[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do /v/irgins hate this game so much when it's easily

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 17

File: FFIV.jpg (93KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
FFIV.jpg
93KB, 1920x1080px
Why do /v/irgins hate this game so much when it's easily the best in the series?
>>
>>390125406
I liked the ds version
>>
>>390125406
They hate it because everyone likes it. They also hate it because they didn't live during the time when it was new.
>>
I love it anon
>>
>>390125469
>liking the worst version
Shit graphics, everything is harder but still has the bullshit encounter rate, and they even fucked up the music
>>
>>390125406
I think it's because IV is immensely popular that it warrants itself a sequel and 3D remake unlike other SNES era FF, even though it's very basic compared to other titles.
>>
>>390125803
Well technically it does have a 3D remake. In fact it has 3 remakes and sequel. Unfortunately the sequel was shit and all remakes (except PSP) are shit too
>>
>>390125406
Both 5 and 6 are better.
>>
>>390126034
In what ways? FFIV has the best story and characters, as well as the game play being better in a simplistic way. I think the world is also better designed.
>>
it's easily the shittiest of the three FFs on the SNES
>>
>>390126189
the story is bare bones basic and is only better than the second half of V, VI's story is better (though nothing special in its own right outside of the world ending midway). The gameplay is by far the worst offender though and is in no way better than V or VI, regardless of your bullshit "in a simplistic way" phrase. 4 is just an inferior product to V and VI. Music is better than V though
>>
>>390127730
The gameplay in V and VI are not better. 2/3s of the characters in 6 are useless and in V every character feels exactly the same, which is always the problem with an unrestricted job system
>>
>>390128195
>2/3s of the characters in 6 are useless
did we play the same game? only Rem is useless because of glitches which are fixed in the GBA/emulation

also if we're talking about useless party members IV has its fair share.

>n V every character feels exactly the same, which is always the problem with an unrestricted job system
how about you make them into different classes dumbfuck?
>>
>>390125406
Its my personal favorite as a huge fan of the series but its not hard to see what people wouldn't like about it.
>revolving door of party members
>almost all of these temporary characters blows ass in combat
>'punished' for leveling/fighting before final party because the exp is essentially wasted
>don't even get your finalized party until well into the second half of the game
>edge and kain are still pretty shit tbqhwy
>normies don't even like classic rpgs because they're "too hard"

3DS and psp versions were both great because they took a lot of steps to alleviate this issue (which is the main one I see people complaining about) but I still love the original.
>>
>>390128195
V has the best gameplay in the series.
>>
Haven't played any of the remakes. It's not that interesting. Not much to the story or characters. Gameplay is really basic since there's no real character customization. Comes with all the standard problems of FFs like frustrating encounter rate and status effects being unusable on every enemy you'd want to use them on. At least it doesn't have that much missable stuff.
>>
because 4 is worse than 5, 6, 7, 9, 10, and 12 (also worse than 11 and 14 if you wanna count MMOs)
>>
>>390125406
/v/ dislikes popular games because they get overexposed and it makes a board full of people talking about videogames all the time get kind of tired of hearing about it.
>>
>>390128621
4 isn't even that popular anymore, 7 and 10 far outshine it in popularity. Pretty sure 6 is more popular now too
>>
>>390125406
Move that I to the rogjt and double it we got a deal.
>>
>>390128503
Explain
>>
>>390125406
>Why do /v/irgins hate this game so much
The overwhelming vast majority of FF threads on /v/ are either XV shitposting, or full of Lightning 'worshipper' autists.

If you're surprised they hate IV, you haven't been here very long.
>>
>>390128290
>Make them different classes
Because that's sub optimal.
>>
>>390125406
I see IV as a weak but very important FF game. The story is pretty lame and predictable, the characters are one note, the gameplay is pretty basic, and the difficulty has been fucked up in both of the most publicized western releases(SNES was too easy, DS was too hard), but despite these major flaws, it was the first time we had story that tried anything in an FF game, the first characters with enough personality to have an opinion on, and it introduced ATB to the series. So despite the game being a bit outdated, I still look very fondly on it. The SuFami logo is horrible, whose idea was it to put fucking Kain on it?
>>
>>390128906
being optimal in any FF game is using one move over and over again while having a healer AoE heal, if that's what floats your boat then go ahead but don't fault the game for your autism. 10 has the best battle system of the turn based games but if you wanna be optimal it's quick hit spam, real fun. FF games aren't hard anyway
>>
>>390125406
>>390126189
Oh hey, people on /v/ who actually have good taste.

>>390125469
I like the DS version too, though I prefer the music in the SNES version. I wonder if anyone has made a patch that gives the SNES version the DS version's translation.

>>390125976
>thinking the PSP remake is good
>>
>>390128392
>'punished' for leveling/fighting before final party because the exp is essentially wasted
How do you mean? When characters join your party they're at a similar level to Cecil. If you want you can grind up to level 99 just after becoming a Paladin and have all the characters come back at that
>>
>>390128956
ATB is a shitty system. It's basically just the normal turn system except it punishes you for not taking your turn as fast as possible. FFX's CTB system is far better.
>>
>>390129014
>>390129223
10's battle system makes the game easier. Every battle is about preparation rather than the battle itself. The fight with Penance for example is nothing but tedious grinding and once you actually fight him there's no tension because the battle moves at my own pace and I know that there's no way I can possibly lose. If you like games where preparation and there's no chance is everything then I can understand that but I prefer the tension that real time brings
>>390129028
>liking those ugly ass graphics over the sexy remastered pixels and jacked up difficulty for no reason
>>
It's not V
>>
>>390126189

I played around 80% of FFIV on the PSP remake a few years back and all I remember is like 80% of the characters sacrifice themselves for you. Like you can't go an hour in the story without a heroic sacrifice.
>>
>>390128392
Don't forget
>lots of characters have heroic deaths only for those sacrifices to be negated when it turns out they're not dead at all
>>
>>390129223
I totally agree, FFX has the second best combat in the series to me, but I was just saying it was influential, not good.
>>
>>390129252
Tellah, Palom/Porom and Yang are the only ones really. And Tellah doesn't even sacrifice himself for you, he just wants to kill Golbez for revenge, so really it only happens twice
>>
>>390129235
>Every battle is about preparation rather than the battle itself.
That's literally every FF game.
>>
>>390129223

Being pressured to act quickly is interesting, but it definitely wasn't utilized very well in the first few games that did it. I quite enjoyed it by the time FFXIII rolled around though.
>>
>>390128791
It has the most depth and customization of all the numbered games. Status effects generally aren't useless. Break and Death specifically are quite powerful. There isn't a boss in the game that is immune to instant death although in cases like the final boss you can kill him faster with damage than trying to hit with dark spark. The base game on the SNES has 3 full optional dungeons and the remakes have even more. The job system adds a surprising amount of replayability to the game. The biggest problem is the difficulty, which is a little on the low side since it was designed to be possible to complete using any jobs. It does mean that you can play through with literally any combination and be fine though, which again adds to the replayability since there are 21 Jobs (25 in the remake).
>>
VII had the best story
>>
>>390129235
>sexy remastered pixels
I suggest you get your eyes checked, Sonygro.
>>
>>390125406
I don't hate it, but V is the better game.
>>
>>390129380

Cid sacrifices himself as well doesn't he?
>>
>>390129518
lol
>>
>>390129439
That's not my point. Screwing up is actually a thing in the active battles because you had to be on your toes. In FFX sometimes I feel like there's no point seeing as before the fight I know that there's no way in Hell the system will actually let me lose unless I go out of my way to
>>
>>390129380
Cid also sacrifices himself.
>>
>>390129518
because all the good shit was copied from the original script of xenogears

>>390129627
he's not wrong, most FFs have shit stories anyway
>>
>>390125406
>No character customization, everyone has a preset job.
>Party composition is usually forced by the story.
>Introduced ATB but does nothing to actually utilize it like CT and later FFs did.
The only reason people like IV is for its story, which by JRPG standards is fairly tame and simple.
>>
File: 1477371729396.gif (1MB, 414x203px) Image search: [Google]
1477371729396.gif
1MB, 414x203px
>Kain might have had a decent character ark, having been overcome by envy or jealousy felt toward Cecil, which ultimately turned to loathing
>completely undermined by "lol jk, he was just being mind-controlled by the moon king"
>>
>>390129661
He survived actually.
>>
>>390129796
The envy and jealousy was there though; Zemus used it as a base to control him. He can't just jump into anyone's mind and take control. Kain's arc is overcoming his jealously; not succumbing to it
>>
>>390129802
So do Yang and Palom/Porom. Tellah is the only one who actually dies.
>>
>>390129796
You're a fucking retard and clearly didn't actually pay attention to the game. Zemus exerts force over Golbez and Cain that causes their negative emotions to overwhelm them, leading to those characters doing what they do. The character arc you want to be there is actually there, which you would've noticed had you actually paid attention to the story.
>>
>>390125406
>incredibly barebones gameplay, even by FF standards at the time when compared to FF II and III and ESPECIALLY V and VI
>>
A FF game with static jobs is pretty lame coming from FF1-3 that all allowed you customization in one way or another.
>>
>>390128195
>and in V every character feels exactly the same, which is always the problem with an unrestricted job system

Then don't be a fag that uses 4 Mimes or 4 Freelancers?
>>
>>390129636
The only way you can "screw up" ATB is by dawdling and letting the enemy get extra turns because you decided to fumble through a long menu instead of just mashing "Attack". That's it, the bosses aren't any more unpredictable than they are in other systems. Most enemies still have a preset order of actions that never varies.
>>
>>390130132
Why can't I ask for a game that has more useful classes rather than objectively better than every thing else classes?
>>
I never played it lmao.

I honestly thought I was playing it when I actually played 3. I put the wrong title on it because I'm retarded haha
>>
>>390126189
>FFIV has the best story
no
>>
Everyone killed themselves but only ine died
>>
>>390130165
But that's where the tension comes from; doing all the strategy in time. You may not like that but I think it's an integral part of the game. The "mashing attack" is more of a problem of contact random encounters. If they were less frequent and optional like in Chrono trigger or Earthbound then people might actually put strategy into them.
>>
>>390130201
But there are tons. Ninja, Summoner, Blue Mage, Mystic Knight, Gladiator, Chemist, Geomancer, ect.

Hell, Blue Mage can one-shot certain bosses like the Adamantoise.
>>
>>390129925
Not that guy but I've only played the original SNES game so any nuance in the writing was obliterated by the awful translation. I hear the remakes are better.
>>
>>390130201
You got that. To even make Mime and Freelancer work you have to grind a serious amount of time.
For anything but the superbosses you will be required to utilize different jobs.

Please play the games that you talk about first.
>>
>>390125406
DS difficulty was amazing
>>
>>390130298
But going freelancer with two skills is always better because stats carry over
>>390130384
Rapid Fire + Spell Sword. Give me a reason to use another class when you can get this
>>
>>390130492
Bluemage is the only class you need. They can kill anything through the power of numberwang which is much more satisfying that hitting for 9999 4 times.
>>
>>390130201
Try Final Fantasy Dimensions. Maybe XII the zodiac age.
>>
>>390125406
It's pretty trite
One dimensional characters, low customization.

I really liked the original, it's comparable to FF6 but you can really see the evolution in character development during later titles.
>>
>>390130492
But that is endgame plus turbogrinding. What kind of stupid complaint is that? No one forced you to powergrind all 4 characters to max out the jobs.

>oh, if you get a billion EXP and max out every single job and use the strongest build four times, the last 10 minutes of the game becomes too easy
>>
KAIN IS A KEK.
>>
>>390130287
Strategy is decided before the encounter even starts. Everything else is just punishment for using menus.
>>
>>390130801
>Level 40s is turbogrinding
>>
File: 1137207385620.jpg (92KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1137207385620.jpg
92KB, 600x450px
>>390125406
Fun facts from the last /v/ archive census:
>87% of all hate for 4, 5, 6, 9, X, X-2, and 12 come from 8fags.
>54% of all hate for 7 comes from leafs who post simular hate in all non-falcom RPG threads
>98% of all hate for XIII and XIII-2 currently comes from LRfags
>93% of hate for LR comes from a variety of origin countries with a wide variety of taste expression
>82% of all 8fags have used kino unironically on /v/ at least once in the(at the time) last four weeks
>3% of all XVfags have continued to post after at least one 3-day ban(although ip evasion is a thing so unreliable)
>>
>>390125406
I don't hate it, it's okay
But it does bug me when people call it the best. There are so many amazing FF games, I think FFIV fans are just trying to look cool by choosing the earliest FF game that has a decent story and isn't horrible to play like FFII.
I don't think FFIV should even even be compared to FFV, FFVI, FFVII, FFVIII, FFIX, or FFX. All are more fun to play and all but FFV have far better characters/storys (and FFV's story/characters are just as good as FFIV's).
>>
>>390130876
You can easily finish ff5 in your late 20s. Level 40 is insane.
>>
>>390130867
My problem is then you don't have to react. You essentially have everything already planned out and so you're just going through the motions.
>>
>>390129223
could atb mixed with press turn work?
>>
>>390128195
>2/3s of the characters in 6 are useless

I never get this argument. This would be a problem in a hard game, but not a single mainline Final Fantasy has been hard. Just pick the characters you like.
>>
>>390130914
If you want to skip a whole bunch of shit then you can but what's the point of playing a FF game if you're just going to power through the main quest?
>>
>>390130876
It is. Not to mention if your freelancers are pimped out with a ton of stat boosts and skills, you have already overdone it.

The beauty about FF V which is wasted on your brute forcing the game is that you can beat all sorts of stuff at a much lower level if you play creatively. Certain bosses can be crippled with special ailments like Old. Adamantoise and others are weak to Death. Carbuncle and Titan can shut down certain fights. Float makes the Crystal Guardians easier to fight.
>>
>>390130991
Even if you do every dungeon in 5 you should still be in your 30s. XP doesn't do anything in that game anyway aside from give you a little more HP.
>>
>>390130934
ATB turns aren't any more unpredictable than normal turns. The bosses actions aren't any more random. You can still anticipate when the boss is going to act and how you'll need to respond.

The only real problem with the way FFX did it is actually just showing you the turn order at all times. That does make it too easy, but the basic idea of a pure turn-based system with a dynamic, reactive turn order is better than ATB. Also being able to switch out party members mid-battle without using a turn is pretty overpowered too.
>>
>>390130492
>Rapid Fire + Spell Sword
>stopping there
Rapid Fire + Spell Sword + Dual Wield was the greatest thing to happen to my power hungry ass
>>
>>390125406
>when it's easily the best in the series?
C'mon now anon its a good game but its the weakest of the SNES era. V and VI both improved on it because you know this was back in the days when sequels actually improved on their predecessor instead of being the same game with a new coat of paint.
>>
>>390131067
Not him, but having recently just beat FFV, I just played normally and was lvl 43 by the time I finished. I didn't grind at all. With the game's absurd encounter rate, you'll hit those levels pretty easily if you aren't running away from at least half your battles or skipping the tablet dungeons.
>>
>>390130560
Blue Mage vs Neo Exdeath
>Use Magic Lamp on the back to 1 shot it
>Cast Dark Spark on the Front, Middle, and Top to cut their levels in half making them an even number since the game rounds down.
>Cast Level 5 Death on the Front killing it.
>Cast Level 2 Old on the Top and Middle to reduce their levels to a multiple of 5.
> Cast Level 5 Death on the Top and Middle killing them.
>Defeat the final boss with a single character without dealing a single point of damage.
>>
>>390131345
Huh, I remember my party being in the mid-30s. Maybe I ran away from too many encounters to save MP.
>>
I feel like random encounters almost never enforce a strategy and just result in spam. Do you think a game with only bosses could work? Maybe instead of EXP you get rewarded with items in which you make your character stronger so you don't need battles to level up
>>
>>390131767
random encounters exist to wear your party down/deplete your resources like mana/items.

everybody loves longass dungeons with poison effects.
>>
>>390131920
>mfw FF III
>long ass dungeon with no save points, if you die fighting the boss you have to restart the whole thing
>>
>>390131920
I at least wish they had a no encounter option for a dungeon you've already been too. I like exploring new places but when I have to go through the exact same place again I don't want to deal with it. Even worse when you're forced to walk out of a dungeon you just finished because the game arbitrarily decides when you can and can't use teleport
>>
>>390132004
Bravely Default does this so well. You can double the encounter rate, halve it, or completely turn it off. It's a bit too convenient since you can turn off encounters when your party is running low on heals, but still a great system.
>>
>>390131067
And then you run into omega and shinryu and have to abuse the shit out of everything AND turbo grind.
>>
>>390132060
I think the way Bethesda does it where there's usually an easy in and out opened up from a dungeon once you complete it is a pretty good system
>>
>>390132004
Visible map encounters are 1000x better than random encounters. Most JRPGs use visible encounters now and let you decide whether to attack or avoid. Random encounters eventually become hell and you end up fleeing just so you don't have to deal with it. The early FFs are particularly guilty of having retarded encounter rates. What should be a 30-second walk through a room becomes a 5-minute ordeal.

>>390131767
>>390131920
I liked the way Persona 5 did minor enemies. The weakness/1-more/hold-up system rewards you for not just mashing attack blindly even if the battles are easy regardless. It's overall one of the better turn-based systems I've played.
>>
>>390131767
Chrono cross IIRC level caps you until you kill the next boss, and then the exp is so absurd you level obscenely fast after getting a new level cap. I believe it did end up using random encounters though instead of the open encounters like trigger. It does compensate by giving you a fast forward buttton after your first clear at least.
>>
>>390131767
Romancing Saga 3 is a bad game in a lot of ways, but it does some interesting stuff. You get all your resources restored to max at the end of every fight with the exception of items and LP. Whenever a character dies they lose 1 LP and when their LP reaches 0 they're dead for good. It lets them really crank up the complexity and difficulty of random encounters since you're expected to spend all your mp on each one.

>>390132060
The problem with Bravely Defaults system is that it revealed how shitty their map design was. Every dungeon is the same hallway with one or two branches for a treasure chest.

>>390132139
Or you could just buy some elemental rings and use a Bard. Omega and Shinryu are only difficult if you try to brute force them.
>>
>>390132236
FF2 is the worst of the entire series and it's amplified by the fact you don't even GET exp in that game. It even has literal trap rooms where the encounter rate is like every square almost. And they're everywhere.

At least 5 provides you with a chicken knife for all the running you'll inevitably do.
>>
>>390132338
Nigga, that's literally the only way you CAN kill them. Even if you grind it out they instagib your party too much.
>>
>>390132441
That isn't true. You only need 1 water ring vs Shinryu and you don't have to use a bard. Omega can be done with 0 rings and without a bard.
>>
>>390132338
I still think the problem is the rates of encounters. For example going through the Lunar Subterrain there was a encounter basically every two steps. I don't want to have to set buffs/debuffs and plan battles every single time if it's that frequent; especially when I'm trying to explore an interesting area
>>
>>390132375
I couldn't finish FF2. Don't even remember how far I got. All I remember is I got to some island cave dungeon and I'd run out of resources before I could get even part-way in and would be forced to retreat and rest/save. After like 3 or 4 attempts I just gave up. The entire game had already been painfully shitty with the terrible leveling system and how your fourth party member kept getting swapped out with a really awful guest member.
>>
>>390129068
Of course knowing how the mechanics and characters work its largely irrelevant, but look at it from the perspective of a new player though.

New character(s) join the party so you level them up a bit, learn some new abilities, get them some equipment. Right when you get to a point you're happy with them and your current party you progress a bit and they leave, one after another.

It gets to a point you wonder "is this person even worth giving equipment/exp/effort to or are they just going to fucking leave 10 minutes from now?" And it happens so often especially in the first half of the game.

I know as a player that likes fleshing out my party members are seeing what they are capable of this was quite frustrating when I first played because right when I started getting attached to my makeshift party the monk would leave, or the healer, or whoever.
>>
>>390125406
I like The After Years more than normal IV.
>>
>>390132680
That's around 60% or so through the game I believe. As probably one of the only humans who actually like FF2 I think the game is incredibly misunderstood. Its a lot like FF8 actually. The whole standing around punching yourself for hours meme is as pointless and time wasting as Drawing 100 of every spell as soon as you encounter it.
>>
>>390132984
That's not even possible. From a design standpoint TAY is crap. It's basically just fanfiction. The only way you can like it is if you liked FFIV a lot
>>
>>390133000
It's probably been at least 10-15 years since I played it so I don't remember it really well. The basic premise of the leveling system seems to make sense at first (use a thing to make it stronger) but in FF2 it was way too esoteric. Like, to get Fire2 you'd have to use Fire1 a whole bunch, or rather than just leveling melee weapons/Strength, each individual weapon type had its own proficiency level. Which means you sort of had to commit to a specific path for your character right off the bat and then if you needed to change it later to deal with a particular dungeon or boss, you were basically fucked. Even if you wanted to use a particular spell, if you hadn't been using it regularly beforehand, you'd be stuck with a uselessly weak version.

This was compounded by how your 4th party member kept getting swapped out with shitty NPCs who weren't good at anything. They were basically just dead weight but as soon as you had developed them enough to the point where they might be kind of useful, they leave and get replaced with a new worthless fucker.

Most of this might be wrong, it's just what I seem to recall.
>>
Which Playstation FF is best?
>>
>>390125406
if only it came with more sprite animation as much as metal slug it would've been perfect.
as it is, it's alright
>>
>>390126189
>In what ways? FFIV has the best story and characters, as well as the game play being better in a simplistic way. I think the world is also better designed.
Did you mix up IV and V?
>>
>Any FF
>Good story
FF1,2,3,4,8,9,10 and 12 all end with
>There was actually an eviler person behind everything (who happens to have no real character outside of kill everyone) and now we have to kill them
>>
>>390133331
You aren't wrong for the most part, FF2 is objectively pretty bad.

Weapons are actually really easy to level. The xp you get from them is determined by your weapon level. So if you have level 2 in Swords, you wont get xp from using the starting sword but you will if you use a Mythril one. So if you want to diversify your weapon pool you just have to switch once you hit the next tier.

The 2 major roadblocks people have with completing FF2 is using Cure too much and not using shields.
You want your Cure spells to be at the lowest level possible because the mp cost increases as it levels. You also don't get MP increases when you cast outside of battle but you do get spell xp. So you want your non casters to be healing from the menu and only try to heal during battles as much as possible.
Blocking with a shield is pretty much the only way to increase your evasion stat. Most people see that they can dual wield from the start so they always use 2 weapons since its more damage. Once they reach the mid-late game they're taking several times more damage than they normally would. The extra damage forces them to Cure more (Why would I waste money on items when I've got MP?) which starts a downward spiral of increasing MP costs without increasing their MP pool.
>>
>>390130492
Because that unlocks in the fucking LATE GAME.
>>
>>390132984

I suspect this will end up being true for me, when I get to it. But that's because I dislike IV and having moments away from Cecil and Kain sounds wonderful.

>>390130991

>what's the point of playing a FF game if you're just going to power through the main quest?

I personally always leave 100% to the second playthrough, which I know I will always complete anyway, if the game is decent. I will push through the main quest in order to experience the intended "normally" challenging bosses and dungeons, since with any other playthrough I'll know what's coming and can't capture that excitement and gameplay surprise.
>>
>>390127730
IV's gameplay is definitely better than VI's. VI's combat is so fucking bad, you don't even have to try to beat the game.
>>
>Dude FF5 is great because you can get creative on the bosses and beat them at way lower level!
I just played through FF5 for the first time and really the only way I could see someone doing this is if they already had encyclopedic knowledge of the game's jobs, mechanics and enemies. You can't know what a boss is vulnerable to just by looking, or even with libra. You can't know which spells qualify as blue magic and which enemies use them unless you just do lots of testing. You can't know what jobs get easily abusable abilities before you unlock them, unless you already know in advance.

Stuff like this: >>390131504
There's no indication in-game that Old affects enemy level. The only way you could to abuse that mechanic is if you had special knowledge.

I just finished my first playthrough of FFV, and in my experience, special status effects like Old or Death or Stop or Sleep or whatever failed so often that I basically just started assuming that every important enemy was immune. I'd still try casting one here and there to see if it worked, but they almost never did. In my entire playthrough, I never got Gravity or Graviga to go off even once, even in random encounters. There's no telling if an enemy is immune or if you just missed, and during a fight you don't have the time to test each and every spell multiple times to see if it can hit and provides a secret way to cheese that particular boss. MP and turns are a precious resource against a boss and so it seems pointless to just waste them trying to figure out special weaknesses when attacking blindly works too. Of course I later found out that the chance to apply special statuses is based on the difference in level of the caster and target, and most bosses severely outlevel you, which doesn't help. But again, you could never know something like that just from playing the game normally.
>>
>>390134059
Seems like stuff that could have been avoided if the game wasn't designed so badly.
>>
>>390132139
No you don't. Both Shinryu and Omega are actually easier to shut down than the final boss. Berserk/Blink counters Shinryu alone, Bards counter Omega.
>>
>>390134749
its one of those weird particulars that adds replayability to a linear jrpg, which i really think is super cool. especially when you have a casual interest in rpg speedruns and you get ff5 which is a treat compared to stuff like ff4 and ff6 which are honestly boring glitchless
>>
>>390125406

6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 12 are all better than 4 mate.
>>
>>390125406
I hate it because Cecil is useless character after turning to a paladin. I'd choose III, V and VI over IV anytime.
>>
File: 1504978494825.jpg (10KB, 228x216px) Image search: [Google]
1504978494825.jpg
10KB, 228x216px
>>390125798
>fucked up the music.
Anon your a fucking idiots.
>>
>>390125406
I fucking love it. It was my favorite until XI came out. I also fucking love XII's game play but I prefer IV's story and world.

XI > IV > XII > IX > V > VI > XIV > II > I > III> VII > X > X2 > > IV sequel > VIII > XIII > XIII side games. Skipped XV.
>>
>>390137830
Me again.

I know that nostalgia keeps me liking it. In this day and age, it's painfully mediocre and pretty close to shit. When it came out though, it was fucking top notch. When I judge games these days I judge them based on when they were released and what the brought to the series (if there's one). I'd played FFI and loved it and this was my second FF game (labelled FFII at the time). It blew all my fucking expectations out of the water.
As a ten year old witnessing people willing to sacrifice themselves in a game (whether or not the actually did/could be saved) was absolutely mind blowing for me.
This game had enough of an effect on me at that age that it probably ended up shaping who I am. I have a hard-on for playing Light based heroes in every game that will let me. If the game has an analogue of a paladin, that's what I'm playing. It shaped me into being a "moralfag" in every game I played and IRL. To this day Cecil is my favorite video game character.
>>
>>390125406
there are no good final fantasy games
>>
File: Buzzlightman.jpg (50KB, 405x410px) Image search: [Google]
Buzzlightman.jpg
50KB, 405x410px
>>390125406
/v/ hates it?
It's the only game in the series I like tbqh.
>>
File: cc32.jpg (169KB, 850x634px) Image search: [Google]
cc32.jpg
169KB, 850x634px
Because the best character in the game is overshadowed by the dumb moon people story.
>>
File: Holy Shit, Rydia.jpg (66KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
Holy Shit, Rydia.jpg
66KB, 512x384px
Post more Rydia.
>>
>>390125406
The Rydia growing up bs.
>>
File: RydiaAndHerDad.jpg (96KB, 378x600px) Image search: [Google]
RydiaAndHerDad.jpg
96KB, 378x600px
>tfw Guts & Schierke are Cecil & Rydia right down to the little detail where everything goes to hell when they set foot on a boat
>>
Maybe i should play the original since the DS's low poly artstyle put me off.
And Cecil is just a generic brooding anime character that his VA is fucking Yuri Lowenthal, him and Maria are so terrible.
>>
>>390139265
>brooding

He spends like one night being upset that he got sent to slaughter a city of pacifists and a couple minutes being mad that he got duped into doing it again. The rest of the game is a story of forgiveness that comes straight out of the bible.
>>
>>390139265
You confused Cecil with Kain.
>>
File: 1360902825933.jpg (31KB, 422x356px) Image search: [Google]
1360902825933.jpg
31KB, 422x356px
>>390136836
>8

Dude, come on.
>>
What's the best release of IV/V to play?
>>
FF is one of those franchises you just can't discuss on the interent.
>>
>>390141209
The GBA versions with a patch to use the SNES music. The DS version of 4 isn't bad, but its quite a bit different from the original game. The Playstation versions are unplayable due to load times and the Steam/mobile version is ugly as hell.
>>
>>390125406
This was a pretty good game
>>
File: ff5mobile.png (2MB, 1412x900px) Image search: [Google]
ff5mobile.png
2MB, 1412x900px
>>390141473
Steam/mobile version is literally just the DS version. You're thinking of the steam/mobile versions of 5 and 6, which fuck up the art really bad and make them look like babby's first RPGmaker project.
>>
>>390141768
He asked for 4 and 5.
>>
>>390125406
it's not the ffiv i hate, It's the the after years I hate and the people who like it. Pure cancer, both the game and people who love it. They should put all the people that love it in the fucking gas chambers, and end it, once and for all. Thank god there are no physical copies of that game, although it's bundled with the fucking psp version so fucking burn all the copies, yeah. Burn them all.
>>
Why do people dislike 3 so much?
I can understand kids hating 1 cause muh graphics/limitations/whatever and 2 for its obvious flaws but why 3?
At worst I can see certain parts of it as average.
>>
>>390142489
The majority of the fanbase only cares about the story and the characters.
>>
>>390142489
It didn't get a GBA port and the DS remake wasn't very good. Most people aren't willing to play a fan translated NES game.
>>
>>390142489
I liked 3. The DS version at least. The round-based combat with semi-random turns can be annoying though because shit like this can happen:
>Party is at full health
>Set healer to cast Curaga on party in anticipation of the boss's attack that round
>Round starts
>Healer casts Curaga on the already full health party
>Boss takes his turn after and wipes out most of their health
>Next round, make healer cast Curaga again
>Boss goes first this time, attacks the party again and kills them all because they were on low HP

The job system is also unrefined compared to FFV's, many jobs are basically useless, and several jobs are essentially just direct upgrades of earlier jobs. There's also how they hadn't started introducing save points in dungeons yet, so if you were in a long dungeon and needed to save/heal, you had to walk all the way back out. Still, it was nothing that bad.
>>
>>390129252
And Kain just leaves your party at least 3 times and takes your stuff with him every time.
>>
>>390133607
Tactics
>>
File: FFIV.jpg (135KB, 584x842px) Image search: [Google]
FFIV.jpg
135KB, 584x842px
>>390126189
>FFIV has the best story
And this is why people say FF has a shit story.
>>
>>390125406
Because it and its sequels are great so it throws people into an autistic rage
>>
>>390125798
>everything is harder
It's identical to the original SFC version in japan
>>
>>390125406
Hey it's me anon!
I'm your new party member!
ok bye see you later.
>>
>>390129028

The PSP remake is ideal. Reworked translation, classic and orchestral soundtrack that you can swap between on the fly, all the expanded story that IV got in Japan. It's the perfect version of the game.

There's a difference between being a elitist and being willfully ignorant.
>>
>>390126189
>spend a long time leveling and gearing up a character
>they either die or willingly leave the party in the next scripted area
>usually get replaced with a lamer, less effective substitute (if at all) and you're back to zero

this happens so often in IV, it almost becomes comical

if V wanted to stick to the idea of being a parody of the franchise itself, they should have had a character leave every twenty minutes, and then even have the main character leave and get replaced by a jobber
>>
>>390139032
O.O
>>
File: i am silly.png (66KB, 810x800px) Image search: [Google]
i am silly.png
66KB, 810x800px
>>390144259
Boy, you sure showed us.
>>
>>390132338
>Romancing Saga 3 is a bad game in a lot of ways
Romancing SaGa 3's problem is that it's too easy for the series' average and Commander Mode is way too strong once you learn how to do good party composition, it's a perfectly fine game for everything else.
Besides, most of the stuff you point out is either incorrect or questionable, if you're using all your WP/JP on map encounters that aren't those rare fixed top BR monsters you really need to learn how to play the game.
>>390134059
>You want your Cure spells to be at the lowest level possible
That's stupid, leveling up cure increases its power, moreover, by the time it gets to "unsustainable" MP cost you should be oneshotting anything and having your inventory filled with nothing but healing items, and you can also slap Cure on every party member if it's not enough.
>Once they reach the mid-late game they're taking several times more damage than they normally would
That really depends on how you build a party, I never use shields in FF2 because I focus on levelling up Blink with Maria while Firion and Guy maul things with swords and barehanded attacks, there's really no need for evasion in FF2 as long as you cover it up with Blink, and maybe other buffs like Protect, the last dungeon can be entirely cheesed with Blood Swords anyway, so it's not like you have to worry about anything even in the endgame.
Or you can just abuse the countless glitches and oversights and turn everything into a frog anyway, unless you're playing versions from the Origins remake onwards, in which case it's even easier for some things, especially since the huge system nerf in the DoS/PSP versions.
>>
>>390125406
I didn't hate it, i just thought it was one of the most generic and standard jrpg's I've ever played and was throughout bored while playing it. I mean it kinda set the stage for 16bit jrpg's so I can't fault it for being generic, but I don't really see the point in playing it today.
>>
>>390131767

Baten Kaitos and its sequel handle this well by having an interesting, dynamic card battle system. I know it sounds awful but it's basically a standard turn based JRPG battle system using cards instead of commands. The excitement comes in the fact that stringing together number combos with a character or especially the whole party deals mega damage. And that mindlessly pressing A to use the immediate card will result in your character not moving at all or wasting a turn on a single little bitch attack, and you getting killed by random encounters.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92vPmRcwLqM&t=0m59s

It forces you to remove yourself from autopilot between boss fights. I love it.
>>
>>390133607

All the ports of classic FF games (and CT) are awful. They have ridiculous load times and stutter, they literally aren't worth playing.

Go with the GBA or SNES versions.
>>
>>390125406

One reason: Rubicante.

Other than that, i loved the DS version.
>>
>>390125406
Because it's fucking popular. Do you think there is another reason? All the reasons they give are just grasping at straws or subjective shit.
>>
>>390125406
It is my favorite Final Fantasy, although part of that is mostly nostalgia.

Part of that is just that Final Fantasy has been disappointing recently.
>>
File: 1494249022965.png (22KB, 1333x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1494249022965.png
22KB, 1333x1000px
>>390148168
Playstation FF5 is worth playing, pic related
>>
>>390125406
I liked it. It was most people's first JRPG on the SNES. I never played Final Fantasy on the NES (Dragon Warrior was my first JRPG) So this was a huge step-up.
>>
>>390146967
>This faggot comic that is designed to shame anybody who disagrees with any kind of central narrative
Wow. Really made me think. You definitely aren't a mouth breather
Just kidding LAWLEROONI
>>
>>390151632
If that's what you took away from that comic I think you might be stupid.
>>
>>390151412

Where is Lenna?
>>
>>390153401
At that time Lenna is gone from the party for a while.
>>
File: 1868043dbbece705646fafaee9dee133.png (850KB, 722x1002px) Image search: [Google]
1868043dbbece705646fafaee9dee133.png
850KB, 722x1002px
>>390138842
>>390139032
I liked the premise of a knight redeeming himself by taking care of the kid that he orphaned.
>>
File: ece3.jpg (249KB, 1153x934px) Image search: [Google]
ece3.jpg
249KB, 1153x934px
I love the intro sequence of this game when Cecil is still Captain of the Red Wings. There's a true sense of authority when you see him melt monsters with those magic items.

I have a question though, is the Bard's name Edward or Gilbert? This seems to differ between some of the versions, and I haven't played all of them.
>>
I think FF4 DS is a better remake than REmake.
>>
>>390125406
Gameplay is pretty crappy, you can barely customize your characters.
>>
>>390155283
yeah, because ff5 was so good, amirite
>>
>>390155787
It is.
>>
>>390129518
FFVII isn't even part of the Final Fantasy series. It stands apart, above and isolated from all others by it's sheer brilliance. When you type in Cid theme in Youtube, the theme for Cid from Final Fantasy 7 comes up. Not the theme from any of the other shit Final Fantasys that noone cares about. The graphical style is without peer, the perfectly proportioned models fit perfectly with the high art backgrounds that have never been eclipsed in any game before or since. The storytelling and dialogue convey some of the most fundamental ideas that rage within the human psyche. No other work of human literature can so effectively communicate the struggle of the id, ego and super ego that is the dynamic between Cloud, Zack and Sephiroth, and this is without even touching upon the indescribable masterwork of the main plot and the events within it. Final Fantasy VII is not just a game. It is a work of holy prophesy. It will probably end up becoming the basis of the next major human religion after the Fall.
>>
File: 160px-Ff5_exdeath.jpg (163KB, 688x1000px) Image search: [Google]
160px-Ff5_exdeath.jpg
163KB, 688x1000px
>>390155787
yes actually.
>>
>>390157678
It actually is. It's not a bad song by any means but I wasn't sure it would be the top.
Thread posts: 177
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.