[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone kind of wish handheld systems didn't exist anymore?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

File: 1389143666407.png (69KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1389143666407.png
69KB, 500x500px
Anyone kind of wish handheld systems didn't exist anymore?
Any game made for them is basically wasted potential since it could be done inherently better on console or PC.

Handhelds were great as a kid and before smart phones, but now as an adult I rarely leave my house, and if I do it's rarely in a situation where I can play a 3DS or vita, usually its just listening to music on my phone.

The only ones who get anything out of handhelds are normies in Japan and children everywhere else.
>>
True, I think most Vita & 3DS owners just play in their beds or something.
>>
I just hate how dated the hardware is. I feel bad for 3DS developers because the system came out in early 2011 and cell phones can already do better graphics.
>>
>>390019949
Nintendo is putting a lot of thought into dropping handhelds all together, so they're trying to drain as much from the 3DS as possible just in case.
>>
>>390020041
I guess, the install base is pretty big. But I feel shitty about my 3DS that I bought on release, and while the ambassador games are nice, I can't buy SNES games unless I get the updated model? Are you shitting me?
>>
>>390019949
Already? It was obsolete on release. Hell, even Vita was.
>>
>>390019720
>Any game made for them is basically wasted potential since it could be done inherently better on console or PC.
You're forgetting that handhelds are cheapter to develop for, which means developers can take greater risks. Who knows if games like Ace Attorney or Trauma Center would have ever gotten greenlit if they had to be produced for consoles.
>>
>>390019720
OP, please stop strumming the thread.
>>
>>390020213
>Eight replies
>Six different IPs
>>
I just took a trip to Arizona and got to use my switch a fair bit there.
>>
>>390020163
Aren't Ace Attorney assets literally just 2D images?
You realize they make those high res to begin with then scale them down, right?
Literally no difference in cost if they just made it for console
>>
I haven't had a real interest in handhelds for awhile, I don't even game on my phone either.
>>
>>390019720
>only children can use them
>they shouldn't exist
My god anon the entire world isn't about you
>>
>>390019720
I sometimes wonder what goes so wrong in someones life that not only do they post on /v/, they have completely idiotic and uninformed opinions like this.
>>
>>390020323
And nobody would've bought them. AA isn't a game for long gaming sessions, it's for short bursts of fun, handhelds ae much better suited for that.
>>
>>390020041

How exactly is them making their console into a handheld "dropping handhelds all together"? Just curious. Assuming the Switch is definitely counted as their next handheld, I guess it's the most console-like handheld to date, but still. They abandoned true home consoles for good, it seems.
>>
>>390020323
you're dodging the point, having lower-power platforms promotes diverse software, it's good for the industry
>>
>>390020323
For a long time handhelds were the only place to get 2D games since the industry deemed 3D the de-facto standard for all platforms that were capable of it. Combine that with the fact that unlike the west, Japan didn't really have an indie gaming market until recently.
>>
>>390020586
No, you are actually missing the point.
There is literally nothing stopping them from just making those games on consoles and have them be smaller projects.
>>
>>390020542
I didn't say they were doing it, try reading my post, I said they're putting thought into it. Japan is the main reason they focused on handhelds anyway, the rest of the planet is just icing on top. But Japan is moving away from handhelds since phones can basically do anything it can do and Nintendo's mobile profits are insanely high, so there have been talks of not making a new handheld period.
>>
>Handheld have to exist because the industry arbitrarily forces itself into certain packages and can't just ship out a small 35$ console game
>>
>>390020710
Again, most of those smaller projects would not sell because you have bigger games on big consoles, why spend time on small ones.
>>
>>390020710
the systems and their audiences have different standards. while atlus can get away with super low-poly models for trauma center organs because of the hardware limitations, they'd have to put in far more work if they wanted to put it on, say, the wii. of course, after trauma center sold well and proved to investors that such a weird game can be profitable it ended up actually reaching the wii, but there's no guarantee that the team would have been able to justify the greater development costs if that were the original pitched platform.
>>
>>390020868
If games only sell because you're being held hostage by hardware then...they don't really sound like good games or games that deserve to sell.
>>
>>390019720
Gf watches TV I'm playing gotta protectors on 3ds. Works for me buddy.
>>
>>390021063
You just proved his point.
>>
>>390019841
I can confirm, I bought my switch to play games in bed while vinesauce streams play on my television, why am I like this
>>
>>390020972
also, to expand upon what >>390020654 mentioned, console players are a very different market in general compared to handheld players. the games are more expensive to purchase so consumers have to be more discerning, which means games have to be better marketed (more $$$$)
>>
I wish more games where,on handhelds. I like watching TV and playing games at the same time. Plus I travel a lot.
>>
File: file.png (463KB, 569x767px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
463KB, 569x767px
>>390021271
Why do kids like you watch old man streamers? Are they some kind of substitute dad? I guess that would explain the calling streamers daddy shift I see all the time.
>>
>>390021847
>e calling streamers daddy s

That's a gay/woman thing.
>>
>>390021885
Then why watch some old fart play games?
>>
>>390019720
You're right.
I own handhelds and consoles but I'd rather I could play everything on PC and Android if the game has to be played on something small for some reason.
>>
>>390021847
I like watching Previously Recorded streams because I find all the behind the scenes stuff with redlettermedia interesting and they're genuinely not trying to ham it up at all like other streamers. Don't care much for most streamers, just thought that kinda stuck out on the topic of old men streaming.
>>
>>390019720
Nah.
There are a lot of games that simply couldn't work on a system other then a handheld, especially when it comes to DS games.
Plus the portability is a nice thing to have.
>>
The Switch has the right idea, but I hate the execution. It's basically the worst of both worlds, it's too big to be a proper handheld, it's a fucking tablet, it doesn't reliably fit in your pocket and you could be causing unnecessary strain on the device by carrying it around in your pocket anyways, you basically need to have a dedicated carrying bag to bring with you for the damn thing which at that point you might as well bring a laptop and do way more. On the other end, it's super underpowered as a home console, every game made on it has tons of concessions because of the handheld hardware built into the fucking thing. On top of that it has a myriad of bullshit design flaws because it was made to be portable first and a home console second, not being able to have a wired internet connection without buying a USB adapter is absolutely bullshit, the system chat is notoriously horrible and has been pushed off to your phone which defeats the purpose, and the dock in general is just a huge pain in the ass.

What I would much rather like to see even though it will never happen is almost what Sony had with the PS4 and the Vita except with both devices designed for it from the ground up. Have an ecosystem where every game runs on both platforms but obviously one is much weaker and has power and graphical limitations in favor of being portable and the other is the fully unlocked power of a home console. Developers might hate having to make multiple versions of their games but we already have that problem now with all the different platforms and shit like the PS4 Pro and the Bone X. Have the two sync natively whenever they can so you're always taking your game with you. It'd be more expensive but I would much rather have dedicated specialized devices than one device that does both but kinda sucks.
>>
>>390020271
Samefag
>>
>>390022215
It's all fun and games until it's a Jakc-only episode.
>>
File: 1418532845003.png (199KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
1418532845003.png
199KB, 560x560px
>nintendo STILL intends to make a 3ds successor
>they don't consider switch a handheld

What are they planning, /v/?

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2017/02/tatsumi_kimishima_talks_about_a_potential_3ds_successor
>>
File: 1494360343045.png (18KB, 259x224px) Image search: [Google]
1494360343045.png
18KB, 259x224px
>>390019720
that's a really cute lammy
>>
>>390023668
Nothing. They're going to wait until the 3DS dies and do nothing. This is what they do literally every time they release new hardware. "No this doesn't replace this, yes we will keep supporting both, Nintendo family of hardware." Eventually games will stop coming out for 3DS and whoops now you have to buy a Switch how did that happen.
>>
>Playing games on a phone that require any more input than a JRPG
You deserve to suffer
>>
>>390019720
> As an adult I rarely leave the house
There's your problem OP. Most adults aren't still being supported by their parents
>>
>>390023974
Seriously. Touch controls were a mistake
>>
>>390023668
>>nintendo STILL intends to make a 3ds successor
The Switch should have been a home console for fuck sake. It's suffering because of its handheld nature and Nintendo are still planning a 3DS successor.
>32 GB on-board memory
>Nintendo charges devs extra for bigger Switch carts
>Devs are obviously going to take advantage or being able to download large chunks of the game like NBA
>Forced to use fucking MicroSDs because it's a handheld
>To top it off the Switch's battery is going to die sooner than later because it's always charging in the dock so it's going to be a home console eventually
>Battery placement is shit so replacements aren't going to be simple and easy
>>
>>390019720
NIGGER
>>
try wario land 4 op
>>
>>390023668
Nintendo is not making a bloody 3ds successor. its like back when they unveiled the ds they were all like "hurrdurr 3rd pillar we arent killing the gameboy line dont worry guys", and see how that turned out.

if they were why would they merge their handheld and console divisions?
>>
>>390021271
What the fuck are you me? Vinny or Joel?
>>
>>390019720
DS/3DS has value for games because of the dual screen. There are also plenty of genres that are traditionally put on handhelds that would die out on consoles/PC. Not just genres, but budget/scope.

Different platforms give different opportunities for different genres to shine. Advocating for their removal is shortsighted at best and fucking moronic at worst. You're only superficially looking at your own personal experience rather than examining the industry as a whole.
>>
>>390020783

But why would they go in the total opposite direction and make their home console portable, if fewer people are looking for a mobile dedicated gaming system?
>>
>>390023849
>>390024646
>>390024884
Nintendo would have to be absolutely insane to stop making handhelds. There's zero sense in "merging" their handhelds and consoles when they appeal to different markets, doing so would ultimately lead to the company making a lot less money. The Wii and DS were both wildly successful even though they were active at around the same time. The 3DS was slightly less successful than the DS but still made a hefty profit. Giving up on all that money just to assuage some autistic Switch fans is just nonsensical.

Seriously Switchdrones, stop trying to force your OCD on Nintendo, and don't get mad when they actually do the financially sensible thing.
>>
>>390022478
Laptop weighs at least a kilo. Switch is 300 grams and smaller than A4 paper.
>>
File: kya.jpg (25KB, 377x327px) Image search: [Google]
kya.jpg
25KB, 377x327px
Fuck no. While i agree that they should at least have a music player to listen music while playing vidya, i prefer handheld consoles because of their plug & play, game-oriented nature. Handhelds are the only consoles that still feel like consoles rather than shitty PCs thanks to Microkikes not stepping in.
Now with nintendo already discretely jumping ship with their hybrid console and sony going full retard with the Vita, handhelds could not be anymore dead, sad to see good guys losing again.

Smartphones are also a shitty platform for developing vidya.
>small screens reduce accuracy
>bigger screens reduce portability
>touchscreen controls are shit
>but no one wants to buy a detachable gamepad or a stylus
>buying mobile games is not convenient so everyone bloats games with ads and microtransactions
Do i even need to mention "copypaste-or-die" lack of publishing control?
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.