[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Pokemon Reborn any good? It looks pretty ideal from what

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 5

File: reborn.jpg (23KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
reborn.jpg
23KB, 300x300px
Is Pokemon Reborn any good? It looks pretty ideal from what I've seen
>>
Pokemon for emokids
>>
>>25723516
It's pretty cringey. This is coming from a person who knows the creator of it

Try it if you want
>>
>>25723516
I think you're lost

www.scenekids.com
>>
I had mixed feeling about it. It had some really innovative gameplay ideas, a world that was actually fun to explore and offered a fun challenge by making lots of special Pokemon encounters that required a bit more than just fighting and capuring them. This was all ruined by a distractingly dark storyline that felt too forced.
>>
File: 1362420468126.png (19KB, 291x317px) Image search: [Google]
1362420468126.png
19KB, 291x317px
>>25724991
My thoughts exactly.

Also all the characters are terrible in their each unique way. There's gay people everywhere, all the heroes are gurls and all the evul ppl are men. Funnily enough the decision to make them all unique also make them totally forgettable and bland. When the 5th gay person with psychic powers is introduced, you just don't care anymore

>mfw you make one of them attempt an hero during storyline
>>
lots of people bitch about the story, but i'd wager it's no better nor worse than other fanmade games'

the gameplay's pretty novel though (or as novel as a pokemon game can be), and regardless of how you feel about the plot, the game environments are immersive and fun to navigate. by making good pokemon truly sparse, the game forces you to use mons that you might not ordinarily use when playing a mainline game, and by pitting you against truly monstrous (and decidedly unfair) battles every once in a while, it forces you to use a more creative and adaptive playstyle overall
>>
>>25725543
Yea the an hero was when I had to stop playing, the bad just outweighed the good. Was a shame too, cause I had a team set up at that point that I really enjoyed.
>>
Its edgy enjoy
>>
>cant play it on my phone or psp

Not going to play a pokemon game on my computer. No way.
>>
>>25725567
>tfw sweeping everything that isn't nailed down with bide.
>>
>>25723516
If the story were re-worked into something a bit more comprehensible to a general audience, it'd have more potential. The field effects are pretty creative and fun when they don't solely benefit the opponent and/or inhibit the player.
>>
File: 1330549561668.png (234KB, 500x395px) Image search: [Google]
1330549561668.png
234KB, 500x395px
>>25725567
>i'd wager it's no better nor worse than other fanmade games

That's a horrible argument anon. The story is really, truly awful. It's so bad that if it wasn't there it would be an improvement.

The environments are good at times, but suffer from lots and lots of grey city areas. The pacing is also sidewhacked- sometimes you're doing gyms in rows, others you have to fight hours on a 5-level cap increase

I will concede that the battles are fucking fantastic though. Absolutely top tier, and the only reason I finished it.
>>25725656
Shame! a lot of the best battles happen late on. there's a 12v12 battle that is particularly noice
>>25725806
oh boy, field effects. They might as well have you do all gyms with 50% hp

Shit, I just remembered the part where a trans pops OUT OF THE FUCKING GROUND just to have a nice conversation about his preferred pronouns

straight past cringe into hilarity
>>
>>25723516
Pretty much what everyone else has said thus far. Its characters vary from tolerable to horrible, partially because nearly all of them were based on characters from some online league rp. The writing is average, nothing really special, sometimes bordering on cringey and tasteless, but not the worst I've seen in fangames. Where it shines is its mechanics. It's legitimately a tough game (or as tough as Pokemon can conceivably be) with gym leaders not being horrible pushovers. Sometimes the wild Pokemon distribution is whack in that the game seemingly intentionally only gives you shitmons to work with, but I honestly kinda like it that way. It forces you to use less powerful or weirder Pokemon in interesting ways. Your starter will be your best Pokemon for quite a while most likely, though Zubat and Budew are available very early as well.

The main gimmick that it introduces are field effects that are kinda similar to the terrain moves, but much more extensive. Nearly every major battle, including gym battles and most battles against the evil team take place on one of these. Nearly all of them play to the opponents' strength, though you can somehow change the field in your favor or use some other aspect of the field to give you an advantage. For instance in the first fighting gym, basically any move that stirs up wind kicks up sand which lowers the accuracy of all Pokemon on the field. Because a lot of the leader's strategy involves using high jump kick, you can turn it against her by lowering her accuracy, making it more likely for her to take recoil.

Something else that's kinda cool I guess is that there's a larger focus on side quests than in the main games which can help you get cool stuff.

Overall, if you're bored and looking for a challenge, I'd recommend as long as you're fine with lackluster writing and, as a whole, bad characters.
>>
ITT
People thinking Edgy is bad
>>
I was about to check it out but this thread I think I may stay away.

Shame it looks like it would be fun if the story wasn't written by what sounds like my fifteen year old self.
>>
>>25725930
Naw, I really, really wanted to like it. It's just badly done, and feels out of place. There were dark elements I enjoyed it the game, such as the growlithe that loses its trainer, it's just done poorly to the point that its grating. There's an insane asylum full of "omg waffles, random!!!" Girls and mad scientist guy with really painful dialogue. You can do a dark, deep storyline, just handle it with respect, instead of an excuse to insert all your friends cool characters.
>>
>>25725871
12 by 12 battles sound pretty rocking. I gotta give the game credit, the gameplay was so spectular and the story so awful that it inspired me to start working on my own game, just so I could find a way to use the mechanics in a more pleasing enviroment. I've tried all of the creators games, and all have just outstanding mechanics ruined by an unavoidable crappy story.
>>
>>25723516
I have a friend that unironically loves every aspect of the game, especially the story. He never fucking shuts up about how dark and edgy it is. At one point he said it's story is better than all mainline stories.
>>
Reborn really reminds me of a line when Yahtzee reviewed Freemdom Planet on Zero Punctuation

>"On the whole, it's a solid game whose gameplay and art design reflects real effort, talent and enthusiasm, which is why it just breaks my little heart to have to say that the story cocks it up a filthy drainpipe."

>>25726477
Have you considered killing him or are you waiting for him to put you on his will for something?
>>
>>25725871
>The story is really, truly awful. It's so bad that if it wasn't there it would be an improvement

>>25726289
>You can do a dark, deep storyline, just handle it with respect

y'all acting like bioware-tier stories are the norm for this medium

i mean, it's not a great story, but it's no more cringey than shit like pokemon insurgence or glazed or any of the other fangames that get touted about on /vp/. only faggots who're triggered by tumblr or sjw buzzwords don't seem to be able to stomach it
>>
>>25726481
I think i'll just let jerk off to it. He'll die of testosterone depletion eventually. R-right?
>>
>>25726569
Isn't insurgence the same person though? It's more of just there's a lot that should have been omitted, not that I expected groundbreaking story. It could have been kept simple, and it would have been great. The idea of the town's being separated, there being bad sides of town. Actual tradgedy happening to the police, that's good and well. Back alley gangs, right on. But all the weird main story line takes away from this. Just have a protag thats gotta sort through some bad neighborhoods and making it through the gyms, it doesn't need a ground breaking story, just not a game breaking one.
>>
>>25726646
i thought insurgence was some reddit fag's project - wasn't he the zeta/omicron dude too?

you right about the simplicity thing, though. that's exactly where fangames always go wrong - mainline games are too boring, so fangame makers go way overboard in the other direction
>>
I have yet to play a fan game that didn't have a truly awful story. I can live with that if the game itself is solid.
>>
>>25726754
you should go for it
>>
>>25726701
I may be wrong then, always thought it was all the same guy due to similarities.
>>
>>25725543
>the decision to make them all unique also make them totally forgettable and bland
This is the true tragedy here.
>>
>>25726251
It's honestly interesting as a fangame, there was legitimate effort behind it imagine a well-written fanfic, if you will and it's pokemon, so it's fun to play.
If you felt like checking it out before, I would advise you to check it out still. It's really not bad enough to be actively avoided in spite of initial interest.
>>
File: fuck.jpg (3KB, 69x101px) Image search: [Google]
fuck.jpg
3KB, 69x101px
>>25725666
Fucking waste of trips
>>
File: 1457126662803.jpg (67KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1457126662803.jpg
67KB, 480x480px
For the most part I enjoyed it:
The enviornments made areas stand out more, e.g. if you're fighting in a cave, you cause an earthquake/magnitude and the place collapses in on itself. Really kept you thinking.
Pokemon selection, far and few, you need to make a team with generally less desired mons, but a few gems can be obtained in events before the first gym, later on you get 'better' mons. No kidding but I had a lot more respect for grimer/muk that game.
Atmosphere was grimy, you're in a slums and money is tight/low, items are rare and pricet, plus very few places gave a safe feeling like pokemon usually does. It was definitely different feeling and made it feel like an alternate world.
But as mentioned enough, story and characters overdid it, making it all suicide, drama and randomness, it genuinely felt like a 16 year olds fanfic on how it was handled. I've nothing against a dark storyline, but it just didn't set out to be a 'good' one.
After some time I just skipped story when it got too much. Its still very interesting and keeps you planning ahead, worth trying out to kill time.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.