[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do we save so many images? Like there's no practical

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 9

File: 1448735354912.jpg (191KB, 779x960px) Image search: [Google]
1448735354912.jpg
191KB, 779x960px
Why do we save so many images? Like there's no practical reason to have tens of thousands of images saved.

Do you think it's to satisfy some sort of hoarder tendency?
>>
i have a use for every image i save, anon.
>>
All started cause I wanted to find a funny image I saw on /b/ once but couldn't find it again. So the next time I saw a funny image I saved it. Then once I started posting on 4chan I started saving images I could use to post here. This was still before reaction images really took off, but I think Epic Fail Guy was just getting started on /b/ so I saved a bunch of his images.

Fast forward to today and I have thousands of reaction images and general use images in my 4chan folder. And saving images has become such a habit I now save images that have nothing to do with 4chan but that I just think are neat.
>>
File: sakura drrr.png (348KB, 525x454px) Image search: [Google]
sakura drrr.png
348KB, 525x454px
There's a chance, however small, that I will use any given image, so the expected utility is greater than zero.
Same reason I take hundreds of screenshots every time I watch anime.
>>
>>34892
just in case there is a reaction image I need, i have a bin i can just dive into
>>
File: 20161001012328_1.jpg (272KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
20161001012328_1.jpg
272KB, 1360x768px
>>34913
>Same reason I take hundreds of screenshots every time I watch anime.
same, but I do so with games
>>
File: Axel_F.jpg (199KB, 600x640px) Image search: [Google]
Axel_F.jpg
199KB, 600x640px
A well-stocked cupboard is a foundation of a proper parlor.
>>
>>34892
I save barely any. No point.
>>
>>34892
It's a preservation/hoarding thing for me. I have many rare images that can no longer be found online easily or at all, or can only be found online in degraded quality.
>>
>>34892
I've been here since near the beginning and only save a few images a year

I don't use reaction images though
>>
>>34892
When it comes to art posted on Pixiv/danbooru/etc: the artist could remove it/ask for the reuploaded images to be taken down at any given time, so if I come across an art style I like I download everything I like. One time an artist I liked was kind enough to say he was removing everything and gave everyone enough time to save what they wanted, but most of the time that sort of thing doesn't happen.

Then there's a lot of good or funny content which is posted here. Can't help but save it. It isn't as "necessary" as it used to be as some archives save images, but those tend to come and go.
>>
>>34892
Better that than cluttering up your apartment with useless shit. HDD space is cheap.
>>
File: radical2.webm (3MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
radical2.webm
3MB, 320x240px
>>34913
Hundreds seems like a lot. That's like a frame every 7 seconds.
>>
>>35749
what a bizarre webm
>>
>>35474
Make a dropbox or other file-sharing thing like a torrent, bro. I'd keep a torrent seeding after tonight if you don't want to.
>>
>>34892
It's free, and even images if extremely high quality take up no serious amount of space. You could fit millions of images even on a small hard-drive.
>>
>>35756
This. I'd seed a torrent of rare/hard to find images.
>>
>>34892
>tens of thousands
>not passing the 6-figure mark
I'd be embarassed to show my pass, too
>>
>>35767
>not being a meme millionaire

That's why you're 2016.
>>
>>35756
>>35763
Not him, but I've got this one of very old hentai lying around.
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:48566f4caf784de5317d41330257dc73df0ea822&dn=Hentai&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=http%3A%2F%2Ftracker.publicbt.com%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fopen.demonii.com%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexodus.desync.com%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.pomf.se&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.blackunicorn.xyz%3A6969
>>
File: file.png (55KB, 496x591px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
55KB, 496x591px
>>35767
Does that include thread rips? Because I keep those elsewhere.
>>
File: forward librarian 60s.jpg (108KB, 499x700px) Image search: [Google]
forward librarian 60s.jpg
108KB, 499x700px
>>35474
yeah, I agree

Preservation of rare/hard to find images for future sharing. And maybe for inspiration if I draw or write.

I like going through my art folder sometimes for fun.

Storage is relatively cheap anyways.
>>
>mfw I lost all my memes on a thunderstorm
>mfw I had no protection from power surges
>mfw I have no face
>>
>>36029
Make sure you back your data up regularly from now on.

You know what they say; if you don't have at least three copies of the data you want to keep, you might as well say you don't have the data at all.
>>
>>35749
Often more than that for certain short periods, if I want to capture specific frames that go by quickly.
>>
>>36258

>Taking screenshots of a specific frame like that

No, hell no.
What you do is you grab a video editor, cut the scene you're interested on, and if you can do it from there export frames, and if you can't export that video and open it in Photoshop
>>
>>37075
That sounds like a lot of extraneous effort
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.