[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dfg/ ~ Dwarf Fortress General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 767
Thread images: 150

File: magical artifact warhammer.jpg (515KB, 1000x803px) Image search: [Google]
magical artifact warhammer.jpg
515KB, 1000x803px
magic edition

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.06
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
https://boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf%20Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
http://pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
http://en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: https://webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
http://imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
http://members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
http://pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Old thread
>>151723630
>>
File: 1470014201568.png (460KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1470014201568.png
460KB, 1000x1000px
>dead at 0 posts edition
>>
File: dorf fort office edition.png (231KB, 406x406px) Image search: [Google]
dorf fort office edition.png
231KB, 406x406px
would you work at this office?
>>
File: hooray.png (5KB, 935x71px) Image search: [Google]
hooray.png
5KB, 935x71px
I was testing a custom job name for elven "bowmen" (atlatl users) in adventurer mode, when this happened.

Anyway V2 of my weapon mod will be out in a bit in case anyone gives half a shit
>>
>>151982578
why bully elves >:(
>>
File: Say What.png (8KB, 694x61px) Image search: [Google]
Say What.png
8KB, 694x61px
>>151982643
Why not?
Also, post text.
>>
File: This-is-your-home-now.gif (3MB, 350x194px) Image search: [Google]
This-is-your-home-now.gif
3MB, 350x194px
>when migrants bring personal pets
>>
File: 1469359581974.jpg (174KB, 800x592px) Image search: [Google]
1469359581974.jpg
174KB, 800x592px
>>
>>151982578
v2 done. Major changes:

-Spring steel now has unique stats, and is now exclusive to humans. It now functions as a more flexible steel which may help a bit against blunt attacks, but it sacrifices hardness, and therefore sharpness for it. In addition, it is roughly 10% lighter than dwarven "high" steel, in order to reflect humans preferring lighter built equipment.
-Wrought iron has been renamed to mild steel, and now also has new stats. It's an intermediate between steel and iron in terms of characteristics, and still acts as a substitute for pig iron, making it a very useful form of goblinite.
-Tweaked various stabbing related numbers. Half-swording, short sword stabs and spear thrusts all are a force to be reckoned with in terms of armor penetration. Half-swording has been made even slower. Protip: Wild half sworded stabs are deceptively fast and incredibly powerful, but risky.
-Elven bowmen are now referred to as skirmishers, reflecting their usage of the atlatl.
>>
>>151982578
Awesome. I'm one of the two anons who posted in that thread of yours.

Thinking about doing a community fort thread with your mod, actually. Might get it some publicity. Although it might not be a good idea considering the last time I played DF it was before Werebeasts were even a thing.
>>
File: 01f57f_5684806.jpg (126KB, 878x730px) Image search: [Google]
01f57f_5684806.jpg
126KB, 878x730px
post waifus
>>
>>151987747
Wish I had pics of night hags, but I don't. They're kawaii as fuck. Except the ones with trunks, that is. That shit's not sexy.
>>
>>
>>151986107
Frankly I'm surprised that anyone gives a shit, when you think about it, there's nothing ground breaking or special about my mod. All I did was add and modify a small amount of crap to tune the game to my personal tastes.
Other than the goblinite (which I haven't been able to thoroughly test) and the angry elves (if used), a community fort with this mod probably wouldn't be the most unique thing ever.
That being said, an anon yesterday mentioned he's interested in using my elf clubs for a mod of his own. If anyone wants to use my shit in their mods, go right ahead.

Anyway, my plan for tomorrow is to modify the wood types unique to "good" biomes, making some types unusually tough, so that some hippies are actually well armored.

I've had some ideas whirring about in my head to create something bigger. One idea would be to overhaul savage biomes, replacing or augmenting giant animals with dinosaurs. The way I picture it, no dinosaurs would be exactly based on real ones or use scientific names. Instead, they'd be fictional but somewhat plausible, as that would in my opinion mesh better with the dwarf fortress world. Raptors would be feathered because fuck your childhood.

Also I forgot the damn link
http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=12357
>>
File: 1470878111077.jpg (9KB, 251x201px) Image search: [Google]
1470878111077.jpg
9KB, 251x201px
>>151988879
>Raptors would be feathered
>>
>>151988879
Personally I've never been able to get into the whole 'elves are to be disdained and and despised' kind of mindset. They were always the nice chaps who sell me booze and giant eagles on occasion.

Had a few attacks from them in times past but they were all pretty naff, so the concept of actually dangerous and hostile elves is pretty novel to me. *shrug*

As far as the community fort goes, I'm thinking framing it as a military outpost. Find an embark that's near a bunch of forest retreats to gurantee a good supply of sieges, and set some ground rules to show off the mod to its best advantage. Stuff like no cage traps, no atom smasher traps, no pressured water jets shooting attackers into a huge fucking pit or things like that. All invaders must be defeated by engaging in combat of some sort. Should be Fun.
>>
>>151988237
Looks like he had a great meal recently
>>
>>151991903
>looks like I had a great meal recently
ftfy
>>
File: skinning a cat.png (28KB, 614x74px) Image search: [Google]
skinning a cat.png
28KB, 614x74px
as soon as I reach 50+ citizen unpausing the game for too long is almost impossible as so many things pop up and I'm not even talking about some foreign entity showing up
I can't really start new needed projects as the ones existing already take up so much time to keep them running
I find it extremely hard to switch from microing every workshop to assigning jobs through the manager as there are always problems in my production line (dwarf asleep/stockpile too small/way too long/...)

this is not a problem of dwarf fortress, but rather myself and the way I plan things out...
soo, any tips on how to fix myself?
>>
>>151992850
Burrows and Communism
>>
Speaking of communism, will the Dwarfen economy ever make a comeback?
>>
>>151988879
>Raptors would be feathered because fuck your childhood.
Here's a thought to un-break >>151990234 Anon's heart.

Why not include two variations? You could have feathered raptors appear in Untamed Wilds if it's a Savanna/grassland biome (like it supposedly was when they still existed) but have "twisted", "naked" versions in Terrifying biomes that were touched by evil powers.
Pretty please?

I mean I might as well do it my self if you don't mind. Soon as I get a bit of time and learn about modding creatures.
>>
>>151988237
>>151991903

>my queen after few moments and jobs post jail time
>>
>>151992850
So basically it's many small problems that add up to an overall situation of being overwhelmed? Let's deal with them one at a time.

>dwarf asleep
Assign more dwarves to the needed labor.

>stockpile too small
Enlarge the stockpile or make containers to stretch the space you do have. If you don't have enough miners to enlarge the space, assign more miners. Not enough picks? Assign more blacksmiths. Literally doesn't matter if they're shit-quality picks being shat out by some amateur, they'll get the job done.

>way too long
Make more efficient layouts. One solution is to spread out your fort across multiple z-levels, and use open layouts instead of hallways, with many small staircases scattered around each level in addition to one large central staircase.

Another way is to create city zones, like say, a part of your fort devoted to masonry. Give the masons apartments and a cafeteria, and whatever else they need in that zone, and burrow them there so they're never too far from their workshops
>>
I just want to make crazy and interesting lavish meals for my dwarves but it's looking like turkey egg, turkey egg, turkey egg, turkey egg for generations to come.
>>
>>151995439
cave crocodiles my dwarf

cave crocodiles and cave crocodile accessories

or jabberers
>>
>>151997443
more like cave crocodile eggs and jabberer eggs...
>>
>>151995439
>>151997443
>>151998094
HOW CAN YOU HAVE ANY dwarven syrup IF YOU DON'T EAT YOUR turkey egg roast?
>>
>>151995439
Here's what you do:
>make a primary food stockpile
>make a quantum stockpile fed by the primary stockpile
>build your kitchen a short distance away
>make a 1 tile food stockpile on every tile adjacent to the kitchen set to take from links only
>no barrels allowed in any of the stockpiles
>set kitchen to take from each adjacent stockpile
>each adjacent pile should only accept a specific food or type of food
>you can be as general (any eggs) or as specific (turkey eggs only) as your food variety allows
>link each kitchen-feeder pile to the quantum stockpile
>watch in amazement as your master chef grabs 4 unique ingredients for each meal he prepares

The no containers rule is important here; they fuck everything up with stockpile links, quantum stockpiles, and ingredient variety. The only exceptions should be if you're including dwarven syrup or mog juice in your rotation; those piles should only allow either of those things specifically, allow containers, and be 2 tiles instead of 1, because dwarves will place an empty barrel in any pile that allows barrels, and then be unable to put a full barrel in the pile. It will take a little while to set up initially, but it runs itself afterwards, and it's quick and simple to tweak any of the feeder piles to accept a different kind of food as your available ingredients change.
>>
>>151980962
I'm new to modding df, and I've only ever played adventure mode. Are there any good tutorials for modding a custom adventurer race in 0.43.06? Not just changing dwarves to be legendary in every skill, but genuinely picking a rarer race and changing it's raws to make a custom adventurer? All links I've found on Bay12 have been about older versions.
>>
begone, fool!
>>
How does exoskeleton work exactly? What does it cover in a FB?

I've got a bug with bronze exoskeleton but someone a cat managed to wound him
>>
>>152008770
Would that be a bug with an exoskeleton MADE of bronze, or a bug with an exoskeleton COLORED bronze?

And exoskeleton covers the entire creature except for eyes and mandibles, iirc
>>
File: andwillingto.jpg (20KB, 365x299px) Image search: [Google]
andwillingto.jpg
20KB, 365x299px
>>151993354
No. Never. Never ever. May Armok prove the truth of my post by granting me dubs.
>>
>>152009414
Says "its bronze exoskeleton"

I guess color makes sense, it did mention the cat ripping through the chitin.
>>
Is there any way I can knock out a goblin invader, or trap him? There's one on the outskirts of the map but he hasn't moved for a long time now. I dont want to kill it so I can use it for training but i can't think of any way to trap him without killing him. Unless wrestling dwarves can knock enemies unconscious.
>>
>>152012025
Just kill him. There's hundreds of crundles you can use for training.
>>
Do marksdwarfs still refuse to swap out their training ammo for proper bolts when not training?
>>
>dorfs cause cave in on a farm plot that I was opening up
>somehow ends up one level up stuck in a tree
>>
What's your preferred animal that you use for the meat/leather industry.

I'm deciding between goats and swine.
>>
I have some animals that are kind of dangerous in a fight but cannot be trained for war.

Which is the better option:

a. A giant bridges that drops invaders into a pit filled with them

b. a walled in pen near the entrance of my fort that would release them
>>
Is there a way for me to have fast-forward the world after worldgen that doesn't involve trying to keep a bunch of dorfs alive?
>>
>>152013428
You could try spamming retire/unretire on an adventurer.
>>
>>152013124
Pigs are larger and yield more meat than goats, and have the benefit of not requiring a pasture for grazing as goats do.
>>
>>152013331
A. But how would you collect the invader's gear?
B. How would you round them back up into the pen after?
>>
>>152013331
Pit is better, imo. More spectacle plus with the pen there's a chance the animals will scatter and flee instead of fighting
>>
>>151986054
Rock on, that's handy bit of science too, unintentionally perhaps, but still good to know.
>>
>>152013626
I just decided to start a fort and then issue no orders to see how long they last. So far they aren't dead and it's been a month. I also have no idea how to make them hunt for food.
>>
>>152015621
Once the starting food supply runs out they'll automatically start to hunt for vermins to eat.

Soon, they will celebrate with their very favorite food! Which is rats!
>>
>>152010587
DWARF ECONOMY CONFIRMED
>>
>>152016162
Oh cool that's good to know. I set up shop right outside a hamlet so we're basically a bunch of hobos hanging out next to an old wagon.

>THE PINNACLE OF THEMED FORTRESSES
>>
Caravans when
>>
is there a way to check what the symbol of your civilization is?
>>
>>152016723
The most obvious for me is to decorate something, choose Images then Existing Images. There it will show both your fort's and Civ's images
>>
>>152016327
Welp migrants arrived. I didn't know they'd come no matter the state of your fort. I'm declaring this to be Dorf woodstock. A bunch of smelly hippies staging a protest against The Man. However, this gathering will have a more fitting end.
>>
>>152013124
Geese outperform every other domestic livestock for both meat and leather by a large margin. Pigs aren't terrible, they take a little less management than geese. Goats are a shit choice. Sheep give you everything goats do plus a wool industry.
>>
>>152018085
Oh a wereelk killed everyone. Huh.
>>
File: 1463345558930.png (137KB, 482x651px) Image search: [Google]
1463345558930.png
137KB, 482x651px
What does it mean when that message pops up about the outpost liason not showing up when he should?
>>
>Started with temple relic storage as a test case, and that seems to work, respecting the pools and so forth. The game has display cases and pedestals now, in all modes. Next I'm going to finish the display jobs in dwarf mode before I get back to maps. You'll be able to display any non-large object you like, and there'll be new thoughts for displayed items similar to the admiration of architecture. So you can set up artifact display areas, or you can just use regular masterpieces, or junk, or skulls, as you see fit. The displayed items show like the food on tables so you can admire them yourself.

>happy thoughts from displayed objects
>>
Can two civs of the same species go to war?
>>
>>152019556
Yes if ethics support it, gobs war against gobs all the time.
>>
>>152019556
>>152020858
Dwarf sieges when? I want an enemy with decent equipment.
>>
>>152018875
Next time, if you're willing to put a very little effort in, you should stick your first seven in a hole in the ground, make sure they have a water supply (An aquifer is useful for this purpose.) and a small farm growing plump helmets year round, with all of them being farmers. Add one food stockpile and seal off the whole thing from the outside world and you could probably let them sit there forever, or at least for a few dwarf years before they kill each other out of boredom. You'll still get migrants, and you can enjoy watching them scrounge around for a while on the surface before they inevitably die.

There are probably better ways of doing it, but this seems like the easiest way that has a good chance of working. I was thinking of doing something like this myself, when I started my current fort, but decided on a different project. I might still do it if I don't feel like playing my main fort sometime soon.
>>
>>152020945
Gotta make your civ almost non-functional to do it.

Just use the hippieanon mod.
>>
can dwarves walk through open floodgates?
>>
File: tun2.png (137KB, 1600x931px) Image search: [Google]
tun2.png
137KB, 1600x931px
I noticed just now that one of my dwarves is apparently less agile than he used to be about a year prior. Pic related.
Does anyone know how that could happen?

>>152021643
Yes.
>>
I just got an announcement about a goblin siege arriving. Burrowed my civs, got my military together, then got a message about a snatcher. Snatcher walked into a weapon trap and gibbed into 1000 pieces, but there's no other goblins on the map. None in the others section, anyway. Siege tag is still on, though. Anyone else have this happen before?
>>
>>152023460
I think there could be some other goblins sneaking around somewhere. I've never gotten an all-snatcher siege, but I don't have a lot of experience with sieges anyway, and I have seen snatchers as part of a siege before, at least I think I have.
>>
>haven't played in a long ass time
>embark on a mountain with no trees, water or soil
>dive straight down to the caverns and set up a walled off farm there
>suddenly troglodytes everywhere in my fort fucking shit up
>how the fuck did they get in
>savescum
>apparently they clung to 1 tile wide cavern corridors and jumped in

neat
>>
>>152023798
I just had a squad patrol the entire fort exterior, I don't think there are any. I have puppies chained all over for an alarm system anyway. Hopefully the tag goes away soon so I don't keep worrying about it happening all of a sudden.
>>
>>152013331
c. Add [TRAINABLE] to the animal's raws.

War cavies my friend, war cavies.
>>
>>152024141
>inb4 the siege tag goes away when they all dehydrate on the top of a tree somewhere
>inb4 you cut that tree down
>>
File: UnsafeEntranceMethod.png (59KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
UnsafeEntranceMethod.png
59KB, 1920x1080px
>>152025030
>oh god not the guinea pigs
>ARGH THEY'RE EATING MY EYES
>>
>>152020858
I'm pretty sure that there is no single ethic for starting wars with your own civ. Civs can attack civs with radically different ethics, but the only way to get those would be to use random ethics for the gobs(are randomised ethics even a thing yet? I only know about randomised values).

Basically, the two most important tokens for turning your entity into a militaristic antagonist are [BABYSNATCHER] and [ITEM_THIEF]. The first one will go to war against non-babysnatchers, while the latter will go to war against everyone, even other thieves.
>>
File: EternalPlunge.png (60KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
EternalPlunge.png
60KB, 1920x1080px
>>152026980
Even besides those you can still get cases where events lead slightly different ethical differences to build wars, but it really helps to have [POWER] entities because they'll lead all sorts of wars. I added giants to that as well as them coming into a civ and being all "hey, squishies, I'm in charge" makes sense, and leads to more chaos.
>>
>>152027548
Any reason why a floor would just suddenly disappear? 4 tiles along the second floor of my wall just disappeared out of nowhere. It was attached to the wall, and if it makes any difference I have cave ins disabled.
>>
>>152027990
Did you cut down a tree that had branches over the wall? That can cause what you describe.
>>
I'm using upright spear traps for the first time to try and make a corridor for dealing with hard to kill trapavoids. It seems like they're built in the upright position from the beginning. Can my dwarves walk through these fine, or do I need to link them up and lower them? I'd test it but with all the hauling my dwarves are doing, its taking a very long time to get it set up while also working on the wall.
>>
>>152027990
In a campsite you're building or in fort mode?

In camp mode I know designated sections can collapse while being built but don't know if it works with cave-ins off, never tried.
>>
>>152028053
That must've been it. I haven't played in years, hadn't encountered that before. Thanks.
>>
>Get a successful fortress up to 80+ with military and great defense from titans
>Still not knowing how to make a water well or underground flood gate system for cold climates
>Still not knowing how to break through an aquifer without a pump
>Now knowing that the underground caverns give you access to wood if there is none on the surface

Anything else I don't know?
>>
File: evil smug.jpg (98KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
evil smug.jpg
98KB, 1024x576px
>be playing modded DF

>start in a town

>The elves are amassing an army to take the city! Flee while you can!

>Be fortress guard.

>Not gonna let the elves take my home.

>Of course, I have some help.

You see, the city is home to demons, enslaved elves, and a few other races, but the most important are the 43 nightcreatures that live here. These things are walking murder machines and aren't even part of the military. The elven army has no idea they're marching into a slaughterhouse.

TFW I realized what is going to happen.
>>
>>152029491
>Still not knowing how to break through an aquifer without a pump
>tfw I'm a complete shitter and can't even do that right
>>
>>152029610
I always hope they would march on a town where I set loose a werebeast epidemic during the full moon.

>right boys, loot and pillage, you get the drift
>hey, goblins don't have orange eyes do they?
>>
>>152023065
>Does anyone know how that could happen?
My first guess would be aging.
>>
>>152029962
Reminds me of this one game I played. There was this hamlet where every person down to the last child was a were-gators. Every month the town became a horrific orgy of violence. I like to imagine it was the subject of horrific rumors and legends throughout the world.
>>
File: dfg_autism.jpg (18KB, 181x215px) Image search: [Google]
dfg_autism.jpg
18KB, 181x215px
>>
>>152031776
With plump helmets and hopes for the future
>>
>>152031776
>how can you post on this board without passing the autism check
>>
File: 1381544849239.jpg (50KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1381544849239.jpg
50KB, 500x500px
>>152012352
anons pls
>>
>>152032692
I can't help, I never noticed them dumping training bolts into targets later, and before I was playing during the railgun era so wood bolts WERE combat bolts.
>>
File: 1394056056993.jpg (38KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1394056056993.jpg
38KB, 500x667px
>>152032482
>mfw passed with a natural 20
>>
File: happy wojak.png (13KB, 640x712px) Image search: [Google]
happy wojak.png
13KB, 640x712px
What if the rocs, the keas and the great horned owls teamed up against the dwarves?
>>
>>152034152
Why would that be a happy wojak?
>>
File: size-comparison_2015_11_03.jpg (21KB, 635x321px) Image search: [Google]
size-comparison_2015_11_03.jpg
21KB, 635x321px
>>151993681
I think the new picture of dromaeosaurs/raptors that has been slowly developing since the discovery of their birdlike feather coverage is fascinating and has only made them more scary.
They're now regarded as even more agile than previously thought, and their wings open up possibilities for some pretty crazy behaviour like running up very steep hills by flapping their wings, and using them to balance on top of their prey as they eat it alive, stuff like that.
It's recently been discovered that a really big (slightly larger than JP raptors, pic related) dromaeosaurid lived alongside T-Rex, which is a good reason to think they were extremely efficient predators.
A naked raptor would probably be less dangerous, and I don't want that, especially in evil biomes.

The way I picture my dromaeosaurs working in DF is like so:
"A vicious predator resembling a large bird with a toothy grin."
Functionally, they'd be dangerous pack hunters that are good at climbing (to represent them jumping/running up steep inclines with help of their wings), and if possible I'd give them a high innate dodging skill too - basically they'd behave like murderous ninja-beasts.

Here's a list of what would take high priority in terms of a first version of a dino-mod:

- Large or medium-sized dromaeosaur (raptor)
- Carnotaurus-like abelisaurid - A big, fast and scaly pursuit predator. The arms would be vestigial so it would only attack by biting and goring with its horns.
- Large Ceratopsid. With their sharp beaks, horns and possibly even spiky projections jutting out of their scales, they'd make fantastic warbeasts.
- Giant Azhdarchid Pterosaurs, because they'd make horrifying flying mounts for the cave-hippies. The big challenge here would be to make hybrid wing-legs, as they walked on all fours when on the ground.
- Troodontid? Basically it would be like a weaker dromaeosaur that likes stealing things. Rhesus macaques from hell.
>>
File: 2016-08-17_08-01-55.png (18KB, 612x317px) Image search: [Google]
2016-08-17_08-01-55.png
18KB, 612x317px
Well?
>>
>>152035441
>toady knows about the memes
>>
>>152003713
Your question is unbelievably vague. Aside from adding a tag, what do you want?
>>
>>152028302
Yes they can walk past them safely, if they dodge or are knocked back it may be another story.
>>
>no option to console a new adventuring companion after they kill a man for the first time.

TOADY WHEN

I WANT

CHARACTER DEVELOPMENT
>>
File: WokWokWokWoo.jpg (334KB, 650x595px) Image search: [Google]
WokWokWokWoo.jpg
334KB, 650x595px
>>152035250
>not mentioning fatbird raptors

>>152035441
Sock.
>>
>>152037548
Also worth looking up All Your Yesterdays, just don't look at the shrink-wrapped baboon example before trying to sleep...
>>
>>152037386
Ya just need to let them work through it and kill a bunch more people.

Also you should bring some mugs so you can pour em a drink of booze every now and again. That definitely comforts them and boosts their performance.
>>
I'm currently int he business of prospecting. It's my fourth embark and no iron whatsoever. I had embarks full of native gold, platinum, sometimes silver, galena and cassiterite, but no damn hematite.
>>
>>152037386
>no option to piss of people to get them to beat the shit out of you for free arousing

FETISHES WHEN TOADY?
>>
>>152038569
Are you happy about no iron? If not, why do you not set the minerals higher?
>>
>>152037386
You CAN bring the killing up as a conversation topic and say some bullshit like "it was inevitable" or "it's for the best". Not that it'll have any effect.
>>
So has anyone here had an adventurer that was married or had kids? Any interesting new dialogue open up?
>>
>>152038569
Have you disabled aquifers?
Iron is only found in sedimentary layers, and sedimentary layers are usually only found in places where the aquifer cancer takes root.
Seriously though I wouldn't mind aquifers if water wasn't so fucking broken in this game. Not even fully aquatic creatures will willingly enter water. Shit is bork.
>>
>>152039130
I'll just wait for Toady to make it so those phrases cause an emotional response I guess.
>>
File: god dammit.png (480KB, 435x566px) Image search: [Google]
god dammit.png
480KB, 435x566px
>>152039457
I was thinking of making my first aquifer-enabled fortress, I thought it would make sense to use a cold or even freezing embark where the aquifer freezes the moment I dig down, allowing my to create a well-sealed downwards passage before summer arrives.
Would that work?

In other news, what the fuck is wrong with you recaptcha?
>>
File: mclegendaryfamilypicnic.png (27KB, 1647x579px) Image search: [Google]
mclegendaryfamilypicnic.png
27KB, 1647x579px
>>152039283
Just with dfhack.
>>
>>152040287
I still count that.
>>
File: legendarykiller.png (39KB, 1647x579px) Image search: [Google]
legendarykiller.png
39KB, 1647x579px
>>152040486
>>
>>152040221
I'm not sure. I would actually be pretty neat if it did.
I've only punctured an aquifer exactly once, and after that I vowed to never do it again until the swimming mechanics get fixed because holy fuck they are stupid.
>>
>>152040221
Yes, but if it doesn't stay frozen year round you will suddenly have a flood in your hands if you don't wall it off. Suggestion: use traffic designations on the aquifer level you are channeling out to stop your mines from stepping down there and drowning/freezing
>>
>>152040221
it's just another step in google's AI creation scheme. they want to know how real humans try to solve an unsolvable problem
>>
>>152040634
My plan is to either find a location cold enough to have ice in spring, live entirely on the surface until winter arrives.
>>
>>152039554
Communication has been discussed previously
I think the consensus is that it'll eventually come, but severe psychological updates must come first for it to hapen
>>
>>152040575
What is the graph paper looking stuff?
>>
>>152041765
but yeah, consistent and complex interpersonal relationships are a pillar as big as magic for DF, so we all hope Toady doesn't fuck up that
>>
If I wanna make a bard that writes down kickin poems and songs for other chars, what's the best starting skill distribution on an adventurer for it?
>>
>>152043367
Linguistic Ability is useful for poems, storytelling and singing.
Musicality is useful for singing.
Analytical Ability is useful for writing poems I believe.
Creativity is useful for writing poems, songs, creating dances, etc.

Be forewarned that music and dance are both totally fucked, and it's very likely that your civilization will only have music forms that use only stationary instruments.
Storytelling and poetry are the only performance arts that you can rely on being available.
>>
File: BigaSquareAscii.png (107KB, 576x576px) Image search: [Google]
BigaSquareAscii.png
107KB, 576x576px
>>152042241
That was just the tileset and the effect of using reveal in adventurer mode to find people in a fort.
>>
Can I use cave in to bypass aquifer?
>>
>>152047075
That's the usual method, yes.
Wiki has a guide on it.
>>
>>152047187
Hah, why I was even worried about it before?
Next embarking I will try this.
>>
>>152047479
Because it's an absolute pain in the ass, that's why you were worried.
>>
>>152047479
because it means getting harassed by troglodytes, draltha, bugbats, or whatever right on embark
which might not sound like a big deal, but it's only slightly less of a complication than having to breach an aquifer (assuming the aquifer is 3 or fewer layers thick)
>>
>>152047571
Sound easier and less complicated (after having experiences with intentional caveins) than other methods.
>>
>>152047673
wait, sorry, I thought your post said "can I use a cave to bypass an aquifer"
which, by the way, does work, but comes with the problem I posted
>>
MIDGET POWERS ACTIVATE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4vJjSV8SaU
>>
>>151988879
>there's nothing ground breaking or special about my mod

Sure there is, its a mod that creatively makes hippy weapons effective. This also adds new value to stuff like glumprong and bloodthorn.

Question: how hard would it be to make elves (or whoever, not sure if its civilization dependent) in adventure mode able to make cave hippie weapons? Probably not very and I'll probably be able to churn out the reactions if you don't.

For my "5 tiers of elven and goblin antagonists" mod I'm working on I'm currently thinking default wood+cloth/bone/glumprong/bloodthorn/obsidian for the weapon materials of the 5 elf weapon tiers and default wood+cloth/leather+bone/quilted cloth/padded leather cloth/laminated quilt cloth for the 5 elf armor tiers, from the very comfy Haberdasher's mod, and of course if I published it I would ask his blessing first. Probably the bone+leather and the bloodthorn elves would be cave dwellers, the glumprong and perhaps obsidian using elves would be evil forest dwellers. That way, you could have 2 good forest dwelling elves (friendly ones + first level antagonists), + 2 cave dwelling antagonists (2nd and 4th level ones), and 2 evil forest dwelling antagonists (3rd and 5th), to make it as easy as possible to have a large population of each. Haberdasher's mod introduces quilted, padded leather, and laminated quilt cloth armors roughly equivalent to copper, bronze, and steel, incidentally. Use of plant matter for armor seems like a pretty elfy way to bulk up their defense.

So if the mod winds up working, one could wind up easily being at war with 5 elf +5 gobbo factions at once. I might partition it for number of antagonists from 2 (default gobbos + elven savages), 4-5, 7-8, 10, and then some overstuffed options for bigger worlds of 15, 25, 40 or 50 antagonist civs at once, but that'll be a later project.
>>
Mods are asleep share your most exotic and decadent prepared meals
>>
>>152049343
I wanted to make tallow+tallow+tallow+potato lavish meals and tallow+tallow+tallow+chicken lavish meals but can you even grow potaters right?
>>
One of my dwarves keeps punching a giant tortoise doing no damage. He's been doing this for the better part of a year now. He just keeps punching then passing out from exhaustion, while the tortoise just stands there not giving a fuck and other dwarves have to bring him food and water. His wife even had a kid, and while he is blissful about becoming a parent, he still hasn't stopped punching this tortoise.
>>
>>152035250
Raptor-feather stuffed pillows are just fine with me!

Whaddaya mean they're a useless part that just sits forever in the refuse heap? I can dream, can't I?

Are you gonna bundle the dinosaurs stuff with the weapons mod?
>>
>>152049708
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Bloated_tuber

You can, but Toady thought it was clever to give them a cryptic name.
>>
>>152050174
He's training to become a legendary+5 wrestler
>>
>>152050374
That's a different crop
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Potato
>>
>>152050374
>>152050568
So bloated tuber is just potato like thing?
>>
>>152050568
Oh, I assume they were added along with the fruits? I remember that "no potatoes" used to be a pretty big meme on the forums.
>>
File: finalsolution.png (70KB, 1304x768px) Image search: [Google]
finalsolution.png
70KB, 1304x768px
>>152047769
Do you know what the least complicated method is?
>>
>>152029716
>tfw I just remove the aquifer tag from all soils and rocks because I'm too lazy to bother with aquifers and don't see any benefit from them
>>
>>152051319
>I cheat because i'm a casual
>>
>>152050741
Guys, how many z-levels does a gobbo need to fall before it gets seriously injured?
>>
>>152051664
>not wanting to deal with a buggy and poorly implemented feature is cheating
>in a single player game that is purposefully designed to promote modding and customization
I bet you think using The Rapist is cheating too.
>>
>>152051736
ignore the quote, I'm a fucking imbecile
>>
>>152051837
The Rapist doesn't remove gameplay features just because you find them too hard.
>>
>>152051736
4-5 is enough if it's hitting a dense floor like lead
if you want to kill them outright, you'll need more like 10-15 and a dense floor
if you want to have them explode so that you'll get usable bones once the flesh rots, go for 30+ and a dense floor
>>
File: select all streetsigns.png (241KB, 399x602px) Image search: [Google]
select all streetsigns.png
241KB, 399x602px
>>152040221
It's always the street sign captchas that are shit.
>>
>>152051925
People don't remove aquifers because they're too hard.
People remove aquifers because they're not challenging, not useful, not fun and don't even make sense.
>>
>>152051950
>hitting a dense floor like lead

Who builds lead floors?
>>
>>152052092
What do you want us to do with lead?
>>
>>152052092
People who can't afford platinum floors for their goblin pit.
>>
>>152052092
I'm about to, thanks to anon.
>>
>>152052092
if you're intentionally making a killing pit, it's a pretty easy way to make it more deadly
if you have galena, chances are you have hundreds of lead bars lying around anyway
>>
>>152051969
i haven't rally noticed any changes between the different objects.

However, the "select until there are none left" tend to be pretty annoying. You have to click a lot, wait for new pics to pop up, and don't find out whether you've made a mistake until the end.I swear I fail at least half of those.

Btw, I just noticed that the street signs have a "press skip if there are none" option.
>>
>>152052092
What else is there to do with lead bars? Aside from forging lead pots and lead toys, of course.
>>
>>152052314
>>152051969
You know, sometimes I wonder why Google even still does captchas when they were the ones who proved that computers are better at solving them than people are.
It's like finding out that your medicine is actually just a placebo, but still selling it anyways.
>>
Good grief Ettins can take a beating
>>
>>152052409
after using the 9 or so I need for my killing pit(s), I like to use the new job details feature to brand my group's symbol on everything not nailed down in the fort
>>
>>152052409
>>152052205
Well I used to make lead barrels when wood was more scarce.
But now that trees explode into a gore of wooden logs, I guess i don't really do much of anything with lead.
>>
>>152050436
Well, he starved to death and his wife and child found his body.
>>
Would a goblin civ whose sole weapon material for arrows, bolts, hammers, and whips was lead, and could make in fact use lead versions of such weapons, and was their only weapons, be potent?
>>
>>152052538
>It's like finding out that your medicine is actually just a placebo, but still selling it anyways
I wonder who would do that.
>>
>>152050174
>>152053001
Its very important to have a strong militia that can rescue dorfs who get stuck in a fight.
>>
>>152053141
you could in theory make lead a viable weapons metal, but all weapons will be made of all available weapon-metals, so the only way to use lead exclusively would be to stop them from using any other sort of weapon-metal.
>>
>>152050962
If was to remove difficult feature from game I would play casual game instead.

It's not like Aquifer is unexpected, you can see it before embark so you can avoid site with it.
>>
>>152053421
My current plan for gobbos is:
Tier 1: Pig iron armor, pig iron swords, axes, maces, mauls.
Tier 2: Pig iron armor, pig iron pikes, spears, hammers.
Tier 3: Pig iron armor, pig iron arrows, bolts, whips, scourges.
Tier 4: Iron armor, lead arrows, bolts, whips.
Tier 5: Iron armor, iron arrows, bolts, scourges.

Tiers refer to the exporting/population/etc. triggers for sieges, for example the population trigger is 20 for the lowest setting and 140 for the highest.

So this way you could actually fight 5 different goblin civilizations at once, and the later goblins figure out that they may as well just focus on lashers & archers.
>>
>>152054570
Do you wanna use my mild steel raws, perhaps?
>>
>>152053421
Lead has a shitty impact elasticity though, so it makes for terrible blunt weapons despite being dense. If impact elasticity is too high, all the force of your strikes will get absorbed by clothing and armor.
The main reason platinum makes such an amazing blunt weapon metal is because it has such an amazing impact elasticity. The density is just a nice plus.
It also has the worst edge of all metals, so it's terrible for everything else too
>>
>>152055089
Maybe.

>>152055271
Scratch that then, although it could be cool for tier 1 gobbos to use lead blunt weapons and maybe missiles anyway, as tier 1 should be relatively sucky being as they'd arrive much earlier than goblins normally do.
>>
>The ingredients are masterfully minced prepared yak intestines, exceptionally minced raw mussel, superiorly minced raw mussel and superiorly minced prepared yak heart

Would you eat it?
>>
>>152055969
Not a chance.
Intestine has the grossest texture imaginable and I wouldn't be surprised if heart was almost as bad.
>>
>>152018993
The rest of your civilization is dead or he was already in your fortress
>>
Weaponmodfag here, I'm making my first proper fortress in my mod for now, so more modding is on hold, and I'm keeping a watch on any bugs or so.

Just had my first Elven thief appear (angry elves is enabled), which a good sign that elves are indeed hostile and willing to attack me.
>>
>>152055271
Lead makes excellent blunt weapons. Impact elasticity ought to be a lot more important than it is, but it's hardly relevant to the final damage result at all. That'e why silver outperforms iron or bronze and why adamantine blunt weapons don't do any damage depite being perfectly rigid and impossibly hard. Damage for blunt attacks scales almost linearly with density, with no other material properties making a measurable difference at all.
>>
Hi /dfg/. What am I doing wrong with my wall? People just keep climbing over it.
>>
>>152018993
He's either dead or detained. It doesn't mean either of the things>>152056364 said, if your civ was dead you would have a monarch chosen from your existing dwarves. Though it might mean your civ is in it's death spiral, it doesn't mean that with any certainty, and outpost liaisons dying happens all the time for all sorts of reasons unrelated to the death of your civ. If he was already in your fort you would a unit with the title "outpost liaison" and you wouldn't get a message at all.
>>
>>152060321
Nothing. Creatures with a grasp can climb. Climbing walls is one of the few useful things that mechanic has brought.
>>
>>152060650
>>152060321
Stuff actually climbs now? I know he introduced climbing a while ago but I still never saw anything actually climb a wall before.
Oh well time to build moats in front of the walls.
>>
>>152060321
If you want people to be unable to climb over it, do this:

On z0 and z1, build wall. On z2, build a floor that hangs out to outside of the wall. (You can also make it 3 z-levels high or more, just make sure there is a floor on the outside of the wall.)

In my experience that led to climbers not being able to get past.
>>
Masterwork is eternally, unintentionally hilarious.

>succubi are superheated demons
>werebeasts are crazed no matter whether they're generated as friendly or not
>visit site
>werebeasts tear into succubi
>werebeast burns to death
>succubus burning blood sets shit on fire
>dwarves burn to death
>>
>>152060920
Or you could just dig a moat in front of the wall.
>>
>>152060321
The higher the wall, the harder to climb. It's fairly easy to climb a low wall.

If you're using walls dug out of the ground, soil is easy to climb, as is rough stone. Smoothing the wall will make it harder to climb.
I'm not sure if it's true, but I think I heard walls made from blocks are harder to climb than walls made from regular stone or wood.
>>
>>152060939
That explains why my Jotunn friend burst into flames once when I played as a succubus (male)
>>
>>152060321
>>152060650
Uh. Read that as "what is wrong with my wall". My mistake. Make it taller, build an overhang, or build a roof. The latter two work reliably to keep out climbers, the former is the dwarfier of the solutions.
>>
>>152061228
Well, a wall made from a boulder is a rough wall (or floor, or bridge, or whatever) and blocks make smooth ones. So it should work like that.
>>
>>152061285
I saw a jotunn whose eyes just plain burst into flames and bled to death, no apparent explanation. There were no succubi about. Was it by the eyes?

I also have once seen a titan burn to death while fighting a succubus. While I was fighting various monsters as a succubus, I never saw them burn.

So what I THINK may be the case, is succubus blood of all things is super hot.
>>
>>152061228
Block walls are harder to climb than rough walls, and smooth natural stone walls (but not pillars!) are impossible to climb.
>>
Aw yiss, I embarked on a massive campsite with tents everywhere. There's shotloads of free cloth.
>>
>>152061454
Oh it was the eyes yes. I was wondering what happened.

Also I didn't know Succubi were naturally warm, good to know.
>>
>>152061134
I guess, haven't really done that before.
Wouldn't it still be an issue depending on the moat's width? Can't some creatures just jump across and start climbing as soon as hitting the wall?

Also https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgk-lA12FBk

Best defense still is finding a tall volcano though.
>Build sealed aqueduct system channelling lava to multiple places just outside your wall, close off with flood gates, a few Z levels above the wall.
>Set lever to unleash the magma upon invading forces when you spot them, also pulling up the only bridge granting access.
>>
>>152062176
I've never had anything jump across a 1 tile moat and climb a 1z wall, but i haven't played 43.0x yet.
>>
>>152062176
I always make my moats with a width of at least 3 or 4 just to make sure.
>>
I have a dwarf with woodcutting enabled. a training axe (unforbidden) in the stockpile and trees designated for chopping. He's not in a burrow and is idle, but refuses to cut the tree down. Wat do
>>
>>152062176
>Can't some creatures just jump across and start climbing as soon as hitting the wall
You have to be very skilled at climbing to catch a wall mid-jump. It's extremely difficult. Especially if it's a constructed block wall.
Unless those goblins are legendary+5 climbers, you probably have little to worry about.
>>
>>152062942
Didn't Toady make it so training axes couldn't cut down trees anymore?
>>
>>152062942
Training axes can no longer cut trees
After 6 years, that "bug" was finally "fixed"
>>
What exactly makes a dwarf turn into a werebeast? I mean, I get that they have to be bitten, but does bruising the flesh count? Does it have to tear flesh? What's the exact criteria?
>>
>>152064120
Flesh puncture and it has to make it through the clothes/armor. So a werebeast could completely tear your body apart by shaking you through your steel armor, without turning you, while a simple nip to the foot when you have no shoe on will turn you.
>>
>>152064339

Welp, there goes two dorfs in a 12 dorf fort.

God damn. I've been getting a sub 1 year werebeast in my last like, 10 forts. Am I just super unlucky? I had 4 in the spring of my first year last fort.
>>
>>152064657
Do they pose as migrants or do they just walk on up?
>>
>>152064791

Both. I've had it happen both ways. This particular time was a migrant.
>>
While on the topic, do all dwarves infected by a werebeast turn at the exact same time?
>>
>>152065219
Should be, yes.
>>
Why am I getting no migrants? I haven't gotten migrants in 2 years and I know my fort value is going up. It's getting hard to manage all this construction with just 15 dwarves.
>>
>>152067239
Your civ is ded.
Migrants aren't just generated from thin air, except for during the first year.
>>
>>152063574
>>152063483
Ag fok
>>
>>152067805
well that sucks.

If my civ is dead but I'm still around, wouldn't one of my dwarves become king/queen?
>>
>>152068046
Yeah actually, I forgot about that.
Maybe it's not a dead civ, maybe you're just inaccessible. Are you getting caravans?
>>
>>152067805
It's fun getting migrants and reviewing them as they arrive. Had a few migrants with some human kills to their name recently
>>
>>152068380
I don't think I've been getting Dwarven caravans, but my Depot is accessible and I've gotten them before. And I've been getting elf and human caravans.
>>
>>152068979
Maybe there's a war going on and killing all your migrants?
That's supposed to be a feature now, right?
>>
>>152064657
Its been many games since I've had werebeasts generate in my worlds. At all.
>>
>when your fort drops below 1000 drink
>>
>>152069324
What's the controlling factor for them? Evil? Savagery? Elevation?
>>
>>152069329
>>
>>152069219
would migrants come if you have a forgotten beast in your fort? I've got one trapped in the cavern layer that I've just been ignoring because I know my military isn't ready for it.
>>
Another goblin siege and I will start calling it playground children start playing on battlefield after thing is over.
>>
>>152069984
I dont think presense of any beast is problem unless siege.

I had many caravans and migrants in previous fort even with one FB being in acceable caverns (it didn't blocked appearance of other mega beast either).
>>
>>152069478
Plainly, temples.
>>
bum
>>
Is there a way to heal or replace severed limbs?

My companion lost her foot and all she can do is hop along a bit, fall down and crawl.
It's getting pretty sad,
>>
>>152075431
Give her a crutch.

Become a werebeast and bite her, wait for a full moon.

Randomly generated companions are really, really sucky, its probably time to retire her.
>>
is there a DFHack command to help locate people in adventure mode? Legends says there's 3 elfs in this forest home but I sure can't find any
>>
>>152076120
b-but muh waifu

It's my fault she lost her foot, I let an alligator past me and it deathrolled her foot off.

Besides, it doesn't feel right putting her down like some pet when I've had her with me for about a week realtime.
>>
>wereelephant attacks
>seal the gate while I get my military into position
>some dwarf's pet cat decides to immediately run outside the gate for who the fuck knows why
>cat is slaughtered instantly
>owner was 16 z levels below the surface and hadn't been on the surface for at least a year
What the fuck was it even doing?
>>
>>152079449
So your options are:
1. Become a werebeast and bite her
2. Let her crawl around pathetically until she dies a nice humiliating death (;
3. Make her a fucking crutch
4. Retire her somewhere nice
>>
>>152079918
>>152079449
or
5. Become a vampire, then infect her so she's so ridiculously fast that crawling around without a foot isn't even a handicap
>>
>>152079839
Hunting vermin. Or wereelephants.
>>
>>152080064
You're really not gonna be "ridiculously fast" crawling around as a vampire. You would just be a slightly faster than average cripple for all eternity.
>>
>>152079918
I'd make her a crutch but apparently a copper dagger isn't a big enough tool for making it.

So I'm just looking for the crutch in towns rn
>>
>>152080621
Get an axe, chop down a tree, use the wood to make a carpenter's workshop, and then make the crutch.
Stone axes don't work though because they were affected too when Toady "fixed" training axes.
>>
I am a DWARF
And I'm digging a HOLE
DIGGY DIGGY HOLE
DIGGING A HOLE
>>
>She finds helping others very emotionally rewarding, though she wishes this were not the case as she considers altruism foolish
>She is friendly individual, and she is burdened by this tendency because she dislike idea of friendship
I need to read characters details more often, like this human Lady Consort who serve in my military have amusing conflicts about herself.
>>
>>152080958
brb, turns out my version's outdated and I can't chop trees
>>
File: kellen meself.png (143KB, 309x231px) Image search: [Google]
kellen meself.png
143KB, 309x231px
>finally get a breeding pair of jabberers
>get ready to set up a breeding programme
>jabberer has died of old age
>>
>>152034379
Losing is fun
>>
>>152040221
>hinking of making my first aquifer-enabled

it should work aslong as there is no roof to the aquifier so that it actually freezes otherwise it will still be liquid
>>
>holding rough wooden log
>holding copper rondel dagger
>trying to make a crutch
>NO AVAILABLE ITEM
FUCKING WHY
>>
>more interested in periodically checking up on Toady's progress with the game than actually playing it

am I the only one?
>>
Going to see if wild Troll and goblin owned Troll will fight each other.
>>
File: 1359329113963.png (458KB, 720x644px) Image search: [Google]
1359329113963.png
458KB, 720x644px
>invaded by a necromancer and his army of 83 zombies
>nearly all of them are armed and armored
Well I think it's about time to spend the next year or so locked inside the gates while I outfit and train my entire fortress of 52 dwarves.
Fuck.
>>
That's a first -- one necromancer in a tower informed me that the other necromancer is going to be marching on an enemy soon.
>>
>>152085658
Oh just kidding, it's only 55 zombies, all of which are armed. I forgot that there's like 80 billion crundles running around underground somewhere.
>>
>>152086212
>Oh just kidding, it's only 55 zombies
>just 55 zombies
>just
Fuck my shit up necro-sempai
>>
>>152085197
So, no. They were neutral to each other. Will remember this next time when I will be doing execution of captured monsters.
>>
File: 1d7.jpg (402KB, 1424x842px) Image search: [Google]
1d7.jpg
402KB, 1424x842px
>>152086478
necros a shit

they bring their undead shits, point them towards your fort, and then run away while your militia is busy fighting said undead shits

>necros' faces when
>>
File: Okuu peek.jpg (260KB, 459x744px) Image search: [Google]
Okuu peek.jpg
260KB, 459x744px
I'm reading the wiki pages but some of the things they say are contradictory and others I just do not understand so could some kind anon please explain bees to me?

I have bumblebee hives scattered around the map. Do I have to interact with them in some way or can I just plop down my hives in a convenient position and the beekeeping dwarves will sort it out from there?
>>
>>152087363
Do they even try to raise more undead in Fort?
>>
>>152087650
They sometimes send ambush units(very much like snatchers and thieves), supposedly trying to reach your corpse stock piles.They'll flee as soon as they're detected, though.
>>
File: gobshites.png (150KB, 1581x1369px) Image search: [Google]
gobshites.png
150KB, 1581x1369px
Should I execute this gobby or let him live?
>>
>>152088326
He's in a human town after having helped genocide the previous inhabitants, so probably. Also keep in mind that goblins won't accept surrender, but they'll ask for it.
>>
File: qEDZphr.png (54KB, 1201x1445px) Image search: [Google]
qEDZphr.png
54KB, 1201x1445px
does anyone know what program was used to make this image? or at least a similar program?
>>
File: godswork.png (142KB, 1666x1357px) Image search: [Google]
godswork.png
142KB, 1666x1357px
>>152088468
The deed is done.
>>
>>152088704
>killing people arbitrarily just because they look different and wear headscarves
your kind is the worst
>>
File: N1viY8S.png (224KB, 365x301px) Image search: [Google]
N1viY8S.png
224KB, 365x301px
>>152088959
>tfw I don't have a goblin version of this pic
>>
>>152089273
It's not really needed, since gobbos are universally hated even among the authors and mainstream fans. Elf hate is edgy and contrarian, just like /pol/ sentiments. That's why those aesthetics and rethorics fit so well with elf hate.
>>
>have iron anvils
>can't make magma forge because I have no magma safe anvils
???
>>
>>152089550
>Elf hate is edgy and contrarian
>hating the outside entity that bitches at you about cutting down trees instead of buying their kosher all natural wood products
Come on man, you can't be that good of a goy.
>>
>>152090124
>kosher all natural wood products
I unno man, I gotta get that kosher wood
>>
>>152090475
I saw this image before I saw the King of All Dwarves, amazing
>>
File: NationalHero.png (110KB, 1051x1376px) Image search: [Google]
NationalHero.png
110KB, 1051x1376px
>>152088959
Im just making the kingdom safer.
>>
File: 1455774070224.gif (1MB, 800x597px) Image search: [Google]
1455774070224.gif
1MB, 800x597px
>>152090475
Run while you still can
>>
What's the best way to defend the fortress if I don't want to seal myself off or use things like cage-traps? Should I just station squads at the entrances with 5/10 required so they can sleep and eat in shifts?
>>
File: queen.png (2KB, 681x66px) Image search: [Google]
queen.png
2KB, 681x66px
neato
>>
>>152091431
1wide bridge lined up with rapid fire balistas
>>
File: wkmp.png (103KB, 242x207px) Image search: [Google]
wkmp.png
103KB, 242x207px
>>152091541
>entire civ is in ruins
>only one brave group of dwarves remain
>they have one chance to start anew
>if they all persevera and work together, making the most of all the resources they can get their hands on, without granting themselves unnecessary luxuries, they just might survive and revive the great dwarven civilisatin

>within the first month, some useless peasant claims the throne and forces the rest to dig out a palace that's more than twice as large as the fledgling fortress
>>
>>152090079
They gotta be in a stockpile before you can use them for a construction of a building.
>>
>>152090079
Build a regular forge and make a magma safe anvil
It's not the fucking hard, Anon.
>>
Do undead sieges eventually just leave?
>>
File: 1456141428523.jpg (46KB, 398x409px) Image search: [Google]
1456141428523.jpg
46KB, 398x409px
>>152092136

what gets me is we're in the fifth year and the civ is doing fine, everyone is also locked inside the fortress (nasty web spitting FB outside) which is in the first caverns, so she basically chatted with everyone idling in the tavern and decided she's the new queen

I was in the middle of digging out nobles quarters when she ascended too which is sorta a bonus.. I guess
>>
>>152091431
Create two entrances to your fort, one of which can be sealed by a drawbridge gate. Yes, I know you said no sealing off, but...

In front of the other entrance, build an elaborate twisty death-gauntlet overlooked by multiple towers topped with fortifications. This gauntlet has no drawbridge gate at the end. In case of attack, raise the drawbridge on the first entrance, garrison marksdwarves in the towers and enjoy your Dwarven Tower Defense.
>>
>>152087607
Bumblebees are useless. You want honeybees for beekeeping.

I wouldn't recommend starting a beekeeping industry at the moment though. In my experience the net gains are very minimal. Very little mead was made in proportion to other drinks, and jugs would get stuck with royal jelly which the cook wouldn't use for cooking and as such I'd constantly have to produce more empty jugs to keep the industry going. All to produce maybe 5 or 10 units of mead drinks a month and a bunch of useless jugs clogged with jelly.
>>
>>152088959
It's fine, goblins don't count as people.
>>
File: my house.png (6KB, 227x313px) Image search: [Google]
my house.png
6KB, 227x313px
Hate having to ask for permission before sleeping in someone's home?

Funny fact: you don't have to ask the owner for permission if he's dead.
>>
>>152091431
I like to make patrol routes near entrances and assign military schedules so that there's always at least 1 military dwarf on patrol at any time.

It's been really effective at dealing with local cavern critters before they get in the fort without my notice.
>>
>>152094061
Are things like houses or shops heritable?
Can the son of the guy you just murderes come to the house and kick your ass out?
>>
>>152094846
Very little is heritable, and houses (more like wooden huts with dirt floors as humans live in utter savagery) appear to be assigned at random.
>>
>>152094846
Nah, the only houses that are linked to specific people are the structures that are tracked in worldgen(mead hall, keep, tavern, library, temple, different dungeons, et cetera). The cottages, houses and shops seems to act as backdrops at the moment(as interactive as they may be in adv mode).
>>
>>152095156
>>152095131
So...that gonna change eventually right?
With the whole starting scenarios stuff?
I mean, It would be pretty dumb to not do it
>>
YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!

After six darn embarks I've done it, I found an embark with iron ore. Smell ya later you elfs lily livers, I gots me some digging to do!
>>
real talk /dfg/ this undead siege has been on the border of my embark for like 2 seasons now and has done absolutely nothing but move back and forth in a like, 20x20 area.

What the fuck can I make them go away or will they do so on their own or should I just cage trap all dem bitches or what

I've got like 15 dwarves so military isn't good
>>
>>152095653
of course it'll change eventually, dirt floors and no beds and no mead in the mead halls are naturally placeholders
>>
>>152095653
Keeping track of tens (if not hundreds) of thousands of small buildings doesn't seem worth the lost world gen speed, especially considering that only like one percent of them will be used by actual hist figs.
>>
>>152095873
wew, thank god

Although I would still want to find old wrecked abandoned houses in the middle of the road
>>152096034
Fuck that, I can sacrifice some gen time for the sake of coherence.
What would you want then from a whole-world simulation game if the big percentage of it it's gonna be poorly designed and ignored
>>
>>152095750
the very first time I played DF I was told to just make a line of cage twaps leading into my base and so I Did
>>
>>152095750
I had a goblin siege outside of my gate for like 8 hours worth of real life gameplay time
eventually I just said fuck it and let my military get a taste of real action
>>
Say I wanted to get rid of all my crappy mechanisms in traps and replace them with masterworks. Can I just label them for dump in the stocks screen and they'll be disassembled, or do I need to look in every single trap individually and deconstruct the ones that have bad mechanisms?
>>
>>152096676

The latter or neither
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4vJjSV8SaU
>>
>>152096354
You do realise that 99% of all people you meet in adventure mode aren't historical figures, do you? They're generated using abstract population data. Since they don't exist until they're loaded for the first time, it's impossible to keep track of house ownership among them in worldgen. Since they don't have families, it's also impossible to have them inherit houses from one another.

99% of all characters, along with whatever shitty hovels they live in will always be historically irrelevant backdrops for the greater plot. This isn't some placeholder until the game becomes more accurate: the game used to be more accurate in the respect that all characters used to be historical figures. Toady decided to add the abstract populations to make the worlds feel more populated and alive.
>>
>>152089273
What would be good for Goblins though?
"Keep an eye on the Goblin, he'll take what he's oglin' "?
>>
>>152096986
why do you post this in every fucking thread dude?
>>
Congratulations, you named a block of rock and called it a legendary artifact. Truly you are a master craftsman Oddom Floorparched.
>>
>>152097161
I'm pretty sure the unspoken assumption is *if they have a son*, ergo a historical figure.

Also what % of NPCs you meet are histfigs will vary.
>>
>>152097259
Not him, but I think that he's just linking every new episode.

He might also be the creator trying to shill. Not that I'm complaining. There are far worse posts in this general.
>>
File: ahaha.jpg (23KB, 480x472px) Image search: [Google]
ahaha.jpg
23KB, 480x472px
>>152095724
>he can't play the game unless there's iron
>>
>>152096986
Enjoy your downvotes for spamming this every single fucking thread.
>>
>>152097693
well, my bad, I didn't even know the episodes varied, I just looked at the thumbnail and though he was reposting the same shit every time
>far worse posts in this general
touche

what's dfg's opinion on adventure mode dreams and dream worlds?
>>
>>152095750
I'm in the exact same situation as you. Thankfully I have a magma forge and a shitload of bronze, so I'm slowly equipping my entire fortress. I have all civilians grouped into squads based on how valuable they are (E.G Alpha Reserve has my brewer, cook, smiths and strand extractors, while Delta Reserve just has all my useless dwarves who have shitty military stats)
Everyone currently has a weapon, so I'm just waiting on my armorer now. I have everyone training right now, and it should be at least another season before my armorer finishes equipping them all. I'll give them another season to train so they can get used to their armor, and then I'm going to open the gates and go fuck up some zombies.

I will be a bit disappointed if they decide to just leave before my military is finished.
>>
File: Best instrument.png (23KB, 1658x278px) Image search: [Google]
Best instrument.png
23KB, 1658x278px
>>152097580
Totally forgot my pic
I guess it's just that shitty and forgettable of an artifact
>>
>>152098156
I could in in every fort except for one, and even then I'm not sure because it happened more than two years ago. But it's not just iron, it was copper too. All I could find was some silver now and then. I think I didn't crank up the minerals enough in world gen.

I could survive with crappy copper stuff and slowly trade/goblinite my way from there, but I can't even forge armor with silver, not to mention I was swamped with garnierite and cassiterite. I just wanted some weapons grade stuff once in a while so I don't have to resort to melting exploits.
>>
>>152098695
m8, I've never seen an artifact instrument, that's pretty sweet

Wait, the instrument is basically a huge-ass glass block that the performer hits non-stop?

procedural generation was a mistake
>>
If I switch my civ will I still get migrants from my previous civ's forts?
>>
File: dante1.gif (27KB, 676x992px) Image search: [Google]
dante1.gif
27KB, 676x992px
>>152098372
I'm pretty fucking hyped. Different planes has been in the scope since the first Armok game(it has disappeared from the list periodically, though), so it's great that Toady's confirmed it for the myth update. It opens up so many possibilities. First, it adds the possibility to visit celestial plains where you can visit deities and chill in their mythical cities(assuming they won't send vault-style angels at you for intruding). Second, it adds the possibility to have dream worlds, like you said. Third, and this is something I've mentioned in the general before, it adds the possibility to have additional celestial bodies in the sky, which you can visit using magic.
>>
File: ray_stevenson_a_p.jpg (27KB, 349x524px) Image search: [Google]
ray_stevenson_a_p.jpg
27KB, 349x524px
>>152096928
Glad that works.

>Set up 3 mechanics
>One's 20 from strange mood, others are 3 and 11
>The 3 gets a strange mood almost immediately
>>
>>152099969
Hey, I remember when you posted that, god I enjoyed that chat
Do you think the dreamer's personality and traumas could help shape the dreamworld he enters?
The famous trope of a guy forced to see his family getting killed every time he falls asleep enters this possibilitie, and frankly, apart from being hella cool, serves as a constant reminder of past deeds or objectives for the adventurer
>>
>>152099394
Yeah I was pretty excited about it when I saw it was an instrument.
Then I looked at what the instrument actually was.
>>
>>152101239
>god I enjoyed that chat
link?
>>
>>152099969
Imagine being like kratos and killing a god and then becoming one yourself
>>
>>152101239
That'd be cool. The hardening level, from "Death. This is truly horrifying" to "doesn't care about anything anymore" alcoholic level could be a big factor.
>>
>>152101440
Sorry, I was talking about our conversation in some previous thread, there's no chat
Although I usually take screencapps from posts that seem interesting to me, let me check it out
>>152101554
I mean, as we have seen in the magic/myth software Toady showed, certain gods or forces will have much impact on the world than they do now, and players might be able to affect myths in-game, so that seems very possible
I can see it perfectly happen with some more communication/psychology updates
>be dwarf
>Wife some chick
>chick gets killed by god
>no
Then, If your adventurer's will/determination and your love for her were high enough, some of that god's enemy might realize that, if you would manage to obtain enough power, you would kill god
bam, he contacts you and offers to take wife out of hell if you manage to avenge her
>>152101810
truly, it would be a way of making your adventurer's personality gets noticed at least a bit in-game. Apart from your needs, its the exact same to play as a cruel hobo-murderer than to play as an afeminated scholar
>>
>>152103031
You do get horrified and then hardened to death in the current version.
>>
>>152103031
"Cruelty" isn't really a mechanical thing, but how fucked you are in the head is.

Also, your writing ability and scholar and bard abilities can have plenty of an effect. Your books can give or remove drives from other dorfs.
>>
>>152104464
or actually cruelty IS a minor thing, mostly affecting how kind or cruel your creative works come off as, but not much beyond that.
>>
File: Martial trance.png (81KB, 1675x975px) Image search: [Google]
Martial trance.png
81KB, 1675x975px
Got everyone equipped, and managed to get enough adamantine to make ten axes for my main squad.
As soon as I opened the gates, my main squad charged out there and the very first hit of the battle was one of my soldiers decapitating the necromancer with a single hit.

Also, this happened. Aren't martial trances supposed to be rare?
>>
>>152105058
Just triggered by being outnumbered with multiple foes visible.
>>
>>152105421
Oh ok, well there was initially 50 zombies so I guess it's not too surprising that everyone and their mom is going martial.
>>
File: fuzzy.png (166KB, 900x951px) Image search: [Google]
fuzzy.png
166KB, 900x951px
is vortex supposed to look so fuzzy
>>
File: glass monster.png (17KB, 1740x79px) Image search: [Google]
glass monster.png
17KB, 1740x79px
This FB showed up when I was about to be done for today. Looks like tomorrow session will be more fun.
>>
>>152105058
They are rare but I think they're affected by how many enemies target you.
>>
>Gigantic wrestler slug
>killed several dozen frog demons
>I spent half a day throwing my spear at it
>lucky throw with the iron long spear pierces it's head and into it's brain
>one hit kills it.
Wew, worth it.
Got my thrower from nothing to novice.
>>
>>152107293
Is the wrestler slug a demon? I fought an escaped slug demon from hell, or several, and sure enough, they have a brain somewhere in their body that can be instantly killed.
>>
>>152108126
Yeah man, I found them first in a ruined fort with a hellhole somewhere spewing demons

And every time I'm near them I smell brimstone.

I'm fighting another elite slug wrestler, and yeah. Brimstone.
>>
>>152108281
That's fucking awesome, and EXACTLY what happened to me. Hellslug wrestlers and all. Called buff monsters or buff demons. I also ran into ice demons as well.

I think its really awesome that DF OCCASIONALLY slips them in. Wonder what if anything covers the frequency.
>>
File: Forgotten Beast Mothram.png (119KB, 1672x978px) Image search: [Google]
Forgotten Beast Mothram.png
119KB, 1672x978px
OH SHIT IT"S MOTHRAm
>>
>>152108673
Aand Mothram just got fucking owned by that other forgotten beast I totally forgot about.
>>
>>152106262
You have [TEXTURE_PARAM:NEAREST] in your df/data/init/init.txt file, change it to LINEAR and it fixes that.
>>
File: Untitled.png (625KB, 1391x995px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
625KB, 1391x995px
My first encounter with a dragon that didn't involve it walking straight into a cage trap was interesting.

BUT ITS OKAY, SPRING IS IN THE AIR
>>
>>152109508
Don't worry anon, forest fires are perfectly natural and are part of a healthy forest cycle!
>>
I need wood and I can't find any in the caverns. Do regions with no overground trees have none in the caverns too?
>>
>>152111721
There's no connection, its just the nature of caverns.
>>
>>152111721
nah. some caverns have no water though, which means that only blood thorns can grow; since blood thorns only exist in the third cavern layer (if you gen 3), if the top cavern layer has no water, it will have no trees

tl;dr keep digging
>>
>>152110517
What isn't is the artifacts that got lit on fire and won't stop burning. I made a few pond zones above it to try and put it out but apparently the dwarves keep missing.
>>
If dwarfs love Water Mist so much, they must really love Magma Mist, right?
>>
File: messy.png (126KB, 1928x666px) Image search: [Google]
messy.png
126KB, 1928x666px
Forgotten Beast getting outskilled by a Hungry Head while fighting above a magma vent
>>
>>152112053
You're playing with forces you cannot hope to control here, Anon
>>
>>152061340
>>152061228
>>152060650
>>152060842
>>152060920
Thanks guys
>>
>>152109276

It's set to LINEAR which I guess is the default
>>
So how the fuck do giant slug wrestlers attack so fast despite being fuckass slow?
>>
>>152114783
Did you died?

>Taking on fucking demons when you don't have to

As of 40.xx, movement speed is decoupled from general action speed.
>>
>>152114995
No, but the fucker bit my toe.
I killed two demons so far, but holy hell I can't melee them for shit
>>
>>152115120
Attacking demons isn't necessarily the best choice. At least get your own demon with steel body armor and a steel or adamantine axe first.
>>
File: UHHH.png (47KB, 1529x230px) Image search: [Google]
UHHH.png
47KB, 1529x230px
What should I do with it guys?
>>
>>152086478
>55 zombies
>not having 55 cages
bro
>>
How the fuck do I design my workshop area lads

I usually just do it like so but this is boring and inefficient as fuck. Just fill that shit with workshops, fit in a big ol storage area with EVERYTHING under it and call it a day
>>
File: dumb.png (176KB, 1675x991px) Image search: [Google]
dumb.png
176KB, 1675x991px
>>152117747
fucking christ
>>
>>152088468
>Also keep in mind that goblins won't accept surrender, but they'll ask for it.
this caught me out several times in the past. little pricks
had to bite all of their heads off
>>
How would I go about adding a creature specifically for use as an outsider in adventure mode. How would I make its tissues out of bronze or platinum?
>>
>>152117184
>mastershit

I want modfags to go
>>
>>152114410
Which tileset is that?
>>
File: vortexsq.png (11KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
vortexsq.png
11KB, 384x384px
>>152118273
>>
File: CursesSquare.png (10KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
CursesSquare.png
10KB, 384x384px
>>152118381
Weird, that's my vorpal square set but it shouldn't be fuzzy like that, did you zoom out some? It fits natively on a 1920x1080 screen.

Same set as this just with the shading.
>>
File: mozgus approved.jpg (83KB, 728x497px) Image search: [Google]
mozgus approved.jpg
83KB, 728x497px
>>152117184
Capture it and force it to fight in gladiatorial battles!
>>
>>152118669

No zoom but I play 1/2 screen, it looks fine full screen (1920x1080 but I need to zoom out because what the fug it only shows like 1 room by default)
>>
>>152117909
>>152117747
That's what I do too and it works for me. One massive stockpile layer, with a worshop layer above or below it, connected every 11 squares by staircases.
I also cram in dorms and meeting areas everywhere so everyone pretty much lives in the stockpile. I find it very efficient, even when enemies get inside they get swarmed by dozens of dwarves and smeared into paste. Of course if something with syndromes got in I'd be fucked, so I have guards at every entrance and isolation rooms equipped with showers and "showers".
>>
File: JesusFuck.png (56KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
JesusFuck.png
56KB, 1920x1080px
>>152120415
Yeah, I made it for larger screens, you need to zoom out to a different multiple for it to be cleaner, like 12x12.
>>
>>152120694
Sometimes you have a moment where you stop and ask yourself what you've been doing with your life, like right after you kick the dick off a yeti.
>>
why the fuck won't my broker go trade

all he wants to do is fucking dance in the bar and these fucking traders are probably going to leave any minute now
>>
File: Shepardsabusyman.png (1MB, 900x1062px) Image search: [Google]
Shepardsabusyman.png
1MB, 900x1062px
>>152121432
>>
>>152121432
Chances are you fucked up somewhere down the line, dorfs only hang out the tavern when they have nothing better to do.
>>
Anon gestures.
The thread shudders and begins to move!
>>
File: NeatRiverCanyons.png (94KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NeatRiverCanyons.png
94KB, 1920x1080px
>>152125490
>The thread peasant skeleton stands up.
>>
my god there're demons EVERYWHERE in the world now.
What do I do?
>>
>>152128508
The only thing you can do, Urist.
Set out, and slay every last one of them.
>>
About to give adventure mode a go for the first time in... 2 years? Maybe it's already been 3. Any hot tips for an eager boy?
>>
>>152129045
Wear dirty panties so nobody can tell when you crap yourself after your armor breaks, cause it breaks now.

Oh, and there's singing and dancing!
>>
File: look ma no hands.png (90KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
look ma no hands.png
90KB, 1600x900px
>>152021229
Well, I decided to do it. After significantly more setup than I expected, I am now playing Dwarf Fortress without even looking at it.
>>
>>152128932
but they're TOO FAST
>>
>>152129635
Then you need to train.
>>
>>152129595
Except I do have to unpause it when migrants arrive, and probably when they inevitably wind up dying of thirst.
>>
>>152129595

disdain_for_plebs.jpg
>>
File: outside sucks anyway.png (20KB, 642x661px) Image search: [Google]
outside sucks anyway.png
20KB, 642x661px
>>152129595
Update:
Perhaps there was actually a good reason for my dwarves to seal themselves in a fallout shelter after all. I did notice before embarking that we were at war with both the goblins and the elves, and examining one of the stories they're telling each other informs me that we got a new king a few months after we embarked. So, there's a decent chance my dwarves might be the only ones left in a while.
>>
>>152129696
And also labelled Gigantic.

Every time I hit them it just cuts the skin, and at most, some muscle.
And since the world didn't spawn with a fortress, I don't actually have any real armour, just leather robes n shit.

The one fortress in the world WITH dwarf armour is mine, and it's across the seeeaaaaa
I have seen the end.
It ends in fire and brimstone.
>>
File: spooky.png (7KB, 642x323px) Image search: [Google]
spooky.png
7KB, 642x323px
>>152129595
First time I've seen a ghost, hopefully it will only bother folks on the surface.
>>
>>152132948
Basically, restless haunts will be harmless as long as your dwarves are drunk.

The ghosts that wake people up, or the ones that topple furniture and harm dwarves, are always bad.
>>
>>152133150
My dwarves are definitely not drunk, as I can't be bothered to learn the new manager interface to get them to make alcohol without my supervision. How much trouble are they in for? So far it seems to be sticking to the surface.
>>
>>152133246
>>152133150
Oh, and when I say "how much trouble are they in for?" I mean my underground dwarves. Those surface folks can die for all I care and will soon enough.
>>
File: nothing to he he he about.png (135KB, 306x311px) Image search: [Google]
nothing to he he he about.png
135KB, 306x311px
>>152133246
>My dwarves are definitely not drunk
Fix this, then.

Also, give the poor sod a proper burial. If the body is inaccessible, just give them a memorial slab.
>>
>>152096676
I wanted to get rid of all my crappy mechanisms in traps and replace them with masterworks. Can I just label them for dump in the stocks screen and they'll be disassembled, or do I need to look in every single trap individually and deconstruct the ones that have bad mechanisms?
>>
File: CersiGrinninLikeABoss.png (67KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CersiGrinninLikeABoss.png
67KB, 1920x1080px
>>152133620
The latter, sadly.
>>
>>152133401
You don't understand. Follow the reply chain.
That Urist is keeping his starting seven sealed away underground forever and completely ignoring any dwarves that migrate.
>>
File: moonshine.png (11KB, 642x332px) Image search: [Google]
moonshine.png
11KB, 642x332px
>>152133401
Ok, I think I've got the manager set up to keep them drunk now. No way am I going to be making memorial slabs in this fort though. The whole point is for me to do practically nothing.
>>
>>152133971
Then I really don't give a fuck about what happens to his dwarves. Ghosts are literally your bad karma for neglecting the dead, made manifest.
>>
Am I mistaken or do bones etc now decay only if they're underground? If so that is the opposite of how it used to be.
>>
One of my female dwarves dropped its baby and now the baby is roaming around the fort wailing like fuck with all the other dwarves panicking and trying to give it water only to realize that our fort has no access to it. I canceled the mother's jobs hoping that she'd pick the baby up but she's just loitering in meeting areas now.

Should I be worried?
>>
>>152135039
Baby's fucked, unless you can crack open a water source somewhere. Have you opened the caverns yet?

The mother won't pick up the baby again.
>>
When you generate continents, How large do you make them? How much minerals do you place?
>>
>>152135204
Default. Not like it makes much of a difference.
>>
>>152135039
dump the baby into your sacrificial tube
>>
File: 1-00499-01-01-world_map.png (82KB, 792x1188px) Image search: [Google]
1-00499-01-01-world_map.png
82KB, 792x1188px
>>152135204
1500 rarity, lower messes with things in weird ways I don't fully understand, higher kills reliable metal+flux sites.
>>
File: getting smarter.png (44KB, 642x661px) Image search: [Google]
getting smarter.png
44KB, 642x661px
>>152129595
He he.
>>
>>152135129

Yeah I explored the first two and didn't find any water.

Any way I can stop the cancellation spam then? Maybe I should just lock the baby outside.
>>
>>152135809
>child is crawling around and dehydrating
>most people would feel bad about this
>we play df and know kids are awful
>the question is how best to get rid of the kid without everyone else freaking out
>>
>>152135809
Spawn some water with df hack?
>>
>Doing a large wall around my base
>Lose track of things
>Run out of liquor
>A long while after I get a message "Dwarven Child found dead"
>Turns out 2 children are dead
>6 people are in the hospital as well
>Only reports I can still read are of the outpost liaison fistfighting random dwarves
>Put up memorial slabs to see what killed the children
>Says one of my hammerdwarves did it by the name of Girderclasp
>None of my dwarves have the children in their kill list on rapist

I'm pretty new and I have no idea what happened here.
>>
File: Frank-Drebin.jpg (135KB, 960x547px) Image search: [Google]
Frank-Drebin.jpg
135KB, 960x547px
>>152133907
>>
>>152136809
>Dwarves had no alcohol to keep them blissfully ignorant of reality.
>random fistfights escalating into infanticide and fratricide.
Just a normal day in dwarf land.
>>
File: crevaseesoreal.png (56KB, 1089x380px) Image search: [Google]
crevaseesoreal.png
56KB, 1089x380px
>Travelling on the ocean after nightfall
>I think I can cross the ocean like this
>Travel for a while
>Suddenly my companion behind me disappears and a wall of ice appears.
>It's a goddamn Crevasse
>Start climbing down, 12 levels below ocean level and still no end in sight
>Start thinking she's probably dead.
>See a small flat surface on the side, climb in to rest.
>Think: This is a massive wall of ice, I should be fine with a small fire to melt ice for a drink
>drink water
>2-3 level deep water where the fire used to be
>Oh, shit. Well I'm close enough to the edge so I can swim out-
>Freezes over immediately, ascending 1 Z-level above it. Trapping me.

pic related.
I'm surprised they got two of the less known phenomena in the artic/antartics down.
>>
>>152137886
>I'm surprised they got two of the less known phenomena in the artic/antartics down.
Explain this.

I always thought this was a bug(albeit a really cool one).
>>
>>152138069
Okay, well first off the Crevasse, is a term to describe a phenomenon where the entire glacier quite literally cracks in two or more due to faults in the ice, shocks, etc etc, creating a massive crevasse usually fathoms deep. But sometimes shallow enough for you to survive if you fall down it.
The cracks though, happen fast enough that it'd catch you unuwares and people would fall down it and die, unable to grab onto anything or stop themselves from falling down as the ground beneath them splits in two.

The other phenomena, is sort of like the Crevasse, but in reverse. This usually happens at "rivers" or points in the region where ice repeatedly melts and re-freezes. The "banks" of said rivers contracting and shrinking towards the other each time this happens. Eventually, the two banks would meet, and create an ice formation where it looks like a wall of ice spikes got embedded against each other like a slanted palisade, rising up out of the ground.
>>
>>152138359
That sounds pretty interesting. Know where I can read more about it?
>>
File: WolfBowling.png (58KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WolfBowling.png
58KB, 1920x1080px
>>152138359
Unfortunately the second part was suicide, the campfire thing, I use it to melt ice walls sometimes to get through areas, even did constructions like this before.
>>
File: dsc02892.jpg (3MB, 3456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
dsc02892.jpg
3MB, 3456x2592px
>>152138526
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crevasse

can't remember the name for the second one,

>>152138639
yeah, I know. But I was talking about the fact that the water rose high enough to kill me while re-freezing.
>>
>>152138359
Crevasses are not intentionally generated in DF. It's a glitch that certainly doesn't adhere to terrain features that the glacier moves over. Glaciers don't move at all, while we're at it.

Ice can melt with fire, and it will refreeze soon enough. This is intentional. Though there creation of ice-bridges as you describe it doesn't happen intentionally with that phenomena in mind.
>>
>>152138784
Pretty neat.

They're probably not intention, but rather a strange result of non-frozen water freezing entirely after being loaded.

It's pretty cool that in correlates with a real-world phenomenom, though. I hope Toady doesn't take it out. I remember that I struggled to find one in version 0.34, but couldn't. Then they came back in 0.40, possibly due to all the climbing/multitile tree shit that Toady added.
>>
Top laners seriously find a way of losing to AP Shaco.
This is supposed to be plat.
>>
>>152139289
>playing worst moba
>>
>>152139359
>posting in this thread with shit taste
>>
One of my dwarves is dejected about being away from traditions. What counts as being traditional?
>>
File: 7c6.png (11KB, 211x246px) Image search: [Google]
7c6.png
11KB, 211x246px
>>152139289
>>
File: dank.jpg (55KB, 600x290px) Image search: [Google]
dank.jpg
55KB, 600x290px
>>152139503
Dancing.
>>
>>152139638
You know what, I've noticed that my dwarves haven't been doing anything in the tavern except telling stories. They do know some music and dances and poetry, but they just tell stories or "socialize". What's up with that?
>>
>>152139762
Maybe your civ simply hasn't composed any dances? Do you allow visitors? Those can probably learn your dwarves a few dances. Otherwise, I guess you could create an adventurer, have the adventurer compose a few dances, and then retire him in your fort.
>>
>>152139359
What is a moba?
>>
>>152140158
I guess that's possible, since my world had only 5 years of history.

In other news, apparently having ghosts (or maybe dead bodies, I'm not sure which is doing it) scare dwarves is an effective way to train discipline.
>>
>>152140508
>5 years
wew
>>
I've got a stockpile for barrels by my Still set to give them to the still. Even with 30 someodd peasants with no jobs, only 1 or 2 of them at a time will bring a barrel to the stockpile, so the brewer hardly works. Is there a better way to handle this, or do I just need to make more brewers and have them walk to the carpenter's shop/other furniture stockpile to get them?
>>
File: cackling intensifies.png (5KB, 266x314px) Image search: [Google]
cackling intensifies.png
5KB, 266x314px
Everytime i hear "incessant cackling" I imagine psychadelic jazz playing.
>>
If I use the legends viewer to find a lair of some mega beast and place my embark there will I immediately encounter him if I place it directly over its lair, or does it simply make me wait less before it comes around?
>>
>>152141632
I would guess your 7 would immediately get ripped in half before they can unhitch the animals from the cart.
>>
>>152141632
I think he just spawns on you almost immediately. It depends on if he's home at the time or not.
>>
>>152140457
A multiplayer game such as Quake
>>
Carvans when
>>
>>152144836
cavrans alrdey in game
>>
File: Nazomtomem.png (12KB, 1621x102px) Image search: [Google]
Nazomtomem.png
12KB, 1621x102px
Oh boy I can't wait for hundreds of forgotten beasts to try and attack my fort now! Maybe they'll even kill the last 8 of them for me!
>>
File: star zoo.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
star zoo.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>tfw you'll never see the animated final cutscene in Star Zoo
>>
>>152144925
>not gaem
you had but one job
>>
>create world
>make refuse, corpse, wood, stone etc etc stockpiles
>make workshops of all kinds
>set up farm
>still and kitchen, order cook to make shit
>make a bunch of barrels
>make bedrooms for everyone
>make office for broker and bookkeeper
>still always die as soon as winter hits
there must be something im missing
>>
Is there a command in DFhack to remove a certain species from an instance in the world? Like if say, in my experimentation with mods the one town in my world is infested with hostile wereanimals could I just type /kill werebeast_local or some other command and fix it?
>>
>>152134847
They only decay in refuse piles, which is exactly how it's always been.
>>
How populated can towns in adventure mode be before they are unplayable framerate-wise? Does 64-bit change it?
>>
>>152150623
being a vampire or necro who can run constantly is the best cure
>>
>>152150840
How does that change framerate issues?
>>
>>152140158
>>152140508
Civs are genned knowing a few of every art form, including dances.
>>
>>152150997
Moving faster means fewer actions take place in the world around you between your own actions.
>>
>>152151145
I suppose, but what about a city with around 3000 entities in it?
>>
>>152150623
Not sure.

Be vampire (necro doesn't help) + go at night for massive framerate improvement.

I was able to go in and enslave a demon lord in a dark fortress of 3000+ gobbos/trolls/etc with no noticeable lag due to coming in at night with a sprintin vampire.
>>
>>152151012
They know the art forms, but that doesn't mean that they have individual dances. I've started out as an adventurer not knowing any songs/dances, but could still write my own because I knew the forms.

The forms are mandatory, the individual pieces are not.
>>
>>152151274
Go at night.
>>
>>152141351
I just keep my still (and most of my farm workshops) centrally located and don't allow barrels to be taken to furniture stockpiles. This way the brewer never has to walk far to grab an empty barrel
>>
It seems the GOAT start is to become a vampire first thing. You can strangle a zombie for 300 million years if you like as well if you brought armor.

Which is better -- disease resistance or recuperation?
>>
>>152151664
Neither of them do anything at all.
>>
>>152151735
Are you serious? This is the first time I've heard that.
>>
>>152151664
>disease resistance
Helps against infections and were-infection. More important in fort mode, since healable wounds instaheal in adv mode.

>recuperation
Useful in fort mode, not so much in adv mode, also due to instahealing. Doesn't heal nerve damage or cartilage.
>>
>>152152220
Disease resistance potentially factors into wound infections, but nobody's actually looked into it to verify if and what they do. Also, since adventurers seem to be immune to infection anyway, it's not like your disease resist matters.

Recuperation USED to affect your weight, so if you had it really high you would be lean and muscular, and if you had it really low you would be a fatass. As of the latest few updates though it doesn't even do that anymore as far as I can tell.
Outside of determining how fat you are, it does absolutely nothing. You can have it set to 0 and still heal exactly as fast as someone who has it set to 5000.
>>
>>152151375
I've never seen a form gen without at least one example of the form being genned with it. I'm inclined to suspect that your adventurer just didn't know any individual songs or dances for the civ's forms.
>>
can I mod the game so i can stab people with my hair?
>>
File: this human knows the deal.png (64KB, 1280x595px) Image search: [Google]
this human knows the deal.png
64KB, 1280x595px
What do you listen to when playing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rC0iX_JvYaE
>>
>>152152836
burzum
>>
>>152152563
Putting points into the dancing or music makes you start out with knowledge about ALL dances or songs in your civ.
>>
>>152152947
All individual songs and dances? Not just the forms? So you're saying you could make an adventurer a novice musician, write 100 crap songs, retire him, and make a new adventurer that knows every one of them?
>>
>>152153725
Not sure about post-worldgen songs, to be honest. As for the worldgen songs, someone actually has to write them, so depending on the historical circumstances, it should be possible to get a civ without any songs at all.

The exception here is the improvised forms. For them, the form is also the song. Not all civs have those, however.
>>
>>152117518
>using cages

bruh
>>
>>152152836
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6FXeupOp04
>>
>>152152530
>>152152540
I've gotten at least 2 adventurers with low to medium human disease resistance that developed infections, the last one in virtually no time at all (it has to have been at most an hour after the fact -- wounded in a dark fortress's outskirts then quickly hustling out). Since then, I started playing elf adventurers with above average disease resist (and elves have disease resist +++) and have never had an infection.

Wholly anecdotal, I realize.

As far as recuperation, its also anecdotal but I can cut off multiple gobbo limbs without them bleeding to death (they have recuperation +), but I lose one hand and I'm brought to pale with heavy blood loss. That seems to be a thing.
>>
>build a small fort with population capped at 40
>build a library by the bedrooms for ambiance and a paperwork industry to support it
>fort suddenly turns into a multicultural college
>25% of current population is just scholars sitting in the library
>dwarves reading about physics and medicine ignoring actual work
>>
Or right back to game, time to deal with FB.

It looked like it would go straight to my tunels leading to staircase, what would case some causlties among guard dogs and random civilians before my army arrives. Instead it went swimming and it keeps going back and for, stead closing underground lake.
>>
>>152156323
Snarky social commentary aside, this isn't true for DF.

Libraries are like taverns; only purple activities will cancel actual work. The only ones who use them full time are the scholars and scribes that you appoint yourself.
>>
>>152035646
I want to change the raws to make a Minotaur a playable class. I already know how to upgrade all skills to legendary using the raws. Also, I wanted to know how to change the population ratio so that I won't run into any more super-Minotaurs.

Additionally, when I open up creature_standard.txt, I don't see the ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE tag. Isn't that what makes a race playable in adventure mode, or am I being dumb?
>>
>>152152530
>were-infection
Disease resistance doesn't have anything to do with werebeast curses, they're not diseases. The only instance where I've ever seen anyone even attempt to demonstrate that werebeast curses might have a sub-100% chance to infect on a successful bite showed that disease resistance wasn't a factor at all in determining whether a creature got the curse or not.
>>
>>152156678
[OUTSIDER_CONTROLLABLE]
>>
I've embarked right on top of a shirne which is a bronze colossus' lair. And there he is, doing nothing at all. Maybe since he can't see my dwarves and there is no building he isn't trying to come over?
>>
>>152157180
Probably. Keep the FUCK away though.
>>
>>152156678
>ALL_MAIN_POPS_CONTROLLABLE
That's an entity token, not a creature token.
>>
>>152157291
I'm not planing to play through this map though, I was just testing if something like this can happen at all.
>>
>>152157291
So I managed to drown six of my starting seven, and I ordered the last one to channel about 5 tiles away from the colossus. He still didn't attack him. Maybe I'm the uninvited guest now?
>>
>>152157834
Facing is a thing.
>>
>>152157951
Oh no, looks like they didn't drown, so only one miner who came right next to him got killed. I built a building and he still isn't coming over. And I've partially guessed it. next to his name it says current resident. He's not a guest anymore.

Maybe he has to be on a historical rampage to attack automatically? Maybe I haven't acquired enough wealth to attract him?
>>
>>152158230
Build fort with him. Maybe he will be defending place from other invaders?
>>
>>152158325
I like it, funnel all invaders into his lair
colossi are nostun, I don't know, maybe you could do something with stone fall traps or cave-in dust or something to weaken his prey?
>>
I got a vampire visitor, any idea what I should do with it? Will it behave itself like the goblin visitors?
>>
This cave lake itself is good defense. If I didn't mess with it by digging, it probably lead to FB swimming it it for ages undisturbed and my fort safe.
>>
>>152158779
No he'll kill people.

And if you feel like it, set up a well and some upright spike traps so you can create a blood well and give yourself a vampire fort, seeing as it is that you can feed them booze to avoid slowdown in the bar.
>>
>>152158779
>what I should do with it
Be hospitable.
>will it behave itself
Yes, that's exactly what it will do.
>>
Stopped looking at this FB and suddently its on staircase far below this cavern lake (and climb up bypassing my army). Next time I will make my squads wait at stairs.
>>
What kind of foods do goblins like?
>>
>>152160558
They don't eat.

Do NOT let goblins stay at your tavern, or else they will infect your dwarves with propaganda for the goblin agenda. This sounds like a joke or something like that. It isn't.
>>
My only beetleman in fort (solder marskman) is dead. Stupidly attacked FB alone.
>>
Would it be possible to make elven or goblin subraces that show up as different on the embark screen, but in game are simply listed as "Elf" or "Goblin?"
>>
>>152161343
However I could interpret it that atept to save (high ranking) civilian.
At same time manager who was doing mining duty in tunnels was ambushed by monster at staircase, manager, badly wounded survived.
>>
>>152161357

Castes act like genders so unless you copy and paste the creature raws/entity they would not show up separately.
>>
>>152156770
You better link that source anon. I'm pretty sure tileset-anon did some experiments that showed that creatures with higher disease resistance made them less likely to catch the curse.

>attempt to demonstrate that werebeast curses might have a sub-100% chance
Lol, why would someone desperately try to prove something that's a well known fact?
>>
File: man-feeling-scared-24862694.jpg (53KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
man-feeling-scared-24862694.jpg
53KB, 300x450px
>hist figs: 32051
>dead: 33000
>>
In my gaol, I've got a chained up elf bard vampire. I've released a family of Mountain Goat people into his holding cell, hoping they'd take issue with him... but I think they've done some hippy commune shit and doing some jamboree shit
>>
>>152159002
Since vampires don't need to breathe, I assume that they can't die from alcohol poisoning either? I guess they can still fuck your shit up with vomit, though.
>>
>>152164706
ask them to play you a song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTvdHxCFqvI&index=2
>>
So I'm having a hard time figuring out some names for critters in my mod. Simply put its a mod that permits up to 40 enemy civs at once; I dislike the fact that you can only fight one elven and one goblin civ at a time in vanilla DF, even if the world is getting overrun.

So this idea allows you to have as many antagonist civs as you want, up to 40, and would have up to 20 elf and 20 goblin civs; the elves in question are hostile ones, but you can still have trade partner elven frenemies if desired.

What I'm having a hard time figuring out is names.

As >>152162549 made me realize, via caste names and such I could probably make them just seem to be ordinary elves and goblins in-game, so this would be mostly just an embark screen thing.

My current idea is that the elf types would begin with A, B, C, D, and the goblin types would begin wtih G, H, I, J or F, G, H, I or something. That way you can tell at a glance how many of each category and tier of enemy is nearby.
>>
>>152164793
They have no nausea, no dizziness, no breathing, no stunning, no fevers, no pain, etc. etc. etc.
>>
>>152165339
and no swag!
>>
>>152165015

My post said specifically they wouldn't show up on the embark screen if you went with castes.
>>
>>152165471
I'm talking about the opposite.
>>
>>152166315

No worries m8.

You'll probably want to diversify their region preferences so they don't become super cluttered and run out of places to spawn.
>>
File: 2016_08_18_11_38_00.jpg (284KB, 1300x1194px) Image search: [Google]
2016_08_18_11_38_00.jpg
284KB, 1300x1194px
>>151988236
Wish granted!
>>
>>152164220
That's exactly the test I'm referencing, which test was performed because it's not a well known fact (and disputable). His tests showed the opposite; there was no connection between the disease resistance of the bitten and whether or not they turned. As far as I'm aware that was only attempt that's ever been made to study werebeast curse transmission rates. I haven't looked since, but at the time neither I nor anyone else in the thread could find any research on bay12 or elsewhere.
>>
>>152166920
Creepy.

Surprised nighthags/nighttrolls have went this long without "fanart" because depending on your settings they're very prevalent in adventure mode.

Now if only they would capture people for breeding more and capture adventures for it.
>BARFS ETERNALLY

I thought I had an adventurer become a bride of a night troll, when I unretired my adventurer and she was an ex-member of her former civilizations, said she was very aroused as her only emotional statement and was in a permanently insane/enraged state.
>>
>>152164220
>>152168227
I have never seen someone bit by a werebeast fail to turn. Any time it would appear they didn't, it was due to the teeth per se being blocked by clothes and them twisting and thrashing around their prey through the clothes and crushing them with pressure. Just let a werebeast bite an exposed body part and you'll see its 100%.
>>
>>152168538
has to tear skin fat or muscle in order to work
weak bites, even to a exposed body part, can cause only bruises
>>
>>152166920
The one in the bottom right is kinda cute.
>>
>>152168538
I've had lots of bites immediately tear the skin without passing on the curse.
>>
>>152168538
Yeah, that thread was the first time I had seen it disputed at all except by new players grappling with the mechanics. I was in the 100% transmission rate camp in that debate, but anon did show examples of individuals in a hamlet that he bit who didn't turn. There were issues with the testing method that left plenty of room for doubt, though. I'm not certain as I was then, I consider the question to be insufficiently researched. What the test did show pretty-close-to-conclusively, though, is that IF transmission isn't 100%, it's upwards of 90%, and disease resistance didn't have sny noticeable effect on the outcome.
>>
>>152169221
That's what I mean, puncture wounds, not pressure trauma.

>>152169730
A bite can tear open the body, especially in 43.04 and .05, without the teeth going inside. But even in .34.x, a werebeast could tear apart your body completely without their teeth ever directly touching your body; I've had many an adventurer die with pristine, unbroken armor.
>>
>>152170090
I suppose its possible. I don't offhandedly recall what happens if you bite off someone's ear, for example.
>>
Why does my Dorf Fort keep getting random lag spikes?
I noticed it corresponds with big spikes in CPU usage; I think it might have to do with disk access
This is the GNU/Linux version by the way
>>
File: Untitled.png (55KB, 609x565px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
55KB, 609x565px
I was having my miners channel out some land at the edge of the map to level things off, and this one ended up somehow landing himself on an edge tile he couldn't get down from. Seeing as I can't build anything that close to the ledge to give him a way to walk down, is he just fucked?
>>
>Goblin Bard visitor in library status - enraged by all enemies
>>
>>152172171
>there are people in this very thread who unironically think its okay to let goblins hang out in their taverns and correct the record 24/7

Uh hope you have every dwarf's favorite food handy and recorded on a list of micromanaged zones so you can be sure everyone eats their decent meals from now on
>>
>>152172139
Correct me if I'm wrong, but he does have a pick, right?
He could just channel down once right under his own feet or at the ramp behind him, and then dig under the tree and channel up to the next platform to continue his work.

If you're not happy with it, you can always construct a floor over those channels, and construct a ramp if you had to get rid of the one behind him

Alternatively, cancel the channeling, set your woodcutter and miner to do nothing but woodcut and mine, and then have the miner channel an on-ramp to the area on the other side of the tree and have the woodcutter cut the tree down.

I hope to god you have more than one miner and an axe lying around somewhere.
>>
>>152172795
Can't channel the tile he's on because its the map edge tile and you can't do anything to those, and I can't make a floor bridging the gap because you can't build within a certain amount of spaces close to the map's edge. I think I have found a way out though.
>>
>>152171201
Bites that remove parts still pass on the curse. I'm not sure about bites that blunt-force-pulp through armor or clothing, though. I mean, they technically break the skin...
>>
>>152173015
Yeah was just typing down my correction, realizing he's literally on the very edge. (Honestly I never really built/worked that far out on a map before so no idea.)

What's your solution though?
>>
>>152173187
Yeah I think those just plain don't, categorically. I would like to speculate that torn skin bites that don't pass on the curse are torsion wounds, not actual puncture wounds.
>>
>>152172139
You can build bridges on map edge tiles.
>>
Hmm, Grackle man was stuck in air, I had to made several levels of stairs so he could went down and visit tavern.
>>
Someone suggested I raise stats by cutting off a zombie's arms and running back and forth next to it to raise stats but I didn't notice them go up, how long does it take? I ended up punching it to death accidentally before I noticed a change. Also I'm not a vampire or anything, was a fresh human character.
>>
>>152171979
running out of ram?
>>
>>152174605

If you wanna avoid accidentally killing it, use close combat.

>how long does it take?
Seeing stat increases happens after doing it for about 10-20 seconds, can get superhuman str, tou, agi, end, kinesthetic sense, spatial sense, and legendary in a bunch of stuff in well under 10 minutes.

Each time you let it attack you you train shield user, armor user (both of these only if applicable), dodge, fighting, and observation a tiny bit.

Setting speed to minimum helps, and you may as well do stealth mode. You can let it attack you multiple times per keystroke that way as well.

After you've trained up endurance a bit you can go into crawling and minimize that speed as well to train even faster. Training while crawling trains shield more, training while standing trains dodge more. Also, disable moving around to dodge.
>>
>>152174984
Thanks I'll try that.
>>
>>152175252
Remember you'll need lots of armor, probably copper at least in all locations.

If you CUT OFF THEIR HANDS AND FEET AND TEETH BECAUSE THAT IS YOUR FETISH then all they can do is a largely harmless 'push' tho.
>>
>>152175252

Does anything interesting come from building libraries? I'm planning on building an expansive library in the microcline part of my embark but I dunno how I should go about it.
>>
>>152175626
Hah, alright.
>>
>>152175798
Not much effect. Its a way to pass on diagnosis, mechanics, discipline, and record keeper I guess.
>>
File: smug mug.png (259KB, 399x349px) Image search: [Google]
smug mug.png
259KB, 399x349px
>http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=145179.0
How can he even read the replies in the thread?
>>
File: 1470224495078.jpg (36KB, 718x576px) Image search: [Google]
1470224495078.jpg
36KB, 718x576px
>>152176871

Screen reader.
>>
>>152175626
Also how do you target and destroy their teeth? Just punch them in the head or something?
>>
>>152178037
How about just punching them in the teeth? Teeth are targetable, you know.
>>
>wereiguana shows up and about to slaughter miner
>gamer crashes
Will it show up at the same date again?
>>
>>152178131
Oh okay, I hadn't seen them but I'll take a harder look.
>>
>>152178037

Best way is to wrestle their head and pinch their teeth.

You can aim for them with an attack (they're right at the bottom) but in recent versions when you do so you're more likely to just smash their whole head in it seems.
>>
>>152178037
Punch them in the teeth.
Precise attacks are easier, and try to use something with less force so you don't cave in their head. It may take several tries.
>>
>>152178208
>>152178216
>>152178131
Alright thanks again.
>>
File: elves.png (661KB, 872x641px) Image search: [Google]
elves.png
661KB, 872x641px
>it never ends
>>
File: 1456544386605.jpg (23KB, 534x516px) Image search: [Google]
1456544386605.jpg
23KB, 534x516px
>>152178493
>>
>>152178493

Everything about this is wut

>Elf lobby
>Friends of Lava

Its like my dorf temple of the nature goddess

Also, can the need "Wander" be triggered by moving around a fortress or do they have to leave the fortress?
>>
File: 1452164168671.jpg (44KB, 489x479px) Image search: [Google]
1452164168671.jpg
44KB, 489x479px
why does leather armor suck so much dick

>assign LEATHER ARMOR
>everyone puts on leather cloaks
>>
>>152181079
>wearing the flayed skin of dead animals
um
>>
File: 1469686894332.gif (82KB, 269x350px) Image search: [Google]
1469686894332.gif
82KB, 269x350px
>>152181223
I wonder who could be behind this post!
>>
Someone give a challenge that will maximize my fun. Another anon suggested
>no digging
>only using soap for constructions
But i can't get soap unless i dig and if there is no plaster ingredients on the map then i won't be able to make soap for constructions. Not to mention i won't have a workshop since i don't start with soap.
>>
>>152181640
The best part of that gif is that we don't see the screen, and there clearly is no machine that the screen, mouse of keyboard could be plugged into.
And then there's the index finger typing.

This is what true Art is like, the more layers yu peel away, the more there is to find.
>>
>>152182186Start in biome what resurect corpses. But threat bodies, food, and refuse stuff same way you treat it in normal game.
>>
>>152182186
This is just me, but
>You don't b-w by pressing b-C
>You don't have to d-d, if you d-h

That being said, I'm just that kind of cheeky bastard.
>>
>>152182704
What will my challenge be?
>>
File: milk elf.jpg (79KB, 384x498px) Image search: [Google]
milk elf.jpg
79KB, 384x498px
>Urist, Bax said you don't want me in your fortress?
>*cries*
>>
>>152183696
You making as much stuff to be turned undead as its possible instead trying to avoid or minimalise it.

If thats not enough, try to butcher more animals than you need and butcher animals you need alive.
>>
File: Stats.png (85KB, 1117x585px) Image search: [Google]
Stats.png
85KB, 1117x585px
Thanks guys, got it done on second zombie. Does this mean I lost a finger or will I be able to heal this? Not the end of the world if I can still wield two weapons though. Just want to make sure before I go vampire.
>>
>>152184176
hard to say with that atrocious colour scheme/tileset
>>
>>152184315
Yeah, all the colorschemes and tilesets I've seen available are pretty ugly.
>>
So this might be a weird question, but here's what I'm doing:
I've built something of a plumbing system for my Fort (Well, my pre-fort. I like to create a small are that can churn out what I need before constructing a proper, well defensible fortress).

Now my issue, is that for maximum fun, I chose an embark where rivers freeze over during the winter, and as such my plumbing system (which takes water from atop a waterfall and channels it through the fort to its lower end) kind of shuts down for the entirety of winter.

The two solutions that came to mind, is either building floors above the river until the point where my plumbing system diverts part of it, so that it doesn't freeze over (and then doing the same with where it goes out of the map, but I'm fairly certain that's not feasible since it would mean building on the edge (maybe a bridge? Still feels cheatsy.)

Alternatively, I could build a massive water tower that's filled with pumps, and from which the water will continue to supply my fortress, but for that, I need to know roughly how much water I'll need to store, which means I need to know how long the freezing period is going to be each year, and how much water can flow through my plumbing in that time.

Anyone has any idea how I could get those metrics without trial and error?

Now I could just
>>
>>152184850

What are you using the water for?
>>
>>152185041
Filling wells, and automatically dumping refuse out by having the dorfs dump it into a pit which leads to flowing water.

Once the proper fort starts, I'll probably also use some of it to create mist.
>>
>>152185041
>>152185145
Oh, and one idea I have had bouncing around, is a double bridge entrance, where there's a bridge on z1, through which you can enter the fort, and a bridge on z2 or 3, which is blocking an artificial water fall, so if I pull up the bridge (as in both) the waterfall automatically blocks the entrance.
Mostly for aesthetic that one.
>>
>>152185145

I would just abuse water mechanics to stop overflows and block up where the water is exiting the map - assuming I've understood your setup correctly.
>>
>>152183904
Except elf chicks are just as small as the dwarves, and wear face veils and robes.
>>
>>152185809
So, df elven women are arabs?
why doesn't it surprise me?
>>
how do you find "criminal organizations" in adventure mode? They told me they had a town, but I don't think the lord to the town is apart of it, from what I have read on the forums I am told to look in the keep dungeon or a catacomb for the "boss", I checked the keep dungeon but all I found were peasant corpses and guards.... there is no catacomb in this town from what I can tell, just a shrine, a cathedral and a keep.

do I have to fug the lord?
>>
>>152185730
Well the thing is, that I rely on water exiting the map, as the edge is where I'm dumping stuff I don't need.

Basically this is the setup
>Water comes in at map edge
>Before a water fall, I dug a tunnel that diverts some of it underground
>Through an aqueduct a few z-levels bellow the top of the waterall, I lead it to my startup fort (it's a very nice little hill just across from the waterfall), through a tunnel it goes through the hill, above it being most of the stuff that needs water, like well and the pit
>Refuse gets thrown into the flowing water
>water carries it off and out to the lower end of the river which then carries away from my dorfs.

Alternatively, I guess I could try something else, like a pump system that circulates the same water, but I imagine that would lead to the water getting foul sooner or later, and the well would still slowly take most of it out.
>>
>>152186941
pumped water is automatically cleaned and desalinated
>>
>>152186549
Did any of the temples have a basement? That's where the catacombs are.
>>
>>152186941
Water doesn't actually become foul in DF. There is stagnant water that can be found in murky pools, caverns and some temples, but I don't think it's actually dangerous to drink. Adventurers will only drink it when they're dying of thirst, and dorfs will complain about it tasting bad, but I don't think it's actually dangerous.

But, like I said, water doesn't actually become foul, unless it runs into a pool already containing stagnant water. Clean water will be clean forever.
>>
File: 1452419694525.png (49KB, 398x409px) Image search: [Google]
1452419694525.png
49KB, 398x409px
>>152091541

So a few months after this happens a baroness and baroness consort show up.

Not sure what they want because we're still locked in thanks to a web spitting forgotten beast, however another forgotten beast just popped up and killed the web spitter. Apparently this one is more pissed because after demolishing the web spitter it ran to the top level and killed the baroness and consort.

What did they want /dfg/?
>>
>>152188345
If there was message that they where "visiting" , then I'm sure they came to see your tavern or library.
>>
>>152188607

They were diplomats/attend meeting.

My tavern isn't open to filthy outsiders.
>>
I just discovered this game and it is literally the most fun I've had in years.
>>
>>152188984
It's only going to get wilder and more complex, anon
Glad to find new people enjoying the game instead of constantly complaining, you actually made my homour a little better with that
>>
>>152189289
sorry, my mood a little better with that
This is not my mother tongue
>>
>>152186153
>>152185809

They have a pretty full range of human clothes, its randomly generated same as them. Dwarves are also universally considered short, and elves consider them stunted, so its safe to say elves are taller and thinner than dwarves.
>>
>>152189289
The first time I played I ended up trapping my dwarves inside the fort and they started to death.
You just have to learn from mistakes. I don't see what's so bad about that. It certainly doesn't hand you victory.
>>
>>152189657
1/2 Human clothing:

[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_BREASTPLATE:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_MAIL_SHIRT:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_LEATHER:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_COAT:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_SHIRT:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_CLOAK:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_TUNIC:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_TOGA:UNCOMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_CAPE:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_VEST:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_DRESS:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_ROBE:COMMON]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_HELM:COMMON]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_CAP:COMMON]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_HOOD:COMMON]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_TURBAN:UNCOMMON]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_MASK:RARE]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_VEIL_HEAD:UNCOMMON]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_VEIL_FACE:RARE]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_SCARF_HEAD:UNCOMMON]
[GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_GAUNTLETS:COMMON]
[GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_GLOVES:COMMON]
[GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_MITTENS:COMMON]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:COMMON]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS:COMMON]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS_LOW:COMMON]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SANDAL:COMMON]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_CHAUSSE:UNCOMMON]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SOCKS:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_GREAVES:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_LEGGINGS:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_LOINCLOTH:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_THONG:UNCOMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_SKIRT:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_SKIRT_SHORT:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_SKIRT_LONG:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_BRAIES:UNCOMMON]

Almost everything is common, meaning that the "costume" of the humans can be almost anything.
>>
>>152191109
2/2 Elven clothing

[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_BREASTPLATE:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_MAIL_SHIRT:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_COAT:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_SHIRT:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_CLOAK:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_TUNIC:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_TOGA:UNCOMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_CAPE:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_VEST:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_DRESS:COMMON]
[ARMOR:ITEM_ARMOR_ROBE:COMMON]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_HELM:COMMON]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_CAP:COMMON]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_HOOD:COMMON]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_TURBAN:UNCOMMON]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_VEIL_HEAD:UNCOMMON]
[HELM:ITEM_HELM_SCARF_HEAD:UNCOMMON]
[GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_GAUNTLETS:COMMON]
[GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_GLOVES:COMMON]
[GLOVES:ITEM_GLOVES_MITTENS:COMMON]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SHOES:COMMON]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS:COMMON]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_BOOTS_LOW:COMMON]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SANDAL:COMMON]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_CHAUSSE:UNCOMMON]
[SHOES:ITEM_SHOES_SOCKS:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_GREAVES:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_LEGGINGS:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_LOINCLOTH:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_THONG:UNCOMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_SKIRT:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_SKIRT_SHORT:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_SKIRT_LONG:COMMON]
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_BRAIES:UNCOMMON]

Which is almost the same. That's suprising. I always though they wore turbans and robes more often.
>>
File: wheredahoesat.jpg (77KB, 1241x834px) Image search: [Google]
wheredahoesat.jpg
77KB, 1241x834px
>>152187606
I finally found a stairs to the catacombs, I ran into a weapon trap but I evaded it, there are some folks down here a dwarven dancer and an elf wood burner, are they the evil that plagues Kuldahar?
>>
>>152191589
They're not necessarily the ones you're looking for, but they are no doubt criminals. You should talk to one of the members, then return to the town and ask about that particular person. The person you ask will tell you the name of the gang the member belongs to.

Of course, you might as well just ask their boss to become a member.
>>
>>152190269
I was just saying that it's refreshing to listen to some new player being thrilled with the experience of learning to play the game, instead of coming here to ignorantly bash it because, the game is hard/autistic/muh graphics, etc.
I was just greeting him here basically
>>
>>152192041
how do i turn on graphics this game looks stupid LOL xD
>>
>>152192041
That was me, the new guy. I was just explaining why I don't get how you could have a problem with the game not holding your hand. It's a sandbox to play in after all.
It's like complaining that LEGOs don't tell you how to build a robot.
>>
>>152192128
wtf ur right

i can't play this game anymor
>>
>>152192371
Im gonna be completely sincere
I've been reading our posts for a couple of minutes and I don't know what the fuck are you talking about, nor what are you referring from my posts
Really, it's messing with my head, could you please tell me exactly what do you think I said?
Im not even being sarcastic
>>
File: kekels.png (27KB, 1044x597px) Image search: [Google]
kekels.png
27KB, 1044x597px
Daily reminder that Toady knows.
>>
File: 1471041108515.png (29KB, 527x594px) Image search: [Google]
1471041108515.png
29KB, 527x594px
>>152193579
remember the 6 trillion trees
>>
>>152193420
You said it is refreshing to see someone not bashing the game for being hard.

I was just saying that I don't know why people do that because the game isn't hard at all. It's just a sandbox to play in.
>>
File: around elves.png (345KB, 640x399px) Image search: [Google]
around elves.png
345KB, 640x399px
>>152193645
>>
>>152193706
Jesus
It's been a misunderstood, I thought you were refering explicitely to me, it seemed some really strange posts thinking that
>>
>try to test the new elven clubs
>spawn with a fucking featherwood club

FFS I'm just going to mod in reactions to make my own
>>
I was getting in all the creature modding in this game, and i gotta say, I'ts far more complex than I thought
It's like spore, if I could make some alien spit fire
Anyway, I've got some doubts
first:People bleed, they can die from this, so they must have a finite ammount of blood inside them, how is this ammount calculated, and how bleeding out is calculated?
Does the game actually diferentiate between a short cut and a wide one when making the entity loose blood? and so, how?
Also, can you change the replentish rate of blood, this is, how long does it take for a living being to lose the 'pale' tag?
>>
>>152198448
>how is this ammount calculated
body size I believe
>>
>>152199086
If I create a race with long arms but sturdy legs
severing the arms would cause more bleeding than severing the legs, right?
>>
>>152200702
You'd have to go to the forums to figure out how bleeding works exactly.
>>
>guy tells you titans shrine is a days travel
>3 weeks later still nowhere near it
any way to see a zoomed out map of the world after saving?
>>
>>152200921
Asking for directions should put it on your quick travel map.
>>
File: 1463991426416.jpg (62KB, 500x485px) Image search: [Google]
1463991426416.jpg
62KB, 500x485px
>>
>>152142919
Wait what? I looked it up and it's whatever the hell dota is, which doesn't sound anything like quake.

>>152156770
I think that was a hypothesis being worked with, nothing conclusive yet, but yeah, higher disease resistance and such seemed to correlate with the people who I chewed on for days and never turned.
>>
File: 1441371866480.png (205KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1441371866480.png
205KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: Stupid elves.png (31KB, 584x632px) Image search: [Google]
Stupid elves.png
31KB, 584x632px
>looking through old screenshots
>find one from that time I was testing creature modding with dicks and stuff
>made a new adventurer and it ended up in some elf treetops
>no fucking idea how to get down
>queen is next to me
>might as well fuck her up
>pic related
>end up waking up with heavy (but not terminal) injuries next to a dead elf queen
>>
File: 1461686065347.png (20KB, 315x161px) Image search: [Google]
1461686065347.png
20KB, 315x161px
>>
>>152209572
And you people wonder why you gotta watch yourselves.
>>
>>152210560
What do you mean "you people"?
>>
File: thenbats.jpg (86KB, 639x450px) Image search: [Google]
thenbats.jpg
86KB, 639x450px
>>152210738
I had the full retard pic somewhere but eh, earache.
>>
>>152206640
that's fucking amazing
>>
>>152209572
>the elf is impaled on the forgotten beast

I know I couldn't have been the only one to do that
>>
File: 1469992356364.png (150KB, 1468x1060px) Image search: [Google]
1469992356364.png
150KB, 1468x1060px
Remember, do not fall prey to the elven influence. They spew nothing but lies in an attempt to leech off the civilized races.
>>
So as a newbie to dorf fort I'm just starting to experiment with traps, and I know I can't block my Depot but does that mean I can place them anywhere after that? I have a 1x10 tunnel before my first staircase, is that a good place to put the traps?
>>
>>152212801
You probably want at least a 3 wide tunnel eventually so the wagon can get through and so pathfinding doesn't lag you up.
>>
>>152212801
The common practice I've heard is to have two entrances to your fort.
One that is free of traps and connects to the depot with a drawbridge that can be raised to seal the access point during a siege.
Another full of traps and defenses that always remains open so niggas funnel into it
>>
>>152213019
>>152212956
Well thanks for the advice guys but it would appear my entire fort has just been mangled by a werepanther
>>
>>152213474
did he kill everyone or did a few survive?
>>
>>152212956
you only really want to trap off any entrances to the fort, a few layers of weapon traps filled with axes and corkscrews will mince anything non trapavoid trying to get through
>>
>>152213570
A couple have survived, actually. Looks like they managed to beat him to death
>>
either I'm extremely un/lucky or these elves have got battered wife syndrome. I've literally been killing every caravan and diplomat they send my way and still no sieges. What am I doing wrong?
>>
>>152213647
>weapon traps filled with axes and corkscrews
Are these objectively the best weapon trap components? I've been filling mine with menacing spikes and serrated discs.
>>
>>152213672
>>
>>152213853
Think I don't know what's going to happen? I'd be lying if I said I wasn't kinda excited
>>
>>152213709
clear cut the entire map, offer the caravan wood, then kill a few merchants and let the others leave

letting a merchant leave alive seems to be more effective than killing them all
>>
>>152213787
i have no idea desu, im sure someones done the science on it

i just like the idea of a goblin being twisted around by a giant corkscrew and them being hacked in two
>>
>>152213787
I would say axes and serrated discs are a good choice due to having good chances of bisection.
>>
>>152044027

Does generating older worlds give a higher chance of your dorfs being able to dance?

My past, like, 6 fortress's haven't had a single dance performance. just a shitload of storytelling, poetry, and occasionally stationary music.
>>
There's a god who freed a demon and created an angel vault called Ocda Framedbees the Lardy Candy, a god of blight, children, death, disease, deformity and family.
>>
>>152206640
I'm not sure I can keep up with these mind games
>>
>can read title of book
>cant read whats in the book

i found a bunch of books and scrolls randomly in the wilderness, some made from forgotten beast leather parchment, too bad my guy is a retard
>>
wait what?

dwarfs can milk pigs?
>>
>>152218642
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Milk
>>
File: tYvkh9S.gif (978KB, 500x256px) Image search: [Google]
tYvkh9S.gif
978KB, 500x256px
>>152218642
>>
>>152218695
and here I was wondering if that's a bug

looking at
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Domestic_animal
pigs seem a bit weird. why do they give less edibles than say sheep?
>>
>the muscular kiwi cock roots around in the dense hair grass
heh
>>
>>152218847
Actually, pig give more fat and meat than sheep, but we're talking about dorfs here. They consider a lot of things edible.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Sheep
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Pig
Still, based on these it appears someone added up the numbers wrong on the table you linked.
>>
File: 1456037277140.png (89KB, 268x265px) Image search: [Google]
1456037277140.png
89KB, 268x265px
>still can't commit sudoku in adventure mode with your weapon
>>
>>152219441
Try throwing it straight up and getting it to land on you?
>>
File: CrazyDance.gif (2MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
CrazyDance.gif
2MB, 960x540px
>>152215341
They usually have dance forms but dancers aren't as common a performance sadly.
>>
>>152219645
looks like my guy is just chucking it on the ground at his feet.
I guess I'll just have to keep wandering and hope the bogeymen open a wound so my blood will taint the river
>>
File: CystVolcanoOfDay.png (32KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CystVolcanoOfDay.png
32KB, 1920x1080px
>>152219996
Throw your weapon at something and then lay down and let it kill you.

Better yet: jump off a mountain after reaching the peak.
>>
>>152220202
My spine is all fucked so I can't climb or jump, but I'll see about tossing the knife at a wall
>tfw tried walking off a high waterfall but my armor just deflected all force of the landing
>>
>>152220321
Shit I think the river ate my weapon
>>
>>152219996
Wait, so you're actually targeting tiles on z-levels above you and then just throwing the weapon at the ground? If so, that's definitely a bug.
>>
>>152220509
yeah that's what it looks like.
I'm engaging some fish in fisticuffs as I float down this river in a chasm hoping they can kill me.
>>
>see some sponge men while floating down the river of blood
>rip arms and legs off of sponge man
>neat he isn't dead
>try to see if they live without a lower body
>guy dies
>rips arms and legs off of his buddy who didn't seem to care
>neither of them tried to stop me or anything
>tries to roll away
>crawl up to him
>grab him by the head
>Now that I have an audience, proceed to tell him the story of when I took my best friend up into these very mountains before killing her
>ends up drowning halfway through the tale of woe while pushing against me
>>
File: xBsWjAu.jpg (15KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
xBsWjAu.jpg
15KB, 400x300px
>Spend 2 hours generating the most perfect planet from perfect world with every mineral on every square biome
>when I get to the point that I want to stop at the most prestine year in history, 420, it crashes
>no fucking crashlog
>no reason why
>just "dwarffortress.exe has stopped working" right as the world save was finishing up on its last numbers

FUCK EVERYTHING I just want a nice medium size world with 4000 volcanoes. WHY do the default worldgen settings have to be so unfitting for my taste?

WHY ISNT DFHACK OUT YET FOR THE MOST RECENT VERSION OF THE GAME SO I CAN EASILY FIND FUCKING IRON AT THE MOST PERFECT RIVER CROSSROADS

WHY MUST I SUFFER

WHY ISNT THERAPIST OUT YET

WHY ISNT DFHACK YET

THEY GIVE NO REASON ON WHY THEY TAKE SO LONG TO UPDATE, I UNDERSTAND THAT ITS A NEW 64 BIT FUCKER THAT THEY HAVE TO RECODE, BUT THERE HAS TO BE SOME PATERNS THEY RECOGNIZE TO SPEED THINGS UP FROM THE 32BIT GAME

I JUST WANT TO HAVE THE MOST PERFECT GAME. FUCK!!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l59cg62wqpY
>>
>>152206560
It's a joke on the genre name. MOBA really means "Dota-like" since that's the first game that inspired a shit ton of other (well Aeon of Strife was first, but it didn't have all the features although was similar)

But League of Legends wanted to distance itself from DOTA, so they invented a genre term: MOBA which stands for multiplayer online battle arena. And that could describe Quake as well, because it's vague as fuck.
>>
File: 1411323955103.jpg (21KB, 240x300px) Image search: [Google]
1411323955103.jpg
21KB, 240x300px
>mfw I finally suffocated in that river of blood after ripping a bloody path through all sorts of bitch fish
>a hippo had enough of my shit and just bashed my neck in
>>
>>152222254
is metal frequency used as the mineral seed?
I somehow ended up with 100,000+ units garnierite and pretty much nothing else
>>
>Have a mining site designated
>Have a lot of things that need stockpiling, still some junk from the caravan left right outside where it was
>A huge list on the Still of shit that needs to be made
>Dozens of plants that need gathering
>10 Idlers
How do get people to do things? Can't anyone do anything, just not as good as someone skilled?
>>
>>152223553
You have to select people in v then p->l and enable the labors you want them to do.
>>
>>152223553
if you hit j you can see the queued jobs of your dwarfs
>>
Has anyone ever experienced anything that could be considered lewd in DF?
>>
>>152224323
>rip off thong
>lick it
>>
File: Lewd.png (92KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Lewd.png
92KB, 1920x1080px
>>152224323
>>
>>152222254
I feel your pain brother.
>Why can't I just find a nice cozy spot between a forest and a volcano that has a massive waterfall behind which I can build my entrance with an exquisite volcano powered mega death trap of an opening hall, bellow which is an endless trove of minerals, with at least one neighbour of each race so once I've completed the ultimate mountain home, I can let it be fun'd to oblivion (preferably by a dragon), wait a few decades/centuries and then mount the single most glorious mission to reclaim it?
>Why aren't there fucking hobbits so I can hire one to burgle me in there?
>>
>>152224039
I gave half of the idlers the ability to mine and they still won't do it.
>>152224243
Mining does not appear on the jobs at all.
>>
>>152108902
>Just like in the actual Mothra movies.
>>
>>152112438
>while fighting above a magma vent
THATS METAL AS FUCK
>a head(with no body) is doing more than you ever will
>>
>>152224980
Man, that's a nice wall
>>
>>152225360
Did you designate an area they can actually reach? They can't teleport through walls or anything.
>>
So I may or may not be training my adventurer on a cripple in town. He's been sleeping this whole time and his eyes and ears are kaput, so do I have to kill him to prevent the town from knowing my horrible deeds, or can I just leave him be?
>>
>>152227783
I designated a piece right on the surface and another in the middle of a shaft they dug out.
>>
File: 1446984099784.jpg (78KB, 607x609px) Image search: [Google]
1446984099784.jpg
78KB, 607x609px
>>152227960
Fuck. He woke up and bled out while I was neutralizing his kicking ability.
How the fuck did I forget about kicking
>>
File: LewdAgain.png (37KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LewdAgain.png
37KB, 1920x1080px
>>152227493
Hey, her eyes are up... uh...
>>
>>152229010
huge chest ahead
>>
File: 1390894741070.jpg (14KB, 343x345px) Image search: [Google]
1390894741070.jpg
14KB, 343x345px
>tfw I just now bothered to look at the guide link in the OP
Holy shit, how have I been getting along just on the wiki?
>>
>>152228179
Are they holding picks?
>>
Is it normal to just find a giant alligator just chillin in the center of a human town?
>tfw it "ambushed" me and then tried to run as I hacked at it
>>
>>152231724
No, in worlds with a rich history, the towns are often crammed with named giant alligators/alligator people. It's probably because they live in the same biome as humans, and because so many of them kill humans during worldgen.

Whenever an animal kills a human, it becomes a hist fig and can ambush adventurers on the map.
>>
Will sites expand and grow from hamlets to towns and such in adventure mode? It'd take awhile but would it even happen?
>>
>>152231890
neat
>>
>>152232002
Not sure, but if you check the history of a town, you'll see that it started out with a mead hall, not akeep. After a few years, the mead hall is replaced by the keep.
>>
File: neat.png (282KB, 479x401px) Image search: [Google]
neat.png
282KB, 479x401px
>>152229010
>>
>>152224323
I modded the spit function to produce milk and had it come from the breasts so I go around squirting people with my lactation.
>>
>>152232662
That's enough internet for me, g'night.
>>
File: Magical_realm.png (17KB, 201x240px) Image search: [Google]
Magical_realm.png
17KB, 201x240px
>>152233202
>>
>>152234353
>magic update may allow for piss wizards to exist
>>
>>152234565
>may
>implying there's any doubt
>>
>>152231050
Yes, my miners are holding picks.
>>
>>152234682
Did toady ever reveal if we will be able to have wizards in our fort?
>>
>>152234856
I suspect that the wizards, all the new features aside, will work very much like the necros. We can have necros, because of the books, so it'd make sense to have wizards, too.
>>
>>152223553
Is the mining designation active and not just a marker? Is it "mining" or "carve ramp" or "dig channel" and are you certain that it's the right one in the right place(s)? Are the plants marked properly or is the plant gathering zone active and using the right settings? Are there any locked doors or floodgates or hatch covers or caveins or drawbridges or floods blocking access? Are burrow settings allowing your idle dwarves access to where they need to be to do jobs? Is your still's profile restricted in any way? Are your idlers new migrants who are still on new arrival status? Are your idlers actually completely idle or are they socializing/worshiping/whatever? Are you sure they've got the relevant labors enabled and any necessary items on hand? And finally, are you sure that the game isn't paused?

That's everything I can think of right now.
>>
>>152235274
Hmm, I should have formatted that better.
>>
File: 1467325790124.jpg (40KB, 469x478px) Image search: [Google]
1467325790124.jpg
40KB, 469x478px
>beating a crime boss to death
>broke his wrists instantly so he can't effectively fight back
>nigger's in armor and my shit keeps bouncing
>just wrestle and gouge his eyes for easy bleeding
>bounce another attack off his armor
>boss starts talking about how satisfying it is to improve his fighting
>>
Can I make an adventurer, and replace the current gobbo puppet king of my civ?
>>
>>152236881
No. Adventurers can't be kings and shiet.

You CAN kill the king and hope that a non-gobbo takes the throne after him. To be extra sure, you can also kill any family members of the gobbo you can find.

Memes aside though, there isn't really anything to be won. The king, goblin or not, is already a full fledged member of your civ, and will lead it just as well as any other race would.
>>
Now I get that they're undead, but shouldn't this undead ogre fall on the ground since both of his legs are fractured?
This is my first time fighting a zombie and it's suffering with a 2 handed sword and I'm not yet pro enough to decapitate it I guess
>>
File: DF_Hostility_slider.jpg (194KB, 976x520px) Image search: [Google]
DF_Hostility_slider.jpg
194KB, 976x520px
>>152234682
>>152234565
It's safe to assume that Toady has even weirder things planned for the future, seeing his interviews
>>
>>152239323
>learn magic that turns elf caravans into worm people before transporting them into another dimension inside a world-intestine with the ever looming threat of being snatched up by spirits to be drowned in a lake of bile
I'm hyped as fuck
>>
>go to kobold camp in an evil biome
>undead ravens already killed half the kobolds
Why are kobolds such shitters?
>>
File: 1445105174671.jpg (42KB, 571x556px) Image search: [Google]
1445105174671.jpg
42KB, 571x556px
>>152240046
kobolds are not for kills
>>
>>152240462
I stealth through all their camps choppin heads
They don't see it coming
they don't even notice when their buddy's head flies into view
I usually let the last survivor see me because why not
Of course he ends up in the most pieces since he runs and makes me chase him

I never even find any treasure I want at their camps
>>
File: 'bold outlook.png (51KB, 262x244px) Image search: [Google]
'bold outlook.png
51KB, 262x244px
>>152240772
DELET DIS
>>
File: 1441285124801.png (83KB, 640x300px) Image search: [Google]
1441285124801.png
83KB, 640x300px
>>152241301
>>
File: great start.png (5KB, 721x17px) Image search: [Google]
great start.png
5KB, 721x17px
Does mostly everyone play on the latest version, or do the older versions of DF still stack up and are worth trying out if all I know is 0.43?
>>
>>152241301
blutargiiis?
>>152242289
usually, only nostalgics and people that can't live without the rapist or dfhack play outdated versions
>>
>>152239840
please /dfg/ I'm in need of magic tales
Tell me your only wildest dreams you expect to come from the magic update
>>
File: perfect.jpg (797KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
perfect.jpg
797KB, 1920x1080px
you jelly /dfg/?
>>
File: 1470100411911.png (88KB, 253x224px) Image search: [Google]
1470100411911.png
88KB, 253x224px
>Companion starts bitching about some shadow creature in the neighborhood
>why not, it's close by
>we got this shit
>after all we've killed all sorts of night creatures already
>kick in door
>oh boy it has tusks
>he kept snatching at my bitches
>hacked both it's arms off so it would cut that shit out
>before it bled to death it managed to gore the shit out of my companions, crippling and nearly killing both of them.
>I came out fine with only 3 bruises and laying in a pool of my companion's vomit and everyone's blood
>still in the heart of the evil lands with zombies everywhere
wew
>>
>>152242646
Oh fuck there was a second one in the cave
>>
File: ree.png (70KB, 222x171px) Image search: [Google]
ree.png
70KB, 222x171px
>>152242561
>multilevel view
>shitty tileset
>showing amounts instead the water/magma tile
>>
>>152242779
>STOP LIKEING WHAT I DONT LIKE!!!
>>
>>152242829
>People being mean on the internet? Just post "stop liking hat I don't like", and will instantly win any internet argument!
nice
>>
>>152242916
god you're such a cock.
>>
File: 1470877845262.jpg (46KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1470877845262.jpg
46KB, 800x800px
>>152242706
Alright, the second wasn't that bad. Now the question is whether or not I should cart my dead companion's body back to town to be placed in the tomb or leave it in this frozen hellscape after my ankle heals up.

What do you guys usually do with your dead companions?
>>
>>152243380
Grab their shit and scoot outta there. If I have the carrying capacity I might lob their lifeless body at the next enemy I see.
>>
File: meat-cooking[1].gif (100KB, 450x299px) Image search: [Google]
meat-cooking[1].gif
100KB, 450x299px
>>152243380
>>
>>152243565
It should be noted I'm a human
Last time I tried to eat humans it wouldn't let me.

>>152243539
>Grab their shit
it was all shitty beforehand and now it's a bunch of broken shit after all the goring she took.
>>
>>152243380
IIRC, the new adventurer camps allow you to build and construct caskets. You can legitly bury your companions.
>>
>>152244672
Oh that's neat. I was planning on settling down somewhere after fucking some shit up so for now I guess I'll toss her in the local town's tomb. As long as nobody wakes up the mummy everything will be fine.
I'm still annoyed we only get the carpentry workbench
>>
>>152244907
We should at least get mason and crafter workshops.

It'd be pretty cool if we could use 'g' to turn boulders into usable rock nodules, similar to how felling trees work.

This was actually how many peasants got their rock in preindustriel times(especially in areas where you couldn't reach the bedrock); the stonemasons would cut their blocks directly out of erratic boulders.
>>
>>152245282
>preindustriel
pre-industrial*
>>
>>152242534
easy
Higly complex-escalable rituals
there are few things more amazing than making a pentagram with red dust that takes kilometres for each side to complete, only to sacrifice every living creature inside of it to a powerful god, and hope his gift is cool

On other notes, can I mod a creature that delivers different venoms with each atack?
You know, a normal human that can make you sleep if he stabs you his index finger's nail, and make you wake up with another one
>>
>>152245430
Hey I've seen Full Metal Alchemist too
>>
>>152245730
Never really passed from the first episodes of it, so I didn't know that happened in the anime
But hey, it's cool as fuck anyway
>>
>>152245809
To be honest I was lying to you
I've only read the manga
>>
File: ReallyUnsafe.png (69KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ReallyUnsafe.png
69KB, 1920x1080px
>>152242779
Amounts is the correct view, multilevel is nice if you have it, Phoebus isn't my taste but hey if they like it whatevs.

It's not a bad site, I like when my volcano tubes are fully drained though.
>>
>>152245282
>>152244907
I was rather disappointed to find that I can't play as an outsider pulling myself up by my bootstraps out of naked savagery, since there's still no way to make clothes or armor from my kills, just bone jewelry. It's not even possible to make leather, much less anything out of it, even after establishing a site.
>>
>Vampire strolls into town as an asterisk
>start dismembering it in the streets
>it yields, but it's a filthy night creature so the dismembering continues
>poke at it to finish it off
>dies
>only a few blood spatters on me and him
>city streets are pristine, no blood anywhere
>nothing I can put in a mug and save for later if I decide to become a vampire
Alright then
>>
>>152245907
No problem
Would you like to see FMA's alchemy system implemented in Dwarf Fortress?
>>
>>152246116
Need mods for that, sadly.
>>
File: 1441225232908.jpg (385KB, 1246x741px) Image search: [Google]
1441225232908.jpg
385KB, 1246x741px
>>152247026
That's like runes and shit with equal input/output right? yeah I could get behind that. It would make shit like pic related even more common than I'm sure it is in an effort to get all the magics for transmuting the elf kingdoms into a magma sea.
If I'm completely wrong or over generalizing their system, it's because I've only seen 1 or 2 episodes
>>
File: Fuck this game.png (7KB, 1262x139px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck this game.png
7KB, 1262x139px
>yet another fucking asshole gets possessed
>oh well his highest moodable skill is armorer maybe he'll make something interesting
>this happens
I fucking hate this game
>>
>>152247536
I mean, you still have the best armor in the game in terms of quality and materials
If you are so bothered for your unprotected thighs, wear some graves on top of it and relax
>>152247309
mmm, I think it doesn't quite work like that
It's more like:
this metal is worth x, and your sword is worth half x
then You can transmutate the metal in two swords
>>
File: OrdersAreOrders.png (31KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
OrdersAreOrders.png
31KB, 1920x1080px
>>
File: curses games.png (182KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
curses games.png
182KB, 1366x768px
>>152145716
I googled that, then through a few links I was led here, and some of these actually look really cool.
>blood cave of satan
>kosovo carnage
>corins mystery massacre
well at least we know that df isn't the first insanely violent game toady's created.
>>
>>152252345
Dude, have you seen the subgames?

>http://www.bay12games.com/subgames/

They're pretty fun. "I'm Voting For Myself!" and "Fuck You" both have full voice overs by the Toad himself.
>>
File: OhShitDawg.png (56KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
OhShitDawg.png
56KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>152255327
>when he's wearing a skirt, he's a girl
>>
>>152254481
thanks man - and there I was thinking I'd played them all after kobold cave and liberal crime squad! personally I didn't realise he'd done so much. I am definitely diving into these subgames. funny how he doens't link them from his main page though..
>>
>>152256956
It's likely because he's extremely ashamed of them. With all the medial attention that DF has recieved lately, he probably wants to keep his reputation as clean as possible. It's understandable that he doesn't want DF to be associated with a game where you play as a christian mother trying to keep her son from fapping(everytime he does, a kitten dies. when all the kittens are dead, it's game over) or a game where Toady screams "cocksucker!" and "cunt!".
>>
Is using a Starter Pack Launcher or the things it comes with cause crashes like a motherfucker, or does the game randomly crash on entering menu inputs all the time?

Also, is there a way to save without going back to the main menu? Ever since I started crashing often I made it a habit of mine to frequently save, but it's a little bothersome.
>>
>>152258426
Are you using a tileset?
>>
>>152258861
Yes, I am. That's the problem, I guess? And since I don't see my other saves when I try loading a game, I presume I can't continue the same save without that tileset?
>>
>>152259173
If you are using LNP you can set it to autosave every season, giving it a higher priority might also fix the problem.
>>
File: stumpy wumples.png (169KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
stumpy wumples.png
169KB, 1366x768px
>>152257564
actually yeah, after a few of these I can see why...
>>
File: GrownBronzeFlask.png (16KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GrownBronzeFlask.png
16KB, 1920x1080px
>>152255478
He is now, also... how?
>>
>>152259173
>That's the problem, I guess?
No it isn't. Anyone who tells you tilesets cause crashes is an idiot whose opinion can be safely disregarded. Vanilla is a tileset.

If you're using LNP, start by setting your print mode to anything other than TWBT. Standard or 2d are the usual choices.

If you continue experiencing crashes, either disable options in dfhack until they stop, or disable dfhack entirely.

If you continue experiencing crashes after that, your crash is one of the dozens of unresolved vanilla crashes, and you should make a bug report.
>>
ok, /dfg/, I have an idea for a 'fun' play of df.
>split dwarves into teams
>overground
dorfs live like humans, cut down trees etc. overground farms.
>dirt
lives under the surface, but can't mine stone.
Probably the 'peasant' class due to lack of stone and wood, so they'll have to rely on what the team makes at the very start. They'll have food though, due to broken underground farming on dirt.
>shallow stone
dwarves can live from where the stone layers start to just above the first cavern, they'll probably be the best militia-wise due to weapons grade shallow metals. If there's no coal or lignite though, they're probably fucked.
>deep stone
live from the bottom of the last cavern downwards. magma sea and all will mean a thriving metals industry (precious metals anyway) and hopefully quite a lot of wealth created.

Anyway I plan on assigning the 7 dwarves to the 4 teams (i.e. 3 teams of 2 dwarves, 1 team of 1 dwarf). They work together until the very first migrant arrives. This migrant is assigned to the team of 1 dwarf, then the dwarves are burrowed away from each other and have to survive by themselves.

How does this sound /dfg/? I'm still thinking about the logistics of getting started, so I'm open to suggestions if you have any.
>>
>>152264469
Burrows will probably not be enough. You should plan out an airlock system with a migrant sorting facility.
>>
>>152265407
ok, I reckon I'll give it a go. If I'm honest I'm really keen to see how the overground militia fares against gobbos. They'll probably only have wooden shields and training weapons, so this should be fun...
>>
>trying to find any sort of metal so I can make weapons
>WEREMONITOR APPEARED, NOW YOU WILL KNOW WHY YOU FEAR THE NIGHT
>shit, I have no one that can do anything
>Wait, I have my miners and their picks! Those would be great for digging into someone's skull!
>I'll throw them in a squad and-
>They left behind their picks to join the ten dwarves punching the werebeast to death
WHY
>>
File: DemFeelsUrist.jpg (130KB, 779x634px) Image search: [Google]
DemFeelsUrist.jpg
130KB, 779x634px
>>152269020
>>
File: weremonitor.jpg (235KB, 900x1117px) Image search: [Google]
weremonitor.jpg
235KB, 900x1117px
>>152269020
>weremonitor
>>
>>152270995
Did you have that handy, or make it just now, cause either is impressive.
>>
File: anki.png (407KB, 599x359px) Image search: [Google]
anki.png
407KB, 599x359px
>>152270995
Monitor? Where?
>>
>>152271838
actually neither - I wondered if it was a typo, so I googled 'weremonitor' and found that...
>>
File: weremonitor.png (34KB, 796x568px) Image search: [Google]
weremonitor.png
34KB, 796x568px
>>152270995
>>152272784
Yup. It was totally a weremonitor. Pic related, shit got bloody.
>>
>>152272784
Also, you got to appreciate how it has Boatmurdered on the screen.
>>
>>152272883
>>152270995
>>152269020
>Now the people who fought them are turning into werebeasts
kill me
>>
>>152222254
>WHY do the default worldgen settings have to be so unfitting for my taste?

Because you're too entitled to change them yourself and force the game to guess them for you.

The wiki at least claims 43.05 is backwards compatible, so gen a world in 43.03 and port it over.
>>
>>152237836
>>152236881
Adventurers can definitely become elven quangs and princezzes an sheeit, dorfen kings, etc.
There does not appear to be a way to join an elven or goblin civ you're not already a part of, so becoming the overlord of the goblins as a nongoblin is rare.
If there is no inheritable person to take over, then the highest social skills person in the civ takes over.
Just take two adventurers into your party on a very leisurely stroll, or bring them to a dorfen tavern while you do other projects in fort mode, and they will get their social skills super high, no doubt.

>>152238071
No_connections_for_movement. Its to ensure that not all reanimated corpses are cripples. Only the effective body part is necessary; so you need to break his foot, even if his leg is cut open.

If it feels odd, just think of skeletons, and how they move without meat.
>>
>>152246621
>causes a vampire severe bleeding
>doesn't bother to interact with waterskin to fill it
>>
File: create your own universe.jpg (80KB, 300x755px) Image search: [Google]
create your own universe.jpg
80KB, 300x755px
>>152242534
>literally carry around pocket world (17x17) in your back bag
>get chased by goblin army
>summon FB out of pocket world
>get chased by goblin army and FB
>>
>>152269020
We try to tell people all the time about how job-weapons and military-weapons cause conflicts.
If an item is designated for a job, it will not be designated for work, and vice versa.
So next time, disable mining so they drop the pick, and then select it as their weapon for military.
>>
File: STOP ENJOYING THINGS.png (15KB, 182x151px) Image search: [Google]
STOP ENJOYING THINGS.png
15KB, 182x151px
>>152242916
>>
File: that's nine werebeasts.jpg (742KB, 1131x1210px) Image search: [Google]
that's nine werebeasts.jpg
742KB, 1131x1210px
>>152274240
A glimpse of the shit that went down before it gets all cleaned up, and someone's reaction to the whole thing. Oh, she's also in a Fey Mood, so I wonder what she'll make in memory of all this.
>>
>>152276806
Oh, I miscounted. That's twelve werebeasts, actually. All punched to death, or beaten with training axes, or shot by the occasional hunter who decided he needed to help.
>>
>>152276493
>waah, stop exercising your free speech, or I'll get offended!
grow up
>>
Weapon mod faggot here again, still just playing.
Had my first Elven ambush. Well, I say ambush, but it involved far more troops than the goblin siege that preceded it.
Turns out they're really damn dangerous. They arrived with war grizzlies and a bunch of atlatl-armed horse skirmishers.
My militia lacks full armor, so many of the less experienced, less well equipped troops suffered broken bones from the atlatl darts, and the marksdwarves for some reason suffered a number of KIA while everyone else got away with (sometimes horrific) injuries.

Many hippies died that day however, yet I am sad to say that some managed to flee the battlefield. May they return soon so we can finish the job.
>>
File: Maceman.jpg (310KB, 2674x1189px) Image search: [Google]
Maceman.jpg
310KB, 2674x1189px
>>
>>152276806
Now the whole place is going to shit, people are fighting each other for no reason I can tell, this Macedwarf just started mauling this kid and is losing, I don't know what's going on anymore.
>>
File: no fun.jpg (71KB, 448x473px) Image search: [Google]
no fun.jpg
71KB, 448x473px
>>152277403
>>
>>152277492
Sounds pretty cool. It'll be cool when mounts are in the game normally.
>>
>>152277492
So the atl atl guys were deadlier than the clubbers?
>>
>>152279348
>maybe if I post some more snarky pictures, no one will notice that I have no answer against his arguments
>>
its depressing how the modfaggots and tile users have been shitting up this board with their non stop attention whoring
>>
File: meph visits lebanon.png (1MB, 1750x750px) Image search: [Google]
meph visits lebanon.png
1MB, 1750x750px
new thred plox
>>
File: toad.jpg (357KB, 1665x982px) Image search: [Google]
toad.jpg
357KB, 1665x982px
This might be a noob question.
But how do I examine things when looking around with "K"?

It seems Enter works with some things, but when I try examining this toad for example none of the hotkeys work. Do I have to select it further somehow?
>>
>>152281418
Vermin, plants, floors and walls can't be examined.

Furniture can be examined, but you have to do it with 't' instead of 'k'.
>>
>>152281702
Okay, that's good to know. Thanks.
>>
Do dwarves pick up garbage/litter automatically, or do I have to do a command for that? It's getting in the way of a lot of constructions.
>>
>>152284072
Depends on what it is that's in the way. Dwarves will move things in the way of constructions, like workshops or bridges. If the item is forbidden or otherwise somehow unmovable, they suspend the job because of an item blocking the site.

If it's some vermin remains that's not outside and not forbidden and you have a refuse stockpile that isn't full, a dwarf with the refuse hauling labor enabled should come along eventually and pick it up and throw it in the refuse stockpile. Same with corpses and corpse stockpiles.

If you want to move shit you don't care about you can mark the item for dumping and designate an activity zone for garbage dumping. Dwarves with refuse hauling will move items marked for dumping to the garbage dump zone, then drop the item there and said item will be forbidden.
>>
>>152280164
There were rather few clubbers.
The atlatl guys mainly caused a lot of casualties because they could ride away from my dwarves while tossing darts like a bunch of cowardly Parthians. The clubbers got swarmed and cut down.
>>
>>152284934
Would a large multitude of items, say, everything a dwarf had when they died, maybe two different stacks of that, throw the message at me? I'm trying to recover from losing half my population but it isn't easy when everyone's junk is everywhere.
Thread posts: 767
Thread images: 150

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.