[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Overgrow >Blaze >Torrent What were they thinking?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1463510377370.jpg (37KB, 435x435px) Image search: [Google]
1463510377370.jpg
37KB, 435x435px
>Overgrow
>Blaze
>Torrent

What were they thinking?
Starters ability should be unique, one of a kind crafter specially for the new flag mons, one of a kind traits.
I thought moves were fair but come on, some mons besides Swampert learn Muddy Water, some mons besides Sceptile learn Leaf Blade and so on, why do they chose some lame ass abilities then?
I'm sure they could make a great combo of unique abilities, movies only started could learn and somehow bypassing to other mons through breeding or something but not low hanigng fruit.
I mean, starters are kind of a big deal right? at least for me, I like play the game with the starter for the first time.
what does /vp/ think?
ibn4: HA's, Megas.
>>
On one hand I agree, but on the other I fucking hate fighting Greninja so fucking bad that maybe this isn't such a great idea
>>
>>26381247
Why not? I mean imagine some other starter besides Graninja, which its ability and moves are specially catered for it and the full potential of the mon.
>>
>>26381215
>Starters ability should be unique

That would require too much effort and would also be hard to balance.

Starters are a big deal. They're so much of a big deal that the ability tends to not even matter. It's an afterthought. People only started giving a shit with Greninja and Protean.
>>
>>26381215
Really the game just needs a way to convert pokemon abilities/ivs/stat bonuses/whatever so you can actually use the friend you went through the game with postgame instead of its 20th generation grandchild.

What actually really needs to happen (but has 0 chance) is completely reworking abilities to be more fitting and interesting so that pokemon can have multiple abilities if it would fit and don't have to have lame filler like pressure and overgrow/blaze/torrent except in cases where it actually makes sense.
>>
>>26381281
That is a great point, exactly that is why I did this thread, according to the story, and the kind of game they try to sell us (starters are or first friends, companions and life-long partners kind of deal) it would be more than nice to have special thing about them not only design that is often less than decent.
>>
>>26381289
WOW That's true!
I mean, sometimes they are really just fillers! I neved liked Pressure nor Swarm or Starters Abilities, this is such a great point, imagine your Pokémon could change the ability, gain it through some real thought strategy or something like that, something you could craft maybe?
I am aware of the different abilities a mon can have, and the capsule item but this you're saying breaks it the way it works for the player, and gives the choice to use them regarding the situation he's in not having to train another mon.
>>
>>26381215
That's why they have HA starting Gen V.
>>
>>26381215
The system of 3 starter pokemon is to introduce new players to the fundamentals. The abilities are chosen so that they don't create confusion regarding the game rules. They mainly create moments where the starter is in trouble and manages to kill something that would otherwise stay alive, thus making the starter feel like something you can count on in a tight spot.
>>
>>26381281
Are you joking? Kickin chicken was the trailblazer of starters getting ass stomping abilities
>>
Why not just buff the starter abilities?

Make them so they always get the boost. Or at acts like speed boost
>>
>>26381215

To a degree i understand and agree with you. OP. However...

Those three abilities are pretty much "starter" abilities. They aren't overpowered and they don't effect the overall gameplay to much of a degree.

Starters can and have had signature moves that set them apart in that regard. And, even though you said inb4, hidden abilities and mega evolution provides starters with a way out of those abilities.

Starters have superior stats to most wild pokemon. Creating unique abilities for each set of starters every generation would lead to some balancing issues aside from the obvious creative issues. Power Creep is bad enough as it is. I don't think starters need to further stagnate other, older pokemon.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.