[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are stats on gear essential in a MMORPG game? Does +5 INT activate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: boots.png (261KB, 1022x480px) Image search: [Google]
boots.png
261KB, 1022x480px
Are stats on gear essential in a MMORPG game? Does +5 INT activate your almonds or would you rather have something else to determine quality of your gear instead?
>>
>dps vs tank gear
>>
I'm sure in a technical sense you could have an MMO that didn't give stats from gear, but in a practical sense it's basically required. You want people playing an MMO indefinitely, and that means you need some kind of progression for them to chase, which means players need to get new things and get stronger, the simplest way to do that being giving them things that make them stronger.
>>
>>389842619
That's only if you are aiming at something like WoW which I think is a mistake. It would be possible to reset the world every two years while giving the players chance to retain something from their previous play into a new game+ of sorts, create world and raid builder so that it's fast and cheap to handcraft and maybe even randomize each new world with defined rules.

Also every new expansion can be a new server with new progression and new mechanics so that you don't have to account for legacy servers and players while you can keep them in. That way nostalgiafags can relive their old times as legacy servers are resetting and offering new game+ and expansionfags can play their progression without inflating the numbers to astronomic highs.

I would rather see a game where STR means carrying capacity and thus utility than your swings do extra 50 damage. Balancing would be also better because even low level nogear players can still group up and easily dispatch a high level pvp player if he is too brave.
>>
>>389843115
>Taking ideas from the most popular MMO (2 if you count FF14, they have enough similarities at a base level) is a bad idea
>Nuke peoples accounts every 2 years so nobody gets attached or overly invested to their characters
>Randomize the world
Yeah, nothing could possibly go wrong. Gear is borderline required in an MMO due to what >>389842619 said. People need to something to chase. Gear also creates build variety and versatility. You can have similar stats to someone, but your gear loadout makes them entirely different characters. People play MMO's for a long lasting burn, the genre needs innovation but completely nuking the idea of your progress being forever is retarded.
>>
>>389843115
Holy fuck am I glad you're not a dev.
>>
>>389842194
>getting 1% of HP regen every two seconds
>200 seconds in, you regenerate 100% every second
>>
Gearwhoring is bullshit and I hate it. It is pretty much the only reason I don't like most mmorpg's. I would prefer stats and gear having a small enough effect that you can overcome it with skill. Possibly because I like pvp more that I like pve.
>>
>>389842194
Other stats are required for the depth of an innovative MMO (resists, unique effects)..

>Does the game have leveling?
>>
>>389843565
It worked in Ragnarok Online though except you also had stats to distribute as you leveled up. Gear was about utility though.

You can have gear progression though. Imagine the better version of boots in OP has 20% increase, or they are disabled just for 2 seconds, or they also have the regen of red boots but they are disabled for 6 seconds and the regen is dsiabled as well. It's just that the difference can be obvious but still not as huge as level 1 doing 50 damage and level 100 doing 125k damage with the same ability. You can still do 50 damage, or even 75 or 100 damage with the same ability on top of having new abilities and utilites in your bag. This can extend to UI improvements and visible range even.

You can attach players by giving them new game+ unique rewards. These can be anything from unique abilities, skins, classes, to in world built statues etc.

I don't know which two MMOs are you talking about though (GW?) and I never played any online FF.

>>389843692
Yeah because the genre is not reminding me of what happened to RTS.
>>
>>389844240
Yeah something like this is what I am thinking about.

If it has leveling is a hard question though. Maybe it does. But what interests me is that 2-3 low level players can kill a high level player. More focus on world pvp and towns while still having dungeons to explore.
>>
>>389844353
Okay, so what's the difference then? Why would a person prefer stats over buff/debuff setups? You can have both.
>What happened to RTS
MMOs are limited but far from dying entirely. FF14 is insanely big right now, WoW is on a decline but still massive, then other things like Black Desert and Korean MMOs remain stable.
>>
>>389844353
>>389844591
An example is if vanilla WoW's lvl 20 gear (just leather) has ~47 agility (skimming videos, it's something like 250DPS with the other items).. a level 60 PVP set having 101-143 agi (..vs. 550DPS)..

There's also the fact that gear quality there exists between leveling as well.

Is that doable? It's obviously scalable.
>..Twinks were able to stack dodge enchants and items to be completely unhittable, as the twinks would Dodge all attacks. This was possible due to the formula for dodge ratings being very generous to low levels since such formulas were level based.

Is it necessary? It seems like semantics at that point.
>>
>>389843115
Something like this is being done in crowfall
>>
File: abilities.png (204KB, 1050x350px) Image search: [Google]
abilities.png
204KB, 1050x350px
>>389844591
>>389846505
It's different because it's either utility that allows you to do new things. Yeah +50 dmg allows you to enter new dungeon but your gameplay remains the same while having a speed boost that is maybe passive, maybe active, changes how you look at the character. The difference between two players isn't as monstrous so pvp is more fun but the gear retains enough difference for you to rape 1v1 low level players.

If your character has 0% crit and you loot an item that says 30% crit chance and loot another item that activates when you crit or maybe you gain an ability that can be active only after crit it gives you immediate big difference to your power and the gameplay feel, yet is not really making the level difference so monstrous in practice.

Take an example from pic related. Is 8% every 8 seconds better than 1% every 1 second? I don't think so because while both heal for the same amount a player might die before 8 seconds so the improved version doesn't even have to be more powerful in numbers.

I don't think it's just semantics if you improve player's strength through new gameplay options rather than numbers game.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.