[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

sup, /v/. I'm starting to get into dungeon crawlers and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 6

File: wizardry8.jpg (32KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
wizardry8.jpg
32KB, 460x215px
sup, /v/. I'm starting to get into dungeon crawlers and was wondering about Wizardy. Is it worth buying 6,7 and 8 together on steam, or should I just get 8 and see how I like it?
Also, what are some good dungeon crawlers? Please don't say Grimoire.
Thanks
>>
>>389410897
bump.
Should I just get Grimrock and forget about wizardry? I think i'll enjoy the old school style of wizardry more
>>
wizardry 6, 7, and 8 are a good start, yeah

i like demise: ascension a whole lot, and it has a demo you can play
>>
>>389411415
i didn't like the real time aspect of grimrock and kiting enemies and shit

up to you, tho
>>
>>389411417
thanks, anon. im looking for steam games specifically tho. i'll still check that out sometime
>>389411514
yeah, i definitely prefer turn-based combat
>>
find some working versions of 1,2, and 3. Play 4 if you hate yourself. 5 is great, but only after 1,2, and 3.

I love the Wizardry series and I think going first to grimrock would be a mistake.
>>
>>389411810
are 1, 2, and 3 better than 6,7, and 8?
>>
File: Capture.png (43KB, 294x118px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
43KB, 294x118px
>>389411640
elminage gothic's pretty good. kind of mean about not letting you look at the map and also having insta-kill enemies, but that's basically the wizardry experience right there
>>
>>389411896
they're not quite as involved (and of course you're not going to get good graphics), but they're just as good imo
>>
>>389411896
Yes, and anyone who says differently only does so because they can't figure out how to get 1,2,3 to work on modern systems.

For that matter, go to GOG and upvote the wizardry wishlist to try to get 1,2,3 to modern systems so they work better and can reach a wider audience.
>>
>>389410897
go to the /vr/ HoMM general and get all of the might and magic games for free off the pastebin
>>
>>389410897
Didn't you just ask this yesterday or the day before?
>>
>>389410897
Play Might and Magic instead. 4+5 for oldschool, 6-8 for a bit more modern.

Wizardry was made for masochists who don't mind restarting after 10 hours of playing because they didn't level perfectly and now same level enemies are unkillable.
>>
>>389412231
Pretty sure I've seen him make a similar thread a week or two ago as well
>>
>>389412330
lol wut

you have to go out of your way to suck that hard at wizardry
>>
Wizardry 8
>Good graphics and interface
>Tactical turn based combat, billions of loot
>Gorillion personalities for your snowflake PCs
>open ended branching quest paths
>atrocious level scaling
>late game fights take forever
>endless enemy spawning, never catch a break, even the towns are not safe

Might and Magic VII
>Dated sprite graphics
>Billions of party combinations
>Cool places everywhere
>Two major path branches
>Can change between real time and turn based
>Well balanced (except if you don't have a cleric)

Legend of Grimrock
>no town, only dungeon
>clever puzzles
>restricted movement
>boss fights are quite intense
>you're not playing dungeon crawler, you're actually playing DDR
>>
>>389414101
VI > VII
and VII balance is completely fucked
>>
>>389414231
Really? I thought VII was an improvement over VI. The quests felt more refined, spells felt more balanced, and you can watch NPCs fight each other. There's more replayability too, was thinking about rolling a 4 archer party just to see what it's like.
>>
>>389414772
spells were anything but more balanced
what happened is they cranked up resistances on all the monsters but left dark magic the same so shrapmetal is even more overpowered than before while elemental magic is weak as fuck
the dungeons in VII are also way too small
if they kept the character building from VI and massive dungeons it would be the GOAT
>>
>>389415136
shit, I had no idea, all my spellcasters were on buff/debuff duty. Offensive wise slow and berserk was all I needed, just like heroes 3.
>>
>>389414772
Not that guy, but VII dungeons are just so disappointing. All of them are small, there aren't any epic dungeons like Darkmoor, Alamo, VARN.
>>
File: nandatto.jpg (362KB, 1314x985px) Image search: [Google]
nandatto.jpg
362KB, 1314x985px
OP makes me want to boot up Wizardry 8 again, but I can't stand vanilla. Are there any overhaul mods that's worth the trouble?
>>
Wizards and warriors is pretty nice.
>>
>>389410897
Start with Wizardry 6 and play through the trilogy. It's going to be hard as fuck to stay motivated in the beginning if you haven't played much from that era, but once you get over that hump you're going to love crawlers forever.
>>389411415
>Should I just get Grimrock and forget about wizardry?
Grimrock is shit and not like Wizardry at all. It is literally a mobile game. If you want a game like Grimrock but good, play Lands of Lore and then maybe move on to Dungeon Masters if you like that.
>>389411906
Please do not listen to this retard.
>>389412330
Maybe listen to this retard. Xeen and MM6 are good, too.
>>
Bump, I've also been interested in getting into dungeon crawlers lately, some roguelike suggestions would be fine too
>>
>>389415706
Just make sure at least to have WizFast
Speed up the battles to something like 20x, makes fights way WAY less tedious waiting for shit to just move around.
>>
7>6>2>5>1>3>4>8
>>
File: spook.png (309KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
spook.png
309KB, 640x480px
>>389416567
People meme about Wizardry a lot, but I don't think it's the best place to start and I don't even really think most of the games are all that memorable.

Lands Of Lore is probably my favorite. Fun maps that ramp up in difficulty at a fair pace, a lot of personality, (one of the characters is even voiced by Captain Picard) really charming graphics that were characteristic of Westwood Studios at the time, not too long, (maybe about 15-20 hours) and a really great soundtrack.
https://youtu.be/2np-2ZpbIoQ

If grid crawlers aren't too your like MM6 is pretty amazing. Great dungeon design, big world, very feature rich, and you can fight one million skeletons.
>>
>>389417452
>take gong
>ten billion spooks
fuck that place
>>
>>389417452
Thanks for the rec
>>
>>389415948
>grimrock is shit
Nah, Grimrock is fun as fuck even if 2nd one was easier with alchemist basically breaking the game.
>>
File: QWbBbYcvbEA.jpg (77KB, 604x603px) Image search: [Google]
QWbBbYcvbEA.jpg
77KB, 604x603px
>>389410897
I really enjoyed dying to cockroaches in the first boss fight.
>Almost cleared the first Dungeon.
>Feeling pretty bad ass after killing that giant crab and every other creature in the dungeon.
>Get up to the second floor and start exploring.
>Walking down the hallway and come to a large entryway.
>Start to Sneak
>Notice a big fucking roach in the middle of the room beyond.
>Turns toward me.
>Nope the fuck out.
>Duck into a side room.
>I hope he didn't notice me.
>Suddenly the walls explode and giant cockroaches start coming out of the goddamn walls.
>COMBAT!!!
>Turn around to run away, Get to the door.
>Enemy turn.
>Big Bad Roach from other room comes around the corner, down the hallway and stops right at the door.
>Other roaches pile in behind me.
It was horrible.
>>
>>389410897
If you're okay with weeb, try out Stranger of Sword City. It's on steam. The company that makes it pretty much does only wizardry style games, except more modern/less rage inducing
>>
File: 1453127762793.jpg (40KB, 411x411px) Image search: [Google]
1453127762793.jpg
40KB, 411x411px
>>389422830
>except more modern/less rage inducing
Stranger of sword city is not very good. its one of those crawlers that is stuck in the wiz 1-3 era, except worse. Do not mistake easier for more modern. Oh and the company that made it is notoriously bad. Honestly, you need to re-evaluate your shit if you think this is good.
>If you're okay with weeb
It's not even good for a weeb game. SMT 1/2/SJ is good. King's Field is kind of good. Stranger is awful.
>>
>>389410897
>Please don't say Grimoire.
Grimwah is unironically a masterpiece for the first 25 hours.
>>
>>389410897
just buy grimoire, nigger
>>
>>389411415
Grimrock has top notch atmosphere but the combat sucks balls and the RPG mechanics are very light weight.

It's a recommendable experience overall but it's hardly a Wizardry replacement
>>
>>389426807
Grimrock is a good game to get introduced to CRPGs. Like how MGR:Revengence is a good game to get introduced to hack-in-slash action games.
It's barebones but still really good.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.