[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any actual differences between anime fighting games?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 1

File: maxresdefault.jpg (206KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
206KB, 1920x1080px
Are there any actual differences between anime fighting games? Maybe it's because I don't play them all that much, but they all seem kind of the same. My only points of references are BlazBlue, Dengeki Bunko, Nitroplus Blasterz, and Arcana Heart 3. I guess Persona Arena is kind of different since I spent most of the game spamming one button.
>>
they have tons of differences
>>
>>389098289
Blazblue and Guilty gear might seem similar but playing one like the other will just lead you to getting curbstomped. Guilty Gear focuses more on okizeme since you can only ever neutral tech in that game. There's also nuances like character weight and Guts rating. Combos are shorter and going for hard knockdowns are your reward for winning neutral. Defensive options are also as strong to balance the strong ofeense the game has

Blazblue is a completely different beast. While Guilty Gear has character gimmicks; they're not as contained in their own sub system as much as BB. The Drive System in Blazblue makes sure that each character has their own unique mechanic for that character. In terms of systems, okizeme is slightly less strong in BB because of tech rolling. What's more obnoxious in BB is the pressure. Stagger pressure for example is a lot stronger in BB due to the nature of jabs in the game. Unlike GG, BB has slower meter gain and doesn't even reward you with meter when you walk apart from Terumi so defensive options like Guard Cancels are few in between, so when you get put into a situation where you're blocking a guy's pressure; it could be quite frustrating especially when your character doesnt have good options or resources to escape the situation. Combos are also longer but unlike earlier installments, they actually hurt. In GG your reward for winning neutral is knockdown>oki; and while in BB that's also true, BB rewards being aggressive with Active Flow state, in which your character has buffed damage, burst recovery and meter gain. The Overdrive powerup mechanic is also heavily capitalized in this game, which not only unlocks more character specific properties; it also rewards you with more damaging combo potential. Character nuance from GG like weight or Guts is also absent so a lot of the things that can work on one character will most likely work on all of them.
>>
>>389099802
I swear, if I wasn't looking this stuff up as I read your post, I would have sworn that you were making shit up.
>>
just like most fighting games in general, they all follow the same principals but have varied system mechanics and characters, which often results in different playstyles and focuses, much like basically every single competitive multiplayer genre ever
>>
>>389099802
To put it short, GG focuses more on okizeme, rewards more meter so you can capitalize more on universal mechanics either defensively or offensively, while BB has more emphasis on character specific sub systems, has stronger pressure game and capitalizes more on the power-up state, the Overdrive system

As for Arcana Hearts; its a completely different beast from GG and BB. The presence of the homing dash mechanic gives more emphasis on air neutral where both you and the opponent take it up in the air, buzzing like flies where you both pick each other off. Clashing in this game is a particularly important state since it reverts both you and the opponent in neutral, and when that happens you better know what good options you have since characters like Kira, the grappler can use this to her advantage easily such as clashing and doing a command grab since both of you are in neutral state. The Arcana system gives all the characters tons of room to experiment with. You can use arcana to cover your characters' weaknesses or even make unfavorable matches for your character even. Its easily one of the best anime fighters out there only held back by its outdated graphics.
>>
>>389098289
>I guess Persona Arena is kind of different since I spent most of the game spamming one button.
Well yeah, I guess at the lowest level of play, they all might seem the same. AH plays nothing like BB though. and Dengeki isn't even like French Bread's other game UNIEL in the slightest.
>>
>>389100145
And shitty netcode

Will the kickstarter have GGPO?
>>
>>389098289
>Are there any actual differences between [specific subgenre]?
Are there any actual differences between shooters?
Are there any actual differences between openworldroguelikesurvivalcrafting games?
Are there any actual differences between ARTS games?
Are there any actual differences between RTS games?
short answer: yes
long answer: do you understand what a genre is? They're grouped together because they're fucking simliar, not because they're different from eachother.
>>
>>389098289
>>389099802
>>389100145
To add; Persona was Arc System Works' attempt to make anime fighters accessible to a wider audience. They removed DP motions and put in 2 button reversals and autocombo so that newer players can do cool stuff as well. Burst can be used a as way to cancel a move either to extend a combo or make them safe, and the Persona card system balances characters; as some characters are heavily Persona dependent, so they will most likely have more Persona cards, while some characters are inherently good even with no Persona.

Of course, the high level stuff Persona offered was completely different from what they peddled. High level Persona is bullshit; tons of scummy setups, unbelievably dirty gimmicks that can lead to touch of deaths or into more terrible situations once you're in them, such as being inflicted with one or more status ailments. It's a very unforgiving game at higher levels, even more so than BB or GG, but that's one of its appeals, as you can do equally bullshit damage and setups as much as the opponent can; and most of the characters in the game have their own special brand of unfair so in a way; its kind of even.
>>
>>389098289
GG(xrd series) has retarded amounts of setplay.

UNIEL is basically street fighter/kof.
>>
>>389100070
Why? He's pretty accurate
>>
>>389101509
Because like I said in OP post, I don't play fighters that much so words like guts, okizeme, pressure (I thought it just meant keep attacking and nothing else), guard cancel, and active flow state seemed like jargon to me.
>>
>>389100861
Nobody cares about UNIEL
>>
>>389101846
I care about UNI
>>
>>389101836
Im sorry if I used jargon; but I've no other way to call the situation like Neutral (Which is pretty much you and the opponent trying to get into each other's range so you can start applying pressure on them). of course, things like Guts etc are all game-specific mechanics so there's really no other way to call them but that.

But without getting so much into the nitty gritty; all these anime fighters look the same to people who're not into them; but theyre all quite nuanced despite having overlapping mechanics like Burst (which is a get out of jail free card when you're getting combo'd that has a cooldown period after use)
>>
>>389101846
I do.
I also really care about Melty Blood.
>>
>>389100861
GG setplay is only a issue against shit like Raven/Leo when he gets in and Elphelt in the corner. The strong defensive tools make shit really balanced play style variety wise. But of course rushdown is also strong especially if you catch someone with almost no meter/no burst at the time/no meter and throw their burst.

Also
>SF
>Not setplay
SFV is worse then setplay its no method to its madness guess for CCs play.

I do love how people spew this "GG is setplay incarnate" meme. Like you don't get a shit ton of viable chances to block. Raven in the games current state is the only character that feels like getting caught it true faggotry. Even Johnny/Sin/Millia feel very doable to escape. Raven is just a fucking unga character with Millia/Ky split ceil/disc level setups.
>>
>>389098289
GG is wildly different from basically every other anime fighter despite basically setting the ground rules for all of them. It's got shorter combos, encourages aggression with basically all of its mechanics, and I like the way it handles meter loads better than basically every other anime fighter.
AH3 plays ludicrously differently to basically any other anime fighter, that game is weird. Can't comment on it too much since none of my friends want to play it (at least, none of them want to play it more than BB or GG or UNIEL).
BlazBlue looks similar to GG (and honestly, a lot of things piss me off because I keep thinking the game'd be better if it actually copied how GG did it rather than doing things differently), but the various little differences in mechanics are kind of annoying and I end up just wanting to play GG instead lol.
maybe if I was better at BB I'd change my mind, but it's a game I play literally only because my friends do

>>389100861
UNIEL is "what if we got rid of all the anime fighter airdash burst shit but still somehow had all the retarded shit you find in anime games anyway"
I really fucking hate that game's extensive use of full-screen/near full-screen moves and shit in particular.
>>
>>389102280
Chil autismo, he never said anything about SF being not setplay heavy. I do agree that raven has autopilot oki though; the character's very one note. Leo on the other hand is actually quite easy to shake off when you know what moves he has that are completely unsafe when he's in stance. I would say Ky is a harder character to shake off once they're in because of all the moves that are either completely safe or puts him in a good position
>>
>>389098289
I play a lot of Melty Blood. It's completely different.
>>
>>389102128
This. People are hella fucking slow and used to slow shit so they cannot see the differences especially spectator casuals. But after you play them you can really see how when people compare a game like DBFZ to GG its nonsense. GGs pace is slower/has more oki at the moment and normals are a lot more important the DBFZ pressure based neutral and dashes.

GG has more KOF/SF esque blockstrings then a game like BB also same with Uniel. BB blockstrings feel more like putting someone in a Marvel 2 string to me. But GG has that frametrap gappy feel SF/KOF does.

Its honestly just the speed though imo people are used to slow games when in reality I've always felt like SF is just a super slow KOF at its core.
>>
>>389102507
I meant Leo was hard to deal with once hes in. Like after landing a confirm with meter in the corner setting down split ceil esque yrc big projectile and going for his shit that will net him more high damage.

Ky is hard to shake off but his neutral is very honest. But knowing what a Ky will do in the neutral doesn't always mean it will be easy to stop him since he has strong normals he can convert with meter and some he can convert at spacings without meter. I love Ky though I started maining him over Faust about a year ago. He feels like GG Ryu with strong oki. Just make good decisions and play smart and you're rewarded no need to play gimmicky or use a lopsided play style.
>>
GG Uniel BB Melty and DBFZ are so fucking different it would blow your mind OP. Not even considering how movesets in anime games compared to a fighter like SF have always felt intentionally extremely more unique to the point it could be a good or bad thing. Mechanically each of those games well sharing a few similar mechanics have their own unique ones.

People usually just see dudes going in on shitty people who cannot block or play neutral and think that is how it is setplay and combos. When in reality at high level games like GG/Uniel have insane neutral same with Melty , BB has insane pressure and DBFZ neutral/pressure looks unique with their own brand of assists and the teleport mechanic at any time.
>>
I came to anime fighters after playing SF and MK, and thinking they were just juggle city, forever. But, once you actually play the games, there are a lot of differences, and the main difference between anime fighters and others like SF is that anime fighters are a lot faster. They are so much faster that it's hard for someone used to other fighters to see what's going on in an anime fighter, and matches can be over so fast you don't even know what happened.

There are a lot of differences in core mechanics between games like BB and GG, like (although I haven't played it myself) BB has the active flow thing which rewards aggressive play, and the way character specific mechanics work.

I picked up P4 Arena, and that's my favourite fighting game now. I like how the auto-combo gives a place for new players to start, but it is generally worse than any other combo a character has so once you actually learn good combos you rarely use the auto-combo (except as an undroppable finisher). The linking in P4A feels really good to me, so I enjoy it more than other anime fighters (or fighters in general), but each anime fighter has at the very least subtle differences that make each game feel completely different to play. What game feels best to you is the one you should choose, and you can only really tell by playing the games (although some mechanics can be an indicator for whether or not you'll like the game).
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.