[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

People are always telling me online that I have shit taste in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: 1467742667146.jpg (48KB, 540x482px) Image search: [Google]
1467742667146.jpg
48KB, 540x482px
People are always telling me online that I have shit taste in pretty much everything. How do I stop having shit taste? Is there some kind of chart that tells me what is and isn't OK to like, and I just haven't come across it yet?
>>
>>58732

You have shit taste in people if they deride your personal choices.

Do you have black velvet paintings of Christ on your walls or something? How bad is it?
>>
File: 1357465595497.jpg (2MB, 1128x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1357465595497.jpg
2MB, 1128x5000px
>>58732
>Go to /[?]/.
>Ask for list of approved subjects related to board of choice.
>Change tastes accordingly.
>Repeat for all boards.
>Become superior being.
>>
>>58732
You probably just like popular things. 4chan hates popular things.
Popular things are only popular because people like them.
>>
>>58732

>>58899
This is a valid point. If you just scratch the surface of a medium and never delve then people who have delved are going to find your experience in the subject wanting. Popular things are not necessarily bad but since they are more accessible you will find people that don't really care about the medium giving opinions as if they were as important as someone that has really put in the time and effort to really explore the particular medium. It leads to a lot of superfluous and uneducated conversation that is annoying to people that know better. My advice is when you pick a medium whether that be anime, video games, movies, books, or what have you dig deep. Become experienced in that medium and people will be able to look to you as a source of intelligent conversation instead of an ignorant person with bad taste. You also could just not give a fuck and take your bad taste in stride.
>>
Ditch the yo-kai crap, for starters.
>>
>>58732
I don't want to come off as some kind of condescending memer, but the best solution to not having shit taste is to lurk moar.

That way you'll have a better idea of what not to mention you like when in conversation with people.
>>
>>58737
>be told you have shit taste
>ask 4chan for advice
>be told you have shit taste
>>
File: 1490459903075.jpg (579KB, 1280x661px) Image search: [Google]
1490459903075.jpg
579KB, 1280x661px
>>58909
But isn't this a sure fire way to become a hipster? Nobody wants to be a disgusting pleb with shit taste, but nobody also wants to be an insufferable faggot who's taste are so narrow nobody can relate to them.
>>
>>59159
>but nobody also wants to be an insufferable faggot who's taste are so narrow nobody can relate to them.
You have to have eclectic tastes in order to be an expert. The main problem with hipsters is a closed mind to new and different things. I think you are talking about someone that gets so locked in to one specialization they don't have the ability to truly enjoy the medium as a whole. I wouldn't call them an expert. I would say they are being intentionally obtuse.
>>
File: screw.jpg (151KB, 1035x1290px) Image search: [Google]
screw.jpg
151KB, 1035x1290px
>>58899
>You probably just like popular things.
Not so.

For example, in terms of video games I really like the Sonic Adventure series, and in terms of anime I like the harem and ecchi genres. If I bring either up, even incidentally, on their respective discussion circles online, I'll be immediately derided as a nostalgiafag or a weaboo pleb with shit taste (whatever that word has come to mean these days), respectively.

I've just given up discussing many of my hobbies on the internet. It's just a waste of my time and everyone else's.
>>
>>58732
well what are your tastes that are so shit? like give some recent examples.
>>
>>59170
Just did in the post above yours.
>>
>>59166
I like Sonic Adventure and the occasional harem, OP.
>>
>>58732
Fix shit taste by having more experience with a given subject.
Some people will always whine: tell them to fuck off.
>>
>>59355
Ignore this post.
>>59166
What is wrong with you, that is some pretty mediocre taste right there.
>>
File: 1478394151599.gif (6KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1478394151599.gif
6KB, 200x200px
>>59356
>that is some pretty mediocre taste right there.
But that's just it - what makes my taste "mediocre"? What is "good taste", and how do I get it? Is liking popular things what gives you good taste, or is having taste more about delving deeper into more unpopular things?

I don't get it.
>>
>>59365
Just liking things that are good. Problem solved! Forever!
>>
>>59166
Sonic Adventure 1 & 2 are alright. Not great, but not really terrible either. Everything after was pretty abysmal though in my opinion. Heroes was awful, Shadow was cringey, 2006 qualifies for worst game of all time, and the Wii ones were pretty mediocre as well. Haven't played anything past those so maybe the newer Sonic games are okay, I wouldn't know.
>>
>>59392
How do I know what's good and what isn't?
>>
>>58732
Disregard popularity and strive for objectivity.
>>
>>60739
Not that I'm say you're wrong, but how can you determine objectivity when your opinions are subjective?
>>
Taste changes as you get older. But people will say you have shit taste no matter what. So find a place where people have mostly the same taste as you or get thicker skin.
>>
I disregarded the good/bad scale long ago.
I judge things on the entertaining/not entertaining scale now.
>>
>>60743
You can't, but it's the attempt that is important. It's like how good journalists are supposed to strive to be unbiased and objective. Sure, no matter how hard they try they'll always have some bias, but they should always do their utmost to be objective regardless.

A lot of it is taking a step back from yourself and asking yourself why you're doing something, or why you think you like X or Y. If you can come up with good reasons then you're fine, if you can't think of a reason or if the reasons you come up with seem unsatisfying or petty then perhaps you should reconsider your choices.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.