[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this game's edginess so acceptable? I'm not

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 8

File: bloodborne.jpg (227KB, 767x1080px) Image search: [Google]
bloodborne.jpg
227KB, 767x1080px
Why is this game's edginess so acceptable? I'm not saying I feel differently, I just don't understand how possibly the edgiest game ever made outside of DmC gets a complete pass from basically everyone.

>the entire game is themed on blood
>you dress like an edgy 15yo's wet dream
>theres a literal katana that transforms into a bigger katana by bleeding the wielder
>theres a mace that transforms into an insanity inflicting bloodmace by impaling the wielder through the stomach
>guns absolutely everywhere
>an actual stat is called bloodtinge
>you heal by consuming blood vials and spilling blood but youre not a vampire
>theres a literal covenant called the vilebloods centered around being a blood collecting psycho
>your ammo is literally blood
>entire premise is about 'being crazy'

I mean... you'd just expect something like this to get annihilated by anti-edge attacks from every direction, but you never hear anyone shit on it for edginess. What makes it okay in this case when so many other games that aren't as edgy get completely shit all over for it?
>>
>OP casts his line in to the water...
>>
>>389408904
The protagonist doesn't talk.
>>
>>389409078
This.
>>
>>389409025
Not baiting, or even shitting on BB. Just very curious why it NEVER gets shit on for the edginess.
>>
Because the game is good. You can get away with a lot of dumb shit if you do it well enough.
>>
File: 705.png (142KB, 720x561px) Image search: [Google]
705.png
142KB, 720x561px
>>389408904
heh... blood...
*drools*
>>
Edginess =/= bad

Something can be good despite or because of being edgy.
>>
that's not how Edge works
>>
Edgy is just a buzzword
>>
>>389409313
Doesn't stop people from shitting on literally ANYTHING edgy. I've seen tons of people shit on the original DMC and DMC3 for being edgy, going as far as to say they're shit games because of it in spite of being some of the most popular action games ever.

This, though? Never gets that hate. Is it JUST because the protagonist doesn't have an edgy personality?
>>
>>389409154
Because it's eldritch-inspired horror. Anything less than maximum edge would be unfitting.
>>
Because it's done tastefully. Dmc on the other hand is obviously self aware.
>>
I think it's all about how the edginess is treated.

Yes, the game looks edgy, but the game never stops to go "Hey look how sick this guy is. He's the coolest guy but grim and edgy too".

It's kinda like a Lovecraftian thing. It's edgy in a bleak and morose way, not a "screw you society, no one understands me!" way.
>>
>>389409428
This. Edgy just means negative/creepy/weird things done in an over the top, ridiculous, or 'more funny than spooky' way.
>>
>>389409154
I consider edgy, like DMC edgy, being like teenage angst cringe pseudo-psycho anger. Like retarded bangs and over-the-top cringey dialogue, violence, clearly people who are trying to be something they really are not.

Bloodborne has subtle, well-written dialogue and superb voice actors and the story is about the succumbing of a society to its base nature. Basically just average people who were naturally kinda shitty, kept doing stupid and shitty things, and now we see their society completely insane and violent. I dont think it seems edgy when you watch the lore proceed from start to finish.

BB isn't some fan fic a teen could make, it's story is very dour, very sad, and nobody makes it out OK. Nobody gets edgy dialogue before they beat some ass. You either just die and end your eternal torment, carry on the torment of others, or turn into a horrific slug creature and god only knows what that entails.

>Guns absolutely everywhere
No fucking shit, would axes being everywhere make it less edgy? Is Halo edgy?
>Bloodbloodblood
Yea it's an interesting game mechanic. Everyone has blood in them IRL idk if you knew that. And the premise is based around extracting super blood from gods and beasts to improve mankind before it all went awry. Its not just bloody for bloods sake.
>>
>>389409478
DMC and DMC3 I legit havent ever seen that complaint

DmC, on the other hand, absolutely
>>
>>389408904
because its a good game.
>>
>>389408904

edgy is more about being nihilistic, which this game is not
>>
File: happy puff.png (210KB, 376x384px) Image search: [Google]
happy puff.png
210KB, 376x384px
>>389408904
Because you're a nincompoop who got easily conditioned by shitposters into thinking dark, gritty things are automatically bad by the overuse of the word "edgy".

In other words you're a sheep who loves peer pressure.
>>
File: IMG_3810.jpg (147KB, 1278x542px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3810.jpg
147KB, 1278x542px
because it feels believable and not forced
>>
>>389409478
You're mistaking DMC with DmC.
Fuck you
>>
there's good edgy and bad edgy.
bad edgy is chuuni shit like devil may cry or no more heroes.
good edgy is kino like bloodborne or until dawn.
>>
>>389408904
There's a difference between something being "edgy" and actualy "dark".

The overall aesthetic, tone and atmosphere contribute to it a lot.
>>
>>389409758
>It's kinda like a Lovecraftian thing.
That's less the Lovecraft stuff and more the Bram Stoker Van Helsing-y stuff.
>>
Because you aren't an anime character, you are a horror game protagonist.
>>
In Bloodborne the dark shit is written into the world itself. The MC is only special in the sense that he can't die. Which isn't even that special in the sense that others exactly like him have come before him and others will probably come after him. And the people within Yharnam aren't complaining about their edginess while doing nothing to get out of it, everyone in Yharnam is either freaking the fuck out and trying to escape before they lose their goddamn minds or they've already lost their minds and there's no hope for them.
>>
Edgy is children/childish things trying to be dark and brooding (see Shadow the Hedgehog and certain anime) while something like Bloodbourne is going for a Gothic/Lovecraft vibe. Nothing wrong with being dark as long as you don't come off as tryhard.

All the Devil May Cry games sans 2 have a tongue firmly planted in-cheek, even the remake.
>>
>>389409478
No one shits on DMC for being edgy, in fact it's not even really edgy. It's like Army of Darkness. Ham turned up to 11 with a OOO SPOOKY coat of paint
>>
>>389412068
i'm only pretending to be edgy :^)
>>
>>389408904
*chops u in half w chikage*
heh, better luck next time, kid
>>
>>389412438
The Cainhurst knights were so powerful that they got absolutely annihilated by guys with triangle hats and wheels. The real question is did they break that bridge themselves or did the Executioners do it? And why don't the Executioners know where Cainhurst Castle is anymore? Or is Alfred the only one left?
>>
Why the f*** does /v/ have to have at least half a dozen soulborne threads at the same time in any given moment.
>>
Its not edgy, its grimdark.
>>
>>389412610
The executioners would have been the ones to do it, because they killed every Cainhurst person there except for the queen.

Either that or the bridge fell to time, but it doesn't seem that long.
>>
>>389408904
Because of what this guy already said.>>389410830

Stop caring about buzzwords and thinking like a general faggot.
>>
>>389411635
This, too.

Anime edgy like DMC just feels like an angster teens wet dream. Edge like Bloodborne draws from decades to centuries old lore and stories.

I'm not saying that makes it better, just that it's easier for most to digest.
>>
Edge requires contrast.

Example of Edge: A character violently beheads a monster in a schoolyard full of kids and then laughs about it.

Example of Not-Edge: A character violently beheads a monsters with no one else around, in a world of distraught people trying to survive a bloodpocalypse, and says nothing because it is his job.
>>
>>389408904
>Why is this game's edginess so acceptable?
ps4 exclusive
>>
>>389409154
>what is sickdark
Dude how new? But like I said >>389415638 is the main reason. If you say anything bad about the game you're a PCbro basically.
>>
>>389409428
>>389409989

This and this. You morons don't even know what the word edgy means anymore.
>>
>>389408904
>bloody
>grim/goth
>lovecraftian
>the setting is a hunting dream

how is it edgy? having the above things doesn't automatically make it edgy
>>
you know that lovecraft guy
bet he was a real edgefag
also shakespeare what a fucking beta edgefag like everyone dies in romeo and juliet what kind of edgy loser would write some shit like that
>>
>>389417958
Don't forget Bram Stoker. And Jonathan Swift. Poe.

What fucking edgelords.
>>
OP is edgy
>>
File: 1492539669200.jpg (7KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1492539669200.jpg
7KB, 200x200px
Because of the atmosphere. Yes, everything has/is blood, but it has context.
>>
>>389410668
Maybe OP just wanted a game centered around taking sperm from the great ones.

>"Oh Good Hunter, let me soothe your anus after the anal ravaging Ludwig gave you"
>"A hoonter must hoont those driven mad by sperm intoxication"
>>
>>389411150
Is NMH really edgy? I though it makes fun of those things. Like the scene with fast forward dialog, although there's real dialogue behind it but whatever, the guy is a moe loving Otaku that makes a masturbating motion to recharge his beam katana and wants to be number one to fuck that blonde girl, what's edgy about that?
>>
File: 1129127472121.jpg (30KB, 526x300px) Image search: [Google]
1129127472121.jpg
30KB, 526x300px
>>389420241
Nigga you better start proofreading this instant
>>
>>389417958
>>389418547

I understand your point, but honestly if you read about lovecraft in detail, he was quite a shut-in and pretty racist, even for his time. He kinda was a contemporary edgelord who's works never really sold well while he was alive....

That being said bloodborne's story never feels comically edgy because the writing, music, and gameplay are all done well. If they hadn't been, it would be awful.
>>
>>389420395
There's a problem with your first example. KiKilng tbe monster in such a violent manner could scar the kids, sure, but it could also inspire them to become strong like that character and protect humanity against monsters, having a positive effect in the long run. Edginess by itself is not bad, like you said, it needs context, but I'm not seeing TEH EDGE there.
>>
>>389420423
>pretty racist, even for his time

I've read about Lovecraft a lot and I don't remember him being some sort of super racist.
>>
>>389412610
They're all dead. The graves you meet alfred at is their own.
>>
>>389408904
See, now this is what bait looks like. If you aren't put this much effort into your bait, then don't bother posting it.
>>
>>389420580
>>389420423
Stop it before they show up.
>>
>>389420575
>Almost had it
I appreciate the attempt though
>>
>>389420580
"Lovecraft spent the worst years of his life living in New York during the 1920s, and much of his disdain for the city can be credited to the high population of immigrants. His short story “The Horror at Red Hook” is a fantastical take on living in the heterogeneous Red Hook. In a letter to Frank Long, Lovecraft articulates his negative attitude toward Red Hook, describing the residents as:

monstrous and nubulous adumbrations of the pithecanthropoids and moebal; vaguely molded from some stinking viscous slime of earth's corruption, and slithering and oozing in and on the filthy streets or in and out of windows and doorways in a fashion suggestive of nothing but infesting worms or deep-sea unnamabilites."

http://www.jasonsanford.com/blog/2016/10/disturbed-by-lovecraft
>>
>>389420580
he really wasn't, it's just sheltered faggots have started reading his works since he's become sort of popular recently and having their bubbles burst is incredibly upsetting to them. Hell, the average /v/ post is probably more racist than Lovecraft.
>>
File: CMAOk-AWwAEjxbH.jpg (33KB, 575x556px) Image search: [Google]
CMAOk-AWwAEjxbH.jpg
33KB, 575x556px
>>389420935
>recently
>over 40 years ago
>>
>>389420935
>>389420580
>When, long ago, the gods created Earth
In Jove's fair image Man was shaped at birth.
The beasts for lesser parts were next designed;
Yet were they too remote from humankind.
To fill the gap, and join the rest to Man,
Th'Olympian host conceiv'd a clever plan.
A beast they wrought, in semi-human figure,
Filled it with vice, and called the thing a Nigger.

Also his cat was called niggerman.
>>
>>389421239
Okay. How is this supposedly "pretty racist, even for his time"?
>>
>>389421239
>Also his cat was called niggerman.
Fuck why didn't I think of that?
>>
>>389420928
what a load of shit. the tl;dr: 5 people are appalled by lovecraft's 'extremism', and as a result they resemble the greater populace. I wonder if the author of that trite knows what the word fallacy means.

For instance, in 1915, a group of individuals organized a revival of the KKK. to try and say Lovecraft was extreme for his time because a select few of his contemporaries were more tolerant is laughably ignorant at best, malicious historical revisionism at worst.
>>
>>389421364
see
>>389420928
dude literally wrote a story where any non-Anglo person was compared to/ the source material for utter cosmic horrors of unspeakable atrocity

I mean, idk what else you need...
>>
>>389421826
And? His racism was more imaginative, but that means next to nothing. A poet is more imaginative than a dullard in describing practically anything.
>>
File: 1504650427990.jpg (500KB, 1920x1202px) Image search: [Google]
1504650427990.jpg
500KB, 1920x1202px
>can't have one, ONE fucking thread on /v/ that doesn't devolve into racism, homosexuality, politics, memes, the rest
>>
>>389422243
Godwin's Law
>>
>>389422243
when idiots that know nothing about history get shellshocked when they learn about niggerman post here, of course it's going to happen.
>>
>>389408904
because the game design and scenery backs it up and immerses you into the world
you dumb fucking cuck
>>
Bloodborne is art. Lovecraft is art.

Edgy cookie cutter anime isn't art.
>>
>>389422243
well if the gay republican nigger frogs weren't a issue we wouldn't have this problem
>>
Is still classy as fuck
>>
Remember "sickdark" threads?
>>
>>389408904
It was a PS4 exclusive which came out a full year after the previous noteworthy PS4 exclusive
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.