[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this the end of 4chan as we know it? Or are most of you posting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12

File: 1463446814052.jpg (58KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
1463446814052.jpg
58KB, 1000x667px
Is this the end of 4chan as we know it? Or are most of you posting on this board for ironic reasons? Do you believe creating /vip/ was the right thing to do, and if so, for what reason? As a scheme to get more money from desperate manchildren who want to feel special, or do you really believe segregation of 4chan's userbase is the right thing to do?
>>
I think /vip/ was a good idea. It doesn't have an affect on the rest of the site whatsoever. It's a nice bonus for those that want to contribute to the site
>>
>>16853
>reddit incarnate
>>
>>16856
ok
>>
>>16833
>Is this the end of 4chan as we know it?
A couple of hundred posters use this board for no serious purpose at all, mostly a lot of shitposting and offtopic banter (most pass users probably don't use /vip/), what the shit is it going to change?
>>
>>16856
but yet, you're posting here and have contributed to the site
>>
>>16861
>slipper slope is just a fallacy
>>
>>16856
Do you really believe that or are you just shitposting?
>>
>>16833
>or do you really believe segregation of 4chan's userbase is the right thing to do?
Segregating the userbase has its downsides but sometimes it's for the better.

Personally I wish the whole site would have gone full-paid. Maybe someday you'll require a 4chan pass to post at all, and it will be the best 4chan's ever been
>>
File: 1475602257237.png (618KB, 684x577px) Image search: [Google]
1475602257237.png
618KB, 684x577px
/vip/ was created for the sole purpose of repopulating and rebuilding 4chan after it collapses on an upcoming date and the newfags disperse to other chans or return to reddit. We have a diverse userbase of quality posters from each board.
>>
>>16866
You haven't really presented anything to suggest that anything is going to change.
>>
If all boards needed you to have a pass to post all problems with 4chan would be gone.
>>
>>16880
>you need to present the fact that this is just the first of many 4chan pass secluded niggering
>>
>>16833
i don't like /vip/ because it's paid access and I think that goes against moot's idea of the site. And the "since4pass" thing just allows paying users to differentiate themselves from normal users, which reduces the anonymity to an extent.

of course where most sites would treat paid users with more respect, on 4chan you'll just be thought less of so it's better to leave the clover off unless you're baiting

it's nice to have a blue funposting board though. it's like [s4s] but with sjis.
>>
>>16833
>segregation of 4chan's userbase
By what measure? People who come here aren't going to stop going to their homeboards, nothing is really going to change on the other boards, posting is just a bit more convenient for them (in exchange for funding the servers), with access to a babby sized /s4s/
>>
>>16912
>And the "since4pass" thing just allows paying users to differentiate themselves from normal users, which reduces the anonymity to an extent.
So does the name field. Adding "since4pass" when a name field and tripcodes exist is not making any amount of difference in terms of anonymity
>>
>>16918
Why would there be a need for even MORE identifiers? Goes completely against the culture.
>>
>>16911
>I say it will happen, so it does

>>16912
>and I think that goes against moot's idea of the site
I miss the guy, but it's not his decision to make anymore. Again, if people want to fund server costs by the means of getting some exclusive shitposting, I fail to see the problem, this board really isn't something you miss out on by not having a pass.

>And the "since4pass" thing just allows paying users to differentiate themselves from normal users
I don't think that'll be a lasting thing, and even if it does, I think people will start ignoring it, hell, I won't be surprised if it becomes a standard option in 4chan plugins to not display the badge.
I mean, will people even remember to do it after a while? There's only so much mileage you can get out of the badge at any rate.

Also this: >>16918 there's already a namefield and tripcodes, it's really no different.
>>
>>16833
4chan has survived much more realistic existential threats than this (ones where it was gone for days...weeks...months? I forget the longest one.).

I think this board is a silly, useless circlejerk and will probably remain that way, but as long as no one takes it seriously, that's fine.
>>
>>16961
ty

i was against this board, but now that I know that a tripfag thinks it will be okay, i love /vip/ now
>>
>>16918
the clover implies some "I'm more important because I financially supported 4chan" attached to the post that aren't attached to the name field or tripcodes.

But I agree with you. I don't think it's a huge deal and most of 4chan's user base is just going to ignore/laugh at it.
>>
>>16976
You're welcome
>>
>>16976
Good post you fucking faggot.

His point is that this is hardly the biggest threat to 4chan, neither existential nor intellectual.
Moot has been to fucking court over 4chan before, that was a WAY bigger danger.

If you think a mini /s4s/ is going to change the landscape of 4chan or end it, you're a mongonaut.
>>
>>16996
>it won't be instant, so it likely won't affect 4chan at all
i'm gagging on cock right now
>>
File: whatafag.gif (1017KB, 202x152px) Image search: [Google]
whatafag.gif
1017KB, 202x152px
>>17001
You sure are.

Doomsayers like you always come out of the woodworks (as in, /v/) whenever something changes on 4chan, and it's always "MARK MY WORDS, THIS WILL BE THE END!"
>>
>>17019
>being so optimistic about any change that goes counter to board culture
>one where it segregates
>>
>>17032
I'm not positive, I'm indifferent.

I remember when captchas was going to doom all of 4chan, and how moot making them permanent was the "final betrayal" and surely 4chan will die in just a few years.

Your observation and opinion doesn't actually mean anything.
>>
>>17044
>captcha
>being compared to segregating users and identifiers

Yes, completely similar.
>>
>>16930
>Goes completely against the culture.
Funny considering name fields have been around for longer than you've been on this site
>>
>>17044
Don't forget the gaymergay exiles, or the great cuckening or japmoots coming or any other kneejerk reaction
>>
>>17032
>muh segretation
/vr/ was a segregation from /v/
/v/ thought it was bad because they don't think there's anything actually wrong with them (when there actually is)
/vr/ on the other hand is fairly good.
>>
>>17057
>even MORE
can you read mister
>>
>>16961
>I think this board is a silly, useless circlejerk and will probably remain that way, but as long as no one takes it seriously, that's fine.
This. The only times 4chan becomes bad are when it starts taking itself seriously

(see chanology, /pol/ faggotry, etc.)
>>
>>17051
>reading comprehension
I wasn't comparing them as the same argument you fucking mouthbreather, I was comparing the attitude of losing your shit when something change.

>>17062
>even more
By a microscopic fucking margin.
>>
>>16986
I only use it for shitposting purposes desu

I don't think anybody takes it seriously. If you take it seriously, it's you who are the pr oblem
>>
>>17059
>boards anyone can visit and post
This is just 4chan reverting into SomethingAwful, which is 180 of the direction it was meant to.
>>
>>17069
Oh god, this, chanology was pretty cancerous, I can see why moot wanted to nip GG in the bud, I would too if I ran a forum and they picked a fight with a litigious and fundamentalist cult before, I would NOT have that shit again, even if I personally saw a lot of good points with GG.
>>
>>17071
>I was comparing the attitude of losing your shit when something change
>what are variables
>>
>>17062
I attacked the part of your post that said “goes against the culture”, not the part where it said “even more”
>>
File: mami makes an observation.png (48KB, 380x243px) Image search: [Google]
mami makes an observation.png
48KB, 380x243px
>>17073
>I don't think anybody takes it seriously.
>If you take it seriously, it's you who are the problem
100% this.

In fact, that describes this entire board.
>>
>>16930
>Why would there be a need for even MORE identifiers
>>17057
>name fields tho!
>>17084
>I attacked the part of your post that said “goes against the culture”

great attack, what weapon do you use
>>
>>16918
Except anyone can have a name or tripcode, this is a badge that says "look at me! I'm a special snowflake" that actually has exclusivity built into the site, making it even more exclusive and effective for attentionwhoring.
>>
File: 41.jpg (40KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
41.jpg
40KB, 600x450px
>>17073
>i just use it to shitpost
>>
>>16833
I came here to find out what hte fuck is going on with 4chan. I'm not staying long.
>>
>>17096
>Except anyone can have a name or tripcode
And anyone can give 4chan money.
What's your issue?
>>
>>17096
Well, it's not really exclusive because anybody can buy one

Also, tripcodes are basically exclusive by definition because nobody can impersonate somebody else's tripcode - thus making them the ultimate “special snowflake” tool

I guess at the end of the day the point is this: It's not the tools that are the problem, it's how people use them. Taking away tripcodes won't stop the kind of cancerous attention whoring that makes tripfag circlejerks hated

Similarly, this is also just a tool. Use it for fun if you want, but don't blame abusive use on the fact that it exists
>>
File: 1445337644116.jpg (638KB, 1600x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1445337644116.jpg
638KB, 1600x1600px
>>16833
I still think a Donate or Die drive followed by replacing 4chan passes with an open amount 4patreon system is the best idea. Us faggots aside, most people on this site hate the idea of paid 4chan gold account shit so much they'll never buy passes out of self-interest or as a donation, so in the end this board really won't do anything to bring in more money. If hiro actually knew the community of this site he would see this and just do the simplest option that works by virtue of the fact 4chan users love their site and want to help it, instead of trying to social engineer people into buying more stupid passes by creating two-tiered content.
>>
>>17123
I like posting without captcha though.
Thing being that captcha keeps out spambots (something which used to be a huge problem).

The pass solves that for me, while supporting the site.
>>
>>17109
>>17113
And anyone can buy a rolex, but because it costs a non-zero amount of money it reduces the number of people who will, and makes it a status symbol of a degree proportional to its cost, creating actual economically-based exclusivity. Didn't you even take an intro-level economics course in college?
>>
>>17113
>it's not really exclusive because you can spend money to not be excluded
>>
File: love at first sight.jpg (105KB, 560x746px) Image search: [Google]
love at first sight.jpg
105KB, 560x746px
>>17123
I agree. I'd rather donate a lump sum on patreon than get these passes. The passes cause resentment and revulsion among most users.
>>
>>17134
But it's fucking $20 or less, the amount of class difference this makes is hilariously small
>>
>>17134
>>17136
Not anyone can afford a rolex
Anyone can afford $20

stop using shitty analogies
>>
>>17150
So don't quote two different people who made two different arguments. Don't use the word exclusive if you have no idea what it even means.
>>
>>17128
Just because some people have reason to buy the pass doesn't change the fact that far more money would come in if donations were also opened up. Sure, you could in theory buy multiple 4chan passes for the sake of donation, but no one actually does that and it shuts out all the money that could come from smaller donations of a couple dollars. And even though you do have reason to buy a 4chan pass for your own self-interest, that's because of the basic features it's had since the beginning, no one's going to actually buy a 4chan pass just to shitpost on pay-to-use /b/. The amount of money coming in from 4chan passes is already basically the maximum they can make, the kind of people who would buy one already have, and new incentives or extortions won't increase it by any meaningful amount. While it's not the only thing that needs to be done, donations are a huge untapped source of cash with far more potential than the mostly used-up potential of 4chan passes, so instead of trying to jew all he can out of the passes, hiro should take one of the simplest options before he starts turning 4chan into reddit 2.0.
>>
>>17134
I'm not convinced that a 4chan pass is conspicuous consumption, anon.
>>
File: bacon-3-pack-420g-scan-3.jpg (44KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
bacon-3-pack-420g-scan-3.jpg
44KB, 500x500px
>>17134
>and makes it a status symbol
I spend more money every grocery trip than I do annually for a 4chan pass.

I don't think you get to call that a status symbol outside of Ethiopia, where $20 can buy you food for like a month.
>>
File: file.png (43KB, 432x216px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
43KB, 432x216px
>>
File: 1435347304186767.jpg (52KB, 379x535px) Image search: [Google]
1435347304186767.jpg
52KB, 379x535px
>>17160
nice
>>
>>16856
That's just retarded for obvious reasons.

Anyway, I don't think this board is a horrible idea. I don't care about it either way, but since I have a pass I may as well goof off on it.
>>
I'm only posting here because I already had a Pass.. I would, however, never buy one just to post here. I just like giving a little bit to this site since I spend an unhealthy amount of time here everyday.

I dont like the segregation of the community though.. But I also want to know what it becomes of this site with time. I want to know if the cancer infesting the rest of the site are the same people who spend money on 4chan by getting a Pass. It's a nice experiment.
>>
>>17134

It's $20 dude, and $15 on sale days. Far off from a Rolex.

I kinda like how if someone cant afford $20, they're probably not adults in the first place. Weeds out the underage b&. Especially the stupid underage b&.
>>
>>17763
>I'm only posting here because I already had a Pass..
this
>>
>>17804
I'm pretty sure even some underage b& can afford $20.
>>
>>17804
It's the principle of the matter. 4chan was founded on free anonymity, it was supposed to be a free, anonymous alternative to SA's paid bullshit.If anything, the oldfags who most deserve to post here are the ones who would refuse to ever pay to post on 4chan. You can't fund a site based on rejecting paid content with paid content, the community will never allow it to work.
>>
>>17925
It was founded because moot thought 2ch was cool you faggot. Moot didn't even want it to be anonymous at first.
>>
>>17925
>Area Man Passionate Defender Of What He Imagines 4chan To Be
>>
>>17925
4chan was founded by a literal child so that he and all his underaged friends could be retarded together.

Are you anything like you were 13 years ago?
>>
File: 1475614449875.png (239KB, 476x345px) Image search: [Google]
1475614449875.png
239KB, 476x345px
>>17925
>4chan was founded on free anonymity
When did you get here, 2013?
>>
>>16833
that's the good dubs
>Is this the end of 4chan as we know it?
no
>Or are most of you posting on this board for ironic reasons?
no
>Do you believe creating /vip/ was the right thing to do, and if so, for what reason?
Yes, and because I am having fun.
>As a scheme to get more money from desperate manchildren who want to feel special, or do you really believe segregation of 4chan's userbase is the right thing to do?
Because I'm having fun, and he probably gets some money to keep the site up with it.
>>
>>17925
Our forefather's fought for this land, my god, fought against the tyrannies and injustices of SomethingAwful's activation fee, and when that 14 year old school girl mootle stood atop the mount and declared this, 4chan, a free and prosperous land for anonymous, my grandfather wept. You'll put up a paywall out of my cold dead hands, you tyrannical motherfucker, Hiro. The Internet is srs goddamn bsns.
>>
File: 1365860169970.jpg (162KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1365860169970.jpg
162KB, 1280x720px
>>16833
>Is this the end of 4chan as we know it? Or are most of you posting on this board for ironic reasons? Do you believe creating /vip/ was the right thing to do, and if so, for what reason? As a scheme to get more money from desperate manchildren who want to feel special, or do you really believe segregation of 4chan's userbase is the right thing to do?

Imageboards cannot be popular forever.

The whole anonymous web forums format is stale as shit and new people are getting attracted to the other websites like reddit, etc.

Anyway as long as VIP is not producing any unique content non-4chanpass anons should not give a single fuck about it.
>>
>>16833
>>16833
>Do you believe creating /vip/ was the right thing to do
right or wrong the crybabies at qa suggested it when they threw tantrum about sincepass
now they throw a tantrum when hiro took their suggestion,
there is no pleasing them
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.