[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Baby I've been here before I've seen this room and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 196
Thread images: 39

File: hungry hungry crocs.jpg (211KB, 416x380px) Image search: [Google]
hungry hungry crocs.jpg
211KB, 416x380px
Baby I've been here before
I've seen this room and I've walked this floor
>>
I tried to like vanilla leveling again but it is god awful, even tried to do it on retail (no heirlooms or dungeons just questing) now I realize it was all just nostalgia
>>
>>389732289
I got to 28 on my warrior then just gave up, but I'm tempted to go back Again
>>
>>389732289
>i tried to like vanilla leveling
>on retail

Nigga cata isn't vanilla.
>>
>>389731564
Why'd you start this thread with a zone like Wetlands? Out of all the zones in WoW?
>>
Why does /v/ have so much trouble appreciating nostalgic memories as memories instead of clinging desperately to the past and making themselves miserable for no reason?
>>
>>389732660
Because the future is uncertain and we are weak fragile men
>>
File: Elysium wow.png (3MB, 1920x1076px) Image search: [Google]
Elysium wow.png
3MB, 1920x1076px
>>389731564
Funny enough just got to Wetlands on my warrior.
Vanilla leveling is hell with a warrior.
Also running with the updated models so it's a little bit interesting playing now.
>>
>>389732660
I wouldn't be so miserable about my MMO nostalgia if the current market of MMOs wasn't a desolate hellscape of awful games.
>>
>>389732660
traveling through wetlands at a low level is common for alliance
>>
>>389732768
I never had a problem leveling my warrior in vanilla, what's up with it?
>>
>>389732768
>Also running with the updated models
never knew this was possible, the main reason I don't play on vanilla pservers is because the shitty models take away from the ERP experience
>>
>>389732620
in vanilla, since the night elves started on a continent surrounded by horde, they would eventually need to come to the eastern kingdoms by way of menethil harbor and then to iron forge, but the mobs in wetlands were much to high a level when a night elf would need to make this trip, resulting in a painful death filled long trek many people did naked to avoid durability loss, it came to be known as the "night elf death run"
>>
>>389732289
>You think you do but you don't, hahah
Who are you trying to fool Blizzard?
>>
File: 1496662838319.png (227KB, 635x661px) Image search: [Google]
1496662838319.png
227KB, 635x661px
>last online: 3 years ago
>>
>>389732901
Warriors are slow to level due to a lack of self sustain.

IMO its a lot easier if you actively go out of your way to max out cooking and first aid rather then trying to blitz quest objectives, since you gain a lot of exp and extra potions.
>>
>>389732660
>Why don't you eat shit and like it
really makes me tingle my dingleberries
>>
>>389732289
The only really rough patches of vanilla WoW leveling from what I remember of it was around the 35-45 area and the 55-60 area once the rush of getting close to the level cap wore off.
>>
>>389731564
>having nostalgic feelings for the game that literally destroyed the entire MMORPG genre with hypercasualization
>>
>>389731564
whenever a new, halfway promising vanilla server starts up i jump on it day one
I level on it with a fairly fast speed, not going for the "1st [class] 60" but i would say i am in the top 5% of pop when hitting cap

halfway through leveling i am already in a guild that i know will be raiding on a tryhard level (because its always the same faces on classic wow servers)
i am a tryhard myself, always maximizing my output in raid, taking over raidlead if theres a need for it, which almost ends up with me getting the classlead position
by now, we rush MC+Ony in less than 2 hours on 1 day and then do BWL on the 2nd day
at this point i kind of lose interest but also guild drama is a big factor too

if you ever wondered how the mood is in those "top 3" raiding guilds, you have a clique who think they are the big guys (anecdotal side story: rekt a full T1 (post update) geared officer with my unenchanted 5man blues character at a dps race boss)
and then you have the bottom feeders, who are afraid to say something because they want to keep their raidspot
obviously, me belonging to neither of these 2 groups, the clique will hate you for standing up against them despite you being more skilled than anyone of them, so at the end of the day, it ends up with some bantz and i leave

since ever i started playing classic servers years ago my only goal was to experience AQ40 with a bunch of chill people who dont suck shit at WoW ;_;
>>
>>389733202
More like
>Put WOW on the backburner
>release warcraft 4
>it flops due to terrible online gameplay, no modded map support, and retconned post WOW post Movie storyline with 'easter eggs' being in the main game, such as hearthstone memes as main dialogue during the campaign
>and with that, the only warcraft related game blizzard will ever actively work on is hearthstone
>>
File: 1364614969760.jpg (37KB, 400x249px) Image search: [Google]
1364614969760.jpg
37KB, 400x249px
>>389732660
But I didn't make myself miserable, I had great fun replaying vanilla and it was just as good as I remember it. In fact, I even intentionally chose the shittiest class to solo level, a fucking priest, just to test whether it was mere nostalgia or if it was actually a good game.

>>389733061
You don't need self sustain unless you suck ass. Your class has the most op slowing ability, you can get through most enemies of your level or below losing maybe 20% - 15% health total. Hamstring and kite between swings with a twohander.
>>
File: black mage think.png (5KB, 207x218px) Image search: [Google]
black mage think.png
5KB, 207x218px
>>389732289
>even tried to do it on retail
The last time you could've done this is roughly 7 years ago. Unless you're talking about the Cataclysm world, which isn't the Vanilla world.

Although the Cataclysm world has been out longer than the Vanilla world at this point.
>>
>>389733424
>Hamstring and kite between swings with a twohander.
as opposed to:
-any caster blowing up a mob at whatever speed/manacost you desire
-hunter basically afking through a mob
-rogue actually being a functioning melee class

warrior isn't "impossible" to level but it is the slowest of all available classes

it's like leveling a magikarp without an exp share or switching out only to have a gyarados(full T2 warrior with pocket healer)
at the end which pays off
>>
>>389733590
Legacy Servers also really have a limited lifespan of a few years at best before the content well runs dry and never gets a refill.
>>
>>389731564
why the fuck does this exact thread keep popping up so much lately, is there another vanilla wow server coming up?
>>
>>389733424
>Most OP slowing ability
>mobs daze you as soon as you move
>you also need rage to use said abilities, which require you to face tank and smack things to build it up

You don't need self sustain, but you do need food and bandages to progress at a decent pace.

Also when the fuck is a slow going to help you clear mobs faster, you're just wasting rage to hamstring a mob.
>>
File: 1498762298551.png (196KB, 481x515px) Image search: [Google]
1498762298551.png
196KB, 481x515px
They say everything's alright
They say the better days are near
They tell us these are the good times
But they don't live around here.
>>
>>389733671
Legacy servers have something the modern servers don't though, min-maxing.

You can spend months or years min-maxing a single character in vanilla WOW, and if you get bored, you can always reroll, or take a break, this is the main aspect to why people keep returning to shitty vanilla servers over going back to live, the game doesn't make your character progression meaningless every few months.
>>
>>389733652
The slowest of all available classes is priest. Is the joy of wanding things to death while shadow word pain is ticking away known to you? Any caster can blow up a mob and then run out of mana after four spellcasts of their main attack spell and will have to drink almost after every pull. Rogue and hunter are easymode, yes, but warrior isn't as bad as you're making it out to be, especially as far as downtime is concerned. You have only one resource to manage: health. You have only one concern: obtaining the most capable weapon for your level range and for that you don't need rare drops, quest reward weapons are more than adequate.
>>
File: warcraft old map.jpg (511KB, 1280x968px) Image search: [Google]
warcraft old map.jpg
511KB, 1280x968px
I really wish that Blizzard didn't use mountains as the borders for each continent. It just doesn't feel right. It felt better with stuff like Elwynn/Westfall/Duskwood since it was seperated off with water.
>>
File: Sickening.jpg (19KB, 259x241px) Image search: [Google]
Sickening.jpg
19KB, 259x241px
>>389733428
>Spoiler
N-no, you're lying.
>>
>>389733428
Fucking hell
>>
>>389733920
>Completely remove redridge
>>
>>389733786
>14 seconds of 50% slow
>untrue unless you show them your back and don't know how to strafe run
>rage gained on charge if talented is more than enough to hamstring right as soon as you charge

>Also when the fuck is a slow going to help you clear mobs faster, you're just wasting rage to hamstring a mob.

Because there is no difference in time spent to kill a mob between standing still and swinging every 3.60 seconds, while taking damage or running in and taking one swing in retaliation for your hit. You deal the same damage with the same frequency, but you take far more in return if you hit and run correctly.
>>
File: Ah-wow-alpha-2-23-12.jpg (340KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Ah-wow-alpha-2-23-12.jpg
340KB, 1024x768px
>>389733920
Man, I really wish old goldshire was still a thing.
>>
>>389734057
far less in return*
>>
>>389733920
That map is a clusterfuck
>>
>>389734045
To be fair, the scale is harder to tell there.

Old elwynn was the size of the barrens.
>>
File: 143432324324324.png (450KB, 1543x661px) Image search: [Google]
143432324324324.png
450KB, 1543x661px
>>389734045
And theres nothing wrong with that
>lvl 16 alliance zone thats contested for no reason
>>
>>389731564
I don't think I could ever trust modern Blizzard, I really dread to think what official legacy servers would be like. At least fan made projects are mostly done out of love for the game. We all know the only thing ActiBlizz loves is shekels pulled straight from the goyims pocket.
>>
File: Draenor_map.jpg (210KB, 1240x960px) Image search: [Google]
Draenor_map.jpg
210KB, 1240x960px
>>389734341
The RTS games haven't been canon for a long while now.
>>
>>389733170
35-45 was fine. It was STV into Tanaris, and Tanaris was lightning speed leveling.

It's after that that you hit a shitty spot of having no good zones, depending on the faction. 46-52 was shit, always. And 55-60 isn't much better because at that point you kind of feel like you're already done with the leveling and just want to get to the real grind -- but nope, it's still a ways away.
>>
>>389734615
Most people got stuck at those levels because felwood, winterspring, and burning stepps didn't have any good breadcrumb quests to lead you there.
>>
>>389734726
funnily, I got into Felwood/winterspring no problem ... From Desolace/stone Talon (as aliance).

Fuck me tho, Desolace was a fun quest hub with centaur shit but it was so barren. Worst grind I can remember (outside of 58-60)
>>
>>389734873
Desolace was great if you were a tailor or herbalist though.
>>
>>389734726
I don't know, I feel like, even if I knew which zones I was supposed to be in, I still found myself with few relevant quests. Un'Goro was the last good quest hub and after that it was pretty scarce until EPL and Winterspring.

I also hated most of the +47 zones as environments. They were all rather depressing to be in, which probably didn't help when it came to how I felt about the last stretch to 60.
>>
>>389734948
You're right. There's few high level zones which I can say were fun. Western PL is the only that comes to mind.
>>
File: 4130818313_e29943a813_b.jpg (148KB, 1024x640px) Image search: [Google]
4130818313_e29943a813_b.jpg
148KB, 1024x640px
I fucking loved in 2007 hitting level 58 walking through portal into hellfire peninsula for first time. The music and space above. ooooo baby.
>>
>>389734873
I liked how bleak Desolace was, more often than not it just had that ambient music combined with the sound of chill winds. Maybe it has something to do with growing up in the highlands but Desolace was relaxing for me.
>>
>>389732289
apart from the fact that the cata zones are shit, 1-60 was badly upset by the introduction of Heirlooms in Wrath and the 3.3 LFG system.

Part of what made the Vanilla experience fun was that the difficulty of finding good gear necessitated grouping to complete a lot of quests in an efficient manner, even if they didn't have Elite mobs. This, along with the lack of auto grouping function for dungeons, led to the Vanilla 1-60 being A LOT more social than future expansions (especially 3.3 onwards).

Another factor to consider is that Vanilla 1-60 placed a lot more emphasis on completing stuff outside of dungeons. A good example of this are the micro-dungeons which usually had elite mobs, many which required 4-5 player to reliably take down. If you go back and look at advertising material for WoW form 2003-2004 you can see Blizzard placed a lot of emphasis on this aspect of the game. Having player quests in groups in the world really helped fill it, as you could see players running around all over the place, and it led to the local chats being far more active.

The biggest drag in Vanilla was the questing drought that appeared in the late 40s and than again from 55 up. But it was a slower game back than anyway, with less emphasis on end game
>>
>>389735121
>going through portal at 58 when WoW had been out for 3 years by the time BC dropped
>not being able to get a single 60 in 3 years in a casual MMORPG for literal children
just how bad are you at vidya? I hope you have a severe disability or something, otherwise you have no excuse.
>>
>>389735168
Didn't they eventually patch in more quests anyways? I remember about a month in to EU launch we eventually got more, or at least I think so. My brother rushed to 50 pretty fast but I was at around 40 grinding swamp jaguars and w/e else for mount money.
>>
File: scared.jpg (12KB, 500x443px) Image search: [Google]
scared.jpg
12KB, 500x443px
>>389731564
>mfw Darnassus > Auberdine> Menethil > Loch Modan > Dun Morogh > Ironforge > Stormwind by walking at Lvl 10 night elf so i could lvl up with a friend
>>
>>389735164
>>389734873
Being a teen-aged, non-native English-speaker, I somehow didn't instantly make the connection between "Desolate" and "Desolace". Having just spent a long while leveling up in STV, I was looking forward to another lush zone because I fucking love sunny and green zones. Asked in guild chat if Desolace was anything like STV in terms of being a jungle and all I got was a "dude, it's called fucking desolace what do you think".

And then I went there and just stood at the zone edge looking into the endless, grey emptiness and sighed.
>>
>>389732620
Nighelf zones sucked, and few zones after level 10 had enough quests to get to 20 by questing alone. Through in that VC was the Eastern Kingdoms, and a lot (most) nelves did the Wetlands death run to loch modan, getting their asses torn apart by crocs and black rock orcs.

It's a point of vanilla (and tBC nostalgia) because Wrath introduced a boat that went straight from Darkshore to Stormwind
>>
>>389735224
I should add I started in 2007.
>>
File: 1492618172325.jpg (75KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1492618172325.jpg
75KB, 720x720px
>>389731564
>First time playing
>Make a Dwarf paladin
>Walk around without knowing what to do
>Get lost
>Sign out and make a new character
>Repeat infinitely
I fucking miss old WoW.
>>
>>389735264
Dunno how you found early 40s hard. 35+ is super quick with STV and the Desolace quests leading into SM. Even as an Alliance player, SM runs were frequent and could carry you into the 41-42 pretty well. Tanaris also had a crazy amount of quests for the low 40s. I remember the high 40s being the absolute worst experience of the game at the time.

Having said that. I rolled a Rogue with a Paladin buddy with whom I regularly played. That made things a lot easier
>>
File: aniki sleeping.jpg (13KB, 472x357px) Image search: [Google]
aniki sleeping.jpg
13KB, 472x357px
>being stuck in The Barrens for 10-25
The moment I was high enough to step into Ashenvale felt like I was stepping into a completely different world. Being exposed to that Savannah for so long was dreadful. The general chat only made the experience that much more maddening. Even worse back then when you had to select each flight path at a time, and the Barrens was linked pretty much everywhere, so even after you left it, you'd have to keep coming back.
>>
>>389735660
>Dunno how you found early 40s hard.
Where did I say that? I specifically said I stopped to grind mount money. You didn't even answer the question. The fuck nigga, open your eyes and read.
>>
>>389735446
Sounds like you miss you being 12 not the old wow.
>>
File: aKV4xmb_700b.jpg (34KB, 700x384px) Image search: [Google]
aKV4xmb_700b.jpg
34KB, 700x384px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8UuqCaLo80

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jR7Bn-hvr8Q
>>
>>389735734
>Ashenvale
That random sense of exploration was quite something. I went from Barrens to Stonetalon, and after questing for a bit, I saw some random tunnel on the side of the mountain. Of course, having not played the beta and the game having only just released, I had no idea what kind of shit might be in there so I immediately crawled in in hopes of finding one of those treasure chests in it that you'd sometimes find deep in enemy camps or more hidden places like that. The tunnel went on for quite a bit until, much to my disappointment, I found another exit instead of any treasure.

And then I found myself standing on top of some small vantage point overlooking Ashenvale. The music sent chills down my spine, knowing I was in enemy territory, and I quickly got the fuck out of there.

But fuck, the half a minute or so I stood there just staring at it, the events of WarCraft III coming back to me all the while, is something I still remember.
>>
>>389735841
aint got no time for reading when I'm busy riding the nostalgia train.

>grinding Jaguars
that sound painful on a pvp realm. I just kept pickpocketing STV trolls until I got my gold.

As for patching in quests, I don't even remember. A few quests and features were added here and there but the only real overhaul that I'm aware of was redoing Dustwallow Marshes in 2.4
>>
>daily wow nostalgia threads
reminder that /v/ is dead
>>
>>389736058
The people posting in these threads are 25-35 by now.

If that's your complaint you might wanna look into some retirement homes.
>>
File: thinking lucoa n.jpg (50KB, 639x640px) Image search: [Google]
thinking lucoa n.jpg
50KB, 639x640px
>be in hardcore raiding guild, world top 100, wow is srs bzns
>falls apart because a clique formed and they feel like we're not doing good enough in tomb (our kills were very chaotic and not very clean, but our rankings were actually better than during nighthold)
>quit wow
>actually have time to play other games now
>it's a fucking christmas miracle
>couple of mates want to start up again with the new patch
>tell them that I have discovered that not having a fixed schedule 3-5 evenings a week is a blessing I would miss too much

maybe the casuals were right all along
>>
Ski-bi dibby dib yo da dub dub
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MEpv7YxnLCQ&t=
>>
>>389736227
And then there's these people still playing it 12 years late to the party.
>>
>>389736118
they aren't any less neo /v/ and i can guarantee you that no one here played this garbage game at release
>>
>>389736268
I started playing it in vanilla, on and off at times, every expasions except Cata.
Legion was pretty good and really, it's the people that make the game. Obviously you can argue that the way the game is played has an impact on how much and in which ways you interact with people, but at the end of the day the people make it fun or unfun. WoD was objectively shit, no content, small world, little new class mechanics, etc. but I still had a sub through almost all of it because the people I was raiding with were great company.
>>
>>389736262
I love this and always will
>>
>>389736413
I just have no idea how people have managed to put up with it this long. I admit that I, too, have kept coming back every now and then. Played for two weeks in MoP, skipped WoD, and another two weeks in Legion.

You're right about the people but I'm tempted to take the argument and expand it to apply to the larger scheme of things as well. These days, WoW, and practically every other MMO released after it, have fallen to the cross-server memes. And the players have become impatient little shits that will keep whining until the Press-Button--While-Idling-In-Capital-To-Do-Content system is in place. No one cares about any kind of interaction outside their own guild or circle of irl friends.

Back before the cross-server shit took over, you knew the people you played with. There was this sense of belonging when you kept seeing the same faggots standing around in IF/Org every day, and you kept making useful friends for running dungeons. It required some degree of networking skill just like real life. And when you got your fat loot and server first kills, people actually gave a shit and you got some bragging rights on your own server. Now no one cares unless you're world first.

I'm not complaining about it because I have no friends or guild. Thing is, I could talk to and spend time with those friends without the game. The guild, sure, but once yours falls apart you realize how shitty the situation is. I was in the same guild from release to early Cata when I finally quit playing actively. It's still there but it's practically just a different group of people playing under the same name. All the oldfags I knew from Vanilla/TBC/WotLK are long gone just like me.

Sad thing is, there will never be another MMO without cross-server shit and a complete lack of any larger community. Outside of games so dead the devs just consolidated all the servers into one, anyway.
>>
Just roll a character on Elysium if you miss classic that much.
>>
>>389736046
Didn't they also actually add shit to Silithus like Cenarion Hold during the AQ events?
>>
>>389736262
"nice day for a memorial"
>>
>>389732289
sounds like you never actually played vanilla
>>389733428
>Although the Cataclysm world has been out longer than the Vanilla world at this point.
just fucking kill me
>>
>>389733428
>the "remake" that was made by some 15 year old who liked epic stale maymays has been on retail longer than the world and storylines that took years to make.

Revert when?
>>
File: 1499248572993.jpg (109KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1499248572993.jpg
109KB, 720x960px
>mfw I keep seeing the 'grind to level' argument over and over and over again

Did people just not do dungeons or professions? Is this the retards that nu-WOW caters to?
>>
>>389735305
This post makes me strongly miss vanilla for some reason
>those desolace centaur quests
>the entirety of feralas
>stonetalon mountains
>that one track that played in all the barren places
>>
>>389732289
>vanilla leveling is just retail with bad equipment

You 2shot mobs in gray items on retail and it's a fucking ghosttown.

Rolled on Elysium about a week ago, it's really fun. People everywhere, mobs are a challenge, if you pull more than one you're in for a wild ride, buffing people as you run by eachother, teaming up for tough quests like packed furbolg camps.

It's way the fuck better than silent, lonely retail leveling. Actually feels like a fucking mmo.
>>
>>389736262
best WoW vid ever
>>
File: 1471588604705.jpg (157KB, 596x699px) Image search: [Google]
1471588604705.jpg
157KB, 596x699px
>>389736262
>she loved fishing
>and snow
>and pvp
>>
File: Kino laughing.gif (470KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
Kino laughing.gif
470KB, 500x282px
>tfw remembering World of Roguecraft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qL--teiBbzQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1t0A1cqGcw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lbINgb673JM
>>
>>389739867
>until rock gets to 60 and becomes an unstoppable killing machine

bless those videos. They also introduced me to Jesse Cook

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3iTfEF52kw
>>
I'm wiping on Rend right now. Make sure to remember the bad times as well.
>>
>tfw will never go back to level 1 twinking in TBC
>>
>>389740069
>wiping is bad

With no challenge, there's no memories
>>
>>389737670
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gQFOLOur1jM&t=4655s

Thats what I miss the most about old WOW.

It wasn't "OMG SO EPIC" the epic moments were few, but really awesome when they happened, but most of the game, more then 99% of it had a bittersweet somberness to it all.
>>
>>389732289
My problem is that I can no longer enjoy it like I could all those years ago. Back in the day I just -played- the game. I didn't just grind quest after quest, I went out to explore, I read around, I did some dungeon, I visited different zones and so on. Today however i just can't get this rush to max level and endgame out of me, this shit has corrupted the whole MMO industry.
>>
:)
>>
>>389732289
Youre just a filthy casual that want instant gratitfication like 99% of the kids of your generation...
>>
>>389742295
It doesn't help that the current MMO game design is made entirely for the end game.

They should just throw out 'end game' at this point and just have a steady progression curve of gear and abilities, considering most MMOs 'start at endgame' these days, it only makes sense to remove the 3 day grind
>>
>>389732660
Wetlands were nothing special. If Ally babby posted something like Searing Gorge or Winterspring it might be worth talking about
>>
>>389744301
>I played on a PVE babby server
>>
File: sebudai.jpg (432KB, 996x1852px) Image search: [Google]
sebudai.jpg
432KB, 996x1852px
>>389732768
>not leveling as dual wield fury

Shit son what are you doing
>>
File: 73427020592230.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
73427020592230.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
>>389735121
>>389735726
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnIBFAYtmQ0
>>
>>389732660
I can do it now.

I just feel like I accidentally ended up having some early mid-life crisis. It started with me listening to old radio hits while drunk and it slowly escalated to the point where it was starting to bother me just how much I was clinging onto the past.

It was mostly just a result of a general, large change in my life. I got into a long-term relationship, finished my university studies and whatnot. The few years I spent living that change I found myself going back to the past, perhaps out of fear of the unknown. And because generally speaking I felt like I was officially no longer a teen or a young adult. It's not so much me physically approaching 30 as it is just the fact that I spent a long while escaping the "real world" by doing two master's degrees over 7 years. And no, I have no debt from that because I'm not Murrican.
>>
Is there a release date for Elysium TBC yet?
>>
>try private server
>there's no line of sight
>some animations are borked
>mobs have weird pathing and aggro range
>disconnects and lag spikes up the ass
>it's only been a couple of days and I haven't grouped yet, too scared of what annoyances I could find
if it wasn't because this server I'm playing on right now lets you customize your class I'd be dropping this shit like the force of a thousand suns.
>>
>>389744641
>dual wield
>vanilla
>before 60

Nigga, even end game warriors waited till BWL gear before they DW fury.

I mean in early early vanilla it was doable due to broken talents.
>>
File: 3567347829.jpg (33KB, 341x354px) Image search: [Google]
3567347829.jpg
33KB, 341x354px
>>389744412
>lists two contested zones
>LOL PVE BABBY
>>
>>389745169
You wouldn't know wetlands deathruns if you didn't play on a babby PVE server.

Either you were an elf getting it up the ass, or you were horde keking at them, they had guides on the forums on how to avoid me.
>>
>>389732289
quality bait
>>
>>389732289
TBC improved leveling by making questing greens not shit
>>
>>389744894
drop it. what's the point. nothing interesting is going to happen, you already know the lore and story. just give it up.
>>
>>389733061
priest 1-40 is slower and harder than warrior 1-40, you all are just cry babies.
in fact, a warrior was in the top 5 first 60s on elysium
>>
>>389739867
Fuck i hated rogues so bad back in those days, i never wanted to play one just because how cheap they were. I still love to hear in retail when rogue whines about something, it's all payback for those days.
>>
>>389739867
I'm just glad I was enough of a hipster to play a dwarf paladin instead of a human. I never lost to a rogue that didn't outgear me by a considerable margin, and that stopped being possible pretty quickly.
>>
>>389745409
>story/lore
Don't care much for it anymore, played retail for like 7 years on and off starting in vanilla.
The only reason I've been trying this specific server is because it's the only one I know that ever dared to do their own thing instead of copying muh vanilla.
The theorycrafting potential of having no classes gives me a raging boner.
>>
>>389733303
make your own guild then fag
>>
>>389733652
>-rogue actually being a functioning melee class

I disagree, 10+ is a massive pain in the ass.

In fact, the majority of levelling felt quite awful until really late (as a human rogue). I even went sword and still wasn't too happy about it, maybe I should've went dagger and abused backstab as much as possible?

At any rate, it made me appreciate levelling a pally a little bit, for the sustainability (although popping vanish wasn't too bad when it came to not dying, so...)
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BP90t0ehfk

post em lads
>>
>>389736913
That's kind of the thing. In my opinion, networking raiding was a bitch for so long because coordinating 25-40 people to get the best gear in the game felt more like a chore than anything, where as finding 4-5 people always felt like the right amount of being social vs getting a reward.

Of course the issue with MMOs will always be a matter of your schedule vs acquiring gear, which is a shitty mechanic adults stop doing after a few years. There are way better options for gaming that involve multiple people, but there isn't a huge push for them: I'm not sure why. I imagine it's because there's a disparity between people who want to compete and people who want to cooperate and no one is very good at balancing the two.
>>
>>389732289
>tried to do it on retail
herp a derp derp
>>
>>389746514
>Of course the issue with MMOs will always be a matter of your schedule vs acquiring gear, which is a shitty mechanic adults stop doing after a few years.
Yup. Now that I no longer have endless amounts of spare time as a uni student (or god forbid a high school one), I'm less and less interested in new MMOs coming out.

I still have lots of time but I hate committing to schedules outside real life ones. I'd rather play something like Path of Exile 10 hours a day and solo grind than commit to raiding for 5 hours every Wednesday and Thursday (and Sunday and Monday).
>>
>>389736227
I feel you, when I played WoW, I played WoW and basically nothing else. It might have been fun times and kinda comfy to have a world to just be there whenever you feel like it but it consumes just too much time.
>>
>levelling warrior

I litereally can't, I even got the WW axe at 30 but it's so fucking painful

>miss
>miss
>parry
>miss
>dodge
>overpower
>miss
>>
>>389735264
They've completely redone the original leveling experience and have continuously reduced the XP needed to level.

They also removed EVERY elite mob in the world while leveling. They later added them back in, but there weren't the same as before, they just had the elite marker, but they weren't elite anymore.
>>
>>389733303
lol cry more you're the farthest thing from chill
>>
>>389745792

It makes me happy to hear that, probably because my first character (the only one I levelled to 60, at least, and then 70 in TBC) was a dwarf paladin. I had completely 0 idea about MMOs, their etiquete and even certain social skills so I never got into a good raiding guild, especially since I played Ret. Halberd of Smiting was something of a dream to me to get, much less other weapons.
>>
File: 1487557323430.jpg (117KB, 392x469px) Image search: [Google]
1487557323430.jpg
117KB, 392x469px
Loch Modan was my favorite zone before the big bad in the long ago.
Sometimes I want to play WoW again but it's just too depressing.
>>
>>389744894
reminder that gummy's server had all of these things fixed

you will never play on gummy's server
>>
>>389747139
Ret, and of course reckoning, while shit in raiding, were amazing in 1v1 and 1vX PvP. Few people could stand up to a well-geared paladin because of the endless defensive cooldowns, good utility, and fair damage.
>>
>>389747395
reminder that going full healing spec is never a requirement for paladins and you can pick up ret talents or go reckoning at the sametime as healadin
>>
File: 1503640469314.gif (725KB, 500x450px) Image search: [Google]
1503640469314.gif
725KB, 500x450px
>>389733428
>Spoiler
>>
>>389747582
Yeah, I guess outside the top guilds it really wasn't. I thought I might've been particularly lucky seeing as my guild was fine with 20 holy 31 ret, and for a time even reckoning with like 3-5 holy.
>>
>>389732289
>Played during BC/Wrath, have serious raid burnout
>Play on a vanilla private server to see what the hype was about
>Leveling's alright, world's nice and big, no lack of stuff to do, didn't even mind how long it took and the absence of dungeon finder loot and exp
>Get to 60
>No dailies, no badges of justice, most professions don't give you anything particularly interesting or special
>No dual specs, meaning if you're a healer, grinding is painful and you're an easy target for gankers
>Didn't want to do raiding, but since there's no distinction between PvP gear and PvE gear, I have to go raid if I want to get decent gear and not get pounded in the ass

Maybe it's because I wasn't there to experience the real deal, but I just don't see how people enjoyed it more than BC or Wrath when there was so much less to do when you hit max level.
>>
>>389731564
Nowadays there are so many mmorpgs, and so many of them are "free", but actually none of them are fun and give the same feeling of a discovery or mystery as WoW and other old mmorpgs did.

>>389732660
I tried to find a new game to play.

>>389733920
Are there any other maps like this?
>>
we just can't go back lads

it's over
>>
>>389733303
make your own 'chill' guild then, this is always the problem with mmos, the hardcore egos

you are looking for very rare people, theyre out there but I wasnt lucky enough to find them in years of playing retail in its glory days and even on private servers
>>
>>389733920
The lore explanation is that the black dragons raised impassible mountains to divide groups of sentient beings so they would all have their own lands and not make war, but then opened gaps in them when deathwing went batshit (apparently all of the loving protectors of the earth decided to become pure evil at the same moment deathwing did)
>>
>>389734431
That map isn't TOO far off from what we have these days.
>>
>>389748243
>playing single player games in an mmo
you're everything wrong with the modern mmo mindset
>>
>>389747382
>one specific server managed to fix issues
>didn't share with the rest
So the shit's not open source?
I recall back when UO private servers started being a thing devs/scripters will share their shit around, for the most part at least.
>>
>>389748595
The wow private server scene is filled with scumbags who try to sell pay2win shit to dumb children in order to fund them expanding their botnets to DDoS potential competition. Gummy didn't want to do all that work just to have it used by those cunts.
>>
File: Ulduar Map.jpg (303KB, 600x900px) Image search: [Google]
Ulduar Map.jpg
303KB, 600x900px
What went perfect?
>>
>>389748595
gummy redid the entire codebase, eliminating bugs that plagued prive servers since the beginning, and created convenient tools similar to what the original blizzard developers used to create encounters.
then he ran into legal trouble from blizzard, and all of his work is gone forever.
>>
>>389735273
This.
>>
File: Ulduar Tram.jpg (59KB, 580x317px) Image search: [Google]
Ulduar Tram.jpg
59KB, 580x317px
>>389748781
>>
>>389748781
Hard Modes activated by ingame mechanics
Kinda wish they went with both "hard mode setting" and "activate harder modes in fight" together
Only a few rare fights do it
>>
>>389748963
The variable hardmodes were incredible, tfw killing firefighter and the floor was white from wiping
>>
File: rogue.jpg (58KB, 468x493px) Image search: [Google]
rogue.jpg
58KB, 468x493px
>>389749110
Alone in the Darkness was without a doubt one of the most difficult raid encounters ever designed, but so worth it.

Until those chinks found out an exploit and got world first for it (memory is fuzzy here)
>>
>>389738528
Fuck anon is the server decent?

I haven't touched the game in years and I mean years but I think that I might just try it again but doing just a pure fishing and exploring run.

the only game to ever give me a sense of exploring like wow is breath of the wild and if that game had a finsh pole I would be in heaven
>>
>>389748575
I just want something to do outside of dungeons and raids apart from grinding Argent Dawn reputation. I can understand being upset at stuff like cross realm stuff and dungeon finder making any sense of community gone, but I don't want to have to rely on other players to get shit done 100% of the time.
>>
File: o-GOSSIP-GIRL-NOSTALGIA-facebook.jpg (240KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
o-GOSSIP-GIRL-NOSTALGIA-facebook.jpg
240KB, 2000x1000px
>>389731564

These thread are literally the same all the time.

>nostalgia
>"wahhhhh my cookie talent trees were so superior"
>"waaah gathering 39 idiots was so much fun
>nostalgia
>"waah farming 5 hours for a 5 hour raid sure was fun"
>nostalgia

When will you niggers admit that classic was the greatest, unbalanced pile of shit ever and only the people made the game so fun?
>>
>>389749363
they had a paladin with righteous fury on heal in the brain room which aggroed the adds and made them evade bug out
>>
>>389749432
Classic was good because it didn't hand you things
The difficulty associated with things in an already good game is what made it amazing, along with the forced social aspect of it

It's like JFK said, we don't do it because it's easy, we do it because it's hard
>>
>>389749432
(You)
>>
>>389749367
It's good so far, 8.5k online at the moment, generally sits between 7k and 10k so there's always people everywhere, people aren't afraid to talk and be social, and haven't ran into any major bugs.
>>
>>389749432
>only the people made the game so fun?
You're not entirely mistaken. I mean it wasn't perfect, but it was a fine game and the Internet itself was a completely different place back then.
>>
>>389749432

It's been said before but I'll repeat:

succeeding despite all the things you listed made every success an accomplishment.
>>
>retards legitimately think that nu-wow's talent system is not cookie cutter
>>
>>389733170
55-60 is pretty easy imo, just grind yetis and too the scholomance key quest, also the andoral ones. Those will get you two levels
>>
what does the private scene look like nowadays?

I only found out about them after Nost shutdown and saw all the threads - then got hyped for Elysium, which turned out to be a bit of a shitshow, then it was just a string of fizzled dissapointments

I'm playing FFXIV to fill the gap at the moment but if an actual reliable server comes along i'll drop it in a heartbeat

I really want to experience Vanilla/TBC - i started playing originally about a week or so before Wrath came out.
>>
File: 1447682192957.gif (3MB, 426x426px) Image search: [Google]
1447682192957.gif
3MB, 426x426px
I really miss this game.

It took a long time to accept its death but I've done it now and feel better for it.

let go lads
>>
>>389752407
Ascension was an interesting private server, their whole gimmick being that you can pick any talent from any class you wanted. However, due to the sheer array of options available, it's really easy to gimp your build and it costs a shit ton of gold to correct mistakes you make. Since they're currently in vanilla, you have all of these people wandering around with one shot specs and 1K DoT spells with nothing to really keep the absurdity in check.

Apart from that, you have a handful of options to choose from and there will always be small details which remind you that you aren't playing the real thing, like pets glitching through walls and having to relog just to get certain talents to work. You'll just have to have a look for yourself and see what's out there.
>>
>>389752407
elysium is king of vanilla, going to be around for a long time, until it gets supplanted by a better server
burning crusade has four major servers, and they're all shitshows compared to gummy's server, which was dead on arrival.
wotlk has no live server with fully working scripting
cataclysm duel/pvp servers are largely dead
mop has a server full of furries and degenerates, they don't actually play the game.
no one wants to play wod again.
>>
>>389753046
What happened to Nost?

That was a great server
>>
>>389753184
they sold out hoping to get a job at blizzard, then blizzard never followed through and laughed at everyone wanting legacy servers
>>
>>389753184
nost got DMCA'd, they took it down like gud boys and blizzard set up some meetings with them pretending to be "interested in making a vanilla server", but it was all just damage control since nost got a lot of publicity

Everyone moved to Elysium with nost's support, then nost left, then Elysium got outed taking chink money to unban characters, people still play though, no other choice really
>>
File: 1360019715658.png (463KB, 513x453px) Image search: [Google]
1360019715658.png
463KB, 513x453px
>Elysium gimps how far you can see terrain and characters serverside
>The terrain view distance isn't just a limit on cranking it up in the config
>It's genuinely less than the normal max view distance of Vanilla World of Warcraft
>Character phase in on top of you basically and disappear once there a few inches away from you defeating the point of it being an MMO
>The fucking Elysium devs hawk gold selling services on their twitter.
Elysium is a BEYOND shit tier server. I'll be waiting until some terrible fate befalls Elysium and a new vanilla WoW server takes its place. Can't come soon enough honestly.

Too bad Kronos has shit for population right now.
>>
>>389752636

Personally, I'm looking forward to some good TBC server.
>>
How bad a time am i going to have trying to play Vanilla with absolutely no friends at all when i didn't play back in the day?

I'd most likely be playing Priest or Warlock - i don't mind stuff being hard, or grindy - but stuff that you kind of just had to play to know like downgrading spells or attunements, where to level shit like that is what kinda intimidates me a bit
>>
>>389753683
gummy was the only hope for revitalizing private server scene, like the release of mangos did, and now he's effectively dead, with his entire project swept under the rug.
without a doubt, elysium is going to be around for the next few years, unless gummy releases his code base in some fashion, which could easily be used to make a near perfect vanilla server.
>>
>>389753904
It's a easy game, anon. You can make your way to 60 solo no problem.

I reccomend you still join a guild though
>>
>>389746397
>At any rate, it made me appreciate levelling a pally a little bit, for the sustainability
xcept paladin was pure hell. Having zero damage isnt something you want when leveling.
>>
>>389748543
>apparently all of the loving protectors of the earth decided to become pure evil at the same moment deathwing did)
are you pretending to be retarded?
>>
>>389753904
depends on whether you're going horde or alliance.
warlocks are always wanted alliance side, but there's a huge over saturation of them horde side.
priests are always welcome, but a dwarf is the ideal for most guilds. so, if you know absolutely no one, your best chance of getting in as a priest to an established raiding guild is as a dwarf priest.

there's an archive of the old elitistjerks threads, the nost class forums are still up, so are elysium's forums, and there's plenty of people to ask still, so there's no real worry about mechanical knowledge.
>>
File: wow map.jpg (1MB, 1873x3850px) Image search: [Google]
wow map.jpg
1MB, 1873x3850px
>>
>>389734873
Desolace also was great for paladins since it was one of the few places they could use their offensive ability.
>>
>>389753904

Don't worry about things like that at this stage (pre-making a char). You will learn about it in time, I'm certain there are guides for that and if not, someone with more experience will probably be happy to help if you ask.

For now, focus on getting to 60 (and having fun, obviously). Then think about getting pre-raid BiS (best in slot items attainable before setting a foot in raid - people don't need freeloaders unless it's a geared PuG filling in slots, put some effort before raiding).

Warlock has a huge benefit of free 40 mount saving you lots of trouble as well as much cheaper epic mount, whereas healers are always in demand (especially dwarf).

>>389754147

No argument there, which is why I said 'a bit'. Divine Shield was really handy, too.
>>
File: nano drop loot.png (25KB, 900x565px) Image search: [Google]
nano drop loot.png
25KB, 900x565px
>>389736262
>>
>gummy perfects server
>everyone is hype as fuck
>gets DMCA'd

they knew didn't they, they were waiting for the perfect moment
>>
>>389754660
Well he was a fucking retard for thinking he'd get away with hosting it in the US.
>>
File: paladins.jpg (150KB, 990x553px) Image search: [Google]
paladins.jpg
150KB, 990x553px
>>389754482
>>No argument there, which is why I said 'a bit'. Divine Shield was really handy, too.
Well I still liked rogue way more than pala. Rogue did good damage and with combat spec you didnt even need to spend time in stealth lining up ambush/cheap shot. They had multiple spells to break combat (blind, vanish, sprint) so you had to try really hard to die. And with first aid you could heal yourself well enough till late when you had to get the quest to get better bandages.
>>
>>389753184
>make servers in america instead of russia or bumfuckistan to avoid DMCAs
>get DMCAed
>say you wont move it to bumfuckistan if blizzard agrees to make a real nostalgia server
>blizzards agrees to this proposition
>shut it down
>go to blizzard
>listens to their presenation for one afternoon, a few photos with the nost staff for twitter and wave them off
>laugh how those naive fools thought they actually cared and shut everything for you
>nost devs slowly realise they got taken for a ride
>give their stuff to elysium
>later turns out elysium takes money for unbans of gold farmers using hacks
>>
File: asf.jpg (360KB, 1872x616px) Image search: [Google]
asf.jpg
360KB, 1872x616px
>>389754382
Was there something here?
>>
>>389755802

A cave with veins (thorium, I believe) and maybe a quest or two that involved killing elementals inside.
>>
>>389755802
Tirion Fordring and his quest chain were there
>>
>>389756480

Shit, I'm the anon above you, I think you're right.
>>
>>389749403
you could grind brood of nozdormu reputation instead if you want
>>
>>389754482
I played Warlock all throughout my time in Retail, aswell as playing Horde

Maybe i'll mix it up and play Alliance - i'm really not a big fan of Dwarves though (just not my aesthetic) - Are NElves any good? Their racial looks kinda...eh.
>>
PLAY ELYSIUM

DON'T GO TO ELYSIUM GENERAL
>>
>>389757120
shadowmeld is really fun in world pvp, for any class, since you can ambush anyone anywhere, and also hide quickly.
starsurge has a lot of theorycrafting behind it, and can actually be the most damaging spell shadow priests have.
also, nightelf priests are number one for ERP.
>>
>>389748781
Non linear map design.
>>
>>389731564
You're also an idiot if you did this.

Swim WEST from Menethil until you reach a patch of water in Dun Morogh

Drown

Spirit res
>>
>>389755802
It was tunnel that led straight through to terrordale. Tirion Fordring was nearby, can't remember if he gave you quests to kill the cryptfiends inside.
>>
File: 150253098497.jpg (335KB, 857x617px) Image search: [Google]
150253098497.jpg
335KB, 857x617px
>>389758976
>>
>>389758976
any other useful tricks?
>>
>>389760275
swim northeast from darkshore, zone into moonglade, drown and die, rez in moonglade
>>
File: 1493803382340.jpg (62KB, 525x429px) Image search: [Google]
1493803382340.jpg
62KB, 525x429px
>tfw I didnt know about menthil harbor and instead got to stormwind by going from ashenvale to rachet to STV to duskwood to SW and then took the train to IF
>>
File: gundrak.jpg (504KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
gundrak.jpg
504KB, 1920x1080px
>>389760275
I haven't played WoW in like 10 years. I remember so goddamn little.

One thing that I remember though, is how to Amber drake in Oculus:
Tap 3 and wait until there's an icon with "10" in the corner
Esc, tap 1
Repeat
If Eregos yells, Esc and tap 2.
I remember this, because goddamn were people paint drinking retards when it came to amber drake.
I also know you can skip a lot of the trash in Gundrak by swimming through the water, but nobody ever does.

I stopped playing in Wrath when that looking for group finder came out.
I couldn't stand the randoms it gave me, and nobody wanted to form groups the normal way when there's a group finder available.
Since I figured I didn't play an MMO to solo, and grouping wasn't fun, I stopped.
>>
ITT: neo-/v/ normalfags whose first MMO was WoW and have the biggest nostalgia goggles of all time
>>
File: 1488752637486.png (176KB, 550x512px) Image search: [Google]
1488752637486.png
176KB, 550x512px
>>389763793
anons that started WOW when they were 16 are 29 now
Anons that started browsing when they were twenty would be in oldfag territory
Thread posts: 196
Thread images: 39

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.