[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

WHY DO SO MANY GAMES HAVE TO HAVE QUIPS NOW?? NOT EVERYTHING

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 7

File: Destiny-2-02.jpg (59KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
Destiny-2-02.jpg
59KB, 1200x800px
WHY DO SO MANY GAMES HAVE TO HAVE QUIPS NOW?? NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE A MARVEL MOVIE REEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>389537349
youre about a year too late with this meme. 0/10 get some new material.
>>
>>389537590
no seriously though, why does every AAA title have to have quips in it?
>>
Why are the ghost and that one AI such annoying pieces of shit? Its like bordermemes.
>>
>>389537590
you okay champ?

No one is talking about memes?
>>
>>389537349
Is this guy supposed to be Deadpool?
>>
>>389537349
Normally I'd be annoyed by it, but I'm really liking it so far. The dialogue between Ghost & Failsafe is good as well.
>>
>>389537950
>The dialogue between Ghost & Failsafe is good as well.

Here is your (you).
>>
You're right I like proper old games without quips-

>PILOT'S LICENSE? WHAT FOR
>MORE LIKE A BRIDGE TOO SHORT
>HEY I THOUGHT I SAW ELVIS BACK THERE
>>
>>389537349
DAE LE EBIN SNARK????????

U SNARKY BOI WE SNARKY NOW HOHO LE YOU'RE ONE TO TALK BIG GUY *[[[4u]]]]

donja liek it when im le snarky hahaha im morally grey and u cand stob meh :)))) *shrugs in a cool and epic way* kill yourself kiddo `,:^3

I GOT THE IDEA JIM WE MAKE HIM SNARKY TO PRODUCE THE ILLUSION OF CHARACTER AND DIALGOUE DEPTH SHIP IT SHIP IT SHIP IT SHIIIIIIIIIIIP IIIIIIIIIIIIT
>>
>>389537349

What's wrong with quips? Are characters no longer allowed to talk to each other and make jokes? Can't have a little bit of fun on their adventures?
>>
OP this is what happens when a group of people have control over a games production.

Destiny 2, ME: Andromeda and Gears of War 4 for example.

When one person oversees the direction of something it doesn't have that samey marvel/hollywood cliche writing.

Look at Shenmue for example. Or Twin Peaks.
>>
I dunno. Haven't played anything made in the last 3 years
>>
>>389538390
They aren't really jokes though, its just usually trying to force a joke with cliche situations.

>character explains something in a scientific form of speech
>UHH CAN YOU SAY THAT IN ENGLISH DOC?
>*normies laugh uncontrollably*

Its like the big bang theory of writing.
>>
>>389538573
HEY, ARE YOU STILL PLAYING THIS?
>>
>muh video games should be serious business

lol just lay back and have a few giggles mate
banter and humour in this game is top notch unless ur a jaded nerd
>>
>>389539296
*is a jaded nerd* now just you listen here u lil shit
>>
>>389537349
>Marvel movies invented quips
how underage can you be?
>>
I'll take quips over a silent character who fucking DABS for attention...
>>
>>389538216
This.

It produces the illusion of character depth.

It's an old trick used in movies. Which, let's face it, is what all videogame writer would rather be doing. Writing movies.
>>
>>389538573
>It's okay in old games, but not in new ones
>>
>>389539423
they didn't invent them, but they sure normalized it to make it in every media now because they are popular.
>>
>>389539469
It's an old trick used in fucking real life as well, cockbreath.
>>
>>389539610

if you think marvel movies had anything to do with the popularization of "quips" you are a fucking retard
>>
>>389538573
Yeah, what kind of pathetic fucker has a sense of humor? Fucking human beings, robot master race.
>>
>>389537349
>WHY DO SO MANY GAMES HAVE TO HAVE QUIPS NOW?? NOT EVERYTHING HAS TO BE A MARVEL MOVIE REEEEEEEEEEE

Because when characters don't have quips, but well-developed backstories and nuance, then gamerrrrrz complain about how the character is boring.
>>
>>389539728
Yeah, can't have all of that at once. It is impossible.
>>
>>389537349
Character dialogue is the lowest form of storytelling.
>>
>>389537349
It's a children's game.
>>
>>389537715
Because every movie has them.
The question is why do so many movies have to have quips now?
>>
>>389537349
>qips
dumb gen zed, they're called one-liners
>>
>>389537349
Its because of Group think, OP.

I don't like it either.
>>
>>389537349
I honestly hate this guy I have no time for him, he so so fucking wishes he was deadpool like holy shit.
I get destiny was a bit too serious for its own good, so a joke character could help, but this guy is just not that great or funny, when he's the only character acting like that it just makes him obnoxious
>>
>>389539886
>why do so many movies have to have quips now?

Not a new thing, kid. Watch any old action movie, quips everywhere. Hell, Stallone and Arnie made their careers on the one-liners.

The only difference now is that writers spend some time trying to make them clever and not so cheesy.
>>
How much of a basement dwelling virgin do you have to be to not enjoy a quip or two? No one likes shit that takes itself too seriously anymore. You can blame the ADD generation for that
>>
>>389537349
Destiny 2 has literally Marvel writers. Original team BTFO hard. They went from overly epic which was bearable to Avengers/Borderlands TPS level of quips.
>>
>>389540147
Because when most AAA titles you play include them, you want some different writing.

Do you really need to be so mean?
>>
>>389540086
It wasn't this bad before, you had the designated quip character in cheesy action movies and that was it, compare it to nuStar Wars for example where all characters aren't characters at all but rather le self-aware writer self-inserts that don't take their own plot and setting seriously.
This cancer started with marvel and their capeshit.
>>
>>389540147
You enjoyed borderlands 2 and tiny tina I imagine? :)
>>
>>389540297
>you had the designated quip character in cheesy action movies

No, you're wrong. The hero quipped, the comic relief quipped. Hell, sometimes even the villains quipped.

Literally the only thing that is different is that people got tired of how awful the jokes and puns were, so they made them better.

You only think this shit started recently because you're like 11 years old.
>>
>>389540437
But they didn't make them better, they are still the same trash?
>>
>>389540437
I had the displeasure of watching Avengers in the cinema and I still have PTSD over how bad the writing was, I avoided any capeshit after that but Star Wars was also ruined by it and apparently even games are being influenced by them now.
Marvel writing is abhorrent and will be remembered as one of those shitty grating things in old movies that make them unwatchable, get over it kiddo.
>>
>>389540665

Stop being stupid.

You could make the argument that a lot of them suffer from Aaron Sorkin syndrome where all the humor has the same voice, but they're unquestionably much more clever jokes now.
>>
>>389538390
The quips are fine, when it's reasonable. But so much of it just brings attention to shitty writing. "Shit these characters haven't had a moment of brevity yet, which mission relevant character is available? Quick, say something quirky."

The quippy/snark works when you have a character dedicated to it, and it's a character flaw or something. The egotistical fucking bastard who always needs the last word works, and is entertaining as a hero or villain.

The "serious talking no-jokes" character having one last "spit in the face" of the villain before they die is effective for the character.

Spiderman works well because in the end "He's just a kid", who uses it as a method of dealing with stress.

I didn't play Destiny 1, and frankly the ghost confuses the fuck out of me. Supposedly they actually exist, and every guardian has one. From the stuff I've heard they're just referred to as "Ghost" by the guardians, which implies a lack of interpersonal relations between them. But the player's spends an entire objective going "that one looks more thief-y than the last one, you should get that one... yeah it's totally SUPER thiefy." Implying that ghosts have a personality, but are they all the same? Why aren't there more guardians bitching about their ghost that doesn't take things seriously? You would think in that opening cutscene with Cayde and co. there would be 6 people talking since each of them have a ghost.
>>
>>389540814
How fucking dumb do you have to be to think marvel writing is even remotely clever? Have you ever even watched anything other than capeshit?
>>
>>389540814
Are you okay anon? I was only one posters.

They aren't clever at all.

Are you one of the writers for a marvel movie or something?
>>
>>389541135

I didn't say they were clever, I was being comparative. I said they were MORE clever.

And it's not hard to be more clever than Arnie implaling someone on a steam pipe and saying "Let off some steam."

Lean to read you dumb faggot.
>>
>>389541213
they aren't more clever

Man you have a mouth on you.
>>
>>389541213
I think you are confusing quips with puns and one liners.
>>
>>389537349

Isn't Destiny 2's writer a tranny?
>>
>>389541213
>everyone else is doing it so its okay

man I feel sorry for you lel
>>
>>389541213
wow being cleverer than the famously retarded action movies from the 80's what a great accomplishment

also the old action movie humor had nothing to do with the current marvel "humor", they aren't comparable at all
>>
>>389541345
oh man source on this pls
>>
>>389541126

Ghosts do have personalities. They're not mindless computers in the same way Exos aren't just robots

>Ghost fragment: Exo: - which in the end is just a matter of substrate chauvinism. It doesn't matter if the system thinks with flesh or superconductor or topological braids in doped metallic hydrogen, as long as the logic is the same. And our logic is the same. Yours and mine.

>If I am a machine then so are you. If you are not a machine then neither am I. Exo minds are human. It is incontrovertible.
>>
>>389541315

Oh okay, then by all means please explain the specific, concrete differences between a joke, quip, one-liner, and pun in the context of movie dialogue.
>>
>>389537349
Part of what bothers me is that they aren't even part of the action. In movies you don't have any interactive to the experience, so every character feels the same and are usually "around".

But when some fuck keeps jumping on the radio to comment on what you're doing, or the ghost keeps spending 30 seconds talking about something that could have taken 10 if it didn't act like a child. I get the feeling that the NPCs would rather be the ones doing the mission than I am. Quirky quips don't really work when the other person can't respond either.

The characters saying them don't act like they're making a joke on purpose, they just say it as though it's a natural thing. When you blow up an enemy base and say "I guess they went out with a bang." you don't get to pretend like you didn't make a shitty joke.

As an example/parody skip to 1:56
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yv3DedNXN4o&t=409s
>>
>>389537914

Thats the vibe i was getting, and it's terrible.
>>
>>389541610
You have some good arguments
Luckily, there has been active experimentation on this subject!

To your surprise, there has been a game already created that tried to avoid all the things you said and that tried to do all the things you suggest

its called Destiny
the first one
its fucking terrible
>>
>>389541907
I actually liked how dry the game was.
>>
>>389537715
Disguise the fact that their writing is trash and they don't have anything

Destiny 1 was bad because all their talent left halfway through development? So what's the excuse for Destiny 2?
>>
Did the first 3 halo games have constant quips in it?

I don't remember that they did.
>>
>>389537914
I was thinking Starlord.
>>
>>389541907
You're retarded, there are plenty of games with actually good writing and clever jokes and without shitty quips.
>>
>>389539886
because when people try to make capeshit serious like Snyder, they better make the fucking masterpiece of masterpieces, or get well recived by sjw, otherwise people will bash their work like there's no tomorrow.
So yea, every big movie just accept it and make fucking quips all over the film
>>
>>389542063
It had Johnson saying silly shit to lighten the mood and Cortana's sass, not really quippy though
>>
>>389539727
I know you autistic types have difficulty with the whole solipsism thing, so let me help you out.

Your (you) sense of humor isn't universally shared by other people (not you).

Glad I could help.
>>
File: 1492685248197.png (101KB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
1492685248197.png
101KB, 500x331px
>>389542139
>there's literally no difference between a joke and a "quip"
>its only a "quip" when i dont like it
>nothing should have "quips" only jokes please
>>
>>389542227
The popularity of the marvel films say otherwise, retard.
>>
>>389541907
Yeah, I didn't play the first Destiny because it wasn't on PC and I heard a rumour it was "possible". But all my friends got 2 on PS4 anyway.

Apparently that game just never gave you any exposition or anything. I'm still really not 100% on why people just say "hive magic" like they don't live in a sci-fi universe, and say it without a hint of irony.

I thought that the energy that powered magic shit was called Light, and that came from the Traveler. But apparently the hive used to have the traveller but it abandoned them and now they want it back, but they still have Magic? But when the red legion did a thing it stole all the Light from the guardians they couldn't do ANY magic shit, but for some reason it didn't also take the left over/corrupted(?) light from the Hive, and just left the Guardians powerless AND the guardians didn't have any remnant Light hanging around? Why does the Traveler resisting cause 0 light left in humanity, but the Traveler choosing to abandon a race leaves them with enough to still be a problem?
>>
>>389542063
IIRC The only time it came in mortaring distance of fart-sniffing self-reference was "thought I'd try shooting my way out; mix things up a little."
>>
>>389542285
Jokes and quips are two different kinds of humor you downie, I won't delve into the particulars of what actually constitutes humor since that's subjective as fuck but if you think quips are somehow an universal kind of humor then you are one humongous retard.

I like to use Thief as an example of good humor, some guards have goofy voices and lines but they are always firmly rooted in the world and don't break the 4th wall, they don't debase the lore and story like "quips" do.
>>
It's to lighten the mood because if you have nothing but doom gloom serious edge it gets tiring and cringey. You need levity
>>
File: nathan.gif (505KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
nathan.gif
505KB, 180x180px
>>389537914
Nah, he is supposed to be every Nathan Fillion character ever.
>>
>>389540814
>More clever

The fact that they're trying to make them "oh so clever" is why they're so cancerous now. 80s one liners were good precisely because they were cheesy. Lots of action films in the 80s didn't take themselves seriously, they were just vehicles used to show Arnold, Stallone, or Willis shooting shit up and looking badass.
>>
>>389542693
I can honestly tell you as someone who has a high pressure, life or death job, that the idiot cracking jokes at the wrong time is the person everyone hates. Levity is for when shit is done, not when shit is in progress
>>
>>389542693
Quips aren't the only kind of humor, they're actually the most unsubtle kind and instantly ruins anything they touch, there are far better options.
>>
>>389537349
I don't mind quips.
But why does a robot have to have a nasally annoying sarcastic voice?
>>
What is with all these braindead manchildren who conflate quips with the concept of comedy?
>>
>>389542890
spotted the literal autist
>>
>>389537349
Cayde has nothing to do with modern trends, he's just another in the line of Nathan Fillion characters that are snarky and capable.

He was exactly the same in Destiny 1, and as Buck.
>>
>>389542824
Because mouthbreathers REEEE'd at Peter Dinklage for having a monotone sounding voice Maybe because he's a soulless robot created by something that isn't human?, so they got Nolan North to redo everything and overreact the shit out of it while he's at it.
>>
>>389542962
You saw yourself before you posted?
>>
Name an example of a good quip, and name an example of a bad one
>>
>>389543117
See? Even had a literal autist response to it LOL
>>
>>389542693
>shitty writers oversaturate their games with doom gloom serious edge that is tiring and cringey
>"just balance it out with one liners!"

inb4 bungie actually names a character or faction "The Archetype"
>>
>>389543165
Quips are inherently shitty in writing because quips are supposed to be spur-of-the-moment things.
It's also more about their placement and frequency than their actual content.
>>
>>389542693
But there's a time and a place for it all. And honestly, it seems like Destiny 2 should not be the time and place for it. Literally an apocalypse scenario, and multiple people are laser focused on their goal of either A. Salvaging what they can. or B. Fighting back the bad guys who kicked their collective asses once already and are preparing to bring down the apocalypse.

This isn't some "fireside jokes to lighten the mood". This isn't "Waiting out the calm before the storm." This isn't "sudden confidence boost in a dire situation." It's not "friends using eachother for support/enjoying eachothers company whenever they get the chance." It's not even "Things are so bad we might as well not even take things seriously! I'm telling jokes because the alternative is focusing on the fact we're EXTRAORDINARILY close to fucking everything forever."

You know what pulled off moments of brevity to lighten the mood? Titanfall 2. Conversations with BT could either be serious or light-hearted. The end of the game has you team up with spec-ops and wallrunning between ships flying at hundreds of kilometers per hour, where one of the team goes "I love my job" while the other goes "Fuck! This is a bad idea!"
>>
>>389537349
Well what should it be since you seem to know?
If it's too serious, you get tryhard redditor fedora shit.
If it's too quippy, you get tumblr capeshit for kiddies.
If it's too abstract, you get "dude, so deep lmao" pretentious garbage.
>>
>>389543636
You're aware soldiers often tell jokes and stories before going out to fight and possibly die, right? Quips come from the real life psychological need to avoid thinking about death. It's in videogames because it's typically relatable to people who aren't emotionless autists
>>
>>389537349
This game's marketing is already the thing I hate the most about it. I understand it's trying to appeal to mentally retarded dudebros and that's exactly why it annoys me to no end.
This game might even surpass the first in shittiness because it doesn't even feel like they're trying this time.
>>
>>389543902
an original story with nicely written characters that don't have to resort to the laugh track equivalent of portraying anything comedic.

You are the black and white kind of person aren't you anon?

You came off as pretty aggressive there :)
>>
>>389543636
People will be making quips and telling jokes in a literal apocalypse the second their out of immediate danger, 100%.
>>
File: IMG_2661.jpg (75KB, 448x441px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2661.jpg
75KB, 448x441px
>>389543997
>Soldier telling a funny story about his kids before getting shot is the same as Robert Downey Junior turning to the camera and saying money is his superpower.
>>
>>389543997
Well they sure do a horrid job of showing how people deal with death. Marvel movies aren't real life, champ.
>>
>>389543997
lol
this is b8 right
>>
>>389544051
Not aggressive at all, you're projecting. I'm just pointing out that basically every form of dialogue writting is up for stereotyped critique.
Also, you didn't answer my question, you just talked about characters and story -- mine related to dialogue. You just said "this is what it shouldn't do", well, what should it do?
>>
File: 1467531929758.jpg (9KB, 235x215px) Image search: [Google]
1467531929758.jpg
9KB, 235x215px
>>389537950
Dont listen to
>>389538116
Its cheesy, but fun. Jaded /v/irgins cant enjoy normie humor even a little. Might ruin their edgy persona.
>>
>>389544114
No, but that doesn't make his quip any less funny. Just because you personally don't find it funny doesn't make it bad. Humor is subjective
>>
>>389543997
Before? Yes. During? No. Incessantly like in the movies? Fuck no, we'd tell that idiot to shut the fuck up.
>>
>>389544326
It's not funny in any context, like people have said ITT these quips are just 80s one liners but instead of the writer trying to fill space the writer is instead jerking his dick at how clever that was
>>
>>389537349
Because Uncharted
>>
>>389543997
Here's a (You)
>>
>>389537349
Because our major cultural productions are all cheap pop culture trash now and have been for a long time. AAA game companies are now completely infected with green haired sjws and nu-males who think game of thrones is the apex of writing and consume "geek" culture trash. They don't read classic literature and they don't study classic design and they aren't even very good programmers. The people who write these games are complete spergs, minus the actual passion of the tabletop playing virgins from years past.
>>
File: question.jpg (38KB, 736x552px) Image search: [Google]
question.jpg
38KB, 736x552px
>>389537349
Will I be able to jump into this game if I never played the first one?
>>
File: 4gamer_8.jpg (54KB, 240x360px) Image search: [Google]
4gamer_8.jpg
54KB, 240x360px
>>389539796
agreed
game devs need to get on Matsuno's level.
>>
>>389537349
Because American media and popular culture is at an all time low. It is really pathetic, we are a joke now. We should be ashamed.
>>
>>389539627
That statement made no sense and you should be ashamed.
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.