[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Not sure if this is a /v/ or a /g/ question When will games

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 2

File: Shipment_Load.jpg (252KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Shipment_Load.jpg
252KB, 1280x720px
Not sure if this is a /v/ or a /g/ question

When will games be able to accurately simulate real life mechanical systems?

Something that bothers me is how games can't simulate damage to systems properly. If you get shot in cawadoody, it'll damage your "health", but your character is simply a hitbox and a visual representation. The complex human body isn't simulated at all.

In my ideal world, everything you could possibly encounter in a game world would be a mechanical system. The weapons in Fallout wouldn't have a condition bar, but each individual piece would have a qualitative condition, that the player could inspect themselves

>This gun don't shoot right
>This spring looks rusty
>The barrel looks dirty

In Mount and Blade, if you get shot by an arrow, the game would run checks to see which arteries are severed, if any bones are shattered, if any tendons are cut. These checks would determine how much damage you take. You wouldn't die because of a health bar, but the game would determine you dying because your in-game body cannot sustain the life processes

>Shot through the lungs
>Internal bleeding causes character to choke
>Lack of oxygen causes character to pass out
>ded

Even simple systems, like a spear would be simulated. If the binding of the speartip to the shaft is too poor, then it could snap, given the right amount of pressure, angles, etc.

This is a lot for a computer to keep track of obviously. Could this be done on any scale in the future?
>>
already got it, dorf fort
>>
>>389850341
>>389850270
ye dorf fort is as close as you're gonna get for a long while
>>
There is a diffrence between games and simulators. While this would be cool in a rpg its needlessly excessive for fps.

>get shot in the leg
>cuts artery
>medic spends 30mins trying to stop bleeding
>get flown to military hospital
>3 week recovery after hours of surgery
>honorably discharged
>live the rest of your days as a homeless vet
>10/10 GOTY
>>
>>389850341
>>389850718
I want to get into Dorf Fort but it looks too complex for a filthy casual like me.
Also I'm not a fan of ASCII graphics.
>>
>>389850270
Try to undrstand the reality of our technology vs. How you think it should work
>>
>>389850270
You could do it to an extent, but there's no point in it because it would be needlessly complex for no real benefit since it wouldn't make for a more enjoyable game.
>>
>>389850850
>I want thing to be more complex
>waah, this is too complex
>>
>>389850850
I see so many people hesitant and scared to learn how to play a game that took me an afternoon to figure out. Grow a pair, read the wiki, don't be intimidated by media you don't understand. Fuck sakes.
>>
>>389851108
>Everyone posting on vee is the same person.
>>
>>389851108
ya get a load of goldilocks over here, amirite?
>>
>>389850850
Rimworld
Literally dorfort lite its the only one i can play

just take a sail and download the latest alpha or beta or whatever it is now and maybe watch a few videos so you can wrap your head around the UI and how shit works.

when i last played it was great but theres still some obvious improvements to be had once you get under way content wise
>>
File: 7db.png (417KB, 600x519px) Image search: [Google]
7db.png
417KB, 600x519px
>>389850789
>>389851073
>>389850884
>>
>>389851170
I already know that.
>>
>>389850270
The closest you'll get is arma, eventually too much realism detracts from the point of the game and it would become a "life simulator" instead of a FPS for example.
>>
>>389851198
man it like one day I woke up and 4chan wasnt just 15 yos, but OBVIOUSLY 15 yos
>>
>>389851198
>Why don't we have this?
>Computers have never been that powerful
>I don't know guys, I just think anyone who doesn't agree with me has autism

Do you even know what point you're trying to make?
>>
>>389851198
I miss autistic Sarah..
>>
>>389851342
Seriously man, capitalizing one word randomly in a sentence is extremely juvenile.
>>
>>389850270
The answer to that question is literally this >>389850850
It's not the matter of the game being too complex to code, it's that it's too comlicated for most people to want to have fun with and therefor be an undesirable product to sell.
>>
>>389850850
it just takes like 2 days before you get a hold of the basics enough to teach yourself the rest
>>
There's a big problem there, OP.
Thing is, if things were to be too real, they'd be too real. As in, if you were to treat weapons and injuries as you would in real life, it would be as boring and annoying as it is in real life, which is exactly why people play video games.
People are selective when it comes to what should be realistic or not. People love a huge fucking map where you can go anywhere at anytime, but people would fucking hate if your energy/stamina worked as it does in real life. So they stick to a stamina bar that refills itself when you stand still for some moments.
People don't necessarily want everything in the game to be realistic, just the things they enjoy.
>>
>>389850270
a/ it's completely pointless, this isn't how fiction / entertainment works. It would be the equivalent of having to write a complex backstory for every extra in a movie, it isn't going to make it any better on the contrary it's just going to distract you from the main point

b/ in case you haven't realized, games have already enough trouble running as it is just with the essential physics. It would be a complete waste of resources to run all that shit in the background, not to mention the astronomical amount of bugs it would introduce
>>
>>389850270
>dude why isn't there an autism simulator yet
>>
>>389851198
she looks super cute in that image desu
>>
>>389852132
>As in, if you were to treat weapons and injuries as you would in real life, it would be as boring and annoying as it is in real life, which is exactly why people play video games.
Counterpoint, job simulators, widely played in Germany
>>
>>389850270
Good Simulator =/= Good game
This is the fundamental reason why games are shit these days

Also it would require too much math. I doubt current architectures could support such a thing except in lab settings.
>>
>>389850270
you are the cancer killing games. they're supposed to be about fun not complex simulations that take years and billions to create.
>>
>>389850270
Text based games like Gemstone III did this. Injuries would impact everything you did, increase how long it took, reduce your accuracy, make spells cost more mana or be uncastable (if you have nerve damage, hand damage, etc), too much scar tissue would eventually turn into a wound, and you could die from internal injuries you didn't even know you had (that's more of a Dragon Realms thing though)
>>
Aside from ultra realism not being alot of the time, some of that can be done much easier by faking it.
Like that spear breaking could just be a random chance. To the player both ways of doing it would be nearly the same.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.