[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are Japanese games so fucking great? Is it because Japs are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 11

File: japan.jpg (239KB, 1715x1166px) Image search: [Google]
japan.jpg
239KB, 1715x1166px
Why are Japanese games so fucking great? Is it because Japs are smart as fuck? You'd never see a game like Persona 5 made in the West.
>>
>>390124974
>Why are Japanese games so fucking great?
>Persona 5
You would see something like that come out the west actually since they like to produce shit.
>>
>>390124974
Hey at least the guns will be real instead of having to use airsoft models and muh cognition. Probably dont even need to fuse demons since you already are one
>>
Because they have no immigration issue
>>
>>390124974
Because they prioritize gameplay and user experience based on fun instead of a deep, """intellectual""" message. They focus on what the user would like, not what the dev wants the user to "get".
Also their indie devs are there not for the money, but for creating something that gains it's reputation as enjoyable. To make a name.

Also, even when they do a politically critic game, they do it while making it fun first so you get masterpieces like Phoenix Wright instead of a walking simulator.
>>
>>390124974
>japan
>great game
Nice keks
>>
>>390124974
I will admit they are infinitely more creative than the west, in ways I can't even grasp.
>>
>>390124974
Because their backbreaking work culture forces them to make the most amazing game possible or they're a shame to their family and have to publicly commit sudoku
>>
>>390124974
Since gaming got popular japanese games are struggling more than ever. They were only king because there wasn't much competition. Some of them still can do quality work but the most makes mediocre titles. You'd never see a game like Elder Scrolls or Fallout made in the East. There is a certain developer attitude they can't or don't want to change. For example the stiffness. Japanese games are usually focus on a very narrow experience and painfully don't care about anything else. Everything but the characters are just set pieces and have no interaction with the mechanics. Japanese games completly miss the natural feeling western developers aspire to.
>>
>>390124974
I was with you until "Persona." That game is shamelessly made for American weeaboo.
>>
>>390125974
spotted the Nintendo kid

well-written Japanese games of yore have some of the best and most involving story weaving and world building, and it's a big part of why they're still a cornerstone of the international market, despite aping western market trends to stay afloat nowadays
>>
>>390124974
>invent gachapon
>applies it to video games
>make barebones video games that still sells anyway
As smart as the goddamn Jews, I'd say
>>
>>390124974
>You'd never see a game like Persona 5 made in the West.
that's because the west has standards and makes actually good games
>>
>>390126992
Oh really like PlayerUnknown's UnityGrounds?
>>
>>390125974
>Because they prioritize gameplay and user experience based on fun instead of a deep, """intellectual""" message.
>Persona 5

lol
>>
>>390126180
Rain World vs Musou number 8000
>>
>>390126992
>actually makes good games
>it's another ww2 shooter
>it's another future shooter
>oh look doom's back
>it's another sandbox
>it's another crafter
>it's another zombie game
>it's another borderlands tier post apocalyptic game
>good game

go back to the fog you cuck
>>
File: 1479449575816.png (688KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1479449575816.png
688KB, 1280x720px
>>390127070
Japan likes it so yeah.
>>
only the good games get localized. still, their good games are better than the west's "good" games
>>
>>390124974
To create a game such as Persona 5 you need
>A strong vision from a competent director to lead the development
>Talented artists in every field (character design, UI, music, sound effect, etc)
>Writers who aren't afraid to touch on controversial issues without lecturing the audience
>Plenty of time to make sure the game is released in an acceptable state
>No meddling from the publisher about creative control
Basically no studio in the West have these all, and even in Japan it's becoming rarer. The biggest difference though is that in Japan directors are actually respected as creative leaders, while in the West it is those with the money who have the final say, and corporate suits are not game designers
>>
>>390127094
If you think Persona 5 has a serious message you're a fucking retard. It's just teenagerz wit attitude delivering justice to rotten adults for plot reasons. Literally done in every media ever. You could compare it to the plot of Power Rangers.
Yet it fucking delievers while having a retarded plot like that since it just has to be good enough, because it's secondary to the other aspects of the game, like gameplay or art direction.
>>
>>390124974
People who have strong work ethic (sometimes too strong) and true passion to make things they love without having to worry about getting destroyed in the media and not being able to do their passion anymore. It really is that simple.
>>
>>390124974
I'd argue they are more auteur, making them more unique and personal. Yet they still manage to bring up the same tropes and Japanese idiosyncrasies repeatingly.

I wouldn't call them no more great than Western games, but they certainly have more unique quirks here and there.
>>
Western devs like to play it safe.
>>
I cant wait until every Japanese dev ends up becoming like Konami and let's /v/ still try to defend Japan.

Capcom is already heading that path by ruining or shelving all the IPs that fucking matter for casual trash.
>>
>>390124974
Japanese games are generally way worse than the western ones, weebs just like them more.

When their version of an entire genre is mostly bad, like their "RPGs" you really can't say japanese game are great.
>>
>>390128035
/thread
>>
File: 1504862671197.jpg (77KB, 480x328px) Image search: [Google]
1504862671197.jpg
77KB, 480x328px
>>390124974

The only 'good' Jap games in the last 5 years have been Bloodborne and arguably P5, (both of which are overrated).

SMT has crashed, Nintendo is literally Ubisoft-tier, FF is the most JUST franchise in vidya and has been for years, Fire Emblem hasn't innovated in a decade, Valkyria has gone full moe, Smash Bros has lost everything that made it great, Zelda went full Skyrim, DoA is now microtransaction junction, and nip fighting games haven't done anything new since we were in elementary school.

Weebs will obviously defend all of this, but that's to be expected from retards with no standards. Gaming as a whole is fucked right now.
>>
>>390128035

I've also heard often that good studios in the west get gobbled up by big companies like Activision and eventually torn apart and scattered to different projects.

Do Japanese devs suffer the same bullshit?
>>
>>390124974
>Why are nintendo games so fucking great?

FTFY
>>
What western games have great 3rd person combat? Often heard God of War praised. Its good, but honestly felt like a slower DMC to me.
>>
>>390128991

No worse. They just fade away into obscurity or do tie in animations for other companies. Getting gobbled up by a big company like Square Enix or Nintendo is actually a godsend since they can still do their stuff and be funded.
>>
the problem with asian games is that they are so narrow in what they deliver

>tactics, turn based game
>hack n slash
>social game
>open world rpg with cash shop
>>
>>390128950
>Zelda went full Skyrim

It may have yet its one of the best open worlds I've played in so far. Theres just a lot more that's actually been designed than copy-pasted. As repetetive as shrines were they were most were unique puzzles vs draugr caves.
>>
>>390124974
JRPGs are generally boring and uncreative, just like anime.
>>
File: 1505102737840.jpg (20KB, 350x335px) Image search: [Google]
1505102737840.jpg
20KB, 350x335px
>>390128035

>in Japan directors are actually respected

Yes anon, yes they are.
https://youtu.be/sO9YimZy1YA

I unironically do like that they are, but the best balance between innovation and success is a hybrid between the current weatern, studio-driven dev cycle, and the nip, e-celeb director cycle. Michelangelo and Da Vinci were great because while they had creative discretion, they were also on a deadline with oversight from their sponsors, which taught them discipline and how to channel their craft effectively.
>>
>>390128128
Persona 5 is all about attacking the Japanese political system and how their society is structured to be "better to blend in than the nail that sticks out". Shido and his campaign is a jab at the policies and campaigns of Prime Minister Abe. Persona 5 is a very political game, but only if you are Japanese
>>
>>390128950
Play Fire Emblem Echoes because it innovates a lot despite being a remake, and is quite actually really good
>>
>>390127268
>it's another jrpg
>it's another jrpg this time with mediocre action combat
>>
>>390129554

>Shido and his campaign is a jab at the policies and campaigns of Prime Minister Abe

Tbf, it struck me as more of a critique of the Japanese political system as a whole, as well as their rigid society. Nip politics makes a Jeb vs. Hillary matchup seem groundbreaking from a change standpoint in comparison, to the point where it took a monster abusing the powers of the dark gods to offer any substantial change.
>>
>>390129853
The direct things are the posters aboard his ship, which translate to "I will reap the people of what they have and use it for my own personal gain", going after Abe's "Take Japan Back" campaign slogan. I forget all of it but i know there were more direct parallels between Shido and Abe as well.
>>
>>390130008

That's interesting, because Abe's more extreme policies always struck me as simply reactionary given the failure of our past administrations (and even the current one thus far) to help them out in the face of regional bullying even though we disarmed them.

Interesting shit.
>>
but P5 is garbage. only weeb manchilds faggots enjoy shit gameplay and retarded writing sugarcoated in anime faggotry.

That's the truth, deal with it weeb retards
>>
>>390124974
but japanese games are SHIT
>>
Western games are far better because some future african americans. I'm a huge activist in progressive movements and I dream of one day being with multiple black men and actually kiss their ass, literally, since I'm a huge SJW that likes to kiss ass day by day.
>>
>>390127268
>another musou
>another JRPG
>another musou
>another JRPG with half animal waifus this time
>>
>>390130706
>I'm obsessed with blacks because I've been redpilled by content creators obsessed with blacks
>>
>>390130706
You retarded fucks do realize that Japanese games are actually more progressive than Western games what with them putting in non-whites, homos, and female characters before it was considered cool to do?
>>
>>390124974
You're only playing the good ones, Japan produces a lot of shitty games too.
>>
They are the kings of escapism because their real lives are so shit
>>
File: 1477040551625.jpg (37KB, 480x653px) Image search: [Google]
1477040551625.jpg
37KB, 480x653px
Where are my superior 日本語-learning brethren?
>>
File: Microsoft.png (260KB, 914x812px) Image search: [Google]
Microsoft.png
260KB, 914x812px
>>390124974
>>
>>390126889
Name 1 japanese game with gacha that is not a mobile or F2P game.
>>
File: IMG_2039.jpg (504KB, 700x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2039.jpg
504KB, 700x1152px
>>390124974
Yes
>>
>>390124974
Man if you're gonna be a weeb at least like the good shit
Mainline SMT > Persona
>>
File: C33h3d_UoAA2qhT.jpg (49KB, 632x453px) Image search: [Google]
C33h3d_UoAA2qhT.jpg
49KB, 632x453px
>Japan has good ta-
*inhales*
>>
>>390133230
Here. I haven't played any games in japgo lately though. Maybe I'll do another Amagami route.
>>
>>390127268
>it's another school setting
>it's another gacha game
>>
P5 is just a generic VN with some dumbed down SMT gameplay sprinkled it
>>
Jap devs can make pretty good gameplay, but the problem is definitely their design and writing. I was very much into JRPGs when I was 14 but I can't handle faggy emo teenage tryhard characters anymore, however good the gameplay is nowadays. Just can't.
>>
File: poke.webm (3MB, 1274x694px) Image search: [Google]
poke.webm
3MB, 1274x694px
>>390126992
>that's because the west has standards and makes actually good games
HAHAHAHA
>>
File: 46r5x0B1tn55yo.jpg (39KB, 500x298px) Image search: [Google]
46r5x0B1tn55yo.jpg
39KB, 500x298px
Because good experience>realism
Japanese games can be weird as fuck but it doesn't make them bad. West now is mostly into boring good looking walking simulators, tho indie devs can make something great.
>>
>>390137146

what is exactly wrong with that scene?
>>
>>390125974
>Because they prioritize gameplay and user experience based on fun instead of a deep, """intellectual""" message.
You're hilariously clueless. Japs are the ones that probably try the hardest. Also western games are more likely to give dialogue any form of gameplay function and blend cutscenes into gameplay, whereas japanese games just cram everything with cutscenes. Their solution is usually to make this stuff easier to skip.
>They focus on what the user would like, not what the dev wants the user to "get".
This is funny, because one key difference Japanese developers usually attribute to Western devs is that they tend to give the payers more options and allow them to play the way they want, whereas Japanese developers prefer to make focused experience that the player has to "get used to".
>>
Western games may seem good if you're 15. Once you grow up you get tired of "realism" and edgy characters and start appreciating good stories and gameplay.
>>
>>390138562
>Japan
>good stories

Fedora mode.
>>
>>390129554

The second Japan loses that society structure it'll be the beginning of the end. We don't need Japan to become like the West.
>>
>>390138562
Yeah I have to agree, Neptunia has a really gripping plot.
>>
File: exorcisto.jpg (104KB, 640x479px) Image search: [Google]
exorcisto.jpg
104KB, 640x479px
The other day some anon posted about this new game and attempted for the first time an rpg after studying the language for some time and could understand around 30%, many kanji were just a problem, since I can't copy paste them for a translation. I'm glad I can now enjoy the depths of Japanese gaming
>>
>>390139013
>decent parody to the vidya industry (except for mk2/R;B2 which went full REEEE PIRACY autism)
>actually unique in case of V/R;B3 because you're playing not as someone who defeats the god, but as the goddesses who oppose the organization that wants to dispose of them
You're right, Neptunia plots are usually pretty good.
>>
>>390139092
Nobody cares loser weeb
>>
>>390139092
Man I'm glad kiliu is getting more recognized, that last game happypink made was great.
>>
>japs
>smart as fuck
>P5
>good game
>>
>>390124974
persona 5 is not an example of a good japanese game, it's an example of a massively autistic game
>>
>>390124974
small and more passionate companies. corporate meddling is what kills true creative drive.
maybe it's also a funding issue.
>>
>>390126661
Fuck off Todd
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.