[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Dark Souls THAT hard? i have never played one of those games,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 157
Thread images: 15

File: 9D3flkIiExc.jpg (179KB, 1003x1080px) Image search: [Google]
9D3flkIiExc.jpg
179KB, 1003x1080px
Is Dark Souls THAT hard? i have never played one of those games, and I am amazed they are cited as some kind of difficulty standard

are they really hard? just normie hard?
>>
>>389584864
just normie hard, anyone with a bit of patience will make it through the game with very little difficulty.
>>
It's not too hard, but it's unforgiving and kinda hard to learn
>>
It might fuck you up once you first start playing, but once you get the hang of, it it's not any more difficult than any other game
>>
Difficulty is subjective.

More like, it is a game where you have to always be on your toes and able to utilize your options accurately. At least until you start mastering it.
>>
>>389584864
Depends, but primarily they're just not "easy" like a lot of games. So yeah, normie hard.
>>
>>389584946
nice to know
i find something like a bullet hell game harder than anything i have ever played, and dark souls look like a dodge and roll, potion kind of deal
>>
>>389584864
not hard, they just require patience and if you fuck up you will actually die which is a rarity in an era of games where you can play like a dipshit and still progress
>>
>>389585139
Dark souls is a lot of fun though, if you like action fantasy style games you'll have a difficult time finding better
>>
>>389584864
Normie hard, not Kaizo or IWTBTG level.

People just say it's hard because on a normal playthrough you would likely die at least once in every area of the game
>>
>>389584946
Pretty much this. People only call it hard because its unforgiving if you play like a dumbfugg, and most 'gamers' are used to fast paced-no punishment games like Halo and shit.
>>
>>389584864
the way the straw's line goes straight into the line of the eye bothers me
>>
It's a patience game and there is a lot of broken shit that makes you OP
>>
>>389584864
Yes/No
It would be incredibly hard if it didn't have a really lenient continue system.

I'd say very nearly every game where death also really means game over is harder.
>>
It's hard but not hard enough to actually repel normies, so they stick around and think it's the hardest game ever because it's the only game that they actually bothered to play, and it gets easier as you progress too.
Normie hard.
>>
the hardest part is figuring out where to go next
>>
>>389584864
I have never seen a thread where the answers were that unanimous
>>
I'm fairly sure that not many people even talked about those games until that shitty port of dark souls came to pc. Might be totally wrong but after that it became the hardest game ever or something. Years after.
>>
>>389584864
Normie hard in that if you have any semblance of patience or drive to explore and enjoy the game they are all complteley doable.
>>
>>389584864
They're hard if you were born after 2000 and have never actually played hard video games.
>>
>>389584864
something is wrong with his legs
>>
>>389584864
They're very tedious and require you to do tedious things to "git good". Reminds me of older survival horror games in that aspect. They're not hard games, they just require you to be fully engaged in the game's mechanics if you want to make any kind of progress. I'm not saying that's a bad thing by the way.
>>
>>389584864
Normie hard for the most part. Also extremely fun, you should really try DS sometime.
>>
People use Dark Souls difficult as a standard because it's very difficult, but fair. There is basically no RNG element to winning a fight, and there are very few traps that just fuck you over with no warning.

>>389585324
Kaizo and IWTBTG, on the other hand, are the kind of crap "difficulty" that people hate and want to avoid. Invisible blocks that fuck you over unpredictably, a "lol gotcha! tricked ya!" death trap every 3 seconds, and situations where you needed to predict what you would have to do in 30 seconds into the future or you screw yourself over and can not win (oh you didn't throw that shell so you can bounce off of it when it hit the wall that's offscreen right now? time to reload your save state!)

Granted Dark Souls 1 had like 3 places in the game where it just bumfucks you with surprise (mimic, bed of chaos, possibly Capra Demon) but for the most part it was fair
>>
>>389584864
Dark Souls is hard because of the huge amount of exploration you need to do and knowledge you need to accrue. The game gets 10x easier (and imo 10x funner) with a map and a few video guides.

The combat has a bit of a learning curve, but you pick up the rhythm pretty quickly if you've played Monster Hunter and then it's all uphill.

Also Curse is pure bullshit and COMPLETELY turned me off of the game first time I played.
>>
>>389584864
It's just a normal RPG. You can make it trivially easy if you actually play it properly. Most people don't realize to upgrade their weapon and grind a little in every zone. They also don't know how to pick the right stats to level up.
>>
>>389584864
it's not that hard if you take your time and explore and is cautious
>>
>>389584864
Normie hard. The problem is that people panic too much when they take just a little bit of damage. In other video games, when you have to use healing items, either you don't take damage very quickly which gives you plenty of time to use a healing potion ingame, or you take damage very quickly, but you're able to use a healing potion from the pause menu. In Dark Souls, it's kind of in the middle, where you take average damage, but you also don't have a lot of time to heal and you can't pause the game to heal. If you don't panic and notice the moments where you can heal, then the games become non-issues.
>>
>>389584864
it's only hard compared to other narrative games (not simulation, online, or score-based games).
>>
File: 1502315807186.jpg (51KB, 602x428px) Image search: [Google]
1502315807186.jpg
51KB, 602x428px
>>389590140
>that moment when you have less than a second to decide between healing or attacking
>>
File: Ohshi.jpg (17KB, 200x181px) Image search: [Google]
Ohshi.jpg
17KB, 200x181px
>>389584864

I played Quake 1 and Quake 2 on nightmare mode this Summer and Unreal on Godlike (modified Unreal difficulty only) and beat them but I didn't see them as that hard.

So with a game like Dark Souls, I don't find really difficult at all. As everyone has said, it's normie hard.
>>
>>389584864
Honestly Dark Souls is just a standard western RPG on rails with decent combat mechanics.

It's main difficulty is that at any random time some other lv99 player on the internet can spawn in your world and gank you, to which you can literally just play offline to avoid.
>>
>>389584946
This, the game punishes you for going berserk if you are new wich bothers casuaks used to magnetic weapons that never fail and press x in the next 6 seconds for a free parry.
>>
People who think it's hard are comparing it to basic bitch combat ARPGs. People who think it's easy are comparing it to beatemups. It's somewhere in between imo.
>>
>>389584864
You will die a lot more than the vast majority of games, but they're not so challenging that they ever feel impossible. There's a pretty steep learning curve, but after that they're just a challenge, not necessarily hard.
>>
>>389584864
> You take lots of damage
> Enemies take very little damage

There you go....hard.
>>
>>389584864
It's over rated
>>
>>389584864
>are they really hard?
I wouldn't call them overall "hard". There are a few examples I can call a little cheap, some mostly if a boss decides to spam a single attack over and over that can particularly fuck over the player if he's unlucky, and others with enemy placement meant to be extra annoying or just difficult for the difficulty's sake, those mostly find themselves in Dark Souls 2.

But honestly, a little bit of patience and none of the games are truly any ball breakers. There might be a few bosses you could get stuck on until you figure out what works, but when you do they shouldn't really give you any trouble again save for some ones that were just meant to be a real challenge like Nameless King. As people said, the games are just kind of unforgiving to people who just play like dipshits who think they know better than the game itself, but if you know what you can and can't do, there's not much in the game that will stop you from progressing.
>>
>>389584864
Depends on which souls game you're talking about. Dark Souls 1 and Demon's Souls are actually pretty easy once you get the mechanics down since most bosses and enemies have predictable movements. Dark Souls 2 and especially 3 have much more aggressive and difficult enemies.
>>
>>389584864
imagine a game with "very hard" is the only difficulty available
>>
Normie hard. You'll die a few times and kick yourself for falling for a trap you've seen before, but it's really not that bad
>>
>>389591354
>Enemies take very little damage
Thats false.
>>
They're pretty hard for being mainstream. I think the only such game I've ever played that I had more trouble with was Viewtiful Joe.
>>
>>389591646
Not Dark Souls then because that game has an easy mode: Summoning help.
>>
Not particularly. A bit of patience with it goes a long way.
>>
File: 1499536766596.webm (3MB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
1499536766596.webm
3MB, 768x432px
Normie hard, only the DLC bosses and a few optional bosses even get really hard.
>>
>>389591481
>tfw you agreed with the DARK SOULS IS HARD meme because you picked the key starter and found yourself in Blighttown by accident in the beginning of the game, trying to use the spellcasting class.
>2nd playthrough as a 2H user going the normal progression route was so easy you got bored and stopped.
>>
There are a million games harder and more autistic than DaS, but it hits that sweet spot where the game memes on you and you still feel like trying again. Also it made exploring levels an absolute joy.
>>
>>389584864
Normie hard, no maps, no objective markers, no handholding, if you die you go back a few minutes instead of 5 seconds. Very arcady.

If you played any ps1 or ps2 game where you can actually die and lose progress, it will be pretty normal.
>>
>>389592006
It's not false for most new players who don't realize how important it is to upgrade your weapon.

If I had known that upgrading my weapon a few levels for a measly +20 damage would end up doubling my damage output, things would have gone way smoother in my first playthrough.
>>
>>389584864
You have to learn the enemies' movesets and can't run in blindly, and the game actually punishes mistakes. Bosses can get hard, but for the most part it just expects you to not be a fuckin retard
So of course normies think it's hard
>>
The first game you play in the series will probably be pretty hard to you but thats mostly due to a lack of understanding of how mechanics work. I remember I struggled with Dark Souls 1 on my first play through but every playthrough after and all of the sequels felt alot easier to me because you generally speaking know what to do.
>>
>>389592076
Or magic in DS 1 and 2
Or bleed builds in Ds3
>>
>>389588735
>and there are very few traps that just fuck you over with no warning.

except the bridge after taurus demon, the elevator in sen's, mimics, the floor in the asylum revisit, bed of chaos, the basilisk pit in the depths, kalameet, seath's first encounter...
>>
>>389590853
>berserk
the irony here I'd this entire game is a berserk Manga simulator
>>
>>389592376
Besides weapon upgrades, weapon variety, specially in DS2 and 1.
Using a sword against a heavy armored golem / knight will do shit damage, while a hammer will melt them.
People who have trouble with DS literally never played a RPG before.
>>
Dark Souls is "hard" because you have such a small HP pool, and it doesn't forgive mistakes. If you let an enemy hit you, you lose between 1/3rd and 100% of your health.

Gamers today are used to massive HP pools, where you can get shot dozens of times before you need to worry.

If Dark Souls is considered hard, then so is the original Mario because you can only get hit twice before you die.
>>
File: 1495835479230.webm (722KB, 576x432px) Image search: [Google]
1495835479230.webm
722KB, 576x432px
>>389592376
>mfw I had on +3 on every armor piece and a +1 claymore as I fatrolled and died 20 times the Gargoyles before finally deciding to upgrade the weapon to +5 and then I won in 3 tries
>>
>>389592479
>the elevator in sen's
Im specially proud of not falling for that one. I noticed the blood stains (not only of dying players, but real blood marks in the textures) in the platform and was ready for anything,
>>
>>389585324
IWBTG is legitimately artificial difficulty, and Souls rarely is
artificial difficulty is throwing things at you can't possible expect. Basically, if you can beat the game on your first run without any luck and just skill, then it's not artificial difficulty.
Souls usually have some elements in each game which qualify, like the first Seath fight, or the damage from falling into Nito's lair, but on the whole they're fair
>>
>>389585043
>it is a game where you have to always be on your toes

Nah.
>>
>>389592605
>If Dark Souls is considered hard, then so is the original Mario because you can only get hit twice before you die.
The original mario is much harder than darksouls.
>>
Dark souls is the cuphead of mario games
>>
>>389592324
Name a million games that are harder than Dark Souls. No "XYZ on legendary ultra iron man difficulty".
>>
>>389584864
>>389584946
>>389585139
Complete bullshit, only people that have already played the game a hundred times will have an easy time
>>
>>389584864
its not hard
just repetitive mainly due garbage controls
>>
>>389588735
>People use Dark Souls difficult as a standard because it's very difficult, but fair.

Stop baiting. It's not difficult nor fair. To this day there hasn't been a single video of someone beating a significant boss without cheesing.
>>
>>389592479
>bridge after taurus demon

even at level 1 completely naked, the first dragon breath can't kill you. Only once he's perched on the castle his breath attack gets strong enough to potentially 1 shot kill you, but by then you can literally see him.
>elevator in sens
it's covered in massive blood stains and you see the chain do a weird upward jerk after it stops for the top floor. That's a subtle trap but the warnings are there.
>basilisk pit
You can see the massive gaping holes in the floor. It's not like they're hard to see or covered.
>kalameet, seath
Those are just scripted deaths, a common JRPG trope. They're plot devices rather than actually part of the core gameplay mechanics like the tricks are in IWBTG

the other ones are valid problems, though. The fact that there are so few "gotcha" moments in a game known for being "difficult" is rare and a very good sign, though
>>
>>389592376
>It's not false for most new players who don't realize how important it is to upgrade your weapon.
Why should I consider people who don't know how to play the game? Thats what companies do for play testing and see where that got us.
>>
File: luffy zoro.png (615KB, 629x433px) Image search: [Google]
luffy zoro.png
615KB, 629x433px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=848Y1Uu5Htk&
>>
File: 1497501224913.png (120KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1497501224913.png
120KB, 500x375px
>>389592630
>didn't go over the wooden bridge around the right side because I thought it was an obvious trap
>didn't realise that there was a bonfire right there and the blacksmith until after beating the gargoyles
>>
>>389592376
I guess you could say that you start out dead because retards won't think to run away from the Asylum Demon at the start.
>>
>>389592605
That's not even that true, with decent armor you can survive 10-12 hits from smaller enemies, 5-6 from a medium Knight enemy and between 1-3 for a boss.
Poise matters more however because not being stunlocked by every small hit can just mean you can chug through mistakes and trade with the enemy as you stunlock him but he only gets 1 hit on you.

I've seen complete clueless gaming noobs roll the first areas while starting as a Knight (dat poise) and decent players (in other games) get destroyed as a Warrior because he starts with only a little bit of poise on his helmet and zero poise on the leather armor.
>>
>>389584864
decently challenging, mostly just unforgiving.

they're worth giving a try, dark souls 1 is like 5 dollars
>>
File: 1504735469783.jpg (104KB, 803x688px) Image search: [Google]
1504735469783.jpg
104KB, 803x688px
>>389585043
>You always have to be on your toes
kek, you cannot react to a collapsing floor or a chest deciding to kill you halfway through the game.

the game's tricks are trial and error, pure and simple.
>>
>>389592479
I guess every area in the game counts because a retard (you) will walk off a cliff not realizing it's a drop.
>>
>>389592909
Do you consider dodging attacks and then attacking with your weapon "cheesing"? because that's literally the core gameplay and how most people beat all the bosses
>>
>>389592282
these games need more fist weapons
they're always the coolest
>>
>>389593145
Mimics don't kill you if you're at full health, unless you're SL1.
Also you can react to the mimic grab by mashing the bumpers to negate ~30% of the damage.
>>
File: 1368343487700.jpg (306KB, 636x900px) Image search: [Google]
1368343487700.jpg
306KB, 636x900px
It's more that Dark Souls requires basic forethought, pattern recognition, and actually punishes you for fuckups. It came out in like 2012, after games had already taken a heavy trend towards generally being very easy and hand-holding, so something with a semblance of challenge was a breath of fresh air. And then memes set in and it got the reputation among normies as THE HARDEST GAME EVER MADE, ECKS DEE.
Dark Souls is a good game, but if you want extreme difficulty you should find something that really pushes reflexes and understanding attack patterns. I'd suggest Ninja Gaiden, personally.
>>
>>389592869
There is a "I never died once" easy time and "I still can make constant progress" easy time. Dying a couple times is expected in DS, it doenst make it the hardest thing ever, because you arent stuck.
Some games such as RTS campaings expect you to fail a couple times, but they arent considered super duper hard, just expect you to git gud. Or stuff like Monster hunter. You will die a lot, fail a lot, but still making progress and becoming stronger no matter what.
>>
>>389593145
>trial and error
Reminder that the people who use this fallacy do it because they lack the brains to realize what they should do and brute force their way through verything instead.
>>
>>389584864
Did Dark Souls invent difficulty /v/?

Only 18 here so I don't know :^)
>>
>>389593190
Depends no how you are attacking, and what weapon you are using. If you are using clipping errors to your advantage or have a +5 OP sword then fuck off. Unfortunately there are no videos where people aren't doing this.
>>
>>389593264
Sadly Dark Souls 2 was the only game in the Dark Souls series that had fist weapons that aren't absolute horseshit garbage

The closest we get is in DS3 you can defeat somebody who's completely retarded by using the poise weapon art and then just pressing L1 over and over for 10 minutes and hope they don't know what rolling is
>>
>>389593145
The thing is fucking moving and breathing, and there is a shit ton of blood stains around it in an empty room.
Just open your eyes.
>>
>>389593330
>THE HARDEST GAME EVER MADE, ECKS DEE.
That was marketing shaping public opinion, remember that publicity needs to be as simple as posible to reach as much people as possible, therefore they choose the difficulty as the main selling point not because it was the most important trait of the product but because it was simple.
>>
>>389593036
Same, after the graveyard bit I thought
>Well this obviously leads to a new area with more powerful enemies no point going down there right now
>>
>>389584946
I have no patience but i don't find the game "difficult" at all, just a retarded waste of my wasteful time. This dark souls meme have to reach it's peak and die.
>>
>>389592376
That's the only thing that makes Dark Souls a difficult game though, the fact it doesn't explain much. Once I figured out weapon and armour upgrades the game wasn't that difficult. Most of my deaths came from falling off ledges due to misjudging my spacing or being knocked off. The only boss that really gave me any trouble was Ornstein and Smough.
>>
>>389593469
https://youtu.be/5dFMvPXQ3-I
and that's only one of dozens of videos of people beating bosses with nothing. Let alone without +5 meta weapons.

I hope you were just shitposting because it's pretty pathetic if you had to convince your self that nobody could beat these bosses legitimately when video evidence of it has existed for years.
>>
It reminds me of the old logic of 4chan (haha i'm so cool aren't I)

It was
"yooo isnt 4chan that terrorist hacker place that hosts child porn"
>actually goes on it
"t-this is porn I could see anywhere, and the people aren't even that big of assholes"

with dark souls I feel like it's
"whoa all these memes and webcomics make dark souls look like an untouchable challenge that even ADVANCED GAYMURS struggle in"
>actually plays it
"oh, i just have to roll and not get my teeth kicked in after I go for too many attacks at once, okay"
>>
>>389593145
You're right. That's where critical thinking kicks in which anyone who isn't an underage retard should have acquired.
>>
File: 71782030[1].jpg (9KB, 368x158px) Image search: [Google]
71782030[1].jpg
9KB, 368x158px
>>389593469
>upgrading your weapon is "cheesing"
>>
>>389593069
I watched my brother play DaS and after a rocky start it went a lot better than I expected. Once he started going Havel he just ended up bruteforcing and estusing his way through the rest of the game with relative ease. You can also shield yourself through most of it without too much difficulty.

In DaS2 on the other hand both those strategies were significantly nerfed, making precise rolling/timing much more necessary. I went completely naked on several bosses like Fume Knight because the armor just didn't matter.
>>
>>389593719
>Someone pyro spamming Artorias

Are you fucking shitting me? Are you trying to prove my point?
>>
>>389592282
>>389593264
Anybody got some dark souls 2 bone fist webms?
>>
>>389593854
yes farming is cheesing on a game where you can outlevel content easily. This is why you will always be terrible at competitive games.
>>
>>389593516
Are you talking about the bone fists? They werent particularly good, but really fucking entertaining and cool to use.
>>
>>389593783
Even if you don't roll or dodge and you die 300 times the fact is that the Souls games have no punishment for death. You have infinite lives, you have no game overs, you always have a checkpoint within ~5 minutes of where you died, and it's even more forgiving than almost any other game in that you can recover everything you lost when dying thus making that death irrelevant because you've still gained progress from it.
>>
>>389593891
Armor can matter especially vs elemental shit like Fume's fire magic and 2nd form sword. You can survive 1, maybe 2 extra hits with decent upgraded armor.
Idea is to balance it out, not go for 69.99% weight, go for 40-50%.
>>
They are only hard if you don't know what you're doing.
>>
>>389594038
>spamming
>three spells over five minutes
>all three were buffs and dealt no direct damage
I'll play along. Come up with a shit post for
https://youtu.be/w1ae-q2_FNQ
and
https://youtu.be/EU9vob0c_Uc
>>
>>389593145
The floor collapsing in the asylum is bullshit, but at least its cool.
For the mimic, Its at an angle in the middle of the room, and no other chest in the game is like that, its surrounded by in game bloodstains, the room itself is decorated in blood, and its in an area crawling with traps
now bed of chaos and the mimic introductions in the other games are more bullshit
>>
>>389594182
>Are you talking about the bone fists?
No, I didn't care for those. They looked cool but the hitboxes sucked.

The real fist build is:
Vanquisher's Seal
Flynn's Ring
Ring of Blades +2
and whatever for the last ring slot

Then put a bunch of stats into Str
You can power stance your fists with the Vanquisher's Seal and the damage is pretty good, like 420 damage per punch at 40 str and 0 dex, and of course the attack speed is fast since it's fists. It also has a really good moveset, lots of variety/ranges/speed/combos
>>
>>389584864
No there is a short learning curve for every first Souls campaign though but it goes away fast and then you understand them all and how to approach most obstacles
>>
>>389584864
>first crash
>now cup
gaming journalism is dying
KEEP GOING
>>
>>389594214
Mostly true but not exactly, consumables that you used before dying are not replaced (except estus).
And you lose your human form if you had it (needed for summoning help or getting invaded).
Plus in DS2 you lose 5% of your max HP each death till you reach 50% max HP and you need to use en effigy to fix it (or get summoned to help another dude).
Same with DS3 except embers give you 30% "bonus health" when embered and you only lose that on death.
>>
*runs at you without armor or weapons*
>>
>>389594575
>gaming journalism is dying
we've heard that how many times before?
>>
File: 1501704115303.gif (3MB, 480x208px) Image search: [Google]
1501704115303.gif
3MB, 480x208px
>>389594575
>gaming journalism is dying
>>
>>389594542
>the hitboxes sucked
they were a bit too small so you could miss some bosses a bit too easily, but in general the bone fist has one of the r1's in the game. it basically cannot bounce off of walls, it hits crystal lizards and high up enemys easily, and its nice and fast
>>
>>389594717
Look at all the (((clickbait))), their numbers are in the dumps. Youtube reviewers that are actual gamers on the rise.
>>
>>389594640
DS1: somewhat concerning, he probably has some meme plan
DS2: Very concerning, probably a skilled player with some devilish fist build or he's going to parry and pull a greatclub out of his ass
DS3: Free kill or a hacker. probably a hacker
>>
>>389584864
Dark Souls isn't that hard since everything is supposed to be programmed in a way that you always have a chance. If you get hit, it's your fault. I wouldn't say Dark Souls is hard as it is demanding. You have to do what the game wants you to do in order to succeed.
>>
It's only hard if you give up very easily and have zero initiative or zero resolve.

The only hard part of Dark Souls 1 is getting through the later half of the game, which is a complete and total unfun slog.
>>
>>389594764
I meant for PvP. Any weapon is useable for PvE in dark souls 2. The weapon balance was great. I just didn't like it for PvP because the wonky hitboxes would miss players a lot.

It's a good offhand weapon to do a sudden surprise flying jump kick, though
>>
File: 1434018557171.jpg (27KB, 500x479px) Image search: [Google]
1434018557171.jpg
27KB, 500x479px
>>389594863
>I am interested in a game
>go to steam community section
>broadcasts
>click on the first one, and full screen
>1080p commentary and ad free gameplay of a real player
>ask some questions in the chat
>people answer them, and they are friendly as fuck for you to be there
>say good bye
>delete the game from my wishlist
>repeat
>>
>>389594957
there's a noticeable difficulty spike when you reach Anor Londo, and the "slog" part doesn't start until after you beat that zone
>>
>>389584864
Dark Souls isn't difficult because slow walking and absorbing the atmosphere removes all difficulty besides clicking your circle button at the right time.
>>
DSP can get through those games, with help, but mechanically he has done it on his own.

They are not impossible. It's trial and error for a long while.
>>
File: 1500648943365.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1500648943365.webm
3MB, 640x360px
Once you figure out enemy movesets, you'll realize they have tons of blind spots and you don't even need to roll for a lot of them.
>>
>>389595068

Yes, after anal rodeo, DaS1 is a gigantic unfun slog.

Anal Rodeo isn't hard, it just forces you to slow down even further after clearing Sens. The knights can fuck you up if you aren't super cautious.

After just finishing up Sens where enemies usually die in 1 to 3 hits, all the assholes on anal rodeo take more hits generally when you get there on your first runthrough, and they hit a bit harder.

You just have to be more careful in that place honestly.
>>
>>389594542
>Vanquisher's Seal
I forgot that item existed.
Its ok, i guess.
>>
>>389584864
I find Binding of Isaac to be the hardest game I've ever played.
>>
>>389595908
>keep reseting till you get one of the game ending upgrades
>Otherwise its practically impossible to kill some bosses because their hp pool is so large it would take 10 minutes to kill it.
Its terribly balanced.
>>
>>389584864
The "hard" aspect is largely overblown by fan communities, and like with most fan communities with any popular game, they tend to ruin everything.

The game is just unforgiving, but everything is fair. You just have to be patient and learn. It's got nothing on 80's/early 90's video game difficulty with some games (which would in a lot of cases simply be unfair/poor designed, in a way that makes them incredibly hard)
>>
>>389584864
Nothing wrong with the games but they're basically babby's first "hard" game, and the memes associated to the alleged difficulty of the game just serve as a brutal reminder that video games are dead.
>>
>>389584864
I always wanted to start a thread asking this same question, never played these games and always wondered if they were hard
>>
>>389596273
You literally can't get a good run on Binding of Isaac until you get damage upgrades. Range, tears, speed, health, luck, shot speed, etc. are all pointless in comparison. Maybe speed is okay so I can dodge 50+ projectiles that fly at me every second once I enter a room.
>>
>>389584946

Yeah, this. It was hard at first, but once I got used to it, it wasn't that bad. Dark Souls actually feels like the easiest souls game. Bloodborn kicked my ass in the later stages of the game though.
>>
>>389590609
>some other lv99 player on the internet can spawn in your world and gank you
No they can't. Did you even play the game, or are you just posting based on vague tidbits you've heard of on /v/?
>>
Is cuphead the Dark Souls of racing games?
>>
>>389596619
If you're used to playing indie shitters with difficulty gimmicks, obscure Japanese masochist simulators or insane difficulty levels or challenges then no, but I can't think of many normie games that are harder on standard difficulty than DaS series.
>>
>>389593145

The first mimic in the game is the only one that I might grant you; although there are subtle clues.

After that point you just need to every chest a test whack before opening it.
>>
dying in a videogame a couple of times is considered "literally unbeatable" by todays standards
>>
File: 1494022710642.jpg (49KB, 665x574px) Image search: [Google]
1494022710642.jpg
49KB, 665x574px
I remember my first time playing Dark Souls because it was the first game to make me realize that I was a huge fucking dumbass when it came to playing videogames in general after about the tenth or so time I got ganked by the group of undead Soldiers after you get past the firebomb bridge during the first area of the game after the tutorial. After that it realizing that I SHOULD be patient and actually lure enemies out one at a time to have an easier go at it. Then I got my shit kicked in by the fucking Drake on the second bridge like 5 times before I realized that there was an area under the fucking bridge that you could run to in order to get past it. Honestly remembering how I initially played Dark Souls makes me feel sort of bad because I used to be the biggest dumbass and its embarrassing to think of, especially since I played fucking Demon's Souls beforehand so I honestly should have seen half the shit the game threw at me coming. Fuck.

Well, most of the game becomes a cakewalk if you take your time, observe your surroundings, and actually manage your sippies conservatively.
Fucking the fucking crabs during the second fight with Seath though. Most bullshit enemy in the entire god damn game. The fact that they're the ONLY fucking enemy class that can attack you when you go through the damn fog gate is utter bullshit GOD FUCKING DAMN IT FUCK THE FUCKING CRABS
>>
>>389584946
This its a game that rewards patience, observation, and problem solving. These are skills that most games don't really care about (i.e. Naughty Dog games and their obsession with the color yellow) We've just got normies used to a lot of modern handholding techniques that made it easier for (((journalists))) and normies to be "immersed" in the story
>>
>>389584946
This, ontop of the game giving you alot of room to heal and you level up pretty fast in these games.
>>
it's not hard it's just punishes you more harshly for not paying attention and not being cautious, and the pvp combat is barebones min maxing
>>
>>389598790
You mean the clams? Just kill them before you enter the boss room anon. They agro like 1-2 at a time, it's really not hard. If they catch you off guard though they do a ton of damage.
>>
>>389598074
Well I have been playing games since the atari era and stopped playing games 15 years ago, just started recently to look at new stuff
>>
>>389594124
>on a game where you can outlevel content easily
so, you never actually played the game anon. Go be a camper at any of your "competitive games" and stop embarsing yourself here.
>>
I'm terrible at Dark Souls and get frustrated very easily with it. After a few deaths in the same place, I just say "Fuck it, I don't care anyway" and leave the game for 6 months and then restart it from the beginning, and the cycle goes on. The furthest I've made it before giving up is the bonfire just past the metal warthog. Playing the game feels like playing a horror game on hard difficulty: killing enemies and getting through sections isn't hard as long as you find a way of making sure nothing touches you, but then you get completely fucked if they do, which makes me hate the game and not want to play it anymore.
>>
>>389600963
You need poise and learning when to block and when to attack.
>>
>>389600963
I did that once, didn't even make it out of the undead burg, then gave up. Waited like four years then tried once more, pretty much the same thing as previously, and was like 5 minutes from giving up again when I found a halberd. Grinded some to be able to use it, managed to get to the blacksmith and do weapon upgrades, and that was sort of getting over the hump for me, after that I felt like I could actually play the game instead of just suffer through it.

Really glad I stuck with it though. I've now finished all three games and Demon's Souls solo and love them, some fantastic designs and bosses and worlds and atmospheres. Even considered getting a PS4 just for Bloodborne.

If you're bad at games like I am, I recommend getting a good long-distance weapon, preferably one that you can easily break enemy poise and stunlock them. Halberd is good, or you can try to do a suicide run to get the zweihander in the graveyard.
>>
>>389584864
It's only difficult because the controls are shit.
>>
These games were somewhat difficult back when Demon's Souls and Dark Souls were the only things out. Now many people have properly adapted to how to play these games from three more Souls games being released along with copycats, making it much easier for a lot of people
>>
>>389584864
It's not hard, what it is is repetitive, and so trial and error that you end up thinking it's hard
>>
>>389584864
No. I bought it Tuesday and finished it that Friday during a normal work week.

Just strategize. You're not gonna run up on two or three enemies with swords and Spears and button mash and come out on top like Dynasty Warriors.

I wouldn't say it was harder than Ninja Gaiden Sigma or Devil May Cry 3.
>>
>>389584864
It's not hard just obtuse
>>
>>389584864
Pure artificial difficulty. Mainly in 1, you are massively underleveled in the beggining, your weapons are shit with garbage slow moves and don't do damage for shit, enemies take a huge chunk of your life, and neither defensive mechanics nor stats are explained right away, so you'll waste a big fucking load of time just figuring how to survive.

However, after you get a hold of the controls, mechanics, and understand the combat is more or less turn based, the game becomes a breeze, only to stop progression from more bullshit environmental hazards like beams with a shitload of enemies and such.
>>
>>389584946
Soo, just like Dark Souls?
>>
>>389604501
>Just strategize
It's literally corridors with enemies blocking your path, what is there to strategize?

The thing is that combat in this game at first looks like an action game, the mechanics are counterintuitive, and just some time later you figure you must block, attack, block, attack, block, or replace block with dodge.
>>
>>389584946
Yes. If you played through one of the games at least once, they won't be bad.

Honestly the only difficult part of the game is not knowing where to go and what you can avoid.
>>
>>389584864
how can this thread still be going
>>
>>389605589
>two hand a sword
>can one hit or two hit most units in the Burg
wow dude so underpowered
Thread posts: 157
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.