[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How did this happen? I don't even nevessarily hate X and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 4

How did this happen? I don't even nevessarily hate X and Y (although they're probably some of my least favorite in the franchise) but damn lmao
>>
tl;dr

what point are you making?
>>
File: jelly.jpg (27KB, 420x321px) Image search: [Google]
jelly.jpg
27KB, 420x321px
>>25984653
you could find wild jelly
that is why the games are praised
>>
>>25984671
Why were X and Y such critical darlings when they're maybe a 6/10 at the very most and almost every fan agrees
>>
>>25984717
>they're maybe a 6/10 at the very most
There's your opinion.
>almost every fan agrees
And there is your retarded assumption.

If you want an actual answer:
Reviewers give high scores for almost every game, this is nothing new. Something really needs to suck to be given low score.
>>
>>25984750
They have the highest combines Metacritic scores of any Pokemon game, just barely beating out HG/SS and B/W. It's not just that they got high scores, it's that they got the highest.
>>
>>25984653
Because they look good and the social aspects are objectively better implemented than in any other game.
XY's main problem is it not being particularly challenging but I can see why no reviewer cared about that.
>>
>>25984717
>and almost every fan agrees

You're a cretin
Don't confuse /vp/ and the fandom
Here BW are worshipped and XY hated, outside it's the contrary
Merely 4chan's contrarian spirit at work
>>
>>25985199

This. Did you know ORAS was well-received almost everywhere except /vp/? Stop acting like the entire fanbase holds the same beliefs as 4chan.
>>
>>25985125
>XY's main problem is it not being particularly challenging
This is the most retarded argument that I keep seeing everywhere

When has anyone ever played pokemon for it's challenging and in depth gameplay? There are a bout a million other games out there at the same price point with the same level of involvement that are ten times as challenging and rewarding of critical thinking.

Pokemon challenging, it's gambling. And in gen VI, your odds got better. How is this any kind of issue?
>>
>>25985260
Because a surprisingly big amount of /vp/ plays the games for the single player. For whatever reason, although I guess it usually comes down to brand loyalty.

But yeah, I assume most reviewer look at it mainly as a social game, since that's what the games are intended as.
>>
>>25985256

ORAS was only well received by mega casuals. Anybody who doesn't immediately shelf the game after becoming champion expressed disappointment in them.
>>
>>25984653
Probably because they were good games, idiot.
>>
>>25985813
this
>>25984653
you are a dumb faggot
>>
>>25984653
Probably because casuals were impressed by the 3D graphics. I mean just look at your screencap, most of the praise is for the graphics and art, not the gameplay or story or whatever.
>>
File: the-dream-scary-stories-3.jpg (141KB, 593x884px) Image search: [Google]
the-dream-scary-stories-3.jpg
141KB, 593x884px
>>25985199
>>25985256
>>25985813
>>25985860
Hey man, it's okay if you like the games, no need to get so angry about it. I don't even post here that much, /vp/ is only one small aspect of my interaction with the fandom. In my experience, older fans who have been with the series pretty consistently just tend not to care much for them. It's definitely more of a popular opinion on here than anywhere else, but after the initial release and hype, people's opinions on it were mostly either "They were ok" or "They were really bad" or somewhere in-between. People who hadn't played since Gen I or didn't care much for the series in the first place (aka most reviewers) were usually blown away for whatever reason, but more passionate fans didn't seem to feel the same way, I think.

I reiterate, I didn't hate XY, I just didn't really like them either.

>>25985256
I actually believe ORAS is better than /vp/ generally gives it credit for and the reaction here does seem to be far more negative than anywhere else.

>>25985125
A lot of my problems with XY also had to do with unusually bad plot and characters, unusually lacking post-game (comparable to RS and RBGY), and an IMO unusually boring region. The social aspects are good, yeah.

Gen VI looks about as good as any other game, it just depends on what style I feel like looking at. The only time a Pokemon game hasn't looked very good for what it was was early Gen I's bad sprites and BW/BW2's bland overworld style.

>>25985260
Pokemon has never been super challenging but there is such a thing as too easy, and you really notice it with Gen VI. You don't need a challenge to be really hard in order to at least feel satisfying to overcome. With XY I actually felt myself subconsciously wanting to make poor decisions in order to make it feel a little less easy and boring. And that was during a Nuzlocke.

Why not bring back difficulty levels. BW2 hard mode were nice, and a few bosses gave me an actual tough time.
>>
>>25986078
You're not getting the point anon none of the, said they think X and Y was the best game of that year, they just said or even upset about it. They just said not to mix up /vp/ shit opinions with literally every other site or place.
>>
I liked XY because it introduced a lot of new things, and even replaying it is fun because every encounter on a route you see a Pokemon you didn't realize was even there before.

ORAS are the real trashy games because they're remakes yet couldn't even surpass Emerald.
>>
>>25986157
Even if that's the case, and I feel sort of inclined to agree, I'd still rather play ORAS over XY because RS were still just stronger games to begin with, and ORAS are better than those. (Except in the music department, in which case its a little worse)

>>25986106
I know, I just think that this isn't exclusively a /vp/ opinion, and it's actually fairly popular outside of here among bigger fans of the series. Maybe /vp/ hates on it so often because this is where alot of the really passionate fans come to congregate. You don't get as many people who aren't just super into Pokemon.

Unfortunately this is all anecdotal. I don't know if there's any way to get some good stats on the community's feelings on the games as a whole and how it correlates to their time spent with the series.
>>
>>25986157
>ORAS are the real trashy games because they're remakes yet couldn't even surpass Emerald.
Meme supreme right here.

Anyway ORAS far outstrips Emerald for various reason including the several features introduced in prior generations and online bases as well as more customization options for them.

This gives the game leagues of content over Emerald. On top of that there's features like the Dex nav that reduce the slog of breeding for the post game by a large degree. ORAS did a lot to remove the slog gen 3 had to be honest.

Anyway, most people just cling to the BF and lump in the other Emerald additions to make it sound like they were worth while and let's be honest, things like the mirage tower, Trainer Tower etc. were unnecessary to a large degree.
>>
>>25985199
>BW
>hated
Stop browsing youtube comments and facebook.
>>
>>25986200
>leagues of content
>>
>>25986200
>This gives the game leagues of content over Emerald

Nope. Emerald BF is hours worth of post game. Secret bases are worthless except for grinding Pokemon.
>>
>>25986200
Yeah, the standard series Quality of Life stuff is, I suppose worth mentioning when comparing games, but also, who's going to start breeding comp. Pokemon in a Gen III game in the year of Two Thousand Sixteen? For what purpose? ORAS being the most up-to-date pretty much makes them the best games to default to right now but once S/M comes out and becomes the "Main Game" it's going to come down more to which one's more single player oriented qualities are better, and Emerald still has a valid grip on ORAS's balls in the form of Battle Frontier.
>>
>>25984653
because basically only yahtzee can criticise pokemon and not be torn apart. everyone else has to skirt around the fundamental problems and point out framerate drops when the real problem is that the ai sucks, the exploration is tedious, the story violates the tone of the gameplay, and the replay value is found entirely outside the main game.
>>
XY and ORAS being piss easy was bad enough, but the lack of postgame is even worse.
>>
My little bro told me him and his friends think it's the best pkmn. Granted he's in gr 8 and only played like 4, 5, 6.

I think it has something to do with wonder trade or the accessibility of the gts.
>>
>>25986192
>and it's actually fairly popular outside of here among bigger fans of the series

For one it's impossible to tell if the small amount of people disappointed with it visit here or not to verify if they're truly outside of /vp/
Two, the no true Scotsman fallacy in your post. Also what is a passionate fan exactly?
Because I could say it's someone who values the multiplayer and collection aspects the game is based around rather than the parts that never held any real importance to the games like the main story for instance.
You can't label someone as a "passionate fan" just because their concerns align with yours when someone else could be just as our even more passionate to something else that had been improved with these games.
>>
>>25986078
The plot is about on the same level as most other pokémon games. Characters might be slightly worse.
The region was pretty good at the start but I agree that the later parts had little character. That said I still think it looks far better than Hoenn in 3D which is incredibly blocky.
As for the single player post-game it is kind of shitty, but remember that most people actually play other games besides pokémon.
>>
>>25986248
>Emerald BF is hours worth of post game.
Only due to the frustration of getting a working team mind you. Breeding didn't work like it did now and the Frontier had just as much RNG bullshit as the later games.
Anyway what they had was visual variety for the most part because 5 out of 7 facilities didn't even change the mechanics or requirements for victory. Even then the Palace was abysmal for the RNG reasons above and that it promotes breeding and grinding in a game that lacks decent breeding mechanics and grind spots.

In any case the raw content was considerably shorter, Replayability isn't a factor either because that's entirely down to personal preference.

>>25986258
>Pokemon in a Gen III game in the year of Two Thousand Sixteen? For what purpose? ORAS being the most up-to-date pretty much makes them the best games to default to right now but once S/M comes out and becomes the "Main Game" it's going to come down more to which one's more single player oriented qualities are better
I'd say that ORAS would still get the edge just for the Dex nav in that regard and the fact that it contained the other half of the pokedex at the time there's also the bike loop as well.

As for Emerald's frontier well, you have the facts above. And even with that it's still lacking in comparison.
>>
>>25984717
>"Professional" review sites
>giving high ratings to popular franchises like pokemon

What did you expect, the lower scores you'll find are the spin-offs
>>
Maybe because X and Y were great games. I wouldn't say 10/10 but IMO they are probably my third favourite installments in the series including remakes
>>
>>25986262
Pokemon actually has pretty good replay value through the main game because the large volume of monsters available means you can have a different experience every time and leaves room for countless amounts of self-imposed challenges and stuff like that. AI could and should be better, but I don't really find exploration to be tedious unless you're in a cave or water or other designated random encounter hell-zones.

Also what do you mean by "story violates tone of gameplay" Like are you saying it's too dark or something

>>25986277
No True Scotsman is when you create an arbitrary distinction about some group in order to gatekeep or uphold/tarnish its reputation, etc. If I was No True Scotsman-ing, I would have said something like "Only true/passionate fans like XY, and if you like them then you can't possibly be a very big fan of the series" which isn't what I believe. What I do believe is that those I've seen who have more personal/emotional investment in the series, the kind of people who sink hundreds of hours in these games, tend to have a more negative/lukewarm opinion as opposed to people who don't. Again, I can't really prove this with data or anything, so it's just anecdotal, I suppose.

>>25986286
It's also maybe worth considering that these came hot off the heels of B/W, which were, in my opinion, the only time a Pokemon game was actually elevated by its plot. XY's plot would've been okay if it weren't for the lame as hell implementation of the legendaries and hilariously nonsensical climax in which Lysandre becomes Doc Ock for reasons that aren't explained in the games themselves. Besides that, it had potential to be decent. AZ's story and the whole Gr8 War thing had potential but I needed to feel more invested in him. Also the part where you battle him and he learns what it means to be a trainer or whatever gibberish was dumb and only really made sense when they did that with N in BW.
>>
>>25985796
Wrong. I enjoyed ORAS because how could I not enjoy Hoenn with WI-FI?
I put hundreds of hours into it because I play PvP.
The only thing that I had a problem with was that there was nothing besides bike simulator and catching legendaries to do in thr post game
>>
>>25986286
Also Pokemon has always had its fair share of shallow characters but I think your "friends" felt more grating than usual because they were people you never met who you sit down with and they give you a nickname and insist you are ~BFFs~ and stalk you for the rest of the game and bother you with their one-dimensional personalities, one of which can be adequately be described as "likes to dance"
>>
>>25986443
Well at least the Legendaries had a reason to be captured this time unlike every gen 4 and 5 legend.
>>
>>25986451
That's pretty much how you develop friends dude.
You don't know them, then you talk, then you're friends.
>>
>>25984717
>maybe a 6/10 at the very most
6/10 in the world of video games means terrible trash garbage you shouldn't touch to most people. Using a reasonable scale for rating games is asking too much of game journos
>>
>>25986457
What?
>>
>>25986472
Maybe on your terrible scale, but 6/10 is not bad
>>
>>25986483
I don't think you know much about how video game scales work.
>>
>>25986490
No, I do. You on the other hand clearly don't.
>>
>>25986476
The 3 perfect IVs. Prior to gen 6 there was no point in recapturing Legendaries.
>>
>>25985199
>BW hated
Are you a time traveler? Why don't you go back to the past where you belong.
>>
>>25986472
You've got that wrong, in these days the 9s and 10s are often reserved for paid reviews for trash games.
>>
File: video game ratings.png (31KB, 802x704px) Image search: [Google]
video game ratings.png
31KB, 802x704px
>>25986497
If you think it is anything other than the middle of pic related then you're blatantly wrong, unfortunately.
>>
>>25986526
Top is what they are.
Middle is how people view metacritic scores.

You bought into the /v/ meme. Shame on you.
>>
>>25986552
Assassin's Creed Unity has a metacritic score of 70.
Show me one game with a huge marketing campaign that got less than 60.
>>
>>25986572
Only if you tell me what that has to do with anything?
Because that's just one huge non sequitur.
>>
>>25984717
XY were marketed really, really well. DP and BW weren't.
>>
>>25986583
Fine.
Games with huge marketing campaigns usually gets covered a lot by the same sites that make the reviews. Hyping up games for then to give them shitty scores makes them look bad.
Now please give me an example.
>>
>>25984717
>>25984653
Xand Y are objectively the best games in the series.

You autistic redditors shit opinions don't matter.
>>
>>25986590
BW had better review scores.
It's also the only pokemon game to get a perfect 40 in famitsu
>>
>>25986598
So in other words it has nothing to do with this conversation at all and you just want to move goalposts.
>>
>>25986610
They're about the same. X/Y has a metacritic score of 88/87 while B/W has 87/87.
As for famitsu you are correct, but XY did get 39. Not sure why people pay so much attention to that magazine though.
>>
>>25986610
Regardless, the public gave more of a shit about XY than DP and BW combined.
>>
>>25986621
No. It has everything to do with the conversation. Surely any AAA game would be placed on a 5-Alright if that was how reviews actually work.
>>
>>25984653
I honestly love xy and oras, the story wasnt good but i felt like it made up for it with new megas, and flying the latios and latias, along with 3d sprites (some of then suck and they need to redo them like nidoking) plus i like alot of gen6 mons malamar all the starters were amazing cept delphox, braixen is cool, malamar, slurpuff, goodra,phantump,hoopa,hawlucha,barbaracle,aeigislash,pangoro and talonflame are all dope
>>
>>25986598
>>25986598
>Hyping up games for then to give them shitty scores makes them look bad.
That is entirely irrelevant anon. Also it would mean that the highest scoring games are trash because they're only giving them high scores for publicity rather than their own views.

Also that wouldn't make reviewers look bad but the people running the ad campaigns in the sense that they're covering up the flaws of the game.

Oh and Sonic 06
15th anniversary sonic game, people were excited due to the demos and what not looking fantastic. There was a lot of hype surrounding it and then the rest is history.
>>
>>25986644
Are you even following your own argument?
>>
>>25986685
>That is entirely irrelevant anon. Also it would mean that the highest scoring games are trash because they're only giving them high scores for publicity rather than their own views.
Nah, 9 and up are usually good games. A 7 is the best example of a score that seems high but is mostly used for games that failed to live up to the expectations.
>Also that wouldn't make reviewers look bad but the people running the ad campaigns in the sense that they're covering up the flaws of the game.
A decent amount of gaming sites have the same people do reviews and cover news.

I will give you Sonic 06, although there are a fair share of examples that show otherwise as well, like Spore at 84 or Guitar Hero 5 at 85.
>>
>>25986800
>9 and up are usually good games.
There has yet to be a game with a 90 or higher that was good.
Often it's a trash tier game with abysmal content and gameplay and the only reason it got a high score was because the reviewers were bribed.
>>
>>25986800
>>25986877

To both of you, what qualifies as the most 'valid' game reviewer? One that often gives genuine reviews?

Following from that, what's your opinion on GameInformer ?
>>
>>25986877
>Toby Fox paid millions for his reviews
>>
>>25986605
what a fucking retard
>>
>>25986908
>Implying free games isn't a bribe
Also undertale isn't good at all.>
>>
>>25986911
Lmao getting butthurt at someone's opinion
I bet you're one of these disgusting people who worship Gen 5...
>>
>>25986947
>I bet you're one of these disgusting people who worship Gen 5...
Lmao getting butthurt at someone's opinion.
I bet you're one of these disgusting people who worship Gen 4.
>>
>>25986899
First guy here. I really don't read many game reviews anymore now, but I usually go to eurogamer if needed. Generally any reviewer that drops numerical score does at least something right in my opinion.

Can't say I have much experience with GameInformer.
>>
>>25987102
Not related to whatever e-debate over games journalism is going on right now, but GI just doesn't really like Pokemon that much (at least, if you believe in the meme and see the 7 to 8's it usually gives them as them not liking them) and criticized XY for "feeling too much like a Pokemon game" of all things.

Here's a thought: Why do reviewers expect Pokemon to stop being what it is? If they don't like JRPGs they can go somewhere else. The games just aren't for them. Pokemon has plenty of spin-offs for if they like the concept/monster designs/whatever but don't like turn-based combat. Why do we always have to hear about how Pokemon needs to become the kind of game they want to play when there's so many spin-offs that have covered almost every conceivable base by now? I really hope Pokken gets the "I want ~REAL~ Pokemon battles" guys to shush
>>
>>25987200
>I really hope Pokken gets the "I want ~REAL~ Pokemon battles" guys to shush
you wish

for those that played the game the argument has now switched to "i want that kind of battles in the handheld series now!"
>>
>>25984717
Maybe because everyone else isn't just a whiny Pokémon fan who cries because there's no Battle Frontier.
>>
>>25985199
XY hate is everywhere and for good reason.
>>
I do wonder if part of the reason/correlation fans on /vp/ don't like a game depends on how surprised they are vs. How controversial the games themselves were. People here love BW but definitely hate the starters and their evolutions and it's hard to see that hate being not directly related to Wottergate and "fire/fighting". There's also hate for the new mons in gen 5 and those were leaked before the game, but that seems to be lessening recently.

XY had fairygate so there's backlash against fairies but overall the games are decently popular, with their flaws, mostly just people expecting some tune ups from a third game.

ORAS gets shit on though because literally everything got leaked ahead of time, both from GF marketing everything in the games like Megas and Delta Episode and from the demo datamine. With nothing new to hype over at release, fans killed their own hype by spoiling what was in the game. Doesn't mean the games weren't just good or bad because individual opinions, but I feel they're dragged down on average because fans knew what they were getting into.

So do you think people would have a better opinion of the new games if they knew less about them before release? If dexes weren't leaked or if GF didn't tease everything?
>>
>>25984653
It's a 9/10 for me. Would be 10/10 if the gym and league battles were tougher.
>>
>>25988780
This to be honest.

Got me back into the series after being prepared to give it up following the travesty that was Gen 5
>>
X and Y were some of the worst Pokémon games made to date. Not even the supposed good features can save it, because most of it falls flat on it's face after a while anyways (Amie is just a useless minigame taking up space, PSS is just Jap scum central years after release, 3D animations arr bland, desaturated and pale in comparison to fucking Stadium and Black and White, 3D areas are obtuse with awful angles, etc.).
>>
>>25986248
>my battle tower clone is better than your battle tower clone
Fuck off, retard.
>>
Gen VI was a mistake
>>
>>25988848
And yet those are still better than what came before.
>>
>>25985796
And you got most of these impressions from where exactly?

would it happen to be right here in this board?
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.