[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do any good players have tips on how to play this game with the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 4

File: xcom-2-3.jpg (182KB, 1902x1080px) Image search: [Google]
xcom-2-3.jpg
182KB, 1902x1080px
Do any good players have tips on how to play this game with the best results? I'm playing on commander and despite my attempts at being tactical and careful, I always come out of missions with gravely wounded or dead.
>>
The best tip anyone can give you is to minimize risk. Before taking any action have a backup plan. If you take a 90% shot as first action and not explore your other options and that shot misses, your chance to fail the entire mission just tripled.
>>
>>389283415
XCOM is a game that demands you play it on easy/normal on the first go through. Doing otherwise is suicide as you currently see.
>>
Reaper scout, 2 snipers in the back court, bring way too many grenadiers, covert op the Avatar project down and focus down The Chosen before advancing, git gud, etc
>>
>>389283415
Blue move everyone before taking your second actions with everyone. Don't do both actions of a soldier immediately.
Only move if you are 100% sure you're not going to trigger a pod you didn't expect. So generally if you don't have concealment, move one soldier forward and then don't move anyone further than him or move through any position where that path makes him look around a new corner or some window or whatever. Always use concealed rangers or reapers to scout ahead if you can.
Don't do full overwatch traps. You can set one or two soldiers on overwatch, but generally, you want to have one or two soldiers left who can actually still react on your turn, instead of missing everything on your overwatch trap and then getting fucked hard.
Use high ground for good aim bonusses/aim penalties for enemies, but take care not to get hit by a grenade up there or to put your soldiers right next to each other. On overwatch these morons sometimes shoot the ground out from under each other.
Cars are basically warcrimes. Look three times at them if they aren't burning before taking cover behind them.
Flank as much as you (safely) can (without risk of triggering new pods).

In terms of strategy layer, build guerilla ops first to get your squad size up. Then do resistance communications, officer autopsy and trooper autopsy in any order and from there pretty much straight to mag weapons from there.
>>
i don't know if they fixed it in 2/WotC, but the "correct" strategy made the game really shit, because how spawning worked. you just have one guy open new sight lines and everyone else just follow him like a conga line or wait, so you don't spawn enemies with half your moves used up. cant really immerse yourself and move the squad tactically with that kinda mechanic.
>>
>>389285592
Concealment mitigates this a lot. Also there's timers on several missions so you can't do infinite blue-move overwatch crawls like you used to in XCOM 1.
But of course it's still optimal when you have no concealment and the mission isn't timed. See: >>389285321
>>
>>389285321
I forgot to tell you to blow up enemy cover with explosives. Also you should always keep in mind that tier 2 and especially tier 3 weapons can break cover very easily when they miss the target.

Oh and always have a flashbang. Using flashbang on a psychic enemy interrupts any psy powers they had active. It also prevents activation of any and all special abilities like the stun lancer melee charge. Doesn't work on robots though, I think.
>>
>>389283415
I´m glad that it seemed sjw to me and I therefor avoid it considering that most people only have bad things to say about xcom 2
>>
>>389286176
Not to mention the super aggravating Codex clone
>>
>>389286397
How does it feel to live your entire life in fear of an imaginary boogeyman?
>>
What are the best items you get from defeating Chosen? Just got the Katana and Shotgun from beating the slut and they don't seem all that great desu.
>>
>>389283415
keep restarting levels until you get better
>>
>>389287557
Also was anyone else hoping they would join you once you beat them for good? When that Assassin seppuku'd I almost teared up because I wanted her to be the Commander's personal alien cumdump.
>>
>>389287557
>they don't seem all that great desu.
How the fuck? They have like 4 superior attachements. The sword has 100% accuracy. The shotgun ignores a ton of armor. And both do more damage than the best respective normal weapons in the game.
That's par for the course by the way.
The other weapons don't differ much. The Warlock gives you a rifle and the hunter gives you a sniper rifle and pistol.
All of these ignore some armor, do more damge and have a shit ton of attachements all at once.
>>
>Warlock starts showing up
>expect shit to go down
>finally get to him and he's just standing in the open
>shoot him with 3 high accuracy shots and kill him
Is he supposed to be this easy, or is the Assassin just a lot more dangerous than him?
>>
>>389288074
Honestly I was most disappointing by the katana, alien hunter weapon is better than it.
>>
>>389287492
>imaginary
so the game isn´t a war based game that for some reason almost exclusively featured "strong wyman" and black men despite the 5 strongest armies in the world all being made up out of 90% white men?
I just don´t like your sjw propaganda that lies about basic facts
>>
>>389288309
I've found Assassin to be most dangerous, Warlock is only tough before you reach him and if he summons a bunch of zombies right in middle of your troop as you're trying to fight off a pod.
>>
>>389288390
A U T I S M
>>
>>389288490
not an argument :-)
>>
>>389284068
>XCOM is a game that demands you play it on easy/normal to avoid the AI getting any bullshit bonuses to their RNG numbers, because the AI is the exact fucking same thing in all difficulty levels, and will completely fuck you if given any additional secret advantages

difficulty above normal literally gives the enemy a free +15 aim on their base stats.
>>
>>389283415
How anti diverse is this game?
As in how many new white male characters does it feature?
The second game was too "diverse" for me
>>
>>389288309
From what I've seen Warlock is mostly dangerous if you leave him alone for too long. Summoning exploding zombies, teleporting enemies, mind control, etc. can all be pretty scary. On his own (and especially if you have mind shields) he doesn't do shit though, barely ever even fires his weapon. I think Assassin is the most immediately threatening Chosen since you're pretty much guaranteed to take at least one hit.
>>
>>389288320
>alien hunter weapon is better than it.
It doesn't hit 100% and it doesn't ignore armor.
The chosen sword with blademaster is fucking hilarious against lost or chrysalids. They run at you although they are 100% guaranteed dead as soon as they move close.
>>
>>389288753
>teleporting enemies, mind control, etc.
I've never seen him do this, are those later game abilities? The only thing he's ever done to me is spawn a couple of exploding zombies every 4 turns, then summon a trooper or two once I close in.
>>
>>389283415
Be aware of your surroundings. Learn engagements. Certain enemies will almost always do certain things. Learn which are priority targets, but also learn when they have no chance of making a move of value. Also remember that the game is more then the tactical side. Are you making good choices with research? Weapon upgrades are always better then armor.

The best skill to learn in the game is sight lines though. Learn when to break off engagements and retreat to better cover. Never try to activate more then one pod at once when your first start out, so never rush into the Fog of War, just go back from where you came.

The strongest weapon in your whole arsenal is always going to be information though. So use things that let you know when it's safe to move forward. Reapers and concealment Rangers for scouting or do the Autopsy for the Captain and then Trooper to get Battle Scanners, Specalists also get Scanning Protocol. These will uncover parts of the map you can't see, so you can make better decisions.
>>
>>389288390
you're scared of virtual women
>>
>>389288390
>so the game isn´t a war based game that for some reason almost exclusively featured "strong wyman" and black men
Yes, it isn't.
>>
>>389289205
I just don´t play games with unrealistic "strong wyman"
>>
>>389289038
Comes with them, I was doing a mission for reapers he showed up and teleported the VIP around for me.
>>
>>389288390
what the fuck did he mean by this
>>
>>389289264
You don't need to repeat what he just said, Anon.
>>
>>389288390
>being such a betacuck you're afraid to even spell women properly
i hope you find help anon, autism is getting easier to treat everyday
>>
File: slipintoacroma.gif (2MB, 512x289px) Image search: [Google]
slipintoacroma.gif
2MB, 512x289px
>>389288390
>>389288523
>>389289264
>>
>>389289205
>>389289773
>>389289484
>>389289435
>>389289370
man it must really be an amazing game if you rather just talk to some guy about female character then actually discuss the game
>>
>>389288390
>derailing actual vidya threads with trolling
Gas yourself.
>>
File: 1397754045748.gif (1MB, 260x204px) Image search: [Google]
1397754045748.gif
1MB, 260x204px
>>389289917
What?
>>
>>389289917
do you even know whats happening in this thread anon?
did you forget to take your meddies when you woke up?
>>
>>389290175
yeah 20 faggots rather talking about anything else then the actual game
>>
I have a stupid question. I just started playing this game yesterday on ps4, how the hell do you use your created characters
>>
>>389290235
you go to /xcg/ to talk about the game, /v/ is for bait
>>
the entire game is nontactics
its frustrating and annoying

having turn limits is against xcom
the game should have just been designed around the time limits, not the previous game, only now with new imposed time limits

beat xcom 2 in free weekend i think i got around 80% or 70% of the way through before cheesing with ez mode because every mission wasn't engaging or interesting, it was the same fucking process, same fucking slog through the poorly designed combat encounters

also the whole "pod" system and enemies getting turns even though you fucking surprise them, is retarded. original xcom, they'd wander and path throughout the area, and if you found them you could attack first

every fucking encounter, you do not attack first, the arbitrary fake stealth beforehand doesn't count, its not part of the game, its a contrived afterthought, same goes with the arbitrary reinforcement bullshit

wasn't even good gameplay mechanics so the end boss fight was just retarded and cheesy , just missle launching 3 dudes at a time and abusing overpowered psi bullshit and the entire last mission just wasnt designed for the engine in mind it was "pushing it to the engine's limits" but in a way that was "oh fuck is it going to crash and im not going to finish this game because free weekend ended 8 hours ago"

got the expansion for 10 bucks due to pricing error, sold that shit on ebay
ill buy the base game + all the DLC bullshit in some reduced bundle like 1.5 years from now when maybe ive forgotten how bad this was
>>
>>389283415
There is no strategy involved in this game, you just have to pray that RNG won't decide to buttfuck you this time. That's all there is to this game.
>>
The hunter did nothing wrong.
>>
>>389290759
thanks for the pasta
>>
>>389292062
mmm no its not pasta im oldfag as fuck and thats my opinion

enjoy making 50 more shill threads for mediocre bug ridden expansion thatll be playable in like 1.2 years , i advice yall to wait until its all fixed, all mods come out, and all bug fixes get released, because playing right now is suicide tier
>>
>>389292978
WOTC is the bug fix, though
>>
>WAAAH ITS NOT LIKE OLD XCOM WITH THE SHIT UI AND THE SHIT GAMEPLAY AND THE SHIT EVERYTHING ELSE NUCOM IS BULLSHIT I HATE TURN LIMITS WAAAAAAH

Why do these threads even get made they only get filled with whiny cunts

Yes I can appreciate the hypocrisy of that statement
>>
>>389293472
Upset that people don't like you're favorite game kid? Perhaps you need a safespace?
>>
>>389293472
see >>389290726
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.