[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

He has a point ya know, nobody liked mafia 3 and it sold

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 177
Thread images: 32

File: 1504730672218.png (245KB, 1001x1227px) Image search: [Google]
1504730672218.png
245KB, 1001x1227px
He has a point ya know, nobody liked mafia 3 and it sold 5 damn million.
>>
>>389484886
>Literally doesn't know what he's talking about
>the quote.
>>
Is there a single thing Patcher was right about?
>>
>>389484886
>the first Japanese game I liked in years
>except for all these other Japanese games that for some reason totally don't count
What a piece of shit.
>>
File: 1504542443702.jpg (77KB, 473x501px) Image search: [Google]
1504542443702.jpg
77KB, 473x501px
Thank fuck not all game devs think the same way as him
>>
>japanese games are irrelevant
>except for all the games coming out of japans biggest gaming company
>and these other big games from japan

"journalism"
not even once
>>
Why would anyone listen to anything Pachter has to say about anything ever? Somebody play Pachter's advocate and answer me, because I sure as fuck can't think of a single reason he's still around.
>>
>>389486118
Konami and Capcom thought the same as him.
And they both invested relatively heavily in western studios.

Projects of which bombed heavily for both of them. Not only bleeding money but also severely damaging their precious brands compared to before. And now both have mostly given up on videogames.
>>
>>389484886
That's fine, relevancy kills franchises
>>
What other medium can a literal nobody make constantly wrong "predictions" and still be treated as some kind of authority by the press?
>>
>>389484886
He is right though.
Bloodborne sold ~2.7 million copies even though Sony has sold over 60 million PS4.
>>
>>389484886
Don't really care if they don't sell as much as western AAA, they're still profitable which means they'll keep making them and that's all I want.
>>
>>389486818
I realize souls hard is a meme now, but do you really think the bloodsouls series is mainstream in the same way as Cod?
>>
File: 1497239426219.jpg (956KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1497239426219.jpg
956KB, 1920x1080px
>>389484886

>the larger western video games market isn't interested in Japanese games
>when the vast majority of the videogame market of now includes mobile games and call of duty for actual normies who only maybe played san andreas on a ps2

No fucking shit. They weren't around when the Nips OWNED the entire fucking market.

He talks like publishers should only be putting money into AAA games and not making precise investments that are made to satisfy semi-niche groups.

>>389486846
he even says in the article

>no one is making money off that

If Persona 5 was a AAA western game with TV ads and a western marketing budget higher than its developement costs, then sure it wouldn't make any money.

These people are so fucking addicted to the AAA development whore that they can't see the market working any other way.
>>
>>389486398
He's still around because, according to him, investors listen to him.
Depending on how large is the number of people that listen to him, some of which may be direct clients, he holds relevance in the market, unfortunately. Although I doubt he's as influential as he says he is.
>>
Problem is anons think of video games like buying a book or watching a movie. To them, they see playing the game as a solitary pursuit so they're happy to play games which are different from the mainstream aesthetic in western society. They're just happy to be along for the adventure.

Mainstream western fans think of gaming as a social activity that they play with friends so they will play Halo, Street Fighter, Star Craft, LoL, COD, Overwatch, Madden and 2K. In that kind of "scene" you don't want to get a single player game that is too weird because that makes a statement about you to your pleb friends. Your pleb friends are conditioned to mock people for being different and to enforce social norms so you buying japanese games that are "weird' like Persona translates to you losing social capital.

This is why normies are the fucking worst. This is also why streaming has become so popular despite being cancer. Pleb normies can't stand doing anything unless they're surrounded by other imbeciles like them. The next 20 years will see even more derivative pleb normie games made from a cookie cutter copy and paste format that big corporations use because they're scared to innovate.

I'm not saying that Japanese games aren't formulaic as fuck sometimes but there is an attention to detail and a sense of craftsmanship that is missing in American games.
>>
File: neat.png (2MB, 1232x1760px) Image search: [Google]
neat.png
2MB, 1232x1760px
Who is this guy and why should I care?
>>
>Michael "I'm wrong 100% of the time" Pachter
>>
He is correct, and thank fuck for that. I don't want the "mass market" infesting quality games and forcing homogenization.
>>
>pachter still alive and got work in 2017

this is the most amazing part imo
>>
>>389484886
If the Japanese made better games perhaps more would buy them? It's not fucking rocket science
>>
File: 1501725657208.png (165KB, 370x360px) Image search: [Google]
1501725657208.png
165KB, 370x360px
>No one is making money off of 2 million units

He can't be this retarded can he?
>>
>>389484886
he's right,get outside of 4chan no one gives a shit about anime shovelware,2mil is fucking abysmal for PS4
>>
>>389484886
>people STILL listen to Pachter
How long has this schmuck been around
>>
File: 1401963166870.png (40KB, 208x208px) Image search: [Google]
1401963166870.png
40KB, 208x208px
>>389487689
Something that sells in a large amount does not make it good. If that's true than Twilight is one of the greatest novels ever written. There are other things that factor into something selling besides just it's quality.
>>
>>389487950
i remember noticing him since the wii era, so he could be doing this shit b4 it as well. 10+ doing nothing but spouting horseshit and still have a job, video game journalism and analyst in a nutshell
>>
File: 1359780349558.jpg (17KB, 310x310px) Image search: [Google]
1359780349558.jpg
17KB, 310x310px
>>389484886
>pachter
>>
He's right, but not in the way he says it. Like a broken clock - it's five o' clock somewhere.

Japanese games aren't selling well in Japan, and that's a problem. Today's kids playing games are the source of tomorrow's hires making games. Japan is burning through the last generation of dedicated gamers as we speak. The designers are slowly becoming old men and there won't be anyone with the native background of a gamer to replace them. What happens when a company is replacing gamers-turned-developers with nongamers in those same slots? I don't know, but the decline of companies like Bioware gives some worrying hints.
>>
How did Mafia 3 sell 5 million? Sounds like a straight up lie
>>
>>389488156
>If that's true than Twilight is one of the greatest novels ever written.
But it was? Hating Twilight was just a meme.
>>
>>389488537
It's a western AAA game with lots of marketing and is an open world third person shooter to boot. How could it not sell 5 million?
>>
>>389487539
I agree. Whenever they take japanese IPs and try to appeal to the mass western market with them we get shit like Castlevania Lords of Shadow, Silent Hill Downpour/Homecoming/That one vita diablo clone and DmC: Devil May Cry. Hell, even good western titles are susceptible to this. Deadspace 1&2 to Deadspace 3 for example. The moral of the story is that appealing to the widest possible audience is almost always detrimental to a game's quality.
>>
>>389488719
Aren't all those games you mentioned made by western developers though? Japanese Ips originally sure but they weren't ruined by them.
>>
>>389486398
>>389487338
Did he ever start getting things right? Because I remember years people bracing for the opposite of whatever he said, like the Vita thing.
>>
File: 1502477346876.jpg (88KB, 419x580px) Image search: [Google]
1502477346876.jpg
88KB, 419x580px
I liked Mafia 3
>>
>>389488910
The company that owns the IP are still responsible because they're the ones giving the IP out in an attempt to appeal to the western mass market. My guess is that they think western devs would be better at appealing to the western mass market easier than the japanese counter parts so they just hand off whatever IP in an attempt to gain the mass market. The only instance of this working out that I can think of off the top of my head is Dead Rising 1 to Dead Rising 2.
>>
isnt the japanese market ALONE almost as big as the rest of the world?
>>
>>389484886
He is right about the mass market part but way wrong about how no on is making money unless they are selling 5 or 10 million copies. You can easily make money off 2 million sales, as long as the cost to make and market the game isn't too high. 2 million sold around the average price of 30$ is around 50 million after the platform 30% cut, as long as your budget is managed well, you could make your money back and then some.
>>
>>389484886
>patcher said something
so using normal logic we must take it the other way and assume the industry only cares about Japanese games
>>
>>389487501
Someone who gets paid a lot by investors, who are the real force behind the gaming market.

The fact that he is completely wrong and out of touch a majority of the time doesn't seem to stop him being popular with them for some reason.
>>
>>389486649
election results
>>
>>389484886
>Mafia 3 is crap
>that's why P5's numbers are caused by a rounding error
Fuck off
>>
>>389484886

>Persona 5 grows the brand exponentially
>NOPE DOESN'T MATTER LALALA

Are we also forgetting the BotW is a Japanese game now?
>>
>japanese games have no impact
>except these japanese games
>but your not allowed to use them as an example because i said so

Sounds like he's straight off /v/.
>>
>>389484886
>Michael Patcher
Holy shit, Japanese games are the greatest thing in the world then.,
>>
>>389489667
I think 2 million sold in a region that had very little advertisements is pretty good. Whenever you see these giant budgets for these AAA games, a very large portion of it is all marketing.
>>
>>389488719
Lord of Shadow was good you homo prancing fag.
>>
File: Michael-Pachter.jpg (78KB, 640x617px) Image search: [Google]
Michael-Pachter.jpg
78KB, 640x617px
Stop Playing Japanese Games
>>
>>389487021
This. Marketing and advertising creates most of the cost for a game.
>>
>>389489893
>very large portion

At least 2/3 of the budget is advertisement.
>>
>>389484886
Yet the most recognizable video game character is from Japanese games.
>>
File: 1497777092306.png (155KB, 400x431px) Image search: [Google]
1497777092306.png
155KB, 400x431px
>>389484886
>if a game doesnt sell 5+ million its irrelevant
Yes, fuck variety and a focused demographic. Why aren't the Japanese just trying to make endless GTA and CoD clones like the """"""""AAA"""""""" western devs? Literally no one can make ANY money off just a million or two sales, so why even bother?
>>
>>389489667
It's still risky though. P5 did well in North America but it bombed in Europe where it would have cost more to localise and ship (It only charted in the UK where it sold out its print run and then failed to chart when it went back in stock. It only charted 13th on the PSN digital charts. Even France and Spain which are Weeb Central didn't buy it). Deep Silver only made a small print run and are printing to demand now. Sega were ok with it's performance but they noted they didn't really see the Europe demand was low because of a different publisher (Possibly why they are setting up a new Atlus Europe) and it cut into the revenue of the games international release.

>>389489842
It did OK for what it was but it's still only a name around the "core" gamer and long term opinion of the game has gone down a bit because of how grindy and boring it gets mid game to the end (And that game has a very strong start).
>>
>>389490012
It was good if you liked incredibly shallow mash-y combat with QTEs strewn about. It wasn't horrible, like most of those other games I listed but they were made to be more appealing the mass western market and lacked what the japanese made games had that made them so special.
>>
>>389484886
Wanna know why Mafia III sold well? Mass advertising. Wanna know why it was barely profitable? Mass advertising.
>>
>>389490698
Doesn't North America have more weeaboos though?
>>
>>389490716
>LoS
>Incredibly shallow comabt

I see you never played the average japanese action rpg. LoS wasn't hard but had satisfying combat, great monster design and a great atmosphere.

Don't act like every japanese game is some kind of incredible handcrafted jewel, there is some shallow shit that sells in drove. LoS was above average.
>>
>>389490698

I'm just wondering when Atlus is going to get their head out of their ass and push games out on PC.

Fucking NierA did crazy good on PC for something with no marketing budget.

PC will never beat the main consoles in first day sales but long term revenue streams beat out consoles when you take into account money from steam sales > no money from used copy market.
>>
Obviously the issue here is budget, if Persona 5 was created with relatively half the budget of Mafia 5 then 2 million sold is exceptionally good and Michael Patcher is an idiot for saying no one is making money off of that.

According to this old article Mafia 3 needed 8 million to break even.

http://www.gamezone.com/news/rumor-mafia-3-needs-to-sell-8-million-units-to-be-a-success-hasn-t-even-sold-1-million-3444741

And since the estimate budget cost for the Mafia 3 is guessed around $200 million I think it's pretty clear Persona 5 is well below that kind of budget.
>>
>>389491440
These kinds of people don't care about games.
They only care about money,
and when the sums aren't huge and returns aren't high enough they don't care.
They only see it as a waste of time.

For anyone who cares about games the only thing that really matters is that the studio makes enough money to be profitable.
If this means 5 million or 50.000 games sold doesn't matter.
>>
>>389491152
>Don't act like every japanese game is some kind of incredible handcrafted jewel, there is some shallow shit that sells in drove

I'm not though? I'm drawing comparisons between the Japanese counterparts to the westernized versions of the originals. Lords of Shadows was a blatant attempt at grabbing the God of War audience and it shows. There is almost nothing there that resembles the original games, both Classicvania and the Igavanias. Same thing with Homecoming, Downpour and DmC. They are all attempts of westernizing their respective series' but neglect key components of why those games were so lauded in the first place. The reason why Dead Rising 2 is good example of a western dev picking up a japanese IP is because they build on the previous elements as to why the original was so good in the first place, then adding their own twist to it.
>>
>>389490858
Europe is where weeb games really do really well. Dragon Ball in particular. Persona 5 is a weird outlier because it was pushed to the audience but no one was buying. The PS2 ones were localised by Square Enix, even.

>>389491202
Persona has some sort of exclusivity with Sony on the numbered mainline titles that was signed back in the 90's. Not sure for how many games though.
>>
>>389491971
Didn't Europe see a delay in the release for P5? I figured the people who really wanted it there would've just imported the US release.
>>
Pachter is a genius because his level of game knowledge is in total synch with the mass market (the one that matters for the people who observe the performance of the gaming sector as a whole).

Take the PS3 incident as an example. It doesn't matter that Pachter was way wrong about the PS3 being more powerful than any PC when it's also what most people believe.
>>
>>389491918
>There is almost nothing there that resembles the original games

Because it wasn't supposed to be a castlevania game until a good part of the developement was done. Thanks Kojima for that.
>>
>>389492132
It came out on the same day in Europe as the US. It just had very low interest in Europe, especially the mainland were weeb games normally do exceptionally well, despite critic scores being exceptional. It's a very odd case.
>>
>>389484886
>Persona 5's marketing and development budgets are a couple bucks
>Sells 2 million thanks to positive word of mouth
>Mafia 3 gets millions of billions of trillions of marketing pushing it on top of its expensive development budget
>only sells 5 million on fabricated day one hype and then stops selling immediately

>>389485339
Pachter has NEVER been right.
>>
>>389491971
>Persona has some sort of exclusivity with Sony on the numbered mainline titles that was signed back in the 90's. Not sure for how many games though.

Is there any source for this?
>>
File: öl.jpg (208KB, 990x1323px) Image search: [Google]
öl.jpg
208KB, 990x1323px
Mafia 3 sold five million copies?
Disgusting.
>>
>>389490767
Persona 5 was advertised quite well. I have an advertising poster for it from GameStop.
>>
File: frenchfrog.gif (259KB, 2500x1325px) Image search: [Google]
frenchfrog.gif
259KB, 2500x1325px
>>389492432
It's because we european have taste unlike you fat garbling islanders
>>
>>389484886
This is a depressing revelation. I didn't think generic stuff sold that well. COD I can accept, but Mafia 3???

Also fuck whoever thinks 2 mil sold isn't worth anything.
>>
File: 465435786975864.jpg (11KB, 270x240px) Image search: [Google]
465435786975864.jpg
11KB, 270x240px
>>389484886
>Japanese games are still irrelevant to the mass market
>except for all these Japanese games that are relevant to the mass market
>>
>>389492432
That's very interesting. I wonder what happened there?
>>
He is half right though

He's obviously wrong about Japanese games not making any money, but he's right that outside the proper mainstream stuff, jap games don't appeal to the mass market, or at least don't sell like generic western AAA games do. Kind of obvious shit though.
>>
>>389488565
Twilight, objectively, isn't a good book or film series.
>>
File: h3_e32006_ChiefVisor.jpg (169KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
h3_e32006_ChiefVisor.jpg
169KB, 1280x720px
>>389492668

Its because every big new game that has "casualized" by the industry brings new people and they either consume exclusively AAA stuff, branch out and people "gamers" by broudening their tastes over time, or they leave.

I started playing in the n64 era with ocarina of time, I stayed around.
I saw Halo bring a ton of people around, some of them stayed around.
Then Halo 2 got really big with online matchmaking.
THen Cod4 busted the entire industry wide open and cemented the AAA trend that we're only now getting out of.

>>389492770
He's not wrong here, they are irrelevant for the mass market, which is much larger than the core group of people that actually would consider them selves "into vidya" or have been for a long time.

Normies don't look to broaden their taste in vidya, they buy what they hear about and what their friends will be playing.

Here on /v/, we talk about everything. 4chan turned me into a weeaboo and finally got me into JRPGs, told me about God Hand, Deus Ex, so on and so forth. I can still enjoy normie games just fine on the other hand.

I use normie not in the /r9k/ way, but merely to refer to people who's only interaction with vidya is one or two titles and don't consider it a hobby. Even "im so nerdy" types are salvagable compared to these people.
>>
>>389490662
Anon nobody makes GTA clones. You are literally talking about an event that happened a decade ago.
>>
>>389488470
>Japan is burning through the last generation of dedicated gamers as we speak.

Feels bad desu. They make the best games too yet sell the least and mobiles are taking over
>>
Is this what "Fake News" is?
>>
>>389493713

I mean, for Nintendo the switch is literally their attempt to merge mobile and console so they don't have to keep separate development philosophies.
>>
>>389486398
Are you kidding? He's invaluable. Act on the opposite of his analysis and soon you'll be swimming in cash.
>>
I love Persona 5 and all but I can't imagine playing it without being a neet.
>>
>>389494175
This.
>>
>>389493962
It sucks even more because I'm not interested in Nintendo games as much as I am happy they are taking steps toward self preservation, most of my enjoyment in games comes from games like Persona 5, Nioh, Last Guardian and Gravity Rush 2, the games that are of an even higher chance of going extinct over the next decade.

I just dont know why people would rather play mobile games than really unique and fun games like the games I'm into. I don't why Japs would trade in their industry for freaking garbage
>>
>>389493337
I'm curious as to what the huge difference is. The obvious thing that comes to mind is marketing, but I wonder if there's also something more inherent than that. Say hypothetically, Persona 5 was mass-marketed to the same degree that a Western AAA game was. How big a difference would we be seeing from P5's current 2mil? And how would it affect the normie consciousness?
>>
>>389488470
>Japanese games aren't selling well in Japan

BINGO.

THAT is the REAL problem with the Japanese video game industry, that they can't sell in their own country anymore.
>>
>>389493628
AAA gaming chasing trends also haven't done well recently. First they chased the MMO trend and failed, then companies tried to jump into the Moba market and didn't make a dent. Now they're trying to take the hero shooter market from overwatch and it seems like a futile effort at the rate it's going.
>>
>>389490662
I read your post with sterling's voice and his obnoxious way of saying "triple A".
>>
>>389484886

Why does every piece of video gaming media amount to

>You know that thing you like? It sucks.

Someone has the picture, i know it.
>>
>>389494365
Mobile games or popular because future gambling addicts need something to do
>>
>>389493337
Back in the day Japanese games had a voice in mainstream media so normies actually heard about them but after COD4 and Rockstar, EA, Microsoft started pumping millions into marketing Japanese developers couldn't compete and got a one-way ticket out of the industry.

The problem is Japanese developers believe in selling a good game and earning your money, most of the big AAA publishers who dominate advertising don't and want to give you the least amount of product for the most amount of money. The moment Japanese games fell out of popularity people should have known we were going to enter a dark age of gaming inevitably and we are currently in it.

The only thing Japanese games have left is word of mouth and hopefully by sheer repetition will open the eyes of a normie or two (as it happened with me and the gateway game being Danganronpa kek) and hopefully gain a supporter of good quality games that deserve their asking price.

This industry is fucking broken man
>>
>>389494813
>obnoxious
>not incredibly funny

I kind of get off on knowing it makes people angry, it's so silly.
>>
>>389495120
this, crash FUCKING WHEN

thq's cancer is gone, but it's not fucking enough
>>
File: pachter.png (8KB, 1659x55px) Image search: [Google]
pachter.png
8KB, 1659x55px
yes goy- I mean gamers, stop complaining and just eat whatever we shit out! You don't want your precious games to take even longer, do you?
>>
>>389495398
What the heck I love Pachter now.
>>
>>389494365
Nintendo also has that kind of game tho.

Fatal Frame 5 was literally the only competent survival horror of this gen with a budget bigger than 3 peanuts. Actions game like Bayo and W101 obviously interest no one. Plateformer are relegued to indie which is a shame because Tropical Jeeze was fantastic.

Also I don't see how Persona has a chance of going extinct it is basically a mix of very popular japanese trope with sparkle, a relationship simulator and a casual combat system.
>>
Michael Pachter is still around? lol.
>>
>>389495398
what a fucking cunt, I hope he stops breathing soon
>>
>>389487021
>Nips owned the entire market.

This never happened. Even when America had a crash there was still MS-DOS and a large European market. Even when there were Japanese only consoles the west permeated the Top 10 best selling games. NES was the only time Japan had a stronghold on the console market. After that devs and publishers like Westwood, Rare, and EA started rubbing their dicks everywhere.

PC wasn't anything to laugh at either. Myst sold 4 million+ copies which would make it #3 for Genesis and #10 for SNES and that's against games that were package with consoles
>>
He's not right if you define the scale you're looking at. If you're only looking at super blockbuster games then all that matters is:

>Minecraft
>Call of Duty
>Mario Kart
>Blizzard Games
>DOTA/LoL
>Grand Theft Auto

Basically if the game doesn't do 10 Million Copies with release its irreverent.
>>
File: 1481304501501.jpg (555KB, 900x1259px) Image search: [Google]
1481304501501.jpg
555KB, 900x1259px
>>389496483
>Myst sold 4 million+ copies
You know those sales numbers are inflated to hell because Myst was bundled with prebuilts for a fucking decade, right?
>>
>>389484886
>Persona 5 is the first good selling jap game
>If we ignore Nintendo
>And Konami and the PES series
>And FromSoft
>And SqEnix
>And the Platinum big hitters
>And pretty much every single fighting game
>And probably a lot of other titles im forgetting right now.
He is, again, a complete imbecile.
>>
>>389495120
Actually, what games did Danganronpa gateway you to, aside from stuff like Ace Attorney, Persona, and Zero Escape?
>>
File: 2015-11-03_00045.jpg (383KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-03_00045.jpg
383KB, 1920x1080px
>>389492770
Outside of the Western-focused games he mentioned, hardly anyone except for the diehards look at other weeb games. Those that do look at weeb games tend to have a very, very high attach rate and buy them in droves to support their developers. I should know, I do it. With the exception of Persona 5, the series of games he listed were primarly made with Western-focused themes.
>>
File: 1493493028518.png (128KB, 500x555px) Image search: [Google]
1493493028518.png
128KB, 500x555px
>PUBG outsould Nioh, Nier Automata, BotW and Persona 5 put together

Kill me.
>>
>>389497171
He means weeb shit in this gen
>>
>>389495236
There will not be crash.
Normies have a lot of money to spend and no hobbies, so naturally they will just spend everything on the next big thing in vidya.
The crash will come with the economic collapse.
>>
>>389497495
This is actually good.
Money smells. And it's smell attracts the corrupt. The ones corrupting everything they touch.
The ones ruining everything you love.
As long as japanese games stay profitable, I will be content.
>>
Whatever, if they make them I'll buy them. I'm happy if they don't turn into AAA western shit.
>>
File: 1451349302638.png (6KB, 356x480px) Image search: [Google]
1451349302638.png
6KB, 356x480px
>>389499719
Who are these corrupt individuals?
>>
>>389484886
OUT OF A LL THE GAMES THE RACIST MENTIOND MAFIA 3
>>
>>389484886
Do Japanese games media have personalities like these? How does it seem like retarded game industry people only get press in western websites?
>>
File: 1391922999748.jpg (84KB, 650x638px) Image search: [Google]
1391922999748.jpg
84KB, 650x638px
>>389484886
>Japanese games don't matter to the average game player
>except for all the ones that do

I must have imagined all those Hylian crests I see on people's stuff then
>>
>>389500069
You know very well whom I am speaking of, but it doesn't really matter who they are.
They are born out of the unpure desires of human souls, and just how their very own souls are burdened by the sin of impurity, they will dye everything that they touch with the same color of impurity; that very same taste of decay.
As they hate, and have always hated everything that is fun and good.
>>
>>389497175
>Actually, what games did Danganronpa gateway you to

It's hard to say because there was some progression but ultimately I would say DG opened me up to all Japanese games in general. I was a avid player of adventure games and some rpgs before hand so text-based games with no 3D models were something I could already appreciate and I think that helped.

I now play everything from visual novels to jindies, jrpgs, action games etc. I had to go back a lot to catch up on like kingdom hearts, dragonquest, trails, atelier, metal gear persona and souls, etc.

The only Japanese games that didn't grab me were games like senran kagura and other games in that vein, Im just not into those and I've tried to like it but can't.
>>
>>389497495
We have to take into account that 99% of those buyers were not potential customers for those games in the first place. We're talking mega ultra casuals here, people who dont even play AAA games and just watch lootboxing videos on youtube and are addicted to candy crush
>>
>>389486398
He used basic logic to figure out that Spider-man 2 the video game would sell well
>>
>>389500668
>just watch lootboxing videos

Wait, just how big are unboxing videos? I always just figured they were a thing because people wanted to check the exact contents of something for a specific region or whatever before they commit to buying it themselves
>>
>>389495120
>Dang converted a normie into a weeb
Neato. Who's your favorite girl/boy of each game?
>>389500583
>SK and other games in that vein
Do you mean musou games or tiddy games?
>>
>>389496858
>pre-built computers specifically for boys and girls with software to match
>couldn't wrap their heads around Myst, so fuck it it's for both
love it
>>
>>389484886
Who the fuck is michael pachter, and why is he more relevant than japanese games?
>>
>>389501049
tiddy ones I guess. The only muso I've played is dragonquest heros and I enjoyed it but that may be because I went back and played 2 dragonquest games before hand so the characters and art design had some appeal but I am looking forward to playing dynasty warriors9 for example and enjoyed gundam breaker 3 which is kind of a muso, because the gameplay is fun
>>389501049
I don't really have a favourite character but the one that sticks out is the girl with the purple hair in the first game, can't remember her name though.
>>
File: 1397357806821.jpg (32KB, 200x201px) Image search: [Google]
1397357806821.jpg
32KB, 200x201px
>>389484886
Except P5 is one of, if not, the best selling games in Atlus history as a develope
>>
File: image.jpg (44KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 500x375px
>>389486649
Pro wrestling
>>
File: 1498729113175.jpg (29KB, 414x533px) Image search: [Google]
1498729113175.jpg
29KB, 414x533px
>>389484886
copies sold to retail does not equate to copies sold to consumers
>>
File: 1500803775980.jpg (411KB, 1280x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1500803775980.jpg
411KB, 1280x1280px
>>389501706
Kyoko is who you're thinking of.

Chiaki was the best girl though so you've failed the test, but that's ok.
>>
>>389501049
Also I wouldnt say I was fully converted to weeb, danganronpa just put me onto Japanese games in general. I never adopted the anti-western game mentality, I just play a wider range of games now than before and it feels great.

I was also addicted to online shooters for a long ass time though, I could easily picture see myself playing pubg for 8 hours a day right now and being a casual shitter but luckily I grew out of those type of games and I think having cash from my job helped me with that a lot since I started buying consoles and when I think about it though, it might have actually been the Vita which what put me in a position to explore Japanese games even before I picked up Danganronpa since I wanted to justify my purchase and people kept reccomending that game over and over again and I dismissed it initally as ''cringe japanesey stuff'' but eventually the persistence of /v/ goers made me take the plunge.

It's been an interesting experience to say the least seeing my taste change so much over the course of 2 years.
>>
>>389502140
Yeah her, it always felt like she knew something of vital importance about the facility in which everybody else didn't and that's what made her character so intriguing but she also came off as someone who was self-reliant and had strong internal fortitude which also drew me to admire her character in particular. I will admit Chiaki being a trap was surprising and I prolly wanted to smash her on some level. >''her''

added spoiler tags
>>
File: 1502521263462.png (68KB, 499x324px) Image search: [Google]
1502521263462.png
68KB, 499x324px
>>389503057
>Chiaki
>Trap
You're thinking of Chihiro. Chiaki is the Kyoko-like character of the second game who is most definitely a girl.

This is Chiaki.
>>
>>389491971
>Dragon Ball in particular
Dragon Ball is hardly weeb territory. Weebs love it, sure, but normies love it too because so many of them remember it being "that weird show that came on after school but was crazy and cool" and it stuck with them ever since. It has a lot of mass market appeal.
>>
>>389494813
Everything Jim Sterling says is obnoxious
>>
>>389499438
>There will not be crash.
>Normies have a lot of money to spend and no hobbies, so naturally they will just spend everything on the next big thing in vidya.
>The crash will come with the economic collapse
>>389499438

Or an EMP blast wrecking most AAA Western video game companies
>>
>>389484886
Mafia 3 did not sell 5 million copies.
>>
>>389504661
>Or an EMP blast wrecking most AAA Western video game companies
And crash the whole economy, which I was talking about.
The system will keep on running without any outside influence.
>>
File: 543d4a76b5624_0.jpg (23KB, 585x324px) Image search: [Google]
543d4a76b5624_0.jpg
23KB, 585x324px
>>389486649
Meteorologist
>>
>>389492508
>only sells 5 million on fabricated day one hype and then stops selling immediately
The problem with that is that even if it was a shitty game day one sales matter most.
Any sale after day 1 is more and more likely to be a used copy which doesn't give them any revenue.
>>
>>389496483
It was packaged with almost every brand name (packard bell, etc) from 93 through the latter part of windows 95. it was the smb of pc games for a while
>>
>>389486495
Konami has Crapcom hasn't

it's not the end but you can see it from here
>MvC: I
>>
>>389486649
politics in general

The thing with the press is that they want to sell a narrative with an agenda behind it, it has nothing to do with the truth, news or being right.
>>
File: va6q8dP.jpg (657KB, 1833x2471px) Image search: [Google]
va6q8dP.jpg
657KB, 1833x2471px
>>389484886
Is he an idiot?

Mafia 3 easily had bigger budget and aggressive ass marketing campaign. It sold more due to the power of pure shilling AND those 5 millions sales probably didn't do anything to cover the costs of production/marketing.

Persona 5 on the other hand won over people not only with established by previous games' fanbase, but it also won over many newcomers with its style, not youtube ads and billboards.

I do agree with him that normie machines like Xbone and PS4 survive only for FIFA and Call of Duties though. But I think Persona 5 is helping and Japanese developers are increasingly getting more interested in porting over their games on PC because there is a demand for them.
>>
>>389507745
Mafia 3 didn't sell so much because of it's shilling.
It sold because the games before it were actually decent.
If it were a game nobody knows about (for example if it were in the same position as persona), nobody would have bought it.
>>
>>389508286
Bullshit, every school had that one kid who was saying Persona 3 was the best game ever.
>>
>>389508563
Not here in europe. (Maybe this is why european sales numbers with persona 5 aren't really impressive)
>>
>>389486398
He says outrageous shit publicly because it makes him extra money on the side. He's not gonna say what he really thinks because he sells that information for a much higher price.
>>
>>389484886
Thank god for that. When normalfags take over jap games, all is lost.
>>
>>389509052
agreed.
This is actually why I sometimes shittalk japan even though I am a huge weeb.
I will do everything to preserve the japanese spirit, even if it hurts my own soul.
>>
>>389508563
Who really listened to that kid though?
>>
>>389484886
Mafia 3 didn't sell 5 million you fucking faggot liar, it SHIPPED 5 million copies worldwide.
>>
>>389510218
Source: http://www.dualshockers.com/mafia-iii-civilization-vi-shipped-5-million-1-5-million-units-take-two-announces-financials/
>>
File: DI-7usLUIAEPF9F.jpg (102KB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
DI-7usLUIAEPF9F.jpg
102KB, 800x1200px
>>
>>389509179
>I will do everything to preserve the japanese spirit, even if it hurts my own soul.

Buying localized games is not a measure that will help, you have to go to the source and suck the dicks of the developers as they are making the game to help keep the spirit alive
>>
>>389484886

>There is no money in a game that sells 2 million copies

Yeah there is. If you're development costs are low. Not every game needs to be a triple A game with a billion dollar budget that needs 20 million sales just to break even.
>>
>Politics
>Sports
>Entertainment

"Pundits" are a meme across the board.
>>
>>389510440
>that face
>>
>>389506712
Not anymore with digital copies being a thing
>>
File: 1290060197931.gif (1MB, 532x372px) Image search: [Google]
1290060197931.gif
1MB, 532x372px
>>389509052
>capcom trying to appeal to wide audience and e-sports
>removing cammy's nipples
>r mika's butt slap, cammy's entrance camera angle
>making players use less revealing costumes at evo
>>
>>389510440

Jesus. Shame about that face and that beak.
>>
>>389487002
That's the fucking point. It's not.
>>
>>389511054
i think she's cute
>>
File: SmokeyBandit_072Pyxurz.jpg (177KB, 1600x863px) Image search: [Google]
SmokeyBandit_072Pyxurz.jpg
177KB, 1600x863px
>>389484886
Echoing everyone else's sentiments, what a hack fraud saying all successful games out of japland don't count because they're popular. Fucking mongoloid game journalists seem to be more and more abundant. Or maybe they've just become easier to spot.
>>
I thought mafia 3 was quite good. Fuck me I guess.
>>
File: wew.png (179KB, 538x601px) Image search: [Google]
wew.png
179KB, 538x601px
>>389496858
>500 MHz Celeron
>64MB SDRAM
>56K Fax/Modem
>>
>>389507745
Persona 5 had a huge marketing campaign in Japan. P5 is also a fucking joke, they can't even get basic walking to feel like anything besides walking on air, emulating friction is something even PS1 games could do.
>>
>spend less
>make less
>but still make a profit because you spent less

It's not fucking rocket science.
>>
Literally comes down to the simple fact that native games get more marketing
>>
>>389511754
>but how else can I afford muh $40000 espresso machine for 20 employees
>>
>>389512024
How else can you afford a space ship door?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBJ4RfkEPok
>>
>>389484886
just fucking gas him already.
>>
>>389484886
I'm not going to read that because I'm sure he's full of himself. But Neir Tomato, Bloodborne, Persona 5, and Hellblade will never sell as good as pos games like COD. Destiny 2 will sell because it also has a low ceiling skill cap
>>
>>389512720
Nier and Persona also have a low skill ceiling. Persona 5 has the lowest skill ceiling out of all the games you listed
>>
Persona 5 isn't AAA it's AA. 2 million for a game of that size on one console is fantastic especially for a JRPG that's turn based
>>
>>389508563
That kid was a quiet idiot who thought he was smart.
>>
But all my non weeaboo/nerd friends liked P5
>>
File: 1489949734654.jpg (85KB, 483x512px) Image search: [Google]
1489949734654.jpg
85KB, 483x512px
>>389486398
He's a basic troll.
>>
>>389513527
You must not have many friends because it only sold 1.8 million globally and most of that is Japan
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/olliebarder/2017/08/06/persona-5-has-sold-1-8-million-copies-globally/amp/

I doubt many people outside of ween enjoyed circlejerk simulator 5
>>
>>389511754
That doesn't matter to investors though, since they can't make big bugs with peanuts.
Thread posts: 177
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.