[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do we need to stop playing video games for a while? Until this

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

Do we need to stop playing video games for a while? Until this cloud of micro transactions passes? So that organisations claim they cannot make a profit any more, and withdraw from the industry.

Or do we need to fight? turn the faux vitriol we feel towards eachother and point out how this shit literally plays on the mental instabilities of our fellow man, on a micro and macro level, even if you don't have a gambling problem, this system is designed to force your ape brain into expenditure.

Lootboxes are bad, microtransactions are.. take it or leave it, lootboxes, we need to fight /v/
>>
File: 1394887487722.gif (1MB, 352x200px) Image search: [Google]
1394887487722.gif
1MB, 352x200px
>b-b-but its okay when they are JUST COSMETICS
>>
>>389596663
What's a good counter to this argument? I have none really.
>>
KILL THEM ALL

SUICIDE BOMB THEIR BUILDINGS
KILL THEIR CHILDREN

NO MORE FUCKING MICROTRANSACTIONS
FUCK OFF
>>
>getting this mad about not getting a skin
>>
>>389596716
Because it's paywalling content. If the game is free to play it's acceptable but under no circumstances should a game with a pricetag have loot crates
>>
>>389596716
It might be okay for you, being able to totally not find the extra effort and uniqueness that clearly goes into the additional "freemium" content for the game, but I really don't believe you if you say you feel no envy towards the content.

And it's bullshit that you can't work towards it, it's microwager.

And it also uses scumbag mechanics to hook the vulnerable people.
>>
>>389596716
It starts the "foot in the door" strategy for companies.

>It's just cosmetics
>It's a chest with random items!
>You can get the same thing from just playing the game
>>
You're not only underestimating the amount of people on /v/, you're grossly underestimating the amount of wise people on /v/
>>
>>389596581
ok dumbass
everyone on this fucking SITE could stop playing all games for an entire YEAR and that won't dent shit like DLC, Overwatch or PubG

so no, it will NEVER stop unless games just disappear, normies will keep it going.
>>
>>389596916
The two currencies also is complete bullshit, it's either two currencies, or a meager amount of the premium currency, it's just an attempt to make monkey brain feel invested.
>>
>>389597060

>implying this board isn't full of normalfags
>>
>>389596716
its even worse than just dlc because you have to pay for the right to gamble for what you want instead of just getting what you want straight up
pay 1 buck for a skin or spend 20 bucks for a sack of boxes to get that 1 skin and a bunch of other shit you will never need
as if double dipping with dlc wasn't bad enough now you aren't even guaranteed the content
>>
>>389596716
Cosmetics are a big part of why some people play games
>>
>>389597060
The first part was rhetorical, the true call to arms of the post was the second half, we fight, we get regulation for the vulnerable, and we get our games back.
>>
>>389596716
cosmetics are just as much content as anything else. pretending its okay because they dont give players technical advantages is just sunk costs nonsense from retards with stolkholm syndrome
>>
>>389597108
not to mention with dupe items you are paying for the same content twice over, maybe even more. they can potentially shift what would have been 20 bucks worth of dlc sold normally for triple+ the price in the form of boxes if you want all of it
>>
>>389597125

COSMETICS USED TO BE FREE YOU FUCKING MONGREL

WE'RE NOT ASKING THEM TO DELETE COSMETICS OR CUSTOMIZATION FROM GAMES
>>
>>389596581

>we

I haven't been buying games with this mechanic for years now.

If you don't want it stop buying the games yourself faggot

>we
>>
>>389597385
he wasn't saying that my main man
>>
>>389597060
18 million people seems like a lot imo
>>
>>389597489
>wuz
>>
>>389596716
The end game of any multiplayer game with customizable appearances is and will always be looking fab as fuck, prove me wrong
>>
>>389596716
Because it's making people focus on developing cosmetics instead of the rest of the game.

Note that they also used to be free. Costumes in a game used to be unlockables.
>>
>>389597702

imagine if it was free and not behind a paywall, faggot
>>
>>389596581
I doubt that /v/ could organize an anti-loot crate movement so I'm just doing what I can and not buying any game with loot crates

it hasn't been that difficult so far since only trash AAA and F2P games have them anyway
>>
>>389597790
That doesn't change anything
>>
>>389598096
it changes the value proposition and my enjoyment level
>>
>>389598216
But not the endgame
>>
>>389598260

except that you get to keep your hard-earned money you fucking fuck retard
>>
>>389596581
You cant fight it. People "fought" dlc when it first came out and here we are in the future where dlc is a requirement. You have to wait it out until the next shit changes it. Moba's are finally on the out
>>
>>389598260
all of the game is the game
>>
File: 1460143763458.png (173KB, 349x446px) Image search: [Google]
1460143763458.png
173KB, 349x446px
>>389598382
Are we on the same page here? I'm saying loot boxes are inherently bad BECAUSE of the fashion end game

There's tons of other multiplayer games out there where you can trick out your character without spending a dime, and the hardcore players of these games almost ALWAYS have a very customized appearance
>>
>>389597385
M8 why are you directing that at me
>>
Honestly, if you want micro transactions to stop, games are gonna have to go up in price.
>>
>>389596873
So if overwatch is free then this is okay?
>>
>>389599336
or maybe games should stop spending 2/3rds of their exorbitant budgets on marketing
>>
>>389599372
yes
I would not be surprised if 6 or 7 years from now the game goes f2p or gets some kind of "starter" edition like with WoW and SC2
>>
>>389596581
yes that business practice should be boycott but good luck getting people to do it
>>
>>389599453
>or maybe games should stop spending 2/3rds of their exorbitant budgets on marketing
>Haha, good joke Johnson. You're fucking fired.
I wish, but companies got to get the normies in on the action nowadays.
>>
>>389599536
I mean, you can get people to boycott, but it only works for games, i.e Sarcastic Gamers' boycott of Bad Company's on-disc dlc. Little victories, but it's gotta stat somewhere.
>>
>>389596716
The only arguments you can make are an absolute stretch.
>>
>>389596716
the "slippery slope" of gameplay affecting loot boxes is literally already happening with Battlefront 2
>>
>>389599797

Blame the explosion in business majors. Fucking kids go to college, take up marketing because it's basically just applied art history, then they tell businesses that financial chicken is the only way to sell their product/service.

And unless a bunch of big companies simultaneously pull back, nobody is going to be the first.
>>
>>389600389
so what you're saying is we need to pull a China
>>
>>389596716
It's easier to make cosmetics than it is to make games. Companies now make one game and then just milk it with cosmetics instead of making many many games like they use to.
>>
File: 1503596797026.gif (2MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1503596797026.gif
2MB, 320x180px
>>389596663
>"dude, it's 'pay to skip grind', some people just have less time to play."
>>
File: DE4wLyjVwAA3bk8.jpg (78KB, 1200x681px) Image search: [Google]
DE4wLyjVwAA3bk8.jpg
78KB, 1200x681px
>>389596716
It creates a business model where companies can can get away with adding virtually zero content to the game. They don't have to make real expansions if dumb costumes and skins make way more. Yeah cosmetic items may not subtract from the experience, but it will encourage the developers to make that instead of other kinds on content since they're low risk high reward.
>>
>>389599336
they already have.
>>
I don't mind microtransactions. I hate gacha shit. Lootboxes are one of the worst trends of the decade.
>>
>>389596716

Well cosmetic items are the most sought after forms of expressing wealth in video games whether they're tradable or not
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.