[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is blizzard investing so much money into pushing this game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 9

File: 10k viewers btw.png (134KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
10k viewers btw.png
134KB, 1500x1000px
Why is blizzard investing so much money into pushing this game as an esport when their official tournaments can barely pull 10k viewers?

The wow tournament today had more viewers than contenders. A game that is 10 years older pulled more viewers than this game blizzard is pumping literally millions into, trying to force it to become the next big esport.
>>
>>389919359
Overwatch has no depth so its boring form a competitive point. Its not fun to play competitively, so its not fun to watch it either.
>>
>>389919359
Holy shit this game still exists? But why?
>>
>>389919418
The game is not fun to watch because you can't tell what the fuck is happening in a team fight due to all the shit happening at once.
>>
>>389919541
it does
and somehow blizzard has duped a bunch of retarded big shot investors into buying into cities to compete in the league. I think the minimum buy in is 1 million dollars.

In an interview, one of the guys in charge of overwatch league said he expected the league to be bigger than the nfl at some point, which just clues you into blizzards delusion.
>>
>>389919359
They are still pushing it? I feel like the hype has died down greatly besides people who also play it and people who use to watch it have moved onto PUBG or whatever. The Overwatch League was something I was interested in seeing develop, but they barely had any new things about it for months on end and I thought it was dead. Then I go on Twitch because I thought there was an Overwatch esports match and usually when esports is on Twitch it is in the first row or at least the second but at the time I checked it was almost on the third row. Fucking depressing.
>>
halo had more viewers than the overwatch tournies lmao
>>
>>389919549
That too.

Overwatch is fundamentally flawed from a gameplay perspective.
There's too many characters and none of them have the needed depth to them. Its more about what characters make up your team rather than how the characters are played.
A better alternative would have been fewer characters with more unique mechanics, more abilities and more depth. Having optional abilities would have helped greatly to add more of a personal touch to each character.

Also no dedicated healers would have saved the community from being total shit.
>>
>>389919359
Haven't like all the professional OW teams pulled out? Jeff is a dipshit, OW updates too slowly and too drastically to have a steady competitive presence but the game is fueled by casuals, you can't appease both parties so they should just focus on the people who actually play the game and give them money.
>>
>>389919549
mostly because of the insanely narrow FOV
>>
There's a lot of money to make in esports
>>
>>389919731
I think the peak viewers for a tournament this game has ever gotten was like 40k, which is still a paltry amount compared to who blizzard considers their competitors.
>>
>>389919983
not when your game is fundamentally flawed from a spectators perspective.
>>
>>389919359
Street Fighter V, a fundamentally flawed fighting game a community practically says is shit, typically pulls in more viewers. That should tell you everything you need to know about how shit Overwatch League is.
>>
File: 1502476681347.jpg (144KB, 958x538px) Image search: [Google]
1502476681347.jpg
144KB, 958x538px
>>389919549
>>
>People still play Overwatch
>People play "competitive" overwatch
>People watch OW tournaments

They might as well take all that money they invested and throw into a giant flaming hole. Watching "competitive" overwatch is like watching competitive Super Smash Bros Brawl
>>
>>389919359
>$2 million dollars to start a team
>>
They probably just have some contracts with stakeholders that they can't break by dropping support for the competition yet.
>>
File: 1476153157531.jpg (94KB, 649x854px) Image search: [Google]
1476153157531.jpg
94KB, 649x854px
>One sizeable sponsor who has already done a handful of deals within esports was reputedly driven away after the size of the sponsorship kept being increased over a series of meetings. “The sponsor said that for the money Blizzard were asking they could have bought into the NFL” a source informed us “and Blizzard told them that this league will be bigger than the NFL. At that point they pulled out.”
>>
>>389920323
>Watching "competitive" overwatch is like watching competitive Super Smash Bros Brawl

I couldn't agree more.
>>
>>389919359

Problem is they don't let the community grow first before pushing ESPORTS.
>>
>>389920487
That is also true, the game didn't have a full year in the market, updates are slow and the community was just starting to reach more people due to word of mouth and such and they just announced it at the end of 2016. Blizzard really were overzealous.
>>
>>389920436
>blizzard is this delusional
>>
Because Bobby Kotick said they spent $500 million on "infrastructure" for OWL so they're going to force it as hard as they can. Not only that but he's been telling people that Overwatch has 30 million players, not accounts, and that there's 75,000 professional Overwatch players. Instead of letting the competitive side grown on its own Blizzard went in, smothered most existing tournaments and then made it very difficult to get a license so you had a situation where there was only a single LAN event for the west over the course of six months. The game isn't built for spectating anyways, it's a giant mess with mirror comps and coordinated Q pressing.
>>
>>389920323
>>389920457
Brawl has way more depth than OW. This is coming from someone who dislikes Brawl. OW feels like trying to make Karate Champ competitive
>>
I can understand fighting games. Anyone who has picked up a controller/pad and tried to play it knows it takes a certain level of skill to perform well and it's more interesting to watch a match between two people.

Anybody who's picked up Overwatch knows the skill ceiling isn't very high, it doesn't take a skilled player to perform well and watching a garbled mess of colour and flashing lights on the screen whilst commentators try to make heads or tails of the fucking event really isn't a good idea.
>>
99% of overwatch players are on console. Blizzard needs to stop treating overwatch like a pc exclusive.
>>
>>389920319
Yeah I've been watching demos of competitive fps games for like 10 years and Overwatch is the only one that I have trouble following. It's not because there's too much going on or the game is too complicated or even because the fov is tiny - it's just that you can't see. The game is full of particle effects and screen overlays that just obscure your view and make the game feel claustrophobic and the actual game art just goes straight to shit under any amount of compression.
>>
Is it still true they are asking for 20 mil dollars in order for a team to franchise?
>>
Characters have too much health. You don't have that room to make amazing plays like in CS:Go because tanks exist to soak up your damage. The best you can hope for is to get a lucky Q and kill them all with no skill required
>>
>>389920870
console overwatch is an even bigger joke
>>
>>389920846
>Anybody who's picked up Overwatch knows the skill ceiling isn't very high

I've seen people here argue OW is deep and complex. I bet reddit and the Battle.net community would say something similar. I know WoWfags think fighters are shallow, so I don't doubt that their sister Blizzdrones would believe OW has way more depth than competitive fighting games.
>>
>>389920319
Is this Battleborn?
>>
>>389920846
t. bronze shitter
>>
>"pro" overwatch
>same comp vs same comp
>except change the genji for a soldier once in a while
>commentators trying to say how good the match is when it is a 3 minute stall on a 2CP map because Blizzard doesn't know how to balance respawns

When it's Ana Genji Tracer Winston Dva Lucio every single match it gets really, really boring ot watch.
>>
>>389921043
Yes, but apparently it's something like $5 million upfront and the other $15 million over the next few years. Still ridiculous for a game whose tournaments get less views than Rocket League tournaments.
>>
>>389921070
This is why overwatch is dying, pc niggers can't stop acting superior to compensate for their inferior real lives.
>>
File: modern FPS.jpg (849KB, 2419x840px) Image search: [Google]
modern FPS.jpg
849KB, 2419x840px
>>389920319
hero shooters were a mistake
>>
>>389920742
>coordinated Q pressing
Describes this game pretty well.
>>
>balance the game around casual play
>pros and high ranked pubs complain that the meta sucks and the patches are unhealthy
>wonder why throwing money at tournaments doesn't make it popular

People just don't care about who's the best at overwatch.
>>
>>389920742

They've learned absolutely nothing from what happened with starcraft 2, didn't they?
>>
>>389921417
i would play the fuck out of the game on the left
>>
>>389921391
"competitive" overwatch on pc is a joke. I can't imagine what a trashcan cluster fuck it must be on console. Aim assist, inferior fps controls, little children everywhere.
>>
File: 1479478817048.png (170KB, 500x507px) Image search: [Google]
1479478817048.png
170KB, 500x507px
>>389919359
You have two choices.

>COD-style franchies where long-term engagement means having multiple studios devoted to cranking annual/near-annual franchises

>one big franchise expected to ride out a generation or two on a single entry with consistent community engagement from constant updates and other things

There's a lot of money in esports, and the hero shooter, the bastard child of objective based class shooters and MOBAs? Well, that's right on target to reap.

The big issue is that Overwatch just has a poor skill ceiling and a very stale meta(i.e. the most interesting thing to happen in high level play recently was Koreans using Doomfist and Pharah to demolish dive), on top of its high TTK compared to something like CS:GO, Quake or TF2 making it kind of a chore to watch.

The other half of it is that a lot of Activision associates have pumped a lot of money into OW League already, you better believe they're gonna do everything they can salvage this bitch.
>>
File: 1493372124895.webm (897KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1493372124895.webm
897KB, 1280x720px
>>389919549
This is very correct.
CS:GO was actually failing to draw in high viewer numbers early on, and it wasn't a very big scene until they made one important change to the observers: wallhack.
Now the very fundamental aspect of a spectator sport becomes apparent: they need to have access to more information than the players do. Because they can see whats happening, this moves their view from one of reaction at the same pace as the player, to one ahead of them.

Fields of sports the world over are setup with the spectators having the prime view of the entire 'battlefield' and that information lets them feel good about what was likely to occur, but even better when those outcomes don't.
Starcraft 2 was built from the ground up trying to use these principles, but that game has far more other flaws.
>>
People watch FPS to see insane skill at aiming and reaction times and all that jazz. OW has none of those things. The game revolves around charging ultimates and timing them efficiently with your team. It's just boring to watch and as judged by the game's low retention of players, quickly boring to play as well.
>>
File: chibi_snek_uses_the_internet.png (22KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
chibi_snek_uses_the_internet.png
22KB, 400x400px
>Make a season system just like LoL
>Except seasons are reset every two months
>Then you have to do your placement all over again
>Even if you do well,they'll most likely put you much lower than where you were last season,meaning that you have to climb again
>The meta will either change in the middle of the season because Jeff wants it to or it won't change at all
gee,no wonder no one cares about it,it's not like nobody was retarded enough to try and stay ranked higher than Diamond
>>
Blizzard think that they can hose money at their games and force a successful e-sport, nobody wants to watch press Q: the game, pillar-hump: the game or the shitty wow dungeon tournament.
>>
File: 1.png (84KB, 914x905px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
84KB, 914x905px
>>389921591
Nope, here's the coach of the best team in the world talking about it.
>>
>>389921640
More kids play on pc and mobile now.
>>
>>389921935
This is the most baffling part of how they designed their ranked system. I guess it's supposed to make newcomers ladder quickly through attrition (more people quit during a season, next season people who don't quit increase in rank by default), to give them an artificial sense of progression, but it's really just pushing out players who want to play more than 1 game during a week.
>>
Times for Paladins to shine!
>>
To give people a reason to complain about it on /v/
>>
>>389922050
Mobile sure but I don't see any kids that ever touch a desktop PC.
>>
>>389921935
To be fair, this last season stopped the artificial 200 to 300 SR placement. I think I placed within 50 SR of what I ended with the last season.
>>
Blizzard needs to make the meta be 3/4 DPS. Everyone wants to play DPS. Everyone wants to watch DPS. Nerf tanks across the board. Support is the girlfriend role.
>>
>>389922120
Now if only they didn't choose to stream it exclusively on Facebook of all things.
>>
>>389919359
Because overwatch isn't made for competitive
>>
>>389922875
Facebook has got to be my least favourite streaming platform, and I'm including shady russian acestreams and those dodgy sports streams with layers of ads on top that open popunders when you try and click their tiny little xs.
>>
>>389921068
>You don't have that room to make amazing plays like in CS:Go
you don't have room to make amazing plays like in CSGO because that game actually depends on your positioning and gamesense and angles, with overwatchs different characters and weapons and mobility options it's just a mindless q pressing clusterfuck
>>
>>389921640
Console has less players, thus less cancer, though the children complaint stands.
>>
Overwatch is popular and successful.
Stay mad
>>
>>389923604
Are you gonna post proof or hope to farm (You)s ?
>>
>>389922317
Have you been on any popular multiplayer PC game lately?

The PC Master Race meme + Steam as a platform led to a huge surge of kiddos jumping ship from console to PC.
>>
Because neo-blizzard doesn't understand how to develop a competitive scene.

They think that pumping money into OW like they did with SC2 will foster a competitive scene, what they didn't know is that SC2 was ruined by its competitive focus development and everyone simply went back to SC:BW anyway.

Pumping money into an esports scene doesn't make a good competitive game, what makes a good competitive game is simply having a competitive nature to the game, and making it fun enough that people keep coming back, OW and SC2 have neither of those qualities as they're developed for no-lifers who simply want free money.
>>
>>389923462
I dunno, I've seen amazing mindgames being played just so T's can make a roundabout approach to a demolition site.
>>
>>389923604
Basically this.
/v/ is just hating becaus3 it's popular with norni3s and because MUH SJW TRACERA
>>
>>389924221
Everyone I know who plays it quit already.

And every time I go back the queue times become significantly longer, we're talking 10+ minutes long
>>
>>389919359

It's a shame too even brain dead games like dota has more viewers
>>
>>389924289
how's bronze?
>>
>>389923462
>you don't have room to make amazing plays

You certainly do and it happens regularly. Maps and TTK are designed so you can't successfully gaurd every angle like you can with chokepointwatch.

https://youtu.be/AR7lvZJXBhE
>>
>>389924591
it's cute that you take pride in the rank you've achieved in this dead game
>>
>>389924849
>>389924170
you dumb niggers im agreeing with you
>>
>>389924910
so how's bronze?
>>
>>389919717
No way this could be real.
>>
>>389921965
You know Blizzard is shitting the bed big time when Riot fucking Games of all people is portrayed in a positive light in any meaningful way.
>>
>>389924961
i barely played the game and hit diamond
>>
>>389921935
It's bad enough MMR exists exclusively to fuck you and that your rank is meaningless, but admitting the ranking system is intentionally bad while leaving stuff like hidden SR gains for certain characters is baffling. Just awful design decisions all around.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.