[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

con me into playing this I've wanted to play it for the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 4

File: baldursgate.jpg (11KB, 189x267px) Image search: [Google]
baldursgate.jpg
11KB, 189x267px
con me into playing this

I've wanted to play it for the last 15 years but I still didn't do it. I will be seriously impressed if you succeed but I doubt it. I never understood the combat and I probably never will.
>>
sit down and do the tutorial
actually do it
pay attention just do it
>>
>>389484531
Combat is ''reload until you get good dice rolls ie good rng''. These games are very overrated and overhyped. They're decent, but don't fuck with them if you have other shit to play.
>>
>>389484531
Most games slowly turn your brain into liquid shit. BG is not one of those games. It requires genuine effort, planning, and critical thinking. The difference is jarring at first, but if you can force yourself to start playing the game and find that you like it, you will open up an entirely new world of really great games to enjoy.
>>
File: 1489626121796.jpg (126KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1489626121796.jpg
126KB, 1920x1080px
>go digging around in my garage
>find my old baldur's gate manual
neat

wish i'd kept the box and the map though.

it's ok anon. it really kick started rpgs as we know them today. however it is mired in a lot of problems. it gets a lot of praise for the exploration but a lot of what i explored was kind of repetitive and bland. it also suffers from low level D&D syndrome where the roll of a dice can lead to your character unceremoniously dying. so get used to save scumming.

i don't think i've even finished it. i put a shit ton of hours into it recently (my dad had it when i was young, i tried it but it scared me). i think i got to the woods around baldur's gate itself but didn't actually go in. something about spiders pissing me off.
>>
>>389484774
what about min-maxing? Is it very punishing? Learning curve?

I want to enjoy an interesting and charming world, not get a master's degree in D&D and nerdology. If that game is anything like Grimoire it can go fuck itself.
>>
>>389484979
>Most games slowly turn your brain into liquid shit. BG is not one of those games. It requires genuine effort, planning, and critical thinking.
This is the opposite of truth. Though I suppose having to learn what dozens of tedious, soulless d&d spells do can count as 'effort'.
>>
>>389485265
There are builds that are op, there are weapons that are op, that's what min maxing comes down to. Like a dual wielding rogue with a certain katana in BG2. Also, when it comes to character stats, it's literally pressing a button until you get good rng and get more stat points to distribute.
>>
>>389485265
>what about min-maxing? Is it very punishing? Learning curve?
The game literally gives you characters. You only have to make one. Oh, and you can easily break the game with wands. The people complaining are extremely retarded.
>If that game is anything like Grimoire it can go fuck itself.
If you found Grimoire complicated you really need to sort your shit out. The only bullshit in that game is the glitches and occasional convoluted puzzle. That being said, BG 1/2 oozes atmosphere and character, Grimoire isn't about that at all.
>>
>>389485673
That's fine unless you are REQUIRED to have an op character just to finish the game.

I always hated games where you have to spend 2 hours in the character creation screen and have read manuals and FAQs for 5 hours just to survive the first damn hour of the game.

In a really good RPG you can pick whatever you damn want and still be able to have fun.
>>
File: 1494969568675.jpg (978KB, 1920x2485px) Image search: [Google]
1494969568675.jpg
978KB, 1920x2485px
rank these games

Baldur's Gate
Baldur's Gate II
Neverwinter Nights
Neverwinter Nights II
Pillars of Eternity
>>
>>389486059
You're not required to have an op character, not having an op character just means you'll need to reload the game more for good rng during combat, that's it.
>oh shit if I crit here I can kill this dude
>oh well let's reload until I do

>stepped on a trap
>shit, reload
>enemy got a crit and killed me
>shit, reload
>party member died
>shit, reload
>>
>>389486339
or you could just use magic
>>
>>389485926
The UI makes Grimoire basically unplayable unless you are an autist. I could forgive terrible UI in a game with 1 character, not with fucking 8.
>>
>>389486256

Baldur's Gate 2 > NWN2 MotB > Pillars of Eternity > NWN1 > BG1 > NWN2 OC
>>
>>389486546
good list
>>
>>389486546
What about icewind dale 1+2?
>>
>>389486484
Same shit
>enemy saved vs my spell
>reload
>I didn't save vs enemy's spell
>reload
>let's cheese enemies with fireballs while out of their line of sight
>>
>>389486059
>In a really good RPG you can pick whatever you damn want and still be able to have fun.

2nd edition D&D is not for you
>>
>>389486629
IWD is about as heavy on story/narrative as BG1 but you get to live that fantasy of a party of murder hobos roaming the frozen wastes exploring, looting and killing shit.
>>
>>389486629
IWD is good if you like the combat, it's very combat heavy. Not much to say in terms of story.
>>
File: 7zd8y.gif (1MB, 207x195px) Image search: [Google]
7zd8y.gif
1MB, 207x195px
I find Icewind Dale lacks the soul that the BG games seem to have. Still fun games to play if you cant get enough of infinity engine combat, and a nice expanded spell list for Druids. Also Siege of Dragonspear isn't so bad. Maybe too linear but i enjoyed it and I have been playing since before BG EE.
>>
>>389484531
>con me

Ok, you get free money in the mail if you play, with a bonus if you beat it and play the sequel
>>
>>389486339
>he didn't check for traps
>>
>>389487980
And you see that mountain? You can climb it.
>>
>>389488004
Checking for traps is a huge chore in BG, because unless you find a trap, you get no feedback if you have even searched yet.
>>
>>389488004
Oh yeah, setting your thief to stealth mode and sending him forward solo to scan for traps and/or enemies is such a fun component of the game. Might as well give him that celestial katana and solo the game with him.
>>
>>389486629
Different type of a game. IWD is basically oldschool dungeon crawler with isometric view, its almost all combat.
>>
>>389486256

But you already did...
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.