[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>people say system shock 2 is one of the best horror game

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: SHODAN_hires.jpg (46KB, 385x414px) Image search: [Google]
SHODAN_hires.jpg
46KB, 385x414px
>people say system shock 2 is one of the best horror games ever
>people say system shock 2 is better than 1
I just finished 2, and the only times I remember being scared were in the cargo bays when the protocol droids are randomly waking up, and during the gauntlet into the core of the Many.
System Shock 1 was honestly more scary than 2. When I got onto the bridge in 1, I decided to take a break since I needed to mentally prepare to get to the three buttons. It was creepy crawling through a poorly lit floor covered in meaty looking metal, hearing cyborgs chatter through the walls. There's also no audio log from 2 I remember as well as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQtZPNjc2gY
Tell me /v/, do you think SS2 is better than 1? Is there a "right" way to play to best experience the horror people talk about?
>>
I've never heard it called best "horror" game ever but I is think it has a spooky atmosphere throughout, especially considering some of the enemy designs. I do agree, though, the cargo bay is the only really scary part in my opinion. I disagree that SS1, is scarier, though. I didn't think either were especially scary and I don't think SS1 was trying to be a horror game in the first place.
>>
>>389716743
I started 2 without having played 1 a few days ago, it really isn't scary at all, it's nice seeing the roots of the Bioshock formula though.
>>
I will say that SS2 is a much more focused experience, for all the good stuff (removing useless filler) and bad stuff (NO CYBERSPACE WHAT THE FUCK) that implies. I prefer 2's level design and enemies, but many of the RPG mechanics weren't done as well as they ought to have.

But the thing that takes the cake for me is dat Thief engine. Mantling is the most "unf" platforming mechanic ever.
>>
>>389716743
Never considered at a horror game. It might be the best cyberpunk game though.
>>
>>389717031
Play 1 after you're done and use mouselook. It's dated but fun and worth playing, and I say this as someone who only just played both games in the past couple years and played 2 first.
>>
>>389716743
>SS2 was the first video game that I ever saw
>Gave me horrific nightmares for about a year
>Played it myself years later
>Lots of fun and very atmospheric, but scary???

Although now female voiced, out-of-control megalomaniac A.I. turn me on, so maybe it just fucked me in a different way.
>>
>>389717612
>ywn have steamy cybersex with shodan
>>
>>389716743
>Tell me /v/, do you think SS2 is better than 1?
Nah
>>
>>389717612
Ew, why is she in that disgusting inferior pile of meat? Where is the beautiful metal and cabling?
>>
File: 1463499098_ShodanRicky.png (264KB, 460x703px) Image search: [Google]
1463499098_ShodanRicky.png
264KB, 460x703px
>>389717749
Why would you say that anon?
Why would you crush the little delusional hope I had left.
>>
>>389717940
I fucking lol'd when goggles said that.
Way to end a game right there
>>
Most of whatever potential scary parts there are emerge through gameplay early on, depending on how you handle encounters.

It's just creepy. Shodan is well-written, well-acted, and the editing on her voice is unlike anything else I've heard in a video game or movie.

>Gooooood. Youuu've murrrdered theiiir youuunnnng.
>>
>>389716743
I like how system shock 1 manages to be a smart game without shoving a 90s-ass RPG system into it, especially a kinda broken one like the one in SS2.
It shares that with Theif.
>>
Are there any System Shock 2 mods or maps that are worth installing? System Shock Infinite has some of the worst voice acting I've seen since Underhell and I'm having a hard time working up the will to continue with it.
>>
>>389718463
Honestly, the Many hivemind was more unnerving than SHODAN.
>babies must sleep
>babies must rest

>You seek your associates, but you cannot find them. You are so very alone. How does it feel to be one against the infinite?
>>
>"I just finished 2"
>he says in the year 2017
You had to be there.
>>
>>389716743
Never played SS1.

SS2 was scary for me because it kept me preoccupied with all sorts of things. Like my items. And the backstories. And the implications of all the crazy shit going on. I liked the setting so it made me zone out a bit thinking about it. But the game won't quit harassing you and you have to keep moving. But I just wanted to find a place to organize and stash my stuff and do the research and try to craft kek. And it encourages you to be cowardly to save up on resources. Acting like you're scared kind of makes you feel scared. I'm sure there's a name for that kind of psychological phenomenon.

But I played it again a while ago and yeah if you just focus on the gameplay like it's a really weird FPS then no it's not really scary. You just get lost a lot and weapons don't work and too much back and forth and the respawns are BS. Shodan and The Many ware still awesome though.

Similar thing with Prey when I played it. I loved the game overall. But it stops being scary after a while and kind of gets tedious instead. The beginning was awesome when I knew nothing about the station and what I was going to encounter except that there was a million ways I could get fucked up if I'm not careful. But eventually most of the unknowns disappear and you know how to be careful and the game won't surprise you too much. I think they still did a great job keeping things dangerous and you never know what could happen when you get to a new area.

You have to get into it though. Ultimately it's pretty hard to scare someone that doesn't want to be scared or that doesn't find the setting immersive, etc.
>>
>>389718958
Sorry I wasn't playing video games at age 5
>>
File: 7485-system-shock-2-500x500.jpg (30KB, 431x300px) Image search: [Google]
7485-system-shock-2-500x500.jpg
30KB, 431x300px
>>389716743
>hearing cyborgs chatter through the walls
im not going to lie, cyborg midwifes spook me
>>
File: 16548.jpg (133KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
16548.jpg
133KB, 800x600px
>>389720262
>not playing with mods
>>
>>389721230
>0 health
>>
>>389721230
That looks like shit desu
>>
>>389721230
I can't believe people actually use this fucking garbage.
>>
>>389721230
>Putting skin on her face
Way to miss the point.
>>
>>389717080

>mantling

SS2 has strangely satisfying movement physics. The walk/run bob are perfect, and the way momentum carries you even when you let go of the keys is a nice touch. Consequently, when you slap the shit out of something with your wrench, you can feel the weight in the swings and steps.
>>
>>389721230
It looks fucking worse
>>
>>389718640

I haven't ever played FMs, and the mods I use are purely cosmetic.

I still think the NewDark patch is one of the greatest unofficial patches ever released, and it was completely out of the blue.
>>
>>389716743
System Shock 2 isn't a horror game and you're dumb shit for setting such an expectation for it. It is no doubt better than 1 even if it has quite a number of problems and questionable design choices.
>>
File: 1501712439380.gif (491KB, 196x200px) Image search: [Google]
1501712439380.gif
491KB, 196x200px
>>389718024
>Hacker
>It's clearly the Soldier
>>
>>389722947
I thought he was known as goggles or something?
Yeah, noticed that.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.