[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do we get rid of HM slaving? Don't get me wrong, I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 2

File: 16753456.jpg (55KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
16753456.jpg
55KB, 500x400px
How do we get rid of HM slaving?

Don't get me wrong, I like HMs; they feel cool and add some nice progression to the game. But the process of using them later on becomes such a fucking hassle. You get more HMs than a single Pokemon can learn, HM slaves take up slots in your party for actual party members, or HM moves take up slots on your pokemon for actual moves you want them to learn. Very few HMs (Surf, Fly) even make a passing grade for decent moves in a casual playthrough, with others (like whirlpool) just being trash, only useful for the HM effect.

How do we fix HMs without getting rid of them or creating more questions? For example, having non-combat Pokemon to use as HM slaves would be a solution, but then would beg the question of why you couldn't send them out into battle if all your other Pokemon fainted
>>
>>25795288
Just avoid them like the plague, just how BW2 and X/Y did it.
Those were the only games where I could do a proper challange run since there were no HMs whatsoever.
>>
>>25795288
Make them all good in combat.
>>
How do you feel about Rock Smash? I like that it's fighting, and there's treasures now. Cut and Strength are both normal but you might never go to the places you use them for more than once, and Strength is powerful.
>>
>>25795288
Pokemon Zeta/Omicron made you use HMs for short time but they are eventually replaced by Key Items. Such as a dolly for strength.
>>
Keep the mechanics in terms of cut/fly/strength but make them into techological gadgets. Progression preserved, HM issues resolved. Or let us have a 5th "HM Slot" on each Pokemon that's unusable in combat
>>
Someone onced suggested to HMs be a secondary function. Example: Rock Smash can be "put" into any fighting type move or Surf can be "put" in any water move.

So this way they keep the integrity of HMs (aka: being able to use multiples and mandatory to progress in the game) without breaking the flow. You would still need a balanced ammount of pokéymans of multiple types.

I think it's a good idea? Maybe dunno
>>
TRAITS
R
A
I
T
S

Pokemon capable of swimming/surfing/whatever you can surf on. You can fly on pokemon that know how to fly. Shit like that. Use common sense for the majority of it. Have some sort of indicator to avoid confusion(maybe some small icons like the markings or the pentagon in the summary screen detailing what can a pokemon do outside of battle).
They still unlock with gym badges like usually. No shitty moves. No cluttering the key item case with more useless garbage like some anons suggest they become. Simple, easy RPG logic.
>>
>>25795456
>>25795460
Hm slot, but only pokes of same type as HM can learn it in HM slot, but you can still teach it normally if you want to (fly, surf)
>>
Take a page out of something like Cyber Sleuth's book. Pokémon learn X amount of moves but can only use 4 at a time. Between battles you can freely move them around.
>>
>>25795511
This is ideal.

>>25795521
>>25795460
>>25795456
These are more overly complicated than they really need to be.
>>
File: 1459394138697.gif (150KB, 160x160px) Image search: [Google]
1459394138697.gif
150KB, 160x160px
>>25795511
Not a bad idea either
>>
>>25795323
upvoted
>>
>>25795535
I dislike any kind of suggestion involving pokemon knowing more than 4 moves or freely switching between moves that it can learn/has learned in the past.

All it does is take away the cost of making choices which I feel like is a crucial element of RPGs. Yeah, you can argue that a heart scale on the move re-learner isn't a big cost, but it doesn't need to be big. It only needs to be enough in order to make you think twice of what move to replace once you get to higher levels. And that's good.
>>
I said this in another thread once but I'll say it again.

4 hms. Surf, cut, strength, fly.
All the rest become TMs.

A pokémon that learns surf can also scale waterfalls, dive, stop whirlpools depending on how many badges you have. Similarly, a Pokemon that knows waterfall can surf, etc. depending on the badges.

Strength moves boulders, smashes rocks, scales mountain sides dependent on badges. The other, now tm moves, scale accordingly too.

Cut and fly remain the same.
>>
>>25795323
QFT
>>
>>25795323
That wouldn't really fix the issue of moveset limitations through must have moves.
>>
>>25795664
Janice, kindly get your dick out of your son and realize that if HM's were some of the best moves your Pokemon could learn, then you wouldn't have to worry about missing out on a 4th move.
>>
>>25795576
There would obviously have to be a balance like only two "side deck"/reserve moves. I completely see your argument though.
>>
>>25795664
But hey, it'd at least fix the issue of HM moves being utter trash, Janice.

>>25795709
And Brandi, Son-of-Law, Dickson means "Son-of-Dick", just like how Dobson means "Son-of-Dob"
>>
>>25795709
Yes, Retard Lawson. That sounds like such a shitty idea. Actually that's the worst type of moveset limitation. One move being so above the rest that you don't have to worry about considering any other.
>>
>>25795727
>Too autistic to play along
WITNESSED
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.