[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is your occupation? How do you make money so that you can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 48
Thread images: 7

File: 1456292293670.jpg (108KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1456292293670.jpg
108KB, 1200x1200px
What is your occupation? How do you make money so that you can afford to throw money away at this garbage heap of a site that we all know and love?

I'm 21, still live at home, and still live with my parents. I was working at Whole Foods and a local restaurant chain making around $1000 a month. A injured my knee a month ago outside of work and ive been having to deal with MRIs, orthopedic doctors and the hassles of getting health insurance. I now work at a lcoal sandwich shop and get paid around $100 a week in cash. I should really stop spending money on frivolous things like 4chan, but I spend a lot of time on here now, since im not working
>>
23, soon to be Journeyman welder.
Live in my parents old house since they moved out and just let my brother and I keep living in it. We pay them rent and all the bills ourselves before you get all accusing

I've been in school for the last 6 and half weeks with no income and wont't be back to work until the 24th.
I'm making a paltry ~3100 CAD a month.
>>
>>34088
I own a small technology company. I dislike solving captchas. I spend money to avoid things I dislike, if the trade-off is good enough.
>>
I ended up in ceramic manufacture. about $1500-2000/month; living in the parents' house as a 'lodger' as it were, paying a monthly rent that's a lot less than an apartment. With the combined incomes we managed to pay off the house in half the time.
I don't have a smartphone, don't watch cable/satellite, don't drink, don't smoke. Clothes are usually secondhand. I can save enough money so that $20 a year is practically nothing.
>>
>>34153
I dont drink or smoke either. and I agree with clothing. But I spend most of my money on gas (2003 ford explorer, gas guzzling car), and on /toy/ and /co/ related recreations
>>
>>34088
I work at a red lobster and make somewhere about 250-300 week, but ive been working overtime a lot this month so ive been getting a little bit more. I live alone in a small studio apartment, more like a shed really, and I pay $400 a month on rent, thats utilities paid for too. I pay about $120 for internet and phone. If im smart and conservative about food spending and living supplies, my monthly living cost is only about $600.
>>
>>34748
where do you fucking live im moving there ASAP
>>
>>34748
I also dont have a car, i ride a bike to work; its only about a 15 minute ride. Thankfully, i live in a town that promotes bike riding and is very accessible to them.
>>
>>34749
I live in Eugene, Oregon but my situation is unique. I met my landlord through a previous roommate and i was known as i am now, as a quiet man who always paid on time. Life happened and my roommate was getting kicked out and I had to move out. Two years later, i got my current job and had to move out of my sister's home and i needed the info of my previous landlord. So I went to ask and they remembered me. I mentioned i was looking for an apartment and they had a place on their propert ready for me a week later.

Its very modest and small but i really dont mind it all here. I dont like company amyway and ive never been late on payment so im comfortable here. There are also rabbits and chickens roaming all year long, along with squirrels and ducks, and my landlord runs a bird shop out of her home so i can always observe exotic birds if i like.
>>
>>34757
bad ass. im moving to oregon. just gotta get a job there first
>>
>>34761
Keep in mind the cities are liberal stinkholes. The older generation and rurals countries are where you would want to live if you want more honest and good people. When I get older, I would like to move to a more smaller town. I wouldnt raise my kids here in Eugene.
>>
>>34761
Prices are similar in Kansas City, with less filthy hippies.
>>
>>34088
I recently graduated from college and I got myself a job as a senior systems engineer at an huge (>10B€) multinational in the tech industry by using my teachers as a reference
I still haven't received a single paycheck and I still live with my parents
>>
File: 1431655700478.jpg (16KB, 228x218px) Image search: [Google]
1431655700478.jpg
16KB, 228x218px
I'm a disabled schizophrenic NEET.
>>
>>35058
>recently graduated from college
>senior systems engineer
What?
>>
>>35131
Yeah it was pretty dumb
I applied to the function thinking I would never get it as they explicitly stated that they wanted at least 10 years experience
However when I got to the interview they told me they invited me because they didn't get enough responses for their profile and then I got the job
>>
>>35077

Are you me?
>>
File: lol.png (76KB, 297x308px) Image search: [Google]
lol.png
76KB, 297x308px
>25
>walmart
>$11/hr
>$1180 a month
>$540 in monthly rent
>no credit
>kill me
>>
Corporate graphic designer. Too old to get hired any more, it seems. Too young for Social security. 4chan is a major source of entertainment so the $$ for a pass was worth it.
>>
>Live in Florida
>Own internet based Health SIte
>Net 130K a year +/-
>rent 3 br House on Lake with Outbuildings for 700 a month.
> Life would be good but for needy relatives
>>
I'm a mailman so I can make sure all the Secret S/a/nta Christmas cards arrive on time.
>>
>>34088
hi anon. sucks about your injury. let me use your thread to vent a bit..

i'm a 24yo that lives with his parents too. i have a chemistry degree. pharmacy college was in my sights but i didn't get accepted right out of school.

after spending a few years working as a tech to gain experience and pay off fuckin credit cards i finally got accepted into a school, but could not get finaid because after such a long time my student loans had defaulted. (mostly because i'm too dumb to know about deferment and didn't bother making payments because they were too high)

anyway, life fuckin sucks. i just started working at some factory because the pay is decent and i'm getting overtime. i love 4chan and 20/year is the least i could contribute
>>
OP here
just got cleared to go back to work. Now I need to track down the HR person at whole foods so I can go back to making money. Sorry about the blog post, but its nice to have people on here that might care at all

>>34748
sounds like you live the good life, anon. im sure there are struggles that you face in your life that are different from ours though. $400 a month for rent seems nice, but you said its a shed, which should be more than enough for the average anon. Good luck in all you do.
>>35077
if not a troll, it sucks to hear that youre disabled. At least you can afford to browse 4chan.
>>35142
dang dude. Thats a lucky break. Good luck anon!
>>35207
my dad said an easy way to get credit is to get stuff at rent-a-center like lamps. A lamp is something that serves a tangible purpose (gives light to your home) but doesnt really get dinged up like a couch or tv would. You can pay like $10 a month for 7 months or whatever and you can easily build credit. Id look into it if you're worried about credit
>>35296
sounds like you have your life together anon. What needs do your relatives have? medical/money issues? or are they lazy/dumb?
>>35385
/toy/ and /co/ thank you
>>35661
how does one get hired at a factory?
>>
>>34088
>What is your occupation? How do you make money so that you can afford to throw money away at this garbage heap of a site that we all know and love?
Student, working as a part-time / intern sysadmin

My parents are well-off
>>
File: FB_IMG_1423572224177.jpg (31KB, 720x363px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1423572224177.jpg
31KB, 720x363px
I make 90k USD. I jump around in IT, currently a Business Analyst. Graduated with a Comp Sci degree 6 years back, did .NET programming for 3 years, then systems analyst/prod support work for 3 years after that. Thinking I'll get back into dev life in another year or two.

I browse 4chan on my phone at work sometimes (mostly /v/ and /vr/) to 'get away' -- after the recent posts about site finances I thought I should contribute. I live in the Midwest so 90k goes really far, especially since I live frugally (don't really vacation, shop at Dollar General, own a small ranch house).
>>
I sweep up popcorn in a movie theater 3-4 days a week while hoping to escape to Japan via the JET programme.
>>
>>34088
I work at a Walmart. I've never seen anyone shit their pants. Only rarely do I see hamplanets
>>
>>36442
is it demeaning to tell friends/family you work at walmart? I feel like it would be a steady job with easy money, but I cant bring myself to work there out of shame
>>
File: 1372580807940.gif (2MB, 390x277px) Image search: [Google]
1372580807940.gif
2MB, 390x277px
>>36442

One time at Wal Mart I saw a blind guy's service dog take a fat shit in the middle of an aisle
>>
26, graphic designer at a small studio in a large town/small city in the Midwest. $40,000. I do some freelance on the side too.

>>34757
>Its very modest and small but i really dont mind it all here. I dont like company amyway and ive never been late on payment so im comfortable here. There are also rabbits and chickens roaming all year long, along with squirrels and ducks, and my landlord runs a bird shop out of her home so i can always observe exotic birds if i like.
That sounds pretty fukken comfy.

>>35142
That is nuts.

>>36355
Grats dawg.

>>37473
I used to work at Walmart, and there are far, FAR more demeaning retail/service jobs. My job before that was a dishwasher at Golden Corral. That shit makes a man grateful.

The only really bad thing about my experience at Walmart was how micromanaged the job was. The company is such a well-oiled machine that you are given no freedom in what you do, and all your time is perfectly slotted with one rote task after another. But if you work in pets, you can swipe a granola bar and a bottle of juice and go nap behind the fish tanks where the cameras can't see for a couple of minutes in the mornings.
>>
>>34153
>I don't have a smartphone, don't watch cable/satellite, don't drink, don't smoke.

I'm sorry but you sound the most boring person ever, holy shit. Are you depressed?
>>
>>37511
OP here .I'm trying to get into /gd/
I cant seem to find the motivation to just get up and say "hey im going to make a thing" and bang something cool out in an hour or two
Ive done freelance work though. I'm currently going to school for graphic design
>>
>>37520
Honestly if your design program is worth a damn, it should be providing you with more than enough work to keep you stimulated and busy.
>>
File: 1405223220492.jpg (23KB, 424x451px) Image search: [Google]
1405223220492.jpg
23KB, 424x451px
>>37521
its not.
>>
>>34088
Programmer at a big games studio. Dream job, baby!
>>
>>34088
Salesman, I work in an internet/telephone operator retail store. I despise the job but I'm good at it and I plan on going to uni soon to get my life sorted out. I make around 3k e a month, depending on how well I sell stuff. My rent+water+internet+electricity+phone+gas+other bills total around 700e each month. There's plenty of extra left for purchasing a pass on this website but the pay and job is far from satisfactory for me. At least there's nothing I need to worry about other than get my shit together and move on from what I do.
>>
>>34088
I'm an autoworker. I make just under $4800 a month on 40 hours a week. Time and a half anything over that; double on Sundays.

No student loan debt, signed up for an apprenticeship. Life is good at the moment.
>>
(22, M)
I work at a cafe, I earn roughly $400USD a week with 30 hours.
>>
>>34088
I'm 21, currently an Electrical Engineering student part-time while working as a Production Engineer in a company that produces encryption hardware.
I earn ~3000USD converted/month gross - I can freely spend about 2000 a month. I live with my parents, essentially have a whole floor to myself and don't have to pay for anything.
It's a pretty good life so far - I'm aiming for a leadership position in this company, I already have an (inofficial) confirmation by the CEO - after I finish I'll attend a course in leadership and then will most probably be granted leadership of a department with ~20 engineers.
I got placed in the Production Engineering department in the first place because it's the one technical department that has contact to all other departments : ^)
>>
>>37546
That's slavery.
>>
>>37549
lolno, that's 13.33$ an hour. He only works 30 hours, not 40, like is standard in many countries. No idea if it's standard in murrica, but it is in most parts of the world.
If he worked what I consider "full time" he'd earn 2400$ a month.
>>
>>37531
Well I hope your university is cheap as hell then. If it's not and you have the resources, I would look into transferring to one that will actually make a good designer out of you. If that's not an option, then I hesitantly suggest you stay in your current program because most jobs do in fact ask for a BFA or equivalent degree.

No decent job is ever gonna hire you based on "something cool" you banged out in an hour or two. Your goal should be practical, conceptually inventive projects that show an employer what you can actually do for their clients. Don't just make a logo; think of a company (real or fictional) that needs branding work, consider their audience and the impression you want to give them, and THEN start sketching or brainstorming until you actually have a clever idea. Then make the logo. THEN expand that into 3-5 applications, e.g. website mockup, menu, brochure, product packaging, advertising, whatever makes sense for the project.

Also don't ever, ever, ever ever use /gd/ as a point of reference for how good you are or what the design world is like. The vast majority of those users are unskilled hobbyists who don't know what they're doing and make extremely low-quality work.
>>
File: stayathomeanddab-01.png (26KB, 721x721px) Image search: [Google]
stayathomeanddab-01.png
26KB, 721x721px
>>37577
made this in like 30 minutes yesterday for a friend of mine. I havent shown it to /gd/ yet. should I ever go there?
>>
>>37654
Sure, but take everything you see with a grain of salt. There are some legitimately skilled folks there and people with good advice, but it's just mingled up with a million shit opinions. Not good for the developing design mind, imo.
>>
>>34088

31. Business systems analyst. $60K~ salary. Living in my own house in north Georgia and married. $15 to bypass captchas for a whole year is well worth it imho.
>>
Graveyard shift fast food, ~20kUSD/y. Mostly cleaning up after sloppy teens that work throughout the day, stocking and organizing for the next day.

Well, besides the fact it's only 15$/y, I'm good with saving money.
I never eat out, never drink, grow most of my own drugs, spices, fruit, and vegetables, vaporize instead of smoke, don't bother with social connections, and always price things out when buying anything.
I live with my brother, paying only 200$ rent including utilities. He makes glorious food and refuses to accept any payment for it.
>>
>>37863
how hard is it to grow vegitables? I live within a mile of an oil refinery, and I'm afraid that will kill any chance I have of growing food
>>
>>37997
Very very easy. Just about anyone can grow some tomatoes at least.
Seeds are cheap. Soil is cheap if need be. Good sunlight is more important than the cleanest air.
Thread posts: 48
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.