[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Being Hollow doesn't affect you at all in Ds1 apart from

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 7

File: Hollow_male.jpg (202KB, 420x571px) Image search: [Google]
Hollow_male.jpg
202KB, 420x571px
Being Hollow doesn't affect you at all in Ds1 apart from not being able to summon so why is it made such a big deal in the story? Like "oh noo you have gone Hollow t. Npc", yeah so?
>>
>>389810603
Because other NPCs don't have as much will to live as you do.
>>
Every player that gave up and didn't finish went full hollow. If you're continuing to play the game, then you're still in the process of hollowing
>>
>>389810603
It does, though. You have less resistances and less item find when you are hollow.
>>
File: 1467467072151.jpg (124KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [Google]
1467467072151.jpg
124KB, 1152x864px
there is a big difference between mental hollowing and just physical hollowing
>>
>>389810603
Your character has plot armor, so it doesn't really matter. But for the NPCs, they need to collect souls and try to stay alive or they will lose their mind.
>>
>>389810603
I was just about to bring up the same issue in my thread here >>>389810562

I love DaS, but it does so many things that are completely retarded and obviously altered from whatever the initial vision of the game was, which practically every other Souls game handles better.

It's obvious that being hollow was actually supposed to have some meaningful negative effect and the game does everything it can to imply that this is the case. You'd think that your 'luck' bonus from soft humanity would be void from the way it is displayed as a big, important glowing number only if you are human, or that your HP or resistances would be reduced, you'd be unable to read soapstone messages, or that NPCs would treat you differently, but no, there' no actual disadvantage to it unless you want to summon.
>>
>>389810603
You look like an ugly sack of shit
>>
>>389810603
False, it affects two stats.
>>
>>389810912
>>389811106
Yes, I know you guys love your Reddit headcanon.
>>
>>389811762
>Yes, I know you guys love your Reddit headcanon
>Reddit owns headcanons

Fucking really, coldsteel?
>>
>>389811762
>everything I disagree with is reddit
great argument faggot

but if you want examples, the undead merchants are both in the process of hollowing but haven't fully lost it
>>
>>389810603
There's a difference between the gameplay mechanic of hollowing, and the concept of going fully hollow. But hollowness not having any real effect outside of your appearance, while an interesting way of toying with risk/reward in a purely visual way, is a bit of a flaw in the design since it makes both states lopsided.
>>
>>389811974
he doesn't want examples he wants to be a faggot
>>
Much like most vidya, it's implied that the main character hasn't died during the course of the main story.

Seathe captured CU without killing him. It's just easier for him to die and respawn in the cell from gameplay perspective
>>
Being undead is like being a peasent. You can't summon, you can be invaded, and the only one that agrees to hang out with you is Alvina!
You find much less items, but overall I think it gives story a much deeper impact!
>>
>>389810603
I don't remember that gross thing on the chest area. Was it always there and what does it mean?
>>
>>389813395
>it's implied that the main character hasn't died during the course of the main story.
That's not implied at all, and there's a handful of things that imply the opposite, in all three games.
>>
>>389810603
Pyromancy is stronger when hollow
>>
If dying and resurrecting on the bonfire is an actual plot thing in regards of still having a will to live, then why do the NPCs you kill stay dead? If they're still talking, they're still sane, and if they're fighting back to not die, they still have a will to live.
>>
>>389813614
That's only in DaS2.

>>389813953
Some NPCs do come back though, namely invaders and summoned NPCs.
>>
>>389813553

You must have played on the inferior console versions where textures were muddied and low resolution
>>
guess everyone is being baiting retards.

gives you higher item find rate, I think it also gives you a little bit more health too.

enables you to be invaded by npcs which is a nice source of souls and free gear
>>
>>389815870
Or he wore armor like any sensible undead
>>
>>389810603
Its not about your character looking like shit.
Its when you stop playing that you go hollow.
>"i only got a few hours in before i stopped playing"
they went hollow

Just being killed in the game doesnt mean your hollow.
it just means you look like shit
>>
>>389816226

Possessing humanity gives you a higher drop rate and higher defense. Whether you are hollow or not is irrelevant.
>>
>>389817062
>>389810912

but thats just a theory
>>
Imagine if you permanently died if you died while hollow
wouldn't that be funny? hahaha
>>
>>389816226
>source: my ass

being hollow has nothing to do with item find or health
>>
File: 10attuo10.jpg (37KB, 536x339px) Image search: [Google]
10attuo10.jpg
37KB, 536x339px
>>389817431
A GAME THEORY!!!
xd
>>
Your health was halved for being hollow in DeS, wasn't it? It wasn't very fun.
>>
>>389810603
cuz ur gross. i don't socialize with grodies irl
>>
>>389817949
Yes, in Soul form your health was halved and your damage was slightly increased, though there was a ring found early that changed it to 75% health. It was fun and an interesting way of setting them apart as well as gave a real punishment for death that went along with the risk/reward for being human.
>>
>>389817667
Get ouf of here with those nazi signs
>>
>>389818248
The point of using a variety of previously common signs to virtue signal is plausible deniability.
>>
>>389818210
That's true, although I ended up thinking of half health as real health and human as a bonus.
>>
>>389817949
The cling ring made it pretty much irrelevant and it sounds much worse than it actually is, its not like everything just starts one shotting you.
>>
Dont you get better drop rates when not hollowed?
>>
>>389818210
>your damage was slightly increased

I believe that was determined by character tendency. World tendency determined enemy damage.
>>
>>389818518
I honestly can't remember because I played DeS when it was fairly new and haven't had a chance to play it since then.
>>
>>389818210
It was a pretty nice detail that when in sould form you made no noise, footsteps etc. You actually were a ghost or whatever
>>
>>389818523
all that matters in the amount of humanity you have listed on top of the screen, 10 gives you the most item find that you can get without rings etc.
>>
>>389818523
No, and that's part of my point. The game tricks you into thinking this is the case despite it not being so. Humanity increases the drop rate, but you don't actually need to be human for this to take effect. It's silly because it feel like that's how it should work, but the way it actually works in practice just encourages you to stay unhollowed in order to hoard humanity instead of spending it.
>>
>>389818523

No, carrying humanity does. Hollow or not has no effect.
>>
>>389818656
>in sould form you made no noise, footsteps
That fucking sucked
>Playing with DBS
>No screenshake or sound of it hitting the enemy/ground
>>
>>389811762
That's not even headcanon, it's stated, rather bluntly, in the first game.
>>
File: Deus Vult.jpg (157KB, 922x692px) Image search: [Google]
Deus Vult.jpg
157KB, 922x692px
>>389817431
>but thats just a theory
Welcome to the Souls series, kiddo.
>>
>>389818871

Dark Souls does not break the fourth wall. You could stop playing the game for a decade and then fire it up again and everything is exactly how you left it. It's headcanon.
>>
>>389818634
I'm a little shaky on the specifics but I'm fairly sure it was either a matter of both being in soul form and how dark character tendency was that increased your damage, or it was only how dark it was but the effect only took place when you were in soul form.
>>389818656
I liked that too, it was a subtle but effective little touch.
>>389818835
If you want to act like a big guy then go all the way and play in human form.
>>
File: Wake up no patch.jpg (2MB, 1872x2368px) Image search: [Google]
Wake up no patch.jpg
2MB, 1872x2368px
>Want to replay Dark Souls
>Remember Bed of Chaos
>>
>>389818894
It's not about theories as much as it's about what the game resembles. When a game is made to seem like something else, or so much more (i.e. by being "poetic"), it's a case of resemblance rather than some objective meaning. It's up to you to make the connections that don't blatantly spell themselves out, but none of it has to become a theory. It doesn't even matter what the developer intended at this point, either.
>>
>>389810603
You're never hollow in the game, just close to hollowing. I don't even think the game refers to your undead form as "hollow", that's just the players caling it that. It only says "reverse hollowing", as in reverse the process, confirming that you haven't completed it.
>>
>>389819196
Fuck you and your autism, reddit.
>>
>>389819098
>go all the way and play in human form.
And not be able to invadeor help people? It's extremely rare nowadays, but no thanks
>>
>>389819214
>I don't even think the game refers to your undead form as "hollow"

Multiple NPCs in the game refer to you in undead form as having "gone hollow".
>>
>just beat all 3 dark souls

I feel so empty now that it's gone. Midir and nameless king were some of the most entertaining boss battles I've ever had. I wish I had a PS4 so I could play bloodborne.
>>
>>389819136
Literally the easiest boss in the game once you know where the holes come up
>>
Because most hollows are mindless zombies.
>>389819136
hit one part and reload the game to spawn outside the boss gate and keep doing that until it is dead. it should take you like a minute.
>>
>>389819392
There are obviously various stages of hollowing, even in DaS1 before it was visually present as in DaS2/3
If you're not in human form, you're hollow, meaning you can either becomes hostile, lose memories, mindless, progressing from bad to worse
>>
>>389810603
You go hollow when you stop playing and give up. Your character is hollow right now.
>>
would you like to be made of beef jerky?

also you live forever and go insane after a while which sounds pretty terrible
>>
>>389819027
Yeah, just ignore the anon who answered your question, fucking retard.
>>
>>389820109
>>389817062
Read >>389819027
>>
>>389813953
Why does Patches keep kicking people into traps if they can just die and get out?
>>
>>389814158
Which ones?
>>
>>389821297
In universe people probably don't respawn at bonfires, they just get back up where they are. Eventually if they couldn't get out of the trap they would go hollow and end up dying for real after turning mad. It's pretty much what happened to the clerics.
>>
File: 1477653460214.png (151KB, 500x309px) Image search: [Google]
1477653460214.png
151KB, 500x309px
The Chosen Undead has a goal though, it's either re-lighting the kiln or killing Gwyn and becoming the Dark Lord. Until the Chosen Undead actually finishes his task he has no reason to hollow out.
>>
>>389817650
He's talking about Human form. When you stack humanity you start gaining a marginal damage resistance, you item droprate also increases.
>>
>>389810603
>Being Hollow doesn't affect you at all in Ds1 apart from not being able to summon
It completely avoids invasions. This thread is shit.
>>
>>389821580
Clerics didn't have the Dark Soul, they were not cursed Humans.
>>
It did in Demon's souls but then Dark souls was made more casual so they took it away.
>>
>>389813953
Because not all people are undead. Most the NPCs you deal with aren't undead and often you're slipping between time and dimensions when you deal with them. You could meet a hollow undead then enter the next area and it's 20 years previous and they're not hollow.
>>
>>389822218
Everyone you meet in the game is undead, the maiden herself says that her guards turned hollow and you have to kill them to get out.
>>
>>389822782
>>389822810
Well uh, we'll say almost everyone. Lordran is specifically called the land of the undead.
>>
>>389822958
It's the land of the Undead because that's where the Asylum is that they used to take the Undead to. It's where they dump Undead so they don't have to deal with them, but as the walls of reality break down due to the changing age it becomes a waste land.

Remember characters like Ceaseless discharge and the spider women aren't undead. They're demons which preserve their life through souls while not being undead.

Is there any evidence that Onion bro is undead since he actually dies?
>>
>>389821446
Kriemhild after you killed her in the Archive invades you at Unattended Graves.
>>
>>389823159
Siegmeyer goes hollow at the end of one of his quest, his daughter has to put him down for good
>>
>>389823159
>My father? He went on his final adventure.
Don't worry, that's just the way he is. Undead or no. Sort of reasuring, really.
If he goes Hollow, I'll just have to kill him again.
That's what his daughter says, but I can't be sure whether she means he already died (in a physical way) or is just some kind of dumb metaphor.
>>
>>389810603
Your physical condition is only half of Hollowing in Dark Souls. The other half is a state of mind. When humans in Lordran go fully hollow, they have lost all hope. Everything that is or was human in every sense but form goes away. Your character fully hollows when you throw the game in the trash.
>>
>>389823159
You're forgetting about the prophecy. Also I was thinking more about NPCs rather than bosses who are more obviously different outwardly, and Sieglinde tells you Siegmeyer is undead and later that he went hollow, and while it's not explicit, he's taking the same path you are.
>>
>>389823664
im pretty sure seiglinde actually says she killed him once before if you talk to her in firelink after helping siegmeyer with the laser cheese in lost izalith
>>
there are levels of hollowing. For instance the two unnamed merchants in undead burg and the tunnel after capra are hollow but they haven't lost their minds yet.
>>
>>389818210
You also didn't make sound as a spoopy ghost, so it was easier to sneak
>>
>>389817431
Everything is just a theory
>>
>>389827276
I'm proven!
>>
File: 1470463732124.png (102KB, 785x725px) Image search: [Google]
1470463732124.png
102KB, 785x725px
>>389810603

The gameplay equivalent of going hollow doesn't really have much to do with the story equivalent. In the story, the fact that the undead can go hollow is why they were sent to the undead asylum in the first place, which is how the whole series starts.

Hollowing is especially important in the story because it's a constant threat that every undead must face. Once they fully lose their humanity, they turn into the mindless undead, controlled only by their primitive instincts. For the same reason that turning into a zombie is a horrifying prospect for us, going hollow is a scary thing for the undead.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.