[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the hell is the warcraft franchise so popular? I'v

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 9

File: Warcraft-2-Tides-Of-Darkness-Pc.jpg (201KB, 300x389px) Image search: [Google]
Warcraft-2-Tides-Of-Darkness-Pc.jpg
201KB, 300x389px
How the hell is the warcraft franchise so popular?

I've been replaying warcraft 3 and looking troguh the past games, and everything about it is mediocre. Story, characters, art are all forgettable.
As far as I can tell the only reason anyone cares about blizzard is because of battle.net custom games, korean proleague, and early world of warcraft. It seems like it would be impossible for a company to follow in blizzard's foot steps as everything they have achieved is through pure dumb luck. Brood war become balanced and entertaining by chance, their player base built custom games for battle net, WoW had no competition for that type of mmorpg.
>>
File: 1370447199233.png (152KB, 360x357px) Image search: [Google]
1370447199233.png
152KB, 360x357px
>>389261320
>warcraft 3
>Story, characters, art are all forgettable
>>
>dumb luck
Literally all their projects became hits. Every single one. Blizzard is a goddamn embodiment of success.
>>
>>389261320

Seinfeld isn't funny
>>
File: jones.jpg (79KB, 980x490px) Image search: [Google]
jones.jpg
79KB, 980x490px
>>389261320
THEY'RE PUTTING CHEMICALS IN THE WATER THAT ARE MAKING THE BLIZZARD GAMES POPULAR
>>
File: 1476640802428.jpg (14KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1476640802428.jpg
14KB, 480x480px
>>
>>389261752
>Literally all their projects became hits.
You are right, that is what happened. But how did it happen? That is what I am trying to figure out? What is the formula to their success? If there isn't one then it must be attributed to luck.
>>
>>389262149
If it happens every single time then it's not luck.
>>
>>389261320

The fucking orcs vs humans manual has better lore in it than most games these days, in my opinion.

"Mediocre" isn't a criticism. Use your words you faggot - if you can't expend the effort to your post then why should we put effort into responding.
>>
>>389262149
Blizzard's main success ingredient is polish. Even when their games aren't great like HOTS or HS, they still sport the level of finesse and comfort not found in other games. I could go on for hours about subtle things in Warcraft 3 control and UI scheme, like how a small change like different cursors for different factions radically improves the game.
>>
>>389261320
>How the hell is the warcraft franchise so popular?

It wasn't all that good but it came at a time when the opposition didn't exist.
If you wanted to play an RTS with friends, there existed only 2 options.
C&C and WC2. Both of them sucked for today's standards, but there were literally no games like that out there at the time so people put up with it.
>>
>>389262149
Because everything they do they iterate on the things people did before. WoW was an everquest that felt more responsive and eliminated a lot of what was bad about EQ. Hearthstone came at a time where most CCG on PC were fucking shit and most of them looked and felt like they where made in flash.
>>
>>389261752
It's a self-fullfilling prophecy.
If Blizzard releases a game then a shitload of people buy it because it's made by fucking Blizzard. Since many people buy those games they get huge modding scenes. Now those mods are much more fun than the original games and it gets people to like those games even if they hate the vanilla gameplay.
>>
>>389261320
>by chance
brood war achieves balance by skilled map makers, you dumbo
>>
Turns out ripping off an IP that was popular with grognards but toning down the autism a bit allows it to appeal to nerds in general a lot more.
>>
>>389261320
battle net. its all battlenet. other games at the time basically wanted you to spend real money to do multiplayer, blizzard let you do it for free.
>>
>>389262793
None of the blizzard made maps are balanced.
>>
>>389262878
People don't buy Blizzard games to play the official maps.
>>
>>389262149
they copy what is popular and improve upon it. then they fill it with memes and popculture references. back in the 90s, this wasn't common place so it was interesting/innovative.
>>
>>389261320
mobababies who discovered dota.
>>
>>389261752

what about diablo 3? or heroes of the storm?
>>
>>389262731
yes it's called momentum, look at valve
they haven't done anything original in years. everything since HL2 has been them buying up an indie modding group and paying them to turn their mod into a fully fleshed game
>>
>>389263164
D3 sold fucking shitloads, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it wasn't hugely successful.
>>
>>389263397
I think he meant successful as in a good game, not just profitability.
>>
>>389261320

Warcraft 3 pretty much fucked up warcraft as a whole.
>>
>>389261752
>what is starcraft: ghost
>>
>>389262535
This has only really been the trend from WC3 on though (that game is still receiving updates that fix crashes that happen to 0,001% of the playerbase). SC1 was clunky as fuck which is part of why it "worked".
>>
File: 1492485005403.gif (1MB, 500x424px) Image search: [Google]
1492485005403.gif
1MB, 500x424px
>>389261947
I really like this post.
>>
File: 1373102817993.jpg (314KB, 768x576px) Image search: [Google]
1373102817993.jpg
314KB, 768x576px
>>389262878
>None of the blizzard made maps are balanced.
this one's not bad?
>>
>>389265441
A game that got canceled.
>>
>>389261320
>How is it so popular?
>But it's not all these characteristics that actually made their games popular
You don't like it. Thanks for the blog post though, we definitely needed it. Where can we subscribe?
>>
Blizzard games used to have polish back when they weren't full of SJW hack devs. Truly great detailed experiences that were FUN.

Many devs nowadays have thought more about how to make their game appealing to many people, rather than focusing on what is actually fun for a specific core audience.
>>
>>389262149
Back before 2004?

They made good well rounded games that innovated for their genre's and frankly looked good in the days technology. They built a loyal fanbase on that.

As time has gone on they don't do that anymore. They barely release games at all anymore actually. This is their downfall because some of that talent was rip roaring to make more shit but it just wasn't happening so they moved on.
>>
>>389261320
>pure dumb luck
not really, it's just not possible to do it today with today's standard and the amount of competition

warcraft 3 custom games gave 7 years of fun lan parties and of course dota allstars
>>
>>389262149
Blizzard doesn't do anything novel with their games

The one thing they don't fuck up on is polishing it, even if they release a complete pile of shit like Diablo 3 at launch, there's no denying the game is at least polished and does what it sets out to do very well.
>>
>>389261320
>warhammer was a great licence
>it didn't appeal to the widest audience that are children
>take warhammer and make it more childlish

>Magics is known to be the greatest card game
>it doesn't appeal to the widest audience because it's "too hard"
>make it so children can play it

they just improve everything they touch
unlike almost everyone
they know the importance of the soundtrack for games, they never fell into the "generic orchestral" music, unless they put "memorable" lines over it
they understood the importance of the "community" so they gave the players tools for modding, to the point where it birthed a new genre, they understood the importance of e-sport before everyone and they understood the streaming appeal before anyone

despite the quality of their games, they just manage to be visionary to the point where they become the most common denominator for everything

hell, they could make a musou game and the genre will be popular afterward
>>
>>389262352
if i flip a coin and want it to come heads 10 times in a row, and it does, im pretty lucky
>>
>>389266245
They still have tremendous polish. It's literally all they've got.
>>
File: xjUnnMl[1].png (233KB, 1744x883px) Image search: [Google]
xjUnnMl[1].png
233KB, 1744x883px
>>389261320

cool story that has elves, humans, orcs etc. acting outside of the ULTRA FUCKING POPULAR tolkien bullshit fantasy

>space orcs
>space humans
>mutated trolls that became elves
>orcs breeding with ogres
>orcs breeding with humans
>space goats
>demon space goats
>goats breeding with orcs

but most importantly they are fun
>>
>>389261752

the best part is that 100% of what they did is nothing but a rip off of something else, warcraft is literally warhammer
>>
>>389268145
Good artists copy, great ones steal
>>
>>389268286

ironic because they actually didn't want to steal, they simply didn't get licences for warhammer lol

reminds me of playstation and nitendo

>hurr durr we won't work with you
>ok senpai I'm gonna do my own thing
>massive success
>wtf I love sony now
>>
>I've been replaying warcraft 3 and looking troguh the past games, and everything about it is mediocre. Story, characters, art are all forgettable.
There's way more to games (Blizzard games especially) than story, characters, and art. In fact, the best Blizzard games are when story and characters (not so much art) take a back seat.

Basically, Blizzard make simple, smooth games that are easy to pick up and learn, while still having a lot of depth to them. Anyone can play them, but playing them still feels rewarding because there's always a little complexity, a little more to learn. They don't innovate, they perfect. This is why each of their franchises are landmarks and genre standards. Not because they invented the genres, but they perfected it.
>>
>>389269696
>There's way more to games (Blizzard games especially)
blizzard's way is how to best attract mobile gamers
>>
File: Glad You Could Bake It, Uther.png (233KB, 1744x883px) Image search: [Google]
Glad You Could Bake It, Uther.png
233KB, 1744x883px
>>389261320
>>
File: Scars.png (2MB, 1839x870px) Image search: [Google]
Scars.png
2MB, 1839x870px
I AM MY SCARS
>>
>>389261320
sometimes that is all it takes

Although I would disagree that dumb luck is all that it was. All Blizzard games are polished above and beyond what you can find at the competition.
>>
ASL SEASON FOUR WHEN?
>>
>>389261605

fpbp

it's a bait post you retarded faggots
>>
>>389271215
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sC_SZToF82U

wish i had actually played the WC3 campaign. i was more into C&C myself
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.