[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So how important is G-Sync technology when gaming? I've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 7

File: 1504868210798.jpg (13KB, 278x278px) Image search: [Google]
1504868210798.jpg
13KB, 278x278px
So how important is G-Sync technology when gaming?

I've heard things like it gives PCs frame consistency like consoles which is really attractive for me.

Anyone here who uses Gsync compare it to screens which don't?
>>
G-Sync is a retarded and jewish Nvidia cashgrab attempt.
>>
File: 979829184855677243.jpg (12KB, 232x271px) Image search: [Google]
979829184855677243.jpg
12KB, 232x271px
>>389655889
>I've heard things like it gives PCs frame consistency like consoles
>it gives PCs frame consistency like consoles
>frame consistency like consoles
>like consoles
>consoles
>frame consistency
>>
>>389655889
>frame consistency like consoles
What? You can eliminate tearing by enabling vsync in your game. This is how modern consoles do it. It does nothing for frame times on console or PC and incurs input latency.

G-sync/Freesync tries to eliminate tearing without incurring that input latency. Having used it, it works fantastically. Xbone X will even supporting Freesync.
>>
>>389656708
>Xbone X will even supporting Freesync
Are there any TVs that even support Freesync?
>>
>>389656854
Don't know, lots of monitors do though. MS either expect it to catch on for TVs or considering they're adding KB+M support maybe they're working a "Desktop Console" angle.
>>
>>389655889
it's useful when you drop below 60fps and doesnt make the game stutter like shit
but you're stuck with nvidia until you change it
>>
>>389656708
>G-sync/Freesync tries to eliminate tearing without incurring that input latency.

it actually does have input latency and it can be quite bad for some freesync monitors. it's just much less than vsync.

>Xbone X will even supporting Freesync.

no. freesync is the amd driver technology which allows for variable refresh via the display port and soon to be the hdmi standard. the xbox one won't have "freesync" support it will have generic variable refresh support as per the hdmi 2.1 standard. MS are just saying freesync as a marketing term due to their partnership with amd but if nvidia or some other random chink company were to sell monitors supporting the hdmi 2.1 variable refresh then it would automatically be supported on that too.
>>
>>389655941
This. Just use an AMD card with a Freesync monitor.
>>
It gets rid of tearing and that's it. Also sort of gets rid of the stuttering associated with v-sync because you're not using v-sync unless you hit the refreshrate cap of your monitor.

Currently running an rog348q, I think it's okay. If your frames drop, it will be noticeable. If games are not optimized like PUBG, the game will still stutter because it's a CPU hog.

Get it if you can afford it, but if you can't don't feel like you're missing out any.
>>
>>389657345
>using amd
>2017

i nearly fell for the amd meme when i nearly purchased a used r9 390 off a friend for $70 but it requires an 8 pin and 6 pin which my 450w psu doesn't support and ended up getting a 970 for $10 more and my psu supports it. oc to 1550 mhz.

turns out it was a good decision too since the r9 390 performs like a gtx 960 in pubg lmao. the r9 3xx drivers are shit now compared to even the rx series. they've basically cut support for it.
>>
>>389657230
Fair points. I was just attempting to keep it simple.
>>
>>389657662
Save me some heating bills during winter bruh
>>
>>389655889
>>389656301
>>
>>389657662
yea and gsync monitors cost 200$ more than amd freesync.
I don't care if AMD is more inconsistent I've dropped nvidia because of this jew shit.
>>
It can help you play muh graffix games when you cannot reach 144 but if you can get the frames it ehh.. And if you only care about graffix youre probably fine using V-sync and 60.
>>
>>389658460
is this bait? you're cucking yourself with a known worse product because of something totally unrelated to it being the fucking monitor of choice? fucking kek. i bet you don't even have a freesync monitor.

pro tip: you can still use nvidia on a 144hz freesync monitor via fast sync and get no tearing.

https://youtu.be/j_KFd8TASdc
>>
>>389655889
depends on what you are playing
if you are playing cs:go/quake or fighting games having consistent framerate both feels amazing and is very important.
>>
>>389658781
I do have a freesync monitor.
Still have a nvidia card though since I have no need to upgrade yet but the next card I'll get will be AMD. And yea it works fine but a LOT of people swear by freesync/gsync.
>>
>>389658874
for csgo/quake you would just use uncapped 300 or something fps and gsync stops working after you go beyond your refresh rate
>>
>>389660113
true
the higher the refresh rate the monitor has the better though.
>>
no tearing without the input lag of vsync
>>
>eliminates tearing and takes away need for vsync
>but without vsync enabled, most games don't have a frame limiter so your card burns out faster with uneeded 500+fps

T-thanks nvidia
>>
It makes unstable 50-55 framerates feel like solid 60.
>>
>>389660907
it doesn't limit it to 144?
>>
I have a 1440p 144Hz Freesync monitor and wouldn't want to live without the 144Hz again but without freesync or g-sync it would suck big time as you get frequent framedrops and those result in tearing a lot. To avoid it you just need any of the -sync technologies. V-sync is not an option at such high framerates as you likely never achieve the full 144 without drop in any game and given how v-sync works it leads to massive latency changes that make it uncomfortable to play any 3D rendered title.
However, Freesync is a shitty standard and you have to be very careful when buying a monitor as the implementation greatly varies and sometimes you get nonsensical ranges of sync support and it doesn't go high or low enough to be of use. Freesync2 (real bad name for it) is the succeeding standard that fixes these issues as it specifies in which range the screens have to offer sync support but it's also coupled with a few image quality releated criteria that will make it hard to find affordable screens with Freesync2 support anytime soon.

Technically I'd love to get an nVidia GPU for sakes of driver support and performance but then I'd be forced to pay a 150€ (after tax) premium on the g-sync screen and I'm not quite prepared to pay that much extra to get something the competition offers at lower price point. The actual GPU performance will rarely matter as either you hit the frame limit or you don't and then 5-10 fps more or less aren't going to make or break your experience either.
Just wish AMD had better drivers right now - the 300 and 400 series cards are badly supported in new driver form the past half year and cause nothing but issues, the 500 series is pretty much just a rebrand of the 400 series and not performant enough to warrant upgrading form the old ones and Vega has been a disappointment thanks to HBM2 not being performant enough but perhaps custom designs will be able to squeeze out a bit more performance or have access to improved batches.
>>
>>389660907
Use Nvidia inspector and set a global frame limit.
>>
>>389655889
Very important. It provides the tightest frametimes and is completely free of screen tearing. it's simply the ideal situation.
>>
>>389658460
>gsync monitors cost 200$ more

Thought it was more like $400 more. Are there Gsync monitors for less than $600 new?
>>
>>389659008
>a LOT of people swear by freesync/gsync.

a lot? barely anyone uses this tech. there's a small niche who actually use variable refresh like freesync or gsync. only enthusiast really know about this tech but everyone else are still too casual to want to invest in tech like this which they don't even care about. 1080p monitors are still widely the most used monitors by pc gamers followed by 720p monitors.
>>
I mostly play shooters and occasionally battlerite and just use vsync. I've never noticed input lag
>>
Is freesync much worse? It's certainly tempting that it doesn't cost extra.
>>
>>389661692
Gsync and freesync are the same thing they just accomplish it differently. From a layman's point of view you would never notice a difference.

The catch Is that nvidia doesn't let their cards work with freesync because they are jews
>>
File: Baby_Questions_Reality.jpg (368KB, 716x652px) Image search: [Google]
Baby_Questions_Reality.jpg
368KB, 716x652px
>>389656708
>This is how modern consoles do it.
Modern consoles do not have 2-3 layers of frame buffers on top of that. This was the case even back in the Windows XP era.
And stacking layers of DX legacy in drivers + game in terms of frame stability
Not to say there doesn't exist console games with fucked stutter frames, not its no where near the level you achieve on PC.

>>389661692
Its basically the same thing.
>>
File: 1484433969923.jpg (65KB, 411x412px) Image search: [Google]
1484433969923.jpg
65KB, 411x412px
>>389661150
Thank you anon
>>
>>389658781
Pretty sure fastsync muders the frame pacing.
>>
>>389661692
freesync is unreliable as it doesn't have a form of QC unlike gsync which costs more due to every gsync monitor having a proprietary module which allows for uniform performance across all gsync monitors as far the variable refresh goes. as for the panel quality and build quality etc that's all down to the quality of the brand as usual.

the problem with freesync is that it's a bit hit or miss. i wanted to buy a mg279q but i've read about how the freesync range is really bad compared to the pg279q (gsync version) and also that there is noticeable input lag on some of the monitors which isn't present in the gsync version.
>>
>>389661150
You can also use MSI Afterburner's RivaTuner
>>
>>389663283
>Make spec
>Doesn't include max latency of one frame in spec
>>
>>389664049
most of the time these freesync monitors are just monitors which have display port 1.2 or whatever version supports adaptive sync and that display port naturally has the variable sync support standard as per the specification so these monitor manufacturers just slap the "freesync support!!!1!!" label on it with no optimizations for actually using the tech and it results in most of the freesync monitors being complete trash.
>>
Until gsync/freesync doesn't incur input lag I'm not going to bother with the price premium of being able to lock my FPS at shitty values that aren't 60/120/144.
>>
File: hauntusesmeanlook.jpg (67KB, 500x321px) Image search: [Google]
hauntusesmeanlook.jpg
67KB, 500x321px
>Read up on Freesync 2
>Its just a spec with force frame buffer
>10-bit colors for monitor
>Not completely fucked monitor refresh support
I feel like everything AMD do, starts out with half a ass, and then is polished into a shoddy replica of a marble ass, and then at some point they stop sucking.
>>
>>389655889
>it gives PCs frame consistency like consoles
burn your house down with you inside friend
>>
>>389655889
I heard using gsync increases input latency, is this true? If so, do you actually notice it when gaming with kb/m or is it so small that it's not worth mentioning?
>>
>>389666595
>increases input latency
How would it do that?
Why ask that question?
Why not just read Shillpedia and ask us if you read it right?
>>
>>389655889
G-sync is bugged and doesn't work for games in windowed mode. Hell, it hardly works in most games in fullscreen.
>>
>>389666802
>G-sync is bugged and doesn't work for games in windowed mode
not that it probably isn't possible for it to work in window mode but who the fuck would expect it to? does freesync do it?

>it hardly works in most games in fullscreen.
i don't believe you
>>
>>389666651
You're a literal autist.
>>
File: download.jpg (41KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
41KB, 1024x1024px
>be me
>buy gtx 1080 upgrade
>buy 1440p 144hz monitor at same time
>it's a free-sync
>>
>>389666595
I've heard that too, and there's a lot of discussion on how to set your FPS limit and settings in the Nvidia control panel to try and limit it.

It would be nice to not have screen tearing but not at the cost of higher input latency. That just makes playing a game feel terrible even if it looks a little better.
>>
>consoles can't compete with even mid-range PCs on any level so they have to make up meaningless bullshit terms like "frame consistency"

luv it
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.