[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>muh metroidvania but environments all look generally the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 146
Thread images: 24

File: 1495201066195.jpg (228KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1495201066195.jpg
228KB, 1920x1080px
>muh metroidvania but environments all look generally the same
>slow menus with input lag
>doesn't recognize xinput
>awful settings options, awful optimization, awful loading times and stutters due to in-game loading
>music and environments are dull and have no real variety
>every time you get hit it's annoying as fuck
>level and enemy design is deliberately annoying to navigate due to the dev's desire to make a souls metroidvania, meaning he creates artificial difficulty for the 'souls' aspect and tons of unreachable paths everywhere for the 'metroidvania' quota.

seriously this is the most annoying game to play. I played symphony of the night earlier and it was the most addictive game ever, this is like the opposite
>>
>>389369046
I don't know, I'm playing it now and would say the music is fantastic. I could do with less vague "we are aping Dark Soul as hard as we can" dialogue but I think the atmosphere is engaging, and the setting a fun one.

Also I don't really understand how the environment is deliberately annoying. Its deliberately designed to impede you, but with wall climbing and dashing you can zip by basically everything.
>>
>xinput
Werks on my machine
>>
File: 1502937380629.jpg (64KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1502937380629.jpg
64KB, 600x600px
So is this a Hollow Knight thread or what?
>>
>>389369046
confirmed for having not gotten out of the first area
>every time you get hit it's annoying as fuck
confirmed for having to git gud
>>
File: 1477417422057.jpg (146KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
1477417422057.jpg
146KB, 1200x800px
>>389369248
>deliberately annoying
environmental hazards and enemy patterns

for example, there's 2 separate platforms, A and B and a gap between them that you have to jump, but platform A has a little slab (lower height than the platform) on the end of it, so when you want to jump, you just fall onto the little slab and that's exactly when you press the jump button (that now does nothing) and walk off the ledge

enemies that are just annoying to fight, where trying to learn their pattern and having patience and utilizing timing is way less effective than just charging them

one time I was caught between those 2 enemies in the forest area (the ones that after being hit or after dying trigger an explosion that blocks out the area with orange smoke), I couldn't see where I was within the smoke and I had low hp, so I just ran from them and as soon as I had some distance on them, I used the healing power, whereupon I was immediately killed by a venus flytrap hidden in the ceiling.

It's just designed in the most annoying way ever. It's such a huge contrast from Symphony of the Night
>>
>>389371505
>enemies that are just annoying to fight, where trying to learn their pattern and having patience and utilizing timing is way less effective than just charging them
That's definitely not true for me. I wouldn't have beaten the arena if I hadn't taken advantage of openings to heal, for example.

The venus flytrap things have audio and visual tells before striking, not sure what to tell you there.

Also Symphony of the Night has shitloads of repetitive environments, and the upside down castle is more tedious than anything I've encountered thus far in HK.
>>
>>389371846
>I wouldn't have beaten the arena if I hadn't taken advantage of openings to heal, for example.
I recently beat the boss that gives you the dash move by just rushing and spamming attack on her a few times. Every time I tried to sit there and exploit her openings, she would do attacks that would break her pattern, like where she throws her spear and it would actually reach you when you're up against a wall (whereas every other time she throws it from a position where if you're far away from her it won't reach you).

Dark Souls and SoTN are 2 of the best games ever and are exceptionally designed, and are not difficult in any artificial way.

I also loved the inverted castle in SoTN because it totally changed the way you play the environment and it enables you to enter a higher-level-play just at a time when you've become over-leveled and confident in your ability, because now the enemies are all strong again and you need to constantly use more complex moves to get around (flying, super jumping, wolf running, dashing, double jumping).
>>
>>389372815
You mean the second boss, Hornet? The one that you get to before you have access to any special skills? That's the boss you recently beat?
>>
>>389373251
y-yes
>>
>>389369046
Yeah this game was fucking annoying.
>>
>>389373332
Alright, I just wanted to clarify. I would say that the bosses (and combat in general) get more engagin and fun with the addition of dash, but if you don't like the game, I doubt I'll be able to sway you.
>>
>>389369046
it gets a lot better after three or so areas

i'm not as gaga about it as a lot of people but it's a really, really solid metroidvania
>>
>>389373916
I really want to like this game, but every element of the pacing and design is frustrating me. Every time I get a jump wrong or get hit, I don't really feel like it's my fault, I just get really annoyed.

>>389374573
I'll keep playing for a bit, but it doesn't seem like there's anything to look forward to. All areas look samey, even if the ambient color is sometimes different.

Tell me, is there something to look forward to at all? In SoTN yo were constantly looking to make Alucard even sexier and to see the new super unique areas of the castle, his movement was so tight, especially dashing, and you're like "oh, now I can clear this room more efficiently with the wolf run, now I can double jump onto this area, now I can kill this enemy type with 2 hits instead of 3"
>>
>>389369046

play aeria of sorrow. This game looks like shit in comparison and is probably the work of shills
>>
>>389375898
Why Aria of Sorrow? I've heard people say it's the best, but looking at footage of this GBA game doesn't tell me so. How can it be better than SoTN? Alucard was probably the best controlling player character I have ever put my hands on
>>
>>389375842
>Tell me, is there something to look forward to at all? In SoTN yo were constantly looking to make Alucard even sexier and to see the new super unique areas of the castle, his movement was so tight, especially dashing, and you're like "oh, now I can clear this room more efficiently with the wolf run, now I can double jump onto this area, now I can kill this enemy type with 2 hits instead of 3"
Not who you were talking to but there's lots of that in the game. The dash alone gives you a lot of access to areas previously not accessible. I havent finished it yet, but as far as I know there's at least 2 more abilities you collect that open more areas. If you just beat Hornet, you'll realize pretty soon that there's even something simple you can do to give you access to different areas.

As far as customization, the charms give you nice ways to experiment. Some are just stats upgrades and some give you unique abilities. But nothing I've found so far changes your appearance.

There are weapon upgrades.

I'm enjoying everything about the game mate so I don't know what else to say.
>>
for me, it's GOTY
>>
Only valid thing you can complain about is slow menus. Everything else is just false.
>>
>opinion
>opinion & lie
>lie
>lie
>opinion
>opinion
>opinion

Look at that I gave you a "you"
>>
>>389376901
Still mad the dreamers aren't bosses. Every other boss feels like a midboss building up to them.
>>
>>389375842
The input lag may not be your fault, there's a bug (kek) in the game where some controllers won't respond at certain times there are fixes, also make sure you turn off vsync it messes with the fps
>>
>>389377102
how dare he have opinions

t. guy who loves HK
>>
>>389376731
Yeah, that's part of the Metroidvania formula. I was asking because I just haven't seen any of it yet. The artstyle and animation is great, but the visual design of every area is samey, and the sound design and music didn't hook me at all, plus the charms only give you 3 slots, one of which is the compass, and some charms take up 2 slots. What the fuck.

>>389377248
fucking game
>>
>>389377452
>plus the charms only give you 3 slots
you can unlock more
>>
I liked the design of all the characters. Bug aesthetics were good.
>>
I wish this game had about 50% faster movement
>>
>>389377837
A sprint button definitely wouldn't have hurt
>>
>>389369046
>muh metroidvania but environments all look generally the same
Nah that's bullshit and you're a shitposter.
>>
I got halfway through the game and dropped it, the combat was repetitive and the world was just 1 big corridor.
>>
>>389377996
It feels fucking plodding compared to Dead Cells, which really sucks considering I bought both at the same time.
>>
>>389377837
dashmaster charm
walljumping resets your dash
use dash down
there the game is GOAT
>>
>>389377452
There are ways to increase the number of slots. so I wouldn't worry about that. In addition once you have explored areas already you will need to use your compass less and less.

>but the visual design of every area is samey,
The look of zones starts to change more and more as you go through the game. I mean you've only seen 2 zones so far right?
The Forgotten Crossroads and The Green Path? Are you really going to judge the entire game on 2 zones?
>>
>>389378063
>1 big corridor

How the fuck?
>>
>>389377452
>The artstyle and animation is great, but the visual design of every area is samey, and the sound design and music didn't hook me at all, plus the charms only give you 3 slots, one of which is the compass, and some charms take up 2 slots. What the fuck.
I feel like you're two hours into the game and expecting a bunch of crazy shit out of the gate. At 7 hours in I found the double jump. Believe it or not, you do get skills, and upgrades, and find shit if you explore.
>>
>>389377650
Also you can jam in an excess badge at the cost of dmg doubled to you
>>
Don't forget you can also overcharm
>>
>>389378162
>just roll everywhere, it's faster than running!

Even if I didn't loathe that kind of bullshit, how many years will it take my faggot sissy bug to collect all that garbage with his default speed?
>>
>>389378063
its a metroidvania. what the fuck did you want from the combat
the fact that you can attack in three directions and use 3 spells is tons of variety already.
>1 big corridor
truly ebin. by the way, beating the first boss isn't halfway
>>
>>389378293
Yeah the game is actually fucking huge
>>
>>389378385
Roughly 40 hours
>>
>>389378385
theres very few times where your only option is to run forward, and then i agree spamming dash is boring.
but come on. after you get walljump thats the main way to progress in every area afterward, and it's really fun to see how quick you can get through that one room in deepnest
>>
>>389378561
>>389378385
Just use super dash on the open areas, there are enough of them where it pays off.
>>
>>389371505
Symphony of the Night is honestly piss-easy though. It's still a really nice game but the challenge is just non-existent, and part of being challenging is also being frustrating.

I don't want to just reduce it to "get good" but in order for a game to feel like a legitimate challenge--and therefore make completing it feel like a legitimate accomplishment--parts of it have to be designed in a way that don't feel fair. Shit fucks you up, you get mad, try again, and eventually you learn how to beat it. That's not to say that the key to making a good game is to make it as irritating as possible, but I think there's some leeway when a game is making a conscious decision to be difficult.
>>
>>389369046
I was with you untill
>he creates artificial difficulty for the 'souls' aspect
now you just seem like a little shit who only hated the game because it had some actually completely fair challenge because that was a thing both HK and souls did well
>>
>>389378195
I've seen 4 zones or so (excluding the very first zone and the town zone, which are unique because they are not underground), they are indistinguishable, aside from ambient color (blue, green, pink, etc). It's all like 1 tight corridor, you can't jump on platforms from directly below them, it's just very claustrophobic and reinforces the annoying things in the level design

In Dark Souls, things were simple at the start so you can familiarize yourself with the mechanics and how the game generally wants you to play. Hell, in SoTN you get to play as Richter and powered-up Alucard right at the beginning to know what the game is really like, before having it taken away.

HK starts and I'm already going through claustrophobic underground corridors, I only have 4 hit points and I'm forced to jump on small platforms and avoid hyperactive enemies, and forced to spend my early souls on things I should already have to begin with (like a fucking map). I bought 2 mask shards and my health only increased on the first time. What the fuck.

>>389378293
>At 7 hours in I found the double jump
SEVEN hours to get the double jump? I have heard this game is big, but really? Nobody thought this was way too long? In SoTN you get it like, after 1 or 2 hours.
>>
Here's your (YOU)
>>
>>389379236
>nobody thought this was way too long?
Mother fucker, why don't you try playing the game before you complain about it being too long? And you can probably nab it earlier, you just need to explore and find it yourself.

Jesus fucking Christ if you're going to keep bringing up SOTN I'm going to harp on that piece of garbage called the Inverted Castle, which was just padding for the sake of padding.
>>
File: ribi.png (101KB, 643x351px) Image search: [Google]
ribi.png
101KB, 643x351px
best metroidvania ever made coming through
>>
>>389379807
Fuck off pedo
>>
File: 1484073612984.jpg (581KB, 2203x2937px) Image search: [Google]
1484073612984.jpg
581KB, 2203x2937px
>>389379867
>>
>>389376598
>How can it be better than SotN?
By actually being good. Brain dead difficulty, long horizontal corridors filled with nothing but enemies that are frequently traversed (like the one outside of Clock Tower), trivialized platforming and the Inverted Castle being more of a chore than fun make SotN a 7/10 at best. Anyone who thinks that game is well designed is quite frankly a moron, yes it was influential but it's not even a top 5 Metroidvania.
>>
>there are people defending the shitty "muh gray/blue/white corridors" environments
wew l a d
>>
File: EfjKmhP2.jpg (3MB, 3486x2463px) Image search: [Google]
EfjKmhP2.jpg
3MB, 3486x2463px
The map is sexy as fuck though, seriously.

http://imgur.com/EfjKmhP for fullsize
>>
>>389378706
I also thought SoTN was generally easy, but I had save-states, so whenever I arrived at a challenge, I knew I wouldn't have to deal with the bullshit that is a game over in that game that forces you to the main menu and forces you to your last save point. Still, I found some challenge in the early parts of the game, and the early parts of the inverted castle. I think the general ease came from the movement system being so good that you can efficiently dash and gauge effective range with the sword+dash so well.

>part of being challenging is also being frustrating
> in order for a game to feel like a legitimate challenge--and therefore make completing it feel like a legitimate accomplishment--parts of it have to be designed in a way that don't feel fair.
while what you said is interesting, I think you're somewhat off on this. Difficulty in general I think is subjective and can even be attributed to semantics. After all, a 2nd playthrough wouldn't be as difficult. And that's where I think the difference between HK and the games it's trying to emulate are. Dark Souls and SoTN are fair in their challenge. Look, going through an area in Dark Souls and getting to the boss and beating him is an undertaking, but it's fair. You're aware of your surroundings, you don't rush, you gauge enemy distance, you maneuver the environment. Dark Souls is just a game that expects common sense from you, even if it does have a few beginner traps.

HK feels like it's just creating artificial difficulty, with the examples I mentioned early on in the thread showcasing that they're just trying to frustrate you unfairly and normalize that feeling, as opposed to expecting common sense from you. That, and also a lack of game design experience. The movement itself seems unrefined. I like the jumping altitude, but the x axis movement is very floaty and the camera tracking is all fucked up.

It's not even fair to compare this to a game that had real designers work on it
>>
File: bed-of-chaos-large.jpg (132KB, 600x338px) Image search: [Google]
bed-of-chaos-large.jpg
132KB, 600x338px
>>389380998
>Dark Souls is fair with its challenge
3/10 bait, apply yourself.
>>
>>389380894
t. Never played the game
>>
File: 1501085519524.png (179KB, 606x605px) Image search: [Google]
1501085519524.png
179KB, 606x605px
>>389370250
Post more cute bugs.
>>
>>389379683
Yeah but the inverted castle was great until you become over-leveled again. Going through it is genuinely a totally different experience than the normal castle. It got fucked up when I gained like 60+ max HP for beating 1 boss (which is like the equivalent to 15 level ups). Otherwise excellent, and it's optional anyway.
>>
File: Breeta.gif (1MB, 176x195px) Image search: [Google]
Breeta.gif
1MB, 176x195px
>>389381463
>>
>>389369046
Always said it is shit.
>>
>>389381153
>exceptions exist, therefore a general assessment is no longer possible
>>
>>389369046
>>muh metroidvania but environments all look generally the same
"I quit the game 4 hours in"
>>slow menus with input lag
Works on my machine :)
>>doesn't recognize xinput
Works on my machine :)
>>awful settings options, awful optimization, awful loading times and stutters due to in-game loading
Literally all works on my machine :) except for very short freezes every ten minutes or so which can get annoying
>>music and environments are dull and have no real variety
>>every time you get hit it's annoying as fuck
Yeah. Don't get hit
>>level and enemy design is deliberately annoying to navigate due to the dev's desire to make a souls metroidvania, meaning he creates artificial difficulty for the 'souls' aspect and tons of unreachable paths everywhere for the 'metroidvania' quota.
This isn't true at all. Every area has straight-forward level design, as well as some areas you very clearly can't access without an ability you'll get later in the game.
>>
>>389369046
Yeah I bought it soem time ago
I can undertand why some people like but is terrible overrated
>>
Just curious, which version are you using?
I played the GOG version and had 0 problems
>>
>>389381601

I found Crissaegrim from almost instantly in the inverted castle. I assumed it was just a standard drop and was very confused when the game became trivial.

I replayed it at a later date without it, but even the sword in the waterfall (the one with the command attack) is ridiculously powerful.
>>
>>389382187
Exactly what I thought until around six hours in, now it's my GOTY
>>
File: Old computer import 403.jpg (50KB, 293x293px) Image search: [Google]
Old computer import 403.jpg
50KB, 293x293px
>start this game
>no map or anything
>touch you and get hurt enemies
>all the NPCs are just filler whatever characters
>no indication of where you're supposed to go and do
>all the routes are blocked off or inaccessible
>Oh look there's what looks like it could be a helpful character but wait no its just a crying caterpillar man YOU CANNOT INTERACT WITH
>hurr durr this game is 10/10

No this game is boring, aimless, monotone colors and weak in its mechanics, gameplay, exploration 0/5
>>
>>389369046
>OP cries about all zones looking the same
>OP cries about artificial difficulty even though every enemy has a blatant attack queue
>OP cries that it's annoying when he gets hit
>OP later reveals in the thread that he's just beaten the first Hornet fight and has barely had any gameplay progression whatsoever yet

nothing to see here
>>
>>389382182
>invest [unspecified number of hours higher than 4] hours for the game to become good
>w-works on my machine guys :) despite people with 970's reporting lag on a 2D sprite unity game, e-except I get stutters too
>they created a game where it's very annoying and gameplay interrupting to get hit, so don't get hit :)
excellent
>>
File: 1479847240356.png (108KB, 500x616px) Image search: [Google]
1479847240356.png
108KB, 500x616px
>>389382475
>no indication of where you're supposed to go and do
AHAHAHAHA
>>
>>389382475
>boring
>aimless
>monotone colors
>weak in its mechanics
>gameplay
>exploration

The game only has three flaws: periodic freezing, damage on enemy contact, and not doing a good job of making the very beginning engaging to new players
>>
>>389382705
>periodic freezing
???
>damage on enemy contact
So you want the player to be invincible?
>>
>>389382440
glad to hear that
I have to drop it because I didn´t really like the gameplay
>>
>>389382705
so you admit that the game is not good even after FOUR HOURS? how much time do you expect a person to invest before being compensated?
>>
>>389382597
1. 90% of people who have really played the game will tell you it gets better once you make it out of Forgotten Crossroads. I hated the game and refunded it at first. /v/ shilled me into buying on sale again and I learned to absolutely love it once I really tried
2. I have a 970 in my computer right now and have never experienced any technical annoyances others than those very specific freezes. I wish they were fixed too but they aren't bad enough to ruin a great game.
3. Yes, they wanted to really encourage players to learn the right way to fight the various enemies, so that very noticeable hit pause to really make taking damage wince-worthy and unpleasant. Their other option would have been to make all damage more devastating to the player, making the game harder, but that probably wasn't the vision for the game they had
>>
File: Metroidvania Tier List.jpg (1MB, 1148x4532px) Image search: [Google]
Metroidvania Tier List.jpg
1MB, 1148x4532px
>>389382705
>>389382182
Imagine being this sort of seething cuckold. Imagine shitting the bed to this extent because your garbage game gets called out for what it is - a steaming pile of shit lmao.

Let's look at some facts concerning Hollow Shite.
>Non existent difficulty
>Piss poor OST composed by some literal who that clearly can't make good sounding audio for shit.
>Flash based artstyle akin to binding of isaac (large outlines, 0 detail, 0 shading, just simplistic looking shit that your average deviant art novice could shit out)
>Comic relief enemies and bosses that cater towards the braindead Undertale crowd, rather than being intimidating
>Shit rewards for exploring
Woah...I got shit filler-tier crest I'll never ever use....simply epic...
>Juvenile lore made so that retards can develop their own head canon because the devs have so little faith they can make some actual worthwhile lore
>No optional hard as fuck area at the end of the game so that elite players like myself can actually extract some fun out of this dull mess of a game
>Fanbase comprised of nu-male, undertale loving cucks.
Not everybody likes playing baby mode easy shit.
>>
>>389382838
I didn't either, I thought it was floaty and awful. I spend my first try just wishing I was playing Shovel Knight instead

But I swear, once you make it out of forgotten crossroads, the game will rope you the fuck in and you'll really start to understand the genius of the combat
>>
>>389383273
lol imagine being this mad
>>
>>389382920
Yes, I do admit that. It's a big flaw the game has, I'm not going to pretend it isn't there just because I love the game. My point is that once you make it out of the uncertain beginning, you won't regret playing the game up until that point
>>
File: 1491795633825.png (360KB, 1200x450px) Image search: [Google]
1491795633825.png
360KB, 1200x450px
>>389382920
Not that guy, but I would argue against that. My appreciation for the game was fully realized when I got to Greenpath, just after the Crossroads boss. The monotony of the environment that the Crossroads goes away for a much more vivid greenery, more interesting enemies and more interesting aesthetics, and background music that really reaches into you. You also get the dash there from Hornet for needed mobility. Entering Greenpath is like an hour into the game, hour and a half maybe provided you are exploring around and don't already know where to go and don't suck at the game.
>>
>>389383273
HE'S HERE
>>
>>389382819
>So you want the player to be invincible?
No, I want a fighting game, not a platformer. You should be damaged by enemies' attacks, not bumping into their bodies. You could even change the enemy attacks to be more difficult to balance out the change, I wouldn't care. It just doesn't fit the core mechanics of the gameplay at all
>>
>>389383273
Based shitposter kun
Teach me to be a master of falseflagging like you.
>>
>>389383273
>Terraria
Every. Single. Time.
>>
Dunno i hated it for the first three hours but now it's one of my favorite games, the world and atmosphere feel palpable. I also love the ost and listen to it quite often, the areas felt really distinct, especially from a gameplay perspective, most of them have a gimmick that will stand out, I believe i can also name all of them. The secret areas were aplenty and felt meaningful thanks to trinkets and interesting characters that you meet there. Even the collectibles had two plot twists about them.
>>
>>389383367
well, maybe I can give it a second try then
>>
File: 1474093254772.gif (3MB, 333x250px) Image search: [Google]
1474093254772.gif
3MB, 333x250px
>>389383590
>I want a Metroidvania to not be a platformer
Is this the state of neo-/v/?
>>
>>389383745
My biggest tip for learning to love the combat is learning to bounce on enemies and obstacles with your sword. It's endlessly satisfying once you nail the timing
>>
File: 1499389648669.jpg (783KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1499389648669.jpg
783KB, 1000x1500px
>>389383273
la mulana is a fucking myst-like retard, not a metroidvania
>>
>>389383810
>pretending Hollow Knight doesn't draw loads of inspiration from Dark Souls and action fighting games as well
>>
>>389383273
>That awkward feeling when marrow really did turn out to be one of the best metroidvanias
>TFW La-Mulanafag turned out to be pretty cool and added me on steam to help me get through it

It's a weird forest funkish sort of feel
>>
>>389383975
Yes, but it's still a Metroidvania first and foremost. The combat is much more reminiscient of games like Super Metroid than it is of Dark Souls.
>>
>>389369046
Only game I have steam refunded. The movement was clunky, the combat was clunky, the map system was absolute garbage, picking up a million fucking currency items was garbage, the fast travel was shit. I couldn't stand that game and everyone praises it like the second coming of christ.

Ori and the blind forest is a billion times better
>>
>>389383273
Easily the best taste I've ever seen. I'm surprised anybody on a board as casual as /v/ would like such great games.
HK is awful.
>>
File: 1489898569426.png (175KB, 552x383px) Image search: [Google]
1489898569426.png
175KB, 552x383px
>>389384082
anon i only have one thing to say
how the fuck do they expect me to survive the upper right of the basin, and then make it past the ocean of blood
>>
>>389384095
>Yes, but it's still a Metroidvania first and foremost.
In exploration and level design, yes. You're correct. In terms of combat and game mechanics, the game is far more in-depths than most metroidvaniass and is supposed to be about fast reactions, angled attacks, dodging, and powerups that completely alter combat gameplay, rather than just the damage dealt or certain resistances.
>>
>>389384251
>basin
where do you mean? sewers maybe? or reservoir?
>>
File: 1474324960020.png (50KB, 291x303px) Image search: [Google]
1474324960020.png
50KB, 291x303px
>>389382475
Oh, hey DSP, didn't notice you come in.
>>
>>389384509
did he actually play HK?
>>
>>389383273
The most redpilled tier list, honestly.
>>
>>389384482
reservoir, its been a while since i gave it a go. At some point i was close to screaming in frustration, having to deal with pillars of blue bullshit and those shitty flies
>>
>>389384225
>>389384615
you're trying much too hard, anon
>>
>>389384225
>>389384615
The samefagging is getting out of hand.
>>
>>389384509

whatever faggot I know Im right
>>
>>389369046
It's an overated game shilled to oblivion.
>>
>>389383273
>BMD
Surprised other people have even played it. Should be higher up.
>>
>>389383273
Underrated post.
>>
>>389383273
>Terraria
>A Metroidvania
>Elder God Tier
This entire list has to be bait.
>>
>>389384682
reservoir is the hardest area to get past apparently. it's why I sent an invite to la-mulana anon to see if he could help me.
the save point is really far.
to get over the river of blood you need to be jumping on the weird creature covered in the flies and then hit the switches as you're moving along the river. that seems to stop the flies from spawning for a bit. then you jump off at the end and keep heading right until you hit the save point in the necropolis.
getting this save point is the one of the biggest spikes in difficulty other than the final boss who is stupidly hard. i quit at the final boss personally but still love the game
>>
>>389385018
Just notice how many replies by the same Anon it just got. Of course it is.
>>
File: be6.jpg (13KB, 224x216px) Image search: [Google]
be6.jpg
13KB, 224x216px
>>389384725
>>389384734
got the true ending for hollow knight.

Do not buy this game. I barely enjoyed it the whole way through. I am a long time player of castlevania and metroid games. This shit is so uninspired, so dull that the actual gameplay is a complete slog to play through. The game is piss easy and I never lost geo and even the last boss Radiance is easy as fuck.

The story is a straight up rip from dark souls.

>lol the king held the void at bay by using a hollow knight to absorb the light
>lol you are the chosen und-er hollow knight and for the true ending must seal the light away and break the cycle

What else can I say really? The art style is awful.

Do you like Symphony of the Night? Well this is that game instead of the awesome sprite artwork you are alucard if he was made by a tumblr artist. The entire game I was wondering why everyone was shilling this game and this is my theory.

It's the undertale retards who never played a vania game before so this is their first step in the genre so it's SOOOO unique because its "underrated", except the actual combat is floaty garbage and you never feel satisfied killing enemies.

This game is cancer and if you like this game. Kill yourself. You are a worthless mongoloid who enjoys half baked indie games with recycled ideas from Miyazaki. It's boring. Fuck you.
>>
>>389383273
>Rabi ribi that low
>Hollow Knight that low
look at this based anon
>>
>>389385018
>>389385159
>>389385171
still trying too hard
>>
File: 1496217561635.png (170KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1496217561635.png
170KB, 900x900px
>>389385159
>When your second favorite game of all time is capable of making people post this kind of stuff
Hollow Knight is the gift that keeps on giving.
>>
>>389385159
*sigh*
Bapenada
>>
>>389383273
Will la-mulana ever be overtaken?
I doubt even la-mulana 2 can live up to its excellence
>>
>>389383273
hollow knight should be down in the shit tier along with rabi ribi and dust
>>
>>389385803
Came here to post this honestly.
>>
>>389369046
Wrong.
>>
File: that bulborb feel.png (658KB, 1000x857px) Image search: [Google]
that bulborb feel.png
658KB, 1000x857px
>>389382614
Not that anon; I love the game, but I have gotten lost and wandered around looking for those 3 guardian spirits or whatever that are marked on my map. Found one of them in Deepnest, and there was no indication that I would have to go through Mantis Village to get there.
The other one in the Archives was a little more self-explanatory.
No clue how to get to the one in the castle area. The game can be kinda cryptic at sometimes. I'm not saying there needs to be a hand-holding mechanic, but something or someone that drops hints would be nice. Like in LoZ.
>>
I've never seen a good game like this that some people on /v/ had such a hate boner for. Well, maybe Nier:Auto as well.
>>
>>389386091
You don't have to go through mantis village to get there
>>
>>389372815
Hornets easy as hell and a pushover, her attacks are all clearly broadcasted by a yell and if you aren't able to easily doge all of them you're just bad.
>>
>>389386246
>You don't have to go through mantis village to get there
My bad, it's been such a long time since I've played that I've gotten some parts of that meandering about confused.
>>
File: 2MM80.jpg (85KB, 499x748px) Image search: [Google]
2MM80.jpg
85KB, 499x748px
>>389386091
Traveling deepnest is a nightmare but I got the same guy you got and am lost myself

I keep finding things that Im not sure is just a secret or its important

Like the Weavers Den
Is that boss? Whats going on!?!?
>>
File: 1504616547585.png (27KB, 695x467px) Image search: [Google]
1504616547585.png
27KB, 695x467px
>>389378293
>12 hours in
>Best Mantis Lord, Dung Defender and Soul Master
>Haven't found double jump yet

C-can you give me a hint as to where to go without spoiling anything?
>>
>>389386091
Hint: You get there through the City of Tears area
Another hint: The area you are interested in has a slightly different color from the rest
>>
>>389383273
How is Valdis Story?
Had it on my radar for ages but my backlog is too big that I never can make enough time for it.
>>
>>389386628
Either use the key in City of Tears or get the Tram Pass, both will take you to where you need to go.
>>
>>389386584
Right now it's just there for lore, but speculation is that it might be the gateway for future dlc expansion. Like Hornet Campaign.
>>
>>389386628
You gotta go down
>>
>>389383273
>>389386773
Not him but VS is good. The story and characters are shit but the gameplay is excellent.
It has some of the most technical combat in the metroidvania genre.
>>
Will I eventually find out how to get thru the smokey black gates or what?
>>
>>389369046
>>muh metroidvania but environments all look generally the same
It's quite varied though, I don't see how they could have significantly varied the environments more than they did, Deepnest, Greenpath, Fog Canyon, Rain City, Crystal Canyon, Sewers and the other areas are all quite distinct both in playstyle/layout and visual aesthetic

>>slow menus with input lag
>>doesn't recognize xinput
>>awful settings options, awful optimization, awful loading times and stutters due to in-game loading
Works perfectly on my machine, 144fps consistently and very fast loading with no input delay of any sort

>>music and environments are dull and have no real variety
Music is very varied and quote good, shade music still spooks me

>>every time you get hit it's annoying as fuck
Don't get hit so much.

>>level and enemy design is deliberately annoying to navigate due to the dev's desire to make a souls metroidvania, meaning he creates artificial difficulty for the 'souls' aspect and tons of unreachable paths everywhere for the 'metroidvania' quota.
Levels are fine to navigate once you get wall climb and dash, the unreachable paths become reachable with later abilities and it adds to replayability as old areas get new places to explore, and I have no idea what you're talking about with artificial difficulty
>>
>>389387152
You gotta go down
>>
>>389382475
>He hasn't even found the cartographer yet
>He hasn't found a SINGLE grub yet for grub daddy
>He doesn't understand the concept of exploration

Did you play this game for 10 minutes and drop it? I found out what grub daddy was for within 20 minutes of loading the game and found cartographer within 10.
>>
Anyone feeling like revisiting the game's bosses in Boss Rush?

I made a simple mod, some testing would be nice. Steam/Windows only tho.
>>
>>389387152
Yeah, go down. Find your people.
>>
I played this and only heard it compared to dark souls when i came here
>>
>>389388550
Apparently any grimdark difficult game in 2017 is a "dark souls of ...."
>>
>>389388550
>>389388670
The main thing it takes from Dark Souls is how it handles death. I don't think the game is meaningfully improved by the shade mechanic (it feels like it just needlessly complicates dying, it would be enough to just force the player back to the last save point and not remove the money/max energy cap).

The sombre tone of the game probably helps the comparison as well.
>>
File: Iselda.png (40KB, 167x284px) Image search: [Google]
Iselda.png
40KB, 167x284px
This game is basically a comfy metroidvania knockoff.
I really liked the art and most of the environments, especially the vibrant ones, much later in the game the environment start to suck.

The gameplay really isn't special.
It seems to be more based around how to deal with every boss instead of actually investing into your character.
There aren't many offensive abillites, and magic sucks because it's slow and inaccurate, so you end up stacking as much badge passives possible for your most standard attack and survival.

One thing i really hated was finding cornifer in every new area, sometimes i explored 90% of the area before finding him, making me feel trapped in a maze-like pattern.
So i followed a cornifer-only map to make sure that didn't happen again.
At least his wife is hot, and she will be expecting my larvae to pop out anytime soon.
>>
>>389386351
i didn't like the ost so i play while listening to podcasts instead
>>
>>389389351
Heresy
>>
>>389372815
I was a bit bored until Hornet's first fight and i can say that it tends to get fairly better. Not a suoer fan of metroidvanias, but this one seems to get more appealing the more abilites you have, since the bosses will be a bit more fun.

TL;DR I'd say don't drop it if you're willing, take a break then come back. Savor it in small breaks.
Thread posts: 146
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.