[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Redpill me on Hollow Knight, Ori and the Blind Forest and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 87
Thread images: 14

File: redpill.jpg (165KB, 460x645px) Image search: [Google]
redpill.jpg
165KB, 460x645px
Redpill me on Hollow Knight, Ori and the Blind Forest and Shovel Knight
>>
Ori is super overrated. Hollow Knight is a wee bit overrated. Shovel Knight is properly rated.
>>
File: 1446806293816.png (4KB, 228x254px) Image search: [Google]
1446806293816.png
4KB, 228x254px
They are all fun platformers, you can't go wrong with any of them if that's what you're aching to play
>>
>>389061535
They're all overrated, shovel knight being the worse of the three.
>>
>>389061270
>hollow knight
decent game, not the greatest metroidvania but close to it, don't listen to la mulana elitists game is fun with a couple flaws that don't matter so much later on
>ori
neat one, easy, comfy, ends too soon hopefuly sequel will be longer, good to pick up when you want to relax
>shovel knight
dunno what to say about this one, played through half of it and lost will to finish it, guess if you liked nes and snes platformers you'll find it amusing
>>
>>389061535
>ori
>overrated
????
>>
All metroidvanias suck. I wish it didn't be like this but it do
>>
File: SOTN.jpg (112KB, 380x384px) Image search: [Google]
SOTN.jpg
112KB, 380x384px
Will the king never be dethroned?
>>
HK has great gameplay and visuals, amazing atmosphere and it's also quite long (around 30 hours) and somewhat challenging.
Ori has amazing visuals and great soundtrack, fairly short and easy.
Shovel Knight is a love letter to ye old platformers, cool soundtrack, cool bosses and super tight controls.

If I had to pick only one, I'd go with Hollow Knight. Also check out Rain World which is my favorite platformer this year. Oh, and The End is Night is nice too if you enjoyed Super Meat Boy.
>>
>>389061936
The only areas Aria doesn't beat it in is graphics and music.
A proper remake of Aria of Sorrow could destroy SoTN.
>>
>>389061270
>Metroidvania in the classical sense
>Fun platformer with some RPG elements
>Fun classical platformer with some RPG elements
>>
>>389061270
Ori is an ok platformer with nice graphics and decent mistical atmoshpere. Shovel knight as a tribute to old SNES games works just fine, but certainly does not deserve all that praise. Hollow knight however is absolutely fantastic: beautiful art, masterful music and atmospere, It's like dark souls done right.
>>
>>389061936
this is the dark souls of metroidvania

hollow knight is the bloodborne
>>
>>389061757
A bunch of people like it more than he does, thus it's literally overrated
>>
I played Ori recently and thought it was pretty amazing. I love how your movement gets progressively better until you're this god of mobility.
>>
Ori and HK are both very good
I haven't played SK
>>
We can agree than he did nothing wrong, right?
>>
>>389062291
>SNES
you mean NES
>>
File: 1468503860276.jpg (92KB, 800x999px) Image search: [Google]
1468503860276.jpg
92KB, 800x999px
>>389061535
>Ori is super overrated.
Who told you this bullshit? There is a lot of things Ori does wrong.
>>
File: Castleroids.jpg (3MB, 2000x8200px) Image search: [Google]
Castleroids.jpg
3MB, 2000x8200px
>>
>>389064526
What does it do wrong?
>>
>>389061270
Good
Shit
Good
>>
>>389064895
everything that's not visuals and maybe music if you're an easily impressed pleb
>>
Didn't finish Ori. Thought it was beautiful though. Might pick up definitive ed

Shovel Knight is great, PK's campaign being my favourite. Beat SK's twice and the others once. I'm not too big on Mega Man (only played 2 and 3) but I really enjoyed this game

Playing Hollow Knight now. NEVER have been big on Super Symphony games, but actually really digging this
>>
File: 1441039498039.png (182KB, 450x417px) Image search: [Google]
1441039498039.png
182KB, 450x417px
>>389061270
All pretty good games, I had a great time with each one. HK is one of the best Metroidvania's I've played in ages, but it takes WAY too long to start getting good movement options. It's got some really fun bosses though, and plenty of shit to explore. Atmosphere is top notch.

Ori is the opposite; you get a lot of cool movement tech pretty early in the game, by the end you'll be zipping around the map no problem. On the other hand, it has really boring combat, mostly consisting of standing near enemies and mashing X until Sein kills them. Its more of a platforming-oriented Metroidvania anyway. It's also got some stellar visuals and music, it's easily the most beautiful game I've played, I'm looking forward to the sequel just to see how much they can improve on it.

Shovel Knight is a really straightforward game that does exactly what it intends to. It's got some tough but fair platforming sections, some memorable music, a huge variety between stages, and pretty good bosses. The free expansions are also phenomenal, Plague Knight turns the game into a CUHRAYZEE action platformer with the right build, and Spectre Knight has some entirely new levels and some extra story to go along with it.
>>
>>389064895
It has some problems regarding the combat, which are exasperated by the lack of enemy variety
>>
>>389064617
>Metroid 1 in the same tier as those other games.
It's garbage
>>
>>389061936
aria of sorrow is better
>>
>>389061270
Hollow knight is pretty much the best game released this year
Shovel knight is "I CLAPPED" tier
>>
>>389061270
Ori is fantastic for what it is. Worth playing imo
Hollow Knight is pretty shitty. I like it far less than Ori. Playing through it felt like a chore.
I haven't playing Shovel Knight because Hollow Knight ruined my trust in the genre.
>>
>>389065531
>I haven't playing Shovel Knight because Hollow Knight ruined my trust in the genre

They're not even the same kind of game, HK is a Metroidvania and SK is a platformer.
>>
>>389065531
Go play Shovel Knight, it's just a straightforward 2D platformer and nothing like HK
>>
>>389061270
They're good games
>>
File: 1360109300527.png (45KB, 700x600px) Image search: [Google]
1360109300527.png
45KB, 700x600px
>>389061270
ori is garbage. it's just boring samey looking linear horseshit broken up by stolen rayman setpieces.

shovelknight is okay.
i haven't played hollow knight.
>>
>>389061936

It never had the throne. It sits at the table with the rest of the royalty though.
>>
>>389065670
Well that's a good thing. Whenever HK and something else is mentioned together, I assume the worst.
>>
>>389061270
I don't know about hollow knight but ori and shovel knight are really good games.
>>
>>389064895
>4 Boss fights. One Rune Circle Shootus and rest are Worms who jump and fall also shoot projectiles. If you want to count escape sequences as boss fights then you have 7 Boss fights.
>Fighting isn't main focus in game so you have auto aim.
>Small amount of enemies, harder versions are only recolors with more hp and dmg. (Could use different enemies and forcing you to use specific skills on them)
>Quite linear not enough connected.
>DLC abilities can be missed and you don't loose too much.
>Story was meh.

Now good shit:
>Visuals were nice.
>Music was great.
>Ginso Tree.
>Abilities were cool as fuck, especially Bash.
>Mobility as main focus of the game and first time in long time I enjoyed backtracking.
>Using enemies and projectiles as boost pads was amazing and chaining abilities to traverse more ground feels great.
>>
>>389061270
>Pretty but tiresome and unpolished game
>no idea.jpg
>Fuckton more fun just because its not a metroidvania
>>
>>389061270
Hollow Knight is more metroidvania and soulsborne than the others, so if you like things like that, you'll be happy.

Ori is great, pretty, and has a wonderful story. It's also a lot harder than it looks.

Never played Shovel Knight, but it's the most easily accessible.
>>
File: 1502566200269.jpg (789KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1502566200269.jpg
789KB, 1920x1080px
>>389061270
You're missing a game, OP.
>>
>>389066307
I agree with all the good shit you wrote.

I didn't have a problem with the "boss fights" or the amount of them. They might have been able to add more, but I think it would have walked the line between just being 'more of the same'.
Normally I'd dislike the auto-aim aspect, but since combat isn't the focus...and later on it's far more advantageous to not kill enemies. So it was an issue that became less over time.
Again, since enemies turn into tools later on...I didn't mind. It's a small detail, but I agree it would've been nice to have more variety.
The map is odd. I like how it was set up, I think it made sense. I think one or two more areas would've been that little bit more that would've payed off.
DLC abilities statement is pretty much on point.
I actually like the story. It was for sure minimal, but there was enough little easter eggs to add. Unlike HK's bullshit "story", Ori felt far more "real".

I want them to keep everything they did with Ori, but add a bigger/better designed map, and place even more focus on difficult and rewarding mobility/platforming.

That was something I thought Rabi did really well. Cleverness with mobility would get you so far in the game.
>>
>>389067367
meme game cashing in the souls meme """"genre""""
>>
>>389067367

One of the ugliest games I've ever played
>>
>>389067375
>I want them to keep everything they did with Ori, but add a bigger/better designed map, and place even more focus on difficult and rewarding mobility/platforming.

All we have to do now is wait my dear anon.
>>
>>389061270

Holly Knight is decent, but bland art style.
Ori is whatever.
Shovel Knight is good.

I had more fun with Pharaoh Rebirth to be honest senpai.
>>
>>389065420
>exasperated
*exacerbated
>>
>>389061270
hollow knight is one of the best metroidvanias to come out ever, rivaling super metroid and SOTN. That said it did nothing new, and won't change the genre.
Ori is a mediocre game that gets carried by god tier visuals, worth the play through
Shovel knight is great, and has become the best 10 bucks I ever spent with all its extra campaigns.
>>
>>389067625
>>389067643
Yeah, but you're not factoring in one thing: It's good.

It takes being a 2D souls game, and lives up to it. Full fledged 20+ hour RPG done by two people that successfully translates the Souls formula down a dimension.
>>
Loved Hollow Knight, thought it was the best Metroidvania since the classics, thought Ori was great but not nearly as good as Hollow Knight, and didn't care much for Shovel Knight because it was just such a lul look how nostalgic fest.
>>
>>389062520
This is correct. Super Metroid is the Demon's Souls
>>
HK is too boring at the start but it picks up
SK is just good, haven't played with the other knights though
>>
>>389067796
Thank you for educating me
>>
>>389067367
Only has three real problems:
the difficulty is all over the place with some early bosses being the worst ones in the game while a lot of the later ones are total pushovers
NG+ isn't worth playing and IIRC even the dev himself said that it wasn't balanced properly
shortcuts are rather pointless since on-foot backtracking isn't really all that important due to the sanctuary guides and a lot of areas don't have anything worthwhile to backtrack to
>>
>>389062291
To be fair when Shovel Knight came out it was an exceptional game for its genre. Can you think of a comparable game from before Shovel Knight?
>>
>>389068058
They didn't translate the souls formula though. Everything those 2 games have in common are things that both games took from metroid/castlevania.
>>
>>389066307
Music is pretty shit honestly, it's lazy basic orchestral shit.
Slow string/piano music that just sounds sad.
It's not like Uematsu, Hamauzu, Soule, etc. who actually use a diverse orchestration and/or styles.
>>
>>389062291
>hk is a soulsborne game
Stop this shitty meme already, they're not even close
>>
>>389061936
It was dethroned by almost every other Metroidvania; it's almost the worst one (only beaten by Harmony of Dissonance). Literally only nostalgiafags think it's the best metroidvania ever, it has way too many problems due to being the first of its kind.
>>
>>389069362
>Uematsu, Hamauzu, Soule
I will check them out, thanks for recommendation.
>>
>>389069594
you're telling me you don't know the composers to Final Fantasy or The Elder Scrolls

and yet you feel the need to try and act like you know anything about music

fuck off teenager, lurk moar
>>
>>389068741
It's a common mistake. It's one of those words that people think they know but often get wrong.
>>
Is Shovel Knight really that fucking good? The price has put me off it so many times.
>>
>>389069963
If you like NES games.
I need minimum SNES graphics.
>>
>>389069664
>Praising the music from TES
>..."try and act like you know anything about music."

Lol. Take your own advice you shitter.
>>
>>389069664
Whoa anon slow down, I never made such a claim. Now I know why I never heard about them because they composed for shitty games so music was so shitty that I didn't cared about checking it out. Dodged a bullet there, thanks fag
>>
File: smiling emote guy.jpg (6KB, 200x143px) Image search: [Google]
smiling emote guy.jpg
6KB, 200x143px
>>389069681
All three are good games because they emphasize what makes a videogame good.

It's not about le ebin deep story, and infact the games make a point to have shallow stories that have lore hidden about. You young kids would call this the "dark souls" method of storytelling, but I call it the Metroid Prime method, since it came first. And each one does it soundly. The gameplay and movement options are tight, the level design is cool and varied, the artstyles lend themselves to being completely unique from eachother without trying too hard to be special snowflakes (IE they're not just lazy pixel cash-ins by tumblr nu-males)

Shovel Knight in particular is a game I have so much trouble with when it comes to explaining how much I love it. I don't like that it's a little on the easy side and it's a little pricey, but the content does give it justification. I got it gifted to me from a friend, so I don't really make much complaint about it, but I'm mostly trying to see it from an outsider perspective who's not sure if 25 bucks is worth dropping on this game. Overall, I'd have to say I love these games.

>>389069963
25 bucks might be a bit steep. I'd say wait until it's on sale for 20 bucks, and then buy it there. It's got so much content that you won't worry about running out for a long time. AND it has an additional singleplayer coming out in about a year's time, mayber shorter.
>>
>>389070028
Have you heard the scores to Oblivion and Skyrim in entirety?
>>389070093
I can tell you're a teenager.
>>
>>389069963
Anon, it used to cost less
but you didn't get it cheap while it was cheap
>>
>>389070159
Yep. In and out of context.

Pretty shit honestly.
>>
>>389064895
The gravity gimmick temple had terrible design.
There wasn't any thought put in it. There was a puzzle part where I thought I had to do something in a specific way and tried 5 seperate times to no avail. I had no clue how to otherwise do it, looked it up and it turns out I was trying the right thing, the gravity attraction is just so shit that it takes 10 tries to get right.
>>
File: 1407806195903.gif (188KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
1407806195903.gif
188KB, 500x333px
>>389070159
Sure thing, you will eventually gain better taste as time progress and you will look back with shame knowing that you were wrong.
>>
plague knight is so fucking good, it should have been a full standalone game
>>
File: tansakus.jpg (3MB, 2000x8200px) Image search: [Google]
tansakus.jpg
3MB, 2000x8200px
Holly Knight is one of the best tansakuvanias out there.
>>
>>389064617

La Mulana really is an overrated game. It's practically the earthbound of castlevanias at this point, I always wonder if people who proclaim how great it is have ever played it.

I mean, it's ok, and better than a lot of that list, but it never blew my mind or anything.

I hope bloodstained will be good. The demo wasn't terrible but it was laughably easy. Again, I know it's a prologue level but still.
>>
>>389070683
>The earthbound of castlevanias
What the fuck? The game has nothing in common with Earthbound, nor is it popular or remembered for any of the reasons Earthbound is. LM isn't mediocre crap remembered for its wacky art style and general aesthetic.

If anything it's the Dark Souls of the genre because of how notoriously difficult it is. But even that's not an apt comparison because it's more difficult than Souls.
>>
>>389070683

I like La Mulana and I'm glad it exists, but I don't like playing it. I like the cnocept of that sort of game revival to give players the option. I prefer more straight forward action exploration games than puzzle exploration games.
>>
>>389070647
How you can post that picture, and then compliment Hollow Knight is a mystery. It's Meh tier at best.
>>
>>389070647
Delete this.
>>
anyone know what the best version of shovel knight is? thinking of picking it up
>>
>>389061936
>>
>>389061270
Ori > Hollow Knight >>> Shovel Knight
>>
>>389070647
>ZX Advent
>>
>>389071036
I like the story, music, setting, and set pieces.
The gameplay is the kind of shit where it being rough and shitty is considered part of the challenge and while I don't hate that it's never really a selling point for me.
Like Dwarf Fortress, it's just annoying to learn and once you master it you notice a ton of small problems in the design that could have been polished or outright avoided.
>>
>>389070146
>but I call it the Metroid Prime method, since it came first.
Thief: The Dark Project did it before Metroid Prime, I'm starting to think you're the young one here.
>>
>>389071907
The difference is that Thief: The Dark Project is garbage, and Metroid Prime was the first one to do it RIGHT.
>>
>>389071907
Thief doesn't have a shallow/minimal story that's mostly in the background
Thread posts: 87
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.