[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

After finally having taken the courage of wading myself through

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 3

File: 1449587286930.jpg (178KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1449587286930.jpg
178KB, 1920x1080px
After finally having taken the courage of wading myself through ORAS's post-game. Can we discuss how outdated FRLG feel in comparison?
>>
>>25815637
If anything, ORAS is a step back.
>>
>>25815642
I spent about 20 minutes (with speed-toggle) trying to evolve my Pidgeotto from level 32 to level 36.
>>
>>25815637

Yes, I can't bring myself to play anything before the phy/spc split anymore and it sucks ass.
>>
>>25815651
>faster
>better
Please no.

Compared to gen 1, LGFR were lretty good. Mostly added features like running and rematch thingy. It took a solid game and keep it solid.

ORAS took a memorable gen, and took out all what made it special to gen 3 fags.
I have to admit that the ORAS games felt boring and left a lot of fans disappointed. It's shit mang, gen 3 was a good gen, ORAS somehow failed to hold up. Not even close to emerald as well.
>>
>>25816370
But you have to admit that FRLG is rather outdated. There's nowhere to grind in FRLG.
>>
>>25816387
Hell yeah it's outdated.
No denying that. Fuck they came out at around the same time as ruby and Sapphire.
ORAS should have been great, especially after following XY (lackluster as fuck). They should have had a handle on the tech, and maybe learned from XY. They obviously didn't.
>>
>>25816408
I think ORAS is fine. Ignoring that Vanilla Emerald has a better story. What's exactly wrong with ORAS?
>>
>>25816387
>There's nowhere to grind in FRLG.

I don't think you've played the games and I feel like you're probably someone who came into the series at gen 5, didn't you?
>>
>>25816408
>OR/AS should've been great
But it was. I don't understand this fucking forced meme. It wasn't an updated version of the originals. It built upon itself. It's better than the originals in every way feasibly possible. Nostalgiacucks and underage meme spewing redditors are truly cancer.
>>
>>25816435
>vanilla emerald had a better story
>literally just the two games pasted together with no effort
>and Steven isn't even there and is replaced by that queer
Emerald was a mistake
>>
File: 1443926618861.png (130KB, 883x721px) Image search: [Google]
1443926618861.png
130KB, 883x721px
>>25816456
>>literally just the two games pasted together with no effort
As I said, Emerald had the better story.
>steven isn't even there
Bulba says he's in Meteor Falls with a level 75~ team

>>25816438
This is not an argument. This is just ad hominem. Literally anyone can download and play the games in literal seconds. It doesn't require skill. Give me an actual reason to humor you further.
>>
>>25816435
>>25816447
Look, for what it is it's fine. It's a solid entry to the series. As a child's game. Sadly there's little for the aging fans.

Little post game. Which I guess should be fine because we have endless battles in the form of the maison and online, right?
Been playing this accursed series for 20 years now. And it's definitely showing its age. The ways GF has been trying to breathe new life into it seem rather fruitless.
Sure megas are interesting, but at certain point many would have been happy with just evolutions, and maybe making some monsters actually usable.

The nostalgia factors does play onto it.
The real question is then, are the games actually worse? Or are a good number of adult fans no longer clicking with the game?

tl;dr games are just okay, some want more than just okay
>>
It was the lack of charm the originals had. You know it to be true.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tU8-4s9rMg
Has more charm than
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfVJLgr4TC4
>>
>>25816510
>Tfw people shit on the trumpets when they were literally the heart and soul of the game.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wfARFF9S5Jg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3ZUBRfdKB8
>>
>>25815637
To me, FRLG games are really good for additional playthroughs but their postgame was needlessly locked away with that 60 Pokemon number (even though the whole idea of Pokemon is collecting them).

They do feel outdated because of single-use TMs and shitty movepools. Also, lack of online activities makes these games kinda... lonely.
>>
>>25816589
I wish they did that more to be honest. There is no incentive to catch em all any more, which is a shame when filling the Pokedex is really the only challenge left to single player.
>>
Every fucking trainer in ORAS only had a single Pokemon, and the exp share made it waaay too easy. They even made getting the exp sharee easier. Also, the game looks way too blocky in 3D
>>
>>25816589
I'd say the larger issue, one that ruins subsequent playthroughs, is not being able to evolve Golbat into Crobat, Seadra into Kingdra, trading other gen Pokemon is locked until postgame and hell, even eggs are untradeable until the National Pokedex is obtained.
What this means for the game is that using gen 2 or 3 Pokemon in a new game, something I, along with many others, enjoy, is impossible on a legitimate cart.

This is something that wisely was not done in future games, but makes new FRLG playthroughs painful, especially for folk who enjoy roleplaying, such as trainers from other regions or someone who has received a rare egg in place of their starter.

Sure, people may say that you can achieve this through use of roms, but many people prefer physical carts.
>>
>>25816506
>The real question is then, are the games actually worse? Or are a good number of adult fans no longer clicking with the game?
As someone that has been playing pokemon for 17 years now, I enjoyed XY and ORAS. XY a lot more but I have also played through Hoenn a couple dozen times by now. Whil the battle frontier would be welcome I've never spent too much time in Battle facilities. If anything my personal complain about ORAS would be the severely limited pokedex before national dex, which was the same with the originals but I've played through those so much. So I just traded over some eggs from X and used a different team. Otherwise they were decent games and I personally didn't expect more from Hoenn remakes. The region is straight forward for the most part and I was never intrigued into exploring it too much(with the water routes being an exception) unlike Johto, Sinnoh or the many Unova side locations/dungeons.
>>
>>25816589
>Also, lack of online activities makes these games kinda... lonely.
I thought I was the only one. I've felt that exact thing after going back to gen 4 and 5 after the wifi shutdown. It just feels incomplete and lonely.
>>
>>25816506
>childrens game
That's not really an excuse. But none of the vanilla games are a challenge. Just play romhacks.

Rising Ruby and Sinking Sapphire are great games, but the sea routes are just a chore.
>>
>>25816447
the cancer are people unable to get other opinions

>>25816632
THIS
>>
>>25816632
I disagree. XY feels like a cheap romhack that just throws random pokemon into an habitat where they don't fit. Gen 1 has great variety, I do agree on your cross-gen evo point, but the habitats in gen 1 make sense. Throwing in a Joltik in a random route in ORAS or a Axew in a forest feels cheap to me.
>>
>>25816669
I agree, Joltik shoulld be found in cities/electrical areas and Axew should be hidden in caves/mountains and other such things.
More thought needs to be placed into the locations of Pokemon.

But the sheer number of available Pokemon partway makes up for the inconsistencies in habitats, if only for replayabilities-sake.
I'm not happy with it, but it DOES keep it interesting.
>>
>>25815637
>>25816632
>you need to register 60 pokemon to get into postgame and remove all restrictions
who the fuck 'yeah, let's put this into the game'
>>
File: 1431348399381.png (52KB, 1138x706px) Image search: [Google]
1431348399381.png
52KB, 1138x706px
>>25816701
This is without trying to fill the pokedex.
>>
>>25816669
>>25816684

I actually hate X and Y's distrbution. 450 is honestly too much for a pokedex. 250 to 300 seems ideal, and just so happens to be what Johto's and Unova's are.

Good size without being overwhelming.
>>
>>25816712
>without trying to fill the Pokedex
>filled half the dex
sounds legit
>>
>>25816732
Just chugging balls at every random encounter that is a new pokemon when playing through the game.

You get rewards every 10 catches too. So it's not like you don't have the initiative.
But yes, that's without trying. When I try this happens and I just can't be arsed to do it >>>25815651
>>
>>25816718
I don't mind if trainers have more pokemon variety. But the encounters should make sense. It's the reason I try to catch every pokemon in their original game.

Also giving out mythicals without an in-game event like Victini had fucking sucks.
>>
>>25816718
It sure can be overwhelming, to which I agree, but I'd say up to 350 would be ideal, but that's in my hopes for a large, varied region.

The 450 of Kalos had the potential to work out well, but being so condensed, along with no wild Pokemon in the back alleys as their only method of encounter (seriously, why isn't this happening all the time? Trubbish found in the grass rather than in the cities? What the hell?) larger caves that went out to unique peak areas or forests with exits hidden behind trees for rarer encounters (perfect place to find Phantump) it made the 450 feel like double that, in a bad way.
>>
>>25816669
Are there any decent XY romhacks like BlazeBlack/VoltWhite yet? I feel like those are the only way to save the difficulty of pokemon games nowadays.
>>
>>25816782
Garbodor found next to a big city and bridge in the route with the shopping mall at least made sense.

But yeah, they just added all the extra mons back to the routes themselves and gave the flowers different colours. Half assed.
>>
>>25816370
To be fair, they were given a shit team and only a year to develop it. Remakes arent always "perfected" renditions of past games. Twilight Princess changed some things for the worst, like controlling Epona, but it was still a solid and enjoyable remake. God forbid a game has flaws.

ORAS was enjoyable. In replaying the old games, it still maintained a certain charm. The dex nav was fun to mess with, flying to routes was a welcomed addition, freely flying around the world was very cool, and the post game was actually fine to me mainly because the whole region had new Pokémon to catch.

The whole POINT of pokemon is to catch them, so why wouldn't the game reward you? Giving experience for catching pokemon is a cool idea. You have more freedom to choose between catching or battling and still get rewarded.

I think if they had more time, ORAS would have been a much more fulfilling experience, but on its own I still had a good time with it.

Maybe you didn't, but just because you're cynical about it doesn't mean the gen itself was bad.
>>
>>25816387
Motherfucker literally everywhere is your oyster with the VS seeker.
I had literally zero problems completing the games when I was fucking nine years old.

The games are outdated, sure, but they're also over a fucking decade old.
>>
>>25818188
Not him, but you don't have to be cynical to acknowledge that a set of games is bad.
>>
>>25818032
Eternal Ex and Wilting Why
>>
>>25818220
Not him, but it's called being an adult and having standards. You shaming someone for having standards is laughably pathetic. It's very leftwing of you
>>
>>25818462
>shaming
>leftwing
u fockin wot m8? Having standards and being an adult capable of honest criticism is why I don't like Gen 6. Gen V was better and so were Gens III and IV.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.