[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I usually love JRPGs, and I hate it when people rag on them for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_0293.png (189KB, 250x350px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0293.png
189KB, 250x350px
I usually love JRPGs, and I hate it when people rag on them for being obtuse, but I just fucking give up with this game.

I mean, you make a character relationship stat, but make it impossible to level without grinding; you make in affinity system with settlements, but make it impossible to level even with grinding; you make an interesting world with nothing but "kill x monsters" for side quests.

I sort of like the characters, but I admit that might just be because they have English accents. Shulk is literally a nonentity...Tidus, Yuri from Shadow Hearts, even fucking Sorey had more personality in a pinky finger than he has a test entire body. Which is a shame because I found the rest of the cast (outside Fiora, who only exists rob slobber over his dick) interesting and likable, even the mascot character.

So basically, I'm at the Machina city and I done. I already know how it ends, so I'm not missing out on any surprises at least.
>>
I honestly don't understand people dickriding Shulk, he's an awful shounenshit protagonist and among the worst central characters Monolith ever did, even a fucking Allen had more life in him.
>>
>>389387297

Well, I usually like shounenshit, I mean Luffy has personality, Ichigo could banter; Shulk is more like a harem MC. His whole researcher side is barely even present--I mean, Sorey was bland, but at least his archeology interest didn't just completely disappear once he started adventuring.
>>
>>389386471
there is more than just kill x monsters, but they are good to just accept them because you are going to kill them anyway,
>>
>>389387742

Yeah, every now and then they throw in like one or two non-fetch quests, but 90% of them are exactly that. Why couldn't they do what the Brave games did and just have those quests automatically tic off whenever you kill an enemy?
>>
>>389388046
no because when you accept those quests, it spawns the enemy.
>>
>>389387740
Shulk's only researcher moment happens almost completely offscreen at the end of a game and barely makes any difference as far as his personality goes.
It's honestly baffling that they decided to go with him as MC instead of Dunban.
>>
>>389388296
The japs can only relate to preteen shota boys.
Same thing happened in FFXII with Vaan and Basch.
>>
Nah, shulk is great
Also imo if someone doesnt like the side stuff, the game is really enjoyable if you simply follow the story, restricting your side content to stuff you automatically do "along the way" and maybe some exploration of sidepaths n stuff
Too late for OP I guess, no idea why you would just spoil yourself
>>
>>389387740
wow, is Harem basically only exists out of two girls (and one of them gives him up anyway)
but yeah, the part being him a researcher/engineer isn't very present in the game
actually the devs only had to include the option to craft weapons, which are made by Shulk, damn Shulk could have even crafted the Monado-variants at the Endgame
>>
>>389386471
If you grind and don't do it for having fun with grinding, then you do something wrong.

You can complete the game with occasional sidequests and exploration alone.
>>
>>389386471
>Shulk is literally a nonentity...Tidus, Yuri from Shadow Hearts, even fucking Sorey had more personality in a pinky finger than he has a test entire body.

You didn't play the game shut the fuck up
>>
>>389389796
Age doesn't matter as long as character is good.
Unfortunately Shulk is just shit.
>>
>>389388296
Except most of this stuff happens in the early game, you know, the point where he is a researcher. Before he sets out to get revenge and can't really do research stuff anymore.
And also let's ignore any Heart-to-Hearts that have him talk about tech stuff.
>>
>>389390734
Shulk's dead. He's been dead all along.
>>
My biggest issue was how poorly Melia was presented, the game never really tells you how to use her properly (that is, to control her yourself) and if you let the AI control her she basically becomes death fodder.
>>
>>389389796
>The japs can only relate to preteen shota boys.
Maybe kids do, if you look at the 20-25+ age range they all prefer older protagonists.
And even the younger part of the audience doesn't really care about the MCs, they're in it for the girls most of the times.
>>
File: 66nqcJUfj1qbm81ho1_500.jpg (136KB, 500x442px) Image search: [Google]
66nqcJUfj1qbm81ho1_500.jpg
136KB, 500x442px
The only reason I like this garbage.
>>
Is there any game that can keep up with xenoblade's presentation in terms of cutscenes?
Truly think about this for a second. Look at a couple of cutscenes of this game and compare them to other rpgs.
A great comparision is xenoblade chronicles x.
In X most cutscenes consist of characters standing around, pretty much exclusively using a set of pre canned animations they use dozens of times throughout the game.
The Wii game has HOURS of cutscenes that feature ridiculous amounts of unique animation, amazing cinematogrophy and directing, the music(aside being 10000 times better than in x) tends to be timed extremely carefully with the corresponding scene.
https://youtu.be/Wu8uSjaj_5k?t=48s
Look at this scene for example(spoiler for the endgame btw)
Especially that shot of Shulk's face at the end is so damn good
The game isn't amazingly animated on a technical level, but simply how consistantly unique and expressive each scene is animated blows me away, comparing it to pretty much every other rpg out there
>>
>>389391823
Dunban should've been MC and Melia his love interest.
>>
>>389391906
I don't play games for the cutscenes, and they look painfully average anyway.
>>
>I mean, you make a character relationship stat, but make it impossible to level without grinding; you make in affinity system with settlements, but make it impossible to level even with grinding; you make an interesting world with nothing but "kill x monsters" for side quests.

here's the great thing: you don't have to do any of that shit
>>
>>389387297
>even a fucking Allen had more life in him.

he cucked the two most powerful men in the universe at the same time, how can anyone else compete?
>>
File: 1369885351625.jpg (16KB, 467x396px) Image search: [Google]
1369885351625.jpg
16KB, 467x396px
>>389386471
Stop grinding, then. Most of your EXP comes from quests. Monsters don't give dick all so stop fighting monsters and start doing quests. I guarantee you'll be overlevelled as fuck after just a few quests.
>>
anytime someone brings up something they don't like about xenoblade it's some stupid side shit that's not required. Just don't do them
>>
>>389386471
OP doesn't know how to make gems and is blaming the game.

He probably doesn't have an invincible immortal dunban already either.
>>
>>389386471
>make it impossible to level without grinding
Did you even played the game? You don't have to grind for bosses save one, just use the chain attack
>every side quest is killxmonsters
Every jrpg is like that, I you want quests where you are a delivery boy go play final fantasy xv
>shulk and fiora no personality
Shulk clearly is a sheltered boy that spends all his day in the lab, even at the start of the game other characters tell you that and he is introvert, later in the game he learns how to interact with other people even if just a little.
Fiora is an excellent character, she is clearly worried about shulk because she is in love with him, all right, but that aside she is a very caring person and very kind too as it's shown at the start o the game with his brother, later when she appears she is shown to be more brave about fighting and worried if she'll be able to be human again.
Seriously just put attention to the game, if you don't like it then don't play it, simple as that.
>>
>>389393670
>Shulk clearly is a sheltered boy that spends all his day in the lab, even at the start of the game other characters tell you that and he is introvert, later in the game he learns how to interact with other people even if just a little.
This is so painfully boring i really don't understand why people are even trying to justify this type of protagonists.
I mean, we had a fucking Fei as a Xeno protagonist who actually sees such an amount of shit Shulk would probably blow his own brains out if he was in his shoes. And Fei had multiple lifetimes of shit, existential crisis, serious psychological problems, falling in love with someone, fighting against his previous self and his own father at once, etc.

Same with Fiora. You can make a character whose defining trait is a love story with other character but for the love of god give her actual personality.
>>
>>389394675
comparing literally anyone to fei will end up with them being shit, it's not a fair comparison
>>
File: Xenoblade armor.png (1MB, 1559x467px) Image search: [Google]
Xenoblade armor.png
1MB, 1559x467px
>>389386471
>walking down the street when these guys block your path
What do?
>>
>>389394675
How did Fiora have no personality? A character doesn't need to be complex to be good.
>>
>>389395519
wew never seen the heavy equip for fiora/melia before
>>
>>389386471
>I already know how it ends, so I'm not missing out on any surprises at least.

Only if you were spoiled or played Xenogears do you know how it ends
>>
I feel kind of the same way. I usually like JRPGs and finally picked this up after hearing so much praise about it. I've gotten to Galahad Fortress currently and so far it's been decidedly ho-hum. The world seems interesting but the locations are mostly empty with nothing exciting in them aside from discovering the occasional landmark or hidden area. 90% of the sidequests are MMO tier "kill X/find Y" but at least you tend to naturally complete them just going through the area anyway. Combat got played out fast. Normal encounters feel like they take way longer than they should even when adequately leveled and geared, and boss battles are just build up Chain Attack rinse and repeat. And before anyone accuses me of only playing as Shulk, I switch around between Riki, Melia, and Dunban pretty regularly. I feel like there's an interesting story there and some of the cutscenes did have nice presentations, but the pacing feels kind of off. It's like after Colony 9 gets attacked there's a huge chunk of nothing really happening outside of Shulk's cryptic visions until you get to Prison Island. Even the reveal of the Faces being controlled by humans didn't really carry much impact for some reason. I see people call the plot amazing all the time, but from what I've been told I'm at like the 60% mark so unless shit doesn't actually hit the fan until the last 20% or so I'm not seeing it. I do plan to finish it since I'm apparently over half way done but my motivation has waned a lot.
>>
File: the perfect ass.png (2MB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
the perfect ass.png
2MB, 1600x900px
>>389395519
I would never dare put Fiora in anything but the speed armour.
>>
File: elma ass.jpg (47KB, 643x755px) Image search: [Google]
elma ass.jpg
47KB, 643x755px
>>389397384
>that filename
Not so fast!
>>
File: LWvphkx.jpg (427KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
LWvphkx.jpg
427KB, 1280x720px
>>389397847
Xenoblade's butts are top tier.
>>
Since op shared with us his unpopular opinion I'll share mine, the english dub is overrated garbage and the characters sound fake.
>>
I liked Xenoblade X OST
more
>>
>>389386471
That's another Jap Vidya series ruined for long-time fans.

Thanks jewtendo.
>>
>>389398552
>blaming the Jews for your small penis
>>
>>389398654
Don't respond to him, he shits up every Xenoblade thread and a handful of other JRPG threads with the same exact buzzwords.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.