[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Todd Howard is a successful video game creator and owner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 4

File: 1504753953289.jpg (38KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1504753953289.jpg
38KB, 640x480px
>Todd Howard is a successful video game creator and owner of video game publisher and developer Bethesda Softworks, but lately he's been worried about the state of the industry and how risky it is to make high profile games
"To make a game takes a lot of time, money, effort, and talent only for people to play it for a month and then forget about it because they have experienced everything there is to see in the game. And then to keep the sales up, we gotta do promotions, discounts, game of the year editions, or release DLC which can take several months to a year to make. It just isn't feasible to make a game with unlimited high quality content."
>But what if it was? PC games for years have been sustained with a steady flow of free additional content packs known as mods made by passionate fans of the games; however, the more ambitious and higher quality mods can take years to complete because for copyright reasons the creators can only work for free in their spare time.
>But if Bethesda could make a deal with these mod makers to allow them to sell the mods if they agree to split the profits, then Bethesda could have an easy, consistent stream of revenue for years to come. And save costs by laying off several full time employees
>The plan? Turn these free mods into paid content by contracting their creators.
>>
>>389624202
This feels so much like an episode.
>>
>>389624202
>It just isn't feasible to make a game with unlimited high quality content."

It's not necessary in any way to make unlimited content. Games already give on average a much higher entertainment time to dollar return for the consumer than movies do. It's not like people make a film and expect everyone to watch it over and over.

You make the game, people play it through, then it's done.
>>
>>389624496
This is Todd tho.
>>
who would be more awkward face to face, Todd or Nathan?
>>
>>389624775
Nathan
>>
>>389624775
Nathan would make it uncomfortable if it wasnt enough
>>
>>389624496
>Games already give on average a much higher entertainment time to dollar return for the consumer than movies do.

Nobody thinks of it that way though. The comparison is only ever made to the individuals expectation and that expectation is almost arbitrary.

Honestly, you are kind of shooting yourself in the foot making a sandbox game, as a opposed to an open world game, because that means people's expectations suddenly skyrocket. Especially if you are a AAA developer. All the sudden every obscure and impractical mechanic they can imagine "should" have been in the game. Nobody makes those sorts of demands on linear corridor shooters for example, they get high praise for delivering significantly less content.
>>
File: n4y-gallery-bio.jpg (46KB, 682x1024px) Image search: [Google]
n4y-gallery-bio.jpg
46KB, 682x1024px
>gabe newell has established himself as the foremost provider of digital hats, using an online multiplayer game as a venue where players can show off their hats to one another.
"we've been at this for a while and people really like the hats. they buy them and they show them to their friends and then their friends buy hats too."
>but recently gabe has encountered some competition. a similar game has been created that, instead of using hats as its draw, relies on attractive women
>the plan? use an unfinished popular series from one of gabe's old products to draw customers back to his company
>>
>>389625451
I hope more people post their own Nathan plans.
>>
>>389625451
What games are those?
>>
>>389625451
but that's an actually sensible plan. Nathan's plan would have been like
>the plan? run an ad campaign to make people question their sexuality and turn gay, then release a new game with only males in it.
>>
File: images.jpg (7KB, 299x168px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
7KB, 299x168px
>game developers provide a service to their customer but they often do not reap the rewards of their labor
"we work really hard to... put a game out there that people will buy but when it hits the market alot of people will find ways to download it without paying and just... completely undermine everything we worked for"
>obviously this wasnt something i could let go on. i could see that without my help people would continue to download games without paying for them
>the plan? produce a free game funded entirely by product placement so that no one can pirate it.
>>
>>389625871
simultaneously he would have sneaked into the Blizzard headquarters with a really unconvincing Jeff Kaplan disguise and would have told the design team to make all female characters as unattractive as they can except for Zyra because she's already a bulldyke that only fat lesbians like, a ploy to sabotage Blizzard into ruining their own game.
>>
>>389626919
no, Nathan would try to develop a game so terrible that no one would want to pirate it.

>and where can we find a company that creates terrible games?

camera pans to the Bethesda headquarters logo
>>
>>389626919
I could create a better idea for this. Give me some time.
>>
>>389625451
Overwatch?
>>
>>389626919
heres how nathan would deal with that one
>we created a forty minute piracy scan that appears when the user first opens the game. though in actual fact its nothing more than a video which threatens to corrupt the users files and install malware we're hoping it will deter would be pirates who are worried abkut the safety of their computers
>i discussed this with my lawyer and we found that it WAS legal as long as we claimed it added to the atmosphere of the game
>>
>>389625451
FULLY
>>
>>389624202
>t just isn't feasible to make a game with unlimited high quality content.

Bethesda still hasn't made a game with a decent amount of low-quality content.
>>
File: 1381938037510.gif (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1381938037510.gif
2MB, 640x360px
>>389624202
>making a game takes a lot of time, effort and money, it's just not feasible to make good games anymore
>So let's have people make game for us free of charge and then sell it, giving them only a small fraction of the profits

B R A V O
R
A
V
O
>>
>>389624202
I love this show
>>
When is Nathan On Your Side coming back?
>>
>>389628507
Would that really work?
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.