[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>buy 2,000$ MSI laptop >hardware issues 7 months into usage

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 5

File: 4444166.jpg (43KB, 600x430px) Image search: [Google]
4444166.jpg
43KB, 600x430px
>buy 2,000$ MSI laptop
>hardware issues 7 months into usage (CPU fan sounds like its an electric razor running out of battery & sending tremors across the laptop and running at nearly half-speed)
So it's true.
Share stories, laptopbros, is Asus really better?

Also;
>play any AAA title from 2015-2016
>CPU/GPU temps hit 95c while fans are on turbo-boost
>>
Should've went with Aorus
>>
>>389543712
get one of those cooling pads
>>
>>389543712
Get it repaired under warranty
>>
>>389543712
>buys a gayming laptop
>regrets it but doesn't realize the actual root of the problem and instead blames the brand for inherent laptop issues like unreplaceable hardware and overheating
how fucking dumb are you holy shit
>>
>>389543712
>Playing games on a 'laptop'

wtf are you doing
>>
>>389543996
Cooling fans in a laptop are most certainly repairable and replaceable
>>
>>389543916
Yeah I should.
>>389543980
I will, it will take 20 days so there's that
>>389543996
I know, no need to act like a complete fucktard. Someone who would invest this much into gaming would be easily aware of basic stuff, so your statement is ironic
>>389544001
Reasons
>>
>>389544116
>so your statement is ironic
Wtf does this even mean?
>>
>>389543712
Wow, it's almost as if cramming parts that tend to overheat when stressed and should need a lot of space and cooling is a bad idea!
>>
File: 3452.png (128KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
3452.png
128KB, 480x480px
>"""""""Gaming"""""""" laptops
>>
>>389543712
>buying something
>expecting it to be flawless
>expecting it to last a few years
>not getting scammed
Retailer/manufacturer simulator when.
>>
>>389543712
On mine (GT725, about $1300) the hard drive failed less than a year in. Aside from that, it was rather big to be whipping out at college, especially when I spent a lot of lectures browsing the web. If I could go back to 2009, I would've got a cheaper laptop and built a desktop for gaming later. I didn't have hardware issues like yours, but I did find myself struggling once I got to late last-gen titles.
>>
>Gaming laptops
So how many fucking times do we need to have this exact same fucking thread before people understand that they're shit? Literally the only reason I can think of for getting a gaming laptop is if you're traveling every day or two for work and have lots of free time while traveling
>>
>>389544401
Isn't HDD failure a hardware issue?
>>
>>389544478
Yes. I phrased that poorly - I didn't have OP's specific hardware issue with the CPU being loud and slower than expected.
>>389544469
If you aren't into modern AAA titles, a mid-range gaming laptop is pretty good. I use mine quite a bit and so far, the only game that's ran too poorly for me is Dark Souls 3. I used to have a desktop with more power, but it was stolen and I didn't feel like building a new one.
>>
>MSI in charge of making fans
>>
>buy HP laptop
>battery wont charge 2 days into usage
Wow. Its so new the store just replaced it with another one
>>
>>389543712
Got experience with both MSI and Asus
>8 years old MSI 4 years running every day for 12 hours.
>4 years old Asus 4 years running every day for 12 hours.
MSI one works fine to this day for casual use of my father when he travels.
Asus one still works, but I had to change fans a year ago, network card stopped working randomly, have to use wi-fi, battery is gone, doesnt even last 60 second, touch pad and keyboard stopped working, only noticed recently because I never really used them. Lastly, something else is fucked becuase it works slowly than it used to, FPS drops in every game.

Both worked fine long enough Id say, but the current one(ASUS) goes straight to trash when I buy a new one, too much shit's broken already.
>>
So for laptops in general should I keep them plugged in when the battery is already full to avoid battery wear and tear? My macbooks battery died in 2 years of daily use and now it needs to be plugged in to be used.
>>
>>389543712
>Toshiba Qosmio gaming laptop
>price is really steep for what it is
>nevermind got enough money to spare
>bought it anyway
>only thing went down was the easily and cheaply replaceable HDD, on the third year
>currently on its 5th year, still going strong
There is a thing called QC
>>
the vacuum cooler seems to do a better job than cooling pads if your laptop have side exhausts
>>
>>389543712
I'm using ASUS, still working good after three years, no issues at all (maybe some chipped paint, but meh). I do regularly maintain the piece of machine, though.

>>389543996
Eh, a lot of laptops nowadays can be custom-built and modular enough to have its hardware replaced.

>>389544469
I work on short contracts, and each one requires me to be on-site for long periods of time (around 6 months-1 year).
>>
>>389544469
or if your ass is stuck in the middle of buttfuck kuwait because army shit.
>>
>>389544469
>Use laptop as both a gaming platform and for work
>Have to work on site a lot
>Love to get away on the weekends, get comfy and play muh geems by the fireplace by the lake.

Git gud @ understanding your peeps, mate.

That said, the most important reason for me getting a GL is that I am having my grandma buy it for me in the US (cheaper). Can't have her buying securing and shipping a bunch of desktop parts.
>>
>>389546354
Is there anything to do in Kuwait? is it comparable to say, UAE?
>>
>>389543712
I had pretty much the same issue with a msi ge62qf, had to replace the cpu vent and repast both the cpu and gpu. Now it's running fine altough it still get hot and quite loud.
Disabling hyperthreading helps with keeping the cpu temps under 86°C, you can do it by setting you max cpu state at 99% in the alim options.
>>
>>389545339
I'd say it's useless hassle because the battery would still last long enough even if you kept it charged. There's also the power management shit that only works when it's connected to the line, especially for gaming laptops.
>>
File: no fucks given.webm (3MB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
no fucks given.webm
3MB, 852x480px
>>389543712
I bought a new HP Omen 15 the other day lol. The new 2017 mid year model. I actually like it a lot.

i5 7300HQ
1060 GTX Max Q (6 GB)
8 GB RAM
120hz G Sync Screen

I would have just bought a gaming PC but the reason I don't is that whenever I play with keyboard I get this RSI pain in my WASD wrist. As long as I don't play on keyboard it's not there but whenever I do it comes back. It sucks. I just play on PS4 and that causes no issues.

I needed a new laptop anyway so I just went with this; I basically see the gaming as a bonus. I only really play retro FPS on PC anyway. Playing Doom, Quake, etc at 120fps/hz is really fucking nice, never experienced this before. I won't have to worry about overheating etc since I'm only gonna be playing old shit on this. I'm also gonna emulate all those Gamecube/Wii games I missed out on. Checking online this thing also runs cemu pretty well, so I'll even be able to play BOTW.

I really like this machine so far.
>>
>>389544469
Got myself a gaming laptop in the Army, and I'm never looking back. I'd much rather go with portability and slightly shorter hardware lifespan than having to tear down and set up a desktop everytime I want to move it.

I will have a desktop at some point, but for the foreseeable future, I'm going to be using a laptop.
>>
File: 1500232943172.gif (466KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
1500232943172.gif
466KB, 550x550px
>>389543712
>play AAA game
>ona """"""""""gaming""""""""""" laptop
There's your problem m8, these are for editing software on the spot and games from the past three years or so.

Also I have an Asus X555LB that failed me in mere two years (the PCB HDD died I'm assuming) so I sent it for repairs to the Asus Tech Center in my country, I bet it's gonna cost millions to repair
>>
>>389543712
did you go with an i7 7700hq or 6700hq?

mistake if you did, those fuckers heat up bad. should have gone with a 7300hq and done thorough laptop research on their thermals etc.
>>
>>389543712
I bet that in those seven months you never cleaned the fan or checked the thermal-paste. Did you at least keep an eye on the temperature before everything went to shit?
>>
File: catstermind.jpg (41KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
catstermind.jpg
41KB, 450x450px
>>389549956
He needs to open the laptop to check the thermal paste mate and opening your laptop voids your warranty. I have the same problem

Which is fucked.
>>
>>389549956
>never cleaned the fans or checked thermal paste
Not possible when there's a big "DO NOT TEMPER OR ELSE WARRANTY IS VOIDED" sticker on some of the bottom screws.
>>389549576
7700, never knew there actually exists laptops that don't heat up too much
>>
>>389543712
Funny how literally yesterday I had just the same issue. The CPU fan on my year old GE62 started rattling like a motherfucker probably hitting the radiator. Whats weird though when the CPU heats it up just enough and I turn on the fans again it works just fine although with slight rattling.

Though I naver got to 90C on new games not that I play on it much. With Witcher 3 and having another screen connected the CPU reached like 85 at most.
And honestly I just bought it to have a nice laptop with a GPU cuz I think although a bit hotter than lappys with just CPU are fine with watching videos etc, after like 2 years they get hot like motherfucker if you dont have hardware acceleration via GPU.
>>
I bought an Asus laptop for $1200 two years ago. This thing's a beast. Best laptop I've ever had. The only thing I don't like about it are the gay red LEDs under the keyboard and the embarrassing "Republic of Gamers" emblem on the case.

I don't use it for gaming, though. Getting a laptop for gaming is retarded.
>>
>>389550092
then get it fixed under warranty or open it up after warranty expires
>>
>>389550092
>>389550136

That sounds like a nice angle for a civil law suite for prohibiting you from maintaining your hardware.

Every fan needs regular cleaning and you should always keep an eye on the temperatures of your electronics. Failing parts is one thing a burned down house can be another.
>>
>>389550092
>>389550136
>opening your laptop voids your warranty
I don't have any warranty stickers.

>>389550136
>7700, never knew there actually exists laptops that don't heat up too much
Don't go with 7700hq for a laptop, period. They get too hot in general. I mean even the better thermal performances I saw had it at around 85, it's just not good enough. 7300HQ gets pretty much the same performance and runs much cooler.

I didn't research on the 1080/1070 GPU laptops because it was too much for me so I can't tell you what their thermals would be like with laptops. I'd also assume those fuckers would get way too hot to play with a laptop.

I was looking for about a 1050/1050ti/1060 range. I can tell you from what I found that Acer Aspire VX15 and Dell Insiron 7000 had the best thermals from what I found. But yeah, you should always research big time before you buy a laptop (check out reviews, youtube benchmarks and thermals etc) especially if you want to run games on it and are going to be using it as your primary PC gaming machine. Ideally you should definitely just build a PC however. Much cheaper and you'll get way better components.
>>
>>389543712
I'm saving myself for the asus predator 21x
Just few more days to go till I cash in
>>
>>389543712
>buying 2000$ computer of ANY kind
you only have yourself to blame.
I've never paid over 500$ for my laptops, and they're still both alive 8 and 5 years later.

You fuckers also should learn to do maintenance on your shit. Laptops need to be cleaned up, inside out, twice more often than PCs.
>inb4 fuckers who've never opened their desktops either
>>
>>389543712
>playing on laptop

you did this to yourself
>>
>>389544469
I'm not a NEET, i bring my GLaptop to work and, if there's nothing to do, i spend some time playing with my bros. When i'm at home i just sit on the sofa and play vidya while drinking coffee.
GLaptops=supreme comfyness
>>
>>389550316
What are your specs?

>The only thing I don't like about it are the gay red LEDs under the keyboard and the embarrassing "Republic of Gamers" emblem on the case.
Yeah I hate that shit. Why they make gaming laptops so gaudy is beyond me. A normal looking laptop would be fine thanks, one that won't look retarded during meetings at work.
>>
>>389543712

Your laptops are made of fucking plastic, its summer where it ehats even more up in that little space it has of course you get issues thats why you get a tower, remove the paneling and enjoy 40 celsius max
>>
>>389551121
Intel Core i7-4720HQ CPU @ 2.60GHz × 8
>>
>>389543712
>gaming laptop
pick one and only one
>>
>>389551105
>not owning a living room pc
what are you, poor?
>>
>being retarded enough to buy 2,000$ gaming laptop
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.