[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>He didn't like Gen V's animations At least they

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 16

File: image.jpg (126KB, 712x458px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
126KB, 712x458px
>He didn't like Gen V's animations
At least they were WAY better than Gen VI models
>>
Yeah, at least Gen V's animations were lively and not boring. Unlike a lot of Gen VI models which were very static and lifeless.
>>
File: 466.gif (58KB, 96x85px) Image search: [Google]
466.gif
58KB, 96x85px
I liked them. They looked alive while not looking fucking retarded.
>>
File: gen 5 animations.gif (773KB, 403x227px) Image search: [Google]
gen 5 animations.gif
773KB, 403x227px
>>
File: 227.gif (77KB, 70x70px) Image search: [Google]
227.gif
77KB, 70x70px
i hope sun/moon will have more lively animations
>>
File: Untitled.png (73KB, 187x220px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
73KB, 187x220px
BUI
>>
>>25779540

Gen V models all look like pixelated garbage. Not as the clean sprites from Gen IV
>>
>>25779551
Sorry, I swapped the two around. I meant that the sprites seemed lifeless and the celshaded models were lively.
>>
>>25779612
Faggot
>>
File: 587.gif (57KB, 83x76px) Image search: [Google]
587.gif
57KB, 83x76px
>>
>>25779650
And you haven't figured out that's everyone here?
>>
>>25779540
I recently started playing White2 after buying it second-hand and yeah those animations were pretty tight.
>>
File: PKMN-XY-Horde-Battles.jpg (27KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
PKMN-XY-Horde-Battles.jpg
27KB, 400x240px
>>25779540
Nah, models are better, you can see the pokémon from many angles, there's a zooming dynamic, it's more interesting to observe in general while in Gen 5 (and below) the same screen gets old really fast, furthermore, many gen 5 animations were lazy as fuck, not only they looks like flash animations that you would see in newgrounds but many older mons had extremely simple ones in most part, they didn't polished all the older ones in the same level of Unova because "they will not appear in the main story anyways".

Also, the spastic style of animation that you can "lively" is just because they were forced to input some kind of movimentation in the limbs of otherwise static sprites, it's not really believable in most part.

I have friends that literally started to play pokémon again because "now it has decent graphics", while I agree that not playing older games just because of the graphics is a dumb reason, I have to adimit that was about time to jump in full 3D, the animations could be better, this is true, but models are inherently different from sprites, XY models have high quality and precision of proportions (with a few exceptions), they can improve this aspect in future games.
>>
>>25779552
Funny that you say that as you post the one of the pokemon jumping up and down like a retard.

I love Gen V, but those sprites and animations were shitty and outdated.
>>
File: 001.gif (20KB, 37x38px) Image search: [Google]
001.gif
20KB, 37x38px
>>25779707
>jumping up and down like a retard
Sounds like something an Electivire would do, though.
>>
>>25779540
how don't diss gen 6 models sure the colors could be better but they still really good

and also if your gonna compare animation could people at least take in account that there is more to Gen VI models then there idle animation
>>
File: 040.gif (37KB, 49x82px) Image search: [Google]
040.gif
37KB, 49x82px
>>25779715
damn that bulba sprite is cute
>>
Admittedly, they could be more dynamic with the models. SMD was a step in the right direction, but it can still be improved upon. Unfortunately, that means nothing for the main series. The question is, at what cost? More poses means more programming, which costs more money. Even then, the only thing they could really do with it is spice up the move animations. Idle animations will never be anything impressive, that's just what they are, or do you not understand what being idle is? If you want pokemon to do cute little things for you, then you should've paid more attention to the Amie, or asked for something that allows pokemon to better express themselves. That will never happen in battle.
>>
>>25779585
can skarmory's wings even give it lift with that kind of design?
>>
File: jynx.gif (53KB, 63x60px) Image search: [Google]
jynx.gif
53KB, 63x60px
Jesus Christ how horrifying.
>>
>>25779698
>XY models have high quality and precision of proportions (with a few exceptions), they can improve this aspect in future games.

Fucking this.

Most of the issues with the models come from a few, very fixable things:

>Sugimori's art style is attempted but not perfected. Lighting and shading isn't dynamic and doesn't mimic Sugimori's style 1-1. Sugi has much more value difference. The outline does a great job but is pixelated, which clashes. Colors aren't as washed out as people think, largely in part due to the aforementioned lack of value difference, but they could still use more blue hues in the shading like Sugi.

>Animations are lackluster. Small amount of them, and they look very restricted.

>Little to no texture work

All of these can be solved. Theyve got their bank of ultra high poly models, so it should be easy to solve at that.
>>
File: shiny m-charizard y.png (437KB, 1024x835px) Image search: [Google]
shiny m-charizard y.png
437KB, 1024x835px
They both have their pros and cons. As someone that loved sprites, I can say that the XY models are a step in the right direction definitely and most of them look a lot better than sprites but they really need to work on some. Also a gripe I have with the models is how all flying pokemon have the same retarded stance and angle in battle. It works for some and it completely destroys others.

M-Charizard Y is a great example. The in battle model looks so fucking retarded beyond belief. Give me something like pic related, I'd love Y. But as it stands, it just looks like it has a retarded forehead from the model angle.

Delphox is another example that comes to mind. The model is so dreadful.

With sprites it was a safer bet on average, I feel like. But as I said, models are better. They just need to work on them more.
>>
File: 006-my[1].png (13KB, 192x127px) Image search: [Google]
006-my[1].png
13KB, 192x127px
>>25779971
Just awful.
>>
>>25779971
Agreed.

The worst part about the flying animations is how unnatural and floppy they all look. When creatures are in flight they dont just dangle all of their limbs, they tuck that shit in to be aerodynamic. Even worse is that they dont treat the wings as if they have joints, they just flap up and down all floppy like.

A wing in flight has to have a very specific articulation to look real and believable. The pokemon just look like 5 year olds flapping fake wings up and down.
>>
>>25779971
>>25779977
Mega Charizard X with its wings that don't flap at all
>>
>>25779988
I'm curious, is there a game that actually does have realistic wing movement, because I don't know a game that does. My knowledge is two generations old, though.
>>
File: 006-mx[1].png (9KB, 153x120px) Image search: [Google]
006-mx[1].png
9KB, 153x120px
>>25780003
Yes, but at least the angle works for it. For Y, its wings look bad in-battle, the central spike looks awful and its legs and tail make it look like a fat dragonite.

A more sideways angle would work better for Y.
>>
>>25780008
As far as pokemon? Not really, no. Stadium was.. OKAY with a few of them. Or at least, Aerodactyl's was, looked like it had weight to it's movements.

As far as other games go, Monster Hunter does a great job. Issues of weight vs. lift and video gamey animations (such as pivoting in place) aside, they use real world animals as a base when designing movements. Rathalos in particular resembles birds of prey when it takes off and hovers.

Pokemon's never designed for 3D so theyve never really had to worry about that shit. To be fair, jumping in 6 gens later to go back and design weighted, convincing animal-like movements for 700+ pokemon is quite a challenge, but that attention to detail goes a long way.
>>
>>25780029
I do want to add, that there's a difference between having flight animations and a wing joint engine.

Monster Hunter uses animations. The individual animations look fantastic, but you do get those typical video game-esque elements like quick cutitng between different animations without proper disposition of weight, unnatural pivoting, etc.. This is more relevant because Pokemon would only need animations, not a physics engine.

Haven't played the game personally, but the game Lair uses an engine for the dragon that you ride, and the wing articulation looks exactly how it should. As far as truly good realistic wing movement, this is the best tha comes to mind.
>>
>>25779585
It won't, they're using the same models on the same system.
At the most we're going to get extremely small changes like they did with ORAS.
>>
File: NOOT NOOT.png (83KB, 414x317px) Image search: [Google]
NOOT NOOT.png
83KB, 414x317px
>>25779780
NOOT NOOT
>>
>>25779768
They're essentially knives. I'm sure it can control their pitch so that they go from being basically wolverine claws to being an air foil.
>>
>>25779540
No they weren't.
>>
File: xatu[1].gif (27KB, 103x58px) Image search: [Google]
xatu[1].gif
27KB, 103x58px
The only issue I have with the models are the washed out colors and the gliding Pokemon.

Pic related, Skarmory, and Tropius got it the worst.
And the most upsetting part about it is that we're going to have to deal with these same animations and models for the next 10+ years.
>>
My only expectations for SuMo are 2-3 new animations for each poke in addition to the already existing ones, and better idle poses for the flying types.
>>
I liked them but Gen VI's models are better other than gliding fliers.
>>
>>25779540
Literally only the Klink line had good animation.
>>
File: 1455852679935s.jpg (4KB, 125x125px) Image search: [Google]
1455852679935s.jpg
4KB, 125x125px
>tfw you realise gen 5 sprites are mostly reused gen 4 sprites
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.