[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do so many people who know nothing about game development

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 8

File: Official_unity_logo.png (7KB, 676x246px) Image search: [Google]
Official_unity_logo.png
7KB, 676x246px
Why do so many people who know nothing about game development have a problem with this engine?
>>
you answered your own question
>>
>>389629651
People don't have a problem with it, that's the issue
It enables people to create games, which is a good thing, but doesn't enforce graphics or optimization on people, so it allows people to fuck up

You can do good things with Unity, but even AAA studios pump out games that make top end graphics card shit themselves over 1K textures because they don't know how to optimize that shit.

Optimization is an expensive skill and expensive investment. People rarely are capable.
>>
>>389629651
Because it's made for lazy dumb people who want to skip all the process of learning how computers work.
>>
>>389629741
>but doesn't enforce graphics or optimization on people, so it allows people to fuck up
>doesn't enforce graphics
>enforce graphics
>enforce
>graphics
cool so you're retarded im guessing?
>>
File: scale testing3.webm (3MB, 581x384px) Image search: [Google]
scale testing3.webm
3MB, 581x384px
>>389629807
when I say enforce graphics, I mean that it doesn't enforce decent looking optimized graphics, which leads to things looking shitty and being slow.

It also doesn't enforce optimized code.

I know, I do tons of unity shit
>>
>>389629651
But the shitty games are made by the people too dumb to pay to remove the watermark and over time Unity became associated with shit.
>>
>>389629807
*your
>>
File: 1486630790223.png (574KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1486630790223.png
574KB, 1000x1000px
>>389629651
Because people who don't know anything about game development use it to make games then flood the market with them
>>
>>389629651
Because it's associated with the most garbage games out there made by the laziest devs. It's a decent engine with a name that's been tarnished.
>>
File: splash.gif (163KB, 631x423px) Image search: [Google]
splash.gif
163KB, 631x423px
>>389629651
its developers rely on asset store to make money, so they force free users to put pic related at the start of the games, resulting in a ton of shovelware on steam and elsewhere proudly displaying its name right at the start.
this allows the engine to become more well known and rack in more asset store bucks, but at the same time players who are not interested in making games and have a misfortune of playing that crapware see it and associate the engine with terrible shit that developers use it for.
it's a double-edged sword

ironically at the same time actually good unity games usually have its logo hidden in the middle of credits where no-one pays attention to it because the paid version lets you do it
>>
Because unity's logo is the first thing you see in every shit free game that uses it, and paid "real" games don't have it
>>
>>389629651
It's really easy to make shit in, so theres a mountain load of garbage which people tend to associate with it. A victim of its own success.

Also there's the whole optimization aspect, but that tends to be the tradeoff you pay for when using easy to use tools.
>>
>>389629651
Because loads of amateurs use it with shit from their asset store to make bad games and dump them on steam so the logo has become associated with low quality games
>>
The problems with Unity are so evident, even casual gamers that have played a single game made with Unity can often identify the problems.

Also, there are enough people with experience in game development to tell them Unity is shit.
>>
File: DemoStage.webm (3MB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
DemoStage.webm
3MB, 854x480px
>>389630071
>too dumb
you mean people who didn't buy a license?
Honestly, it wouldn't be so bad if it didn't say
PERSONAL EDITION or FREE EDITION, but that was basically their entire marketing strategy for years

>this had to be the stupidest game I ever tried making. It was fun to play though...
>>
>>389629651
Because you don't need to be a developer to know that this game can't use multi-core CPUs for shit.
They also don't offer you any graphics settings most of the time, like in some mobile game. All you get is resolution and an ambiguous graphics detail setting in the launcher.
Also >>389629801
>>
who doesnt like it? /v/s favorite game hearthstone was made with it
>>
>>389629651
it's a stigma against indies, indies are the boogeyman because kids are lazy and overly critical and sometimes indies make bad games

ever go to youtube and notice that every youtuber is an unemployed connoisseur of criticism or a professional reviewer with a patreon? yeah, sort of unrelated but it kinda has to do with people being upset about shit that concern them or benefit them. it helps people make games,but it also gives people more games to play.

example: GEMS is a sound driver primarily used in American Sega Genesis games. It's usually a go to argument for why the console "sounds bad". If it wasn't for GEMS a bunch of games would have no sound and the production time would have increased because the programmers would have to input notes into something else by hand like crazy people. Unity is like the GEMS of today or something.
>>
>>389629807
Then level up the graphics yourself.
>>
>>389630343
>The problems with Unity are so evident
what might those be?
>>
>>389629651
As someone who is actually employed by a studio making a game in Unity (so I'm not biased against it), I think the real fault is at Steam's feet, not Unity. Unity and Unreal democratized game development in the same way that Gutenberg democratized books with the printing press. But that meant the quality of books went down, so instead of having the Book of Kells or whatever intricate hand-copied high-quality bible, you had smut and all sorts of other garbage.

The reason why this is Steam's fault is because Valve's greed blinded them from doing their real job: ensuring that the marketplace introduced its customers to good games. Apple didn't do this with the app store, Google didn't do this with the android store, and instead of looking at those historical examples and doing something about it, Valve decided to release Greenlight and just let the community police itself. It didn't work, because it was easily gamed and exploited by people releasing free shovelware games and pushing trading cards around for money.

Then Valve tried to implement the Curator system, which is just passing the buck to a smaller group of people. That didn't take hold either.

Now Valve has the Steam Direct $100 submission fee, which is equal to what Greenlight cost but is recoupable. And most importantly, someone at Valve reviews the game in some function directly. That's what we needed 5 years ago.
>>
>>389630413
oh and since I'm on /v/, I guess I'll give you guys the tl;dr version of what I said

tools are only as useful as the person using them. You seen that movie Empire of Dust? The chinese go to the Congo to help build a road and bring back a semblance of infrastructure and the Congolese are standing around wondering what the fuck to do and some are even stealing shit. Blame lazy game designers
>>
>>389630667
the shader doesnt look as good as unreals by default and i just cant stand for that
>>
>>389630825
>by default
Who cares what something looks like by default? That's the developer's fault

https://youtu.be/owZneI02YOU
>>
>>389630250
pretty much this

Unity advertises its name/brand on the worst games that are produced with it. It's a marketing failure.
>>
>>389630250

This is the truth.
>>
>>389630942
>It's a marketing failure.
no it's not, it's failed at being recognized for high quality content
it has not failed at marketing
>>
>>389631062
If it succeeded at marketing we wouldn't be having this thread right now.

People knowing what your product is doesn't help if they refuse to use it or refuse to buy products made on it, because of a bad image.
>>
>>389630867
>how to get good graphics in unity
>go to the asset store
And that's the problem with Unity. It makes you rely on third party solutions where as every other engine on the market gives you it by default straight out of the box.
>>
>>389631310
Post Processing Stack isn't third party. Unity bought the rights.

It is located on the asset store (for free), but again... only retarded developers don't utilize the store in some function or another. Everything you're whining about is on the developers' shoulders
>>
File: 1504705031535.jpg (52KB, 1423x213px) Image search: [Google]
1504705031535.jpg
52KB, 1423x213px
>>389629651
Since you've made thread about it.. can anyone tell me this program's name?
>>
>>389631297
>If it succeeded at marketing we wouldn't be having this thread right now.
And this thread effects quarterly revenue how?
lol, next you're going to tell me that scalping during a hurricane is bad for long term business when everyone knows we'll all forget about it in 2 months tops or when Trump does something to distract the public again
>>
>>389631402
This, TextMesh PRO is on the store, but Unity bought it so it's free to everyone

Any new game not using it is retarded completely.
>>
>>389631402
>Everything you're whining about is on the developers' shoulders
Yes, the developers of Unity. The same people who refuse to fix the basic problems with their engine and instead rely on third parties to provide solutions for them.

>for free
All of the other engines that Unity competes with are also free and have these solutions and many other built in.

>>389631557
The free version of TMP is broken compared to the previous paid one.
>>
>>389629651
Why do so many people who know nothing about game development pretend there's nothing wrong with this engine?
>>
>>389631615
>The free version of TMP is broken compared to the previous paid one.
There shouldn't be a paid version anymore

In fact, link the paid version right now on the asset store
I searched it and there's only a free version now which is the PRO version.

comon, show everyone you're full of shit

>All of the other engines that Unity competes with are also free and have these solutions and many other built in.
They were free much later and have much worse revenue sharing deals, plus they are C++ which people avoid.
>>
>>389631704
>Why do so many people who know nothing about game development pretend there's nothing wrong with this engine?
Why do so many people who know nothing about game development pretend there's something wrong with this engine?
>>
>>389631487
>And this thread effects quarterly revenue how?
If you can't understand why
>users are prejudiced against unity
>users don't buy games made in unity
>developers stop making games in unity due to fewer users
>unity makes less money in plus/pro subscriptions
doesn't affect quarterly revenue, I think you'd qualify as retarded. It's the same thing as blood diamonds in Africa. Diamond retailers are whining that gen X and millennials aren't buying diamonds.

Wonder why.
>>
>>389631874
Oh, now compare how many UE4 games are made/bought and the market cap of that compared to Unity and realize that they're doing just fine

I get it, I do, they make money by letting shitters pile out shit, but there's no denying it's working for them.
>>
>>389632194
>but there's no denying it's working for them.
in the past and currently, yes

I wouldn't trust you to be the CEO of a business because you assume the gravy train will always be running. This is the difference between a short-time stripminer and a long-term thinker.
>>
File: 1460478771712.jpg (23KB, 604x311px) Image search: [Google]
1460478771712.jpg
23KB, 604x311px
>>389629651
because no tutorials like in game maker
you have to copy pasta everything instead of just load file like in GM
>>
>>389632502
>company has and is making money
>I don't trust it because my advanced marketing degree is better than their entire board of directors
k

you got that text mesh pro paid version link that's better than the now free version yet? or is your knowledge dated by a year or two and you didn't realize that the entire thing is now free?
>>
>>389631474
Guys please I need help. How do you dig into Unity's files and which program is that?
>>
>>389632585
>than their entire board of directors
you realize that boards of directors are the most prone to short-term stripmining, right

the only CEOs/business owners that usually think in the long term are family businesses owned by the family patriarch/matriarch.

>you got that text mesh pro paid version link that's better than the now free version yet? or is your knowledge dated by a year or two and you didn't realize that the entire thing is now free?
what the fuck are you talking about? or are you too dumb to click the right post to respond to?
>>
>>389629651
it allows shit people to make shit games
>>
>game"devs"
You mean web devs but brain damaged?
>>
File: 1454935667319.jpg (62KB, 421x421px) Image search: [Google]
1454935667319.jpg
62KB, 421x421px
Aside from reputation problems, Unity actually is a shit engine. Mainly because the marketplace is a money tree and Unity will not add features that the engine direly needs because it would kill the marketplace.
>>
>>389629651
The majority of games made on this engine are either terribly optimized or horribly unfun, most times both.

>But muh Cities skylines muh Hearthstone

These games are not the majority. The Engine itself isn't the problem, it's the people who use it. When I play a game made with Unity 9/10 times it's shit.
>>
Devs behind Firewatch had alot of problems using Unity. They've stated that they won't be using it for future projects
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.