[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just out of curiosity, How do you become good at games? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 15

File: 1387999871066.jpg (62KB, 495x640px) Image search: [Google]
1387999871066.jpg
62KB, 495x640px
Just out of curiosity, How do you become good at games? I'm not talking about just practicing, i mean what information do you seek in order to truly understand the game and theory craft. What information is important in shooters and RPGs. I suppose for fighting games it would be important to know about hit boxes, and the number of frames.
>>
Just follow the walkthroughs
>>
>>389471440
First you gotta learn how to L-cancel it reduces end lag to half. Then you gotta learn how to get butthurt after you lose in tourney and have a toxic personality
>>
Frame data.
Hit boxes.
Input lag.
Enemy patterns.

Understand these mechanics for any game, mixed with practice, and you will get good.
>>
File: 1310101452073.gif (199KB, 700x687px) Image search: [Google]
1310101452073.gif
199KB, 700x687px
>>389471440
Hard to say. I'm very passionate about the learning process of games, but it's difficult to put all of that into words.
Where to even begin... hm. I guess focusing on the 'systems' of a game is a good approach; as opposed to trying to take in the whole scope of things from the get-go, which will never work. So, get your basics down, choose a 'field of study', and branch out from there.
Another important aspect that's often in my mind is independent creativity. Do your own thing, dick around, y'know, try to have the fun the game is wanting you to have. Don't inherently follow guides from early on; again, that's too much 'whole scope of things'. If you put yourself in odd varied situations for long enough, you'll get your own grasp on how you yourself do at the game, and then maybe those guides are a useful reference that you can fully take in.
Feel free to ask something specific. I tend to do better with those questions.
>>
Reflexes, coordination, general healthy living. Like how all-night studying doesn't help your grades because you're not getting enough sleep, playing video games all day will make you worse at games because you're unhealthy. Get a good night's sleep, eat fruits and vegetables, exercise, and take a break every 15 minutes to stretch. A healthy lifestyle promotes success in all avenues of life.
>>
>>389471440
Learn the metagame. Maybe watch some pros, and try to understand why they make the decisions they do. In Fightan games, know your character's matchups. Shootan depends a lot on objectives and are usually team based, so effective communication is very important.

Also, you should know everything internal to the game. Frame data, hit boxes, combos for Fightan. Maps, weapon stats, etc. for Shootan.

If your reaction times are bad though you're always going to be limited. 17ms is the difference between reacting a frame earlier than your opponent in 60 FPS.
>>
File: 1109023399011.jpg (193KB, 739x1041px) Image search: [Google]
1109023399011.jpg
193KB, 739x1041px
I like that each of these replies is covering the subject in a different way.
Interesting reading.
>>
>>389471440
I want to FUCK Winry
>>
>>389473962
Good taste.
>>
File: 86668865.jpg (50KB, 845x475px) Image search: [Google]
86668865.jpg
50KB, 845x475px
>>389475408
>>
File: 1502818089475.jpg (59KB, 490x519px) Image search: [Google]
1502818089475.jpg
59KB, 490x519px
>>389471440
I don't know if somebody already answered but I focus on learning the mindset
e.g
>shooting games is the mindset camper or aggressive oriented
>fighting Combo or chip damage
>rpg defense or offense sometimes DPS or High Damage
most of the time in rpgs DPS always wins cause of moves that halve damage
>>
>>389471440
An interesting question, I find myself asking that with card games (ala yugioh), primarily deck building without having to netdeck.

I think the answer is somewhat universal.
>Start from the bottom
Thoroughly examine the base, fundamental mechanics, strategy and tools that a game provides. Have a deeper learning of those before working up into more sophisticated things.
>>
>>389471440
get off my board dean
>>
>>389471440
Examine any data you can find and put it into practice. You don't need to pick the entire game apart, but it doesn't help you in the slightest if you analyze that information without putting it into practice and seeing it in action. That applies to pretty much any game, though with RPGs, you mostly just have to manage buffs and debuffs properly.
>>
:)
>>
File: 1499706784025.png (421KB, 492x738px) Image search: [Google]
1499706784025.png
421KB, 492x738px
>>389471440
Why even try? Most likely you won't become a pro player anyway and no one cares about your skills until you're in the top 100 of the best players worldwide, so there's zero benefit in getting truly good aside from some dopamine rush - which you can probably get already. Why put in effort into something that is nothing more than a form of entertainment? You could learn something that would actually be useful in real life with the same amount of time and effort.
>>
File: Keira render.jpg (26KB, 429x600px) Image search: [Google]
Keira render.jpg
26KB, 429x600px
>>389473962
Mechanic girls are BEST
>>
File: Keira working hard.jpg (645KB, 1300x725px) Image search: [Google]
Keira working hard.jpg
645KB, 1300x725px
>>389478674
>>
File: Screenshot_106.jpg (47KB, 344x805px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_106.jpg
47KB, 344x805px
There are a few basic understandings:

>the very baseline summary of what "a good gaming experience" is
In equal amounts (I hear is best): energetic effort, focus, and mental quietness. With these, challenge can increase (extra input, requiring concentration, yet allowing silence.. fluidity) or tuning..

This is the formula for objective game critique (per genre, at least).

What genre?
>>
>>389478665
Because stealing nerd's ladder points is fun.
>>
>>389471440
Repetition mostly. Bayonetta was a good example of that. Every time I was in the loading screen I paused to do every move in the move list at least once. It helped me remember that some of those moves even existed and I would try them out instead of just mashing the same button over again. That is also the long term form of how to get good at fighting games. Learning all of your moves, what they do, and when it is a good idea to use them.
>>
File: 13304269304_109bda4e53_b.jpg (846KB, 789x1024px) Image search: [Google]
13304269304_109bda4e53_b.jpg
846KB, 789x1024px
>>389479283
>>
File: Keira santa girl.png (1MB, 691x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Keira santa girl.png
1MB, 691x1024px
>>389481312
>>
>>389478665
That is an incredibly shitty attitude on life. If you enjoy something, there is literally zero reason to not get good at it. It only enriches the experience. Most people won't give a shit about you until you become good at anything. Hell I work as a welder, and for structural work on buildings you only become qualified for work if you are capable of putting out welds that look just like the dudes who have already been doing that job for thirty years. Just because I did that doesn't mean I don't also try to be good at everything I do that doesn't make me money.
>>
>tfw anon is Keiraposting
>>
File: Keira expansion.jpg (537KB, 1396x1656px) Image search: [Google]
Keira expansion.jpg
537KB, 1396x1656px
>>389482606
Is that good or bad?
>>
>>389480070
I prefer to annoy the nerds when they take games too seriously. Same amount of fun if not more when you make them realize they're going apeshit over a stupid number in a video game when it's Friday night and all they have going on in their lives is getting mad that some guy on the Internet.

>>389481646
It's more about maximizing the ratio of effort/time to usefulness. Being good at games is just that - being good at games. Being good in programming gives you not only fun, but also an opportunity to create something amazing, meeting new people and making money on top of that. No one cares about you being good in a video games, but people will care if you're sorta decent at playing a guitar. Not only you can enjoy playing in solitude, you also have an opportunity to connect to other people - and that's even if you're not that great at it.

Video games will never give you that - hell, if you're too good you'll end up alienating people. I sometimes handicap myself and let my friends win because otherwise they'd get depressed about losing all the time. If they're better then I give it my all, but if they're way worse I don't utterly crush them all the time, it isn't even fun to punish and humiliate an opponent that isn't a dumbass on the Internet.
>>
If you play the game long enough you start to get a feel for things

While frame data and all that jazz can definitely help, nothing beats just sitting down and playing the damn thing
>>
File: 1488234264008.jpg (222KB, 504x470px) Image search: [Google]
1488234264008.jpg
222KB, 504x470px
>>389471440
Full metal alchemist is a shit anime, so is my hero academy.

Anime is trash in general, how the fuck do people like it?
>>
>>389471440
Make shitty let's plays of you playing hard games and learn to think on the fly. Doing commentary increases the challenge and it innoculates you to stress while playing. Here's a good example I made.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Vwpx72a5A
>>
>>389471440
You need to learn how designers think. It takes a while, but you just need to pick up on that type of thing.
>>
>>389471440
Get good
>>
>>389471440
PLAY
THE
FUCKING
GAME
It's that simple. Everything else comes with time.
>>
>>389483763
They have autism and a hard time understanding nuance. So when anime just repeats tropes and shallow character archetypes, it makes it easy to follow. That and the way the VA over act their lines and the exaggerated expressions make it easy for them to understand the characters' emotions
>>
>>389475408

>demotivators

god damn now I feel old
>>
trial by fire

anybody can read online how to get a GTR in puyo puyo but if you can't actually do it in a match then that's not really worth a damn now is it?
>>
>>389471440
Not everything can be achieve with just practice or knowledge anon-kun, it takes something that can’t be gained. Talent.
>>
>>389483416
But people do care if you are good at games, they just happen to be people who also enjoy those games. There have been a few fortunes made this decade by people who are competent at video games and video editing. Yeah if your only talent is being able to speed run Shovel Knight there is a cap on how high up the social hierarchy you can climb, but being pretty good at a few things can really take you some places. You brought up the guitar, but no one gives a fuck about you if you can only pluck a few strings. That is unless you are the best a plucking strings. The guitar players who are really famous are also talented composers, song writers, onstage showmen, and are usually capable of playing more than one instruments. Fuck even pop stars can look fuckable on top of being able to sing, which is usually way more effort than it seems. Playing games is a weird ground where they are both a consumption of a product as well as a performance, and at they very least you can make emotions bonds with other performers.
>>
>>389484059
This. I think Mei Ling in MGS1 tells you this explicitly. It's why you always look in every nook and cranny in a dungeon. There's a billion other examples, but it always helps to think, "How would someone design the optimal path through this obstacle."

Another thing Mei Ling says is to remember that it's a game and you're playing it for fun. If you're not "good" at a game, as in, you're not enjoying it at a low-skill level, odds are that you won't enjoy it at a high-skill level either. Even difficult games should be fun to play.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.