[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>one of the best selling games of all time >no clones

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

File: thumb-1920-485506.png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
thumb-1920-485506.png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>one of the best selling games of all time
>no clones

How come?

Closest I can think of was Quantum Conundrum. Feel free to recommend others
>>
>>389034648
>>one of the best selling games of all time

lol no

Don't get me wrong, I love both portal and portal 2 but it's not a very good seller. Portal 2 only sold 3 million copies
>>
>>389034648
Its hard to clone this game without bordering on copyright infringement. The idea is extremely specific. GTA and Doom clones were a thing because they created more of a genre to themselves. A portal subgenre wouldn't work, or at least Valve probably wouldn't allow.
>>
there was Q.U.B.E. it at least tried to be pretty similar, but don't remember liking it much.
>>
>>389034648
>no clones
Haydee?
Anti-Chamber ?
>>
gimmick game
>>
There have been a lot of first person 3D puzzle games since Portal. QUBE, Quantum Conundrum, Magrunner Dark Pulse, and more.

Some games even ripped off it directly, like Darksiders 1's portal gadget.
>>
>no clones
it spawned a fucking "first person puzzler in a testing laboratory with a quirky announcer" subgenre
>>
>>389036241
Such as?
>>
>>389036283
Other than the ones already mentioned there's also The Talos Principle and Polarity off the top of my head.
The Portal gimmick is too specific to be cloned frequently but there's a billion of games heavily inspired by its formula.
>>
>>389034648
The game itself is already one massive homage to Half-Life, and every FPS after 1998 cloned Half-Life in one way or another.
>>
>>389037416
Half-life was a doom clone tho.
>>
>>389036283
team fortress 2
>>
>>389037764
In some regard every FPS after Doom is, Wolfenstein 3D and Doom solidified the idea of what an "FPS" is. But Half-Life also changed up and added a whole lotta stuff to Doom's formula, in a way no FPS after HL has done again. I'd say all modern FPS take more from HL than they do Doom. Ironically, this even applies to the new Doom game.
>>
>>389037764
>>389038103
But Doom ripped off Maze War.
>>
>>389038103
What im inplying is that every game of a genre can be concerned a clone of the origonal games. Ya they all influence each other but to say its a rip off or clone is not exactly right.
>>
>>389038318
That is true, and I didn't say anything was a rip off. I was just answering OP's question. He asked why people haven't cloned Portal, I said there's no need to bc Portal is intentionally very similar to HL and everything has already taken influence from HL.
>>
You can't just CLONE it, it needs to be MIXED.

Portal + Mirror's Edge: run around in a semi-realistic parkour style, with certain walls allowing you to open portals and stuff
Portal + MOBA: 5v5, the objetive is to reach the other team's "ancient" a number of times. Class based. All characters can use portals in different ways.
Portal + RTS: already done by Blizzard
Portal + 2D Beat Em Up: plays like a beat em up, but you can use portals to move around the (visible) stage, as well as change enemies' and pickups' positions
Portal + Splatoon: ???
>>
>>389034648
Im getting so bored of mixed-race chestlets.
>>
The Talos Principle
>>
>>389039306
All sound shit, stop trying.
>>
Both Darksiders had pretty good portal mechanics.

Admittedly 2 could have done a lot more with the clones and the portals.
>>
what is talos principle
what is antichamber
what is turing test
>>
>>389035102
http://steamspy.com/app/620

10mil
>>
Its not a good game. Only white hipsters who like shit and morty and sam hyde like that shitty game.
>>
File: 1502042328117.jpg (20KB, 306x306px) Image search: [Google]
1502042328117.jpg
20KB, 306x306px
>>389040975
So everyone but you because everone else as shit taste.
>>
>>389039306
Portal mirrors edge one is the only one with potential. Even then you probably would have to make some big changes to make it a good game. The moba idea sounds terrible. Why have a class based game if all your classes are gonna have the same core mechanics?
>>
>>389040975
Despite the subjectivity, it was definitely a unique game. I don't think anything similar had been done before portal and it influenced a lot of indie devs to start producing their own 3D platform puzzler.
>>
>>389040195
I wasn't serious

>>389041284
Same reason every hero/champion autoattacks or levels up or can buy stuff in traditional mobas, I guess. There's a core aspect all share and then some particular things to each. As I said above, it wasn't supposed to be serious, though.
>>
>>389040772
>10 mill
lmao
AssCreed sells that much on average and they arent sold for $2 6 months after releaae
>>
>>389040772
To be fair ,they've given it away for free several times
>>
Quantum conundrum was.
It was also kinda shit.

The woman that made portal left valve to make that game after getting into a shouting match with Gabe because he wouldn't give it the go ahead
>>
>>389043073
i wouldve chosen the extra snacks vending machine too tbqh
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.