[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think Pokemon would have been as popular if this guy was

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 5

File: sugimori meowth.jpg (9KB, 215x235px) Image search: [Google]
sugimori meowth.jpg
9KB, 215x235px
Do you think Pokemon would have been as popular if this guy was the mascot instead of Pikachu? I read somewhere that Meowth nearly was the mascot in Japan. Any truth to that?
>>
>>25804573
Nah, but Clefairy was nearly the mascot.
>>
He's not the mascot, but he is still super popular in Japan.
>>
>>25804591

Not Jigglypuff?
>>
>>25804573
Maybe and The Pokémon franchise isn't popular, because of Pikachu. The Anime is popular, because of Pikachu.
>>
>>25804621
1st generation Pokémon are popular.
>>
I thought Eevee was the mascot?
>>
Meowth is the mascot of my heart<3
>>
File: meowth.jpg (16KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
meowth.jpg
16KB, 400x300px
>Meowth was almost in Smash instead of Jigglypuff
>we could have had 4 Smash games with an actual decent Pokemon instead of le meme balloon
jdimsa
>>
>>25804621
Nope, definitely Clefairy. One of the first Pokémon manga had Clefairy as Ash's starter, even.
>>
>>25804642
Wanna give that another go, this time in English?
>>
>>25805159
I'm sure if Meowth was in Smash it would have been modeled after the shitty fully bipedal one from the anime.
>>
>>25805260
>shitty
>>
>>25804621
Jigglypuff's "popularity" seems so forced. It appeared the whole first season of the anime and is in every Smash Brothers. You never meet someone whose favorite Pokemon is Jiggly either.
>>
>>25805959
Meowth looks way better when walking on all four and only standing up occasionally for short periods.
>>
>>25806288
Do you really think his run animation wouldn't be running on all fours?
>>
Pikachu was the perfect choice. It's cool but also cute so both boys and girls can like it. Its design is clear, but not so straightforward, a great introductory mon. Meowth is both cool and cute, but its design is too simplistic I think. It's basically a normal cat with a curled tail and a coin-thing on its head. You don't look at meowth and say: wow, I wonder what other mons there could be?
>>
>>25804573
No, Meowth is too much like a regular cat. Its the same reason Eevee would be bad as a mascot, they're just a cat/fox drawn cartoonishly, to someone who doesn't know anything about pokemon they're not unique or memorable at all. Pikachu however is very distinct and not hugely similar to anything found in nature. Plus it gets the idea of pokemon as supernatural creatures through better since Pikachu is Electric and not Normal like Meowth.

Basically, Meowth just looks like a normal cartoon cat to the average person, Pikachu is much more unique and memorable hence why its a better mascot.
>>
>>25806339
I wouldn't put it past Sakurai, he seems to care just as much about the pokémon anime as the games if not more.The Rocket Mewoth is the most famous one after all.
The model in gen VI even uses the horrible posture of the Rocket Meowth.
>>
File: Poliwhirl.png (29KB, 325x269px) Image search: [Google]
Poliwhirl.png
29KB, 325x269px
Out of the first gen pokes Poliwhirl would have been a solid choice as the mascot
>>
>>25806543
>was Red's first pokemon in the Manga

In a way, he's a mascot.

>>25804573
Meowth was picked solely to be Pikachu's foil. The whole Cat and Mouse thing. And ever since episode two, the two of them have a very weird chemistry.

Still, Meowth drunkingly complaining how Pokemon Pikachu Version was a mistake is hilarious.
>>
>>25805260
Well, they probably would have reused the model from the spaceworld guitar demo.
>>
>>25807691
>Still, Meowth drunkingly complaining how Pokemon Pikachu Version was a mistake is hilarious.

Wait is this a thing? Where can i find it?
>>
>>25804573
Meowth was considered to be the mascot for the Pokemon Center stores - back when there was only one. The idea being that he's a lucky cat which you typically see in the front of stores there. They ended up going with Pikachu, Poliwhirl and Charmander before the Tokyo store moved and swapped out Poliwhirl for Piplup.

It ended up being the secondary mascot for the Osaka one though, alongside Squirtle and Pikachu, who remains the primary mascot for all stores.
>>
>>25808026
Seconding this.
>>
>>25806186
I know at least three people whose fave is Jigglypuff
>>
>>25808026
>>25808870
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLIK9OahmOI
>>
>>25808944
>fave is Jigglypuff
Did at least one of these three people ask you if you ever wanted to play a game of pretend?
>>
>>25805231
Interestingly enough it's still running to this day.
>>
>>25810474
I had some paper copies of a couple issues back in the day, what's the title and is it worth searching up online to read? I remember it was purrrr~ettyyy waaaa~ååckyyyy
>>
>>25810517
literally read the filename, also good fucking luck trying to find it online..
>>
>>25810474

Why hasn't there been an official translation of this yet?
Or any translation for that matter.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.