[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it the player or the games responsibility to "get go

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 217
Thread images: 44

File: gitgud.png (619KB, 995x564px) Image search: [Google]
gitgud.png
619KB, 995x564px
Is it the player or the games responsibility to "get good?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDjIuMYemfI&t=1s
>>
>>389610990
good enough to beat a tutorial level, nobody can fuck up a tutorial level, is humiliating that one gets stuck in the easiest level
>>
>>389610990

Its ok to be bad at video games. It is NOT okay to write about video games you dont know how to play
>>
>>389610990
Have my boys Rich from Reviewtechusa and Alphaomegasin made any videos about this issue?
>>
There's a reasonable minimum competency that's expected of people who review video games.

Maybe that they're in the upper oh I dunno 70%.
>>
>>389610990
it is when it's your profession
>Should I be allowed to do my job even if I'm bad at it?
No, no you should not
>>
>>389610990
if you're not good for a certain genre, let someone else play it and do the writing. Writing about a game and call it challenging becuase you suck at it is bullshit
>>
>>389610990
This is all marketing to drive traffic to their channel.
Whether OP is literally them or someone looking for honest discussion, people.need to stop shilling for them.
>>
File: 1504708156992.webm (2MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1504708156992.webm
2MB, 640x360px
>>
>>389612074
there was a time when I would call bs on this because lol 4chan. Reddit ruined this site desu
>>
>>389610990
This shit is so stupid that it warrants at the best a food analogy
>guy becomes become food reiwerer
>doesn't know how to cook and his favorite restaurant is fast food
>surprised when people say his opinion is shit
I don't want a person who reviews or criticizes something have no idea what they're doing or lack skill at what they're doing. Because you can get a review from any jabroni in that case and it holds just as little water.
>>
>>389611837
The person question is not a game reviewer, he covers the industry.

>>389611985
His job is to write about games. Playing is a part of that, sure, but his ability to write about games is the much more important skill here.

Dude has been writing professionally about games and mainly the games industry for over 20 years. Longer than many of you have been alive.
>>
How can you write about games if you play them on such a level that it is impossible for you to understand their mechanics and depth? All this talk of "I don't need to be good at games in order to be good at writing about them" stuff is utter bullshit. The latter REQUIRES the former.
>>
>>389612417
can't tell if troll....
>>
File: 1504248133894.jpg (7KB, 106x177px) Image search: [Google]
1504248133894.jpg
7KB, 106x177px
>>389611342

This, if you can't beat the game you have no right to review it.

That's like asking a deaf person to review music.
>>
>>389612417
How much does it suck to be given "defend our company on the internet" as a task during stand up? You guys have tried changing the narrative on this story 3 times already.
>>
>>389612337
He's not a critic in the least though. He covers news stories, dude has never been a reviewer. He concerns himself with the more technical aspects of game hardware and the industry at large. This barely anything to do with being good at games.
>>
I can't believe we've allowed this to become a thing. Its not like its a big surprise that (((games journalist))) are shit at games. Just look at all of the games they enjoy, easy, mainstream, narrative driven garbage that requires absolutely no skill or thought from the player. Its either that or shitty SJW games that only exist to push the (((agenda))). Fuck games journalism it started out as AD driven trash and no matter how much we try to change it, it will always be this way.
>>
>>389612421
Reminder that this is like being a book reviewer who can only read at a fourth grade level.
>>
>>389610990
why would anyone watch a podcast conducted over video chat? The fucking delay ruins any chemistry between the people, what with the awkward pauses and interruptions.
>>
>>389611342
>>389612514
This
>>
>>389611138
This, failing to beat a tutorial level is the scrubbiest thing that a player can do
>>
File: 1494979949051.jpg (111KB, 467x470px) Image search: [Google]
1494979949051.jpg
111KB, 467x470px
>>389610990
>20 years of experience
>Paid for doing this
>Spends two minutes on a fucking tutorial unable to press two buttons and the next 25 minutes unable to clear the first level of a platformer
>/v/ tries to defend this
>>
>>389612417
>his ability to write about games is the much more important skill here
how is he supposed to write anything other than:
>I had a good time with it
>I like the artstyle and music for the retro vibes they give off

he can't write anything about how well the game handles, how it compares to other 2-D beat-em-up/platformers, how challenging it is, or anything along those lines because he can't comprehend how to play the game
He can't explain why gameplay mechanics work or don't work, what makes them good or bad as a video game because he can't even get past the tutorial to see what the game has to offer
I don't get how well he can write an article, the video is prove enough that he has no credibility when it comes to a game other than its visuals, music, and concept, which is bad because there is still a GAME there
>>
>>389612667
>while reading I saw some big words I didn't know so I just ignored them. About 2 chapters in the story got very confusing. Who is this guy? Why does he kill all those people? Where did those mountains come from? I feel the author doesn't do a good job explaining the world.
>Chapters 5 and 8 were just talking bits, there was no fights and it was very boring so I skipped past them.
>Later on I found out my favorite character died for no reason off-screen! A very cheap way to write him out in my opinion.

>overall it was a very poor mess, I would rate it a mere 4 stars out of 5
>>
File: 10_seconds.png (215KB, 1637x1067px) Image search: [Google]
10_seconds.png
215KB, 1637x1067px
This shit absolutely PLAGUES fighting games.

So many fucking people are shit at fighting games but think that they can have an opinion and express their thoughts about which fighting games are better than other fighting games and what fighting game mechanics are good and which aren't.

It fucking sucks, I know, but fighting games aren't casual shooters like Overwatch. You can't play for 10 minutes and understand everything about them. You have to put in some time and dedication to learning and continuous self improvement before you can even stand a chance playing at a competent level.

If you want to talk about fighting games, you HAVE to at least be competent at them. It's not the games fucking job to dumb itself down for you to understand it. It's YOUR job to put in the time and effort to fucking GIT GUD.
>>
>>389612417
Anon, Dean has been reviewing games his entire career. He is, for all intents and purposes, a game reviewer.
He gave Mass Effect a bad score because he couldn't figure out how to level up.
He shat on WH40k Space Marine because he thought it was a Gears of War ripoff.
He said Xcom 2 would have no playerbase in a month because it was too hard.
>>
>>389613252
you forgot
>The author should have made this book easier I'll rate it lower because it doesn't pander to my (questionable) skill level
>>
>>389613341

There's nothing wrong with having an opinion on fighting games as a casual, but

>Fighting games need to remove inputs, frame data, etc or the genre will DIE

Is horseshit.
>>
File: large_3f0164fa3426061b9990.jpg (157KB, 636x597px) Image search: [Google]
large_3f0164fa3426061b9990.jpg
157KB, 636x597px
>59 minutes discussing a box and jump dash with the same gravity as a hurricane evacuation

Before it was a temporary meme, now it's permanent.
>>
>>389613341
yeah okay, but the story mode isn't good so 3/10
>>
Games aren't a story medium. The story is just the glue that holds the game together.
>>
File: 1445658458237.png (602KB, 963x720px) Image search: [Google]
1445658458237.png
602KB, 963x720px
>>389610990
If you were a Chad too busy doing other stuff, I would understand not caring much about games. But how do people who look like that end up being bad at video games?
>>
>>389612813
they only defend because they want to be "le edgy contrarian XDXDXDD". deep inside everybody is disgusted by this
>>
>>389614018

so in other words, without a good story, games fall apart and break?
>>
>>389614132
>wasted more than half his life playing video games for a living
>so bad that you're the laughing stock of normie children
The worst part is that all he had to do was come clean and admit that he is beyond shit and just move on. Instead, he called everyone elitist, attributed not being able to jump on a crate to Cuphead being hard, and made an hour long video where he still avoids admitting that he's bad at video games period and it has nothing to do with Cuphead.
>>
>>389612337
sounds like dsp
>>
>>389615154

why do lolcows always double down instead of cutting their losses and letting it go?

they always fucking double down and make things 10x worse
>>
>>389610990
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RkapfBYIfc
>>
I can understand not being able to do an air dash, if your only experience with platformers is Mario and you have never played Mega Man. But how do you justify jumping at the side of a pillar for the 15th time when the last 14 times didn't work? This isn't about skill or reading comprehension; this is about basic problem solving.
>>
>>389610990
The guy whose footage they captured doesn't normally play games, right? I feel like this should have been presented more as some kind of clickbait bullshit like "Our industry coverage guy tried to play Cup Head prank social experiment gone sexy 2017" and it would have been fine. Watching somebody struggle with really basic concepts like reading instructions on the screen and then executing them is just really frustrating and distracts from the game itself. The player should be gud enough to exhibit some small amount of competency. They don't have to be a pro or anything.
>>
>>389613252
>the specific copy I read was leather bound and as a strong advocate for animal rights this upset me very much
>this will unfortunately bring down its final score at the end of my review
>>
File: 1378511592520.jpg (301KB, 932x918px) Image search: [Google]
1378511592520.jpg
301KB, 932x918px
>>389612213
>literally has LESS problem solving ability than a fucking pigeon

just how? I can defend the bad gameplay of nu-Doom because I would probably play like that if they force me to play on a controller but this is literally fucking inexcusable.
>>
>>389610990
>trying to shill more venturebeat
it's not going to happen dean
you will be back to 200 views per video in no time
>>
If your job is to know about video games you should know about video games. It's not about having the responsibility to 'get good'. It's about doing your job. You wouldn't expect somebody who has a job covering movies to not know what a scene was or openly speak about how they don't like the concept of movies.
>>
File: 1363248557059.png (585KB, 682x682px) Image search: [Google]
1363248557059.png
585KB, 682x682px
>>389616364
>"I can defend the bad gameplay of nu-Doom because I would probably play like that if they force me to play on a controller but this is literally fucking inexcusable."
>implying they would have been any better with a keyboard & mouse

Yeah fucking right.
>>
>>389612417
>is ability to write about games is the much more important skill here

You know, you're right. In fact, why won't we read one of his thought provoking articles right now.

>But the similarities between THQ’s third-person shooter game, developed by its Relic Entertainment studio, and Microsoft’s Gears of War third-person shooter series, developed by Epic Games, are just piling up by the dozen. Start with the over-sized armor and bodybuilder physiques of the marines. When you aim a gun in Space Marine, the target reticle is huge, just like the target reticle in Gears of War. The guns are huge and they feature a chainsaw blade that can be used to slice enemies in half, execution style, similar to the “chainsaw bayonet” of the Gears soldiers.

>The blood spatters are also quite similar. The guns shoot in a similar fashion and the Space Marines wield a big giant hammer that resembles the blasting hammers not from Gears of War but from Microsoft’s other sci-fi franchise, Halo.

>When I asked the THQ folks about this, they immediately pointed out that this game was set in the Warhammer universe, which has its own rich and original lore. In fact, this universe predates the existence of Gears of War, so you might argue that Gears of War copies Warhammer 40,000.

>Of course, since the THQ guys had a handy explanation of the difference so readily available, it seemed like they knew they were going to get asked that question.

>The bad guys are the green Ork enemies from the Warhammer world, and they bear no resemblance to the enemies in Gears of War, except that they make loud grunts. Of course, their very name does bear resemblance to the “orcs” in Tolkien’s Lord of the Rings, but we’ll ignore that for now.
>>
>>389610990

This is so horrible watch, its basically a fat gay asian trying to defend his retardation.

Also the 2nd player in the gamespot video was equally bad, whoever the fuck was playing didn't know how to change the direction of the laser.
>>
>>389616364
Nigger I got through nu-Doom on ultra-violence and some of nightmare on a fucking controller

Literally no excuse
>>
File: what's an rpg again.jpg (134KB, 793x889px) Image search: [Google]
what's an rpg again.jpg
134KB, 793x889px
>>389612417
Wait a minute, I thought he wasn't a reviewer! Are you lying to me, anon?
>>
>>389617214
How does this retarded faggot even get through life?

>It turns out that I had money in my pocket just waiting there to be spent on food! I never needed to starve to death after all!
>>
This entire thing is just baffling to me. Can someone actually explain to me how someone who has been supposedly playing games for over 20 years could be SO bad at them? The only thing that I can think of is that he has some sort of mental problems, not even joking.
>>
>>389619251
What's more pathetic is that he and all of his co-workers have been defending that video non stop since it came out. They don't even seem to realize (at the least, they haven't acknowledged) that he was so bad that it goes beyond
>uhhh Cuphead is hard
being a valid answer
>>
So I've been pumping gas for 20 years but I'm still not entirely sure which type of gas goes into which type of car and I'm also not that good at getting it into the car so I spill a lot of it.
>>
>>389610990
Is that levelord?
>>
>>389617214
wtf
>>
>>389616909
>I asked a straightforward and entirely ignorant question of people who have been working with the source material for literal years, probably known about it for more
>He had an answer to a question I could have easily researched so therefore there's something shady going on here. Why would I take the time to research it? Me churning out a two minute piss-rag is worth more than all the effort this dude has put in. But me receiving games for free is not a conflict of interest, don't be silly.
Aren't these guys insistent about how much games NEED to be art and mature? Where do they get off on being so disrespectful to artists?
>>
>>389612337
That's a poor analogy. It's better to say that he ordered a soup and tried to eat it with a fork. Then when he fails at eating the soup, he blames the chef.
>>
>>389617214
Wasn't this unusually common for ME? I've heard multiple people talk about making this same mistake.
>>
File: IMG_1465.jpg (196KB, 1003x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1465.jpg
196KB, 1003x1080px
>>389610990
>>389616909
>>389617214

I don't give a shit if jurnos are the Masters of the Video Game World, but maybe Dean could get a LITTLE better

Like, maybe he should write about tech. The daft cunts that review TVs and phones sounds about as vapid as he does, so he'd fit right in.
>>
File: grasping woman.jpg (28KB, 600x579px) Image search: [Google]
grasping woman.jpg
28KB, 600x579px
You don't have have to get GOOD but at least least get descent at it.
>>
>>389612421
The guy from the cuphead video is more of a games business reporter than a game reviewer
>>
>>389617214
>wooooooow how did I know that pausing the game opened a menu where you can customise equipment and skills

>>389622038
Anon, when you go into the menu, there is a big flashing "SQUAD" icon indicating you can put in skills or change your equipment.
>>
Political bloggers literally shitting their pants now that players are once again questioning how good they are at their jobs.
>>
File: IMG_1467.jpg (392KB, 2048x1406px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1467.jpg
392KB, 2048x1406px
Imagine being so bad at video games that you get your friend to make an article like this.
>>
Even DSP is more competent at video games than Dean is, and it's not even DSP's job to give an analysis of them.
>>
>>389622564
DSP may have failed spectacularly at P3 but at least he made it past the intro.
>>
File: IMG_1468.jpg (297KB, 925x1505px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1468.jpg
297KB, 925x1505px
>>389622552
>>
>>389610990
the meme that keeps on giving
>>
>game reviewers who suck at games decide whether you need to be good at games to review them
>the answer is no sweeties, please donate to anita and buy zoe's book
>>
>>389610990
No, you don't have to.
But if you want to play against other people, one would need to realize they might have go against people who in fact got gud
>>
File: 5343545543345.jpg (19KB, 438x374px) Image search: [Google]
5343545543345.jpg
19KB, 438x374px
>>389622552
STOP FIGURING OUT THAT WE ARE UNFIT TO WORK IN THIS BUSINESS!!!!
>>
I think any review of a video game should now include the reviewers entire gameplay video. This should be mandatory.
People have the right to know when a reviewer is some low IQ mouthbreather.
>>
>>389622321
Then he shouldn't be doing journalism like a game reviewer. He has a responsibility to both the developer and the consumer to represent the game. It's horribly disrespectful to the developers (who have worked for a very long time) he's received the game from and is entirely useless to the consumer in terms of making a decision. It's straight up irresponsible to release something like this when your job is to inform people's buying decisions.
>>
>>389612514
A deaf man is considered one of the greatest composers.
>>
>>389622708
I like how the image in that article makes it look like he was trying to beat some mega demon boss and not a stationary tutorial block.
>>
The thing about the Cuphead video is that it has less about your skill at playing video games and more to do with following basic instructions, I'm almost positive somebody had to take the controller from Dean to show him how to air dash
>>
>>389622857
He became deaf only later in life.
>>
>>389612514
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmmqarQRSSE&t=60

Blind guy is better at games that this journalist.
>>
>>389622857
Was a always deaf when he was a composer? No, he used that experience from making compositions when he could hear to make music when he was deaf
>>
>>389622857
But he couldn't review music as he can't consume it. He couldn't tell how something sounds or how well a song is mixed. Review and creation are different.
>>
>>389622985
There's a guy that can only play with his feet that can do a proper machinist opener and rotation in XIV.
>>
I mean, it's kinda meaningless in the end since being qualified in your field is the least important thing in terms of internet media. As long as you generate interest, negative or positive, you will be employed.

A failure in the field of internet journalism is one that doesn't attract attention; not the accuracy of your work.
>>
>>389613642
but this is what ultimately the casual criticism of fighting games is coming down to

>I can't do a fucking hadouken, fighting games shouldn't have complicated inputs
>I can't make a simple string of 5 moves, fighting games shouldn't rely on combos

etc.
>>
>>389623098
There's also a Street Fighter player who goes to tournaments and does fairly well despite having to play with his tongue.
>>
>>389619251
I am pretty sure either of my parents, who haven't even attempted to play a videogame for 20+ years would probably figure this out faster than good ol Dean.
>>
>>389623228
Throwing this out here though: If I were a developer I'd be blacklisting the journalist for future early copies. Not to mention the fact that streamers are phasing out journalism like that. A streamer can sneeze and gain 10 times the publicity an article will get, in addition to informing the consumer about the game far more accurately. I don't imagine there'll be much market for it soon enough.
>>
>show cuphead video to mom
>is that a new mario game anon?
>this looks like your dad at the arcades
>he still doesn't read the instructions to anything

I'm dyin /v/
>>
Well, they teach you in Journalism school that the worst sin a reporter could do, is become the news themselves.

Dean's one job was to showcase the new Cuphead game, one that is hotly anticipated, and show his readers a little bit of what to expect. Dean's poor playing is so distracting, the video became about him, essentially usurping the one reason he was recording video for. He failed at all aspects with this video. He failed Cuphead, he failed his Fans and Readers, and he failed the very story it was his job to cover. What a trash person.
>>
>>389623463
As much as I'm glad that streamers are generally more transparent and just show you commentated gameplay instead of a scored review I am a little concerned about this transition. If you thought journos could be corrupted and bribed just think of what's going on behind the scenes with streamers, they have no reason not to take free games and bribes and such. Their accountability is even less.
>>
>>389623463
nah, there will always be a market as long as AAA shovelware exists. You think EA wants a streamer to give people an honest look at their shit when they could just pay a 'journalist' to bumble through the tutorial for 30 minutes then give it a 10?
>>
File: 543534453435.jpg (90KB, 948x676px) Image search: [Google]
543534453435.jpg
90KB, 948x676px
>>389623535
You don't need to have journalistic integrity if your job title is video game blogger.
>>
>>389623535
Videogame journalists did not go to school.
>>
>>389623613
Good thing I don't need someone to tell me what is good or not.
>>
>>389623613
As far as I'm aware a lot of streamers use a 'if I like it I'll shill it, if I dont I'll play it for 1 session and not talk too much about it' sort of policy.
>>
Its kinda obvious that he should have a skill level where he can say if the game has glitches or bugs, if the controls are good, f it's running in 30 or 60 fps and so on.
>>
>>389623706
That's fine. I think if you watch a stream and judge a game on what you're seeing then that's the best way to do it.
If you listen to what they say... I'm not sure I can ever trust it.
Unless it's a streamer who you know the tastes of already beforehand.
>>
>>389623535
>teach you in Journalism school
Not a single person who writes about video games has even been near a classroom related to journalism. Majority are just arts/humanities degrees who have no scruples. Every videogame publication ever completely fails every check in the ethics of journalism fullstop since the entire business exists only to be another form of advertising for video games.

VentureBeats is probably ecstatic at this outcome and are likely getting a huge influx of offers of games to review, specifically by Dean so that their game also gets massive exposure. Dean won and all he had to do was play a video game like your grandmom for 25 minutes.
>>
>>389622865
I like how it's trying to link the ridicule he's receiving to a dead unpopular movement. I hadn't even thought of GGate since it was banned from this site til they brought it up.
>>
>>389623613
I agree but I'm a bit less worried. It's obvious if a streamer has received a press-release copy because they're playing it before release. Even if they're being a shady bastard and not talking about the fact they received it for free: It's not like they can hide glaring flaws that are present on screen. Bugs and straight up broken content would be much more evident. What you need to look out for are people deflecting any possible criticism with "It's not a finished product guys! Still in development!" Which can be somewhat valid but is often used to just shut up discussion.

>>389623616
Doesn't matter if nobody is reading what the 'journalist' puts out anymore because the funny man friend-simulator with the beard says memes and talks to them sometimes.
>>
>>389623803
Giant Bomb (especially Brad) has been pretty good at getting me to buy games because I see then play one and I get so angry at how bad they play that I have to buy it and see for myself just how much they're misrepresenting the game.
Bought World of FF and Yakuza Kiwami thanks to them.
>>
>>389622552
>gamergate invented Nazis
>gamergate invented Johnny Rebs
>gamergate invented the KKK
>gamergate invented Russians

Amazing. Gamgergate will end up giving Eve the apple at this rate.
>>
>>389623926
As a long time fan of Giantbomb I understand your position.
Whenever they get excited about some first person shooter or indie-shit game I know to avoid it since it's most certainly not a game that would interest me.

Conversely if they dislike a game, I might want to check it out.
>>
File: IMG_1017.png (142KB, 333x237px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1017.png
142KB, 333x237px
>>389622708
>an economic journalist
>a specialist in video game industry
Make up your fucking mind.
>>
>>389624387
Anon, don't fall for the mailing list lies. He's put out video game reviews before and now that their little cabal is facing scrutiny they're revving up those spin engines.
>>
>>389611769
those guys are bigger faggots than dean and IGN combined.
>>
>>389610990
It's the game's responsibility to convey enough information for the player to be able to know how to play the game properly however it's the players responsibility to I'm gay.
>>
>>389622552
>the emperor has no clothes
so they admit it? are they too dumb to comprehend what that story was about?
>>
>>389612213
This reminds me of the time I watched my grandmother struggle through the first few levels of Portal.
>>
>>389613341
It's not the same. Fighting games require you to autistically abuse game design flaws meanwhile something like Cuphead is just pure good old fashioned functional game design that actually makes sense.
>>
>>389622772
if you think thats the issue at hand, you've got humor ahead of you
>>
>>389625312
git gud; didn't read the rest scrub
>>
>>389625294
I actually tried playing through Portal 2 co-op with my 30 year old sister the other day and it was the most painful video game experience of my life. I had to tell her what to do for every single puzzle. I would let her cluelessly look around a bit first though because I didn't want to just tell her the solution immediately. Despite this she didn't want to stop because she thought that I would be disappointed, and meanwhile Glados is constantly insulting her the whole time, to which my sister awkwardly laughs along and quietly says "yeah I guess I am pretty dumb..."

THANKS VALVE
>>
File: 1467242562672.jpg (58KB, 450x597px) Image search: [Google]
1467242562672.jpg
58KB, 450x597px
>>389625143
>>
>>389626303
she should become a video game journalist
>>
File: 1489543882345.png (430KB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
1489543882345.png
430KB, 680x680px
he thinks its okay to be bad at games as long as he's self-deprecating about it but there's a fucking limit to self-deprecation humor.
>>
>>389616909
Unbelievable. Not only is he bad at games, he's also ignorant as hell and uneducated on anything he reviews.
>>
>>389626303
getting anybody over the age of 25 into video games is a mistake, just don't even bother.
>>
>>389612417
t. dumbass dick sucker dean
>>
>>389626303
My older sister is actually pretty good at video games. She just doesn't play them for some reason. She's played enough CTR and Mario Kart so that I don't have to pretend to struggle or hold back which is nice.
>>
File: IMG_1470.jpg (344KB, 1928x1152px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1470.jpg
344KB, 1928x1152px
>American games journalism

That's the problem. In the U.K. they just have a laugh about it.
https://youtu.be/5TjobYlOcng
>>
>>389615438
Pride, delusion, retardation, among myriad other descriptors that you can paint modern game journalists with
>>
File: 54534543545433.png (102KB, 500x416px) Image search: [Google]
54534543545433.png
102KB, 500x416px
>>389628479
>>
>>389625312
>autistically abuse game design flaws
Nigger, what? Everything in a fighting game is designed to be fucking used. In fact, designing a fighting game is probably the most intricate and "old fashioned" game design there could possibly be. Fighting games have barely changed since the 90s, which makes them old fashioned as fuck.
Think about it. Fighting game designers have to design every single character to be unique from each other and balance each character to be able to deal with the tools of other characters.
Fighting game designers are at any fucking time ONE frame away from breaking the entire game. They could accidently make the recovery on a punch be one frame shorter than it needs to be, and that one punch could lead to an infinite combo which could break the entire game.
I know you are trolling, but go fuck yourself.
>>
>>389628658
Meant for
>>389615286
>>
>>389628370
Same here. She was good at multiplayer shit but got buttmad that I beat her 75% of the time anyways. She played some single player stuff like Phoenix Wright but stopped eventually.
>>
File: IMG_1455.jpg (118KB, 1168x876px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1455.jpg
118KB, 1168x876px
>>389628667
>>
File: evil.png (140KB, 293x302px) Image search: [Google]
evil.png
140KB, 293x302px
I'm more attractive than every single one of these men and I'm not even good-looking. What the fuck happened to this country?
>>
>>389622143
I'm going to love using this image. Thank you.
>>
this should not be a debate, if you can't even beat a fucking tutorial level you should not review said game
now if you want to talk about the financial side of gaming or reveal information you got somehow that's fine i don't care, do that
but don't fucking review shit
>>
File: 1321929805319021.jpg (17KB, 233x318px) Image search: [Google]
1321929805319021.jpg
17KB, 233x318px
>>389613341

fighting games are unintuitive and taxing as fuck, there's a reason people prefer shit like smash
>>
>cant play a simple game for shit
>ITS OK TO BE RETARDED
>>
>>389628301
She actually played a lot of video games when we were younger, which is why we tried this together.
>>
>>389610990

Hi Michael from Car review here I have been writing about cars for 20+ years and i have never set foot inside a car or even have a driver's licence i don't even know how to drive.
>>
File: 1450638592932.png (7KB, 138x153px) Image search: [Google]
1450638592932.png
7KB, 138x153px
>make a platformer that, in terms of difficulty, is on par with something from 1995
>it's given to a retarded ass reviewer who is not only unfamiliar with games but bad at the ones he plays
>he's a moron and can't clear the tutorial so he gives the overall game a bad score, despite experiencing 1% of it
>people call him out on being a moron
>"GAMERGATE!"
>>
>>389629029
it IS ok to be retarded but it's not ok to pretend to be an expert if you are retartet
>>
File: F-Zero_GX_box_artwork.png (186KB, 250x355px) Image search: [Google]
F-Zero_GX_box_artwork.png
186KB, 250x355px
>>389613341
>You can't play for 10 minutes and understand everything about them. You have to put in some time and dedication to learning and continuous self improvement before you can even stand a chance playing at a competent level.

This applies to plenty of games that are meant to be hard, not just fighters. Pic related, a completely new player is not getting past chapter 2 without taking the time to learn how to go around corners and when to boost.
>>
>>389613341
Guilty Gear is a fun series and I enjoy the aggressive anti-turtling mechanics. I tried out fighting games for a few weeks once.
I've never won a match, the concept of reading in fighting games eludes me utterly. I also experience information overload while trying to play them so they are technically more horrifying than horror games.
>>
>>389622857
>a man remembered to this day is a proper comparison to a career fuckup
>>
>>389629158
My God, me too! We need to keep this dark secret under wraps.
>>
>>389616909
This shit is way more infuriating than just being terrible at platforners, wow
>>
>>389628667
>Overwatch player tries TF2,png
>>
>>389629306
You get to "reading" your opponent after you know the basics and fundamentals. Also, Guilty Gear is a super complicated fighting game, especially when you first start out.
>>
You don't have to get good.

However, if you choose not to get good, then you have no right to complain about the consequences of being bad.
>>
>>389622857
You ignorant slut.
>>
>>389623926
I've found more great titles from posts on this united negro college fund scholarship rally forum than I have from any modern game website in the last three years
>>
>Games journalist for 20 years
>I've never played Megaman

GTFO
>>
>>389629525
Isn't reading a fundamental?
>>
>>389629218
Putting aside the fact that a game this hard cannot exist in today's market, /v/ would hate this game if it came out today for the first time just because its difficulty will be blamed on the controls.
>>
>>389629656
It's hard to describe, but you basically have to be able to react to what is happening, not panic mash, and know situations you're going to be in and have reactions to those situations prepared.
For example:
>Someone is jumping at me
Anti-Air.
>Someone is throwing a fireball at me
Throw my own back/jump over it/jump at them and attack

But, some of these situations aren't really react-able. You can't visually watch the screen and see that they threw a fireball unless they are at full screen. This is where you have to make a "Read". If they are predictable and you make a read that they will throw a fireball, have what you do in a fireball situation prepared and then do it.
>>
>>389629656
fuck no
fundamentals are shifumi and inputing your shit without mistakes
all done in the lab
>>
>>389612417
>The person question is not a game reviewer, he covers the industry.
Yeah! That's why he's reviewed so many games that he has several comparable fuck ups to this one to look back on!
Wait...
>>
>>389610990
>be shit at video games
>cant handle the banter and make a 1 hour podcast about it
What a bunch of cunts
>>
>>389629343
IS CARISM UNDER THE ATTACK OF ELITIST IVORY TOWER SNOBS WHO DEMAND THINGS LIKE "Knowing how to reverse" AND "Not calling the pedals 'footrests'"
>>
File: bitchholdon.jpg (70KB, 702x1024px) Image search: [Google]
bitchholdon.jpg
70KB, 702x1024px
>>389623036
Whoa now, Beethoven had perfect pitch and at least SOME vague recollection of what all the instruments should sound like. He could literally read any piece of music or a score and "hear" it perfectly in his head. The man was more capable of "reviewing" music without actual hearing than 99.9% of the populace WITH functioning ears.

Dumbass.
>>
>>389629827
I'm not really sure how to really improve then, I usually practice inputs against NPCs, get used to that and then when I go to fight a player they're a lot faster than the training dummies I've been hitting for the past several hours. I thought it might have gotten better with exposure but I keep getting spooked.
>>
>>389622708
I don't know what's worse about this article, the pompous, self-absorbed style of writing or the fact that they couldn't go five fucking seconds without a stairs muffin.
>>
>>389622552
I love how they continually flip-flop between gamergate being a tiny minority of basement dwelling losers to some unstoppable political behemoth whenever it's convenient.
>>
>>389622708
>Consumers of a skill based medium dictate a minimum standard of competence
Wow really? What a bunch of nazis.
>>
>>389630021
True, but at this point you might notice that the original comparison is starting to fall apart because Beetlejuice was a talented man in the realm of music, while the aforementioned journalist is absolutely not talented in his area.
>>
>>389630021
>Perfect pitch is a magical superpower that lets you hear things that don't go on sheet music just by reading sheet music
OK anon. He could also breath underwater and talk to animals.
>>
>>389630923
This ain't the 21st century we're talking about, friend. Most of the popstars had their tunes on sheet.
>>
File: 1502567598057.jpg (128KB, 455x471px) Image search: [Google]
1502567598057.jpg
128KB, 455x471px
>the guy literally just couldn't accept that he's abd at video games and left it at that
>instead draws it out for what i hope is publicity
>>
>>389629306
Fighting games normally are very obtuse to get in to. What people think what they should see and what they actually see when playing are two very different things. Someone can easily make like ten bad decisions in a span of a few seconds in a fighting game. In other genres you get a lot longer time to fuck up when learning. Guilty Gear is actually held back in that it is meant to be a complex game for people who already enjoy fighting games. The three things you should try to learn when getting into fighters are how to sweep, how to grab, and when to block. Sweeps are punishable on block, but are completely safe on hit. At the lowest level they are theoretically the highest reward you can get for winning the neutral because they cause knockdown. Grabs are important because they too are safe on hit, and they beat block. So if someone is blocking your sweeps you grab instead. Then blocking keeps you safe when it is a bad time to sweep or grab. It'll protect you from your enemies aggression, and if they try to come in for a grab you sweep. Learning a really simple block string and how to anti air are also important, but you should work yourself up to that.
>>
>>389610990
>Do we have to get good at vidya?
>We, the guys who are shitty at vidya, decide!

No. Blow your brains out you dumber-than-a-pigeon retards.
>>
>>389630993
Yes. But he can't consume music as he is deaf. There are certain things such as particulars about how a vocalist is singing for example. Beethoven wouldn't be able to tell me if a vocalist was flat or if the drums overpowered everything else. He'd be a shit music reviewer because he can't consume the material.
>>
>>389610990
Dean look like a ok dude but his coworkers are complete pieces of shit is ovious they force to post the video again his will
>>
>>389631065
At the very least, they should "get good" at writing. I'm tired of shitty journalism and it all begins with teaching these fuckers how to write past a middle-school level.
>>
I've actually had dealings with Dean in the past. His expertise is focused on industry, rather than the games themselves. Plus his topics usually revolve around tech and mobile. He's not really a "gamer".
>>
This reminds me of the guy who only got the first ending of Nier Automata (basically the prologue) then gave it a shit review and refused to play it further.
>>
>>389631107
R E T A R D

He can consume music in its purest form unhindered by the skill of the musicians performing it. He can imagine it any way he wants. We're not talking about individual performances here, which will vary from day to day and group to group, we're simply talking about the compositions themselves.

Saying a song is shit because someone performed it like shit is wrong. Same with the Cuckhead game. The game isn't good or bad because the reviewer sucks ass at the game.
>>
>>389631232
Then why was he the one playing?
>>
>>389610990
The endless journo salt over this is unbelievable; i guess the truth hurts.
>>
>>389610990
The fact that the scrub who failed at the game keeps coming up with excuse after excuse as to why everyone and everything else is the problem shows that he does not have the ability to properly review something that's beyond him. Part of reviewing videogames should be the ability to put yourself in the shoes of other people, especially if you are playing a genre you are not interested in or good at. The whole point of being a reviewer is to provide an objective as possible view of a game to help other people in deciding whether or not that game is for them, but a lot of reviewers these days have just gone full on self service with little care for anyone else or even considering an opinion beyond there own.

I ain't saying reviewers can be entirely objective but the point is they don't even try. Since this cunt can't even fathom the fact that HE might be the problem then that paints an unfair image of the game. Luckily people saw him playing it and know he's complete dogshit.
>>
>>389613693
They are digging their grave more and more.
If Dean was a woman, they'd have banned all criticism, nobody outside /ourguys/ would've made videos laughing at this and we'd have GG 2.0
>>
>>389631430
It's a joke of a career and thanks to the current social/political/technological climate, journos in general are getting more defensive about it. Just look at how quickly they run to their blogs and twitter accounts whenever an e-celeb releases a video shitting on them, when in the past most journos wouldn't have batted an eye.

People these days are more interested in what social media/e-celebs have to say. Tabloids and game journos (hard to differentiate the two these days) are going the way of print media. It's no wonder they've started screeching and whining even louder whenever people take them to task about poor reporting.
>>
>>389630923
what the fuck, have you never read music in your life, it literally is hearing the music in your head, the same way reading words is
>reading some sentences in different voices

nigger
>>
>Be game """journalist"""
>Review games for a living
>Awful at it and give it bad score
>People are fucking pissed
>Better complain to the people for being elitist and to the gamegate boogeyman instead of getting better at said game and actually give it the review it deserve

What the fuck happened?
>>
>>389631318

They claim he was the only guy VB had on the event.

Could also be networking:
>Hey I'm bad at games
>How about you let me try out your game, we make a video, you can get publicity, and we, hits

Which is also likely.

For all I know he could really be just talking to people randomly and got roped into trying the game out. I wasn't there unfortunately. I'll see if I can ask him about if and when we have to talk to him again.
>>
>>389631430
It's not even the first time this idiot has done it either. He shit all over the first Mass Effect came and it turns out he never assigned a single talent point to any character.

Then there was a huge of articles from other journalists saying it's ok that it happened since he apologized and they all stated Ubisoft could've made it more obvious or stating things like "I didn't even know about weapon upgrades, so it's a common mistake."

Can't do platformers, can't do RPGs, but he sure as shit can criticize without knowing.
>>
>>389611138
This. I can understand having problems with a game itself, but if you can't beat a fucking tutorial level you need to either stop playing video games or get better.
>>
>>389631305
>unhindered by the skill of the musicians performing it.
The skill of the performer is important in the music you silly bint. It doesn't matter how well the LP is put together on paper if it's played by a 5 year old on something only resembling a xylophone and sung into a laptop microphone by somebody 10 feet away. You'd want to hear about that in a review of the album before you go and >buy it, which is the purpose of a reviewer. Music isn't reviewed from song to song at an abstract level though that is often PART of a review because that's fucking stupid. It's done at the performer and album level because that's what you can go out and listen to.

>>389631940
You wont find everything about a song by reading it's sheet music, especially for vocals where any degree of acting or emotion is involved. You can read [sadly] all fine and well but performance is graded as part of a review as well as it's what you actually listen to in the end. Do you two even listen to music any more or have you ascended to just reading it like the ascended masters you clearly are? I mean performance clearly doesn't matter, you can just imagine a better one. I'm sure you have no preference for vocal styles beyond the range of the voice. He could grade a piece of sheet music like a teacher but he could not review an album or single or what have you, which is what you'd need to be a music reviewer.
>>
File: album.jpg (23KB, 482x347px) Image search: [Google]
album.jpg
23KB, 482x347px
>>389632268
How retarded can you be mate, i never once said anything about anything even remotely relating to like the superiority of reading sheet music, in my actual opinion sheet music is for fuckin hacks who cant use their brain musically. All i did was refute your retarded point which was 'reading sheet music doesnt let you hear the all the music' which it literally does, most inflections, whether it be vocals or pedals on a piano or vibrato on a guitar are on sheet music, you know.
>>
File: 1500686005130.jpg (132KB, 1024x789px) Image search: [Google]
1500686005130.jpg
132KB, 1024x789px
GAS THE LUGENPRESSE
>>
File: 1503351906246.jpg (337KB, 1181x886px) Image search: [Google]
1503351906246.jpg
337KB, 1181x886px
FAKE JOURNALIST
FAKE GAMER
FAKE NEWS
>>
>>389632557
If you're the second guy I was mainly referring to the first guy who was giving it all that "purest form" wankery. But you're also fucking daft if you think that the performance of an album doesn't matter if you're reviewing it. Reading sheet music doesn't let you hear all the music. Beethoven wouldn't be able to tell you the difference between a song performed by one band and the exact same song from the exact same sheet performed by another, even if one was on a vastly higher skill level than the other. They're both selling their covers, one group doesn't know how to play their instruments, both receive a 10/10 by Beethoven who can't fucking hear the thing. Performance is important when you're reviewing music, it's the end result, it's what you listen to and pay for. If you're not hearing a performance you're not hearing all the music otherwise we wouldn't bother performing it or recording it. You'd just get sheet music instead.
>>
>>389623613

The difference here is that bribes to streamers only get you screen time - if your game is shit, even commentary over gameplay will show it.

As a journalist however you don't show gameplay - at most a heavily edited video. You get to show only the parts that let the game look good and shade the experience with your text.

All in all I'd rather have the streamers because even if I hate the person streaming, I can just mute the sound and watch the gameplay. I can't really see what a journalist didn't show me in the first place.
>>
File: ya what.png (172KB, 420x499px) Image search: [Google]
ya what.png
172KB, 420x499px
>>389632987
Again, none of this:
>But you're also fucking daft if you think that the performance of an album doesn't matter if you're reviewing it.
Has anything to do with me, laddo
>>
>>389632987

Wow, you get dumber with each post, don't you?

THE POINT is that Beethoven is not rating the PERFORMANCE or the GROUP or the SKILL LEVEL of any particular musician, he is able to ignore all that horseshit and cut straight to evaluating the MUSIC for what it actually is.

You see, this is called being objective. That's not easy to do when a singer fucks up a song with her grating voice, or if a stellar group makes a technically dogshit song SOUND really good with their skill. Beethoven's ability to evaluate the quality of music was far higher than anyone else's because he no longer had to consider anything but the music itself.

Maybe video game "journalists" need to look into some of this shit so they can report on the games they play with some degree of credibility.
>>
Can someone who watched the video provide a summary? All I've gathered is that someone is upset that they got called out for being awful at videogames.
>>
>>389633391

They're just milking it for clicks and views. I've dealt with VB before.
>>
>>389623098
That is not impressive. That is literally dancing but with less movement. You wouldn't even need to look at a screen for it, it's barely 'gaming'.
>>
>>389612421
This is why people should stay in their lanes if they have no intention of stepping up their game. It's like some rando trying to review shit like Citizen Kane and saying transformers is better, if you don't know your shit then your opinion is worthless
>>
>>389633391

The reporter who played this game literally got stuck at a point that 4 year old kids, primates and some of the more clever lab rats would have figured out for minutes.

Spent 20 more minutes getting rekt over and over by basic enemies, refusing to learn from his mistakes and basically failing miserably in the very first level.

Defended himself by trying to imply that the game was really hard and required skill. When called out, tried to insinuate that gamer elitism is to blame for the rage.

Basically, it's the good old double down problem of someone being unable to admit that he's just incompetent. He should have just said he was hung over or had fever or ANYTHING instead of trying to blame the world for his two black thumbs.
>>
>>389612337
who is reviewbrah and joeysworldtour?
>>
File: 1468687351146.webm (2MB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1468687351146.webm
2MB, 640x480px
>>389634505
>who is reviewbrah

/ourguy/
>>
>>389633789

That's just the surface level. What he just did is:

>double down
>get more clicks
>create more publicity for cuphead
>AND more importantly, get more topics/subjects to write about for as long as he can stoke the flames

And you bet there'll be a metric shitton of those derivative topics delivered through videos and articles like:

>"Is Cuphead really as hard as Dean says it is?" & variants
>"Our x minutes of shame in Cuphead"
>"Gamer Elitism"
>Should games be hard or w/e topic on Game Difficulty
>Should journalists be good at video games?

The list goes on.
>>
File: 14293162163216.jpg (14KB, 249x265px) Image search: [Google]
14293162163216.jpg
14KB, 249x265px
I was a games journalist for a while.
The reason most games journalists are shit at games is because they're trying to hire people with writing ability and relevant degrees and experience in editorial and publishing work.

As long as you say you like games and can name a few games going as far back as Mario 64, you have the job. Passion for video games and knowledge of the industry is secondary to relevant academic and career writing ability.

Also they have to hire women and women can't play games.
>>
>>389622552
>Bringing up The Naked Emperor out of nowhere and vague comparisons

What is the connection? Is he just trying to look cultured or well read or something?
>>
File: 1503951624731.jpg (83KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1503951624731.jpg
83KB, 1280x720px
>>389622552

all this because a self-proclaimed gaming industry expert has worse problem solving skills than a pigeon.
>>
File: 1482396743606.jpg (38KB, 480x335px) Image search: [Google]
1482396743606.jpg
38KB, 480x335px
>>389622552
>blah blah blah GAMER GATE, ALT RIGHT, ZOE QUINN
These people are fucking lost
>>
File: 1452184907758.png (1MB, 971x1232px) Image search: [Google]
1452184907758.png
1MB, 971x1232px
>>389623970
>gamergate got Trump elected

WE DID IT REDDIT
>>
File: 1504261693461.jpg (2MB, 2500x2500px) Image search: [Google]
1504261693461.jpg
2MB, 2500x2500px
>>389635285
These people are fantastic propaganda for the alt right.
>>
>>389631232
He has a history of producing reviews though. Pretty bad ones at that like the "I didn't use a core feature in a game therefore it's shit" one.
>>
File: pretendedretarded.jpg (34KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
pretendedretarded.jpg
34KB, 640x480px
>>389622708
>GamerGate
Oh no...not them!

Seriously nobody remembers gamergate and now they're the boogeymen again when it fits them
>>
>>389610990
There is a world of difference between being good and being mentally retarded.
>>
>>389613341
honestly "professional" fighting game reviews should only tell people whats inside and if the netcode works.

anything past that is too much for the reviewers and thus pointless.
that they are allowed to give those games scores is bizarre nonsense.
>>
>>389610990

>instead of just letting it go
>draw more attention to it

venturebeat ladies(males) and gents
>>
>>389623250
I don't give a shit, buffering inputs for SFV was a good idea. Too bad the game suffers from the rest of all its stupid fucking ideas.
>>
>>389635018
The Emperor's New Clothes is kindergarten reading. You don't need to make shit up to attack these people.
>>
File: 1474514053542.png (512KB, 706x471px) Image search: [Google]
1474514053542.png
512KB, 706x471px
I don't really care about games being hard or not, I'm an adult, I don't have time to partake in the /v/ culture of bitching about people not wanting to memorize shit or whatever.

But this isn't what this is about. This is about the fact that millions of people watched a mentally handicapped man fail to achieve basic problem solving.
>>
>>389635898
>But this isn't what this is about. This is about the fact that millions of people watched a mentally handicapped man fail to achieve basic problem solving.
It's not even that.
If he just posted that video and be done with it, not a huge deal
But the sheer self-defense that guy and journofags built around him is insane
>>
File: 1496284880940.jpg (82KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1496284880940.jpg
82KB, 1280x720px
>>389623970

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oT36uxL318M
>>
>>389614617
not necessarily, sometimes it makes parts of a game work well together, but other times you get things like destiny 1, where a ton of people liked the game and played it for 3 years, but the story was absolutely hot garbage, and everything was disconjointed, but fun in their own aspects
>>
File: 1410935775681.png (33KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1410935775681.png
33KB, 500x500px
>>389610990
This shit pisses me off so hard. Literally nobody was arguing that the guy needed to be some kind of amazing god at video games in order to be credible, we're saying that if you've been doing games journalism for 18 years you need to be at a skill level above a LITERAL DROOLING RETARDED INFANT in order to be credible.

Fuck, this says so much about the mental state of games journalists these days if being able to use your basic spacial faculties without the game explicitly telling you is considered "difficult."
>>
File: 1484294079797.jpg (91KB, 441x360px) Image search: [Google]
1484294079797.jpg
91KB, 441x360px
You know what all this reminds me of? This one guy who played Dark Souls and was so stupid he'd probably drown in a bowl of soup.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEWmVC3Cikc

He's too stupid to even navigate his inventory or follow basic instructions and he blames the game for those downfalls, and gets buttmad at people telling him he's stupid since he's lost too many brain cells to be aware of his own idiocy.

And the sad thing is that this guy probably has a (marginally) more legitimate point than this Takahashi retard.
>>
>>389635440

Can you link me to his reviews? Make sure to not mistake his advertorials for reviews.
Thread posts: 217
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.