[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why was Wizardry 8 a commercial failure? Why has Wizardry been

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 7

File: header.jpg (32KB, 460x215px) Image search: [Google]
header.jpg
32KB, 460x215px
Why was Wizardry 8 a commercial failure?
Why has Wizardry been reduced to creepy animu games and an MMO no one seems to care about?
>>
>>389023650
Autoleveling was too harsh for me desu.
>>
>>389023650
Classic, combat-focused blobber in the era of Infinity Engine and Fallout. It would have been a smash hit if it came out just a few years earlier, but as it was, they released a game that was contrary to all the new trends in cRPGs.
>>
つまんなくてだるい戦闘
敵の数だけは多いぜ!
>>
I've never played this before and started playing it a few weeks ago. Everything about the game is ugly as shit but it has more features than almost any rpg I can think of. If you can get over the game looking ugly as sin it hold up really well. A quick glance at the manual and a couple tactical strategies and you are pretty much good to go.

Sirtech obviously used their budget for efficiency over aesthetics. I was probably most impressed by how many voice options there were to choose from.
>>
>>389023650
If you look at very successfull games released at the same time like Morrowind and gothic, it's pretty clear that people wanted to be the hero, and not control several heroes.
>>
>>389026597
The portraits for the most part are off-looking, but I think the 3D models look pretty good for 2001.
>>
File: Harmony Dragon.jpg (143KB, 1366x725px) Image search: [Google]
Harmony Dragon.jpg
143KB, 1366x725px
>>389023650
>Why was Wizardry 8 a commercial failure?
Same reason as to why every other core RPG was.
>Why has Wizardry been reduced to creepy animu games
?
Wizardry Renaissance is not creepy at all, the only animu Elminage game is also far from being creepy and all the other four games have classic illustrations, unless you conflate all DCs as Wizardry, in which case you are still wrong and you should stop doing that.
>>
File: main-splash.jpg (219KB, 1031x568px) Image search: [Google]
main-splash.jpg
219KB, 1031x568px
>>389027754
>>
>>389027919
And is that creepy?
How?
>>
>>389023650
The same reason of the vast mayority of commercial failures in all human history: no marketing.
>>
>>389027946
It's a massive shift tonally from the classic games, what are you not getting here?
>>
>>389023650
Because I still can't figure out how to get the fucking into to work right
>>
File: Arle9.png (285KB, 364x337px) Image search: [Google]
Arle9.png
285KB, 364x337px
>>389023650
the funniest thing is that the creator of the series is a massive weeaboo, insterting ninja and samurai into a D&D setting.
>>
File: Wizardry-Male-Dwarf.jpg (194KB, 529x748px) Image search: [Google]
Wizardry-Male-Dwarf.jpg
194KB, 529x748px
>>389028263
>Pic-related is called a dwarf.
>He's about the same height as the human.
Wat?
>>
>>389028263
>It's a massive shift tonally from the classic games
No it isn't, races and archetypes are the same, storyline structure is the same, enemies are the same, the only thing I can recall that has been radically changed was spell names.
If you're bugged by a more japanese artstyle that much the problem is yours, and in that case you can still play the Elminage games since they were made by the original JP Wizardry guys and even use old JP Wizardry assetts and artwork.
Also this>>389028452 fucking Hawkwind was a fucking bishie Ninja Elf self insert until 4 where they made him a Monty Python character for laughs, what the fuck are you even complaining about?
>>
>>389028570
>If you're bugged by a more japanese artstyle that much the problem is yours
No my weeaboo friend, my problems pale in comparison to yours. Not to mention it isn't even good Japanese art style, it's cheap and generic.
>>
>>389023650
Its approach to RPG games was contrary to what was viewed as "the hot new thing" at the time. As far as mechanics go, it's pretty much the pinnacle of it's kind, but it didn't look fancy enough and wasn't accessible enough to make an impact. Furthermore sme other RPG heavy hitters came out around the same time and buried it, namely Baldur's Gate 2.

In hindsight, I find it to be an excellent game that has tons to offer and should have had more success that it could garner back then. Would like to see a remake with fancier 3D graphics and world movement. The mechanics underneath are still rock solid.
>>
>>389023650
>creepy
I'm sorry, what?
Has an anime raped you as a kid?
>>
>>389028763
You don't know what weeaboo means, and you have much more serious problems than me since unlike you I enjoy both western and eastern Wizardries and I don't really find anything creepy about them.
>Not to mention it isn't even good Japanese art style, it's cheap and generic.
Sounds perfectly in line with Wizardry, maybe you'd prefer the old Jun Suemi's artwork which is just as generic but more western, but that's a problem with your garbage taste
>>
>>389029110
>You don't know what weeaboo means
Well you wrote the manual so I'm sure you could get me on a technicality on that one, but your willingness to gobble up trash as long as it has a cheap anime coat of paint is a pretty telling sign of you being a rabid japanophile.
>>
File: 2014-06-12-182411.jpg (198KB, 960x544px) Image search: [Google]
2014-06-12-182411.jpg
198KB, 960x544px
>>389029479
>but your willingness to gobble up trash
Why is it trash? Because you don't like it?
Pic related is cheap "anime" coat of paint, the Renaissance games have fine artwork as far as dungeon crawlers go, which is only surpassed in quality by stuff like Stranger of Sword City.
>as long as it has a cheap anime coat of paint
Nice assumption, I play Wizardy because it's Wizardry, unlike you I don't give a single fuck about artwork if the gameplay is good, I love the Elminage games especially because I can turn off the character artwork(or use my own) and focus on the gameplay which is classic Wizardry but upped to eleven.
So if I am a Japanophile according to you then you are a capeshit lover.
>>
File: wizardry113.jpg (64KB, 530x353px) Image search: [Google]
wizardry113.jpg
64KB, 530x353px
>>389029859
>I don't give a single fuck about artwork if the gameplay is good
Not them, but honestly I'm sure I can says stuff like Labyrinth of Lost Souls even has that going for it.
Wizard 8 set up some very great mechanics that just seem to have been ignored. I liked the free movement, the battle system, and creating your characters and managing your party felt really good.
LoLS is disappointing to me in this regard. I haven't played any of the other Japanese spin-offs though. Are they any better?
>>
>>389023650
The reason why it took a turn to anime graphics is because of its history. Back in the day, the Wizardry series got ported to consoles that were popular at the time (Sega Saturn, FM Towns, etc.).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltlQfsqcIU4

They also got localized anime style graphics, to fit the market. While Wizardry died in the west, the brand was still popular in Japan and got sorta continued there when Sir-Tech went belly up. So, to answer your question, the shift to the anime look came, because the west was too stupid to keep the series alive and running.
>>
>>389030279
>but honestly I'm sure I can says stuff like Labyrinth of Lost Souls even has that going for it.
JP Wizardry is based on the classic trilogy Wizardry, if you want post 5 Wizardry then you have no business playing JP Wizardries because there's nothing that plays like those, as long as you like Wizardry I-II-III gameplay, yeah, JP wizardries are good, very solid even.

Also, keep in mind that the Renaissance series of Wizardry like LoLS isn't done by the actual JP Wizardry devs, the franchise's rights and name were bought by Aquire and became quite a bit more casualized and diluted, what you're looking for is Elminage games, those are made by the original Wizardy devs that also cured the various ports for Wizardy I-II-III-IV and V in Japan, Elminage games even use the classic Wizardry artwork from the old JP games like Wizardry Empires and are really solid and well done games but again, you must like the classic Wizardry trilogy gameplay or Wizardry up to 5 in general, anything beyond that simply doesn't exist.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.