[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

should gaming journalists be "good" at the games t

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 116
Thread images: 20

File: rabiribidlc.png (384KB, 957x537px) Image search: [Google]
rabiribidlc.png
384KB, 957x537px
should gaming journalists be "good" at the games that they're reviewing?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3TKK1pIc2s
>>
>>389449346
only such that they are competent enough to understand all of the game's systems and mechanics.
>>
>>389449419
does that include jumping and dashing?
>>
>>389449445
yes
>>
>>389449346
Ok, imagine if you let a retard, not a metaphorical one, but an actual living breathing medically-certified retard, read a heavy novel, and then review it. Now imagine you are also told and forced to accept the retard's review as valid on the same level as a normal person's review. Now go further and imagine that the author gets fooled that this 1-in-a-million retard represents his readers and changes his writing for the book to baby language.
That's what's happening between game "journalists" and game devs today.
>>
>>389449927
what's the proficiency threshhold for reviewing games then? if you're reviewing streetfighter or broodwar, people will cry foul if you don't have like 10k hours clocked... but other people only care to learn about if the game is "fun.." is it more important to discuss core mechanics or the game's "funness?"
>>
>>389449927
Fucking nailed it

>>389450087
What's the pre-reqs to become a professional movie reviewer? I would expect some level of education regarding film and/or at least writing.

Game journalists should either be pros or gamedevs or have SOME involvement in the game industry outside of their reviewing career.
>>
File: 1490365809317.jpg (841KB, 2522x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1490365809317.jpg
841KB, 2522x1280px
>>389450208
just playing devil's advocate but some people will say that they want a noob's opinion on the game since they're noobs too..
>>
>>389449346
You need at the very least a basic understanding of the gameplay and the rules of the game, so if you clearly can't even play the damn thing I'm not gonna trust you.
>>
>>389450087
funness will depend a lot from casual to competitive players for those types of games

the more casual player will find more enjoyment in things likely unrelated to competitiveness such as balance and likely to find enjoyment in how polished a game is.

most likely if you asked someone to play super turbo today they will probably say that it's shit while most veterans will still adore it.
>>
>>389450285
>some people will say that they want a noob's opinion on the game since they're noobs too

then there's a billion reader reviews on sites like GameFAQs and shit. Pro gamers will also have more insight on whether a game has a high difficulty curve for neophytes.
>>
>>389450404
Pro gamers will also have more insight on whether a game has a high difficulty curve for neophytes.

i don't think that's true, SC2 is generally considered to be a noobfest by rts players but other gamers think it's hardcore and difficult to learn.. a lot of oldschool players are out of touch. same with the newest guilty gear
>>
>>389450285
Only an idiot would say something like that. Did you even bother to think that if you're a noob and he's a noob, then your opinion is just as good as his? So what he's doing is both pointless and makes no sense at all.
>>
Is Rabi Ribi worth buying?
>>
>>389450493
Yes, but I don't support games made by Chinese people. Before you get the wrong message, no, I haven't pirated it.
>>
File: ribi.png (101KB, 643x351px) Image search: [Google]
ribi.png
101KB, 643x351px
>>389450480
that's the arguement though, noobs want their purchasing decisions based on other noobs' perspectives.. for instance, sc2 has a lot of quality of life features that make the game easier to play from a noob perspective but worse from a competitive perspective, so the two viewpoints are at ends depending on what you want to get out of it
>>389450493
yes, it's great but very difficult at higher difficulties. mechanically it's the best metroidvania i have ever played though
>>
>>389449346
... well let me put it this way.i dont work as a reviewer or "videogamer" i mostly only play at weekends... and if i am better than a "reviewer" that play daily several games... then yeah he is not good at his job imo and should do something about it.. I dont demand esports level of skill BUT at least average like working person only weekend gaming average if thats not met i cant take the review seriously.
>>
Depends on the situation, after all it's all about the experience that you want to take out of the game and it helps that now there are different people will different interests and values that can recommend you stuff.

So basically you can play RR purely if you love cute and cheerful, you can also play it if you like to explore, serious bullethells and good
basic mechanics. Only for the last two do you need an opinion of a person who is good at the game.
>>
Reviews should have some gameplay by the critic attached to them se we get an idea on what skill level he is.

That or dividing reviews per skill level. As said above, some people might be interested in an existinf series so they want to read what someone with no clue will say about it, while more experienced players will wannt the pov of someone with knowledge and experience.

People were saying how slow and casualized MHW looked until someone with actual MH skills played it and we saw that it was pretty much the same as previous games.
>>
>>389450632
if you think it's a good or justified attitude for a person to base his/her purchasing decisions on the opinion of someone just as ignorant or as stupid as him/herself, then go ahead. I won't get anything out of expending energy and effort convincing you otherwise.
>>
>>389449346
that kid is adorable
>>
>>389450848
and naked
>>
>>389449346

Absolutely it should be compulsory to see their steam profile, accolades etc. The polygon gameplay of Doom showed these people have no fucking clue about games
>>
File: 1504569299127.jpg (68KB, 699x485px) Image search: [Google]
1504569299127.jpg
68KB, 699x485px
>>389449346
How do you get your own loli?
>>
>>389451072
be muslim
>>
>>389449346
why the fuck is this shitbag fairy so smug
>>
>>389449346
They should actually play alot of games just as a movie reviewer needs to watch alot of movies to have a fucking clue what they're talking about. With that in mind, if someone plays alot of games and is still fucking bottom tier at it then they should probably go do something else since their opinion is worthless. This is not very "progressive" however so some larger sites seem to believe a better approach is to find the worst player available for the review. Very inclusive!
>>
>>389449346
What a cutie
>>
>>389449346
What does Rabi Ribi have to do with the video?
>>
They need to have beaten battletoads, ghosts n goblins, and at the bare fucking minimum SMB1 and 3 all without cheats. I feel as though that's a bare minimum someone needs to understand and be a credible source to review platformers.
>>
There's being at a skill level the average joe can relate to, and then there's being fucking retarded. That cuphead guy is the latter.

I really really hope you didnt post rabi ribi cause some fucktard did the same for it.
>>
File: RR.jpg (240KB, 1490x838px) Image search: [Google]
RR.jpg
240KB, 1490x838px
>>389451432
it's the dark souls of metroidvanias
>>
>>389451617
More like the dark souls of muh dick.
>>
>>389450087
You should have some semblance of proficiency at playing them but the real talent required is analysis of what makes the game how it is.

It's like how you should ignore car reviews from people who haven't put a few hundred laps down in a race on a respectable track or ones without the mechanical prowess to analyze the package without driving it.

If you allow people who are not experienced in either of those drive cars you end up with shit where garbage cars get good ratings due to the manufacturers shipping them with the softest tires they can find and people thinking that going fast in a straight line makes a car good.
>>
>>389451617
no it's not you fucking shit
>>
>>389449346
Should financial reporters know anything about economics?

Should foreign bureau reporters know anything about international relations?

Should science reporters know anything about science?

Ideally, yes. However, media has been purchased by capitalists and is used purely to increase profits, not inform anybody. This is the normal state of capitalism.

Also, capitalism ruined vidya

just like everything else
>>
File: miru.png (599KB, 807x1079px) Image search: [Google]
miru.png
599KB, 807x1079px
>>389451734
>la mulana fag comes into a completely unrelated thread
FUCK OFF WITH YOUR SHITTY MYST-LIKE
>>
>>389451617
>>389451734
Fuck off retards. We all know that Hollow Knight is the dark souls of metroidvanias
>>
>>389451734
That's the bioshock infinite of dark souls
>>
>>389449346
Hollow Knight > Rabi Ribi
>>
File: DSP tries it; vidya reviewing.jpg (573KB, 1326x1075px) Image search: [Google]
DSP tries it; vidya reviewing.jpg
573KB, 1326x1075px
They should have brains that function at a sufficient rate to avoid things like this happening.
>>
If everything is the "X of Dark Souls" then what is the Dark Souls of Dark Souls
>>
File: kppy1nt53k3y.jpg (120KB, 1333x2000px) Image search: [Google]
kppy1nt53k3y.jpg
120KB, 1333x2000px
another video from the guy who made the video in the OP titled "B" is for Brainwashed... is he redpilled?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PPKFfi6I-oU
>>
>>389451890
Hollow Knight
>>
>>389451894
Is this a boy?
>>
>>389451890
I guess one could say it's bloodborne, the purest and greatest Kino ever produced in Japan
>>
>>389451793

>get hit
>freeze, frame stutter
>its a feature
>>
>>389449346
>>
>>389452061
Hollow Knight is better than Bloodborne.
>>389452094
I don't see the problem here. Just don't get hit.
>>
>>389449346
Its not really necessary to be very good at games to review them, but I've yet to come accross a game in which a basic degree of understanding of the core gameplay doesn't lead to an acceptable degree of competency.

In other words, reviewers don't need be naturally good, but They should be able to 'git gud' with some effort.
>>
>>389451793
It's a damn shame they used unity, still a good game, but significantly worse due to their poor game engine choice.
>>
>>389452123
Please tell me he's seen this
Please tell me at least one person at that rag has seen this, and knows that their co-worker is beneath even bird-brainedness
>>
>>389452249
Literally a design choice unity has nothing to do with it
>>
>>389452316
this bird didnt have to jump and dash retard
>>
File: 1503476566781.png (355KB, 540x643px) Image search: [Google]
1503476566781.png
355KB, 540x643px
They should be competent enough to have 100%ed the game they're reviewing, which sadly can't be said about a majority of game "reviewers", since they're pretty much all casual scum who are in no position to judge a game.
>>
that kid is pro. he even considers a double jump even though it's not a mechanic available.
>>
>>389452367
the bird could have flown but chose to limit itself out of sympathy for his opponent, retard.
>>
>>389449346
>should gaming journalists be "good" at the games that they're reviewing?
Yes, and they shouldn't be permitted to review a game unless they understand the mechanics in entirety. Maybe not to the level of some super pro speedrunner or challenge runner, but if I were to ask about a particular quality of a game, they had better have a real answer for it. For example, if someone gave the game a low review (Let's say Starcraft for example) and they mentioned how annoying it is to constantly keep scrolling against the screen to keep up with the units, and you made mention of the minimap, if their answer is anything other than "I do not know anything about what game I am playing", they are not fit to review the game.
>>
>>389451890
Dark Souls 2
>>
>>389452221
Hollow Knight is better than alot of games and as of right now better than every other metroidvania imo
>>
File: 1433031239381.gif (2MB, 280x200px) Image search: [Google]
1433031239381.gif
2MB, 280x200px
>>389451617
>>389451734
>>389451793
You all know Dark Souls IS a metroidvania, and are only making meta ironical jokes, right?
>>
>>389450468
I think in those cases they're overstating the difficulty of the old games since they love them and want them to be placed on a pedestal. Also those two genres have a very hardcore playerbase whose very invested in that genre and are wording their arguments towards other people like them. I think if pressed, they'd be able to look at from a less passion-fueled perspective and analyze the differences and how it'd treat a new player more accurately.
>>
You can't say you've been reveiwing/playing games for 15 fucking years and not figure out a fucking air dash mechanic. This is like someone who's been a mechanic for 15 years not knowing what a stick shift is or a professional football coach not knowing how many yards excessive celebration costs. These are things that can feasibly not be known to get into these positions but you simply can't call yourself a professional or expert if you don't fucking know these things, there's no excuse
>>
Even that fag Ian agrees that they should know how to play games.
>>
>>389452123
Reminds me of Game Grumps
>>
>>389454823
the guy failing so hard at cuphead really is a new low for gaming journalism.
its like a guy who writes for a car magazine but cant pass his fucking drivers license test.
>>
>>389456079
>the guy failing so hard at cuphead really is a new low for gaming journalism.
No, it is not you fucking retard. It is not lower than the Doom Polygon review.
>>
>>389456219
>1 minute to learn how to dash jump after 18 fucking years of existence withing gaming journalism
>26 minutes to only reach halfway through the first stage in a goddamn contra clone before calling it quits
That Nu-Doom playthrough was absolutely pathetic, but this easily takes the cake. I can at least put my hands over my ears and pretend that D44M had enemies moving around on a 3D plane and that might pose a mildly increased challenge.
>>
>>389456407
It wasn't even the reaching the halfway point that was the issue. It was the lack of aiming, the lack of moving and the lack of... being good. Not knowing you can use two sticks -- TWO STICKS! -- to do two things at the same time is fucking awful and shameful of any reviewer and any one above the age of six.
>>
>>389454823
>You can't say you've been reveiwing/playing games for 15 fucking years

He hasn't.
The 20 years of journalism in his profile is in the tech industry.
His professional experience is in announcing new computer chips and shit, why the fuck did they put him on vidya beat?
>>
>>389456219
I don't know. The doom reviewer was really really bad but at least he knew what he was supposed to do, he just lacked any sort of mechanical skill.
They both can't play games but the chinaman is way more retarded.
>>
>>389456534
My little brother has 5 years and autism and he can perfectly play Red Dead Redemption (although i had to hide the game when he began to kill people), this guy legitimately doesn't have any problem solving skills and/or he is just so lazy and uninterested that he needs everything to be told to him
>>
>>389450087
>what's the proficiency threshhold for reviewing games then?
being able to consistently beat most games on hard, with certain games like old school RTS or fighting games maybe being the exception in which case they should have no problem beating them in normal difficulty
>>
>>389450087
>>389457632
Also having an above average rank in at least two different genre multiplayer games.
>>
>>389457708
>Multiplayer ranks
Nah. In plenty of cases, you can just dickride the meta until you are Platinum/Master/Grandmaster/Whateverthefuck and then scoff to yourself about how everybody else are just a bunch of scrubs.
>>
>>389458003
>dick ride the meta
what?????
>>
>>389458072
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCRK25tiFU
>>
>>389458072
Basically just find out whatever "Meta" build/strategy/playstyle wins the most and keep doing that over and over again until you have a high winstreak. Hell, many games without proper balancing patches have broken builds that win like 50+% of games globally.
>>
>>389458003
Imagine how bad you have to be if you can't even do that. If you're going to work reviewing games for a living you should be able to play all kinds of games proficiently and that includes multiplayer.
>>
>>389458212
Getting between 45-55% is balanced enough. IF you want true, absolute balance no one will never play as it'd be literally nothing but 1v1 mirror matches.
>>
>>389449346
>Should chefs have a repertoire of tastes and dishes they have tasted in order to be able to put a new/different dish into perspective?
>Should writers have read many kinds and genres of books as to have a familiarity and sense to literary theory?
>Should a doctor have experience and knowledge about human biology in order to properly diagnose and possibly cure illness?
>Should a teacher be proficient in how to teach?

This is how you sound. Yes, a reviewer should at least have a rudimentary amount of skill to play video games. They don't have to be in the highest percentiles of performance and be 'good' in video games and better than other players but they at the very least should understand what makes games good.
If you're struggling with playing the game in the first place then you're probably not thinking about the 'below the surface' things.
>>
>>389449346
It was detrimental in Cuphead's case. The reviewer spent 26 minutes and didn't even manage to show what an average player would see in 5. If you are a consumer trying to get more informed about an upcoming game then you benefit directly from reviewers that are actually able to play the fucking game.
>>
File: 1311806189950.jpg (267KB, 795x720px) Image search: [Google]
1311806189950.jpg
267KB, 795x720px
>>389449346

>should gaming journalists be "good" at the games that they're reviewing?

I keep hearing the argument that a casual review gives good critique for casuals. If that is the case I wish that journalists that aren't proficient would make themselves known so those that have no experience can find them and those that have any could avoid them easily.

That is the only scenario in which I can excuse a review being clueless. Same applies to any other medium really.
>>
>>389450574
It was made by Taiwan you retard.
>>
>>389450574
It was made by Taiwanese weebs, idiot.
>>
>>389450493
I'd say yes, I liked it a lot more than Hollow Knight.
>>
>>389450632
Impressive, I managed to get dodge master from miru but noah and beyond was too much for me. Replaying after the dlc comes out and trying it again.
>>
>>389453084
Yeah my favorite part of dark souls is when i unlocked the double jump and wall climb retard
>>
>>389457708
>You also need to play LoL/DOTA!!!
No, fuck off. Part of the problem.
>>
o...m...g... anime titty....
game of the fucking year... 10/10 flawless
>>
File: beautiful-jesus-picture-smiling.jpg (419KB, 1139x1600px) Image search: [Google]
beautiful-jesus-picture-smiling.jpg
419KB, 1139x1600px
>>389449346
>Oh my gosh.
adorable
>>
File: 20170831_173730.jpg (2MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
20170831_173730.jpg
2MB, 2160x2160px
>>389451617
I want a tiny footfob from Ribbon. Is that so much to ask?
>>
>>389451734
I hated this game within 5 mins of playing it.
>>
>>389451894
is this a "muh dick" thread?
>>
>>389452000
_no
>>
Fuck you euroshits this game will never be release on us psn
>>
>>389452367
The bird also didn't have written instructions on how to compete the puzzle, and had to work in 3 dimensions instead of 2
>>
>>389449346
I think you should be able to complete the single-player portion of a game on the 'normal' difficulty to be qualified to review it.
>>
>>389449927
Then imagine what's like to do actual work in a 2-man team with an actual retard. Rather than injury or extreme exhaustion, I've gone through all of these, and I'd still take these over the retard
>>
>>389449346
not necessarily the game itself, for instance nobody is good at Soulsborne their first time playig the series, but they should at least have the basic core skills that most genres of games share. for instance being able to actually fucking aim in an fps, or understanding jumping and positioning in a platformer
>>
>>389465312
The bird is also a bird
>>
>>389451072
>>389451072
get laid
>>
>Nobody complains when sports journos are out of shape fuckers
>somehow game journalists are supposed to be good at difficult games, according to /v/
Yeah no
>>
>>389449346
Just downloaded it, what am I in for?
>>
>>389451617
>>389451734

Both Rabi-Ribi and La-Mulana are awesome metroidvanias
>>
>>389466182
Dean, the more you try to deflect it the more people will ridicule you for it. That's why we're here now, not because it's particularly funny but because you keep responding to it like an idiot. Or is this part of your social experiment?
>>
>>389466182
Sports journalists aren't regularly trying to sell you on paying for and playing football as a participant.
If they were, then I would expect them to be at least decently competent at it.
>>
>>389466182
False equivalence

A sport journo needs to know the rules, the players, and the basic strategies to comment on them.
The same way nobody cares if a vidya game journo doesn't know how to code.
>>
>>389449346
I was getting a little tired of people talking about this dude, but this video is pretty funny. That pigeon webm still takes the cake though.
>>
>>389466182
I don't know much about spots journalists but I doubt they can play sports on the same level as professional teams, and are probably expected to at least know the basic rules of whatever sports they talk about
>>
i don't check game reviews but i imagine the one and only stipulation to being a game journalist is to know how to play a fucking video game
>>
>>389458072
Some characters/builds/strategies are just flat out superior to the others allowing you to just do stuff you see other people do and coast pretty far. The only time you'll ever run into a real snag is when you start hitting the levels of people who are actually proficient which is well above and beyond the "average" player.
>>
File: IMG_5081.jpg (58KB, 640x706px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5081.jpg
58KB, 640x706px
>>389449346
They shouldn't be really bad.
>>
>>389450493
Two words
>bunny
>cunny
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (93KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
93KB, 1280x720px
>>389466691
Case in point, I climbed up to Diamond V as Vlad and I had to earn fight tooth and nail for that shit every step of the way. Then I got assblasted a bunch of times, lost a few ranks, got mad, and started over as pick related. I made it back up to Diamond rank in a single weekend because I only lost about a third as many games since Chel's kit is superior to Vlad's in every way until they were both adjusted.
WHERE'S MY LEAGUE FIGHTING GAME RIOT YOU BOUGHT RADIANT FOR A REASON
>>
File: 1465721079285.gif (2MB, 435x245px) Image search: [Google]
1465721079285.gif
2MB, 435x245px
>>389449927
So accurate it's scary.
Thread posts: 116
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.