[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/dfg/ - Dwarf Fortress General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 755
Thread images: 234

File: FUCKING ELVES.png (234KB, 444x604px) Image search: [Google]
FUCKING ELVES.png
234KB, 444x604px
"Why argue when there are elves to exterminate" edition

Previous thread: >>121626446

>Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.40.24:
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
https://boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf%20Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
http://pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
http://en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: https://webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
http://imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
http://members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
http://pastebin.com/iAduXzjn (embed)

Strike the earth!
>>
File: curses_racial.png (8KB, 288x240px) Image search: [Google]
curses_racial.png
8KB, 288x240px
Remembered that at the larger size of this I can trim a bit more away and have it look right so I could have the hollow faces alternated with the solid military faces.
>>
Is the starter pack still bork for Adventure Mode?
>>
>>121978294
Do you mean to ask if the starter pack works for adventure mode? Sure it does. Why wouldn't it?
>>
>>121978378
Probably talking about twbt being broken and just linking it with the starter pack since it is probably enabled by default.
>>
File: fancybeard.jpg (37KB, 552x367px) Image search: [Google]
fancybeard.jpg
37KB, 552x367px
>>121978574
I want multi level view! It's not fair!
>>
>>121978821
shh no tears, only crashes
>>
>>121977801
>copying the op and not the pasta
Plz go
>>
File: 3-003.png (26KB, 480x320px) Image search: [Google]
3-003.png
26KB, 480x320px
1st for magma wells when
lali
>>
File: Interrupted.jpg (33KB, 300x335px) Image search: [Google]
Interrupted.jpg
33KB, 300x335px
>>121979204
We already have plenty of dumb memes that directly relate to the game, please don't try to force any.
>>
File: curses_squareshade.png (44KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
curses_squareshade.png
44KB, 512x512px
>>121978821
Eh, I love twbt and such but the adventurer (more specifically travel map entry) mode crashes were too much for me to ignore. Saving every few minutes just got really annoying.

Though, that is why I started fucking around with tilesets and rescaling, so, that worked out well I guess.

Hmmm, that's a bummer. Trying to scale this down to square didn't work as well, guess I'll have to redraw the shading on the 16x16 after I double it tomorrow.
>>
>>121979204
>trying to foce memes in slow threads with less than 100 posters
at least try it with something funny
>>
File: giphy.gif (925KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
925KB, 500x281px
>>121979204
>>
File: How about a n ice cold one.png (48KB, 1600x1010px) Image search: [Google]
How about a n ice cold one.png
48KB, 1600x1010px
>>121979385
>something funny

Woah there mister, lets not get prone to great ambition here, I don't want to be excluded from the community because of an absurd expectation for my attempts at humour to be funny.
>>
>>121979385
Let me know when you think of something better.
>>
>>121979441
Jesus I'm a dumbass, just noticed I was working on the V instead of the U for the base of the humans, no clue how I copied the V over and didn't notice it.
>>
its impossible for anybody to be cool on 4chan. everybody is so busy tearing down every one else, that nothing can grow.
>>
File: Strafakrayldus master theif.png (63KB, 1600x1010px) Image search: [Google]
Strafakrayldus master theif.png
63KB, 1600x1010px
>>121979515
>something better than a forced reference to an unrelated game you happen to like

Perhaps we could raise the bar a little higher than that?

Like this cunning little kobold who found a foolproof way to steal crossbow-bolts from my fortress!
>>
to be fair, there is a lot of legit stupid behavior on this forum. People here are so ignorant that its not worth the effort to come up with a snappy comeback, it goes right over their heads.
>>
>>121979731
Still upset that someone asked you to substantiate your claims, Urist?
>>
>>121979681
what, by getting shot with them? thats a little obtuse
>>
Whats a good anime to watch while Dorforting
>>
File: haters.jpg (17KB, 385x277px) Image search: [Google]
haters.jpg
17KB, 385x277px
>>121979807
>>
>>121979835
Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Wait, what do you want from your anime?
>>
Are we getting invaded or did everyone decide to shitpost at the same time?
>>
File: curses_racial.png (8KB, 288x240px) Image search: [Google]
curses_racial.png
8KB, 288x240px
>>121979918
>tits and ass and lots of chicks making out
Valkyrie Drive: Mermaid

>Lighthearted humor and nostalgia with outerspace combat and yelling
Dragonball Super

>I have no fucking idea what is going on and I've been watching for years
Durarara

>The best shit ever, literally ever, yes, better than whatever you're thinking of, no, seriously
One Punch Man

>>121979568
Easier fix than I thought.
>>
>>121979918
Considering Dwarf Fort is about Dwarves doing Dwarf things, something similar
>>
File: 1236469526062.jpg (98KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
1236469526062.jpg
98KB, 750x600px
>>121979602
Yeah, but we're different, this general can trace it's lineage all the way back to /v/ before the Generals attacked, and we weathered their bullshit just fine.

We actually LIKE having new players about, it's not like the other generals where they're always on the hunt for people who don't know as much as them so they can tear them apart for their ignorance. We might squabble a bit over details more than we need to, but I think even that is driven by a desire to present accurate information for our lurkers. (Hi there!)

We nurture our artists, share shitty artifacts, discuss why comics are bad without trying to apply the B^U rule, argue over the prettiest graphics pack and gently bicker over the genocidal racism that pervades the game. We're even a hard community to troll, because most of the time we remain completely oblivious to every line of attack, and start trying to help the troll find a graphics pack to fix his issues with the visuals, give him tips on managing the interface or just adopt the comics they're trying to attack us with, that kind of thing is far too rare on 4chan.

>>121979808
Yeah, it's a real bugger to wrangle it into an almost joke, and even if you can the joke is laughable at best.

And it's STILL better than some drivel like "Magma wells when".

>>121979987
This isn't an invasion, don't pull the fucking lever!
>>
>>121980194
Its not really a joke.

I actually want magma wells.

I'd pay, like, 50 bucks for them.
>>
>>121980123
Well, the Drifters anime isn't out yet...
You could watch the first season of Record of Lodoss War. PARN!
Hmm.
>>
>>121980308
What the fuck are they?
>>
>>121980384
I'm taking it as a well that can use a magma-safe bucket to bring it up several z-levels, which would be incredibly useful.
>>
>>121980308
I kinna wanna give toady money anyways. He seems like the kind of guy who needs it.
>>
>>121980423
yeah, and then you can use it to fill a pond, like you can with water.
>>
>>121980194
Basically, yeah. I've been across a couple of other boards for more than just reading jokes or lookin at pr0n but this one isn't nearly the same sort of assholishness.

I think the game is so mean we don't feel the need to be mean to each other.

We all know what it is like to struggle in vain and do your best to and make your little dudes happy, only to watch them all die one by one to something you didn't even think could happen.

Oh, I forgot an anime which is kinda a weird suggestion, but has a great reason for it: Maria the Virgin Witch.

Why?

Set aside the plot and all that shit, whether you care about it or not isn't the point, look at those goddamn battle formations and gear and fighting methods!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tFOJFyTl1U
>>
I generally don't like embarking on a volcano because its hard to find one next to a river.
>>
>>121980542
>skallagrim

I've seen people with the dwarf face as their youtube picture quite a few times in his comments. It can't be a coincidence that a portion of Dwarf Fortress players have an interest in medieval weapons and how they work.
>>
>>121980423
>>121980504
I see, I'd thought this was an unrelated mechanic from another game, my apologies.

Would it be possible to manually trigger a well's dipping function somehow? You'd still have to persuade the dorf to treat a bucket of lava the same way he'd treat water, but one step at a time eh?
>>
>>121977801
I only ever really cared for 3 anime series, (though there were plenty of good movies) the original robotech, the original dragonball, and cowboy bebop.

I always wanted to check out southern cross, but i'm not sure where to find it.
>>
>>121980571
That's why you reroute the river!
>>
>>121980696
with a magma pond fill.

pond fills are great for farming.
>>
File: Armor Articulation 2.webm (3MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Armor Articulation 2.webm
3MB, 1024x768px
>>121980665
You ain't seen anything unless you look at /mbg/, or certain /tg/ threads.
>>
>>121980734
No, i mean next to river at all. Plus when you do find one they are usually on opposite sides, so building flood channels to keep the water pressure high enough to reach your fort is a pain.

You can either build next to a river, build next to a volcano, or try to build in the middle. Thats assuming you can find a volcano next to a river at all.
>>
>>121980820
look at how well that arm joint is articulated. You see the way those plates overlap? thats whats missing from most modern designs, is craftsmanship.
>>
>>121980820
>You ain't seen anything unless you look at /mbg/

I used to browse, when I played Mount and Blade a shit ton but I stopped after I lost interest. /twg/ had a pretty keen interest in weapons, although discussion leaned towards history more. I don't go there anymore though, and from what I've heard it's a shithole anyway.

A little related, I wanted to make a historical weapons and armor mod (and I did partially), but I feel the amount of tokens you can use on a weapon just aren't enough to distinguish weapons, especially because of the lack of a range on melee weapons. It's a shame really. I can only eagerly await for that update that contains formations.
>>
>>121980696
watch them try to use it to clean someones wounds..
>>
>>121980807
Aren't they horribly inefficient and take loads of buckets or time?

I always figure if I'm needing to make a hole in the ceiling of the farm, I might as well dig that hole from a water source and put a door/level setup in the way somewhere. Get it done at the same time as creating a secure water source.
>>
>>121981010
that'd be awesome. formations would be the shit for df.
>>
>graphics tileset clearly show a cactus
>its bamboo
baka desu
>>
File: 1284597865034.png (32KB, 284x271px) Image search: [Google]
1284597865034.png
32KB, 284x271px
>>121981010
>and from what I've heard it's a shithole anyway

Most of the generals are awful, we've settled right in the middle of sinister badlands here.
>>
File: Armor Articulation 1.webm (2MB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Armor Articulation 1.webm
2MB, 1024x768px
>>121980997
NASA got access to a similar suit of plate for study, to learn from it and apply the lessons hardwon over centuries of warfare to their spacesuits.
They also have taken NASCAR seat harnesses for study, because of how well they protect the drivers.

That suit would be 17th century technology, the last gasp of the fully armoured soldier, but oh how well armored they were.
>>
>>121981078
well, they are a pain because only one dwarf will ever try to fill a pond at a time, but you can work around that by splitting each tile into a separately designated area.

You only need to spill water on one rock tile to make it farmable, but if you really want to get tricky you can channel a one tile wide pitt that is 2 or 3 z levels deep and fill it to the top.

You only need to get the tile to 3/7's before it no longer evaporates.
>>
File: fire men.png (171KB, 540x405px) Image search: [Google]
fire men.png
171KB, 540x405px
>>121981184
>Most of the generals are awful

True, but I heard /twg/ is REALLY bad but of course that is just a few people's account.

Gonna post an artifact I made just to attempt to keep my post on topic.
>>
help, my dwarf therapist auto disables/enables some weird combination of labors to my dwarves. Everytime I start a new fort, it disables mining for my 2nd miner, woodcutting, and hauling jobs for all. And adds all the farming skills to everyone.
>>
>>121977801
I don't ever use minecarts.

I hardly ever even use wheelbarrows.
>>
>>121981446
the minecart interface is too complicated. Its too much of a pain in the ass to dick around with when you can just haul shit en mass with all your useless labor dwarves.

I think the problem with wheelbarrels is that they are linked to a stockpile. If you could just store them in a seperate stockpile and use them for whatever, like you can with barrels and bags, that would be better.
>>
>>121981626
>I think the problem with wheelbarrels is that they are linked to a stockpile

Also the fact you are limited to like 3 minecarts.
>>
I'm too softhearted with migrants. I don't practice proper airlock discipline. I also hate sieges. Not because I don't enjoy the concept, just because I suck at violence.
>>
>>121981668
yeah. if i could just have a stockpile of like 25 wheelbarrels next to all my other stockpiles, that would be way better.
>>
File: 1427199208782.jpg (360KB, 710x508px) Image search: [Google]
1427199208782.jpg
360KB, 710x508px
>>121981668
>minecarts

Getting way too tired to still be posting on 4chan.
>>
>>121981778
You can make feeder piles.

3 feeder piles w/ 3 wheelbarrows
1 pre-qsp pile with 3 wheelbarrows
1 qsp with the minecart dumping off onto it
>>
Is it hipster to have a still in your tavern?

I've been to a couple of REALLY nice microbrewing pubs, but they still had that kinda cunty vibe despite how nice the ale and food was.

>>121981668
You are?
>>
>>121981432
Did you use automation or something?

Check your optimiser/scripts
>>
>>121981953
I'm scared so I just re"installed?" DF+LNP
I had no profiles saved to Dtherapist and it kept trying to do the same settings even while I'm trying to disable the labor
I thought it was a ghost
>>
>>121979348
Scaling down never works well. Why didn't you scale up the short side instead?

Also, if you want a large curse, why didn't you use Haowan/Myne as a base?
>>
File: After the Aftermath Cleanup.png (96KB, 1561x967px) Image search: [Google]
After the Aftermath Cleanup.png
96KB, 1561x967px
Would it be possible to give invaders the impression they are going to be able to access my fortress, without actually exposing vulnerable areas to them?

Last I heard, the community still wasn't sure what exactly the invaders target when they path into your fortress, and I'd like to have secure defenses that aren't an impenetrable front gate for a change.
>>
>hunter go hunt that emu
>emu literally just stands there vomiting and taking damage, splattering blood on the brook, not giving a fuck
>tanks 4 quivers full of wooden bolts
>make him captain so I can force order him to just punch the god damn thing
It died finally, am I not allowed to take the corpse of an emu if I killed it via kill order?
>>
>>121984017
Hmm not sure if it's what you're looking for but I usually route a trap hallway around my gate, so when the gate is shut they'll be forced to path into the traps.
>>
>>121985169
I'd like to be able to seal off my civilian areas in such a way that invaders don't hang around outside awkwardly wondering if I heard them knock.

I'm only going to have the 'trap' route into my fortress this time, so I'm not worried about closing off any shortcuts, I'd just like to be able to have the trap route open at all times without exposing myself to so much danger if my militiary collapses.
>>
>want to learn to play this game
>again
>get autistic about every little mistake I do
>start new game
>repeat
>stop playing the game

How can I overcome this.
This game has everything I could hope for, yet I sperg all over it.
>>
File: A truly horrid beast.png (21KB, 639x300px) Image search: [Google]
A truly horrid beast.png
21KB, 639x300px
>>121990250
>I sperg all over it.
So stop sperging out. Relax and enjoy the music.
>>
>>121990250
>How can I overcome this.
Stop getting autistic about every little mistake you do.
Duh.

Don't pick an embark location, just embark where you are when the embark screen appears. Don't prepare carefully.
Don't choose a point where you dig into the earth, just dig down where you stand, or the closest wall.
Don't plan out rooms, dig them out right as you need them right where you have space.

No mistakes, happy accidents, etc.
>>
Anons how do I make a raw material stockpile for my brewery and kitchen.
Also my current food stockpile is weird, my dorfs aren't using pots/barrels in it ( it has maxed barrels settings and I'm making constant stream or barrels+pots) , hell I have empty barrels lying right next to the stockpile.
my food are rotting/plants wilting send help

I remade the stockpile multiple times, nothing is happening
>>
>>121990953
food doesn't rot if it's not in barrels, as long as it's in a stockpile. It will generate files but those don't do anything.
>>
>>121990705
>>121990470
o-ok
>>
Is it possible to decide the dwarf colors?
I would like to decide it myself
>>
>>121990470
> Alba

Fuckin' Scots, man.
>>
page 9 bump
>>
>>121993207
You mean skin and hair and so on? DFhack.
>>
>>121997043
No, I mean the color in which they are represented in the [U]nits list and on the map.
>>
>>121997648
That's their profession, which depends on their highest skill.
The easiest way would be to make a colored graphic set for your dwarves.

I.e. take the dwarf graphic, put it in a new file, copy it as many times as you want different colors, color them as you want, and write a text file to go with it.

Wiki pages "graphics" and "graphic_set" have extensive information.
>>
>get a sudden announcement that 3 of my dwarves have inherited the position of baron/baroness

Sooo did a site get conquered somewhere? It's only the third year of this fort
>>
>>121984628
The hunter won't bring it back to the butcher shop as usual.

However, if there is a butcher shop close enough to the corpse, the butcher will haul it there by himself.
>>
>>121978378

Whenever you fast travel 90% of the time, the game crashes, rather it crashing only 5% of the time.
>>
Anyone tried the GOOD_EVIL_MIX that comes with LNP?
>>
>>121997860
I'll look into it, thanks.
>>
File: Myne36x54.png (31KB, 576x864px) Image search: [Google]
Myne36x54.png
31KB, 576x864px
>>121983980
I'm doing them all.
>>
File: BigasamAscii.png (139KB, 576x864px) Image search: [Google]
BigasamAscii.png
139KB, 576x864px
>>121999171
More specifically, when the game loads the different map sizes repeatedly with twbt enabled it tends to crash, ESPECIALLY on the first load after a save.
>>
File: curses_halfshade.png (16KB, 512x768px) Image search: [Google]
curses_halfshade.png
16KB, 512x768px
*blushes and stammers nervously*

CLA-senpai liked my letter-shape racial graphics idea.

*accidentally gets water splashed on him, revealing his erect nipples*

I think once I get a better idea how to do this effect I'm gonna try it on a couple other sets, I know I love the way Wanderlust looks, and I know others do as well, and it worked REALLY well with the big curses set.

Think I'm gonna do the gradation a little finer and then see if I can apply it to another set to comfy it up some more.
>>
File: 1406585471719.gif (130KB, 450x300px) Image search: [Google]
1406585471719.gif
130KB, 450x300px
So how do you defend against digging invaders when it gets implemented. Is it just one invader digs to the fort and you deal with them, or they dig and the entire fucking siege is behind them?
>>
>>122003494
You protect yourself from digging invaders by covering your entire fort in magma, forcing the goblin scum to use your front door.
>>
File: ImprovedWallsAndColumns.png (25KB, 340x474px) Image search: [Google]
ImprovedWallsAndColumns.png
25KB, 340x474px
Ah! I noticed I left the center of the wall shading intact which misses part of the effect of the Phstthpok walls effect I stole for Bigasam.

>>122003998
Set up trenches and constructed walls, have magma in the trenches, by all means guys, dig into it!

>>122003494
Or this.
>>
>>122003183
That tileset would be top-tier, if it wasn't for the differently shaded backgrounds. I assume that the point is to make grass into an actual green mass rather than small dot, and make blood splatter visible all over the floor, rather than just within the small confine of the used character,.

Still, I'm not quite happy about it. Mind making a version with all-transparent backgrounds?
>>
File: curses_clearshade.png (15KB, 512x768px) Image search: [Google]
curses_clearshade.png
15KB, 512x768px
>>122004621
Like so?

I have a .xcf I keep updated as I tweak the shading stuff so I just drop the other layers in and scale them then play with them in there.
>>
>>122005176
Hmmm, I merged the tilemagic wall/floor shading into the main curses layer at some point, I could remove it but it is really fucking harsh when you engrave walls like that and there is no difference with un-engraved walls.
>>
>An elven caravan has arrived

Should I kill them all?
>>
>>122005406
yes
>>
>>122005406
Elfs can bring you logs and fancy animals.

Up to you if you prefer the extra fun, or the few trinkets they bring.
>>
File: CursesComparo.png (126KB, 901x1006px) Image search: [Google]
CursesComparo.png
126KB, 901x1006px
>>122005332
I flipped over to the curses32x48 set which has no shading/tile magic (or column aparently, oops) for a comparison of why I think the tilemagic walls/floors are way better.
>>
>>122005176
Well, I meant the walls and floor, as well.
>>
>>122003494
I hope they only dig through soil layers.
>>
>>121977801
They probably provided him with the piece of wood. Those hippy bastards!
>>
File: CurseYouAnon.png (15KB, 512x768px) Image search: [Google]
CurseYouAnon.png
15KB, 512x768px
>>122006215
Herm, I can I think.
>>
File: sheep2.gif (50KB, 294x233px) Image search: [Google]
sheep2.gif
50KB, 294x233px
No idea how this fucker got up there.
>>
>>122005708
>>122005630

I just murdered them

Kek, I bet they will siege me or something, that would be my first siege

And possibly the last
>>
How do I butcher caged animals?
>>
>>122006784
Is it a wild animal? They won't butcher it unless it's trained/tame. If it is they just take it to the butcher's shop like normal.
>>
>>122006784
press z
press Enter
if the animal in question is already tame, select it and press b
if it's wild, you'll have to train it first. you can do that in the same screen by just pressing t with the animal selected.
>>
File: Shaved Toad.jpg (189KB, 635x433px) Image search: [Google]
Shaved Toad.jpg
189KB, 635x433px
https://www.projectoxford.ai/demo/emotion#detection

>doesn't recognise dorf faces
>>
File: Poor Jeb, always forgotten.jpg (222KB, 641x397px) Image search: [Google]
Poor Jeb, always forgotten.jpg
222KB, 641x397px
>>122009351
All in all, I'm deeply disappointed.
>>
File: normalisinggenocide.png (168KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
normalisinggenocide.png
168KB, 500x500px
>>122009351
>>
>34 dorf population
>Killed a few elven traders
>Around 193000 wealth
>Shitloads of booze and food
>Aboveground fortress protecting my aboveground farms and entrance to my fort
>Underground farms which are pretty meh but still nice to have
>No sieges

How am I doing?
>>
File: Life goal complete.jpg (136KB, 387x485px) Image search: [Google]
Life goal complete.jpg
136KB, 387x485px
You know what, this is shit for us, since it only really likes photos apparently.
>>
File: elfbone.png (36KB, 1280x750px) Image search: [Google]
elfbone.png
36KB, 1280x750px
>>
>>122006347
Nice. I'll try it out as soon as I've finished studying for tonight(don't ask why I'm on 4chin when I should be studying).
>>
File: 1236162202429.jpg (88KB, 501x600px) Image search: [Google]
1236162202429.jpg
88KB, 501x600px
>>122011481
We know why you're on 4chin, now fuck off and study so you don't have to waste 5 hours of fortress designing time listening to christmas songs in retail hell like me.
>>
Is it still possible for a caravan of a race that's not a neighbor to come by rarely?

There's no elven civilization nearby, but I'd like to see their fancy animals
or start a war
I guess humans suffice
>>
File: curses_racial.png (7KB, 288x240px) Image search: [Google]
curses_racial.png
7KB, 288x240px
>>122011481
Ah yes, contributing to the delinquency of others, it's a good feeling.

If you want some racial graphics for it I just finished cleaning up some of the edges and the shading on them.

As I said above, I fit them into the outlines of the tiles, so the dead goblins/remembered positions are the same size/shape as the g, elves are the same as the e, etc.

http://pastebin.com/nWHA8fsp

I narrowed the outlines of the dorf face to make it match the others better, as there wasn't QUITE enough room to fit the hollow face style as it was, but since it's so big it doesn't look fuzzy like it would at lower resolutions.

Which is part of why I didn't try to smooth any of the edges in the curses shaded sets, keep the vanilla clunky charm with the pretty shading effect.
>>
>>122012410
No, I don't think you're going to see any elves
>>
>>122006784
>>122007242
>>122007332
Or you can just pit wild monsters down a few dozen z levels if they aren't flying. That'll butcher them quite fine.
>>
>>122012353
>implying I'm not a humanities student who will end up there anyway

>>122013346
Those graphics are amazing. I love how loyal you stuck to the original tiles; gobbos have accent mark shaped eyes, referring to how they look when they shine in the dark, soldiers having umlauts above their heads, et cetera.
>>
>>122013465
That's too bad.
Hopefully Toady will implement independant merchant caravans that are a rare occurence someday.

On the sunny side, my fortress won't stink up.

>>121945436
So the patient I was talking about was never removed. She's now struck by melancholy and FINALLY moved her ass.

What are some fun things to do with your non-dangerous mental patients?
She's very slow, part due to the insanity, part due to the fact that her hip and foot were smashed beyond recognision. So I might be able to do something.
>>
Year 2, got lots of dwarves and dosh and killed an elven caravan

No sieges at all

Is this normal?
>>
>>122017624
Completely.
>>
File: AA.jpg (122KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
AA.jpg
122KB, 800x600px
>Make Large Gems 2/2

>>122017624
where did you embark? post site populations and how close they are to you on the world map
and what's your population?
>>
>>122017767
34 dwarves, I embarked on a temperate nice place. I got lots of statues, smooth walls and carved stuff + lots and lots of crafts (Including golden crafts) and weapons (Iron armor/weapons and Elf bones arrows )

Don't really know the world populations and I don't really want to retire my fort as it will probably fuck everything up.
>>
>>122017624
>Year 2
Yes, normal. In addition to proximity, whether they're in another war, and whether they have a sufficient site populationm you should wait 5 years or so.
>>
>>122017991
>5 years or so
>At 30 FPS
Suffering
>>
>>122017960
Read the wiki, man. you need 80 pop before you get invasions unless you've modded the game.

But really, you need to embark very close to a goblin site to get an invasion ever, otherwise mostly what you'll be dealing with are occasional werecreatures (very annoying early on because they'll attack you right away), megabeasts, and forgotten beasts
>>
File: fucking llamas.jpg (98KB, 585x415px) Image search: [Google]
fucking llamas.jpg
98KB, 585x415px
Does anyone know why my llamas want to escape their nice pen?
>>
>>122018303
They're trying to get back to their natural river habitat.
>>
File: BlamBlamMOtherFuckas.png (254KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BlamBlamMOtherFuckas.png
254KB, 1920x1080px
>>122014147
Ty ty, I got the idea from CLA and his sets.
>>
>>122018998
>mfw people actually play my mod

This gives me a reason to keep developing it

Too bad I ran out of fucking ideas
>>
File: dat llama cloth.png (15KB, 794x484px) Image search: [Google]
dat llama cloth.png
15KB, 794x484px
>>122018960

Are you joking with me right now this is no joking matter this is serious business.
>>
>>122019480
No worries, you've got decades of patching and bugfixing ahead of you anyways, enjoy!

>>122018998
Looking forward to seeing your smoother gradients with Myne. Was pondering doing it myself, but well, you're here doing it anyway...
>>
>>122018303
Really stupid unresolved bug where animals always try to path through locked doors they're next to.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=797
>>
File: BlamBlamMOtherFuckas1.png (135KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BlamBlamMOtherFuckas1.png
135KB, 1920x1080px
>>122019480
Well, I was helping develop it but I figured I'd play around with it some and see how the graphics looked, share some shots for others to see and be like "wait, mustket ball? what?" cause it really is a lot of fun.

I've been sneaking around a forest retreat jabbing elves in the brains and blasting them.

>>122019930
Yeah, I think I'll do the Myne now once I clean up an error with the elf tile alignment (handy that I have both in the same .xcf though) which might be original actually.

Does the e with the dots have a flat bottom normally or did I do that?
>>
>>122018303
How are they grazing down there? I know moss and stuff like it can grow on dirt floors, but I see smoothed stone.
>>
File: Myne.png (7KB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
Myne.png
7KB, 288x288px
>>122020296
I think you did that, but you might not be working from the same version of Myne as I use.
>>
>34 dwarves
>30 fps when no one is doing anything
>drops to 15 when people are doing shit

I have a shitty computer, I accept that, but what the hell. I did everything the wiki said. It helped a lot, but it still lags with a small number of dorfs
>>
>>122020352
They're constructed floors, but under the food stockpile has been flooded.

>>122019959
Thanks, they still aren't respecting their pasture zone though when the doors are set to pet passable. I have no meeting zones which was what I thought was the issue.
>>
File: antisocial.jpg (67KB, 500x483px) Image search: [Google]
antisocial.jpg
67KB, 500x483px
>>122018998
However, I sadly can't use the tileset. It's cosy and well made, but when I use it, it feels like it might be bad for my eyes. It may be that my monitor is too small(I'm using a laptop). In any case, I'll stick to the standard tileset for the time being.
>>
>>121980194
This is one of the bests generals I've been in. Always helpful and no shit flinging for asking "stupid questions".
>>
>>122021034
>Always helpful and no shit flinging for asking "stupid questions".
There is sometimes, over "wikiable" cases.
Even then, we still usually provide a link while chiding the person.
>>
>>122021132
I was just thinking how good the newbies have been about this lately, it used to be something of a nuisance.
>>
>Mistem Figureurn the Joy of Laboring, marksdwarf
>received his title after just 7 kills
>they all came in the same invasion, one we weren't prepared for, consisting of a mixed group of 10 goblins and elves
>every single kill he recorded was by bludgeoning his opponent to death with his no-quality-level bronze crossbow because we were out of bolts
absolute hero
>>
Something is wrong. I cannot TURN OFF the labours of my dwarves.

How can I solve this?
>>
File: 2015-11-06_00001.jpg (183KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-06_00001.jpg
183KB, 1280x720px
New dorf here wondering what this general thinks of adventure mode? Not really any other questions about the game gonna try and wiki stuff on my own before asking.
>>
File: come at me bro.png (28KB, 541x364px) Image search: [Google]
come at me bro.png
28KB, 541x364px
>>122022297

imo it gets kinda boring after a certain point
>>
>>122022297
It's about 40% of the way to being completely amazing. The combat is pretty fun and travelling around, visiting towns, and hunting for monsters is really neat. Unfortunately after playing for a few hours you'll get to recognise the patterns of how things happen a little too quickly and it feels repetitive (in particular, the way people talk), but it's still definitely worth messing around with if you haven't yet.
>>
>>122022297
I enjoy it, but I've a taste for long walks in the woods, and the simple living of surviving.
>>
>>122022636
>only adequate biter
Anon, get to it.
>>
>>122022754
>Unfortunately after playing for a few hours you'll get to recognise the patterns of how things happen a little too quickly and it feels repetitive (in particular, the way people talk), but it's still definitely worth messing around with if you haven't yet.
It is inevitable.
>>
>>122022809

I was waiting until all my stats were max before drinking some vampire blood and maxing it. You reckon my stats are max yet? :^)
>>
File: richter.png (250KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
richter.png
250KB, 640x480px
>>122022181
Bump for help. This is annoying.

I press the labour - say BEEKEEPING - and it immediately reverts to unmarked.

What the heck is wrong?
>>
So I want to have a professional level operator and lock him in a room with levers and a bed+table

The thing is, how do I keep him supplied with food?
>>
>>122023734
Dig a hole in the ceiling above the room, designate it as a dump zone and then dump food items into it, unforbidding them when they land.
>>
>>122023351
Are you using the vanilla interface, the DFHack plugin userface, or Dwarf Therapist?
>>
>>122020503
I meant that the curses elves had a flat bottom so I just swapped them to match the others since it's a minor change that helps preserve the aesthetic matching.

Almost got the big myne set shaded up.
>>
>>122020858
It doesn't zoom down right in-game?

I can try to toss out a smaller version with the shading, that should scale fine if I keep the proportions.
>>
So Would /dfg/ consider adventure mode a good way to get accustomed with a lot of the different graphics or icons that represent "entities" in the world?
>>
>>122024721
Well, I tried it on different zoom levels. Only on the highest zoom did the game look crisp, all others where fuzzy. When I used the highest zoom, my game screen was about as big as the standard windowed DF.

Of course, the (literal) eyesore might be the effect of having an improper colour scheme(I used the standard ditto)
>>
>>122024964
It's not too bad, but using loo[k] in fortress mode will work just as well, you're going to be painfully confused for a bit either way.
>>
So... What is some cool challenges for a not-shit-but-still-not-the-best player?

Also, I seem to start lagging after the 3rd-4th migrant wave. Anyone got any tips for improving FPS aside from the ones on the wiki?
>>
>>122027551
set [MIGRANT_WAVES:X] to [MIGRANT_WAVES:3] in the init file.
>>
>>122027960
Wouldn't that make it impossible for me to get attacked by gobbos and stuff?
>>
>>122025270
Well, I prefer an almost default color scheme myself, I'll shrink down a version when I finish the Myne shaded one and you can see if that works.

Did you use the totally clear CurseYouAnon version or one of the other?

>>122024964
I like to use adventure mode for testing certain things like creature graphics especially since you can control to some extent which ones you encounter.

That's a big bonus of the Victorian mod actually, tends to be easier to bump into the different races in rapid succession.
>>
>>122029435
The totally clear one.
>>
I'm planning to do the Xenophobic challenge.

What is the best way to genocide all the miggers?
>>
File: Propagada Mine.png (347KB, 744x1052px) Image search: [Google]
Propagada Mine.png
347KB, 744x1052px
>>122030048
PULL THE LEVER
>>
File: 1292322864235.jpg (29KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1292322864235.jpg
29KB, 400x400px
>>122030048
Natural causes, it's practically untraceable to you!
>>
>>122030048
Build a big fucking wall to keep them out instead.
If you really want to kill them, I'd use some sort of bridge contraption. Probably not atom smashing though. I'd probably have them all fall in a pit from a retracting bridge.
>>
File: CurseYouAnonSm.png (21KB, 256x384px) Image search: [Google]
CurseYouAnonSm.png
21KB, 256x384px
>>122029807
This work?
>>
File: MyneShadedSquare.png (34KB, 576x576px) Image search: [Google]
MyneShadedSquare.png
34KB, 576x576px
>>122033925
I worked out a neat trick while doing this which I should have been doing the whole time, but will make it easier to do others now.

When I tried to size it down some of the letters (but not all) ended up blurred, I think it was the ones I had centered a bit better (they're normally left-aligned) but whatevs.

So to fix those rather than just painting the whole thing by hand I copied the gradient from the forge side tiles (tile 8 I think?) and set that as my brush, then selected the white and just drew across that way.
>>
File: MyneShaded.png (29KB, 576x864px) Image search: [Google]
MyneShaded.png
29KB, 576x864px
>>122034174
Bleh, looks like the square mine had some transparent white over the space where the gap in the e should be, didn't notice that or account for it since it isn't in the nonsquare one.
>>
>>122034174
Did you smooth it too or something? You seem to have merged the mouth with the chin on the dorf face.
>>
File: curses_squareshade.png (15KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
curses_squareshade.png
15KB, 512x512px
>>122034724
Bah, I didn't notice that either, I thought I had cleaned that up, I'll do one fresh since i figured out how to do it much easier than I was doing. Case in point, this took like no time.

Just did the gradient as a full size layer (copy paste/stacked the rows/made sure it wasn't covering the walls/copy/set brush/select white/pow)
>>
File: MyneShaded.png (17KB, 576x576px) Image search: [Google]
MyneShaded.png
17KB, 576x576px
>>122034724
Here ya go!

Just drew out the gradient once, stretched it to 576x36, copied the layer over the non-wall parts then selected the white and applied it as a brush.
>>
File: CurseYouAnonSm.png (21KB, 256x384px) Image search: [Google]
CurseYouAnonSm.png
21KB, 256x384px
>>122033925
Glad you didn't respond yet, caught a couple of artifacts.
>>
I built my very own border guard post for my 7 dwarf fortress.

I will only accept dorfs if they are good enough for great Arztozkan Fortress.

The rest get either atom-smashed or thrown through the air with raising bridges.
>>
>>122038883
Bonus points if you built it on a road on the actual border of your civ's territory.
>>
Do you think this challenge would be do-able?

NUCLEAR FALLOUT:
*Friggin Armok farted on the surface of the world and everything went nuclear
*You must dig a bunker as deep as possible to avoid the radiation
*No trading or accepting new migrants, the have to stay outside (You can "delete" them with dfhack if possible)
*Only food you can plant is the one you bring and you can only plant underground seeds
*You MUST Be deep enough to be at least bellow the clay layer. You MUST do your fort on rock, or everyone dies thanks to the radiation
*Keep everyone's sanity intact and try to not die of hunger or thirst.
>>
>Attack dwarf caravan
>Get royally fucked

I guess this was a learning experience
>>
>>122041436
Doesn't sound very hard at all, assuming you get enough breeding pairs in your original 7.
>>
>>122041436
That's basically Cathelms, though I had the pop cap at 20 originally, it got up to 30 when I overwrote the d_init.txt by accident.
>>
File: bamboe.jpg (6KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
bamboe.jpg
6KB, 225x225px
>no sieges ever
>game boring as fuck
>new fortress, embark right next to a tower
>after a year get invaded
>mybodyisready.jpg
>the zombies from the tower take two steps forward and then they leave
>mfw i can't have fun
>>
File: GotMeANecromancer.png (214KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GotMeANecromancer.png
214KB, 1920x1080px
>>122046973
That happens sometimes.

Not always though.
>>
>>122046973
>he only gets enjoyment from Dwarf Fortress via sieges and action

I don't think this game is for you, honestly.
>>
>>122048295
hey im gonna enjoy the game however i want and you can't do anything about it
im also a legends mode slut
>>
>>122048391
>im also a legends mode slut

You've redeemed yourself.
>>
File: ScaredyGobs.png (94KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ScaredyGobs.png
94KB, 1920x1080px
>>122048391
I don't know what we did without the open-legends script, honestly.

Also, I think my lever operated door trick broke these zombies.
>>
File: 1386184897064.jpg (24KB, 286x227px) Image search: [Google]
1386184897064.jpg
24KB, 286x227px
>>122034174
Wait, you drew the effect on all tiles manually?
>>
File: toady and scamps.png (353KB, 500x357px) Image search: [Google]
toady and scamps.png
353KB, 500x357px
>I finished up the various non-dwarf item code. The "foreign" weapon stockpiles are a bit odd now (shrinking as you add resident races), and mercenaries will mostly ignore you if you try to fiddle with their equipment in ways that would make them drop their owned equipment, but hopefully it works well enough for a first release pass. Diplomats will hang out in taverns for a bit after their official duties, and bandits will also occasionally arrive to relax as well.

Four items off the remaining goals so far. There are ten left.
>>
File: minced wine.jpg (20KB, 1336x42px) Image search: [Google]
minced wine.jpg
20KB, 1336x42px
>find out my food sells higher than anything else
>check out why
>Dwarf food tech so advanced they can mince alcohol
Do they like jelly-fy the booze then mince them? How do they do it
>>
>>122055915
I like to think it's the dwarven way of mixing ingredients. they pile everything up in a pot, smack the bottom of the pot to launch its contents straight up, go nuts at them with an extremely sharp blade while they're flying, catch them in the bowl and then cook it as-is
but I usually turn off booze cooking
>>
File: NotSureWhichVariantIsBetter.png (4KB, 513x768px) Image search: [Google]
NotSureWhichVariantIsBetter.png
4KB, 513x768px
>>122054410
At first yeah, because I wasn't sure how I wanted it to look, so I just did shift+click to put lines across it, once I figured it out better I did the template/paintbrush trick, I'm making this shit up as I go dammit!

Also, I'm not sure which of the two on the bottom looks better for adventurers.
>>
>>122058040
I like the left better, if that helps.
>>
>tell the dwarf caravan i want to see all the meat variety you got
>they bring bring me all the meat in the world next year
absolute madman
>>
>>122059129
Based mountainhomes.
>>
>>122055915
Food can get pretty silly sometimes. There's an image on the wiki of a "tallow roast", which was just four minced lumps of tallow. Yum...
>>
>>122060063
I personally witnessed a four cheese roast during a recent fortress.
>>
File: budget food.png (15KB, 1366x65px) Image search: [Google]
budget food.png
15KB, 1366x65px
>>122060063
marginally less appetizing than this
>>
>>122058132
It does, I ended up favoring that one after playing around with them a bit.
>>
Does [b] [C] [x] ( construct up/down stairs ) give access to the floors above and below just like digging? Or do I have to channel first then construct them
>>
>>122062791
you need to channel first if you want it to provide access to the tile below, yeah.
>>
>>122062947
Don't lie to the poor kid.

>>122062791
Any down stairs component will provide access down on their own just fine.
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Stairs
>>
File: StillALittleDark.png (79KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
StillALittleDark.png
79KB, 1920x1080px
>>122063204
Yup, it's an important part of glacier embarks, without them you can't connect a staircase from the ice layer down to the stone layers.

>>122062063
Hmmm, they're too dark still, but they fit the victorian mod well since they do kinda feel "russian" to me.
>>
>>122063204
Shit, you're right, I just tried it. not sure where I read that but I'd been doing the channeling forever
weird as hell, it provides access through the floor but doesn't destroy it, so when you take the constructed staircases down it's there again. doesn't allow light down either
>>
>haha, 2years has past in my comfy dorf where all everyone does is eat and drink, picking fruits and cooking local wildlife
>I'm going to save and take a break
>DF has stopped working
;__;
>>
File: mr-men-mr-worry.jpg (15KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
mr-men-mr-worry.jpg
15KB, 300x300px
>>122064503
>I have two forts that are 5 or 6 years in that crash about midway from the last seasonal autosave
>>
File: ThatsBetter.png (116KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ThatsBetter.png
116KB, 1920x1080px
>>122063540
>>
File: CorpseExample.png (93KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CorpseExample.png
93KB, 1920x1080px
>>122067515
Rats, I think I just missed an insurrection in progress.

There were a bunch of goblin soldiers fleeing, then I get down and find some dead human, figured I'd demonstrate the graphics vs letter thing side by side.
>>
File: CursesDapper.png (11KB, 288x240px) Image search: [Google]
CursesDapper.png
11KB, 288x240px
DapperGraphicsBampu
>>
File: 1443430842128.jpg (89KB, 952x433px) Image search: [Google]
1443430842128.jpg
89KB, 952x433px
>artifacts
>>
File: PchewAwayYouGo.png (178KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PchewAwayYouGo.png
178KB, 1920x1080px
>>122072176
I'm not good at those kinds of artifacts. T.T
>>
File: lelf.jpg (7KB, 182x229px) Image search: [Google]
lelf.jpg
7KB, 182x229px
>>122067515
>food is lying directly on the floor
>dorves are walking around in it with their outdoor shoes on
quality gaming experience
>>
File: FancyASpotOfTea.png (94KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FancyASpotOfTea.png
94KB, 1920x1080px
>>122072824
Yeah, they're kinda retarded in world-gen forts but what can ya do?
>>
>>122075205
Have you noticed that it's only the goblin inhabitants that stick to the watch towers? Any goblified prisoners or descendants from goblified prisoners stick either to their rooms or the big underground chambers.

In any case, I've always suspected that the gobbos stick to the towers to avoid cave adaption.
>>
File: KaThunk.png (129KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
KaThunk.png
129KB, 1920x1080px
>>122075905
Definitely an interesting theory, but they linger underground in fortresses for years just fine when they end up moving to them.
>>
File: 1367253246114.png (26KB, 632x459px) Image search: [Google]
1367253246114.png
26KB, 632x459px
>>
File: GoGoGadgetHyperspeedAdventurer.png (61KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GoGoGadgetHyperspeedAdventurer.png
61KB, 1920x1080px
>>122079982
I'm disappointed that the fort I'm playing around with right now just causes vomiting/fevers because the eagles falling asleep in mid-air 120 z above the ground is endlessly hilarious.
>>
File: 1259714309484.gif (119KB, 3103x1136px) Image search: [Google]
1259714309484.gif
119KB, 3103x1136px
What's the name of the type of diagram that looks a little like this but isn't a flowchart, I know it's not a Venn diagram.

I'm wondering if I can use it to establish an overriding design for the fortress, put "Outside" in the big circle in the middle, link it to "Archers" (Who then link to "Ammo Stockpile", which links to "Smiths" and so on), "Meat Shield" and "Front Door".

It's all well and good doodling squares on a 144x144 picture, but it'd help clarify my plans if I could label and plan stuff more simply, I'm hoping to find a nice online generator for them once I know what the fuckers are called.
>>
> playing Masterwork.
> playing Urist McHumans
> Want to make a bighuge fort right away.
> Slack off on the military.
> Building is slow because >masterwork.
> Food and Drink struggles.
> Fort gets wiped by a werewolf.

Had a good place going too. I think I'm a little too slow building everything up and need to micromanage more because that really bites to see a promising start get assblasted so easily.
>>
File: RemeberToDrinkWhenAdvforting.png (141KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
RemeberToDrinkWhenAdvforting.png
141KB, 1920x1080px
Remember: friends don't let friends work sober!

Always make sure you keep some booze handy when you're using advfort.

Taking 110 ticks to smelt some ore when you're getting sober is terrible when you could chug some mead and get it done in 45 ticks or less!

>>122082370
>werewolf
>really bites
>what you did there has been seen
>>
File: poisonpepe.png (26KB, 567x546px) Image search: [Google]
poisonpepe.png
26KB, 567x546px
>>122082562

>tfw I don't know what I did.

He really was tearing up a new one for me. Like one hitting niggas and instantly transformed three of my men into more werewolves. It was scary senpai.
>>
If I give a dwarf a room with two chairs at a table, is he going to eat off his lap and bitch about a lack of tables?
>>
>save game
>crash

>play an older fort, time for break, save game
>crash

>make a new world
>crash

Save me
>>
File: RemeberToDrinkWhenAdvforting1.png (105KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
RemeberToDrinkWhenAdvforting1.png
105KB, 1920x1080px
>>122082854
Werewolves bite, it bites being attacked by one, etc.

>>122083672
If a chair is set as an office and a table as a dining room they should use that pair over others.
>>
>>122084636

I totally forgot what I typed and didn't realize what you were referring too, I'm retarded.
>>
File: ThatAintNoKindaDwarfIveEverSeen.png (120KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ThatAintNoKindaDwarfIveEverSeen.png
120KB, 1920x1080px
>>122084896
You're retarded, I somehow managed to screw up something when I was writing a graphics.txt and had a chief medical dwarf show up as a human hammerman.
>>
>>122083853
I'll save you
>anon has stopped working
>>
File: ThatAintNoKindaDwarfIveEverSeen1.png (135KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ThatAintNoKindaDwarfIveEverSeen1.png
135KB, 1920x1080px
>>122085142
Wait! It actually is a human!

What the shit?

I think I've met her before in another town cause she knew me as a legend, did the dumbstruck thing and all that.
>>
File: HumanChiefMedicalDwarf.png (123KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HumanChiefMedicalDwarf.png
123KB, 1920x1080px
>>122085553
So Chief Medical Dwarf is a title describing a position, even if it were a human or goblin or whatever.
>>
File: 1325522450480.png (45KB, 1300x820px) Image search: [Google]
1325522450480.png
45KB, 1300x820px
>>
File: VariousPillarsAndWallsEngraved.png (126KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
VariousPillarsAndWallsEngraved.png
126KB, 1920x1080px
>>122088826
That's why I felt so bad with Atir Cobaltthrows, saves the fort from flesh rotting monster goop, stumbles around rotting to death, I find him and try to scramble together a hospital and designate his room to be engraved and whatnot.

Then while I'm assing his furniture I notice another dorf listed on some of the stuff and realize it is his wife, and she's the one engraving his room while he rots to death.

Carved a shaft to the surface and put their gold sarcophagi under it in the center of a big tomb/meeting hall/statue garden so he wouldn't have to be alone in the dark ever again.
>>
File: WellThatIsntSafeApparently.png (171KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WellThatIsntSafeApparently.png
171KB, 1920x1080px
Oh shit, ok, relying on impassable ramps is NOT sufficent anymore apparently.

No clue why but after sitting there for nearly a year when it changed to autumn most of the zombies rushed into the cages but those two by the depot? Yeah, that's a fucking scare, I barely got a dorf to the backup bridge lever in time.

I put that there in case of fliers pathing through or something but climbers?

I can't get through it with an adventurer unless I use launch, so I have no clue how those two did that.
>>
File: WellThatIsntSafeApparently1.png (148KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WellThatIsntSafeApparently1.png
148KB, 1920x1080px
>>122090332
Holy fuck man, they literally sat there for a year with that available to climb through and didn't do anything.

This is the lower level, so yeah, figure out how they did that.
>>
>>122077171
I assume you're talking about dorf fortresses here? If they aim to become dorfs, it makes sense that they give up any ambitions they might have above-ground(goblins need to travel above ground when they mobilise against dorfs, while dorfs never mobilise at all, but merely defend themselves, which they can do just as fine below ground).
>>
File: SoManyNewPets.png (228KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SoManyNewPets.png
228KB, 1920x1080px
>>122091138
Yeah, I mean the immigrant ones you find in world-gen forts.
>>
So in dwarf fortress canon do dwarves have the ability to see in total darkness? I know the toad has mentioned maybe including light in a non-micromanagement intensive way.
>>
>>122097141
Yes, absolutely. They have some of the better darksight in the game.
Becoming over-reliant on this is how they get 'cave adapted.'
>>
>>122085987
That really is pretty strange. In my current game that I've custom modded, I made it so that the humans I'm playing as have all the positions dwarves have. One of those being chief medical dwarf, but I changed it to chief medical officer instead. If that's a problem, perhaps what I suggested will help.
>>
>>122098558
Eh, it is rare enough to be a curious and amusing thing rather than a problem I guess.
>>
File: The Circle of Life.png (2KB, 1082x139px) Image search: [Google]
The Circle of Life.png
2KB, 1082x139px
Fellow Aesthetes; do you have any advice on how to make smoothed sections of wall that are two tiles wide (double-width walls) less visually repulsive?

I'm not going to be able to eliminate them completely from my design, and I'm reluctant to start carving arbitrary holes in them for statues since I have certain shapes I'd like to preserve, are there any other tricks for dealing with them?
>>
p10 rescue bump
>>
>>122099030
Make it triple and leave the middle empty.
>>
File: 1444901841466.jpg (97KB, 960x742px) Image search: [Google]
1444901841466.jpg
97KB, 960x742px
timbukbump
>>
File: dorf life.png (15KB, 870x360px) Image search: [Google]
dorf life.png
15KB, 870x360px
>>
File: 1446855048894.jpg (119KB, 500x533px) Image search: [Google]
1446855048894.jpg
119KB, 500x533px
Reposting in the hope JustDorfThings anon will bring us more OC
>>
File: 1446787312401.jpg (162KB, 497x756px) Image search: [Google]
1446787312401.jpg
162KB, 497x756px
>>
>>122108239
> you're not ugly... society is

I'll be damned if that's not the gayest shit I've ever read.
>>
File: 1446787006484.jpg (125KB, 501x657px) Image search: [Google]
1446787006484.jpg
125KB, 501x657px
>>
File: horrifying screams.png (266KB, 501x612px) Image search: [Google]
horrifying screams.png
266KB, 501x612px
>>122108372
I know right

No true dwarf would turn their back on society like that
>>
>>122108372
>let me smell ur skin urist
>stop domas das gay
>do i smell helm plump
>>
File: Message from Armok.png (53KB, 1600x1010px) Image search: [Google]
Message from Armok.png
53KB, 1600x1010px
>>122103925
Yes, I had actually considered the most bleedin' obvious step already, but dismissed it as being too easy, anything else?
>>
File: gheoaldtveess.png (32KB, 533x1069px) Image search: [Google]
gheoaldtveess.png
32KB, 533x1069px
>>122109652
>lmao!
>>
File: A sign from below.png (59KB, 1600x1010px) Image search: [Google]
A sign from below.png
59KB, 1600x1010px
>>122110302
>taking the easiest route to creating that image

You disgust me.
>>
File: WTF.png (20KB, 1365x711px) Image search: [Google]
WTF.png
20KB, 1365x711px
>Start new game
>Siege in first month
>Oh, yes, some FUN is here, rise the bridge!
>Nobody ever came.
What the fuck was that?
>>
Guys I'm sorry I haven't been around answering questions, I know you've felt my absence and I never meant to hurt you. FO4 though. I'll try to make up for it a little while I'm at work.
>>121981275
>3/7
It's 2/7. Magma and water both only evaporate at a depth of 1.
>>121981432
>>121982041
>>122022181
That's a dfhack plugin called autolabor doing that. It's literally worse than cancer. In the dfhack console type "autolabor 0" (IIRC) without the quotes. If you're using the starter pack you can disable it from the dfhack tab (though it should be disabled by default).
>>122030048
Set your strict population cap to 1 and no migrants will ever come (even the first 2 "hardcoded" waves). Your hermit will be busy enough without having to engrave all those slabs.
>>122099030
Try engraving one side, or alternating engraved walls. You might even try toggling visible engravings on alternating walls. I personally like digging out single tiles for 1x1 drink stockpiles. The pillars that it leaves behind break up the blockiness multitile-thick walls.

Ok, back to work. Later /dfg/.
>>
File: Captain Kobold.jpg (205KB, 1562x325px) Image search: [Google]
Captain Kobold.jpg
205KB, 1562x325px
>>
File: BsEdsDGCQAAn9I8.jpg (62KB, 599x303px) Image search: [Google]
BsEdsDGCQAAn9I8.jpg
62KB, 599x303px
>mfw /dfg/ keeps dying
>>
Same
As
Ever
>>
File: Traumabold.jpg (524KB, 1296x1616px) Image search: [Google]
Traumabold.jpg
524KB, 1296x1616px
>>122115702
>>
File: WIPvine.png (50KB, 871x944px) Image search: [Google]
WIPvine.png
50KB, 871x944px
The center is going to be a deep shaft, I'm toying with the idea of having it a REALLY deep shaft by connecting it to the sky as well. I'm planning on having the access to the fort being via a 3 tile wide ramp that passes down this shaft in a meandering fashion, below this floor and connecting to the hallway at the north.

Does anyone have any workable but cool ideas for this 3 tile wide route down the shaft?
>>
>>122116541

Make two of them.

One like this:

Z+0:
.....vvv...

Z-1:
........vvv

Z-2:
.....vvv...

Z-3:
..vvv......

Repeating, with the other reversed.

Try to get them to spiral past each other in a double helix, or if you can't do that have four of them, with two on top reversed right/left and two on bottom flipped and reversed right/left.
>>
>>122117395
Why so many? I'm already going to be making my processor cry with pathfinding through all those 7 tile wide halls.

The predecessor to this design just had one ramp, with a 270 degree turn on each floor to keep invaders in the line of fire for longer.
>>
>>122117862
Oh yeah, didn't see the scale of that, I'm used to doing vertical forts so it isn't much space compared to the horizontal space opened up.
>>
>>122118846
>>
File: 1446908024336.jpg (398KB, 658x2161px) Image search: [Google]
1446908024336.jpg
398KB, 658x2161px
>>122115709
Shut the fuck up and get back to hauling.
Fucking idlers, only whine about nothing to do in the fort, but not a single one of them will move a finger to carry some rocks.
>>
File: mfw adamantine.png (3KB, 252x180px) Image search: [Google]
mfw adamantine.png
3KB, 252x180px
fresh artifact coming through
>>
File: 1260337201533.jpg (618KB, 608x2965px) Image search: [Google]
1260337201533.jpg
618KB, 608x2965px
>>122121994
I feel like I'm missing several references here.
>>
File: havingFun.png (209KB, 1280x775px) Image search: [Google]
havingFun.png
209KB, 1280x775px
>Give my 10 dorf squad all metal armor
>Put them inside the danger room
>They all end up with broken noses

At least they are trained enough

Also, I'm having lodsa fun, but this is starting to get repetitive and slow (Thanks to my shit-tier laptop)

Yes, my fort haves a 3x3 staircase, 1 tile wide corridors and other shit. Those were mistakes and I will avoid them the next time I make a fort.
>>
Can I still be sieged if Goblins aren't a neighbor in the embark screen?
>>
File: caravanproblems.jpg (619KB, 1910x1009px) Image search: [Google]
caravanproblems.jpg
619KB, 1910x1009px
>embark in a scorching zone
>also in the coast of the sea
>there's no water where the sea should be
>a river starts pouring the inexistent sea with water
>it will never finish
>caravans also arrive through the sea
>their wagons get instantly destroyed by the push of the river
>can never trade but at least get one wagon of shit for free
>take forever to pick up the items because the dwarfs constantly cancel the store object action
>they also spam the announcements with 'dangerous terrain' messages
how do I make caravans not arrive through there?
>>
>>122126625
Danger rooms aren't really necessary anymore. Dwarves train pretty damn quick now.
>>
>>122126625
>They all end up with broken noses
That's a lot worse than you might think. Cartilage has no healing rate, so their noses won't heal and eventually they'll get infected. Even if they survive the initial infection their noses will keep getting infected (since they remain injured) and eventually they'll die.
>>
>>122126625
>2015 danger rooms
anon no
>>
>>122127317
Build raising bridges along the map edge. You'll get some cancellations from the water. Obsidian is also an option if you have magma.
>>
>>122127679
I-I saw it on a tutorial
>>
File: FortFolder.png (54KB, 1280x775px) Image search: [Google]
FortFolder.png
54KB, 1280x775px
>>
File: Prison Pult.png (178KB, 1200x3744px) Image search: [Google]
Prison Pult.png
178KB, 1200x3744px
If fortifications can be jumped through.

Can you make a bridge that launches enemies through a huge fortificated wall.

Into prison cells?

Picture related
>>
"Guy who's working on the Dorf language" here.

I've managed to make a working and natural-looking phonology, and I'm changing stuff from the language table to suit it better.

Anybody interested? I could use some feedback before bugging Toady with this...
>>
>>122127317
Make sure the depot isn't accessible from the ocean, or at least from the map edges in it. There are several ways to do this, figuring them out is left as an exercise for the reader.
>>
>>122131635
My limited experience with bridgeapults is that they're quite unpredictable. No idea if they could wind up going through fortifications or not.
>>
>>122131635
Bridges don't fling people in a specific direction, sadly.
>>
I'm a newfag and I got bored of temperate, normal climates with normal shit.

I want a do-able challenge, something to keep me interested and on my seat for the entire 5 years my fortress will probably survive.
>>
I'm the guy who was making a mod that will change all the density and mechanical properties values of DF to real values. Shit like bone having the density of wood and stuff in vanilla, corrected.

No, it's still not done. Dunno when it will be done.
In the meantime, have Banished, free of charge, on GOG.

RQ*VBBEC01EE6DA5D2

Replace the * by a number from 0 to 9

Don't forget to donate to Toady!
>>
>>122135768
I'd like to suggest evil biomes, but it's going to be pure chance whether you get something that's just unsettling or completely lethal.

Have you dealt with necromancer towers nearby yet?
>>
>>122136359
Nope.

How much !!FUN!! will I have in a 1 out of 10 scale?
>>
>>122136457
I'd say somewhere between 6-8, they're not very reliable attackers, but they're fucking relentless when they decide to commit.

Spooky biomes can range the whole scale, before you even take savagery into account.
>>
File: NotSureButIThinkILikeIt.png (311KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NotSureButIThinkILikeIt.png
311KB, 1920x1080px
Hmmmmmmm.

>>122136457
Oh God Everybody is Dead/10
>>
>>122137048
>>122137276
>>122136359

Well shit, I generated several worlds and I can't find any necro tower.
>>
what is the worst thing in dork fortress, and why is it aquifers?
>>
Has anyone had any luck with Eskimo-fortress? How viable are igloo forts for surface work and how tedious is it getting water early?
>>
>>122138634
How long did you set the history to?
>>
>>122139072
125 years

I need more?
>>
>>122139120
To really make certain, yeah.

My large 125 year old world has like 2 towers.
>>
>>122139030
Yeah, people built in glaciers

They are viable, just keep your shit underground
>>
>>122139030
Water is pretty simple to reach in the caverns.

>>122138746
>free water anywhere on the map just a few levels below the surface
>free drainage anywhere on the map just a few levels below the surface
>entirely predictable and consistently bypassed

It sure as hell isn't Aquifers, are you sure you're not thinking of Possession?
>>
File: 1412776014913s.jpg (5KB, 91x125px) Image search: [Google]
1412776014913s.jpg
5KB, 91x125px
>>122136052

Thanks Urist
>>
File: CursesCrisp.png (25KB, 512x768px) Image search: [Google]
CursesCrisp.png
25KB, 512x768px
Trimmed some of the edges and it kinda came out looking like I tried to deliberately apply a stylistic touch to it.

If it's crap, it was an accident, if it's awesome, it was on purpose.

>>122138634
Raise the number of civs waaaaaaaaay up.

Way up, really fucking high, like 250 to 300 for a medium. More civs = more death gods = more towers = more fun.
>>
File: MoreILookTheMoreILikeIt.png (148KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
MoreILookTheMoreILikeIt.png
148KB, 1920x1080px
>>122141961
>>
Advfort for current df when?
>>
>>122139120
Most it takes for me is 40-50 if im lucky
>>
File: AdvfortWorksNow.png (165KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
AdvfortWorksNow.png
165KB, 1920x1080px
>>122145307
Uh, advfort works great already.
>>
>>122145881
Shit it does?

github link please?
>>
>>122146240
It's in dfhack.
>>
File: CursesDapper.png (13KB, 288x240px) Image search: [Google]
CursesDapper.png
13KB, 288x240px
Hmmm, I changed the shapes to fit the smoothed letters, but I had to add the little bars above the goblins because even though the hollow faces are distinct, it's just nice having the military units with the little dots/bars.

>>122146240
https://github.com/DFHack/dfhack/releases/tag/0.40.24-r4
>>
how do you even use those fonts?
>>
>>122146435
>>122146913
wew thanks anons I feel dumb and forgetting that this was already in dfhack
>>
Does anyone remember the reaction that created a site at the location you were standing at

Masterwork had one with DF hack
>>
>>122147189
As in how do I personally use them, or how would anyone use them in general?

In general you just save the file into your df/data/art folder, then open df/data/init/init.txt and remove a bracket from the entries with these at the beginning:

[FONT:
[FULLFONT:
[GRAPHICS_FONT:
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:

Then copy those lines and put the filename of the tileset in there after the colon.

[FONT:CursesCrisp.png]
[FULLFONT:CursesCrisp.png]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:CursesCrisp.png]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:CursesCrisp.png]

That would work with the set from here: >>122141961 as an example, but it's the same idea for any tileset.

I say remove a bracket because the game ignores the lines without them, so if you want to go back to an older tileset you can just remove the brackets from the new one/add them back to the old one.

For the graphics you have a more involved process of telling the game which combination of race/position uses which tiles, and those will be in df/raw/graphics instead of the data folder.
>>
>save game, time for break
>pls don crash
>stopped working
;_;
>>
>send all 40 dorfs to attack an invader
>they kill him
>when they come back to the training room they just kill eachother instead of sparring properly
>i don't notice instantly
>everyone dies
haha so fun exx deee good game totally not buggy
sieges are boring if they even exist and the game is buggy as fuck ex deee
donate to my patreon!!!!
>>
>>122151426
oh right i also forgot the fucking crashes that happen all the fucking time
>>
File: 1243377599625er.jpg (33KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
1243377599625er.jpg
33KB, 240x320px
>>122151426
>find a bug
>don't report it
>complain instead
>>
File: ZokunokabBulletTime.gif (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ZokunokabBulletTime.gif
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>122151426
>killing each other sparring
>crashes all the time

Are we playing the same game?

I mean, 40 dorfs vs 1 target isn't going to be exciting (though having a superdorfy adventurer take on 40 zombies in a siege is exciting!) but the killing each other sparring hasn't happened since 34.11 at the latest and I'm pretty sure it was actually fixed before then.
>>
File: LolNoSiegesMirite.png (259KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
LolNoSiegesMirite.png
259KB, 1920x1080px
>lolnosieges
>tfw I have pop capped at 30 and don't use a military because the blue crud everywhere causes fever/bruising/unconsciousness
>the zombies and goblins can dodge falling eagles as long as they want
>>
>>122153942
If I knock down draining in world creation will I get fewer aquifers?

Boy do I hate aquifers
>>
>>122154276
They're annoying when I'm not in the mood for them.

Fuck I forgot what the actual method to get rid of them was, I think drainage controls whether you get standing water like lakes or groundwater like aquifers or dry areas like deserts, but I haven't really got a feel or it like I do other parts of the painter.
>>
Yay, I think I figured out how to do the @ monocle!
>>
>>122136052
Holy shit you're still alive. And working on it?
Excellent.

Fucking cheers, mate.
>>
File: ZipZopZoobidyGobs.png (202KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ZipZopZoobidyGobs.png
202KB, 1920x1080px
>>122160105
Word, I look forward to seeing the improved properties to play with.
>>
>>122162126
I can't even make sense of what I'm seeing in this screenshot
>>
>>122162615
The goblin tiles fit into the g from the tileset, the blue shit is malodorous slime, causes the bruising and fevers, knocks shit out too, the eagle chunks everywhere being a common thing since the top of the map is like 269 z up.

The weird ice walls and obsidian are what happens when you have a big face barf magma onto a glacier.
>>
does "Urist's Cradle" still work?
when i built it it runs fine without magma, but once i flood it all the carts just get stuck.

they don't push the one in front of them out like the wiki entry describes.
>>
>>122163593
whoops link
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Magma#Minecarts
>>
Is there a mod to use saltpeter and charcoal to make gunpowder?
>>
File: NowThisIsAFuckinParty.png (214KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NowThisIsAFuckinParty.png
214KB, 1920x1080px
Ambush!

*looks around on the hillsides*

...Sheep Monster Wrestler, buncha gobs and some human/dorfs mixed in.

Glad there was a Roc nest right outside my starting fort, at regular speeds this would be pretty fucking career ending, as is I've got a few bruises and had some close calls, no kills yet either.
>>
>>122166056
>Sheep Monster Wrestler
Oh shit is it armored/clothed?
>>
>spend three hours on a new save
>saving progress
>crashes during save
>save can't be loaded without crashing

JUST
>>
>>122140485
What do you Neckbeards think of Banished anyway? Been curious about it for a while, but never really heard much good other than 'muh cozy' from /v/.

>>122168796
What the fuck are you guys doing to get so many crashes?

You've remembered to disable compressed saves, right?
>>
File: NowThisIsAFuckinParty1.png (234KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
NowThisIsAFuckinParty1.png
234KB, 1920x1080px
>>122168185
Pretty sure it's a demon leading a siege, was beating on me with earrings and shit.
>>
>try embark on evil zone
>raining blood
>DWARVEN BLOOD
Woah.
>>
File: 1243187892540.png (13KB, 384x267px) Image search: [Google]
1243187892540.png
13KB, 384x267px
>>122171490
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wnn47V09Q2M
>>
>>122171490
That's pretty brutal
>>
>>122171490
>go underground to wait out the rain
>one of my dwarves gets grabbed by an owl corpse
>slowly, one by one , half my dwarves die to the beast
;_; I didn't expect that much fun
>>
File: 1311602958612.jpg (231KB, 698x554px) Image search: [Google]
1311602958612.jpg
231KB, 698x554px
>>122173098
It's for the best, it's horrible when you arrive and start preparing for a 10/10 on the scale of Fun, and arrive on a 1/10.
>>
File: ImAGoddamnAxeLordNow.png (226KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ImAGoddamnAxeLordNow.png
226KB, 1920x1080px
>>122168185
Jesus this is the most dangerous battle I've had with a demon in a long time.

Skinny scaly sheepbitch. I was a professional axedorf from character creation, got a couple exp from sneaking up and beheading a Roc, and I'm an axelord now just from this sheepbitch and her minions.

The grey shit everywhere is her blood.
>>
File: JesusFuckbatsThatWasAbsurd.png (234KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
JesusFuckbatsThatWasAbsurd.png
234KB, 1920x1080px
>>122173498
FINALLY, FUCK YOU SHEEPBITCH!

Only thing more annoying is webbers, and I'd rather just ignore them.
>>
File: 802.jpg (79KB, 600x816px) Image search: [Google]
802.jpg
79KB, 600x816px
>>122151678
This is for you, Anon.

Seriously, the only commonly occuring crashes in vanilla DF are the nemesis crash(rare as shit) and the building-next-to-trees crash(easy to avoid).

If you experience crashes that "happen all the time", it's most likely due to some third party utility you're using, and can't be blamed on the Toad.
>>
File: 1304286452822.png (281KB, 754x723px) Image search: [Google]
1304286452822.png
281KB, 754x723px
>>122178428
Are there crashes associated with The Rapist specifically?

I always pause the game before mucking about with it, but I've never been terribly cautious about a risk of it crashing DF.
>>
File: SomethingWrongHere.png (253KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SomethingWrongHere.png
253KB, 1920x1080px
Uhhhhhhh.

>find world-gen fort to check and see if the tiles I lightened worked out right
>heading down the ramp to find some soldier dorf down in the deeper fort
>You have discovered an expansive underground cavern.
>You have discovered a volcano.

>Well, that's interesting, but wait, how did I discover the volcano while undergrou-
>>
>>122179898
You must escape downwards.
>>
>>122180486
I went down actually but it doesn't flow very fast when you're at 9.9 speed so I got bored waiting for it.
>>
>>122180912
Find something down there to help you pass the time.

Speak to people(if any) to learn about the world around you. If there are any bedrooms, claim one for yourself and fill it with things you like. Walk slower in order to pass time quicker.

Remember that real life catastrophes, no matter how deadly, are often far slower than in hollywood.
>>
File: heybuddy.gif (13KB, 878x233px) Image search: [Google]
heybuddy.gif
13KB, 878x233px
wew lads, that was touch and go. forgot i even had a cage trap there. what should i do with this beast?
>>
So when im trying to build im advfort it prompts me for the material 0/1 but I cant select anything despite wood/stone being right next to it. Also getting errors in the cmd as well
>>
>>122183001
train it and eat its eggs to start with, I guess
and check legends mode to see if your world has multiple dragons
>>
Tileset list where?
>>
>>122192016
Looks like there are multiple dragons still. How do I harvest eggs safely?
>>
>>122194417
tame it as best you can from its cage, then pasture it in a room designated as a training zone (with a nest box), and make sure you have an animal trainer around with very few other duties.
>>
File: 1236120019813.jpg (226KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1236120019813.jpg
226KB, 1000x1000px
>>122194263
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Tileset_repository

Been a while since we had to do this.
>>
File: barn owl.jpg (24KB, 367x465px) Image search: [Google]
barn owl.jpg
24KB, 367x465px
>Rít most often takes the form of a male barn owl and is associated with chaos, war, fortresses, the weather, the sky, the sun, fire, and metals.
That pretty much covers everything, doesn't it? who needs the other gods
>>
So, is there an updated therapist for the new version of DF?
>>
I want Dwarvus Romanus 40.24
>>
>>122197260
Why woudln't there be? It was released ages ago.
>>
Dwarves won't dump items marked for dumping in Garbage zone
Tried to mark them again and replace the garbage zone, didn't work. Items aren't marked forbidden
I have plenty of dwarves with Refuse Hauling on, but no one does it. Even when I make a dwarf only have that labor, he simply shows up as "No Job"

halp
>>
>>122199168
Because the one in the thread doesn't work the most recent DF version?
>>
>>122199479
Then just use google.
>>
>>122199270
Are these items outside?

o, r, o
>>
>>122199703
Boy and that leads me straight back to the thread.
Are people here using an older version of DF, or did they tweak it to get it to work?
>>
File: 1244121295763.jpg (254KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1244121295763.jpg
254KB, 800x800px
>>122196308
What if the Moon gets pissy and fucks your shit up with weredwarves?
>>
>Get bored
>Mine deep and unleash the clowns
>Fort manages to kill a lot of them but eventually collapses
>Realize that I just unleashed hell on earth

Oh god, what have I done.
>>
>>122199990
Are you /sure/ you have DF 40.24?
Because that's what the therapist I have and it works.
>>
File: 1254284226886.png (20KB, 362x378px) Image search: [Google]
1254284226886.png
20KB, 362x378px
>>122200612
My design philosophy lately has focused on securing the fortress from the surface and the caverns with the same defensive system.

So when I breach the clown-car, the whole mess is able to bypass the fortress almost entirely and start fucking with the surface world. I like to think of the hordes of clowns as a most effective and pro-active defense system.
>>
My install runs always at 99% CPU Power.

Is it right? Or No?
>>
File: 1254282838673.jpg (580KB, 850x646px) Image search: [Google]
1254282838673.jpg
580KB, 850x646px
>>122202678
>my install

At this point, we're not even sure you in the right thread, it's Slaves to Armok 2 you're playing, right?
>>
File: FuckingCatGotIntoTheGoop.png (298KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FuckingCatGotIntoTheGoop.png
298KB, 1920x1080px
>>122182621
Yeah, but we're talking about matrix type speeds here. Though due to the way bolts work in adventurer mode even though I should be able to see them I can't.

Being able to pluck a bolt out of the air and stick it into someone will be pretty damn cool.
>>
>>122204579
Can't you do that, though? High observation skill lets you do all kinds of cool shit with preojectiles. The most common is simply batting them out of the air(but only if you're not using a shield), but I also remember having an adventurer in .34 catch a bolt with his teeth.
>>
Holy shit a new AV release is out.
>>
>>122206158
AV?
>>
>>122170443
Banished is pretty relaxing. The only real stress comes when you can't get enough food or firewood and everyone slowly dies over winter. The occasional tornado. But no invaders or anything like that. It's nice, but don't expect an intricate simulation or anything.
>>
Wizard here.

ask me anything
>>
>>122206282
Armok Vision. It's a terrific 3d visualiser. Better than any earlier ditto.
>>
File: ASurvivor.png (155KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ASurvivor.png
155KB, 1920x1080px
>>122205568
If it happens it is automatic.

You can bat them out of the air while holding a shield too, you just default to the shield generally.

I mean being able to see them flying through the air and run up and grab it directly.
>>
>>122205568
>I also remember having an adventurer in .34 catch a bolt with his teeth
You're misremembering, that isn't a thing that can happen. You could've gotten shot in the face and had the bolt embed, I guess. Observer didn't even exist .34.11.
>>
Is there any way to influence what dwarves make their statues/engravings?

One of my dwarves recently prevented some Fun by quickly despatching of a minotaur all alone (despite not being all that skilled)

I'd love a statue of it.
>>
>>122206454
Could you kill me overnight?
>>
File: WishICouldRecruitThatImp.png (229KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WishICouldRecruitThatImp.png
229KB, 1920x1080px
>>122207646
The only thing doable is using dfhack. If there is a listed art image of the historical event you can change the statue with gm-editor directly, if there isn't an image of the event you could add one with a script that I've been meaning to write but always forget to get around to.

>>122206914
Next week can not get here any earlier, my integrated graphics start to cough when I load up AV, got a new card on the way to replace the old dead one (hence the integrated) and then I'll try to get the CLA animals and dapper dorfs imported into AV. :D
>>
>>122207904
Anon, I really like your tileset.

Are you up for a challenge?

Make it 16x16

Maybe something harder?

10x10
>>
>>122207590
Are you fucking kidding m8? I remember using all the exploits that were still in by then to max my adventurers' skills, and how I sought out tombs JUST so I could use their traps to train observer. The skill was obviously in by then.

I might have misremembered about the catching arrows with teeth part, though.
>>
>>122206454
If dem niggas would have said "our lives matter" then people could have joined them without feeling retarded

but its hard to think straight when you drink purple drank constantly
>>
File: Zoombie.png (300KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Zoombie.png
300KB, 1920x1080px
>>122208525
Thanks, believe it or not it is the curses_640x300 with some smoothing and the shading, I think I already did a smaller version of it though: >>122038331

Not sure how well the smoothing would work with that one though.
>>
>>122208905
Go away, we don't care what colour the humans are unless we're checking their profession.
>>
>>122209036
What about the fancy dorfs and other races? I DEMAND elves with turbans
>>
File: CursesDapperKids.png (13KB, 288x288px) Image search: [Google]
CursesDapperKids.png
13KB, 288x288px
>>122209270
I have no clue how to make a turban. T.T

I forget if I did a smaller one of the dapper races or not.

These should size down properly to the 16x24 since it's just a 2x.

http://pastebin.com/0YHebbNK
>>
Whats some fun ideas to do in advfort?
>>
>>122209668
30 odd degree angle, 3 pixel wide bands, start from an arbitrary little knot on the top and then layer the bands over each other alternating left and right, and at the brow do one horizontal under them to give them a flat base.

You'll probably only get a couple of layers given the space you have to work with, but it'll give the look you're after.
>>
>>122209810
Giant Magma-barfing dorf face on the side of a volcano.

Dig out the stone, build workshops to make blocks, make magma forges/steel, steal an anvil from a dorf fortress (deconstruct one of the world-gen ones) if you have to, and remove the hard_materials line from detail wall in advfort.lua so you can engrave the whole thing.
>>
>>122210005
I'll poke at it some when I wake up more and see if I can get them working. I didn't bother with making the humans dapper because I can't figure out how to make a lord/lady show up with the right tile yet.
>>
>>122210072
Whats the hard line do?
>>
File: 1291659924210.jpg (139KB, 796x645px) Image search: [Google]
1291659924210.jpg
139KB, 796x645px
>>122210217
Humans aren't dapper, they're scruffy little fuckheads, make them with underpants in their heads/faces.
>>
File: sigh.png (16KB, 642x327px) Image search: [Google]
sigh.png
16KB, 642x327px
Should I keep this for shit and giggles and !!FUN!! or try to make it only do-able with iron because realism?
>>
File: 1444822282757.png (18KB, 527x410px) Image search: [Google]
1444822282757.png
18KB, 527x410px
>>122210425
>underpants in their heads/faces
>>
>>122210432
>Wood pistol
>>
File: 1258578935773.jpg (49KB, 571x556px) Image search: [Google]
1258578935773.jpg
49KB, 571x556px
>>122210836
Apologies if I demeaned any Kobolds by my association, obviously humans aren't going to be able to wear panties with such noble grace as a Kobold.
>>
>>122211157
It's retarded, I know, but I think it's hard-coded so all ranged weapons always have a wooden and bone version.

It sucks, and I'm searching a way to fix it.
>>
>>122211472
Just stop your entity from using bowyer shops. There should be tokens for which workshops they're allowed to use. Otherwise, just forbid them from having bowyers altogether.
>>
File: blarfghlblurgh.gif (2MB, 690x540px) Image search: [Google]
blarfghlblurgh.gif
2MB, 690x540px
>>122210246
That's how I engraved the blocks I built this with, as an example.

>>122210425
Well I'd want the nobles to show up with bowler hats or something at least. Part of why I didn't do the full dapper thing with these, besides having the graphics be the same outline as the letter (live goblin by the g from a dead one, live elf by the e from a dead one, etc) was that the only time I encountered the human nobles was if they were at a different site, bums me out that I can't make lords and ladies show up right.

I suppose I could just add the monarch position and call them lord/lady and that might work fine.

>>122210432
Yeah, normal wood and bone don't make sense with that really. Copper/Iron/Bronze/Steel/Candy firearms are enough of a range, and copper is pushing it as is, though I suppose there were stone and bamboo and wood cannons at various points, so eh.
>>
>>122212180
>not having the lava spell out "fuck elves"
>>
>>122212005
Oh god, why didn't I think of that.

I better go get some rest, stayed awake all night at work and I'm fucked up mentally and physically.
>>
>>122212180
>with bowler hats

Brings immediately to mind Terry Pratchett's verruca fairy, I think it was "Bowler hat screwed on so tight it gave him the appearance of an angry malignant wingnut".

I'm all behind that, it'll make them look like tight-arsed little bureaucrats, it'll fit quite nicely with humans bullshit sieges IMO.
>>
>>122003494
>invaders are programmed to seek and destroy engraved walls above all else, then tunnel to the side of any river or volcano to flood your base and then die

ALLAH AKBAR
>>
File: ThinkTheImpDied.png (267KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ThinkTheImpDied.png
267KB, 1920x1080px
>>122213129
I had a fire imp do that, got beheaded by a couple zombies and when it blew up the flames melted some of the glacier and encased both of them. :D

I only knew this because I saw the combat reports, a weird new extension of ice, and a fire imp head laying nearby.

>>122212269
>not having the lava spell out "feulcvkes"

>>122212510
Oh, now I'm sad thinking about the fact that I'll never see a new Discworld book. T.T Thanks anon, thanon.
>>
>>122208842
Fuck, you're right about observer. It just got new functionality in .40, the whole bit with seeing/catching incoming attacks and avoiding 'attack from behind' penalties. My mistake.
>>
>>122213561
>I'll never see a new Discworld book

This is in many ways a great thing, despite the sorrow of our loss.

My favourite series of books is Dune, the books we got after he was dead were frequently regrettable.
>>
Tfw no lord garithos caste
>>
File: RobberyGoneWrong1.png (173KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
RobberyGoneWrong1.png
173KB, 1920x1080px
>>122213678
Catching attacks, btw, is such a badass moment.
>>
>>122207695

Yes.

Sorry about the late reply truth be told I'm having some issues controlling the time fluctuation when using the portal to my library.

Everything seems to always even out in the end, it seems, next time I step through I'll have gone back. I already told myself this earlier.

However, killing you in particular might be difficult. This whole internet thing is a little too mundane.
>>
>>122213561
>now I'm sad thinking about the fact that I'll never see a new Discworld book.
Fuck no.

Discworld was my gateway drug into entering my fedora phase(which I luckily made it out of as I entered college), wasting my high school years being an anime-watching, reactionary loser.
>>
>>122214661
Then nuke the entire western europe.
Only way to be sure.
>>
File: jthm.gif (1MB, 4500x3170px) Image search: [Google]
jthm.gif
1MB, 4500x3170px
>>122214753
Without it you would have been a far less self-aware fedorawearing cunt, imagine if you'd gravitated towards something that wasn't making fun of it's source material.

Pic related, my drug of salvation.
>>
File: SL_DEFCONrps.jpg (45KB, 600x349px) Image search: [Google]
SL_DEFCONrps.jpg
45KB, 600x349px
>>122215097
>>
>>122214753
A hat is a matter of taste, if you like a hat, you wear it, find me a hat I like the look of I'll wear it... well, besides baseball caps. Nobody over 6 should wear one... oh and cowboy hats, as a Texan I have a slight drawl and I just can't give in to the stereotype //that// much.

Not sure what Discworld has to do with the fedora thing though, did the picture of the author in one influence you so much that you went all m'lady or something?

Only thing I got from Discworld is a love of Death.
>>
I noticed I can engrave slabs for various enemies I have slain, including things like Minotaurs

Is it also possible to make a tomb for enemies such as humans, etc?
>>
File: 1311831417200.png (97KB, 640x3064px) Image search: [Google]
1311831417200.png
97KB, 640x3064px
>>122216078
I'm just guessing on his behalf here; but I suspect it's something of the atheist enlightenment giving him a perceived edge over his peers. Terry was always breaking down faith and religion, the lies-to-children (Science of Discword was brilliant) and such, deconstructing society is very laudable but it can be poorly recieved if you're at the wrong stage of development or whatever. An edge I believe he would have had for the record, but his peers did not, which always leads to cringeworthy memories.

Personally I'd found Pratchett via Douglas Adams, so I was too busy embracing the joyous absurdity of the perspective it gave me to do anything relevant with it, and I was already an annoying pretentious cunt throughout school so I had nothing to lose by then.
>>
>Use another person's language files for my Victorian mod
>Modified half of them
>Check the other half
>I find words such as PISS, SLUT, BITCH, SHIT and more

Holy shit, I never laughed this hard.

I refuse to remove them.
>>
File: Kek.png (147KB, 1280x775px) Image search: [Google]
Kek.png
147KB, 1280x775px
>>122218317
>>
File: Haha17zWaterfallBeatsCarp.png (215KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Haha17zWaterfallBeatsCarp.png
215KB, 1920x1080px
Heh, forgot about that.

I saw a really deep waterfall and jumped it, then I noticed a carp with the light blue in flight color and checked the bottom.

>>122216903
I've made them for wagons.

>>122217475
I mean the fedora thing, I've got a couple I like, but I've had them for years and years and years now, it's just another hat. Confused where the link between Discworld -> m'lady-fedora-wearing came from, though I guess the "I feel so smart after reading this" could contribute to that.

Should read something harder than Pratchett to feel all full of yourself though, like Baxter, or Baxter+Pratchett like The Long Earth series.
>>
>>122218501
Fuck, started me coughing again goddammit VictoriAnon!
>>
File: Graceful dwarf.png (72KB, 1600x1010px) Image search: [Google]
Graceful dwarf.png
72KB, 1600x1010px
>>122218742
>I mean the fedora thing

I'm taking 'the fedora thing' to mean the stereotyped way of thinking, rather than the headwear. I'd have a great deal of trouble explaining the link if he means the headwear, I'll still give it a shot but I'm not very confident of my results arguing from such ignorance.

I did enjoy the Long Earth, but the ending was really flat for me, I don't want to say it was a lack of an antagonist because the story really didn't suit one. It just seems like everyone saw reason at the end and they all lived happily ever after, it wasn't very satisfying for me.

I don't think I suit headwear, I went through a brief bandanna period while I was still working out how I wanted my hair to offend people, now the only hat I have is a very nice Top hat my sister bought me. It's nice to pretentiously place myself a level above those pretentious fedora wearers.
>>
File: xeelee.jpg (37KB, 534x477px) Image search: [Google]
xeelee.jpg
37KB, 534x477px
>>122219636
Hey, if I had a nice tophat I'd grow a big moustache and oil up nicely. Fuck what anyone else thinks, style is about confidence.

I think I've only read up to The Long Mars, I might have started The Long Utopia but I got distracted when I was trying to migrate over to Plasma Next from kdebase but it wasn't stable enough so I did some house cleaning.

Have you read the Stone Spring/Bronze Summer books? Those are fascinating, as was Longtusk and the rest.

Naturally I am a diehard Xeelee Sequence fan, though if I'm feeling too happy I like to go through the Manifold books again.

I think reading Exultant inspired me to make this, one of the first things I made in GIMP which I was proud of.
>>
>>122216903
It is. However, the slab will for some reason be made out of the enemy's home civ's POV, and since they don't know about the fate of their soldiers, the slab will simply say that they've gone missing.
>>
File: 631.x600.mr.thirlwell.prev.jpg (77KB, 600x605px) Image search: [Google]
631.x600.mr.thirlwell.prev.jpg
77KB, 600x605px
>>122220347
>Have you read the Stone Spring/Bronze Summer books?

Not heard of them, are they Baxter? I'm not a terribly dedicated reader, but I do love working my mind through some hard sci-fi. I only read the Long Earth because the missus picked it up and raved about it.

I'm just a slutty fanboy for Dune, each time I come back to it I discover new facets of the messages, lessons or stories, I even enjoyed reading his son's abominations against literature just to more fully explore the space his father had outlined. But that's a reflection of my somewhat unhealthy attitudes to music in many ways; love the familiar and cherish stuff that takes years to get old.
>>
>>122220935
They're alternate history by Baxter about Doggerland, the region between England and Denmark which was submerged at the end of the ice age.

The Xeelee books are hard-as-slade sci-fi, as are the Manifold books.

If you do read the latter, Manifold: Time is kinda the first (and I made my own head-canon that our universe is a result of the events at the end of that book which isn't really a spoiler because I didn't explain it but still), then Manifold: Space, Origin, and the Phase Space short stories collection.

Space, I should warn you, is soul-crushing, like the most depressing fucking revelation ever, which I won't even spoiler. Though it kinda works out ultimately, it's still far from a happy ending.

Vacuum Diagrams is a good spot to jump into the Xeelee stories, though it is interesting to do so through Flux or Raft.

Coalescent doesn't seem like one at first, but Exultant, Transcendent, and Resplendent carry the thread nicely and are amazing as a series.

I'm still sure that Exultant would make a fucking amazing anime.

Oh, and if you can track it down, check out Starfall.
>>
>>122222705
Given that I have a hilariously poor memory and little ambition for reading, what's the one you'd suggest to a Dune fanboy who is cool with unsatisfying endings?
>>
File: PartyDownEverybody.png (251KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PartyDownEverybody.png
251KB, 1920x1080px
>>122225958
I don't know much about Dune, but if I was going to pick somewhere to start the Xeelee books I'd just go with Vacuum Diagrams, since it has excerpts from a few of the other books, and you'll figure out if you fucking love it and must have more or not pretty quick.
>>
File: HappyLittleDorfs.png (336KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HappyLittleDorfs.png
336KB, 1920x1080px
>>122227857
Man, I made a kennel and then remembered that you just assign a zone for training.

Also I think I screwed up something with burrows.

The dorfs respect the military alert burrow properly, but if I disable it they won't do jobs outside of it.

So basically Cathelms sits on high alert non-stop and they just go about partying and whatnot.
>>
I want to try Adventure mode

Are there any must-have mods?
>>
>>122229243
None
>>
>>122229243
Wanderer's Friend, WanderLust, Adventurecraft, DF Wanderer.
>>
>>122227857
I'll check that out.

If you're the autist I think you are, please check out Dune.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mentat

Sorry for going off topic everyone, but it's not like anything else was happening. And it's FFFFriday the 13th too, I expect all the cool neckbears are out playing magic the woodland pooping adventure.
>>
>>122229535
The 3 of them at the same time?

Sorry if I'm being retarded, I never played Adventure Mode before
>>
>>122229852
See;
>>122178428

Play it without mods first, at least so you know what the game is like without them.
>>
New player here, playing mostly guide-less(thesuffering), was wonder if there was a way to see which Dwarfs were doing things and which weren't
>>
>>122232110
press j and/or u
>>
>>122232224
Oh, thanks
>>
>>122232314
They're useful for different stuff. I use u if I need to check what a specific dwarf is doing and j to check if a specific job is being done.
>>
>>122232110
>>122232224
>>122232314
>>122232515
Once you have a Manager you can use (j) and then (m) I believe to have jobs done without manually telling dorfs what to do.

To get a manager, press (n) for the nobles menu. Select "manager" and then choose the best suited dorf, next to their names should be a list of skills. Choose the one with the most positive adjectives. Once you have a manager assigned, dig out a 3x3 room and put a table and chair inside. Press (q) and then place your cursor over the chair. Press enter to make the room a study or office, and press (a) I think to assign your manager to the office.

Good luck, anon. I'm still pretty new to this to but I've been reading the guide.
>>
>>121984017
use floodgates and pump machines, create fake gate, create bridge for main door of dungeon, dron the attackers, no problem no kills
>>
File: 1224618049167.jpg (108KB, 800x701px) Image search: [Google]
1224618049167.jpg
108KB, 800x701px
>>122240032
>dron the attackers

I'm building ahead for the next release, so you're basically telling me that people in the tavern, inn, nightclub and hospital will be ok with watching people drown.

I'd been planning for them to be pincushioned with crossbows.
>>
New fort
>>
>>122243435
>underground with glass walls
>nightclub
>all around are enemies drowning
10/10 I'd go
>>
>>122243435
are you sure saves on 40.24 will be compatible with the next release? there's a pretty good chance raw changes will be involved, given the tag additions and changes to minor races that can visit your fort
>>
>>122244660
Yeah, last I heard (some time ago) was that it would be technically compatible but that a huge number of the new features simply wouldn't exist on a world from a previous version
Seems like starting a new fort will be a better idea to me even if that hasn't changed
>>
File: DF_Biome_Distribution.png (66KB, 1696x1456px) Image search: [Google]
DF_Biome_Distribution.png
66KB, 1696x1456px
>>122229852
Oh sorry, no I meant any one of them as they all offer similar flavors of content: adventurer mode crafting, making armor out of your kills, some buffing items made from kills, decorating gear, and so forth.

>>122229637
I started the first one up years ago but it just didn't catch hold of me.
>>
I should probably set up a necrobacon factory, if this guy feels like waking up and wandering into the traps that will be four necros I've got now.
>>
New player here again, is there a way to move things like beds/chairs around without having to deal with the hauling menu?
>>
File: WhichDorfEyesAreBest.png (20KB, 869x869px) Image search: [Google]
WhichDorfEyesAreBest.png
20KB, 869x869px
>>122248095
What you mean stockpiles?

stock[p]ile > f[u]rniture or custom se[t]tings > enable/disable which stuff you want in that pile.

>>122210005
I tried and tried and suck at it.

Was playing with the eyes a bit though since I accidentally killed a pixel on one and it looked neat, used that to vary the races up a bit so humans look happy/dumb, elves look sneaky/slutty, goblins look happy/sneaky, trying to figure out what to do with the wardorf eyes.
>>
>>122252651
Well I set a burrow up, and I want to put a chair, table, and bed in there, but I don't want ALL the chairs and tables in there, so should I use make a one tile stock pile for all of those items?
>>
>>122252805
OH!

I got ya, you're really new, cool cool.

What you want to do is [b]uild a [t]able and [b]ed and [c]hair.
>>
>>122253015
naw naw, see I already have a bunch made, I just wanna know how to move them around without the dwarfs putting ALL of them in one room, like if I could go *move this chair/table/bed over here*
>>
>>122253134
Yeah, you have them get made at a workshop, but you actually set them up for use by [b]uilding them.
>>
>>122253305
Oooh, thanks.

Goddamn Ikea.
>>
>>122253134
Yeah that's what he's talking about. "(b)uild" in this case means more like, "set up"/ place something that was actually constructed before
>>
File: GottaBuildThemAfterMakingThem.png (217KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GottaBuildThemAfterMakingThem.png
217KB, 1920x1080px
>>122253134
You can also e[x]pand the list of items to build a specific item somewhere.
>>
>>122252651
I went with the macedorf eyes because they show up best at smaller resolutions.
>>
File: god of gods.png (36KB, 1364x109px) Image search: [Google]
god of gods.png
36KB, 1364x109px
>>122196308
And he does art, too. not bad for a bird
>>
File: PlayingWithTileMagicIdeas.png (330KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PlayingWithTileMagicIdeas.png
330KB, 1920x1080px
>>122259051
An owl doing engravings. Heck of a thing.

So I was playing around with some tilemagic ideas, figuring out how to get certain effects.

Need to figure out how to blend it into the wall but it came out kinda neat, more "tilemagic-y" than the translucent black by itself was at least.
>>
Anyone get this advfort bug when you are stuck at 10 ticks? Only happens to building workshops
>>
File: BlendedItIntoTheWalls.png (381KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BlendedItIntoTheWalls.png
381KB, 1920x1080px
>>122262861
Tap your wait key? Does it stay stuck permanently? Is the game frozen or just stuck on 10 but you're still blinking and whatnot like normal?

Do you have the newest version of advfort?

Sometimes I get the pause in the countdown and you just gotta poke the short or long wait key.
>>
File: 1281050607237.gif (2KB, 259x347px) Image search: [Google]
1281050607237.gif
2KB, 259x347px
>>122259051
But what is he engraving?

DAE think DF skimps on the details too much?
>>
File: Curses+1.png (28KB, 512x768px) Image search: [Google]
Curses+1.png
28KB, 512x768px
>>122266605
>There is no sunlight when you are dead.

>His left lung is bruised. His pancreas is crushed.

>Here we have a hammer lord in a slurry of tears and vomit.

>Urist McSoandso's right upper rear tooth.

>You smash the faggy treefucker in the upper body with your +silver war hammer+ bruising the muscle and smashing the left floating ribs!
>>
>>122267592
>You get stuck in the web
>You vomit, and pieces of the vomit gets stuck in the web
>>
File: Curses+1Cathelms.png (369KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Curses+1Cathelms.png
369KB, 1920x1080px
>>122268930
>The vomit disappears into the eerie glowing pit.
>>
What is some interesting race to play as aside from dorfs and elves?

Any race-specific challenge aside from the ones in the wiki?
>>
Begone page 10!
>>
>>122276860
It was inevitable.
>>
>>122278930
It's for the best.
>>
File: ManThinking.jpg (31KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
ManThinking.jpg
31KB, 500x333px
Does /dfg/ have any running jokes?
>>
>>122279212
All of the ebin bay12 memes
>>
File: Curses+2.png (22KB, 384x576px) Image search: [Google]
Curses+2.png
22KB, 384x576px
>>122267592
Redid a 24x36 version of it but it is frustrating because it isn't big enough to do the @ monocle properly.
>>
>Read al the cool as fuck stories about dorf
>Make a fort
>Get bored after the first migrant wave because I lack the imagination to do anything interesting

Kill me now
>>
File: Terrifying.png (5KB, 717x85px) Image search: [Google]
Terrifying.png
5KB, 717x85px
>>122280701
Adventure mode?
>>
>>122280701
In addition to what the other guy said, read through legends mode (with legends viewer as well), get a feeling of the world, its history and inhabitants. Maybe you get an idea that way.
There could be some lucky warrior or a peasant that rose to become a king only to be dethroned by an usurper. Maybe you want to help him. Or build a fortress next to a demon lair and create it with the specific purpose of defeating him.
>>
>>122280701
Make the game harder for you like embarking in a sinister glacier. You'll forgo imagining what the dining hall should look like for pure survival and the rest should come naturally.
>>
If I make 3x3 stairs with a wall in the middle(Basically a 3x3 hollow square) will I have the same lag problems 3x3 stairs supposedly give?

Or should I just use ramps?
>>
>>122263469
Time keeps going buts its stuck at 10 since the construct gets frozen after I hit .

Dunno why but it happens at random and I have to force close and reopen my save.
>>
>>122272715
Making your own races is fun. Playing as a snakeman is cool as well for bite attacks.
>>
>>122283356
Pros use 9x9 stairs where the inner ring is replaced with a 3-wide ramp block. That's really the only way you can fully comply with the Dwarven Disability Act. Many differently-abled dwarves or dwarf-allies prefer to alternate between ramp and stair depending on how they self-identify on a particular z-level.
>>
File: CursesComparo.gif (603KB, 1325x1080px) Image search: [Google]
CursesComparo.gif
603KB, 1325x1080px
>>122283704
Oh, there's an easier way than that.

Type devel/pop-screen and it will kill the advfort interface without killing the game.

Sounds like you might be on an older version of advfort, I had that a few versions back but not in a while. I get the occasional timer-hang but it keeps going when you step time forward again.

What specifically were you building?

>>122280596
>>122267592
I am happy with the set and no longer feel the need to fiddle around and change shit on it.

Feelsgoodman.
>>
>>122283356
Still 8 tiles instead of 9.
How many layers do you have anyway? Any auxiliary staircases?
Why not 2x2? Either as small square or the corners of a 3x3 only.
>>
>>122283356
3x3 doesn't create massive lag problems, it's just that dwarves don't (or very rarely) use the central stair so the little bit of extra pathfinding it necessitates has no payoff. realistically you don't even need 8 tiles of stairs unless you have a very populous fort, I usually go for a 1x3 or 2x2
>>
>>122285093
>>122285079

All the designs I have in mind require a 3x3 central staircase
>>
>>122285179
see
>>122285079
>or the corners of a 3x3 only
>>
>>122285291
And a waterfall in the central square
>>
Good music to listen to while playing dorf fort?
>>
>>122287191
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6FXeupOp04
>>
File: DwarfFortressThrowing.jpg (180KB, 516x1722px) Image search: [Google]
DwarfFortressThrowing.jpg
180KB, 516x1722px
>>122243435
>so you're basically telling me that people in the tavern, inn, nightclub and hospital will be ok with watching people drown.

I'm pretty sure dwarves adore that shit. I once had a fort where the dining room had a huge vertical shaft above it lined with spikes, such that I could throw prisoners down it and they'd get mauled on the way down and splatter on the grating at the bottom, bathing the dining room with their blood. My dwarves went fucking crazy for that shit.

This was also many versions ago I suppose. Maybe they don't revel in death the way they used to?
>>
>>122287191
For adventuring: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXbTXfoloNc
>>
>>122287191
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZKfcZ2VvEk
>>
File: 1299682065452.png (51KB, 639x534px) Image search: [Google]
1299682065452.png
51KB, 639x534px
>>122288132
>my dwarves watching people drown while they imagine your nefarious devices

I'm sure they'll learn to love it after a while.
>>
I'm surprised this game is so popular yet there's so little reviews of it on kiketube.
>>
>>122288429
Because
>It's not finished
>Who the fuck watches YouTube for video reviews
>So many people play this game because it is good
>>
>>122288429
>Implying Youtube reviews automatically make a game popular or good/bad

Kill yourself my man
>>
>>122288764
Nigga did I say that?
I was just wondering why it didn't have much of a presence their despite its popularity. I was stupid for asking that, I should've realized most would get bored watching a bunch of symbols run around the screen for a few moments where interesting things happen.
>>
>>122288429
>implying /dfg/ isn't just like five persons, including MaxTM

On another note: how the fuk did I fail to select 2fish when doing the captcha?
>>
>>122288429
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xoCnLIzu9o
>>
>>122288975
Remember when we joked about having to open up to Rimworld to sustain ourselves?
>>
>>122284792
ah thanks. do you have a link to a latest advfort download? Can't find any
>>
File: 1405035013205.png (659KB, 1000x958px) Image search: [Google]
1405035013205.png
659KB, 1000x958px
Alright faggots, describe the lore of your world RIGHT now.
>>
>>122289858
Humans, goblins, and dwarves have all been fighting against the elven menace since the immemorial (~200 years)
Dwarves are scattered, humans are restricted to small villages and hamlets, and the goblins are on the wrong side of a mountain range to engage in much more than the occasional skirmish with the pointy-eared animal-consorting menace.
Most dwarven art relates to fighting elves or to getting eaten by forgotten beasts.
But at least the dwarves have a pretty neat god watching over them from the skies >>122196308
>>
>send in squad to check out cavern
>only 3 out of 5 of the axedwarves show up because the others are sleeping
>encounter troll
>read description
>"shit that sounds terrifying, better be careful"
>troll rushes one soldier, the other soldiers completely ignore this
>get worried
>troll drops down dead seconds later
Turns out he systematically removed the troll's limbs with lightning speed
>>
>>122292363
yeah, FBs with gas/dust/fire aside, most "dangerous" cave creatures are really only a threat to civilians
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwWlhe6ckyE Adventure Mode jams
>>
>>122289858
Everyone is dead but megabeasts, titans, and other spooky shit and some human outsiders.
Hella fun son.
>>
Hey, kids, wanna hear something cool?
Adamantium Sponges
>>
>>122294121
>using obsolete memes
Didn't you hear, Anon? Pulping mechanics made sponges easy as heck to kill.
>>
>>122285593
I do this on every fort. Grates in the center and I make a river go through it and drain into the first cavern layer. Shit's dank.
>>
I named my adventurer "Murder Death, The Disemboweler of Worlds".

Wish him luck in his attempt to murder everything
>>
>>122287191
Try some ASMR instead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCrqseY6bps
>>
File: ARCHON_DELAINE.gif (228KB, 741x627px) Image search: [Google]
ARCHON_DELAINE.gif
228KB, 741x627px
>>122296307
>>
>>122296443
I tried to give him the edgiest name possible
>>
>>122296196
where were you when anons fps died?
>>
>>122297087
50 stories below the surface dodging an empty minecart that flew off a poorly designed track, and wondering why we were bothering to extract all of this garnierite in the first place
it was terrifying
>>
>>122297087
I keep < 80 pop Dwarf forts so that helps but fps is not an issue. Is there a way we can share fort layouts? I remember there being a website the you could upload your fort to and you could navigate said fort through the website. Is that still a thing?
>>
>>122279212
hrlm is plsmpd
>>
>>122297339
The map archive? Yep, it's still there:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/
>>
How do I select a unit in adventure mode so I can use dfhack with it?
>>
>>122297968
>http://mkv25.net/dfma/
That's the ticket. Thanks.
>>
>>122299280
http://mkv25.net/dfma/map-12552-quakefenced
Judge me.
>>
File: mcbarde.jpg (78KB, 1096x496px) Image search: [Google]
mcbarde.jpg
78KB, 1096x496px
don't die
>>
I put a chair and a bed in a burrow, and now my dwarves keep bringing "Plump helmet spawn" to the chair, why is this?
>>
>>122306280
One spawn at a time? They're probably sitting on the chair to eat.
>>
>>122307025
Oh, but they usually just leave them there, there is a stack of them now.

Unless they don't eat it all?
>>
>>122307205
They're eating plump helmets, and spitting the spawn out on the floor, I'm guessing.

What's the burrow for exactly?
>>
>>122307472
The expedition leader/manager's office
>>
I can't believe watching a bunch of ASCII characters moving around would be so fun.
>>
>>122308058
You don't need a burrow for that, burrows are for restricting dwarf's movements, just q over the chair and make a room from it, then assign it to him.
>>
>>122262861
>>122283704
You were most likely trying to build your workshop on bad terrain and it got "suspended", usually it's because some object is on the workshop's impassable tiles, so your adventurer is stuck on a loop of trying to build the workshop but failing.
If you wait long enough it usually unfreezes in my experience, you don't necessarily have to reload your save.
>>
>>122288975
That guy is a fagnut.

>>122289742
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123944.msg4104948#msg4104948

Make sure you grab the init.lua/anvil reaction/reaction other for the sites stuff, I forgot those were part of the advfort setup.

>>122289858
I wouldn't know, we've only been able to trade in like three or four of the eleven years since Cathelms was founded.

>>122298671
Whichever key you use to look around, I think it is k by default? Then when you target them hit z for status I think. My keybinds are fucked so I am unsure what the default is anymore. Having the most commonly used stuff on the lefthand keys with movement/page scrolling/etc on the numpad and lots of abusing ctrl/alt/shift combos makes it hard to remember what it used to be.
>>
So uh, is Adventure Mode unplayable cause it crashes every time I try to travel or sleep
>>
>>122312174
>being a MaxTM in denial
>>
>>122312637
Gotta disable twbt, I hear that is why this Maxfag started rescaling tilesets in the first place, so he could have big crisp graphics despite the lack of twbt zoom features.

The change to the local travel map/zoomed out travel map seems to be at fault but it isn't clear exactly why.

>>122313163
Nobody here but us anons, and some goblins... and Frank Zappa for some reason.
>>
>>122126973
No. This is one of those wondrous self answering questions, but I couldn'[t resist.

The closer you are, and to the greater number of goblins, the more likely you are to be sieged.
>>
>>122199270
Dude, you need to enable garbage dumping as a global order. Had the exact same problem.
>>
>>122207646
yes. They make statues/engravings based off their memory and experiences. If you want cool statues and engravings, make an adventurer and do cool shit.
>>
Thinking about removing bite and scratch attacks from civilized races -- strikes me as dumb.

I mean, ever since I noticed my dwarf adventurer was carrying a human head in jis mouth, I should have thought such things should be removed.
>>
>>122300301

> Always liked the idea of using Volcano magma traps.
> Wanting to make huge above ground forts kinda makes this difficult.

Dank fort tho Urist.
>>
Why is advfort so god damn fun?

I am constructing a tomb for every enemy I slay

tips bedora
>>
>>122321121
You reminded me that the first time I tried out advfort, my starting hamlet was almost immediately attacked by a goblin raiding party. Since I was weak and naked I had to run away to the nearest keep to grab some armor and recruit a couple of guys to defend our village.
By the time we came back the little shits had already started murdering innocents.

So my very first advort task was making a cemetery plot and caskets for the fallen.
>>
File: WelcomeToTheCathelmsZombieZoo.png (360KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WelcomeToTheCathelmsZombieZoo.png
360KB, 1920x1080px
>>122321121
You feel very industrious doing the shit yourself instead of sitting back watching others do it, huh?
>>
>>122317943
Thanks. I actually had to use it on a Hill Titan that was pounding my front door down. Flooded the Depot area and got him but melted my Depot hence the Iron one you see there now.
>>
File: ToothyGoblinGrins.png (242KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
ToothyGoblinGrins.png
242KB, 1920x1080px
>>122322510
Bump with the tooty gobbos.
>>
>>122326205
loltooty

god dammit
>>
>>122322510
Advfort tingles my autusm. I really hope toady puts in a bug freemining/building aspect in adventure mode. Be cool to actually construct a castle for the sites you claim
>>
File: dorffoodweb.png (395KB, 510x628px) Image search: [Google]
dorffoodweb.png
395KB, 510x628px
Is there a changelog for the coming version, like last time?
>>
Is it just the same guy posting all the screenshots of that horrid cancerset or is it actually popular in this thread?
>>
>>122328574
My set?

I love the hell out of it, had others ask for versions without the shading but haven't seen any screenshots yet.

>>122327552
Yeah, being able to claim sites with a simpler interface will be nice too.

>>122328563
Isn't there an anon that updates the changes/time til thing or is that two people?
>>
>>122328834
Not the shading, the translucent floor tiles I meant.

It's a scaled up and smoothed version of curses_640x300 btw, so it's deeply rooted cancer.
>>
File: IMAG0748.jpg (670KB, 1520x2688px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0748.jpg
670KB, 1520x2688px
>>122328834
Im always building at caves since im lazy to remember where I saved my site in a random area
>>
>>122329193
I like smaller maps for that reason, 33x33 is a nice fun size, though the speediness of a 17x17 is addictive.

>>122328574
So just checking, do you have constructive criticism, suggestions, or whatnot?
>>
File: OhJesusTooManyRocs.png (188KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
OhJesusTooManyRocs.png
188KB, 1920x1080px
>>122331437
Guess not, ah well.
>>
File: HerHeartIsBroken.png (147KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
HerHeartIsBroken.png
147KB, 1920x1080px
>>122333279
>>
File: ;-;.png (2KB, 1005x22px) Image search: [Google]
;-;.png
2KB, 1005x22px
New player here, he's come so far in such a short time ;-; still haven't splatted my fort yet so that's good, do I just get metal by digging for ingots?
>>
can I change fishing priority?

I only have one fishfagg.
>>
>>122338414
Yeah you dig for metal ores.
>>122339141
Set a few more Dorf bros to have the fishing labor. I suggest Dwarf Therapist.
>>
File: SoFarSoGood.png (280KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
SoFarSoGood.png
280KB, 1920x1080px
>>122338414
More specifically, dig for tetrahedrite, native copper/silver/gold, galena, hematite, limonite, magnetite, and various others.

Then build a smelter (or magma smelter, weeee), forge, table, and chair.

[q]uery the table and chair and make them into rooms, assign them to a [n]oble you choose to be your manager.

Then open up the [j]obs interface and the [m]anager sub menu.

From there you can [q]ueue up new tasks.

Type smelt and it will give a selection of metal ores, pick one, type 30 and hit enter, your dorfs will automatically go smelt them when they're available now until they fulfill the order. Lather, rinse, repeat.
>>
>>122339141
I'd seriously recommend having no more than one fisherdwarf. once they start improving their skill, they'll bring in fish way faster than you can process them, and with enough going at once you might deplete the fish stocks of a body of water (I think it recovers eventually, but it's a pain in the ass)
>>
File: WellThatWasDisappointing.png (77KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WellThatWasDisappointing.png
77KB, 1920x1080px
>polar bear walks on map
>passes out due to slime
>wakes up
>heads towards zombies
>fuck yeah, zombie bear brawl
>>
>embark on serene map
>"IT IS RAINING HUMAN BLOOD!"
i bet nearby elves did this
>>
What's the best way to go about finding metals?

I embarked on a map that should have had shallow and deep but I haven't seen any at all

Next world I'm making is going to have higher mineral density
>>
>plan out a super duper amazing layout
>30mins later stll haven't started digging
>its all boxes that turned into a box
>everything is boxes
>forgot to plan out my farming area
I give up on designing. Digging and building on the fly feels more natural to me
>>
>>122359554
Design in paint before you start, and take time to mull over your plans, and you won't run into that issue.

Doing stuff on the fly is fine too, of course.
>>
If I attempt to make a river or something a stockpile, will dwarves throw shit in there without jumping in?
>>
>>122362512
No, use i to make a dump zone on the bank.

Items won't wash away though, you'll want lava to actually destroy them.
>>
>>122362837
Thanks, another question though is, I have a manager, and I was wondering what the command for, if any to make a dwarf construct something?

(Like a trade depot or a furnace)
>>
File: 23412341341234134.png (202KB, 1450x713px) Image search: [Google]
23412341341234134.png
202KB, 1450x713px
>>122363930

j > m > q
>>
>>122363930
Did you read the wiki, anon?
>>
File: trade.png (5KB, 1006x674px) Image search: [Google]
trade.png
5KB, 1006x674px
>>122364364
No, I'm already there, what I'm asking is in the menu, when I search there is nothing specifically for constructing workshops/structures/etc, so I am asking if I have to turn off his other things to get him to construct it, or if I'm looking for the wrong command
>>
>>122364827

Oh derp, you don't do that through the manager

b > w for workshops
b > D for trade depot.

Wiki is your friend, UristMcNewb
>>
File: waiting.png (94KB, 1014x691px) Image search: [Google]
waiting.png
94KB, 1014x691px
>>122364923
Naw see I already have it set up, but the dwarf hasn't made it yet, I'm wondering if I can order him to make it now, instead of later.
>>
>>122365035

Make sure you have a dorf with the Architect labor enabled, it's under the 'other jobs' labor
>>
>>122365112
It is, he's stockpiling wood now, so I'm wondering if I have to turn stockpiling off for the dwarf so he'll do it
>>
>>122365035
Nigga, that Depot is unreachable for the merchants.

You need 3 tile wide tunnels for them to cross.
>>
>>122365035
It's a good idea to include screenshots when you're asking us for help, as you've just discovered, it's very easy to misinterpret what people are asking help with in DF.

>>122365151
That'll work, unless he's got other hauling duties, arranging who does what is an important skill in fortress management for these sorts of reasons.
>>
>>122365159
Fuck it then, putting it outside
>>
So the mist in my current fort is first casing its victims to fall asleep, then get blisters and swellings all over, and then rot.

My cat that got infected ended up dead, but I'm still not sure why. It might have been lung failure or brain rot. I wonder if a decent hospital would be able to save an infected dwarf, or if anyone who gets caught up in the cloud is doomed.

At least it's not a zombie mist.
>>
What size does /dfg/ recommend for the embarking zone?
>>
>>122368493
Many players have chosen to set it to 3x3, due to the shitty fps.

I prefer keeping the rmbark zone at 4x4, and instead reduce the number of dwarves in the init. 80-90 dwarves is just about enough for me, as it keeps the fps fresh, and still provides a rich experience. The lack of a king doesn't bother me.
>>
>>122368493
As big as you need, as small as you can.

3x3, 4x4.
>>
File: eight_layers.png (1MB, 1020x702px) Image search: [Google]
eight_layers.png
1MB, 1020x702px
>embark on a flat single-biome desert with an aquifer
>plan to use a huge cave-in method for piercing it so I can build something in the resulting hole
>tfw aquifer is EIGHT layers deep

I'm glad it's finally over. Never ever have I even seen an aquifer deeper than 3 layers in a single biome, let alone 8.

Now I just gotta decide what to build in the giant hole
>>
>>122370703
Pretty good.
You could build a pyramid on top and get a hollow cube.
>>
hey all. i need advice on how to tell how long sea ice in a cold biome will remain frozen (it seems to be variable, from never to always). this is because i'm working on building an underwater fortress by digging/constructing during the winter/frozen sea season, and holing up inside the fort during the thaw

its hard to find a good biome for it, unfortunately, and i've had flooding problems, not to mention starvation problems. i eventually had to abandon the first one after ghosts became a major issue 150 deaths and ten reclaims in
>>
>>122370949
I never understood how ghosts can become a problem in the first place.
>>
>>122371046
if you get enough of the violent kind they can seriously mess up a dwarf

in this instance i had a bunch of violent ones because every single dwarf that entered that fort died like a german submariner or else was trapped in a sealed bulkhead with no food
>>
>>122371223
Yeah, but why do you let them exist for so long?
>>
>>122371283
i couldnt go outside to place slabs because during the thaw my graveyard was underwater, and the winter wasn't long enough for me to place enough slabs. eventually i just got swamped
>>
>>122371339
>go outside to place slabs
What stopped you from placing them inside?

Also, sorry I can't help you with the sea ice question. Don't even know whether it's even dependent on anything or just random.
>>
>>122371046
If you get a lot of deaths in a short space of time, then you can get serious ghost troubles.
>>
>>122371486
because all of my dwarves were crammed into the 7x7 sealab i built on the seafloor. it's an underwater fort, as in, constructed on the seafloor. there aint no space, jack!!
>>
>>122371697
You uh, didn't build a permanent access to the surface?
That's kinda cool I guess.
>>
>>122371774
nah. the concept is that the ocean will freeze during the winter, and become diggable ice. that's when the fort expands and if necessary i can dig back up to the surface to bring in immigrants. then everyone has to hole back up in the fort for the thaw. ive set up pressure baffles (which, annoyingly, have to be cleared of ice every winter or else the chamber will flood. i'm working on a pump-based solution)

anyway though the fort was basically ungovernable after a while and im trying to find a new place. the only problem is, i need to find the perfect seasonal balance. i need it to be frozen for only a <brief> amount of time. if its frozen most of the time, can i really call it an underwater fortress? but it can't be too brief, or on the first winter i won't be able to actually build a tiny sea-hovel for the dwarves to eventually expand. it'll thaw early and they'll drown. see my problems?

i need a way to determine precisely the length of oceanic freezing from site to site.
>>
>Mod the raws and make it possible for dorfs to eat sentient beings
>They eat the elven caravan and make clothes out of their skin

I never kek'd this hard
>>
>Start adventure
>Necromancer is terrorizing town
>Walk a few tiles
>Get attacked by 10+ zombies
>Die

10/10
>>
>>122316989
If you were in a fight to the death with something twelve feet tall called 'The Nameless Spires of Burning', wouldn't you be biting, scratching, and whatever else you could do?
>>
>>122376693
>You have a sword a shitload of times sharper and dangerous than your teeth
>Urist McRetard bites the Dragon!
>>
>Embark in glacier
>Jeweler and Woodcuter die to seals

And nothing of value was lost
>>
>>122358995
Have you tried striking the earth?
>>
>>122377759
Should've brought some clubs
>>
>>122368493
2x7 masterrace
>>
File: OHSHIT.png (79KB, 1663x976px) Image search: [Google]
OHSHIT.png
79KB, 1663x976px
Uh oh unfolding
>>
What is this 0 civilization here, /dfg/?
The wiki doesn't tell me anything about it.
The neighbors tab tells me there are dwarves, elves, humans and 2 towers nearby, but all of those have other sources.
>>
>>122375458
That shit is fun! How I did the ghostventurer with my guts dragged along behind me.

>>122368493
2x1x400 or 1x2x400

I like my forts skinny and deeper than a goth philosophy major.

Oh, and filled with magma!

>>122374813
That is very kekworthy indeed!
>>
File: weird civ.png (13KB, 157x259px) Image search: [Google]
weird civ.png
13KB, 157x259px
>>122381160
forgot pic
>>
>You can't make ice crafts or anything out of ice aside from workshops and constructions

PANIC
>>
>>122381337
Not sure but isn't that just a tomb?
>>
>>122381337
Dwarf Fortress, wasn't it? Not sure. Check it out in legends viewer.
>>
>>122381337
>>122381789
It is definitly a tomb.
>>
File: 096.jpg (100KB, 474x600px) Image search: [Google]
096.jpg
100KB, 474x600px
Questions regarding armor encumbrance and training:

Is there a strategy to using new recruits with wooden/bone/leather armor at start over the heavier metals?
+ Would this depend on weapon type and the skill levels of other trainees in their squad?
+ Would dwarves with less encumbered be able to acquire more exp in a single training demonstration? More swings / actions?

For shields, is it true that a wooden shield will have the same block-ability as a metal one? When would a metal shield type be needed in training... if ever?
>>
File: gleefulmines.png (758KB, 896x496px) Image search: [Google]
gleefulmines.png
758KB, 896x496px
Here's my fort entrance, as seen in the new AV release.
>>
>>122382802
>Is there a strategy to using new recruits with wooden/bone/leather armor at start over the heavier metals?
I haven't studied this in any detail and you may be right that they avoid minor combat penalties or something by not having low armour user skill + heavy armour, but honestly once they start sparring (7-8 months into training I think) their skills will increase so fast anyway that I think it would make the whole micromanagement process more trouble than it's worth

>For shields, is it true that a wooden shield will have the same block-ability as a metal one?
yes, as far as I've seen
> When would a metal shield type be needed in training... if ever?
not in training, but metal shields carry slight advantages in actual combat, I think they'll do slightly more damage in shield bash attacks (these are infrequent) and they won't burn up in dragon/titan/FB-fire attacks (even more infrequent)
>>
Hey /dfg/ I checked the wiki but what I'm looking for is a comprehensive legend for the ascii art. I like the way it looks without a tileset but I don't have a reference to determine what everything is. Does an image exist?
>>
>>122383253
I've never seen one, I think it would be awfully unwieldy even if it existed
just make liberal use of [k], [t], and [q] to start with, you'll memorise what everything is pretty quickly
>>
>>122383204
>won't burn up in dragon/titan/FB-fire attacks
it's worth noting that the shield will only cath fire if its wearer walks on a tile with a "fire" on it. That means that the dragonfire itself will be blocked by the shield, but if it sets something else on fire, and the soldier walks on it, the shield will catch fire.
>>
>>122383686
Makes sense (well not really, but you know what I mean). But I've found that if you fight a dragon outside, every piece of vegetation on the map is going to be burning in seconds
>>
>>122383448
Alright, thanks. I might be trying to rush the "adjustment" period too quickly.
>>
>Read a lot about glacier embarks
>Decide to do it
>Start
>Lose 2 dorfs to seals
>"Oh well, shit happens"
>Strike the earth
>Or Ice?
>Use my 3 wood from the wagon to make 3 beds for my dorves
>Search for water
>Go down some z-levels
>mfw there is an atleast 3 z-level deep sea under the glacier

FUGG

I will never be capable of getting any stone this way.

And no, I won't kill my FPS by pumping this shit.
>>
File: dfcheatsheetfull.png (246KB, 780x941px) Image search: [Google]
dfcheatsheetfull.png
246KB, 780x941px
>>122383780
Yeah, if you have a shield made of ice it would block dragonfire the same as an adamantine one.

It's more of you being a badass and deflecting it around you than the shield actually stopping it.

Really badass when you are able to do it in a way that keeps people behind you safe, though that doesn't happen as often if you didn't mod them to take over sites.

"La la la, I've been here for a hundred years ruling peacefully, I love everyone here, it sure is nice being a benevolent god."

"Oh hey, a guy with a sword and shield I don't know... FUCK THAT NIGGA!"

*dragonfire everywhere*

>>122383253
http://i.imgur.com/8Q0CTGU.png

You can't play without a tileset, you're talking about a graphics set and/or twbt. The default curses is a tileset, extended ascii based from the old ibm code page 437.
>>
>>122384951
Fucking wrong link, hit middle button instead of ctrl-v and pasted something from before.

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.34:Tilesets
>>
I wanted to make a 100% ice fortress (Aside from beds and weapons)

But I can't because for some reason Ice sculpting is impossible

Is there any way to make it possible for ice to be used as a material for doors and such?
>>
What does the "multiple constructions" tag mean when looking around on the world map?

It appears in the same spot where brooks, rivers and towns appear.
>>
>>122384951
Awesome, thanks anon! This is a huge help.
>>
>>122387049
It means there's more than one worldgen-created structure (road, town, tomb, whatever) in the area you're looking at - if there's only one, its name will show up
>>
>>122386028
you could modify the raws, but in vanilla ice can only be used to make constructions (anything on the b -> C menu) in non-glacier biomes and buildings/workshops in glacier biomes
>>
>>122387680
I know about that, but what do I need to modify in order to make it possible for it to be sculpted into doors, tables and such?
>>
Fugg running low on food

Looks like I'll have to butcher my last dog

Rest in piss
>>
>>122383204
Thank you for the info. Would you recommend not giving new recruits shields to begin with- allowing for a few levels of armorskill to accumulate?

For ranged classes, I'm guessing a high armor skill value would be a bit more desired if you wanted to move them around fortification areas a bit during sieges?
>>
>>122389684
>Would you recommend not giving new recruits shields to begin with- allowing for a few levels of armorskill to accumulate

I'm not that guy, but I don't think this would make much of a difference. In my modded game, I've got a soldier who uses a halberd with no shield, and he's at the same armor skill as his peers who do have one.
>>
File: Th_WeAreGoingToDie.gif (465KB, 160x120px) Image search: [Google]
Th_WeAreGoingToDie.gif
465KB, 160x120px
I forgot to forbid using alcohol while cooking, and there is no water on the map.

Shouldn't NOT ruining your drinks be the default option?
>>
>>122390982
Yeah, and maybe zombies should just hug out their differences instead of trying to kill you.
>>
>>122390982
>Not coming back from the brink of disaster

Step it up Urist
>>
>>122391685
Well, I suddenly remembered how embarassingly easy it is to get plants since the new gathering system was implemented.

I'm living the good life again.
>>
My dwarves are eating tallow biscuits

And even that shit is running low

I enabled EAT_SAPIENT_KILL And EAT_SAPIENT_OTHER and I'm waiting for the Elven and Human caravan.
>>
>>122389684
>Would you recommend not giving new recruits shields to begin with- allowing for a few levels of armorskill to accumulate?
I wouldn't, no. It sounds to me like you're way overthinking this honestly, just give them their full uniforms right away and slap them in a squad.

>For ranged classes, I'm guessing a high armor skill value would be a bit more desired if you wanted to move them around fortification areas a bit during sieges?
Yeah, if you want your marksdwarves to wear a lot of metal armour you should probably either train them as melee soldiers beforehand or just make sure their barracks are very close to wherever they'll be fighting. Personally I just give them all leather + metal helmet or something like that, doesn't slow them down much
>>
THANKS GOD, SOME SEALS APPEARED AND WE CLUBBED THEM

Looks like we won't eat elves... YET.
>>
Oh god

I killed them

I-I killed them
>>
File: 1445817187035.gif (3KB, 167x180px) Image search: [Google]
1445817187035.gif
3KB, 167x180px
>>122394212
It was inevitable.
>>
File: God.png (80KB, 1249x427px) Image search: [Google]
God.png
80KB, 1249x427px
>>122394334
>>
File: 1446761118359.png (67KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1446761118359.png
67KB, 500x500px
>>122394434
>Fellow wanderlust african american compatriot
I alrealy like you
>>
>>122394434
Proposal: Capturing a gas/dust FB/Titan and using it to build an actual gas chamber.
>>
>>122394434
>GTEAHLSEVES
lmao
>>
File: trade2.png (264KB, 1014x690px) Image search: [Google]
trade2.png
264KB, 1014x690px
Is there any reason I can't trade?
>>
>>122397170
Broker is not at depot
press 'r' in that screen, wait for him to arrive, then trade.
>>
>>122397170
Yeah, you seem to blind and retarded
>>
File: broker.png (270KB, 1015x693px) Image search: [Google]
broker.png
270KB, 1015x693px
>>122397285
She's there
>>
>>122397486
You're making this more difficult than it needs to be.
Select the depot, press 'r', wait until it says you can trade. that's all there is to it.
>>
File: youdoubleelf.png (256KB, 1014x690px) Image search: [Google]
youdoubleelf.png
256KB, 1014x690px
>>122397486
press r
>>
>>122397830
She's hauling at the moment, go to her jobs and uncheck item hauling to have her only work as a trader
>>
>>122399067
That shouldn't matter, since trading takes precedence for brokers, meaning that the broker should simply bring the item he/she's currently hauling to the depot, and then start trading. The problem is that anon hasn't requested any trader.
>>
I didn't know making a fort in glaciers made it impossible for Humans and Elves to come and sell you shit.

I really wanted to taste Elven meat
>>
>>122400016
If you embark anywhere that's too far from those civilizations, they won't come to you.
>>
>>122400016
Check your neighbors next time

If they're not listed in the embark site, you won't see them

It's impossible to embark somewhere without dwarves, though
>>
File: SENDHELP.png (54KB, 1280x427px) Image search: [Google]
SENDHELP.png
54KB, 1280x427px
I WANT TO GET OFF MR.URIS'S WILD RIDE
>>
File: Pepe McDwarf.jpg (124KB, 652x654px) Image search: [Google]
Pepe McDwarf.jpg
124KB, 652x654px
Two questions:

1) If I use cages instead of restraints in my prison, and deconstruct the cage when an offending dorf is locked in, will I get a loose cage with a dorf in it?

2) If I lock a terrestial, non-vermin creature into a terrarium, and then fill it with water, will it drown?
>>
My Dwarves are begging Armok to end their suffering. Is this normal?
>>
File: ArmokPlease.png (95KB, 1248x427px) Image search: [Google]
ArmokPlease.png
95KB, 1248x427px
>>122404172
>>
>>122022297
Hunting out a Liches tower or whatever is the best part imo. You get magical powers
>>
2 years and nothing interesting hapened at all.

I only lost 2 dorfs on the first few days, but nothing else, and I can keep my fort alive with hunting for a looong time.

I want to make it collapse horribly.

Anything cool aside from the clowns? (I can reach them, there is a gigantic sea under my fort)
>>
I'm about to try my first playthrough while watching captnduck's tutorial
How impotant is to embark near a volcano for my first playthrough? because I can't find one next to a river
>>
File: fucking_lovely.png (35KB, 1119x576px) Image search: [Google]
fucking_lovely.png
35KB, 1119x576px
>Some migrants have arrived despite danger
"Oh cool I can patch up the population a bit again, hopefully we are getting some g-"
>Clerk migrant
>Who happens to be an accursed fog husk
>Kills almost every other migrant, spare one
Well shit.
>>
>>122405993
0%. volcanos are fun but I rarely use them. just make sure there are some trees around (it will tell you when you pick a location)
>>
>>122405993

Current version with unmodded world gen all maps have guaranteed magma sea deep underground
>>
File: RIPGLACIER.png (33KB, 1280x427px) Image search: [Google]
RIPGLACIER.png
33KB, 1280x427px
LEADER WENT NUTS AND KILLED 3 DORF CHILDS

NO MORE FOOD LEFT

OUR HUNTER DIED TO A WOLF

MERCHANTS REFUSE TO COME AFTER WE KILLED THE LAST ONES OUT OF DESPERATION

ALL MY MASONS ARE ENGRAVING EVERYTHING SO ANY ADVENTURER CAN SEE WHAT HAPPENED HERE

RIP
>>
>>122407035
OH GOD EVERYONE IS DYING
>>
File: holyuck.png (16KB, 589x305px) Image search: [Google]
holyuck.png
16KB, 589x305px
>A regular undead two-humped camel wanders in
>Sig off my military against it
>25 casualties
What the actual fuck
>>
>>122403541
pls answer
>>
>>122407961
undead are fucking stronk
>>
>>122407836
Thanksfully, a dwarven caravan appeared and I managed to slaughter everyone just in time.
>>
>>122407961
Undead receive a sizable strength bonus at the cost of speed. Can only be damaged by blunt attacks as well.
>>
>>122399690
Oooooh, didn't know that
>>
File: 1444277175379.jpg (47KB, 410x412px) Image search: [Google]
1444277175379.jpg
47KB, 410x412px
>Like the idea of a fortress being truly a fortress
>With functional squads of crossbowdwarves that fire from the safety of walls
>Everytime i try this something goes wrong
>They always fuck ammo allocation at first, once this is solved they just jump through fortifications to engage in melee combat
>Have to draft a regular military of melee dwarves that basically fuck everything up close and personal

Crossbows were a mistake
>>
File: zombie_apocalypse_in_progress.png (36KB, 1327x413px) Image search: [Google]
zombie_apocalypse_in_progress.png
36KB, 1327x413px
>Last month, the population was 65
Well, thank fuck I build a panic room for just situations like this.
Time to see if I can work out this situation.
>>
File: 1363488998887.jpg (74KB, 463x372px) Image search: [Google]
1363488998887.jpg
74KB, 463x372px
>>122409915
>Draft them all in 2 squads
>Split the schedule between both so 1 squad trains for half a year while the other do regular work to keep everyone alive
>Try to reclaim the grounds from the inside once everyone is good to go
>>
File: dorf.jpg (167KB, 1146x630px) Image search: [Google]
dorf.jpg
167KB, 1146x630px
How's this for an embark place, I'm trying to get ready for my first try
>>
>>122409517
Yep, I can't even get my crossbowdwarves to train properly. The best amongst them can't hit for shit and end up using them as hammers.
I just end up building danger rooms and melee squads
>>
>>122410507

Looks pretty safe overall, good for a first try
>>
>>122410507
[tab] through neighbours just to be safe, you probably don't want to be within range of a tower for your first fort. other than that it looks good
>>
File: more_hopeless_than_that.png (13KB, 1137x171px) Image search: [Google]
more_hopeless_than_that.png
13KB, 1137x171px
>>122410310
Situation is rather hopeless.
I made stockpiles for weapons inside ( including picks ), but they are empty... Fucking dwarves.

The exit from safe-room ( wall to bookkeeper's office ) does have a pick nearby, but there are zombies near it.

I guess I should just revert save. Succession fort, feels scummy, I guess I'll ask the one hosting the project.

I can't believe it snowballed from a single undead camel.
>>
>>122410929
>>122410838
thanks anons
>>
>>122411352
Have you NEVER seen a zombie movie?
>>
>>122410754
>danger rooms

Why? Dwarves train ridiculously fast in this version.
>>
>>122411352
>28others
>>
>>122390982
I can't get my dorfs to cook with liquids even when I want them to, how did you fuck up so bad?
>>
Im assuming you nerds have tried Rimworld.
Im trying it for the first time while I wait for the next DF update and Im having a hard time dealing with all the waves of raiders it sends at you since Im used to have more reliable defense and a bigger population in DF. Any tips beyond just massing turrets?
>>
>>122407961
Fucking camels man, they'll kick your skull in even while they're alive.
>>
>>122409517
The melee combat preference over grabbing more ammo has been a thorn in my side for a long while. Best advice I can give is setting stockpiles in a shorter distance than reaching where you want them shooting. Or, blocking off the path entirely.

Dwarves shouldn't be able to crawl through fortifications. Creatures can (via current bug) if they are standing directly infront. Always have a channel around the enemy-side of fortifications.
>>
>>122409517
>>122413475
>build walls that are at least two Z (channel included if you want)
>build fortifications on top
this stops anyone from going in and out of fortifications unless you fuck around with liquids.
>>
>>122413475
>Dwarves shouldn't be able to crawl through fortifications.

They don't though. They jump through.

>Creatures can (via current bug) if they are standing directly infront.

Are you sure you aren't confusing that with the jumping through fortifications bug?
>>
>>122414139
>this stops anyone from going in and out of fortifications unless you fuck around with liquids.

There still is the problem with creatures being able to jump out of them that wasn't solved.
>>
>>122414292
just make every wall 2-squares thick. I don't think they're actually intending to jump through them, it's something to do with dodging or charging or collisions
>>
>>122414365
> I don't think they're actually intending to jump through them

>marksdwarf sees enemy outside fortification
>marksdwarf does not have anymore ammo
>marksdwarf wants to keep attacking enemy
>marksdwarf beings to path towards enemy
>closest way to enemy is jumping out of tower

They do intentionally do it.

>just make every wall 2-squares thick.

This is supposed to do what? You still need a fortification and I don't think doubling the fortifications will do anything.
>>
Dorves recurring to cannibalism of dead dorves when they can't find any Vermin or anything to eat when?
>>
>>122414292
They actually jump off a 2+ Z-level wall? That's hardcore.

Anyway, the wiki has this explanation of the marksdwarf behavior:
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Advanced_Marksdwarf_Training_Guide#Stopping_Melee_Charges

>>122414365
Yeah, I would guess they were trying to dodge bolts fired by elite crossbowmen or some such.
>>
>>122414610
>I don't think doubling the fortifications will do anything.
2-square-thick walls can't be warped though with the dodging bug. I don't know if it's the same thing you guys are talking about, but I suspect it is.

If you ever have an outdoor, aboveground barracks with no windows/doors and 1-square-thick walls, you'll find that sparring dwarves will regularly get knocked through the walls and find themselves outside the fort. it's not unique to sparring, it just happens more often because of the amount of fighting

and having double-thick walls completely eradicates the problem
>>
File: TheEnd.png (77KB, 1280x427px) Image search: [Google]
TheEnd.png
77KB, 1280x427px
And so, the Glacier fortress reaches an end after 3 years, almost 4.

I can post a greentext if ye want after all the dwarves finally diee.
>>
>>122414765
>Yeah, I would guess they were trying to dodge bolts fired by elite crossbowmen or some such.

I don't think there is any need for them to do this. I've had one of my haulers path directly in front of a flying bolt and nothing happened.

>>122414884
>I don't know if it's the same thing you guys are talking about, but I suspect it is.

Not at all. I know about the two-square-thick walls thing. I'm discussing a problem that arises with marksdwarves. There is currently a bug that lets creatures jump out of fortifications, so often times when a marksdwarf runs out of bolts they path to the creature they were attacking or a closer one and just jump out of the fortification.
>>
>>122415342
Right, but it still sounds like it could be the same bug, which is why I'm curious to hear what would happen if the wall was 2 squares thick. You say that they're intentionally jumping through to chase a target and that could well be the case, but it could also be the case that they're dodging something like >>122414765 says, and just end up charging the nearest creature, could it not?
>>
File: sjw.png (45KB, 1010x677px) Image search: [Google]
sjw.png
45KB, 1010x677px
Well I never
>>
>>122415546
>Right, but it still sounds like it could be the same bug

I'm doubtful of that, considering it's dealing with two different construction types.

>You say that they're intentionally jumping through to chase a target and that could well be the case, but it could also be the case that they're dodging something like >>122414765 says, and just end up charging the nearest creature, could it not?

Sure, I don't see why not. I don't think marksdwarves need to dodge each other's bolts though.
Every time I've observed this bug, it's been during a siege. I'll have my marksdwarves stationed in their tower, they'll shoot the invaders for a while, run out of ammo, and then Urist will jump out the fortification and climb down my wall, usually.
>>
File: GlacierFortsAreFun.png (387KB, 1918x1080px) Image search: [Google]
GlacierFortsAreFun.png
387KB, 1918x1080px
>>122414951
>>
>>122416236
>Urist will jump out the fortification and climb down my wall, usually.
Hmm. Try building your walls like this:

__F
|
|_____
>>
>>122416049
>Values family greatly
>Values martial prowess
>Respects commerce
>Finds nature somewhat disturbing

Doesn't compute with liberal twisted ideals
>>
File: 1428770741608.png (1MB, 1155x1095px) Image search: [Google]
1428770741608.png
1MB, 1155x1095px
>>122414765
>Have to jump through hoops to get them to equip the right gear following several exceptions
>Have to jump through hoops on fire to get them to train properly
>If you manage to not fuck everything up during the process good luck to get them to fight without them going on suicide charges

Or you could just use regular military and require 0 micromanagement outside of the initial setup, hell even pulling a magma trap with a pump stack is easier and can double as an obsidian farm, i take it Crossbowdwarves aren't even among Toady's first priorities right?
>>
Is the Dark Ages mod any good?
>>
>>122415342
>>122416236
Last night, I was power leveling my marksdwarves using a zombie swordsman in a pit- sealed off with a iron floodgate. I left the dwarves there for an hour, no issues of them slipping through the fortification.

The design was a pit 2 z levels down. The dwarves shot from fortifications at the top. The Fortification blocks were in a single row, all "suspended above the first open row. The bottom of the pit looked like this

; ; ; ; ; ; ;
; ; ; ; ; ; ;
========== Smoothed 1z high row to
; ; ; ; ; ; ; 2 z levels up, the suspended F
>>
File: camel.jpg (282KB, 1522x1092px) Image search: [Google]
camel.jpg
282KB, 1522x1092px
>>122418432
pls reply
>>
>>122418432
Parts of it are, but it's better to pick and choose stuff from it than use the full thing.
>>
>>122420703
Thanks. How do you do that and what would you recommend?
>>
File: AshesToIce?.png (11KB, 1280x427px) Image search: [Google]
AshesToIce?.png
11KB, 1280x427px
Well, that was fun.

Glacier Fortress, survived for 4 years (Technically 3).

Everyone died thanks to starvation

And everything went downhill when the leader went nuts and killed 3 dorfs
>>
File: cloth industry.png (39KB, 1099x541px) Image search: [Google]
cloth industry.png
39KB, 1099x541px
How do you guys set up your clothing industry? Do you make everything from scratch or just trade it from caravans (or just take it off from the cold bodies of your enemies)?
>>
>>122420972
Usually I just buy leather from caravans and use that for everything. super cheap, doesn't require farming/processing, and you're probably going to have a leather industry going in every fort whether you mean to or not just because animals are bound to get killed

in this current fort I'm mass producing green rope reed cloth and making stuff out of that, but overall it's more trouble than it's worth
>>
File: 1428803906985.jpg (13KB, 248x401px) Image search: [Google]
1428803906985.jpg
13KB, 248x401px
>>122420972
>Everyone's clothes turn to dust
>Suffer clothing crisis
>Go really overboard trying to solve this
>Accidentally end up with a surplus around 5000 units of cloth and clothing for years to come
>>
>>122420972
I usually begin buying the raw materials and manufacturing the clothes at the fort; then as my farms expand (and I kill animals) I buy less and less raw materials, until I'm self-sufficient in this regard.

Goblinite clothes are just a plus, not enough to maintain the fort.
>>
>>122420808
Just remove parts you don't like from the raw/objects folder, I like the vampire stuff myself, they're fun and terrifying to encounter.
>>
File: are_you_fucking_serious3.png (456KB, 1223x871px) Image search: [Google]
are_you_fucking_serious3.png
456KB, 1223x871px
>Butcher animal
>The products animate
>Reindeer Cow Skin hassles the butcher, sig squad to kill it, they do so succesfully
>Reindeer Cow Head Skin
>Cannot be killed, cannot damage

Well, my year is over anyway, so it's next guy's problem, ha ha!
>>
So DF just crashed randomly, I got hella rolled back, is there any fix to this?
>>
>>122435521
Maybe someone could come up with something if you posted more information.
What were you doing before it happened?
Can you replicate it?
Did you place an constructions near trees?
>>
>>122435957
I highlighted a wall for digging, then it crashed, I think it bugged out because it had 7's over the highlights, now what I am wondering is, is my saved fucked or not? I somehow got rolled back to BEFORE my last save so
>>
>>122436132
7's over the highlights just mean you gave the digging designations a priority of 7. it's a relatively recent feature
>>
>>122436285
Then could Priority be the cause? It's the first time I saw numbers like that so I guess I fucked up and hit something.
>>
>>122436820
You weren't building into a tree, were you? That crashes my game. That and paying child support.
>>
>>122437032
Noop, I was just underground digging into the stone wall as per usual, the rollback somehow rolled me back to BEFORE my last save, god knows how
>>
>>122413225
I sold thousands of potatoes and stolen organs from fallen enemies to buy body armor and laser guns early as possible, but I haven't touched the game in months.
>>
File: 1445581300790.jpg (48KB, 416x416px) Image search: [Google]
1445581300790.jpg
48KB, 416x416px
Hey guys,

I'm a newfag at dwarf fort, I do alright in getting farming systems and basic pastures up and running and even getting a basic mining and gemcutting system working, but eventually I get overwhelmed in a swarm of migrants and eventually start to get fucked.

anyone else have this problem?
how do you keep from getting swarmed?
>>
>>122442261
You can edit the dinit file to cap the population at below 200

You can get Dwarf TheRapist to easily keep track of and assign labors
>>
>>122442261
Well, you can set the pop cap lower if you want to, but that's not really a great solution (I normally set mine in the 80-90 range just for FPS reasons, but that still means you usually get a massive fuck-off 3rd migrant wave)

Really you just have to get started early. embarking with a fairly skilled carpenter is a must; get him building beds, make sure you have miners digging out more bedrooms than you need right away, and plan where you're going to put more.
food isn't a big deal in the current version since high-skill fisherdwarves and herbalists will drag in huge amounts even before your farms are set up, but bear in mind that you can buy that stuff (and brew some of it if need be) when the first caravan arrives in autumn. just make sure you have some trade goods (wooden trap components are great for this) ready.

I don't know exactly what your forts prioritise, but you mention gemcutting as one, and personally I have that as a very low priority and usually don't start doing it for at least a year. maybe you could take a dwarf off that and put them on whatever your fort is deficient in (food? booze? housing?)
>>
File: 1411057595565.jpg (39KB, 460x409px) Image search: [Google]
1411057595565.jpg
39KB, 460x409px
>>122442261

Just use Dwarf Therapist, makes managing immigrants easy

>mfw i come from a time when Dwarf Therapist didn't exist
>Having to manually assign labors for every single immigrant arriving on the map
>On waves of 30
>Having to switch labors of a population of 200 in the middle of Dwarven Economy
>>
>>122444151
>Having to switch labors of a population of 200 in the middle of Dwarven Economy
Okay, that sounds like hell
but I started with 40.02 or 03 or something and I've never felt the need to use therapist. I just cap my pop at 100 or less and make a point of setting everyone's labours immediately when they arrive
>>
File: Lost.jpg (87KB, 960x567px) Image search: [Google]
Lost.jpg
87KB, 960x567px
>>
should I give shields or bucklers to my marksdwarfs?
>>
>>122442261
in addition to what the others have mentioned, it's pretty common practice to just kill every migrant you don't think you can make use of as soon as they arrive

>>122445886
shields are better because they have more 'coverage,' which is essentially just a weird size stat shields/bucklers have. the weight difference is next to nothing and the only reason you'd ever consider using a buckler over a shield
>>
>discrete card started dying
>switched to ivybridge graphics
>no fucks given cause df is all I play
>ivybridge graphics start glitching
>some fucks given cause I dont want it to die
>get replacement card today
>forgot what a pain it is to keep nvidia from tearing with a compositing manager
>first world problems yo
>>
>>122444151
>before therapist
>let all dwarfs have their random jobs
>when i need a job done i just find an idler and give him the task
it worked somewhat
>>
>>122444151

This is something I need to work on myself, Assigning dorfs to needed jobs. How do you prioritize what's needed? Do you have like a ratio of haulers(Hauling been -all- they do) to the total work force?

I feel like I could use some tips for improving dorf efficiency
>>
>>122453317
There's a lot to be said in favour of an organic strategy towards DF, grand plans frequently have too much specialization to be as successful.

>>122455020
I don't aim for a specific ratio, but once I hit 15-20 dwarves I'll start assigning people a hauling role if they're not going to bring any useful skills to my custom professions, and then start weeding out hauling labours from skilled dwarves that I want to be more productive or remain safer in the fort.
>>
What should I set the population cap to if I want to have loadsa sieges and ambushes?

I made a new world in adv params with 100k cap, but I was wondering if there was some way to increase it in the files and if I even should if I want to have sieges and such. I just want to know if I'll be wasting my time setting up a new fort and playing for a year or two, after having just come back from a hiatus.

Also I imagine I should be checking each goblin/human/elven civ's pop numbers in legends viewer and embarking next to one with loadsa pop as well, right?
>>
File: VICTORY.png (12KB, 1171x188px) Image search: [Google]
VICTORY.png
12KB, 1171x188px
Finally managed to deal with the undying piece of shit. A pain to setup thanks to job-interrupts.
>>
>>122458395
Also, managed to deal with the undead forgotten beast.
Moments after it died, a new one appeared.

Time to setup the trap again, I suppose.
>>
>>122445709
I like that Kobolds beard.
>>
Any idea what Toady made the game on? As in, what programming language and what he used for the graphics. Cause I'm a programming student and I feel like I need something to dick around in and experiment on my own. I assume that if a guy with 0 programming knowledge could make a game with whatever tools he used, they're probably idiot-proof enough for me to use.
>>
>>122461779
C or C++, only later C++ with object oriented programming. The current graphics library is just SDL, implemented by Baughn.

It doesn't matter what he uses. And he's been making games since he was a child.
>>
>>122462093
Well, I'm often mentally 10, so I guess it wouldn't be too different.
>>
>>122462187
What I'm saying is at the point where he started DF he was not "a guy with 0 programming knowledge". So you're not in the same position as you seem to assume.

Besides, it doesn't matter what language you use. Especially not if you're a beginner. Why don't you use whatever you're being taught right now?
>>
>>122462282
I'm being taught C++, actually. There's also gonna be some java and scripting in the last couple of semesters. And, honestly, I can't really gauge how much I know about programming and whether I'm a beginner or not. I'm doing better than my classmates, except for this one guy who's 30 and has been doing this shit for over a decade and is now just trying to get a degree. Compared to him, I don't know shit. Compared to the rest, I'm doing great. No idea where that puts me. That's why I want a project to work on, so I can test if my skills can actually be put to some use.
>>
File: 2lmlx8g.jpg (247KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
2lmlx8g.jpg
247KB, 600x800px
bumb
>>
This thread is...
>>
File: 1444844344531.png (65KB, 688x906px) Image search: [Google]
1444844344531.png
65KB, 688x906px
>>122470253
Amazing
>>
Thread has been found dead, drained of blood.
>>
>>122380885
>undertale.jpg
>>
new thread requested
>>
>>122300301
Is no one else going to upload a fort for ideas? I love looking how other people do their forts.
>>
pls start new thred, dis one soon ded
Thread posts: 755
Thread images: 234

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.