[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I can't understand the criticism of the Halo series before

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 192
Thread images: 15

I can't understand the criticism of the Halo series before the installment of Halo Reach. Would anyone care to enlighten me with mature and legitimate criticism?
>>
Its shit.
>>
>>389476464
Halo 1 had some hilariously repetitive level design. Beyond that, I though 1-Reach was pretty good. By no means my favorite FPS franchise but pretty fun.
>>
>>389476464
It's extremely casual
>>
repetitive level design
extremely slow-paced

go play quake, Unreal, Half Life, or even Perfect dark, then you'll realize how slow Halo is
>>
>>389476575
>Halo 1 had some hilariously repetitive level design.
I remember that now that you remind me. The Library was the worst offender, with the Flood not being very fun to fight.
>>
But what about Halo 2 and 3, or ODST? Are they really deserving of so much hate?
>>
Why has no shooter surpassed Halo in terms of vehicle gameplay in all these years?
>>
>>389476464
retards blame halo for making casual fps popular even though it didn't.
>>
>>389477847
I always thought that argument was tantamount to platform wars.
>>
>>389477847
Halo made console fps popular and seemingly viable, which led to the genre being dumbed-down to perform on those platforms in the same way, as seen with CoD.
>>
>>389476464
>Halo Reach
Reach was good though.
>>
File: 1502025764765.jpg (38KB, 440x631px) Image search: [Google]
1502025764765.jpg
38KB, 440x631px
>mfw always tried to get allied elites infected because it turned me on for some reason
>>
>>389478208
I suppose I'd give it that. It was good, but not better than that.
>>
>>389476852
>Perfecr Dark
>Faster than Halo
Aaah come on now you are just shitposting. While I agree PD is a better FPS than Halo they aren't simply the same for fuck sake.
>>
>>389477628
>vehicles used both as a way for players to explore the world at a better pace and also as a high-utility combat element
>interactivity with AI, marines will hop in and drop one-liner quips, enemies will climb on and yank you the fuck out
>nice memorable variety (in the original game, with phantoms being the only good later additions)
>being given a mount after having to deal with difficult enemies on foot is a welcome relief and does not feel forced

and of course no game will ever recapture the magic of speeding away in a warthog with the other team's flag waving from the passenger seat. what a time to be alive
>>
>>389478284
>tfw when I disable my Elite Minor shields in Halo 3 just to see him get infected because I enjoyed watching Humans, Elites, and Brutes get infected by the Flood alive
>>
>>389478018
>which led to the genre being dumbed-down to perform on those platforms in the same way
Valve did it first on PC. Most of the shit that came after was just following their lead after CS blew up and dominated the market.
>>
>>389476464
While the criticism made since after Halo 3. The reason Halo 1-3 got hate was because PCunts got assblasted a console FPS was popular so they try to blame the trilogy as the reason their already shit genre became even shittier.
>>
>>389479147
*sense
>>
The art design for Halo 1 was better than the art design for Halo 5
>>
>>389479147
Halo CE and Halo 2 were on PC?
>>
>>389479345
Halo 2 Anniversary is an objectively better looking game than Halo 5 and it's fucking sad
>>
>>389479428
Yes, but PCunts were jealous of the series success before Halo 1 and later 2 hit the PC. Sonyiggers were even more jealous because they would never get a chance to play the Halo games.
>>
>>389476464
Halo has always been slow as molasses and filled with shitty guns.
>>
>>389479428
They were
>>
>>389479345
water is wet
>>
File: 596379.jpg (975KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
596379.jpg
975KB, 2560x1600px
Each game does have its own flaws that detract from the overall experience.
>Halo CE had that horrid level design in the 2nd half of the game and the flood is boring to fight
>Halo 2 had the Arbiter levels which were mostly unmemorable, still has the flood, shoved in awful bosses for some reason, and the brutes are shit
>Halo 3 has boring encounters outside of the big sandbox fights (like fighting the two Scarabs at once on Covenant), equipment is either useless or broken, still has the fucking flood, and Cortana is a really awful level.
>Haven't played ODST since it came out but all I can remember disliking is that you never actually felt like you were an ODST
I still love the games but they aren't perfect. They obviously have a lot of love poured into them though and that's what makes them stand out to me.
>>
>>389479634
I don't know about you, but I felt the weapon variety and balance was pretty decent.
>>
Original Halo is still in my top 5 singleplayer fps along with Quake, Half-Life, Powerslave and RtCW.
>>
File: IMG_8714.jpg (58KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_8714.jpg
58KB, 800x800px
It's contrarianism. I've been here even when you got straight up banned for halo threads, i've played all the classics growing up and used to be the best of my friends at quake. There is no reason to hate halo. It's pure fun with a low barrier to entry but high skill ceiling. The whole "speed" argument is stupid. That's not a prerequisite for a good fps, it's personal preference. In my opinion, halo encourages skill in aiming rather than reaction times. I honestly believe halo 3 is one of the greatest games ever made and i'm no pleb, it's literally a perfect MP shooter. You may not like it, but it doesn't make me underage or of shit taste. It's genuinely well designed.
>>
>>389479742
Doom, Quake and Half-Life aren't perfect, too.

Well, original or maybe Ultimate Doom is kinda close to perfection.
>>
File: 1468477035644.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1468477035644.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>389476464
Level design is mediocre at best and downright irritatingly bad at worst. It's linear as hell but doesn't do anything to make it interesting like puzzles, obstacles or even communicate the feeling of a journey like Half-Life did and most of the levels aren't wildly unique enough to make the linearity refreshing at all. Compare the level design of Halo to something like Quake, classic Doom or even modern Doom and you'll see how laughably linear and boring Halo's levels are.

In combat, regenerating health removes a lot of tension and strategy. It reduces health management to a game of peakaboo rather than any extra level of thinking that comes with other health systems. Admittedly, regenerating health works pretty alright with the flow and style of combat in Halo so it's not as glaringly bad as in other shooters, however it'd still be better served by a different system. Same goes for the combat speed, whilst obviously everything else is designed around it and therefore it fits the flow of gameplay better, the fastest Halo games like 3 and 2 tended to have the better combat.

The two weapon limit, whilst not personally something that bothers me, to some limits the variety of gameplay as your approaches to combat can be limited, and also again simplifies resource management. It also means a lot, lot more disposable and forgettable guns that barely anyone uses as opposed to a specific set of weapons that can even become "iconic" and add an extra dynamic to the gameplay, see Doom and Half-Life.

Halo does excell in other areas, though. Atmosphere, characters, story and music particularly. The story isn't particularly deep or thought provoking like Half-Life or Deus Ex, but it's a very punchy/witty space opera with a number of notable emotional moments and memorable characters that tends to leave a warm impression.
>>
>>389479764
Sure, you can get any flavor of whatever well balanced gun you want, but they're all shitty.
>>
>>389479742
Tfw really liked the Arbiter levels.
>>
>>389479848
Same thing. Grew up with id, Epic and Bungie games. They were all great.

I kinda liked NuDoom, but it's a completely different game from completely different people.
>>
>>389479848
>when you got straight up banned for halo threads
That was thing on /v/?
>>
>>389476575
there's 3 cases where that's true: assault on the control room (and two betrayals since it's the same level) and the library
but it isn't as bad in the first two since you're still fighting covenant, it's only so shitty on the library because the flood are so boring to fight
the best thing SPV3 did was add covenant to the library, it makes it much more bearable to play
>>
>>389479442
It's ridiculous and I don't understand it. 343 are the kings of incompetence.
>>
>>389479742
>he plays games for the mechanics and not the story
>>
>>389480002
You mean the fact that enemies can take more than 5 bullets in Halo bothers you?
>>
>>389480065
I got public banned for defending halo once.
This place used to be a lot different, it was a lot more culture driven than it is now.
>>
All the people in this thread whining about the singleplayer while the multiplayer is all that matters.

Halo is objectively the best multiplayer console FPS of all time. Of course, that's not saying much considering the console part, but it's still an achievement.
>>
>>389478756
>tfw no game will ever recreate that feeling of playing infected on sandtrap
>driving around in squads of warhogs as your passenger and gunner gun down wave after wave
>that feeling when your gunner and your passenger are killed and you spot a warhog with a gunner but no passenger
>tfw when you drive right along side of it, jump out of your warthog and get in the passenger seat of the other without stopping
>tfw no game will ever let me experience this again
>>
>>389480172
>it was a lot more culture driven than it is now.
No wonder /v/ is such a mess, it tries to cling to feelings more than reason. The culture needs to revolve around video games as a hobby, including proper criticism of games, series, and the industry.
>>
>>389479442
H2A was based on Bungie's concept art
>>
>>389480169
I was thinking more about the accuracy of the guns, but the shield regen certainly doesn't help the combat any.
>>
>>389480296
Multiplayerfags are cancer and to blame for 343's direction being garbage.
>>
>>389478691
i never said they were the same. i said PD is faster and better. and it is
>>
>>389480296
Campaign is the entree, multiplayer is the desert.
>>
>>389479902
Yeah, each game has its own flaws. I won't deny a lot of the hate Halo gets stems from how popular it is, but at the same time I don't think it's as amazing as people make it out to be.
>>
>>389480436
I can agree. The Assault rifle and the SMG are stupidly inaccurate to the point where the multiplayer weapon sandbox is limited to power weapons and headshot capable weapons.
>>
>Good
Halo CE
Halo 3: ODST
Halo Wars
>Bad
Halo 2
Halo 3
Halo: Reach
>>
>>389480442
>better
It plays like shit with silky smooth 15 fps. AI is dumb as fuck and all dem animations can't make up for it.

And I really never understood the praise for leveldesign. As far as console FPS goes, Turok and Powrslave have miles better levels.
>>
>>389480437
Halo 2 had bad single player, but god-tier multiplayer.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>389480692
>ODST and Wars
>good
>Halo 2 and 3
>bad
Kill yourself
>>
>>389480802
>Halo 2 had bad single player
I enjoyed it more than HL2, DOOM 3, Far Cry and Chronicles of Riddick.
>>
>>389480296
Bungie is notorious for telling their fans what to believe. They're subtle about it, but anytime you see a vidoc of theirs you need to keep in mind they are trying to plant in peoples minds ideas of how the game "works" rather than letting people figure it out for themselves. They are very good at pushing a narrative through promo material to set a status quo in the community that sort of becomes embeded.

It's sort of like how Halo 5 is now considered returning to being an Arena shooter, even though it never really was. But due to the push for Arena in H5 it's pretty much accepted as one now by the community.
>>
>>389480802
You can't, Halo 2 was the original Halo 5.
>>
>>389480802
played h2 campaign recently and you're kinda right on the first part, there's a lot more wrong with it than h1 playing both on legendary
>>
>>389480939
Halo 2 is beyond redemption in so many areas there is nothing I would want to do with it, other than completely gutting it and patching it back together. Even then, it's level design is piss poor and there is nothing that can be really be done with the core bones of it are rotten.
>>
>>389480983
Bungie's lies are why I hate them today.
>>
>>389481041
https://youtu.be/WeuHcCEVMoc
>>
>>389479939
>shields are bad
Shields actually let you turn the tide of an encounter instead of whoever shoots first is almost guaranteed a kill
>>
>>389481128
What are Bungie's lies?
>>
>>389481223
I'm talking about singleplayer, not multiplayer. It works well in multiplayer.
>>
>>389481075
No offense, I would have loved for Halo 2 Anniversary to be a complete reimagining of Halo 2. Halo 2's campaign really needed it. I also wished 343 did the same to Halo 1 as well but to a smaller extent.
>>
>>389481323
give it 30 years.
>>
>>389481261
Halo 2, ODST, and Reach
>>
>>389478756
God damn the original Halo series was good.

I grew up on PS1 and PS2 like most people here, but you would have to be a colossal faggot to think OG Halo was bad. I'm sorry you had no friends from 2000-2007.
>>
>>389476464
Weapon limit makes no sense in a sci-fi shooter, only makes combat more repetitive and restricted, all for the sake of trying to make it look tacticool when it's just an alien shooter, in later entries you rely entirely on health regen which turns the game into a slow paced campfest, something that also makes it feel repetitive. Other than that is ok but nothing really exceptional if wasnt for the MP.
>>
>>389476464
Halo 1 was too simplistic in level design and story.
Halo 3 took all the deep lore, political intrigue and adult themes from Halo 2 and threw them all out. So it was another generic run-and-gun sci-fi game.
Really only Halo 2 was really fucking amazing amongst the originals. Not saying the new ones are any good either though, although Halo 5 multiplayer is pretty fun.
>>
>>389478756
Don't forget AI being smart enough to jump out of the way of a speeding Warthog instead of standing there shooting at it like morons
>>
>>389481835
Actually, I like having to choose between what two weapons I want to use. The (somewhat arbitrary) restriction makes me think about what will be the best selection for an upcoming engagement. I think it adds a bit of a strategy element to the game.
>>
>>389481835
>Weapon limit makes no sense in a sci-fi shooter
Yes it does. Where would Master Queef keep a dozen rifles?

>rely on health regen
Maybe you do
>>
>pfft. Halo? Try a real shooter like quake, kid. Then you'll know what a good game is like.

this was all of the halo criticism before nostalgia started setting in
>>
>>389481951
except for jackals
>>
>>389476464

We didn't know how good we got it before it was gone. Now we have Destiny 2 with less content and P2W.
>>
Slow, simplified movement
Popularized the 2 weapon limit
Popularized regenerating health
Invented DLC
Invented modern aim assist
Not enough map pickups
>>
File: 1334105468037.jpg (543KB, 2560x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1334105468037.jpg
543KB, 2560x1600px
But Reach was good.
>>
>>389481916
Halo 2 was linear piece of shit with a lot of scripted garbage and almost none of the freedom that Halo 1 and 3 had. Arbiter's missions were shit and the game would have been better without them and the focus on story killed the gameplay and level design in the game. It also didn't help that the difficulties were fucked along with Brutes, Flood, and Jackal Snipers sucking. The shitty cliff hanger ending along with Chief's story getting hijacked was the final straw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFQTqzQq9xc
This is the Halo 2 we should have gotten.
>>
>>389482478
It was decent after the patch, arguably pretty fun with ZB settings. The base game was shit.
>>
>>389482439
Sega invented standardized DLC for the Dreamcast
>>
>>389482609
Scripted?
>>
>>389482664
Paid DLC?
>>
>>389482439
>Invented modern aim assist
aim assist existed long before halo, but your other points are solid.
>>
>>389476852
Not all shooters need to be fast paced. That's half the point of Halo. You have to be consistent and pick your battles.
>>
>>389482478
Reach was fucking atrocious from playlists, armor abilities, and weapon placement. I'm still fucking mad there was no big team battle.
>>
>>389482736
Scarab and gondolas
>>
>>389482439
That's kind of needed to make first person shooters fun with a controller. It's not as auto-aimish as many other shooters like Call of Duty.
>>
>>389482820
Modern aim assist. Where your reticle would slow down and stick to enemy players. Not like Goldeneye where it would just snap between targets.
>>
>>389482765
Iunno I didn't own a Dreamcast
>>
>>389482857
This
>>
>>389482915
That Goldeneye example is straight up lock-on
>>
Something that has always bugged me is how dogshit the weapon balance is. In CE every gun did something different even if the magnum was still the best gun way too often, but in 2 & 3 that was dropped and it was just normal guns vs power weapons and the former weren't all distinct.

There's basically zero reason to actually hold onto anything but a BR, Carbine, or Plasma pistol in 2 or 3 in multiplayer other then power weapons.

Call 343 shit all you want, but the fact that almost every gun can actually do it's job in 5 and they are doing a weapon overhaul that will make weapons even more distinct, the AR to actually reward skill and accurate fire, and the BR etc to not be good at everything is great

>>389476575
This

Halo is my favorite franchise of all time but CE is seriously overrated and it's single player campaign is seriously flawed. It's like the bad missions in 2, but almost the entire campaign.

>>389481075
I'd like to see you clarify, because H2 has IMO the best single player in the series. It's got some pretty low lows but everything that's not a low is a pretty damn good high, and it's also easily got the best writing.

>>389481916
this guy gets it

>>389476852
>>389478691
>>389480442
What made me realize how slow halo was was as a bad thing was Halo 5, actually. I obviously knew Halo was slow relative to other arena shooters, since I did play a bit of the UT games at various points, but I always thought it was a pro/con thing and that Halo's slowness gave it more of a chance to have meaningful tactical decisionmaking in the middle of firefights.

And relative to other arena shooters, that's true, but H5 was faster and it's movement mechanics well implemented in a way that IMO preserved that and it feeling like Halo, and whenever I replay CE, 2, or 3, I honestly wish it had gotten thrust and the faster movement speed and some of the other things earlier in the series, and wish it was faster.

If only 5's campaign wasn't so dogshit.
>>
>>389478330
Someone clearly did not play Reach custom games during the golden days.
>>
>>389482736
Those were scripted entities true, but not scripted sequences. Go look at shit like Tomb Raider for that
>>
>>389483081
That's because I played Halo 3 custom games instead.
>>
>>389483018
Halo 2 and 3 sorta had the excuse of dual wielding homogenizing every weapon. But they did get lazy for Reach where that didn't exist.
My main problem with Halo now is that there are too many guns. A good shooter never needs more than a dozen.
>>
ODST > Reach > 2 > 1,3 >>>>>> 4,5
>>
File: 1460659499898.jpg (77KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
1460659499898.jpg
77KB, 256x256px
>>389476870
>The Library was the worst offender
>not Two Betrayals
>>
>>389482073
You can choose two weapons as well in shooters without restriction, in fact in most shooters you will be using 2 or 3 weapons mostly, but that moment when you needed a special weapon for particular cases, that's what missing in space CoDs like halo. Less weapons only make combat more limited and strategies less varied.

>>389482080
It doesn't make sense gameplay wise. Unless the game is trying to pretend to be something more than an alien shooter, which honestly isnt. Gameplay is way too basic.

The game is built on campy slow combat, doom 2016 got it right by encouraging the player to keep moving.
>>
>>389483273
library is way worse than two betrayals
>>
>>389483273
I felt the level design and combat was more interesting, despite being recycled from earlier missions. The Library's level design felt like something made in forge world by a 13 year old.
>>
Remember Halo 4 guys? Me neither. What a piece of shit. It was so bad it made Reach jump in population instead.
>>
>>389483274
>The game is built on campy slow combat
Maybe you should stop camping
>>
>>389481323
>Halo 2's campaign really needed it.

Explain?
>>
>>389483274
>It doesn't make sense gameplay wise.
It does from the multiplayer stance, since fighting over control of over the power weapons was essentially the meta.
>>
>>389483521
Are you implying that you don't fight over weapons with a bottomless inventory?
>>
>>389481421
What did Bungie lie about?
>>
>>389483395
Last time I play I remeber the library going by decently speedy while two betrayals just screeched the whole game to such a slow, repetitive, monotonous bore going through that same room a thousand times
>>
>>389483138
Hah, you can't even compare halo 3 custom games. Less objects so you basically just remix the same tired maps again and again instead of creating maps from scratch. Less than half the gametypes so you can't make anything truly unique. Reach had the best custom games hands down, no contest. Too bad you will never get the chance to play them since the days of reach are over and everyone moved on.
>>
>>389480124
>SPV3 did was add covenant to the library,
I thought SPV3 wasn't out yet, and the demo only went as far as Silent Cartographer?
>>
Does Halo 2's campaign deserve the hate?
>>
>>389483614
I never thought I'd see the day when there's underageb& on /v/ who didn't even play Halo 3.
>>
>>389483623
https://www.mediafire.com/file/jy6nfbnrwnqhtb9/SPV3.1.0f.zip
>>
>>389483274
The strategy is in choosing what you will have to work with later. If you make a mistake and choose poorly, you'll have a harder time. The reward is choosing the best two weapons for a situation, and getting through. Some people just like that.

>>389483614
More isn't always better.
>>
>>389483521
>fighting for control over power weapons
>dumb hue hue kids go for the rocket launcher and try to hit me instead of the ground near me
>pick them off with 3 shots from a pistol
>accuse me of cheating and hacking the game
The Halo CE trial was fun
>>
>>389483589
There are a few nitpicky things they made claims of in vidocs and other media, usually minor stuff that either got changed or removed from the game between alpha and full release. Not nearly as bad as the lies from destiny.
>>
>>389482439
>>389482820
>>389482915
>Popularized the 2 weapon limit
>Popularized regenerating health

These aren't bad things because as Halo did them, it was executed well. It's the other game's fault for fucking it up.

>Invented DLC
Wrong, and Halo's 2 and 3's DLC actually became free a few months after it first came out.

This isn't a bad thing as analog sticks inherently need aim assist to not be fucking garbage. Even with aim assist staying on target with a controller is harder then it is with a mouse.

The Goldeneye method is ACTUALLY lowering the skill ceiling and making it casualized, how Halo does it minimizes the casualization as much as you can and doesn't impact the skill ceiling at all, since top players actually disable the aim assist entirely since they are that good at dealing with the analog sticks.

>Not enough map pickups
Eh. I think CE and 3 had a good amount.

>>389482857
Reach DID have big team battle. Anyways, I agree the map's and playlists were garbage, but the core mechanics were fine, about on par with 3 (better in some ways and worse then others) and the weapon balance was the best in the series since CE and the campaign was pretty good.

More importantly, it's forge and customs were amazing and it had an absurd amount of content and modularity in general. 99% of the problems reach has can be solved by just using forge and custom game options

>>389483448
4's mission design and soundtrack was alright even if it wasn't bungie tier, and the atmosphere actually did the same sort of thing CE's did, arguably better. The graphics from a technical perspective were also amazing for a 360 title and the weapon balance wasn't as shit as 2 or 3's.

But the story was trash, the art style, default MP modes and mechanics, forge, and customs was a huge downgrade. I don't think 4 is a bad game, but it's big step down from Halo: It's like a 7.75/10 title instead of a 8.75/10-9.5/10 like CE, 2, 3, ODST, and Reach.
>>
>>389483623
The entire campaign is out now with a custom launcher and 60fps support
>>
>>389483081
>>389483138
>>389483614
Halo 3 and Reach custom games were the golden days.

How was Halo 4?
>>
>>389483595
two betrayals is a long level and that starting bit is shit, but it's still alright since assault on the control room is a good level
the library is the exact same thing throughout the whole level, there's 0 variety, it's just shotgun camping corners to kill combat forms, occasional pistol sniping shotgun flood or carrier forms, and swapping out a weapon for a trash weapon to clean up infection forms
that's the whole level and it's awful
>>389483623
it's out and finished, came out on the 19th
10 levels plus an optional re imagining of silent cartographer, i beat the campaign on legendary and it was alright
>>
>>389483779
A link doesn't tell me anything.

Heck, the only thing I know about SPV3 is that Raycevick made a video about it. I don't know what game the mod is even for. Halo Custom Edition?
>>
>>389483735
>That feel when you came home and started your Xbox to receive like 4 invitations to party and to play Halo 3
I'm sad anon
>>
>>389483454
Or i could play a game that isn't literally built on cover camping.

Halo is a thing of the past, fast paced games are making a comeback, this are great times.
>>
>>389483503
See>>389482609
>>
>>389483857
From what I remember from my undergrad days when Halo 4 came out not a lot of people were interested after like a week. Pokemon X/Y was a much bigger thing next year
>>
>>389483892
it's for custom edition but it only worked for me when i used the installer that comes with spv3 after you run it, then install halo through that
there's a public key on steam too which worked for me
>>
>>389483840
>Halo's 2 and 3's DLC actually became free a few months after it first came out.
It was still one of the very first instances of charging money for content. And Halo 3's maps only became free a couple of months ago to prepare for putting them on Xbone backwards compatibility.
>>
cortana needs to shut the fuck up. worse than alia.
>>
>>389483735
I'm 27, halo 3 shill. So much for underage, I simply have better taste in games than you, that and friends, I mean playing custom games solo must be pretty boring. I played Halo 3 custom games, most of them were boring infection maps, clunky race tracks, and half arsed "challenge maps". Every custom game on Reach was higher quality, mainly because the forge wasn't tacked on, it was a full fledged feature.
>>
>>389483692
Yes
>>
File: flooded-archives-26.jpg (157KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
flooded-archives-26.jpg
157KB, 600x338px
>>389483912
Just because you're a camper, doesn't mean the game is build around camping

Where are the hallways with conveniently placed chest high walls?
>>
>>389484089
>I simply have better taste in games than you
>likes reach
>>
File: 1369415923811.jpg (380KB, 1684x765px) Image search: [Google]
1369415923811.jpg
380KB, 1684x765px
Basically Halo is responsible for popularizing infinite health and two weapon limits in games. Its not the first title to do either of these things but it is the title responsible for it being popularized

And Half life 2 is the PC equivalent of Ocarina of Time for mustards so they see any other successful shooters as an enemy. Especially console shooters.
>>
>>389484035
You have any recommended pirated versions of Halo Custom for downloading mods?
>>
>>389476464
Playing Halo Custom Edition is one of my favorite memories.
>>
>>389484149
Just google search a product key and use the official installer
>>
>>389483796
Higher quality maps and custom games are though. Because Halo Reach had a focus on forge and custom games, it wasn't tacked on so good creators could actually make good maps and minigames.
>>
>>389476464
it's slow and boring compared to other shooters
>>
>>389484138
Half Life 2 Deathmatch was a lot of fun.
>>
>>389484149
well i had a couple cracks but they weren't working with spv3, kept getting invalid keys
so i removed them, got spv3, installed custom edition through spv3 since it comes with a custom edition install, used the key i found from here https://steamcommunity.com/groups/halo1combatevolved/discussions/0/666826703565723375/ and i didn't get the invalid key anymore when i played spv3
>>
>>389484132
Only confirming it.
>>
>>389484215
There's an official installer for Halo Custom? I thought it was physical copies or bust.
>>
>>389483840
The only time I had fun in halo 4 was when I was using the covenant carbine to headshot motherfuckers across the map in both spartan ops and multiplayer.
>>
>>389484339
You're the one trying to feel superior while defending grey rehashes of Halo 3 custom games, and Speed Halo of all things.
>>
File: XHBa71Tg.jpg (77KB, 702x1024px) Image search: [Google]
XHBa71Tg.jpg
77KB, 702x1024px
>>389483081
As someone who enjoyed Reach for many years, its custom games were never on par with those in 3. Halo 3 custom games were a phenomenon that will never be repeated for the rest of gaming history.
>>
>>389484229
The custom maps were higher quality, but they lacked much of the imagination that Halo 3 had. Sometimes the little bumps in the road make the ride more enjoyable.
>>
>>389483081
>>389483138
>>389483614
>>389483735
>>389483796
How much fun customs were was directly proportional to how many friends you had to play with on them. I had friends across 2, 3, and reach for them. For 2, I had IRL friends and the early xbox live envoirment where you could join customs with strangers and they would't kick you. For 3, I had Bungie.net friends, and for Reach, I had Halo general.

Reach > 2 > 3 for customs.

2 didn't have forge, but the lack of tools forced creativity: The best custom modes in the series come from it. Obviously zombies/infection, but also cat and mouse, troy, tower of power, etc. (Jenga and Speed Halo are the other top tier ones, from 3 and reach respectively). Plus, the early xbox live community was god tier and it made organziing or getting into customs super easy. Modded lobbies were also insanely fun

3 had forge, but it was clunky and ineffective. There was a great amount of creative maps that worked past the clunkyness, but it just didn't have enough of a limitation to really force creaitivyt the way 2 did, nor was the forge itself good enough to truly allow the creativity to go wild, so it's stuck in the middle of both extremes. Not to say 3's customs were bad, they were still god tier, just not quite as good.

Reach on the other hand had such an improved forge and such an insane amount of custom game tools that if you had an idea, you could pretty much do it provided you have the time and autism for it. It allowed ideas to go wild and had a ton of creative and fun modes, more then 3 did by a huge amount.

Beyond that: 4 was a step down from reach due to less options and the forge not being as good. I'd say that in theory it should have been between 3 and reach, but the lack of populatiuon and people to play customs with meant it was slightly below 3 in pratice. More of the same deal with H2A: It actually was BETTER then reach in customs and options, insanely versatile, but nobody played it.

1/2
>>
File: 248230995.jpg (216KB, 590x322px) Image search: [Google]
248230995.jpg
216KB, 590x322px
>>389484138
>major add
>only two of those titles are non-sports
>one of them is based off a comic series
>the other is a pop star
This just confirms that there was never a 'good old days' and casuals have been a thing in game since the start.
>>
>>389484341
Nah it was digital only released by Gearbox after they ported Halo to PC
It needed a product key from the PC version ton install though, and was multiplayer only but allowed custom maps
Gearbox also released the dev tools for modders to go nuts with

Obviously custom menus were created to bring back the campaign option. It was even patched a couple years ago after GameSpy shutdown and to add support for higher resolutions and widescreen
>>
>>389484507
>press forward once and barrel down a ramp forever
>best at anything
>>
>>389483081
Reach didn't have flying Elephant fortress battles though.
>>
>>389484571
Huh. More you know.

You mind linking me to the official website and a keygen?
>>
>>389484507
cont, also to reply to >>389484428 and >>389484474

halo 5 is interesting, because it's forge is nearly a dev tool. It's got texture editing, prefabs and object grouping, and you can share said groups/prefabs, there's weather and time of day effects, programming and scripting tools (webm related) placable sound and visual effects (like sparks or flames) as well as a whole bunch of other bullshit. The actual custom game options that exist are insane as well.

But, again, population and people to play with is an issue. But 5's forge is so amazing and the custom potential is so high I think it makes up for it.

>Halo 3 custom games were a phenomenon that will never be repeated for the rest of gaming history.

I'd argue this is moreso the case of 2's customs then 3's. by Halo 3's era, the xbox live community had settled down and become more insular. It wasn't all the way, but it was noticable not as open to random bullshit like the early days were.
>>
>>389483796
I rather have a game that lets me choose the best strategy to deal with the enemies i am dealing with and is built around that than a game that limits my choices, limited choices also means less combat variety. Halo creatures aren't exceptionally fun or rewarding to fight against not because the AI or mechanics are bad but mostly because the simplistic combat design.
>>
>>389484642
http://hce.halomaps.org/index.cfm?pg=1&sid=38
Google the key, there are plenty out there, and install the v1.10 patch from Bungie's forums
https://www.bungie.net/en/Forums/Post/64943622

Then install the SPv3 mod using their installer
https://www.reddit.com/r/halospv3/comments/6umz3f/spv31_released_all_new_install_method_11_missions/

It's an old game but the mod is pretty intensive, so don't expect it to run on a laptop. Any gayman PC with a semi modern graphics card should be fine
>>
>>389484638
I remember a Youtube video of a really good Elephant skirmish of Sandtrap that had a mix of Dream On, Boulevard of Broken Dreams, and...fuck, what was the name of that song that had "About you now" in its lyrics"?
>>
>>389477628
>>389478756
This right here

To anyone complaining about the game being slow, the pace is perfect when you consider the importance of vehicles and the map sizes. That's what made it fun.

Taking all the features of the vehicles like speed and protection and adding them to the player is anti-fun and dumbed down.
>>
>>389485123
>Taking all the features of the vehicles like speed and protection and adding them to the player is anti-fun and dumbed down.
Give vehicles an equal speed boost to whatever you would give the player.
>>
>>389485032
The 1.09 version, right?
>>
>>389483018
Power weapons being better than the starting weapons is what makes the games fun. It forces players to try to control certain spots the map.
Also a smg and a plasma rifle will destroy even good players with BRs at close range. And you can always change the starting weapons through custom game modes.

>>389483018
>Halo is my favorite franchise of all time but CE is seriously overrated and it's single player campaign is seriously flawed. It's like the bad missions in 2, but almost the entire campaign.
I disagree, I thought all of Halo 2's campaign was bad (love 2's multiplayer though).
But can we at least we can all agree that Halo 3 had a great campaign?

>>389483273
Two Betrayals is one of my favorite levels due to the large flood/covenant battles.
>>
>>389484428
Oh I see, you never had friends to play the game with so you got sucked into the kids customs and are entirely basing your criticisms off that, you never actually played any of the good custom games.
>>389484447
Rubbish. I've played both and Reach customs were undeniably better, more intricate maps, more variety, more minigames. Anyone who genuinely believes H3 customs were better either did not get to experience the best of Halo Reach, or are looking at H3 with rose tinted glasses.
>>389484474
So a full map created from scratch, tuned to perfection and had a custom gametype tuned to work perfectly with the map is not imaginative to you? I'd love to know what game you played instead of Halo 3 then, sounds amazing.
>>
>>389476575
yeah instantly thought of the library
>>
File: 1499022142100.png (155KB, 792x719px) Image search: [Google]
1499022142100.png
155KB, 792x719px
>>389484089
>I'm 27, halo 3 shill
>halo 3 shill
It really shows
>>
File: Screenshot_20170906-170424.png (215KB, 1887x374px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170906-170424.png
215KB, 1887x374px
>>389485249
No the Custom Edition game. 1.09 is an outdated patch that still relies on GameSpy for online play. I think that patch was released to remove the Halo PC CD requirement to launch the game back in the day
>>
>>389476464
I dunno. It invented the fps genre.
>>
>>389485308
>I disagree, I thought all of Halo 2's campaign was bad (love 2's multiplayer though).
Not him but this
>But can we at least we can all agree that Halo 3 had a great campaign?
Hell yeah!
>>
>>389485051
>About you now
Wonderwall by Oasis?
>>
>>389483439
>reuse the torture chamber almost immediately after trapping the player in it
>only this time, add a tunnel the player can hide in while occasionally being assaulted by ambush-spawning carrier forms so it's far less of a threat
>>
>>389485237
If there is no feeling of slowness, then how are you supped to feel the rush of going fast?
>>
>>389484638
Literally one thing though. Reach had numerous superior gametypes.
>>
>>389485518
That's it.
>>
>>389485542
By going even faster.
>>
>>389484790
Halo 5 forge/customs was let down by lack of gametypes though.
>>
>>389484126
But it is, health regen instead of pickups means you can just take cover in the same spot and get your health completely restored regardless of how shit you did. Its the gayest, most gameplay and level design simplifying mechanic to ever come from Halo and im pretty glad a lot of shooters are already getting rid of it. Even slow shooters like fear would be garbage if they had that instead of medpacks.
>>
>>389485430
Thank you.
>>
>>389485543
>Implying anything was superior to flying Elephants
There was only one gametype Reach had that could compare, and that was Chess
>>
>>389485750
>Chess
Explain, in the form of a Youtube video.
>>
>>389485364
It's about the imagination of the person who plays the map, not the creator of the map. The more you fill in the gaps, the less there is for the player to wonder about. In my opinion, it's how the Forerunners were ruined.

>>389485638
I lose all sense of speed after playing a racing game for an hour. The game has to feel a little slow for people who want fast things (like most people today), because then going into vehicle is a real treat.
>>
>>389485876
It was a gamemode they joked about for an April's Fool Joke, that they then later made an actual gametype.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tI3e66ON_eM
>>
File: IMG-20170904-WA0013.jpg (11KB, 249x203px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20170904-WA0013.jpg
11KB, 249x203px
>>389485736
Have fun man
>>
>>389485750
Did you actually play any of the good custom games? ones that weren't "cops and robbers", "speed halo" or the dev made ones like chess?
>>
>>389486286
anon I was making a joke, relax a little.
>>
>>389485904
So basically you're saying you can only enjoy halo 3 customs if you imagine it's something better?
>>
>>389483692
Not even remotely. It was leagues better than 3's.
>>
>>389486372
It's hard to pick the jokers apart from the retards in here sorry.
>>
>>389476464
Halo reach is the best halo game.
>>
>>389476464
Slow, cheap kills and melee is too strong. Guess it needs these things when its a console FPS
>>
>>389486386
It gets my mind moving, that's all. Even if I'm wrong about the creator's vision, it gives me something to think about. Oh, and I was also literal about "bumps in the road" being enjoyable. If there's a bump in the terrain, you have to react to it.
>>
>>389486126
Best part about them making "chess" was the birth of the "insane" gametype that allowed some truly unique games to be made. In fact some of Reach's best minigames were made from that gametype.
Thread posts: 192
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.