[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I get good? I'm playing on commander. I feel like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 6

File: header.jpg (106KB, 460x215px)
header.jpg
106KB, 460x215px
How do I get good? I'm playing on commander. I feel like there's 10 billion things to research and no time to do any of it between missions im forced to go on!!
>>
>>389856859
slowly build your tech up. if things are way too slow get more scientists. to keep the global clock from running out you need to occasionally run down those blacksites.
for actual missions use explosives to blow open cover and instead of taking potshots either hunker down or run until you get +80% to hit or you're flanking.
>>
>>389856859
Why are you playing on hard if you're unfamiliar with the game?
>>
More exosuits.
>>
Any tips on dealing with leaders? Do they really get a free turn every time you take an action within line of sight? What the fuck? It's probably best for me to put off the DLC mission which brings them out as late as possible.
>>
>>389858212
>playing anything but vanilla. ever.
>>
>>389858212
Just mod them so they're not as cheated. I know it's gay that you HAVE to do this to make them bearable, but once modded, Leaders can actually be FUN instead of fucking frustrating.
>>
>>389858298
Is all the DLC really that bad? I mean last time the leader wiped out my almost perfect game, I felt it was sincerely unfair, and I really am not a bitch about these games usually. Is there anything worth anything in them, or should I just uninstall them?
>>
What's the best way to go about the advent timer. I read you can let it get up to near-absolute-full and then do a mission to reset it, is that how it works? Mine's at 3 bars right now, it just came up one mission ago.
>>
>>389856859
Keep everyone alive at game start the best you can. Experience is one of THE key ways you can get an edge on aliens at start, so losing people early on will delay you that much further, reducing your aim, health, and ability pool.

Other than that, keep people together and in cover. I made the mistake of attempting to flank enemies a few times, all I wound up doing was triggering more pods and not really getting a good enough shot to bother anyway.

>>389858212
It depends on the leader traits. Some of them have shit like that though. Thankfully, my first time through, the assassin only had melee immunity and weakness to explosives, so once she popped, I just lobbed every grenade I had at her.

Sometimes though, you get some really difficult traits that make you cry every other mission, not much you can do about that other than try to roll.
>>
File: 1481027625588.jpg (1MB, 1920x1079px) Image search: [Google]
1481027625588.jpg
1MB, 1920x1079px
>>389856859
I bought this game months ago and never really got around to playing it. Should I start a new game ow or wait for the new dlc to come out first?
>>
>>389858694
do you mean war of the chosen DLC? the expansion pack was released like last week, it's out now.
>>
>>389858212
Abuse free turn and stuns. Also, since LoS is a big thing now, you can park a sniper somewhere for free damage.

Many of the new classes are great for handling them as well. Sparks are also excellent choices.
>>
>>389856859
It goes in waves as it happens on timers. You will come to a point at which you can scan for 2-3 weeks without interruption at some point to make progress.
The only missions that force you into them are soldiers being ambushed during cov ops shit in WotC, council or resistance bonus missions or ADVENT retaliation missions.
Those are triggered with a bit of random rolling but have a minimum cooldown before they can happen again. There are some Dark Events making things more hectic, such as reducing the retaliation counter by 2 weeks, which increases the density of missions you have to do asap and win or lose a region.
The timers are usually staggered a bit so it seems like you are forced into stuff a lot but that way it avoids all of it happening at the same time (though that can still happen over the course of a campaign as the timers are not identical and will eventually overlap).

>>389858212
If you have WotC they no longer react to things outside of their vision range. You can literally snipe them to death without them reacting to it. In vanilla you have to just deal with it normally - you can use Rangers with Bladestorm to move in and get a free hit each time the ruler does shit.

>>389858541
When the Avatar meter is full it triggers a timer to give you time to unlock a region or have soldiers recover so you can assault a facility to reduce Avatar progress and stop the timer. In WotC you can do cov ops missions to reduce Avatar progress passively, making it aboslutely trivial.
When you assault a facility and destroy it successfully all the Avatar progress that has been "built" on that site will be removed. You might notice that the timer advances over time but then sometimes it moves again in relation to a facility building something - these stacks are instantly gone when you destroy the respective facility.
>>
>>389858541
After the bars run out, there will be a clock that counts down. So you can push it even to the end of that, and doing a major mission then will wipe the clock and add back bars. That's probably the most efficient way of doing it. On my commander ironman playthrough, I did that once and then literally never had to worry about the timer again.
>>
>>389858541
Once it fills, you have like two weeks to reduce it or you lose. Doing a mission to reduce it would also delay facility construction and project increases before, I don't think it does now, so just try and clear the facilities as soon as your squad is in good enough condition for it.

The skulljack can provide facility leads as well, which lets you do a facility mission without being in territory to do so, so you can drop the timer pretty quick like that if you're willing to bring a support with a skulljack to missions.
>>
File: 1476665233755.jpg (41KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1476665233755.jpg
41KB, 720x540px
>>389858764
oh pardon my autism
>>
>>389856859
Uninstall and play a better game
>>
>>389858212
I've only fought the assassin lady once on commander. I positioned everyone in the open so she could not easy reach cover after attacking and when she retreated it only took 1 turn to move my guys to where she went and kill her with the entire squad
>>
Should I skip the tutorial?
Never played xcom but it keeps crashing when I use the tutorial and from googling it looks like it's a pretty common issue with the tutorial with no real way to fix it.
>>
>>389859435
go ahead. it doesn't tell you anything you can't figure out for yourself.
>>
File: Untitled.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
r8 my squad /v/
>>
>>389859095
>>389858653
Alien rulers, not Chosen.
>>
File: Poster_048.png (664KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Poster_048.png
664KB, 600x900px
R8 my squad /v/
>>
>>389859584
Is that a fucking Yorha unit
>>
>>389858489
Shen is the most tolerable
>>
>>389859095
If you park your guys just right, you can see where she ends her turn when invis and just toss a grenade at the location. I think she follows the same rules as XCOM concealment, meaning if she's not in cover, she's visible.
>>
>>389859584
I think your squaddie's headgear and hair at least give her an excuse when she misses.
>>
File: Poster_030.png (856KB, 720x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Poster_030.png
856KB, 720x1080px
Poster mode was one of the best creations for this game. It's like FFXIV all over again.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.