[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You have 10 minutes to explain why there needed to be a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 10

File: Untitled.png (47KB, 520x410px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
47KB, 520x410px
You have 10 minutes to explain why there needed to be a 2nd magic type.
>>
>>25899411
To fuck up dragons.
>>
>>25899411
Cute type =/= magic type
>>
>>25899411
Because apparently being a pink blob is important enough to get your own type.
>>
>>25899411
Official thread music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2Q_fO7fhJI
>>
>>25899430
and boost poison
>>
Don't you know how fiction works?

Psychic powers and "proper" magic are typically different categories. Psychic magic leans towards sci-fi, while Fairy magic goes with fantasy.
>>
Neither are "magic type"
>>
I'd say fairy is more comparable to dragon than psychic, being another type that's a mythical creature with many different interpretations.
>>
>>25899411
Mystics=/=mind reading and psi
>>
Psychic is meant to be the witch/wizard magic type and Fairy was meant to be the folkloric magic type but it ended being the pink blob type.
>>
>>25899411
Psychic>>>Fairy
>>
>>25899411
Because Psychic isn't nerfed enough apparently
>>
>>25899430
They could've made Ice resist Dragon and made Dragon weak to Normal (everyday hero slays the big bad dragon; mammals > reptiles; both non-elemental types; irony of the default type associated with early route junk, cute pink blobs, and gimmickmons beating the type full of pseudos and legendaries) and/or Steel (dragons are killed with swords/polearms; they wanted to buff Steel offensively anyway).
>>
>>25899446
>some pink blobs are now fairy type
>some are still normal type
>some yokai pokemon are now fairy type
>some yokai pokemon stayed the same
What annoys me the most is how inconsistent Fairy type is.
>>
>>25899499
Game Freak hate Ice-types, so that would never happen. They created Fairy-types to render Ice-types even more useless.
>>
File: ant.jpg (3KB, 69x50px) Image search: [Google]
ant.jpg
3KB, 69x50px
>>25899411
Why did we need 2 earth types?
>>
>>25899411
"magic types"? More like "Waifu types"! (No, srly, there are so many waifus in these types).
>>
>>25899541
Because rock types are usually made of rocks while Ground types are usually mammals. Rock/Ground types don't have a need to be part ground aside from taking x4 damage from Grass and Water.
>>
File: VSMysterious_Sisters.png (110KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
VSMysterious_Sisters.png
110KB, 400x240px
>>25899481

Only shitty wizards and witches like Delphox are Psychic.

The real magical power is in Ghost and Fairy.
>>
>>25899411
You have 10 seconds to tell me why Psychic isn't one of the worst types now.
>>
>>25899541
How would you handle its interaction with Flying?
Quakes and tremors make no sense hitting them but rocks do.
>>
seems like fairy is primarily pokemon associated with the moon more than anything
>>
>>25899653
>A Fire/Fairy moon rabbit starter or legendary in SuMo.

YES PLEASE, YEEEEEEEEEEES.
>>
>>25899680
>fire rabbit
No. It's gonna be the octopus.
>>
File: HNI_0057.jpg (5KB, 389x103px) Image search: [Google]
HNI_0057.jpg
5KB, 389x103px
Why do we need two spooky types?
>>
>>25899411
Fairy is a solid dragon buster
>>
>>25899728
>Dark
>spooky
pick one
>>
Pure Fairies and some of the retconned Fairies are like Dragon: inconsistently defined by a vague physical descriptor (Dragon: powerful reptiles, Fairy: cute blobs) and they have mythical elements to them but are not necessarily magical (e.g. Haxorus is just a strong dinosaur and Slurpuff is a cartoony doglike thing).

Secondary Fairies (i.e. Mr. Mime, Granbull, Azumarill, Mawile, Whimsicott, and Klefki) and Fairy-type moves seem better defined as pertaining to their behavior and fighting style. That is they fight playfully and/or use their charm to confuse the opponent. In this regards the type is a lot like Fighting (fighting with strength and honor) and Dark (fighting with underhanded tactics).

Incidentally, those are the 3 types Fairy is strong against.
>>
Water/Ice
Why do we need two water types?
>>
File: 1452213839822.png (289KB, 491x569px) Image search: [Google]
1452213839822.png
289KB, 491x569px
>>25899465
>literally basing your argument on how canon different fictions are

there are no words to explain how fucking stupid this is
>>
>>25899411
I have no fucking idea what they were thinking with Fairy. Sure it made Dragon worse and Poison a bit better, but what else did it do?
Make Steel even better and Bug worse, outclass Psychic and Ice. All horrible ideas.
Fighting did need a nerf from gen V, but Fairy and Gale Wings+Aerilate made it way too shitty.
>>
>>25899708
>octopus
>associated with the moon
>>
>>25899411
Phychic is mental
Fairy is natural
>why steel when we have rock?
>why dark when we have normal?
Its just some lame type the creators came up with to re-ballance the system and shake things up a bit
>>
>>25899411
psychic=/=magic you yutz

You may as well lump ghost and dragon in there too if you're gonna so loosely define it like that.
>>
>>25899411
What does Psychic have to do with MAGIC. Are you dumb OP? Do you know what the fuck magic is???
>>
>>25899465
Psychic type magic is common in fantasy too. Like wizards and shit like that have stronger connections to Psychic than Fairy.
It just depends on if you draw the magic from wisdom, or directly from faith/nature.
>>
Better question:
If the delphox line is based on witches, which are associated with fairytales and magic, why are they not fire/fairy instead of fire/psychic?
>>
>>25899848
Bug/Grass/Poison
why do we need three green types?
>>
>>25899882
It didn't really make Dragons in general worse. It made less-good dragons like Flygon and Druddigon even worse, while Garchomp and Salamence still rule the competitive scene.
>>
>>25899919
Explain why Delphox and Hoopa are Psychic then. Which are based on a witch/wizard, and a genie, common users of magic.
And they where introduced in the same fucking generation as Fairy itself.
>>
>>25899948
>Grass
>not Plant type
>>
>>25899935
Fairy is neo-Dragon. We will never get a Dragon typed starter, and probably won't get Fairy either.
And also because Fairy would fuck up both the Fighting and Dark type starters Delphox was grouped with, so there's balancing concerns.
>>
>>25899935
Fire/Fairy fucks up the double typing triangle they have with the Kalos starters, since it has an advantage over Dark and Fighting.
>>
>>25899951
Man the metagame is going to be so fucked as soon as they introduce a fairy mon that isn't shit
>>
>>25899920
>wizards
>stronger connections to psychic than fairy
I hope this is bait.
>>
>Ok...Dragons and Steel types are getting really strong...we should introduce a nerf
>Ok, lets just remove 2 resistances steel has. perfect!
>Dragons...well its only weak to 2...We should take this opportunity to introduce a more direct nerf with a new type.
>Ok, should we create an entirely new type? like Light? Make new pokemons with that?
>Nah...too much work, lets see what we have already and work with that
>Sound type?
>What with Whismur only? Chatot?
>Ok what about...hey wait we have a bunch of normal types, lets change them. They are all cute...Cute Type?
>Make it more marketable.
>Bingo, Fairy

this was after a huge bong hit
>>
>>25899992
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Magic_Room_(move)
>>
Psychic is mental powers, Fairy is traditional fantasy magic.
>>
PSA:

Psychic's real name in Japanese is Esper.
>>
>>25899992
What's the problem?
Wizards are frequently depicted as scholars and people that has learned magic through extensive research. Far from all of them are of a mythological race.
>>
>>25899990
M-Altaria, Fairy Arceus, Azumarill, M-Diancie, M-Garde, Clefable, and Xerneas aren't shit.
>>
GF should have just made Ice type resist dragon type attacks

Prove me wrong
You can't
>>
>>25899411
Just compare Psychic and Fairy Pokemon of similar hierarchy and you'll get the difference. Like Clefable and Alakazam, Mewtwo and Xerneas, the Psychic pixies and Diancie,etc
>>
>>25900142
GF hates Ice types.
>>
>>25900142
Ice-type is a joke type.
>>
>>25900091
Klefki is fucking terrifying or at least was when swagplay was a thing
>>
>>25899411
Because fuck dark types and fighting types, that's why.
>>
>>25900154
>the Psychic pixies and Diancie,etc
If anything that shows how interchangeable the types can be, because I would set just about all of them to Fairy instead of Psychic.
>>
>>25900166
I don't know why I left it out.
And M-Mawile. 210 attack is no joke. Until somebody uses Gastro Acid
>>
>>25899499
>Dragon weak to Normal
now that's a hilarious idea
>>
>>25900181
>fuck dark
you're saying this the same generation knock off got a ridiculous boost, if anything dark is better than ever
>>
>>25900194
The lake guardians all represent aspects of the human mind so Psychic is definitely fitting for them. They should've been Psychic/Fairy but I guess GF wanted Xerneas to be the first Fairy Legendary.
>>
File: 1418230364503.png (117KB, 389x272px) Image search: [Google]
1418230364503.png
117KB, 389x272px
>>25899863
Im sorry, I should have based my argument on real life magic and psychic powers, you fucking doughnut
>>
>>25899992
In D&D terms, Psychic would be wizards and psions (Intelligence) and Fairy would be sorcerers and bards (Charisma).
>>
>>25900194
>If anything that shows how interchangeable the types can be, because I would set just about all of them to Fairy instead of Psychic.
Exactly what I mean. The two types do interlap in some areas, but they also differ. You could make a case for Celebi being Psychic and a case for it being Fairy, for example.
>>
>>25899954

Delphox doesn't have actual magic, it uses its psychic powers to control fire.
>>
>>25900215
it doesn't work like that, first EVs, IVs and nature come into play, then the fucking attack gets doubled. it goes into 668atk, also poison immunity
>>
To BTFO fags that were convinced that something couldn't happen simply because they didn't want it.

Just like how religious people are convinced that there is a God, and they can't accept the opposite opinion because it makes their own life pointless and they don't know what to do.

Fairy Type is pro atheist

But seriously, the opposite, being adamant that something is possible simply because, is just as bad. Doubt, and don't fear being wrong.
>>
>>25900215
Its closer to 255+ as it maxes out at 678 attack. 210 maxes out at 570, 255 maxes out at 669.
>>
because you're a fucking faggot OP
>>
>>25900055
This changes nothing, but thanks i guess.
>>
>>25899499
Why not Steel? After all every hero needs a sword to slay the dragon.
>>
>>25900272
I said the basis for the pokémon are magic users.
Magic as a concept doesn't exist in-universe. stuff like creating fireballs or whatever else that can be seen as spells are completely normal there.
>>
>>25899411

Psychics are not magic, they are their own thing. I can't think of a single video game or tabletop game where psychics and mages are in their own category.

This is not to say that they didn't fail when defining what makes a fairy a fairy. As far as I can tell Delphox should be Fire/Fairy. If fairies run on magic they should be the ones to get huge elemental movepools, not psychics, but GF can't go back in time to fix that. As far as I can tell there isn't a single consistency among fairy type pokemon, you can kind of sort of maybe guess at it sometimes but ultimately its just whatever gamefreak says it is. It isn't magic, it isn't the moon, it seems to mostly kind of be the pink cute type but there are plenty of pokemon who fit that description and are not fairies.

So yeah, fairy type is hamfisted and wasn't implemented well, but that isn't because its a second "magic" type.
>>
>>25900303
>Myth type is pro-atheist.
This is what Fedora tippers believe...
>>
File: 1459042443917.gif (190KB, 360x360px) Image search: [Google]
1459042443917.gif
190KB, 360x360px
>魔法, "mahou", is what magic in fantasy is usually called.
>魔術, "majutsu", has a darker occult nuance to it. Think Thule Society or Aleister Crowley.
>>
Psychic is for badass magic like mewtwo

Fairy is for gay shit like the f*cking keys

Lol
>>
>>25900545
>Namefag
>Baiting
>Writing like a nigger
You're underaged, aren't you?

Have you even completed the dex?
>>
Psychics and fairies exist in the Pokemon world, so they are by definition not magical. We only consider them magical because the only claims of psychics and fairies in our world are bullshit. That doesn't mean their concepts overlap.
>>
>>25900513
Which one is which? Is mahou fairy and majutsu psychic?
>>
File: 1377386554931.png (197KB, 382x380px) Image search: [Google]
1377386554931.png
197KB, 382x380px
>>25900055
the meaning is pretty much the same.
>>
>>25900513

Source?
>>
>>25900634

I'm 21 and I still haven't completed the dex. Never had the patience as a kid and don't have the time as an adult. FeelsBadMan.
>>
File: 065.png (2KB, 60x60px) Image search: [Google]
065.png
2KB, 60x60px
>>25900702

I think you can figure it out.
>>
>>25900495
Psychic has always included more than just psychics. "Magic" often being grouped under it. Psychic is more of a magic type right now than Fairy.
>>
>>25900634
Wow racist much ?
>>
>>25900773
ugabuga pls go
>>
Divine magic and arcane.
Schools of magic- abjuration, conjuration, divination, enchantment, evocation, illusion, necromancy, transmutation
>>
>>25901352
Fuck off 3.5aboo
>>
OP, there's a big difference in the themes. Psychic very much alludes to the supernatural, or things that defy our current understanding of how the world works, and to allude to untapped understandings of the world. Levitation, mind reading, amoung other things, are classic examples of claimed occurances that are attributed to a supernatural presence. On the other hand, the Fairy type gives an elusive mythical feeling. They have an element of magic, given that they can harness powers of nature. But the fact that there are only so few and even ones we didn't know had these abilities gives them a sense of rarity and mysteriousness.
>>
File: 1421390159281.gif (947KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
1421390159281.gif
947KB, 500x374px
>>25901372
Ain't even mad 'cause you know it's true
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.