[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Nintendo’s Japanese Super Mario Odyssey Twitter has posted

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: hipdrop.webm (885KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
hipdrop.webm
885KB, 640x360px
Nintendo’s Japanese Super Mario Odyssey Twitter has posted a tweet and .gif showing off a move called the “Hip Drop Jump”. The move lets you jump in the air after performing a Ground Pound. The move allows you to use the momentum you gained from the Ground Pound to get an extra bit of jump height, something that a standard jump cannot obtain.

https://mynintendonews.com/2017/09/05/super-mario-odyssey-will-have-a-move-called-the-hip-drop-jump/
>>
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure something like this was also in SM3DL/W.
>>
Just how fat is his ass that a hip drop gives him upward momentum?
>>
>>389337023
It totally was. It was kinda useless there though. I guess it'll have more uses in this game?
>>
File: b2d.png (444KB, 600x587px) Image search: [Google]
b2d.png
444KB, 600x587px
IT'S NOT FAIR
THAT WAS ONE OF SONIC'S MOVES IN sa2
NINTENDO CAN;T GET AWAY WITH STEALING SHIT FROM SONIC ALL THE TIME
>>
>>389337134
mario........ easy on the mushrooms............
>>
>>389337023
>>389337237
if i remember correctly, in 3d world you had to hold crouch to perform the higher jump. in odyssey, it looks nearly istant
>>
>>389336905
why not just use Galaxy's spinjump? or just triple jump

I don't get it
>>
>>389337787

Nah in 3D World you get a higher jump if you jump just as you hit the ground Its the exact same move.

The crouch in 3D World is for the kind of useless backflip, the roll and the rolling longjump.
>>
>>389337339
First off the bouncing attack was introduced in 3K not in SA2
And Second it worked nothing like that Mario move
>>
>>389337973
ah you're right, i forgot. it still seems a lot slower than its odyssey counterpart but it could very well be the gift itself that it's faster

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu4-0yy9y48&feature=youtu.be&t=1m11s
>>
It's inspired by the Americans.
>>
>reading up about movement mechanics in 3d Marios to refresh my memory
>the Galaxy games had a homing ground pound
What the hell, I never knew.
>>
>>389339119
Isn't this just a side-effect of how the crouch jump works? Like, you hold ZL to duck and jump out to gain extra height, similar to the backflip in 64 and Sunshine, but it registers you holding ZL from the ground pound and lets you crouch jump without activating the crouch animation.
Either way, I don't really see the use of it. It doesn't accomplish anything that a pivot jump can't do and it doesn't really increase the skill ceiling or lower the skill floor in any way.
>>
>>389340171
Yes, that was really strange. Felt pretty unnecessary, but it was there. You did a spin and ground pounded at the same time and it'd give your ground pound a very slight homing property. Didn't see the point myself other than to make it easier for players to ground pound some enemies if they had trouble orientating themselves while upside down or something.
>>
>>389337847

Because there is no Galaxy spin jump?... It's just a quick way to do a high jump, every jump technique has its time and place. There wasn't enough room for a triple jump there.
>>
File: 1502735686952.jpg (90KB, 1440x704px) Image search: [Google]
1502735686952.jpg
90KB, 1440x704px
>>389336905
Why does the running and jumping look so damned stiff?
Why is there no momentum?
All they had to do was replicate SM64, for fuck's sake.
>>
>>389340451
It homes in on stars too and I know there were a few green ones where the knowledge would have come in handy. I don't even remember how many times I died trying to get this one in particular.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX0dyKBvDsY
>>
>>389340380
yeah i thought about the pivot jump too. i guess they want to give the players an option similiar to it but that isn't relegated to mario's momentum
>>
>>389341171
That's a good point. You actually wouldn't require any extra space to perform this move and having to crouch down and to backflip might feel too slow and passive.
I really wish Nintendo would release some kind of developer's commentary going through their thoughts behind design choices like this. It'd be really interesting to hear what exactly their idea was.
>>
>>389337847
Triple jump is a completely different function. How would you even find them comparable?
>>
>>389337847
>galaxy spin
Please no. Also, a triple jump might not be viable of you don't have enough space to move laterally.
>>
>>389339845
It's true, our asses have reached the level of rubber.
>>
>>389337847
The galaxy spin jump is just replaced with the hat throw.
>>
>>389340507
You blind nigga what
>>
File: 1470093755698.jpg (154KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1470093755698.jpg
154KB, 640x480px
Can you kill enemies with the hip drop?
>>
>>389343153
What do you think nig nog its a ground pound
>>
>>389340507
Because they perfected his movement in 64, just like how 2D Mario's movement has been perfect since the original. Very few platformers have come close to how good it feels to move with Mario precisely because they got it right on the first try and simply built from that foundation.
>>
>>389337339

inb4 mario steals the drop dash
>>
This reminds me a lot of jumping after a roll jump in Jak and Daxter to gain loads of extra height

I love it
>>
>>389343515
But, that is wrong. They've regressed since 64 in terms of how Mario handles. Sunshine made up for this by having a more expansive moveset and the FLUDD to make for more ways to move around, instead of just having basic movement options that were perfectly tuned.
Ever since then, Mario's moveset has shrunk severely and the handling hasn't ever improved. It's still lacking momentum and weight. 3D World was probably the worst offender since it locked your movement to 8 directions while also having the dumbed down moveset of the Galaxy games. Luckily, the level design was on point and made up for the poor movement.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.