[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>playing ironman >take my A team into a mission >8 turn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 4

File: header[1].jpg (106KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header[1].jpg
106KB, 460x215px
>playing ironman
>take my A team into a mission
>8 turn limit to hack a station
>ok sounds tough but I'll manage
>take 10 steps and there's an Andromedon surrounded by Codexes
>first time seeing an Andromedon, don't know what to expect
>kill all 3 of them and the fucking thing comes back to life and oneshots my sniper
>kill it and now have 4 turns left to hack the station
>double time it with my ranger to the building I have to go to
>it triggers two more packs of fucking enemies
>there's like 5 elite soldiers and a huge fucking mech
>what the fuck
>aid protocol my ranger and throw a mimic beacon
>they kill the mimic in two turns and then kill my ranger
>3 turns to hack the station
>reinforcements get dropped on top of the building I need to go in
>there's now 8 elite officers/stunlancers/shielders and a mech standing in front of the fucking building
>extract my remaining soldiers and they get back to base with like 10 days to recover each
>everything spins out of control and that bald cunt won't shut the fuck up
>game slowly spinning out of control and i'm getting flooded with these obnoxious pace breaking messages constantly

Holy fuck I haven't been so pissed at a game since I had to swim up the waterfall in Mystical Ninja when I was 9. I usually like being rewarded for good play and limiting my ability to save scum, but this is just fucking unreal. Some of these generated levels are so stacked against you that it's a waste of fucking time.
>>
have you tried gitting gud?
>>
File: xcom.jpg (94KB, 640x720px) Image search: [Google]
xcom.jpg
94KB, 640x720px
>Play ironman
>Get upset when things dont go your way
Xcom is not for you
>>
Ok, take a step back, deep breath, relax.

How much intel do you have? check the black market as its always selling at least one high ranking soldier. Use that to help replace the losses.

Andromedons are considered a living thing while on its first health bar, and a robot on the 2nd. Use flashbangs or PSIonics to render them useless or even mind control them to have a powerful ally and meat shield. They can be hacked on the 2nd health bar to fight for you as well.

Never dash into the fog of war unless the unit is concealed. Its good to have at least two concealed rangers to act as scouts for all timed missions.

Just keep researching and upgrading your gear, losing 3 soldiers in a mission is nothing to lose the entire campaign over.
>>
>>389912723
I have very low intel because I've been using it to keep the avatar facilities under control. I've actually recovered from the soldier loss decently well (bought them from HQ) but the stuff they were holding is now gone as well and I don't have enough materials to make them again.

I'm kinda starving for materials. Or I guess more accurately is I don't quite know what a good build path is. I only just now got my first psionic soldier after the mission where you fight the gatekeeper for the first time.

What would you consider more important? Psionics or general weapon/squad upgrades?
>>
>>389910489
If andromedons are already showing up you should have at least mag weapons, people with shredding and maybe even bluescreen rounds and salvo, so maybe you should try learning to play the game first, or you'll get memed time after time.
>>
>>389910489
Don't ever play Ironman. Especially on Xcom2.

The game is too buggy. Every play through has at least 2-3 occasions of getting spotted through solid walls and other glitchs.
>>
>>389913146
General upgrades, but PSIonics are OP as fuck once you get them going.
>>
>>389913420
I don't have a full set up of mag weapons.

In fact, I have the ability to make pulse weapons right now and I still haven't upgraded my sniper, gatling, etc yet.

I do have shotgun/assault rifle mags.
>>
>new game
>first two months no missions reward engineers
>no engineers at the black market
>finally get an engineer mission in fucking mid may
>guy on flank gets mind controlled
>grenades everyone else's cover
>death
>panic
>death
>evac one guy
>still no engineers
>>
>>389913146
Dude, don't take it as an insult, but if you're meeting gatekeepers without plasma and lost shit like DLC weapons, you should probably restart your campaign on a lower difficulty and without ironmeme.

Here's a good build order:
>Vanilla
GTS > AWC > Proving Ground
>WOTC
Resistance Ring > GTS > Training Center / Proving Ground
Also, in WOTC you're gonna want to have a power relay on a power coil for that boost, so keep in mind where to put it and put a workshop close to it so you can field gremlins.
>>
>>389913836
You're playing LW2? In that case, try playing on a lower difficulty than you did in vanilla, it's extremely grindy but still throws you enough chances to recover from certain losses once you're used to it
>>
>>389913868
The second or third mission always gives you an engineer.
>>
>>389913934
I'm under the impression that gatekeepers start showing up after that one mission.

And I have the ability to make the pulse weapons. I just.... haven't
>>
>>389914502
I'm playing with the story shit off.
>>
File: 1487975866418.jpg (38KB, 585x501px) Image search: [Google]
1487975866418.jpg
38KB, 585x501px
>tfw play on Easy and modded out mission timers
>>
>>389914541
Oh, you rushed story missions then. You're not supposed to do that, the same for the DLC missions.
I guess the game is really shit at pointing out things like this, even if you manage to finish them, the game will think you're way ahead and start throwing shit you can't possibly deal with your way.
>>
>>389914670
Hell yeah man I play on too, this game is game is fucking brutal. When I get WotC on PS4 tomorrow I will play on Normal again. On my last run I ended up with like 15 Colonels and a bunch of troops because nobody ever died after July.
>>
>all these faggots not running full SPARK teams
Does not compute.
>>
>>389910489
Playing ironman blind is painful but you will learn. I managed to do an undying commander ironman run... eventually
>>
>>389910489
>sprinting into unscouted territory
Try not being a shitter next time
>>
>>389910489
sometimes you lose all your guys especially if you do badly (like you did). treat it as a learning experience and move on

you most likely won't complete your first playthrough on ironman. just try your best to learn and do better your next playthrough
>>
>>389915620
Playing blind is great. I remember wiping my first run because I had no idea skullfucking was gonna summon a codex
>>
>>389910489
You need to have infiltration at 100% minimum for nearly every mission
>>
>>389914652
The very first guerilla op is guaranteed to give you an engineer.
>>
>>389916694
No it's not.
>>
>>389917079
Yes, it is. Unless you managed to fail it, your very first proper mission WILL give you an engineer.
>>
>>389910489
>use that Colonel Skirmisher skill that lets you take an action when an enemy moves
>works like 50% of the time
>use that 2 shot ability
>shoots once
t-thanks jake
the expansion is pretty fun though
>>
>>389914930
>this game is game is fucking brutal
>I will play on Normal again
>I ended up with like 15 Colonels
>nobody ever died after July
one of these is not like the others
>>
>>389910489
Can you play Ironman on veteran? There's not an option to when I start a new game on veteran.

I tried to do a commander Ironman game and got my shit pushed in within like eight missions. I'm not good enough for it.
>>
>take a team with full will to kill a chosen
>they all end up shaken and out of commission for two weeks
every time
>>
>>389917143
No it doesn't.
>>
>>389913868
>Lying
>>
>>389910489
Always send a scout ahead in concealment, especially on timed missions.
>>
>>389910489
>waterfall in Mysical Ninja
Holy shit anon, I had forgotten about that bullshit. I remember getting the rest of my family to try that shit, took me forever to beat that.
>>
>>389918489
Either you are lying or you just failed the first mission and didn't realize youmissed out on the reward.
>>
>>389919680
Or the rule you've made up is wrong.
>>
>>389919780
It has held true for literally every single campaign I have played. I have played loads.
>>
>>389920842
It hasn't held true for me.
>>
>>389921145
I don't believe you. Unless you've modded your game heavily, I'm still palying vanilla.
>>
File: 1494932207930.png (396KB, 635x635px) Image search: [Google]
1494932207930.png
396KB, 635x635px
>>389910489
>Ironman
I'm proud of you son.
>>
>>389921145
>>389921270
Yes you get an engineer, don't know if annoying troll
>>
I'm way too retarded for Ironman, I'm constantly misclicking and sending my soldiers running off to the middle of nowhere.
I like the expansion overall. They did a great job with the Chosen and their personalities and banter. They could've been a bit more difficult to deal with in combat though, Assassin was the only one that gave me a hard time. I like the faction units, but I feel like they could've done more with the factions themselves. Maybe make their rep more involved than 'oh do a few missions to hunt the chosen.' Maybe some missions with bonus objectives from the factions that would be difficult to do more than one of.
>>
>>389912723
This is legit the first time I think I've ever read well thought out help to a player in need on this shithole without it being marred in sarcasm or bile.

You are an anonicorn.
>>
>>389910489
>Ironman Classic
>Going good, haven't lost a single man, month 3.
>Catch an advent squad with their pants down, kill everyone save one.
>Run up with my ranger, 100% chance of death.
>Click button, realize it was a purifier.
>Purifiers explode on death.
>Have six seconds of watching my guy go commit suicide.

I've only seen purifiers, priests, and the codex wannabes, I'm sure I'll have some new things to get used to as well.
>>
>>389922564
I wish purifiers were a bit more threatening outside of the possible explosion. I'm always shocked if they actually manage to hit someone with their attack.
>>
>>389913515
PSI is really great if you can have a pair of soldiers just sit in the lab for two months. If you go with the fastest skill every time, it takes like 40 days to unlock max rank, which gives you a soldier with every single psi ability and a huge health pool to work with.

Sadly, it's pretty difficult to rush psi at all because you usually need other buildings and may not have enough people to spare if you're taking a lot of wounds.
>>
>>389914930

How is it on console? I tried it on the free weekend and it for some reason it really hates my cpu
>>
>>389922667
I never knew they had bad accuracy, I always assumed it always hit. It's a fucking short range flamethrower.
>>
>>389922775
Not him I haven't played the expansion yet, but there's no real slowdown during gameplay, except the load times can be atrocious and when you freshly load a save in mid-mission the pop-in of what's visible and what your units can see is jarring and visibility can make an enemy unit that is clearly in line of sight not be targetable. Runs great beyond that.
>>
>>389921938
I felt like the factions weren't super interesting in terms of soldiers, but I probably wouldn't have liked it if their units were clearly of higher caliber than your own. None of them really add anything different, nor are their stats that great. Still, they're kind of cool for building fluffy squads with (Giving a bunch of soldiers similar colors/armor/helmets and creating a team with a similar modus operandi). At least SPARKs felt real different than the normal classes, even if their big difference was simply being a fucking juggernaut that runs out of cover and mows shit down on overdrive.

I think I would've liked the factions best if they offered weird soldiers. For example, a support soldier type that only carries a pistol and a hacking suite, but is more skilled than your typical support at doing so (Who usually winds up getting sidelined when bluescreen rounds/EMP grenades become a thing in favor of medikit builds), or a character that's like psionic black hole and prevents psi effects in a large radius around them (Including your own).
>>
>>389923194
I think reapers are unique enough just for their ability to scout almost anything nearly risk-free. I'll agree on the other two though. I do really like Templars thematically, but I never felt like I NEEDED to use one.
>>
>>389910489
>game is bad, because it's hard
Have you considered the fact that you're a shitter and that Western SRPGs that require actual skill and strategy are not for you? Go play some weebshit """S"""RPG trash with no difficulty where any challenge can be overcome via grinding, sounds like it would be your cup of tea.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.