[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did it capture the attention of so many? Do you still

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 2

Why did it capture the attention of so many? Do you still play it sometimes?
>>
because it's a good, solid game

yes
>>
>>389244708

Cool atmosphere, lots of replayability thanks to randomized levels, Skinner's box mulitplayer gameplay.

I always thought it was a bit overrated because the gameplay mechanics are almost cookie clicker tier at times but it's still a fun game.
>>
>>389244708
>Why did it capture the attention of so many?
Cool level
Intresting charater
Fun builds and progression
Great art
God tier music

The lack of builds, art and, music is what killed D3 for me

>Do you still play it sometimes?
Rarely. As much as i love it Titan quest is superior in almost every way.
>>
It was a solid game and came out when most were shit

It also had incredible creepy horror atmosphere that 12 year olds like me loved.

>Diablo 3 kids will never know the feel of crawling through two levels of skeletons and spooky mummies to finally reach the ultimate boss
>"Looking for Baal?"
>>
Nah I got tired of the base game years ago
I was playing PoE but there's nothing left to do in the league so I'll play median soon when the patch hits though
>>
Because summoning a bunch of skeletons is fucking cool.
>>
I AM AKA-
THERE IS A PLAC-
>>
It did a lot of things right. I'm surprised at how many other games around its time tried to do the same kinds of thing, but never was quite the same.

>save the game to reset everything, even boss fights
I don't know why more games don't do this. Refighting or farming bosses is fun, even if it feels nonsensical.

>A lot of item generation possibility and the gameplay element to promote looking for item (reloading to refight enemies)
Again, many games try to add item randomization, but it feels tacked on. They either don't have enough stats to make the randomization meaningful, or they don't have the refighting gameplay element so the randomization is ignorable

>Functional, well supported multiplaer

>Great atmosphere

There's a lot of magic in the game. It's not perfect but it has the right mix of about everything.

One of the things that makes replaying it so enjoyable is how it doesn't provide any sort of progression obstacle. You can skip most quests that you don't enjoy and go kill the final boss of each act. In fact you can just happen upon the quest while traveling.
>>
I still play it with ExaGear RPG on my phone
>>
the sound and music in diablo 2 was literally 666/666, it hit 8 year old me like a nuclear warhead

honestly the actual gameplay is a bit shit even if its audiovisually gratifying, I just wish someone could make a worthy successor in atmosphere
dark souls is the closest I can think of that's popular right now, but that game is much more dreamlike, ambiguous and melancholic in its gothicness, playing diablo was like having the wet, hot breath of hell in the back of your neck
>>
Never beat it, got to like the third act or something (whichever comes after the desert and was there a jungle as well? after the jungle then) as a necro and lost interest. this was in like 2005 i think

i did like the music and the world and the atmosphere though
>>
>>389244708
> Do you still play it sometimes?
Yes. Movement, controls and combat in general is much more polished in D3, but builds-items variety in D2 is thousands years ahead of D3.
PoE might have builds variety, but it's as clunky as D2, and more ugly than any Diablo game, so why even bother.
Torchlight II is awesome but lacks replayability, it lasts for 100 hours max.
Didn't liked TQ.
>>
Path of Diablo patch & ladder reset at the end of the month, check it out niggas
>>
>>389245316

Very few game devs seem to understand how to use randomization/procedural generation effectively. This is rather strange because it's a technique probably as old as videogames themselves.

Many devs seem to believe that if you make your game "random" then gameplay will happen by itself, by virtue of giving you a large enough sandbox with enough moving parts to keep the game interesting. And then you end up with games like No Man's Sky where you spend your time doing the same chores over and over and over again and it's a massive bore because there's no real challenge anywhere.

Random gameplay elements need to be manually tweaked to make sure the game remains challenging and fun. Scripted encounters (like boss battles in Diablo) should be added to add a sense of purpose and achievement to the game. Gear generation should be finely tuned to make sure gear progression still works, and you're not given a completely overpowered weapon early on (Borderlands failed that one).

IMO the best example of well crafted procedurally generated world is Dungeon Crawl: Stone Soup. There's a good balance of randomness and scripted locations and encounters. It's random enough that every game feels unique but there's still enough structure to make the game interesting and somewhat predictable (you always know what you're supposed to do, it's how you do it that changes).
>>
>>389244893
>lots of replayability thanks to randomized levels

That's not why it has replay value, retard.
>>
>>389246346

Nice argument, retard
>>
>>389245158
You now speak to Or-
>TRADE
>>
>>389246408
There's nothing to argue. If you can't truly comprehend what it means for a game to have replay value, then you shouldn't be allowed to breathe.
>>
>>389246524

>If you can't truly comprehend what it means for a game to have replay value, then you shouldn't be allowed to breathe.

That seems rather extreme. Why do you think that?
>>
>kill Diablo on hell difficulty
>drops three blues and saigon's wrap
Wow, great game.
>>
>>389246606
Because life is complex, anon...
>>
>>389245429
i think the creative outlet in society is dwindling to selfies and posting your activites as opposed to CREATING. and this is why all games are shit, all of them hell look at music... tell me it isn't so
>>
>>389245158
you have quite a treasure there
>>
>>389246850
nah, you're exaggerating and simplifying things
>>
>>389244708
There was nothing like it:
>Online with bros.
>Jump-in gameplay for casuals.
>Autistic build-tuning for autists.
>Skinnerbox lottery sim to keep people addicted.
>Jew simulator.
>Simple but satisfying combat for it's era.
it's garbage gameplay desu compared to what's out now, but it was good back then and it was fun with friends..
>>
>>389246657
nigga do you want him dropping tyrael's everytime when a full cs clear takes like 3 mins
>>
File: IMG_0820.jpg (178KB, 750x867px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0820.jpg
178KB, 750x867px
>>389244708
>tfw you get a hellfire torch for the first time
>that on hit flame attack
>>
>>389246850

You sound like a teenager. There's always been crappy low effort derivative music, and there's still interesting music being created if you look for it.

Get a complete dump of all NES games or something like that and try to play games at random. Look at the amount of long-forgotten shovelware in there.

The real difference is that making AAA games nowadays is ridiculously expensive so they don't dare taking risks. They make games that are sure to please.

Here's the top hit for 1960 by the way: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im9XuJJXylw

Shit music wasn't invented in 1999.
>>
Diablo 3 completely fucked up in the art and music departments, it felt like blurry WoW tier garbage instead of the grim, gothic, darkly shadowed corridors of 1 and 2

The music just had this malevolent edge, especially in the rogues act

The bosses similarly, were so god awful in the third one, the first one you fight is literally called "the skeleton king" as if they could any more uninspired.

Compare Andariel to the Butcher demon, a terrifying, fast poisoning fast as fuck cunt who comes out of nowhere, and a large flesh blob who fights you in a contrived as fuck arena that serves no real purpose beyond the setting for that fight

Belial vs Duriel, one is a transition fight involving enemy hordes which transforms into a literal WoW tier giant torso with giant arms and dragon's breath fight, and the other is this suddenly you're fucked against in this tiny room against the cleaving freeze happy toothy fuck himself in a man vs demon no bullshit fight to the death

Even the intro, with the unnecessary dialogue, as if it weren't already so very obvious that the prince was Belial, it's almost disney tier drivel

All Duriel says is "Looking for Baal?" in a menacing as fuck voice

Diablo 3 is a stinking pile of shit in everything other than the gameplay department to be quite honest.
>>
>>389247596
>act 1 boss in Diablo 3 is just the Butcher who got bigger and more cartoonish
Mephisto was also creepy as fuck. "My brothers have escaped you" then came this nasty floating motherfucker
>>
>>389247263
>Shit music wasn't invented in 1999.
>disco was a thing.
>>
>>389247213
Playing a maxed IAS strafezon with a torch was incredible. Just a constant stream of fire.
>>
>>389247596
>The bosses similarly, were so god awful in the third one, the first one you fight is literally called "the skeleton king" as if they could any more uninspired.
Is this bait?
>>
lack of competition, a still thriving LAN culture and being one of the original gear treadmills. That's it
>>
It's so sad how incredible D2 is, and how fucking awful D3 is. Fuck Blizzard, I lost all respect for them.

I still go back and play through Diablo 2 every few years though. I've been addicted to PoE for the last four years or so...basically ever since I dumped vanilla D3.
>>
It was good, but only after LoD was released.
>>
>>389248849
D3 is fine if you play it for the first time now
>>
>>389248896
This
And yet it was pretty mediocore before 1.10
>>
>>389247596
Except Diablo literally have a rainbow collection of recolored enemies.
>>
>>389247263
yeah but the curtain of shite music is drapping more and more of the initial vision. the powers that be have more influence THAN EVER to drown the marketplace

you can't disagree with that. your example is an /opinion/ of bad music. doesn't pair well with the fact your birth year won't be near 1960.

modern music is diving unless ur dumb ofc.
>>
Years ago a friend got me on redvex and now I can't play without it and I don't know how to get it.
>>
>>389244708
>Why did it capture the attention of so many?
Drop system was a gamble. Farm the X boss or rare monster for that rune to get better equipment than the rest. Gambling is addicting.

Now you can see it under the guise of drop chests which cost real money.
>>
>>389250475
i used to play with kolbot's folower script,control 1 character and have 7 other players follow you and attack for you the skills you programmed them,it was so fucking awesome,never got caught,good ol' times,multiple necromancers + paladin auras
>>
>>389244708
Because it's an excellent game.
Yes.
>>
>>389250789
people used to pay for bots and items back in the day, now they do it officially and can't be banned for tricking like this.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.